Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gregn21

Re: Breeze Airways - News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:08 am

Anyone know what terminal / gates Breeze will be using at LAX?

evank516

Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:40 am

My 717 flight out of HPN to ATL on 6/25 just got downgauged to a CR9, so capacity is being cut in some areas at least on Saturdays.

The fact that the article shows they’re entering the NY market by going into HPN is misleading since they’ve been in ISP now for a few months. Surprised not to see any further growth from there. This is a lot to add into HPN.

ORD Boy 2

Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:05 am

evank516 wrote:
My 717 flight out of HPN to ATL on 6/25 just got downgauged to a CR9, so capacity is being cut in some areas at least on Saturdays.

The fact that the article shows they’re entering the NY market by going into HPN is misleading since they’ve been in ISP now for a few months. Surprised not to see any further growth from there. This is a lot to add into HPN.

And yet, they still avoid Chicago/Milwaukee/Twin Cities/Detroit...

Manderson12

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:00 am

And Orlando which is a perfect market for the E190/ and the E-195.

CIDFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:28 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
A couple of ideas for where Breeze should try service at next: Mobile (MOB or BFM), Cedar Rapids (CID), Everett (PAE), Orlando (MCO, SFB or MLB), Shreveport (SHV), Wilmington (DE) (ILG), & Branson (BKG).

Would love to see them here at CID.

RMTAviation

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:27 am

Why is Breeze so expensive? Round trip tickets from ISP to anywhere is $300-400, when all the other airlines are around $150? For a new budget airline, that does not really make sense to me.

flightsimer

Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:06 pm

Wneast wrote:
I’m guessing this was not the west coast flights announcement for early May someone said up thread ?

It is not. Rumor is next week but it could slip with the now known A220 delay.

luv2cattlecall

Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:44 pm

flightsimer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
I’m guessing this was not the west coast flights announcement for early May someone said up thread ?

Is May 25th the current target for the first 220 flight?

Flymht

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:48 pm

Do you think breeze could go to MHT?
I think they would fly mht-chs mht-bna mht-las mht-pbi ect..

flightsimer

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:51 pm

luv2cattlecall wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Sounds about right assuming the plane is actually certified. You will just have to look at the schedule to see exactly what date/city pair will be the first.

luv2cattlecall

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:31 pm

flightsimer wrote:
luv2cattlecall wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

Sounds about right assuming the plane is actually certified. You will just have to look at the schedule to see exactly what date/city pair will be the first.

Thanks! Would it be safe to assume that TPA would be the launch base? To help eliminate how many city pairs there are to look through

Wneast

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:43 pm

flightsimer wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Next week hopefully still but if not Imagine probably a couple weeks for a announcement.

airlineworker

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:46 am

BoeingG wrote:
Curious as to why Avelo opted for HVN over HPN (did they consider the latter at all?), and why Breeze didn't.

Why go where other established airlines already are? HVN was ripe for a new carrier and so far it seems Avelo made the right choice. First 4 cities, then 6 and by the end of May it will be 13 cities from HVN.
I don't see where that could have been duplicated at HPN.

CairnterriAIR

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:05 am

BoeingG wrote:
Curious as to why Avelo opted for HVN over HPN (did they consider the latter at all?), and why Breeze didn't.

Pretty much a similar catchment area, Avelo took HVN most likely due to not only a large market, but also an airport without an hour pax cap, room to grow, and probably a lower lease as well as a lot of say in the new terminal to be built which they are contributing too, leading to long term favorable leases and landing fees. Why Breeze didn’t…Avelo beat them to it….though who says they won’t end up in HVN as well? Perfectly feasible serving two airports close to each other.

greenair727

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:47 am

HPN is a better field than HVN---Westchester's longer runway (6549') is about 1000' longer than Tweed's (5600')--more room for safety and options. Also probably more population with the Bronx and all of Westchester County within a closer radius of HPN than you have
within the same radius at Tweed. If it were me and I had first choice between the two airports (i.e., if I were Avelo), I'd pick HPN. I think Maintenance Air (MX) will probably do well at HPN--too bad they didn't pick all their airports so wisely, e.g., CAK over CLE.

chrisnh

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:59 am

Flymht wrote:
Do you think breeze could go to MHT?
I think they would fly mht-chs mht-bna mht-las mht-pbi ect..

As someone from NH now living near CHS, I’d sure like to see this. On the surface, the MHT demographics are solid. What stands in the way are lack of planes and crews. I’m sure MHT is on their list; just how far down that list is the question.

Manderson12

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:48 pm

greenair727 wrote:
HPN is a better field than HVN---Westchester's longer runway (6549') is about 1000' longer than Tweed's (5600')--more room for safety and options. Also probably more population with the Bronx and all of Westchester County within a closer radius of HPN than you have
within the same radius at Tweed. If it were me and I had first choice between the two airports (i.e., if I were Avelo), I'd pick HPN. I think Maintenance Air (MX) will probably do well at HPN--too bad they didn't pick all their airports so wisely, e.g., CAK over CLE.
What is your evidence of CLE over CAK.,thats just you venting your personal opinion. Breeze understands their markets, they have data that non of us have, if they think that CLE is a viable market they will enter into it. Allegiant left CLE also because pricewise it doesnt fit their margins, high landing fees , and high operating cost for a ULCC, but CAK does.

airlineworker

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:43 pm

greenair727 wrote:

Avelo is doing fine at HVN. The 737-700 seems to be made for HVN. 6 N/S cities in Florida and in May, 7 new cities being added. MYR, SAV, BNA, CHS, BWI, MDW and RDU. HVN will be going to a 6635 foot runway. HVN's market is quite large, Bridgeport to Old Saybrook on the coast and many inland towns.
I also think Breeze is expanding too fast and the large order of A-220's could be a problem. Avelo's growth is measured, a few planes added at a time and finding underserved airports is smart and avoids the legacies. Breeze choosing BDL was jumping into the fire whereas they should have chosen ORH. A much larger catchment area with very little competition. Just my 2 cents worth.

greenair727

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:25 pm

Manderson12 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:
What is your evidence of CLE over CAK.,thats just you venting your personal opinion. Breeze understands their markets, they have data that non of us have, if they think that CLE is a viable market they will enter into it. Allegiant left CLE also because pricewise it doesnt fit their margins, high landing fees , and high operating cost for a ULCC, but CAK does.

Just because Neeleman was successful with B6 and other airlines, it doesn't mean he's made the right decisions with MX. The most telling is his choice of airline code----"Maintenance Air." How is that a smart name? He's dooming it to failure from the outset---MX is only better than CX---but lucky for him, CX was already taken. Yes, costs are cheaper at CAK vs CLE, but he will correspondingly attract fewer passengers AND lower fares. I live in CLE. I don't know a single person who would drive all the way to CAK for a flight, meaning he's starting with a smaller population base. People will fly out of CLE and connect if they have to rather than drive an hour south to Canton, OH (the "C" in CAK)--so he just gave up most of Cleveland. CLE had the capacity for MX. If he wanted an airport without the competition, BKL near Downtown Cleveland would have given him that but he chose CAK instead. Just another poor business decision.

orlandocfi

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:13 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Manderson12 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Just because Neeleman was successful with B6 and other airlines, it doesn't mean he's made the right decisions with MX. The most telling is his choice of airline code----"Maintenance Air." How is that a smart name? He's dooming it to failure from the outset---MX is only better than CX---but lucky for him, CX was already taken. Yes, costs are cheaper at CAK vs CLE, but he will correspondingly attract fewer passengers AND lower fares. I live in CLE. I don't know a single person who would drive all the way to CAK for a flight, meaning he's starting with a smaller population base. People will fly out of CLE and connect if they have to rather than drive an hour south to Canton, OH (the "C" in CAK)--so he just gave up most of Cleveland. CLE had the capacity for MX. If he wanted an airport without the competition, BKL near Downtown Cleveland would have given him that but he chose CAK instead. Just another poor business decision.

BKL doesn’t permit scheduled pax service for aircraft over 9 seats, so it was never an option. Neeleman has a proven track record, unlike the armchair CEOs of a.net, so let’s just wait and see how the Breeze story develops.

MavyWavyATR

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:20 pm

If Breeze needs more Embraers in the future, do you think they'll be interested in some of the B6 frames as they exit over there or probably just pick up more from AD?

VS4ever

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:49 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Manderson12 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Guess you forgot the original name for Breeze was “Moxy” hence the MX.

mclc1021

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:55 pm

what happened to the flying in and out of PBI. i know it was on saturdays only however i dont see them to most of their cites in april or may.

flightsimer

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:59 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Manderson12 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Do you really think an Airline Code matters on how an airline is run? Mexicana was the third oldest airline in existence and used that code prior to Breeze. And the original name for the airline was Moxy.

Second, CAK isn’t serving CLE in the Breeze network, it’s serving the Akron/Canton Area. Anyone coming from or going to CLE is just icing on the cake which is why Cleveland, while included, is behind the Akron name in the destination search engine. It’s the same thing with Providence vs Boston. There is nothing preventing Breeze from entering the Cleveland market on its own, but unless the CLE airport is set to shell out big incentives, its not going to happen any time soon.

CIDFlyer

Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:35 am

The whole point of Breeze is to serve underserved markets, hence CAK over CLE

CairnterriAIR

Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:36 pm

greenair727 wrote:

HPN also has passenger caps limiting the numbers of people allowed through per hour. That makes it very difficult to operate a base consisting of multiple 737 rotations daily while operating alongside other carriers in the same environment. Look at what Avelo is operating out of HVN now, and take into consideration they plan to expand. That would be impossible to do at HPN. Market wise, the HVN flights are doing just fine. I’d say 20,000 pax in 100 days on one route alone is pretty solid.

diverdave

Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:07 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
The whole point of Breeze is to serve underserved markets, hence CAK over CLE

Not to mention it is all of 50 miles to CAK - lots of folks would drive that distance to save some money.

David

greenair727

Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:46 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

HPN also has passenger caps limiting the numbers of people allowed through per hour. That makes it very difficult to operate a base consisting of multiple 737 rotations daily while operating alongside other carriers in the same environment. Look at what Avelo is operating out of HVN now, and take into consideration they plan to expand. That would be impossible to do at HPN. Market wise, the HVN flights are doing just fine. I’d say 20,000 pax in 100 days on one route alone is pretty solid.

I didn't know about the pax cap at HPN. That certainly limits growth and hence another questionable business decision by Neeleman/Maintenance Air.

greenair727

Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:48 pm

VS4ever wrote:

Yet they ultimately went with Breeze. You saying they forget to change the airline code when the finalized on the name? Or they just didn't bother? Or that they knew it didn't match "Breeze" and decide to keep "Maintenance--or Moxy" anyway even after they moved away from the name?

lightsaber

Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:33 pm

mclc1021 wrote:
what happened to the flying in and out of PBI. i know it was on saturdays only however i dont see them to most of their cites in april or may.

I'm just looking at the schedules, I find flights on Sturdays, but "gaps.' I don't know why reduced service. That doesn't speak well for demand. Or it could be in all the expansion, Breeze is going seasonal as we exit snowbird season for Florida. I don't know for sure, but there is a reduction from perusing the website.

Lightsaber

altairF28

Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:37 pm

greenair727 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Yet they ultimately went with Breeze. You saying they forget to change the airline code when the finalized on the name? Or they just didn't bother? Or that they knew it didn't match "Breeze" and decide to keep "Maintenance--or Moxy" anyway even after they moved away from the name?

There's a Marriott-owned hotel chain, mostly in Europe but with 26 locations in the U.S., called Moxy. Not sure who thought of the name first but I'm guessing it was the hotel chain and they made Neeleman change it.

WaywardMemphian

Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:46 pm

altairF28 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

There's a Marriott-owned hotel chain, mostly in Europe but with 26 locations in the U.S., called Moxy. Not sure who thought of the name first but I'm guessing it was the hotel chain and they made Neeleman change it.

I've stayed at the Moxy in Copenhagen, my older teens loved it, especially since they were "legal" for the welcoming drink on the house, lol.

krsw757

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:24 pm

greenair727 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

I didn't know about the pax cap at HPN. That certainly limits growth and hence another questionable business decision by Neeleman/Maintenance Air.

Good grief, you sound like someone that has bad beef with Neeleman for some odd reason. So you’re admitting you have no clue about airport operations, yet you’re qualified to question a well known businessman’s decisions.

greenair727

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:47 pm

No beef with Neeleman--I'm just saying he's made some errors, the most ridiculous of which is letting his airline be called Maintenance Air on the side. Just because I don't know HPN's requirements off the top of my head doesn't make me unqualified to critique an airline's overall decisions.

yyztpa2

Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:03 pm

greenair727 wrote:
No beef with Neeleman--I'm just saying he's made some errors, the most ridiculous of which is letting his airline be called Maintenance Air on the side. Just because I don't know HPN's requirements off the top of my head doesn't make me unqualified to critique an airline's overall decisions.

Where does it say Maintenance Air on the side?

lightsaber

Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:43 pm

From what I can tell, in the intended target market (higher end ULCC customers), Breeze has done well enough in mindshare. They just needed range for TCON (a requirement for the customer demographic, in my opinion).
https://www.flybreeze.com/home
For some reason I cannot "preview" the routemap, but what matters is that suddenly LAS, LAX, and SFO are on the map in a fairly represented way:
https://www.flybreeze.com/destinations

When I look at the route map, I see some growth in destinations, but now a need to connect the dots. With a (mostly) less than daily frequency, that should be rapid for Breeze. In the past they were held for hotel and rental car availability. I wonder how well that has cleared up?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/breeze-ai ... ery-order/

yyztpa2 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Where does it say Maintenance Air on the side?

MX is often an abbreviation for maintenance.

I don't see the issue. I'm not sure where any passenger, other than the MX code if they actually had a paper ticket (errr... no, Breeze is all app). The aircraft registrations end in BZ.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=23275725
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Bre ... e-e190.htm

I've always seen a lot of negativity thrown towards new airliners. With Neeleman having a good prior record, we should expect Breeze to have a lot of scrutiny. For myself, as a customer, they really didn't exist until recently. However looking at the fares, I had to check versus my usual airline and was shocked to find out they were... good fares. Apparently the routes Breeze chose, from LAX at least, are in demand. If Breeze keeps up the 60% to 70% load factors, they should make a nice profit this summer.

Huh, I'm going to have to cut back my travel plans with these fares, dang!

Lightsaber

BOSman

Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:02 am

flightsimer wrote:
greenair727 wrote:
Manderson12 wrote:

Do you really think an Airline Code matters on how an airline is run? Mexicana was the third oldest airline in existence and used that code prior to Breeze. And the original name for the airline was Moxy.

Second, CAK isn’t serving CLE in the Breeze network, it’s serving the Akron/Canton Area. Anyone coming from or going to CLE is just icing on the cake which is why Cleveland, while included, is behind the Akron name in the destination search engine. It’s the same thing with Providence vs Boston. There is nothing preventing Breeze from entering the Cleveland market on its own, but unless the CLE airport is set to shell out big incentives, its not going to happen any time soon.

:checkmark: I don't think any passengers will know what "MX" means even if they do see it somewhere, so it isn't an issue.

I do see CLE getting MX service, but that may be a bit down the road. F9, NK, and WN have covered most if not all of the non-hub routes that have enough O&D to warrant nonstop service, but there are some cities like PVD that would do a lot better from CLE than CAK.

I had a friend whose mother would fly FL BOS-CAK when she would go to Cleveland, so there are people who would do that. It's too bad there isn't a train or bus from CAK to Downtown Cleveland as it would make it possible to get there without renting a car or taking a long taxi/UBER ride. I'm surprised BKL has a limit on the size of the plane as I remember that being listed as a possible destination.

ZazuPIT

Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:28 pm

greenair727 wrote:

Your obsession with 'Maintenance Air' is quite odd. Very few people outside of avgeeks have any clue what MX stands for (or most airline codes for that matter). The rest of us really do not seem to care.

greenair727

Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:38 pm

BOSman wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

:checkmark: I don't think any passengers will know what "MX" means even if they do see it somewhere, so it isn't an issue.

I do see CLE getting MX service, but that may be a bit down the road. F9, NK, and WN have covered most if not all of the non-hub routes that have enough O&D to warrant nonstop service, but there are some cities like PVD that would do a lot better from CLE than CAK.

I had a friend whose mother would fly FL BOS-CAK when she would go to Cleveland, so there are people who would do that. It's too bad there isn't a train or bus from CAK to Downtown Cleveland as it would make it possible to get there without renting a car or taking a long taxi/UBER ride. I'm surprised BKL has a limit on the size of the plane as I remember that being listed as a possible destination.

I'm not sure that that BKL aircraft size limit that someone posted is real---I've never heard of it---and BKL can handle 757s--and its certainly had larger, scheduled aircraft in the past.

flightsimer

Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:41 pm

greenair727 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Moxy is the verbal call sign used with ATC. MX, the IATA
Code, was specifically used to reference the Moxy name origins. MXY is the ICAO airline identifier.

Secondly, codes are shared worldwide. BZ is already in use in Greece with BlueBird Airways, so that was never an option.

Marriott started the Moxy Brand Hotels and the company on their own decided to change the company name due to both companies being within the travel industry and not wanting to cause confusion.

flightsimer

Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:53 pm

lightsaber wrote:
mclc1021 wrote:

I'm just looking at the schedules, I find flights on Sturdays, but "gaps.' I don't know why reduced service. That doesn't speak well for demand. Or it could be in all the expansion, Breeze is going seasonal as we exit snowbird season for Florida. I don't know for sure, but there is a reduction from perusing the website.

Lightsaber

Your going to see a lot of fine tuning on the route map this summer. I don’t think it’s necessarily going to be demand based, but rather aircraft and crew availability.

I recently saw on Facebook a video that showed an E195 undergoing heavy maintenance in Costa Rica on fire. That plane was slated to eventually go to Breeze apparently, so they are down one aircraft for expansion. Plus with the delays to the A220 program, the Ejet will be covering A220 flying on a limited basis. It’s already back on all the routes out of TPA through the 25th of May.

jplatts

Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:43 pm

BOSman wrote:

I had mentioned the possibility of WN adding CLE-AUS/SAN nonstop service over in the Cleveland Aviation Thread with (a) the amount of O&D demand that is there to AUS and SAN from CLE, (b) the significant FF bases that WN has in Greater Austin and Greater San Diego to support CLE-AUS/SAN nonstop service on WN, and (c) CLE-AUS/SAN being two of the top routes out of CLE that currently don't have nonstop service out of CLE.

I do understand WN not currently serving AUS or SAN nonstop from CLE with the operational issues that WN is currently facing, even if enough demand is there for CLE-AUS/SAN nonstop service on WN.

PVD523

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:43 am

greenair727 wrote:
BOSman wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

I'm not sure that that BKL aircraft size limit that someone posted is real---I've never heard of it---and BKL can handle 757s--and its certainly had larger, scheduled aircraft in the past.

BKL is certified under FAR Part 139 as a class IV airport, meaning it cannot accept scheduled air carrier aircraft.

SANFan

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 pm

I don't recall Mexicana -- the former 'owner' of the code "MX" -- ever being called Maintenance Air. The code worked fine for them and it works fine now for Breeze.

bb

Jgsushi

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:16 pm

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:47 pm

Avelo already dropping fares to match Breeze.

Both going into a pricing war at MCO seems every dumb, but what do I know.

Wneast

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:22 pm

Breeze going to add a MCO base ?

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:23 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Avelo already dropping fares to match Breeze.

Both going into a pricing war at MCO seems very dumb, but what do I know.

Wneast

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:29 pm

flightsimer

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Wneast wrote:

No, it’s just a single route currently. It actually originates in BDL and is a BreezeThru flight through CHS on Fridays and Mondays on the A220. The other five days of the week it’s a turn out of CHS on an E195.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos