Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Polot

Re: BA Considering A350 Configuration Changes

Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:49 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Why they went with such a high count on their A350-1000s is a mystery to me, plus no F cabin!

Because BA needs something for markets that can’t support F but need more than ~275 seats. They really are not any denser than the new LHR 3 class 77Es, just a larger plane.

Scotron12

Re: British Airways News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:58 pm

BA is to resume flights to SYD effective March 27th. Routing LHR-SIN-SYD using B787.

Article doesn't say which model 787, but I would assume their B787-9, which is a departure from the B777ER flown previously.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... to-sydney/

GVIIO

Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:21 am

How does BA choose their LGW based 777s it seems they shuffle them around quite often

UAEflyer

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:09 pm

How is LGW-DOH route doing , is it permanent or seasonal!
I would guess more flights will be operated from LGW during the FIFA World Cup in November/ December

Crosswind

Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:42 pm

GVIIO wrote:
How does BA choose their LGW based 777s it seems they shuffle them around quite often

The LGW based 777-200s are in a completely different configuration to the LHR ones. In normal times they don’t swap, but you may see an LHR aircraft at LGW covering maintenance or tech issues. Very rare if ever, the other way around to see a LGW aircraft operating at LHR.

Since COVID, some LGW routes are operating from LHR, often using LGW configured aircraft. So that’s most likely why you see movement between the two airports. That probably won’t be long term.

The LHR aircraft are being configured to Club Suites and either an 8 seat First cabin or a 3 class layout. That’s meant to be complete in October now.

The LGW were configured with the same new economy and premium seats and IFE systems as the fully refurbed LHR aircraft, but retained their old Club World seats and/or a 14 seat First cabin - albeit overhauled again.

BA174

Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:37 pm

Crosswind wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

The LGW based 777-200s are in a completely different configuration to the LHR ones. In normal times they don’t swap, but you may see an LHR aircraft at LGW covering maintenance or tech issues. Very rare if ever, the other way around to see a LGW aircraft operating at LHR.

Since COVID, some LGW routes are operating from LHR, often using LGW configured aircraft. So that’s most likely why you see movement between the two airports. That probably won’t be long term.

The LHR aircraft are being configured to Club Suites and either an 8 seat First cabin or a 3 class layout. That’s meant to be complete in October now.

The LGW were configured with the same new economy and premium seats and IFE systems as the fully refurbed LHR aircraft, but retained their old Club World seats and/or a 14 seat First cabin - albeit overhauled again.

In the pre pandemic and cabin refurbs world it was extremely rare to see the GE powered three class aircraft (VIIO/P/R/T now IIX/U also added) operate in service from LHR. The four class and RR powered three class aircraft did occasionally swap around between bases before the products split in the refurbishments. It remains to be seen what they decide to do with the Gatwick four class configuration as only G-VIIY is currently in service and it doesn’t look likely that LGW will get F class back.

GVIIO

Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:26 am

What’s the status of G-VIIW, VIIV

hma350

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:06 am

Is BA planning SEZ direct this year?

BaronHamstead

Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:52 pm

G-VIIV / G-VIIW are currently in Abu Dhabi undergoing maintenance. I believe they will return to Gatwick for Summer 2022.
777 swaps between Heathrow and Gatwick were fairly regular up to 2019. However. with no First Class planned at Gatwick there may be fewer. Remember not all 777s based at Heathrow are 4 class.

The current Gatwick Long haul Schedule for Summer 2022 will require some 12 based 777 at Gatwick although route changes/additions may occur. There will be at least 10 daily long haul departures. Mauritius thrice weekly is a two day trip plus the need to cover maintenance during the week means 12 777s are needed. Summer 2019 saw 15/16 Gatwick based 777s.

BA Gatwick Long haul has lost the daily Summer departures to Bermuda and to Bridgetown (Now winter seasonal at Gatwick, year round at Heathrow). Also missing are Las Vegas, Toronto and Lima which were served up to 3 times weekly in Summer 2019.
BA Gatwick long haul has however gained daily to Doha and daily to Islamabad. Daily to New York also returns in May. Orlando is twice daily from Gatwick in Summer 2022 as well as daily from Heathrow.

Personally, I can see Orlando returning completely to Gatwick if slots at Heathrow become more in demand for other BA services at Heathrow in Summer 2023. In the medium to long term I can also see the winter/summer seasonal flights to Cape Town, Toronto and Lima returning.

Likewise I expect more aircraft and routes for BA Euroflyer from Gatwick in 2023 for a similar reason.

BangersAndMash

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:05 pm

Don't think I've seen this reported anywhere but BA and Loganair have expanded their partnership.

More codeshares, with ability to earn tier points on these flights, and link up with other codeshare partners out of MAN (inc. EI of course) into single itineraries if booked on BA (e.g. IOM-MAN-MCO or ABZ-MAN-JFK). Putting VS under more pressure in MAN.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/02/02/british-airways-expands-codeshare-with-loganair/

bennett123

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:34 pm

I see that the 18 A321CEO are still at MAD.

Any news about their future.

I know there was talk about a new IAG subsidiary at LGW, but this seems to have gone quiet.

Could we see those with most hours, (G-MEDF, G-MEDG and G-MEDJ) being converted to cargo.

77west

Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:27 am

Looking at the seat map, is that tiny little rear galley supposed to service the entire Economy and Premium Economy cabin? 275 passengers? What were the cabin designers smoking! Even just servicing the Economy section would be tricky. Something more akin to Virgins would work better. Interim option would be to install some more galley space around rows 40-43

evanb

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:36 am

Scotron12 wrote:
Definitely!! As to "flagship long-haul plane", I think the longest sector is the LHR-GIG run...most are DXB, BLR and YVR.

Even their B779s will only have a total seat count of 325. It did seem odd that their A350s got such a dense layout. Maybe because Alex Cruz was the head honcho at the time?

The assumption is that BA acquired the A350-1000 for their range. While other airlines like CX and QR have certainly exploited the A350-1000 a little more for range (for example, CX flying it to the US), BA's configuration, relative to the rest of the fleet, is suggestive that they're more interested in the A350-1000s size. They fly it on routes where their usual low density configurations that are designed to generate yield are not effective in doing so and rather use it to improve margins through lowering unit costs that wouldn't be effectively done on a smaller aircraft.

onwFan

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:46 am

BA to launch 3rd daily EWR-LHR service, by adding a daytime flight from EWR, starting June 6, 2022:

https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/ ... w?ref=Home

Business Travel has outlined flight details:

The new ‘daylight’ service departs Newark at 0755 and arrives into London Heathrow at 1955.
The new flight will start from June 6, 2022 and will be served daily by a B777-200 with the new Club Suite cabin.
The return flight will depart Heathrow at 1910, arriving in Newark at 2200, also allowing travellers to spend the entire day in London before flying to Newark.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... -heathrow/

Notably, VS pulled out of EWR-LHR at the beginning of the pandemic; whereas this summer, both UA and BA plan to add a frequency.

jrfspa320

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:28 am

UAEflyer wrote:
How is LGW-DOH route doing , is it permanent or seasonal!
I would guess more flights will be operated from LGW during the FIFA World Cup in November/ December

Isnt this flight basically operating on behalf on QR? Id imagine the majority will be connecting pax on QR?

eurotrader85

Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:06 am

onwFan wrote:
BA to launch 3rd daily EWR-LHR service, by adding a daytime flight from EWR, starting June 6, 2022:

The new ‘daylight’ service departs Newark at 0755 and arrives into London Heathrow at 1955.
The new flight will start from June 6, 2022 and will be served daily by a B777-200 with the new Club Suite cabin.
The return flight will depart Heathrow at 1910, arriving in Newark at 2200, also allowing travellers to spend the entire day in London before flying to Newark.

Notably, VS pulled out of EWR-LHR at the beginning of the pandemic; whereas this summer, both UA and BA plan to add a frequency.

I was reading this yesterday and it goes on to say total LON-NYC in partnership with AA would be 15 flights a day. I was trying to rack my brain how many it was at the peak pre-pandemic. Pretty sure LHR-EWR never exceeded 3 a day (all on BA metal) but can anyone remember what number did LHR-JFK reach at its peak on BA and AA metal? It sticks in my mind 9BA + 2AA but that could be out. If correct then 15 flights a day would be back to pre-pandemic frequency when including the BA LGW-JFK flight.

jumpjets

Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:00 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
onwFan wrote:

I was reading this yesterday and it goes on to say total LON-NYC in partnership with AA would be 15 flights a day. I was trying to rack my brain how many it was at the peak pre-pandemic. Pretty sure LHR-EWR never exceeded 3 a day (all on BA metal) but can anyone remember what number did LHR-JFK reach at its peak on BA and AA metal? It sticks in my mind 9BA + 2AA but that could be out. If correct then 15 flights a day would be back to pre-pandemic frequency when including the BA LGW-JFK flight.

If I recall correctly, and I will probably be corrected, I think at its peak pre-pandemic BA had the following London to New York daily options:
LHR-JFK 8 daily
LCY - JFK 2 most days (which did then drop to one per day)
LHR- EWR 3 daily.
I am not sure when the LGW- JFK came and went from the schedule.

So that gives 14 flights on most days before you add in the AA flights but I don’t know how many they had. Three or four is what springs to mind. So 15 flights a day seems to be still a little below the pre pandemic peak, though as two of the pre-pandemic peak flights were on the 32 seat A318s, which are no more, the reduced number of post pandemic flights might still give a similar number of seats.

eurotrader85

Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:19 pm

jumpjets wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:
onwFan wrote:

If I recall correctly, and I will probably be corrected, I think at its peak pre-pandemic BA had the following London to New York daily options:
LHR-JFK 8 daily
LHR- EWR 3 daily.

So that gives 14 flights on most days before you add in the AA flights but I don’t know how many they had. Three or four is what springs to mind. So 15 flights a day seems to be still a little below the pre pandemic peak, though as two of the pre-pandemic peak flights were on the 32 seat A318s, which are no more, the reduced number of post pandemic flights might still give a similar number of seats.

LGW-JFK daily was brought back during 2016 and left with the pandemic, coming back in May.

onwFan

Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:15 pm

jumpjets wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:
onwFan wrote:

LHR-JFK 8 daily
LHR- EWR 3 daily.

I vaguely seem to remember that post-covid JFK-LON was 11x daily on BA: 7x JFK-LHR, 1x JFK-LGW, 1x JFK-LCY and 2x EWR-LHR. But could be wrong.

xijiayu

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:17 am

Quick a lot of BA flight cancellation early this morning from LHR. Anyone know what's the reason? My friend 07:30 flight from LHR to GLA has been cancelled and put to tomorrow morning flight to GLA. He was told the cancellation was due to "technical issue", but does it mean he is entitled for compensation then?

chonetsao

Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:29 pm

jumpjets wrote:

Pre-pandemic AA normally have 4 daily (on holiday season and winter there are few days with 2 and few days with 3) in recent years. One day time flight from JFK and 3 over night services. 2 B772 and 2 B77W were normal.

bennett123

Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:15 pm

xijiayu wrote:
Quick a lot of BA flight cancellation early this morning from LHR. Anyone know what's the reason? My friend 07:30 flight from LHR to GLA has been cancelled and put to tomorrow morning flight to GLA. He was told the cancellation was due to "technical issue", but does it mean he is entitled for compensation then?

Given that you could travel to GLA and back by tomorrow, is he entitled to a refund?.

seansasLCY

Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:34 pm

bennett123 wrote:
xijiayu wrote:

Given that you could travel to GLA and back by tomorrow, is he entitled to a refund?.

If an airline cancels you are entitled to a refund (in UK/EU at least). You should also be entitled to compensation for this. BA will push back and blame the weather but just keep on. Check Flyertalk where there is plenty on it.

BA at LHR seem to have had a meltdown over the last 24hrs. Baggage is everywhere at T5 with people waiting hours or told to go home and BA will send the luggage on.

Vicenza

Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:30 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
xijiayu wrote:

If an airline cancels you are entitled to a refund (in UK/EU at least). You should also be entitled to compensation for this. BA will push back and blame the weather but just keep on. Check Flyertalk where there is plenty on it.

BA at LHR seem to have had a meltdown over the last 24hrs. Baggage is everywhere at T5 with people waiting hours or told to go home and BA will send the luggage on.

So in your mind the tragic events of Storm Eunice had nothing at all to do with it then?

seansasLCY

Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:05 pm

Vicenza wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

So in your mind the tragic events of Storm Eunice had nothing at all to do with it then?

It is primarily because BA has staff shortages. There are not enough baggage handlers. Of course the storms haven’t helped but BA have had baggage issues and delays for a while now because of ground staff issues.

And given he was told his flight was cancelled for technical reasons it also makes it more likely that compensation is due.

skipness1E

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:47 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Summer 2019 was 15 per day across LHR / LGW / JFK / EWR

- Flt No ETA From Via To Season 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 184 06:15 EWR LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 100 06:20 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 112 06:30 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 174 07:10 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 106 07:40 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 176 07:45 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 116 08:20 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 172 09:05 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 114 09:35 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 188 09:35 EWR LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 2272 10:00 JFK LGW S 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 104 10:50 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 182 11:05 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 178 19:45 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 142 22:10 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

eurotrader85

Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:58 am

skipness1E wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Summer 2019 was 15 per day across LHR / LGW / JFK / EWR

- Flt No ETA From Via To Season 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 184 06:15 EWR LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 100 06:20 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 112 06:30 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 174 07:10 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 106 07:40 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 176 07:45 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 116 08:20 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 172 09:05 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 114 09:35 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 188 09:35 EWR LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 2272 10:00 JFK LGW S 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 104 10:50 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 182 11:05 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
BA 178 19:45 JFK LHR T5 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AA 142 22:10 JFK LHR T3 2019S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Excellent, thanks

BealineV953

Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:13 am

seansasLCY wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

It is primarily because BA has staff shortages. There are not enough baggage handlers. BA have had baggage issues and delays for a while now because of ground staff issues.

And given he was told his flight was cancelled for technical reasons it also makes it more likely that compensation is due.

I believe that at Heathrow the winds reached 60-80mph (happy to be corrected if I have that wrong). At those high wind speeds, it can be difficult to keep your footing, especially when moving heavy items around. Therefore, it may be dangerous to be working on the ramp.
Where a flight is cancelled at short notice, any baggage that has been accepted for it has to be returned to the baggage hall. That is, this baggage is 'double handled'.
In high winds empty baggage containers have been known to lifted into the air and blown long distances. This can be dangerous to people on the ramp, and there is a risk of containers being blown into aircraft, buildings and equipment causing damage.
For these and other reasons, at times of high wind, baggage handling may be suspended until the wind drops.
Are you sure that the risk to ramp workers, cancellations at short notice leading to double handling baggage and any issues around the risk of baggage containers being blown around were not the primary issues?
If the primary issue was the number of baggage handlers, how may should BA have at T5, and what is the size of shortfall?
Last edited by BealineV953 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

seansasLCY

Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:25 am

BealineV953 wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

It is primarily because BA has staff shortages. There are not enough baggage handlers. BA have had baggage issues and delays for a while now because of ground staff issues.

In high winds empty baggage containers have been known to lifted into the air and blown long distances. With that in mind, in high winds attempting to handle baggage can be very dangerous to people on the ramp. There is also a risk of containers being blown into aircraft, buildings and equipment causing damage.
Therefore, at times of high wind baggage handling can be suspended until the wind drops.
Do you know that this was not the primary issue?
Also, how many baggage handlers should BA have at T5, and what is the size of shortfall?

BA staff on Flyertalk mentioned that lots of cancelled flights were listed as staff shortage and eligible for EU261 compensation. I'm not sure of the shortfall numbers but the baggage issue started before the storms over the past few weeks the delays have been increasing.

skipness1E

Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:23 pm

There were also instances of ground staff not putting the airbridges on because winds were too high, the Virgin from Lagos being one who had to wait until things calmed down a little. There were also numerous refusals for steps for the same reason, am not an expert, it may only have been some stands affected by wind tunnel like effects but it all adds up.

BealineV953

Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:12 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
BealineV953 wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

I believe that at Heathrow the winds reached 60-80mph (happy to be corrected if I have that wrong). At those high wind speeds, it can be difficult to keep your footing, especially when moving heavy items around. Therefore, it may be dangerous to be working on the ramp.
Where a flight is cancelled at short notice, any baggage that has been accepted for it has to be returned to the baggage hall. That is, this baggage is 'double handled'.
In high winds empty baggage containers have been known to lifted into the air and blown long distances. This can be dangerous to people on the ramp, and there is a risk of containers being blown into aircraft, buildings and equipment causing damage.
For these and other reasons, at times of high wind, baggage handling may be suspended until the wind drops.
Are you sure that the risk to ramp workers, cancellations at short notice leading to double handling baggage and any issues around the risk of baggage containers being blown around were not the primary issues?
If the primary issue was the number of baggage handlers, how may should BA have at T5, and what is the size of shortfall?

BA staff on Flyertalk mentioned that lots of cancelled flights were listed as staff shortage and eligible for EU261 compensation. I'm not sure of the shortfall numbers but the baggage issue started before the storms over the past few weeks the delays have been increasing.

There is a big difference between not having enough staff to handle disruption caused by very unusual bad weather and a general shortage of staff.
Very high wind causes all sorts of problems, including those mention by Skipness1E above.
I suspect that the reasons for the cancellations are way more nuanced than 'staff shortage'.
It may be that there are fewer baggage handlers than are needed. Perhaps there is a lag between the increasing number of BA flights and getting the baggage team back to full strength.
However, I very much doubt that the cancellations and delays during storm 'Eunice' were primarily because of a shortage of baggage handlers.

seansasLCY

Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:04 pm

BealineV953 wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
BealineV953 wrote:

There is a big difference between not having enough staff to handle disruption caused by very unusual bad weather and a general shortage of staff.
Very high wind causes all sorts of problems, including those mention by Skipness1E above.
I suspect that the reasons for the cancellations are way more nuanced than 'staff shortage'.
It may be that there are fewer baggage handlers than are needed. Perhaps there is a lag between the increasing number of BA flights and getting the baggage team back to full strength.
However, I very much doubt that the cancellations and delays during storm 'Eunice' were primarily because of a shortage of baggage handlers.

This post on Flyertalk sums it up:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... st34011854

“So no one disputes the weather wasn't great yesterday, and under circumstances when the weather is poor of course flow rates decrease and potentially airlines are asked to reduce their schedules to accommodate that. You would expect delays and cancellations to affect all airlines relatively equally (within some sensible reason).

As an interesting exercise I looked through FR24 for arrivals and departures at LHR on Sunday from the first flight to the last just to see how this affected all airlines. I applied my admittedly rusty excel skills and I think I have come up with some results:

Departure Cancellations
BA - 66
All other airlines - 0

Arrivals Cancellations
BA - 60
All other airlines - 0

Average delays for flights that did operate (departures)
BA - 104 minutes
All other airlines - 38 minutes”

Of course BA has more flights but for not a single other carrier to need to cancel a flight while BA cancels 66 there surely must be more than weather at play.

TC957

Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:02 pm

On Sunday, the majority of the BA cancellations were either domestic or to other North European airports due to weather.

chonetsao

Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:18 pm

TC957 wrote:
On Sunday, the majority of the BA cancellations were either domestic or to other North European airports due to weather.

Please don't shoot me. I am going to make an uneducated and wildly impossible comment. Is there any possibilities that the cancellations and delays was due to A320/321NEO balance issue (because the airline jammed so many seats into the aircraft)? Again, I am just asking an innocent question and hopefully someone has the patient to explain to me. I don't know very much on this issue. I only heard about the A320/321NEO balance/weight issues discussed from BA forums before. I am sure the reason are weather/short of staff etc. I am just curious if the known balance/weight issue with the A320/321 NEO aircrafts played any role in this at all. Thanks.

alancostello

Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:16 am

chonetsao wrote:
TC957 wrote:

Please don't shoot me. I am going to make an uneducated and wildly impossible comment. Is there any possibilities that the cancellations and delays was due to A320/321NEO balance issue (because the airline jammed so many seats into the aircraft)? Again, I am just asking an innocent question and hopefully someone has the patient to explain to me. I don't know very much on this issue. I only heard about the A320/321NEO balance/weight issues discussed from BA forums before. I am sure the reason are weather/short of staff etc. I am just curious if the known balance/weight issue with the A320/321 NEO aircrafts played any role in this at all. Thanks.

No.

Tristarsteve

Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:03 pm

Of course BA has more flights but for not a single other carrier to need to cancel a flight while BA cancels 66 there surely must be more than weather at play.

A BA shorthaul aircraft will usually land at LHR 3 times a day. They don't go anywhere else so they have to wait for slots there.

A KLM shorthaul aircraft will land at LHR once, then go off somewhere else.

So as the day goes on, the delays to the BA aircraft increase, until cancellations are a must. If the 0900 GLA LHR is delayed two hours awaiting a landing slot at LHR, then it will carry pax from the 1100 as well, and so the 1100 is cancelled.

JerseyFlyer

Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:14 pm

As a general observation my understanding is that, when there is congestion at LHR, BA schedules cancellations using a cascade system. Domestics with alternative options like railways get cancelled first.

FlyCaledonian

Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:38 pm

With the weather don't rule out that a lot of BA staff maybe couldn't even get to work! Quite a few actually use public transport to get to/from LHR, travelling via London. Used to see lots of BA (and a few VS) staff in uniform travelling to/from work on South West Trains or East Midlands Trains. So if you start losing cabin crew or pilots due to not being able to get to work, or being delayed, then flights start getting cancelled. I remember flying back from Singapore in 2019 in Club, nd chatting with two of the crew. Once they landed one was travelling home to the New Forest; the other to Nottingham!

For other airlines their crews are flying into LHR and straight back out, or have been on a stopover in a hotel near the airport.

BangersAndMash

Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:48 pm

It seems QR will be moving to Avios as its frequent flyer currency. Apparently with the ability to move points to/from other Avios-based programs, like you can between BA and Iberia. Should be interesting! Can't wait to see what that looks like.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/qatar-airways-avios/

seansasLCY

Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:49 pm

Well the BA issues continued today. The website and app went down this morning followed by a system wide issue this morning meaning load sheets had to be completed manually causing further delays.

Drivers at Do & Co have also voted to strike on 4 and 5th March which could have an impact on flights. https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2022 ... -walk-out/

Somerandom787

Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:51 pm

Do all the 4 class 777-200s have Club Suite (excluding the 3 based in Gatwick)

Nightmareliner

Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:12 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
BA's B772 and B77W have the same rear galley config as the A35K so they should know if that config works or not. Is the problem that the A35K is more narrow at the back and the physical space between the galley units are too narrow compared to the B777?

Also interesting that the B788/789/78X are quite low-density (214/216/256 seats) while they packed in 331 seats in the A35K and they all fly the same routes.

Although the galley layout maybe similar to the 77E/W, they aren’t the same.

The 777 works in that layout because there are two levels of canisters. Whereas the 35K only has a single level of them above the ovens, as demonstrated in the below images.

A350 ICE Galley (Increased Cabin Efficiency)
shorturl.at/grvLU

BA 777-300 Galley (Double stacked canisters slightly cut off in this picture).
shorturl.at/vKS24

The 77E/W also has a larger monument aft of the last row of seats which holds more canisters and carts than the 35K monument aft of the seats.

If my memory serves me correctly, (on that aft monument), the 77W holds 12 half carts, 77E 10 half carts, but the 35K only holds 6 half carts.

Although the 35K is narrower than the 777, it doesn’t make a difference in the aft galley given how Airbus & Safran have optimised the space.

77west wrote:
Looking at the seat map, is that tiny little rear galley supposed to service the entire Economy and Premium Economy cabin? 275 passengers? What were the cabin designers smoking! Even just servicing the Economy section would be tricky. Something more akin to Virgins would work better. Interim option would be to install some more galley space around rows 40-43

Correct - the aft galley caters for both Y & Y+, with a number of items also being held in the mid galley due to a lack of space.

chonetsao

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:55 pm

Nightmareliner wrote:

Thank you again for your information, very helpful.

seansasLCY

Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:44 am

And the mess continues… all short haul flights cancelled this morning due to IT problems.

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.theguar ... til-midday

by738

Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:56 am

Somerandom787 wrote:
Do all the 4 class 777-200s have Club Suite (excluding the 3 based in Gatwick)

Yes

JannEejit

Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:11 am

seansasLCY wrote:
And the mess continues… all short haul flights cancelled this morning due to IT problems.

I'm surprised nobody is blaming the Russians for the system failure yet ! :shock:

Galwayman

Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:56 am

seansasLCY wrote:

If you have to be somewhere and need reliablilty you need to fly Ryanair , as sadly , many BA customers are finding out yet again

joemac547

BA troubles / meltdown today?

Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:09 pm

I went to book a ticket today on BA.com and the first thing that appears is notification that a significant number of their European flights have been cancelled. FlightAware is currently showing very few short haul flights in the air. Does anybody know what is going on? Were their systems hacked?

RJA320

Re: BA troubles / meltdown today?

Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:26 pm

IT issues (again). Feels like a regular occurrence now.

eurotrader85

Re: BA troubles / meltdown today?

Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:30 pm

They confirmed it's not a cyber-attack to put that one to bed in the present awful climate.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-02-25/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos