Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BangersAndMash

Re: Austin Aviation Thread - 2022

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:25 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
You’d think the little bit of feed might have been enough. End of the day it seemed like they threw a lot of darts.

Hopefully more will stick, unlike with F9 that added 15+ darts back in 2018, and then eventually took down… 15+ darts.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Looks like AA is terminating AUS-SJU. Not bookable after the end of October, including for the S23 season.

This one always confused the hell out of me. I love what AA is doing in AUS, but that one route never made much sense.

Well I am saying 'look like' since we've seen this before with IAD, right. That was removed as well if memory serves, but it's made a comeback. I guess it could be a temporary measure due to pilot shortage. We'll see, but for now, it's all gone.

PITFlyer330

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:56 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
You’d think the little bit of feed might have been enough. End of the day it seemed like they threw a lot of darts.

Hopefully more will stick, unlike with F9 that added 15+ darts back in 2018, and then eventually took down… 15+ darts.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Looks like AA is terminating AUS-SJU. Not bookable after the end of October, including for the S23 season.

This one always confused the hell out of me. I love what AA is doing in AUS, but that one route never made much sense.

Well I am saying 'look like' since we've seen this before with IAD, right. That was removed as well if memory serves, but it's made a comeback. I guess it could be a temporary measure due to pilot shortage. We'll see, but for now, it's all gone.

IAD was never removed fully just for a few months and they’re doing it now too

Same with VPS

Jshank83

Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:02 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Daily seemed like a stretch but I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work Saturday and/or Sunday only. The normal flight times where it gets into SJU around 3, not a redeye like they have at the moment

BBDFlyer

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:31 am

mikejepp wrote:

Could AUS-HNL be an AA 321xlr route once those arrive?

Yes, in theory.

malev2012

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:29 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Yea that was an oddball route. I'd be curious to see if they can make some other routes with like Tucson, Louisville, and Omaha where Southwest 737-700 143 seaters are too big for those routes but with connections those dots work better than random P2P G4 or F9 routes.

jplatts

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:53 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Yea that was an oddball route. I'd be curious to see if they can make some other routes with like Tucson, Louisville, and Omaha where Southwest 737-700 143 seaters are too big for those routes but with connections those dots work better than random P2P G4 or F9 routes.

TUS might be able to support WN nonstop service out of AUS with the connections that WN would be offering through AUS to DAL, MSY, ATL, and Florida from TUS in addition to AUS-TUS O&D traffic if WN adds AUS-TUS nonstop service.

WN adding AUS-COS nonstop service is a possibility on at least a less-than-daily basis as WN was getting decent load factors on less-than-daily COS-HOU/SAT nonstop service in November 2021 and December 2021.

CLE can probably support nonstop service out of AUS on AA, UA, WN, or NK with CLE being the #1 domestic market in the contiguous U.S. without nonstop service out of AUS by 2022 PDEW's. The PDEW of AUS-CLE/CAK was 70 passengers/day in Q1 2022. There are also a few markets with lower PDEW's to AUS in Q1 2022 than that of CLE/CAK that have nonstop service out of AUS such as JAX and OKC.

malev2012

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

TUS might be able to support WN nonstop service out of AUS with the connections that WN would be offering through AUS to DAL, MSY, ATL, and Florida from TUS in addition to AUS-TUS O&D traffic if WN adds AUS-TUS nonstop service.

WN adding AUS-COS nonstop service is a possibility on at least a less-than-daily basis as WN was getting decent load factors on less-than-daily COS-HOU/SAT nonstop service in November 2021 and December 2021.

CLE can probably support nonstop service out of AUS on AA, UA, WN, or NK with CLE being the #1 domestic market in the contiguous U.S. without nonstop service out of AUS by 2022 PDEW's. The PDEW of AUS-CLE/CAK was 70 passengers/day in Q1 2022. There are also a few markets with lower PDEW's to AUS in Q1 2022 than that of CLE/CAK that have nonstop service out of AUS such as JAX and OKC.

Didn't realize that OKC was that low on PDEW and served daily both on AA and WN. I would guess AUS-TUL is probably even lower. Those flights must heavily rely on connections to fill over 200 seats a day.

jplatts

Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:59 pm

There are some routes that F9 previously served nonstop out of AUS that F9 could re-add such as AUS-ATL/CLE/PHL/PHX/SAN/SFO.

Would F9 take advantage of the opportunity that is now there to resume some of the routes that it previously served nonstop out of AUS due to the planned B6-NK merger?

24Whiskey

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:32 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Didn't realize that OKC was that low on PDEW and served daily both on AA and WN. I would guess AUS-TUL is probably even lower. Those flights must heavily rely on connections to fill over 200 seats a day.

Seeing the fares to TUL not even two weeks out and I don’t think connections are cutting it.

My in-laws live in the TUL area. This summer I’ve regularly seen fares lower than a tank of gas - way lower when you account for two visits at Buc-ee’s along the way…

Since Breeze did SAT-TUL and with AA and WN now doing nonstops from AUS I’ve been getting spoiled. Hope it sticks!

Wacko55

Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:50 pm

Possible direct flights to Asia from Austin explored

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... -explored/

AUSTIN (Austin Business Journal) — As South Korea-based Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. builds its next-generation semiconductor plant in Central Texas, and considers an even larger investment, there is no doubt Austin will see more travelers from Asia in the years to come.

Airlines including British Airways and Virgin Atlantic already fly direct from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to London, and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Germany’s Lufthansa fly direct to mainland Europe.

A direct flight to an Asian business center is the logical next step for one of the nation’s fastest-growing aviation hubs. An international route across the Pacific to Seoul, Tokyo or Hong Kong would further uplift the airport’s status and galvanize the city’s position as an international destination.

Read the Austin Business Journal article about when direct flights from Asia could come to Austin.

Summary of a few excerpts from the ABJ article By Mike Christen – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... strom.html

Article said "Asia makes sense," said Matt Geske, vice president of regional and local policy for the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce. "We have identified target areas for service and now we are looking to Asia."

Went on to say that in 2018, the chamber launched an effort to attract nonstop service from Asia, primarily from Seoul and Tokyo. It partners with the city of Austin through a task force that analyzes the demand for service reinforced by business travel to and from Central Texas.

Also stated that in 2019, Dell Technologies Inc. executive Doug Driskill, then chairman of the task force, told ABJ that securing the first nonstop connection to Asia was "top of mind" and possible within two years. Then came the pandemic, which raised questions about the future of business travel that still linger.

Geske stated that the Austin area is on a record economic development win streak and its global profile has never been higher. Now, Geske said a direct flight from Asia could be announced in 2023 or 2024.

WN732

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:02 pm

Wacko55 wrote:

AUSTIN (Austin Business Journal) — As South Korea-based Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. builds its next-generation semiconductor plant in Central Texas, and considers an even larger investment, there is no doubt Austin will see more travelers from Asia in the years to come.

Airlines including British Airways and Virgin Atlantic already fly direct from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to London, and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Germany’s Lufthansa fly direct to mainland Europe.

A direct flight to an Asian business center is the logical next step for one of the nation’s fastest-growing aviation hubs. An international route across the Pacific to Seoul, Tokyo or Hong Kong would further uplift the airport’s status and galvanize the city’s position as an international destination.

Read the Austin Business Journal article about when direct flights from Asia could come to Austin.

Summary of a few excerpts from the ABJ article By Mike Christen – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal

Article said "Asia makes sense," said Matt Geske, vice president of regional and local policy for the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce. "We have identified target areas for service and now we are looking to Asia."

Went on to say that in 2018, the chamber launched an effort to attract nonstop service from Asia, primarily from Seoul and Tokyo. It partners with the city of Austin through a task force that analyzes the demand for service reinforced by business travel to and from Central Texas.

Also stated that in 2019, Dell Technologies Inc. executive Doug Driskill, then chairman of the task force, told ABJ that securing the first nonstop connection to Asia was "top of mind" and possible within two years. Then came the pandemic, which raised questions about the future of business travel that still linger.

Geske stated that the Austin area is on a record economic development win streak and its global profile has never been higher. Now, Geske said a direct flight from Asia could be announced in 2023 or 2024.

KE is the logical choice here. 787 even less than daily would work. There will undoubtedly be demand especially from that new Samsung plant that is being built. Perhaps an incentive for DL to spoke out that focus city that they never really jumped on. Asia will happen eventually, Austin is primed for it. Just a matter between JAL and KE at this point.

malev2012

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:38 pm

WN732 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

KE is the logical choice here. 787 even less than daily would work. There will undoubtedly be demand especially from that new Samsung plant that is being built. Perhaps an incentive for DL to spoke out that focus city that they never really jumped on. Asia will happen eventually, Austin is primed for it. Just a matter between JAL and KE at this point.

I think it would rely on connections to cities in Japan and China without North American service as well. So we'd have to see China and Japan begin to reopen to visitors to make it work. Given the zero Covid policies of China, a lot will need to change over next 12 months for late 2023 announcement.

LAXdude1023

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:26 pm

malev2012 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

I think it would rely on connections to cities in Japan and China without North American service as well. So we'd have to see China and Japan begin to reopen to visitors to make it work. Given the zero Covid policies of China, a lot will need to change over next 12 months for late 2023 announcement.

Yeah I think so too.

An AUS-ICN/TYO flight could work 3x a week but China and Japan need to be fully reopened to make it remotely viable. The only part of Asia that is open are countries in the Southeast and that isnt a big market to AUS.

Wacko55

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:07 pm

WN732 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

Agree that Seoul will be the route with the airline TBD. On top of their current op's and expansion, Samsung also has plans to invest another 200b and build up to 11 chip fabs in the Austin area so their footprint with only continue to grow. Throw in other companies and the demand for a direct route to Asia is there. Actually surprised Austin doesn't have a direct cargo route to Asia yet.

LAXdude1023

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:21 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

Agree that Seoul will be the route with the airline TBD. On top of their current op's and expansion, Samsung also has plans to invest another 200b and build up to 11 chip fabs in the Austin area so their footprint with only continue to grow. Throw in other companies and the demand for a direct route to Asia is there. Actually surprised Austin doesn't have a direct cargo route to Asia yet.

If ICN is the route, there is no TBD on airline. It would be KE. DL doesnt have extra 359s to put there and OZ is a nonstarter.

malev2012

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:59 pm

June 2022 passenger numbers are out:

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/june-2 ... -bergstrom

Declined a bit from May: 1,985,801. Guessing the cancelations during June probably played a role.

Between AC, BA, LH, VS, KL and AM pax numbers totaled over 50,000. Guessing June had to be a record month for international arrivals when you add in the AA, WN, UA flights.

Wacko55

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:10 pm

Probably would have broken the record if the control tower had not been shut down almost 2 days for covid!

malev2012

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:22 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Probably would have broken the record if the control tower had not been shut down almost 2 days for covid!

Yea no way it doesn't get broken in July with an extra day plus containing 5 weekends which means more leisure travel.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:40 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:
WN732 wrote:

If ICN is the route, there is no TBD on airline. It would be KE. DL doesnt have extra 359s to put there and OZ is a nonstarter.

Agreed on KE as most logical; would AA have the business juevos to try it thrice-weekly? Especially if new 787s come in.

MLIAA

Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:56 am

Argument could be made for JAL with the large Toyota presence down the road in SAT. KE would also be a good bet.

malev2012

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:05 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

Agreed on KE as most logical; would AA have the business juevos to try it thrice-weekly? Especially if new 787s come in.

Seems doubtful that AA would launch a TPAC flight without much feed in Austin even with JL feed on other end.

WN732

Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:49 am

malev2012 wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Seems doubtful that AA would launch a TPAC flight without much feed in Austin even with JL feed on other end.

They have a much larger feed here than SkyTeam does. So there's that.

sierraxray1493

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 am

I see AA is cutting SJU service. Bad loads / yields?

CarlosSi

Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:01 am

sierraxray1493 wrote:

Seems more like a leisure route so I imagine those loads NEED to be higher to really profit. JetBlue could make a jab for it...

Regarding Asia, definitely Seoul. Tokyo is possible too, China or Hong Kong likely not..

Delta /could/ run one of its a339s if it really wanted to, assuming it had enough equipment. Otherwise a KE 789 3-4x weekly makes sense. I think any fewer frequency and it's no longer so attractive to business travelers IIRC who may need those travel dates open.

On the other hand, leisure routes tend to be much lower frequency (1-2x weekly), because travelers are more flexible, usually.

CPS001

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:24 pm

Any idea why KL has apparently changed the operating flight number on AMS-AUS-AMS to KL115/116 on several occasions? (Their website still maintains KL667/668). Also, does anyone know why KL667 KL115 stopped at ORD on the way on Aug 4th?

I'm booked on this flight on Aug 15th.
Last edited by CPS001 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

william

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:35 pm

Do to a fire alarm going off, the terminal was evacuated this morning. Nice way to start off the day.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... rm-go-off/

Western727

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:02 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
sierraxray1493 wrote:

Seems more like a leisure route so I imagine those loads NEED to be higher to really profit. JetBlue could make a jab for it...

Regarding Asia, definitely Seoul. Tokyo is possible too, China or Hong Kong likely not..

Delta /could/ run one of its a339s if it really wanted to, assuming it had enough equipment. Otherwise a KE 789 3-4x weekly makes sense. I think any fewer frequency and it's no longer so attractive to business travelers IIRC who may need those travel dates open.

On the other hand, leisure routes tend to be much lower frequency (1-2x weekly), because travelers are more flexible, usually.

Why not KE's 332? Seats 218 vs 271 on their 789s. If the 332 doesn't have the legs, then why not the 77E? KE's two configs seat 248 and 261.

Granted, the 789 has no First seats, only Prestige (business, essentially), while the 332 and 772 (both versions) all have First + Prestige, so that may well be a factor if AUS-ICN isn't projected to be premium-heavy.

Western727

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:04 pm

william wrote:
Do to a fire alarm going off, the terminal was evacuated this morning. Nice way to start off the day.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... rm-go-off/

Nice way, indeed...so glad I missed this by a few days.

CarlosSi

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:11 pm

Western727 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
sierraxray1493 wrote:

Why not KE's 332? Seats 218 vs 271 on their 789s. If the 332 doesn't have the legs, then why not the 77E? KE's two configs seat 248 and 261.

Granted, the 789 has no First seats, only Prestige (business, essentially), while the 332 and 772 (both versions) all have First + Prestige, so that may well be a factor if AUS-ICN isn't projected to be premium-heavy.

I’ve actually thought of the same before. They /should/ have the range… the question is winds.

Western727

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:19 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Western727 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

I’ve actually thought of the same before. They /should/ have the range… the question is winds.

Thanks for your reply, which made me jump into gcmap. It turns out that AUS-ICN is 6,975 mi vs the 332's published range of 7,260 mi so that's a dealbreaker on the westbound. To add insult to injury, the GC route overflies the Kamchatka Peninsula...so if things remain sour between the US and RU, the requisite route tweak would rule the 332 out even more.

jplatts

Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:28 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Regarding Asia, definitely Seoul. Tokyo is possible too, China or Hong Kong likely not.

There was a discussion over whether there are some additional non-AA/DL/UA/AS hub markets in the contiguous U.S. that could support nonstop service to TYO on JL or NH in a discussion at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1473697.

JL would also be able to offer connections through NRT to some destinations in Western Japan such as FUK/KOJ/MYJ/OKA/OIT/KIX, whereas connecting to Western Japan through South Korea or China from the U.S. would require backtracking.

khowaga

Austin Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:57 pm

CPS001 wrote:
Any idea why KL has apparently changed the operating flight number on AMS-AUS-AMS to KL115/116 on several occasions? (Their website still maintains KL667/668). Also, does anyone know why KL667 KL115 stopped at ORD on the way on Aug 4th?

FlightAware shows the ORD stop as an unscheduled diversion - if you look at the map you can see the flight change direction over upstate New York: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM ... /EHAM/KORD

Why ORD instead of BOS, EWR or JFK which are all much closer, I couldn’t tell you (suggests non medical - maybe they were low on fuel due to strong headwinds?)

FA also maintains the 667/668 numbering; 115/116 don’t seem to be normally used. Maybe it was a FIDS error?

CPS001

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:33 pm

khowaga wrote:
CPS001 wrote:

FlightAware shows the ORD stop as an unscheduled diversion - if you look at the map you can see the flight change direction over upstate New York: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM ... /EHAM/KORD

Why ORD instead of BOS, EWR or JFK which are all much closer, I couldn’t tell you (suggests non medical - maybe they were low on fuel due to strong headwinds?)

FA also maintains the 667/668 numbering; 115/116 don’t seem to be normally used. Maybe it was a FIDS error?

FR24 has the flight using KL115/116 multiple times over the last couple of weeks (in the last week alone, the Aug 6/8/11 flights all went out as KL116 instead of 668). But I can't find any explanation for this. I did notice that the flight status service on KL's website updated the flight numbers to 115/116 after the fact, strangely enough.

malev2012

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:01 pm

https://twitter.com/AUStinAirport/statu ... 42817?s=20

"Environmental Assessment (EA) Update! The FAA has issued a "Finding of No Significant Impact" for our Airport Expansion & Development Program EA, meaning our airport improvements are cleared for take-off!"

This is exciting step forward in airport expansion!

CALMSP

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:11 am

surprised they went ahead given there may be a chance of an impact to the Chupacabra species with further expansion.

WN732

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:18 am

CALMSP wrote:
surprised they went ahead given there may be a chance of an impact to the Chupacabra species with further expansion.

They don't have to worry about that. The entire Chupacabra species has migrated to City hall.

sea13

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:17 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
sierraxray1493 wrote:

Not sure why a lot of you think ICN is going to happen sooner than later. There are a couple routes that DL executives have openly stated that they want to see happen (whether they are on KE or DL), those being PDX and SLC. Those two will definitely start first before AUS ever gets ICN service, IMO.

WN732

Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:50 pm

sea13 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
sierraxray1493 wrote:

Not sure why a lot of you think ICN is going to happen sooner than later. There are a couple routes that DL executives have openly stated that they want to see happen (whether they are on KE or DL), those being PDX and SLC. Those two will definitely start first before AUS ever gets ICN service, IMO.

I mean that's fine and all, but PDX and SLC don't have Samsung and all of the other affiliated support, building their largest plant in the US. Not saying that PDX and SLC could not support ICN, but don't knock Austin out of the pack. Austin has not even come close to reaching its peak yet.

Would AUS-ICN be daily? Likely not, but that will be sufficient.

SAT6i

Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:01 pm

Does anyone know why BA190 changes from an A350 to 777 at the beginning of September?

Western727

Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:38 pm

SAT6i wrote:
Does anyone know why BA190 changes from an A350 to 777 at the beginning of September?

I'm curious about this as well, for this is news to me. My 190/191 on 18 and 29 Nov remain 35X, says my app. I sure hope that stays the same, because I've not flown on the 350 yet.

SAT6i

Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Western727 wrote:
SAT6i wrote:

I'm curious about this as well, for this is news to me. My 190/191 on 18 and 29 Nov remain 35X, says my app. I sure hope that stays the same, because I've not flown on the 350 yet.

My seats were changed for the Sept. 6 outbound flight. It is my first time flying int'l business class and I was looking forward to the new Club Suite but instead it will be the old Club World.

Western727

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:04 pm

SAT6i wrote:
Western727 wrote:
SAT6i wrote:

My seats were changed for the Sept. 6 outbound flight. It is my first time flying int'l business class and I was looking forward to the new Club Suite but instead it will be the old Club World.

Yuck, sorry about the downgrade. My family of 4 is seated in Y+ so there won't be much of a difference if we're changed to a 777.

Western727

Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:29 pm

Found this of interest; from another thread. AUS is tops in scheduled seat growth. I wonder where we'd be had AA not chosen to make AUS a focus city.

WN732

Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:05 pm

Western727 wrote:
Found this of interest; from another thread. AUS is tops in scheduled seat growth. I wonder where we'd be had AA not chosen to make AUS a focus city.

I honestly don't think anyone else could have grown without withdrawing service from their other hubs. WN didn't have the staff or planes, DL certainly didn't either, at least not on mainline. I don't think United would have either.

However I do think that what these carriers would have done is send larger aircraft. WN would slap in more -800 / MAX, DL would use 757, and upgauge some of the 319 routes to 321. I don't really know about UA because they are very status quo here.

AA really picked a good time to explode in service. At first I was very skeptical, but with the exception of a few routes, they have been successful.

Western727

Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:19 pm

WN732 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

I honestly don't think anyone else could have grown without withdrawing service from their other hubs. WN didn't have the staff or planes, DL certainly didn't either, at least not on mainline. I don't think United would have either.

However I do think that what these carriers would have done is send larger aircraft. WN would slap in more -800 / MAX, DL would use 757, and upgauge some of the 319 routes to 321. I don't really know about UA because they are very status quo here.

AA really picked a good time to explode in service. At first I was very skeptical, but with the exception of a few routes, they have been successful.

I agree on aircraft upgauging. I remember during my road warrior days in the late 2000s when I avoided UA and DL (the latter when flying to the west via SLC) because of their heavy use of regionals out of AUS. But I recall that changing later on when AUS became gate constrained, much to my delight because we've had scant RJs here since, aside from the 175/190.

Good on AA's apparent success; I love competition.

malev2012

Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:56 pm

Western727 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

I agree on aircraft upgauging. I remember during my road warrior days in the late 2000s when I avoided UA and DL (the latter when flying to the west via SLC) because of their heavy use of regionals out of AUS. But I recall that changing later on when AUS became gate constrained, much to my delight because we've had scant RJs here since, aside from the 175/190.

I feel the next few years the average gauge is gonna have to increase further. I highly doubt we see any of the devil's chariots that AA picked up via ZW here in Austin. I could WN moving to a lot of -800 and DL move some of their 717 to 319 and 319 to 321. The demand for flights to and from Austin is pretty incredible. Markets that seemed impossible a year ago like TUL, OKC, JAX and IND are still being served by WN or AA, or in some markets both.

24Whiskey

Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:07 am

malev2012 wrote:
I feel the next few years the average gauge is gonna have to increase further. I highly doubt we see any of the devil's chariots that AA picked up via ZW here in Austin. I could WN moving to a lot of -800 and DL move some of their 717 to 319 and 319 to 321. The demand for flights to and from Austin is pretty incredible. Markets that seemed impossible a year ago like TUL, OKC, JAX and IND are still being served by WN or AA, or in some markets both.

All of DL’s Texas stations have seen considerable mainline growth in the last 5-6 years. For DFW and IAH, it has been more recently with the introduction of the 220. In 2015-16, I believe the only mainline service in AUS was ATL with M88/752 and maybe a 319 to JFK.

With the exception of RDU and CVG service these days, DL has been a large mainline station for many years now. At one point AUS was the third largest outstation for the 320 fleet. The 220 has seen a lot of action since COVID started as well.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 717 here although I think I’ve seen it once or twice in the plans for RDU. There was an attempt to upgauge RDU to a 319 last summer but it’s back to a CR9.

I think any future improvements AUS for DL will be through the 321/223 and increasing frequency using the two fleets that are already present. I don’t think the 75 fleet is ever coming back to AUS.

WN732

Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:49 am

24Whiskey wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

All of DL’s Texas stations have seen considerable mainline growth in the last 5-6 years. For DFW and IAH, it has been more recently with the introduction of the 220. In 2015-16, I believe the only mainline service in AUS was ATL with M88/752 and maybe a 319 to JFK.

With the exception of RDU and CVG service these days, DL has been a large mainline station for many years now. At one point AUS was the third largest outstation for the 320 fleet. The 220 has seen a lot of action since COVID started as well.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 717 here although I think I’ve seen it once or twice in the plans for RDU. There was an attempt to upgauge RDU to a 319 last summer but it’s back to a CR9.

I think any future improvements AUS for DL will be through the 321/223 and increasing frequency using the two fleets that are already present. I don’t think the 75 fleet is ever coming back to AUS.

I do think you are right about the 757. To note, the 717 was replaced by the 220 on DTW-AUS back at the beginning of 2020 right before COVID.

plinth857

Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:11 pm

jplatts wrote:

I would love to see this route get picked up. Pretty sure Frontier tried this route a little while ago, but they never stick with a lot of their fringe routes with their dartboard approach.

Western727

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:22 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
WN732 wrote:

LOL at "devil's chariots" and that's a totally apt label!

Kidding aside, I welcome said upgauging (because it means a near guarantee of zero RJs) and more direct flights as the silver lining to AUS's growing pains. My family of 4 are all part of TSA Pre and to not be part of the program (or better yet, part of CLEAR) and regular AUS fliers is, and will increasingly become, a bad move.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos