Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LotsaRunway

Re: Southwest Airlines News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Tue May 10, 2022 2:31 am

Jshank83 wrote:
RAM787 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
I purposely booked a RDU bDL flight over other airlines because it was a single flight number stop in BWI. And yet still had to change planes, long B to C connection (same crew). Yet another example of the decline in WN, highly misleading.

Unfortunately things like that happen, they're rare but they do. Network planning probably decided that plane was better off staying in BWI maybe due to scheduled maintenance.

I would guess it didn't stay in BWI. Although, like you say, there is a chance it did.

I was on a flight a month or so ago. The inbound to my location had the same number as my outbound. Inbound was delayed probably 45 minutes and they did a plane swap. Both planes kept going they were just swapped for some reason. Maybe they wanted my flight to be more on time than the one it got swapped with? We all could load and just wait for the passengers from the original plane to come over. Felt bad for them thinking they would get their choice of seats then got the last seats available. I guess we ended up with a different crew than the previous leg.

But also like RAM says, I think that isn't something that happens often.

While I agree that it’s not real common, I think it does happen more than in the simplest examples. I wish someone with dispatch experience would chime in, but I believe they consider far more than plane repair and simple aircraft delays. I’ve been told that crew time, how close they are to timing out, minimizing down stream disruption, and even sometimes flight loads come into play. They will take an on-time flight and delay it in order to keep another flight(s) viable crew if all it means is delaying another. I might not have the details quite right, but deciding what outbound flight gets delayed, especially passing at a busy station, is more complex than which one is coming in late. Swaps for mx for one flight can domino onto other flights with a goal of completing as much of the schedule as possible.

INFINITI329

Tue May 10, 2022 2:38 am

RAM787 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
I purposely booked a RDU bDL flight over other airlines because it was a single flight number stop in BWI. And yet still had to change planes, long B to C connection (same crew). Yet another example of the decline in WN, highly misleading.

Unfortunately things like that happen, they're rare but they do. Network planning probably decided that plane was better off staying in BWI maybe due to scheduled maintenance.

definitely not rare at WN everyday occurrence

jplatts

Tue May 10, 2022 11:57 am

lat41 wrote:
BOS fares took a nosedive and though planes might have been full on some routes, I don't think yield was too great, nor would it be if some of these BOS routes came back. Did some of the Manchester and Providence passengers get drawn to BOS back then? Well, yes but not necessarily to Southwest. Like LotsaRunway opines, the bloom may be off the flower for WN at PHL and BOS.

BOS can probably support the return of WN DAL-BOS nonstop service with BOS being one of the top destinations traveled to DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic that is no longer served nonstop from DAL (even though AA/DL/B6 still serve BOS nonstop from DFW).

The PDEW of DFW-BOS was 796 passengers/day in Q4 2021 (91.18% of Q4 2019 levels), compared to a PDEW of 873 on DFW-BOS in Q4 2019.

The PDEW of DAL-BOS was only 29 passengers/day in Q4 2021 (20.86% of Q4 2019 levels), compared to a PDEW of 139 on DAL-BOS in Q4 2019.

WN would probably be able to significantly stimulate demand for DAL-BOS nonstop service if it re-adds DAL-BOS nonstop service with the amount of demand that was there to BOS from DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic along with DFW-BOS O&D demand being at more than 90% of Q4 2019 levels in Q4 2021.

There are still a few routes out of Texas longer than DAL-BOS that still have daily nonstop service on WN such as HOU-OAK/SMF/SJC, but WN has a much bigger presence at OAK, SMF, and SJC to support daily nonstop service to HOU from OAK/SMF/SJC.

WN would probably be able to get better yields on DAL-BOS than it did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic if it re-adds DAL-BOS nonstop service with NK no longer serving BOS nonstop from DFW, whereas NK had seasonal nonstop service to BOS from DFW prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

WN also has enough room at DAL to accommodate the return of DAL-BOS nonstop service (and other adds/resumptions out of DAL) with the cuts that WN has made on some other nonstop routes out of DAL.

LotsaRunway

Tue May 10, 2022 2:21 pm

jplatts wrote:
lat41 wrote:
BOS fares took a nosedive and though planes might have been full on some routes, I don't think yield was too great, nor would it be if some of these BOS routes came back. Did some of the Manchester and Providence passengers get drawn to BOS back then? Well, yes but not necessarily to Southwest. Like LotsaRunway opines, the bloom may be off the flower for WN at PHL and BOS.

BOS can probably support the return of WN DAL-BOS nonstop service with BOS being one of the top destinations traveled to DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic that is no longer served nonstop from DAL (even though AA/DL/B6 still serve BOS nonstop from DFW).

The PDEW of DFW-BOS was 796 passengers/day in Q4 2021 (91.18% of Q4 2019 levels), compared to a PDEW of 873 on DFW-BOS in Q4 2019.

The PDEW of DAL-BOS was only 29 passengers/day in Q4 2021 (20.86% of Q4 2019 levels), compared to a PDEW of 139 on DAL-BOS in Q4 2019.

WN would probably be able to significantly stimulate demand for DAL-BOS nonstop service if it re-adds DAL-BOS nonstop service with the amount of demand that was there to BOS from DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic along with DFW-BOS O&D demand being at more than 90% of Q4 2019 levels in Q4 2021.

There are still a few routes out of Texas longer than DAL-BOS that still have daily nonstop service on WN such as HOU-OAK/SMF/SJC, but WN has a much bigger presence at OAK, SMF, and SJC to support daily nonstop service to HOU from OAK/SMF/SJC.

WN would probably be able to get better yields on DAL-BOS than it did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic if it re-adds DAL-BOS nonstop service with NK no longer serving BOS nonstop from DFW, whereas NK had seasonal nonstop service to BOS from DFW prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

WN also has enough room at DAL to accommodate the return of DAL-BOS nonstop service (and other adds/resumptions out of DAL) with the cuts that WN has made on some other nonstop routes out of DAL.

Could they re-add BOS-DAL? Yes
Could they get good loads on it? Yes
Should they? I'll say probably not. WN has thrown capacity at BOS and still need low fares to fill planes. They have no free lunch at BOS, with strong competition on every route they run (I count ORD as competition to MDW). Their attempt to grow a loyal following in Boston has not gone as planned and it is still more often a destination than point of origin out of BOS unless someone is getting a great deal. If you look at the other routes you mention, DAL-OAK/SMF/SJC, they are all strong WN on both ends which is seemingly what they like for longer flights. They want to maximize local O&D and minimize low fare connections.

mo3

Tue May 10, 2022 2:35 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know why the current Southwest schedule for HOU-LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica) drops from daily flights 7 days/wk to just flying on Saturday's after September 5, 2022? Seems like this happens on several international locations we looked at. We were wondering if they were going to fill in the other days in the coming weeks or if they have converted it to a 1 flight/week schedule.

Thanks!

avi8

Tue May 10, 2022 4:05 pm

WN making a comeback at BOS/New England is a matter of time. They won’t pretend to be the dominant carrier, but they will increase their footprint to tailor other large WN stations such as FLL/MCO/TPA/HOU/DAL/PHX and Kansas City. Maybe add a token flight to SJU to try it out.

However, before they do that, they have other priorities on the list, especially adding back the lost capacity in Florida.

Flflyer83

Tue May 10, 2022 4:17 pm

mo3 wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know why the current Southwest schedule for HOU-LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica) drops from daily flights 7 days/wk to just flying on Saturday's after September 5, 2022? Seems like this happens on several international locations we looked at. We were wondering if they were going to fill in the other days in the coming weeks or if they have converted it to a 1 flight/week schedule.

Thanks!

Lower seasonal demand.

Bigant0408

Tue May 10, 2022 5:17 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
jplatts wrote:
.... I had previously mentioned the possibility of WN re-adding PHX-BOS nonstop service as WN had strong load factors on the PHX-BOS route 10 years ago.

Here were the load factors that WN had on BOS-PHX nonstop service in 2011 and 2012:
2011 - 92.79%
2012 - 94.07%

B6 is also the only airline other than AA currently serving BOS nonstop from PHX, whereas WN faces nonstop competition from airlines other than AA or B6 on its BOS-MDW/DEN/BNA/MCO routes.

WN re-adding PHX-PHL nonstop service is a possibility with there currently being no nonstop competition on the PHX-PHL route with AA currently being the only airline serving PHL nonstop from Greater Phoenix. WN also had good load factors on PHL-PHX nonstop service in 2019, with the average load factor of PHL-PHX being 90.75% in 2019.

When fares are low enough it's not difficult to fill seats, however the flight may not be profitable. Yesterday's super-low fares and them competing with the bus are history and generally the best fares you can find will be on competitive routes. This would include the potential PHX-BOS/PHL. IMHO, if WN brings back these routes, it will be for strategic rather than financial reasons, as there are likely more profitable uses for their airplanes. I'm sure their required breakeven load factor would be pretty high and WN seems to have lost it's interest in trying to own PHL and BOS.

I can only speak on the PHL side as that's my hometown. IMO I feel SW has just giving up on PHL to the point the airport took two gates away from them in favor of Spirit so they could expand with their upcoming new routes. So they went from 7 to now 5. I would love for them to start service back to PHX personally as I have family there and American is outright ridiculous with there nonstop fares. Guess only time will tell for both PHL and BOS if they ever want to return.

mo3

Wed May 11, 2022 3:02 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
mo3 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Lower seasonal demand.

Thank you! Do the daily flights typically return around Thanksgiving and continue through New Years (or longer)?

av8tiongeek

Wed May 11, 2022 3:29 pm

737MAX7

Wed May 11, 2022 3:31 pm

Not sure how to post a picture but Southwest posted a picture on Twitter showing new seats with power ports in the seat backs.

ikolkyo

Wed May 11, 2022 3:32 pm

I wonder what the already built MAX 7s inside.

Wneast

Wed May 11, 2022 3:32 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

It’s about time wonder what else might be in the pipeline.

av8tiongeek

Wed May 11, 2022 3:53 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
I wonder what the already built MAX 7s inside.

Several years ago management was asked about the new WiFi that had been rumored. They couldn't say anything as it was coming with the launch of the Max 7. Clearly, that has changed some.

allegiantflyer

Wed May 11, 2022 3:59 pm

I imagine those who defended the decision to never launch in seat power will be the same ones quick to celebrate this. Until this morning most are on record saying BYOP is the best policy.

LotsaRunway

Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 pm

Hopefully seat size and leg room doesn't somehow shrink in the process

av8tiongeek

Wed May 11, 2022 4:10 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:
I imagine those who defended the decision to never launch in seat power will be the same ones quick to celebrate this. Until this morning most are on record saying BYOP is the best policy.

^^^THIS^^^

WN732

Wed May 11, 2022 4:27 pm

I noticed it specifically mentioned USB and USB-C. Most laptops can charge using USB-C these days but I am curious what wattage that port will carry and if it will be enough for a regular laptop. 75W is usually more than enough to keep up with a laptop's drain. At any rate, this is a massive improvement and I am very happy to see this.

Western727

Wed May 11, 2022 4:39 pm

WN732 wrote:
I noticed it specifically mentioned USB and USB-C. Most laptops can charge using USB-C these days but I am curious what wattage that port will carry and if it will be enough for a regular laptop. 75W is usually more than enough to keep up with a laptop's drain. At any rate, this is a massive improvement and I am very happy to see this.

A good point re: wattage and laptop drain. I hope the ports indeed have enough oomph to keep up with a laptop. But if not, at least they'll slow the drain down during usage.

USAirALB

Wed May 11, 2022 4:39 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
Not sure how to post a picture but Southwest posted a picture on Twitter showing new seats with power ports in the seat backs.

panam330

Wed May 11, 2022 4:47 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

About time! I’d personally prefer household-style plugs at knee level, but any power is better than none.

southwest1675

Wed May 11, 2022 4:52 pm

Looks like the power outlets will only be on the MAX. We’ll see if it eventually makes it over to the NGs.

iAvgeek737

Wed May 11, 2022 5:13 pm

I wonder how come they didn't also opt to add in device holders.

avi8

Wed May 11, 2022 5:34 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Looks like the power outlets will only be on the MAX. We’ll see if it eventually makes it over to the NGs.

The article says that they will have them on 250 planes by the end of 2023 and the entire fleet in 5 years.

RAM787

Wed May 11, 2022 5:59 pm

avi8 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

The article says that they will have them on 250 planes by the end of 2023 and the entire fleet in 5 years.

I wonder if that means they'll eventually put the new "heart" seats into all of the 737-700ng's.

Jshank83

Wed May 11, 2022 6:12 pm

avi8 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I didn't read anywhere that said entire fleet in 5 years. Everything I have seen is only MAX.

All I see is the investment will span 5 years. Doesn't say all planes.

av8tiongeek

Wed May 11, 2022 6:18 pm

USAirALB wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status ... 69/photo/1

the comments are fantastic

av8tiongeek

Wed May 11, 2022 6:18 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
avi8 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I didn't read anywhere that said entire fleet in 5 years. Everything I have seen is only MAX.

Exactly...it says,

"Southwest, which has a fleet of more than 700 Boeing 737s, estimates it will have in-seat power, something it currently doesn’t offer, on about 250 planes by the end of 2023. The power outlets will be available starting early next year on Max planes and feature USB A and USB C power ports."

ScottB

Wed May 11, 2022 6:40 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:

I don't think the argument was necessarily that not installing in-seat power was "the best policy." Rather, I think the idea was more that it is certainly great to have, but not so critical when the average flight time is under two hours. And there are costs -- these systems have to be maintained and people who expect in-seat power also get bent out-of-shape when the outlet(s) at their seats aren't functioning.

WN732 wrote:
I am curious what wattage that port will carry and if it will be enough for a regular laptop. 75W is usually more than enough to keep up with a laptop's drain.

From the posted image it looks like the USB-C port supports 60W.

4engines4short

Wed May 11, 2022 7:53 pm

iAvgeek737 wrote:
I wonder how come they didn't also opt to add in device holders.

I do wonder how much this would cost because if they did they would be equal with Oasis AA in terms of seat futures. but it is not a big deal.

n471wn

Wed May 11, 2022 7:57 pm

Does anyone know when SWA will open their November schedule?

jplatts

Wed May 11, 2022 8:02 pm

n471wn wrote:

The upcoming WN schedule extension is currently scheduled for 6/16/2022 according to https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-sc ... -SCHEDULES.

bob75013

Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 pm

n471wn wrote:

You can answer that question yourself here:

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-sc ... TSCHEDULES

WN732

Wed May 11, 2022 8:14 pm

ScottB wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

I don't think the argument was necessarily that not installing in-seat power was "the best policy." Rather, I think the idea was more that it is certainly great to have, but not so critical when the average flight time is under two hours. And there are costs -- these systems have to be maintained and people who expect in-seat power also get bent out-of-shape when the outlet(s) at their seats aren't functioning.

WN732 wrote:
I am curious what wattage that port will carry and if it will be enough for a regular laptop. 75W is usually more than enough to keep up with a laptop's drain.

From the posted image it looks like the USB-C port supports 60W.

That is still pretty decent, most devices can charge on 60W.

WNCrew

Wed May 11, 2022 11:41 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Exactly...it says,

"Southwest, which has a fleet of more than 700 Boeing 737s, estimates it will have in-seat power, something it currently doesn’t offer, on about 250 planes by the end of 2023. The power outlets will be available starting early next year on Max planes and feature USB A and USB C power ports."

It's pretty clear it's ONLY the MAX. 737NG (including -800s) will not (as of now) receive the power outlets or the OHBs and it doesn't appear the -800 will receive larger OHBs either. There's no mention of retrofit. Not sure where their 2billion number comes into play if this is simply a change with new deliveries but it's clear much of this won't touch current fleet.

Wneast

Wed May 11, 2022 11:46 pm

WNCrew wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Exactly...it says,

It's pretty clear it's ONLY the MAX. 737NG (including -800s) will not (as of now) receive the power outlets or the OHBs and it doesn't appear the -800 will receive larger OHBs either. There's no mention of retrofit. Not sure where their 2billion number comes into play if this is simply a change with new deliveries but it's clear much of this won't touch current fleet.

Maybe 2 billion they have something else up their sleeves ?

Jshank83

Thu May 12, 2022 12:00 am

WNCrew wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Exactly...it says,

It would be nice if after they get all the current MAXs retrofitted that at least power wise, they do it on -800s that are let’s say under 10 years old.

The overhead bin thing while nice, I feel like isn’t THAT big a deal. Some people gate check due to lack of space but I feel like it isn’t all that often.

rising

Thu May 12, 2022 1:28 am

allegiantflyer wrote:

Great news that they are doing this- long overdue, but it is humorous.....love how it's celebrated with confetti cannons and seen as a massive upgrade and shows how Southwest is "all about the customer", while American has literally the exact same seat, PLUS a traditional power outlet too in every seat , along with a device holder- virtually fleet wide already, and is blasted as the next White Star Line.

Press coverage of all this is completely ridiculous.

N383SW

Thu May 12, 2022 2:47 am

rising wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

Great news that they are doing this- long overdue, but it is humorous.....love how it's celebrated with confetti cannons and seen as a massive upgrade and shows how Southwest is "all about the customer", while American has literally the exact same seat, PLUS a traditional power outlet too in every seat , along with a device holder- virtually fleet wide already, and is blasted as the next White Star Line.

Because American has done nothing BUT downgrade and take away from their interiors? I mean power outlets on Southwest isn’t the be all end all and not doing the entire fleet (that will be around for a period of time) might be silly but at least they’re finally trying to come into this century lol

Vctony

Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 am

N383SW wrote:
rising wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

Because American has done nothing BUT downgrade and take away from their interiors? I mean power outlets on Southwest isn’t the be all end all and not doing the entire fleet (that will be around for a period of time) might be silly but at least they’re finally trying to come into this century lol

WN always leaves their previous generation aircraft behind. The -300s/500s never got Wi-Fi, the -700s never got new seats/bins, and now the -800s won’t get power.

phllax

Thu May 12, 2022 6:03 am

What exactly is the new bigger OHB? It’s not like the Space Bins on the 800 and MAX are small and there isn’t anything online about an approved retrofit kit.

gr8slvrflt

Thu May 12, 2022 12:16 pm

Space Bins will hold up to six rollaboard bags per bin, on their side, versus four (actually 3 1/2) on current aircraft.

Western727

Thu May 12, 2022 1:01 pm

gr8slvrflt wrote:
Space Bins will hold up to six rollaboard bags per bin, on their side, versus four (actually 3 1/2) on current aircraft.

Bags fly for free in the belly on WN, so I wonder why additional room is necessary up above. Are they thinking about charging for checked bags at some point...?

SWADawg

Thu May 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Western727 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

Bags fly for free in the belly on WN, so I wonder why additional room is necessary up above. Are they thinking about charging for checked bags at some point...?

The Aircraft weight and balance is calculated differently for carryon bags vs. checking them down below in the cargo hold. It also helps with fewer last minute bags that get sent down to the ramp so that the flight can get closed out sooner and pushed off the gate. This will help with the 5-10 minute delays that happen all the time because of last minute gate checks and then the time it takes to scan the bags and send the numbers up to the Ops Agent and then back down to the Flight Deck for weight and balance calculations. Win/win for everyone.

ericm2031

Thu May 12, 2022 2:06 pm

phllax wrote:
What exactly is the new bigger OHB? It’s not like the Space Bins on the 800 and MAX are small and there isn’t anything online about an approved retrofit kit.

Southwest doesn’t have the Space Bins on their 800s and MAXs, those are just the normal bins. And yes they can be retrofitted, I believe both AS and AA have been doing so, whether WN does so I guess we’ll have to find out.

WNCrew

Thu May 12, 2022 2:57 pm

Western727 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

This is a common misconception; that free bags means less carryons. It's patently false. I fly AA and UA very often and I have not seen them have to check bags in a long time. I would say on WN, I have to check bags 75% of the time. WN isn't very consistent with monitoring Customer carry-on compliance so they often run out of space. MANY Customers don't check luggage, opting to bring as much as they can onboard.

orlandocfi

Thu May 12, 2022 3:40 pm

WNCrew wrote:
Western727 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

This is a common misconception; that free bags means less carryons. It's patently false. I fly AA and UA very often and I have not seen them have to check bags in a long time. I would say on WN, I have to check bags 75% of the time. WN isn't very consistent with monitoring Customer carry-on compliance so they often run out of space. MANY Customers don't check luggage, opting to bring as much as they can onboard.

Very true. Surprisingly, many WN passengers are also unaware of the free checked bags policy and try to schlep on board with as much as possible. Maybe that messaging needs to be put out there again.

cledaybuck

Thu May 12, 2022 3:44 pm

WNCrew wrote:
Western727 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:
I fly AA and UA very often and I have not seen them have to check bags in a long time.
That is not my experience at all. Last time I flew AA, they were basically telling everyone at the gate that if you are in group 7 or higher there will not be room for your bag trying to get people to check it at the gate for free before boarding.

Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
WNCrew wrote:
Western727 wrote:
That is not my experience at all. Last time I flew AA, they were basically telling everyone at the gate that if you are in group 7 or higher there will not be room for your bag trying to get people to check it at the gate for free before boarding.

My airline choice has shifted since moving to Dallas (I’m Platinum on UA but now do more AA with a WN flight here and there unless flying to a city with nonstop service on UA from DFW) so I’ve got some recent experience on all three. My observation is that AA and UA tend to take care of this in the terminal and proactively check bags for those passengers in the last group. WN doesn’t and I usually see them having to check bags from the airplane cabin on full flights. Like someone mentioned upstream, the free checked bags don’t seem to encourage folks to check luggage as much as one would think.

Western727

Thu May 12, 2022 4:10 pm

Thanks for the insight on the bigger overhead bins, everyone.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos