Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boof02671

Re: American Airlines Fleet Thread - 2022

Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:46 am

Scoreboard wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Here is an article from Simple Flying.

But I call BS as some of you said other 787s parked there aren’t wrapped.

The plane in question is almost a year and half old.
https://simpleflying.com/american-airli ... stic-wrap/

I live about 2 miles from PAE and drive by it regularly. The airplane in question was in the exact location as shown in the Simple Flying photograph when I saw it on Saturday. It was parked next to a KC-46.

It’s possible that other 787s at parked PAE are wrapped with the same black wrap, but I have not personally seen any. I’ve seen plenty of parked 787s that do not have such wrap.

If you are here also and have seen it, or have photographic evidence of any other 787s wrapped in the same manner then please share it.

Otherwise you can’t really call BS on those of us who personally see the parked 787s at PAE regularly while you do not.

I think Boof 02671 is calling BS on the article by Simplyflying, not on the observations of the locals. Certainly when I was at PAE in February all the 787s present were unwrapped.

Yes you got it, thanks.

I tweeted AA and they ignored it.

Polot

Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:03 am

ben7x wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Possible that they removed ALL layers of paint etc. for rework. And that’s why they need the plastic, to prevent the composite fuselage from UV rays. All other stored planes are stored either painted or with this green stuff (on aluminium fuselages).

If the plane needed rework Boring would keep it in the base white paint all 787 barrels are painted in. If there was an issue discovered after painting that required stripping paint they would only do that when ready to fix/repaint again. Boeing wouldn’t strip then store to fix later.

Boof02671

Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:14 am

Polot wrote:
ben7x wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Possible that they removed ALL layers of paint etc. for rework. And that’s why they need the plastic, to prevent the composite fuselage from UV rays. All other stored planes are stored either painted or with this green stuff (on aluminium fuselages).

If the plane needed rework Boring would keep it in the base white paint all 787 barrels are painted in. If there was an issue discovered after painting that required stripping paint they would only do that when ready to fix/repaint again. Boeing wouldn’t strip then store to fix later.

The plane was already painted it’s 1 1/2 years old.

No one said it was stripped or had to be reworked.

airboss787

Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:25 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
I don't have a tangible source but at CLT I've heard that the maintenance personnel maybe getting ready for the 787. It's possible in 2023 that it might be coming to CLT which makes sense with the 788 being the smallest widebody in the AA fleet.

I’ll check with my son’s mom she’s in maintenance

Oh, I hope she makes it out well. Was it a D-check for her?

Rookie87

Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:38 am

airboss787 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
I don't have a tangible source but at CLT I've heard that the maintenance personnel maybe getting ready for the 787. It's possible in 2023 that it might be coming to CLT which makes sense with the 788 being the smallest widebody in the AA fleet.

I’ll check with my son’s mom she’s in maintenance

Oh, I hope she makes it out well. Was it a D-check for her?

Screaming lol

JohanTally

Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:20 pm

Just saw the AA 738 N947NN with a fresh paint job and they added the AA logo to the inside and outside of the winglets and it looked pretty good. I'm not sure how many have received it yet but this is the first I've noticed. I'd share a picture but I haven't figured out how to do so.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:46 pm

JohanTally wrote:
Just saw the AA 738 N947NN with a fresh paint job and they added the AA logo to the inside and outside of the winglets and it looked pretty good. I'm not sure how many have received it yet but this is the first I've noticed. I'd share a picture but I haven't figured out how to do so.

I was on a 737-800 from JFK to AUS last week that had the eagle painted on both sides of the winglet. Have seen them at LGA, DFW, and LAX recently. Not sure how many feature them.

I think they are unecessary.

alasizon

Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:32 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I was on a 737-800 from JFK to AUS last week that had the eagle painted on both sides of the winglet. Have seen them at LGA, DFW, and LAX recently. Not sure how many feature them.

Seems most of the 73-8s I've seen recently have them so it appears to be expanding pretty quickly.

JohanTally

Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:49 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I'm not sure if they were having a rash of damages but having some alternating colors does help with depth perception. That AA light grey can blend in with the surroundings quite easily.

alasizon

Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:51 pm

JohanTally wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I'm not sure if they were having a rash of damages but having some alternating colors does help with depth perception. That AA light grey can blend in with the surroundings quite easily.

That was the reasoning behind the red stripe that had been added to the winglets previously but an equal number of non-striped and striped 738s still had their wingtips driven into or pushed into stuff from everything I saw.

UA857

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:26 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
I would guess the biggest change will somewhat of a door on the J seats and possibly some more premium economy. As long as business travel is lagging there's no sense in adding premium seating for leisure travel.

Well I stand corrected and it looks like future AA 789s are going to be premium heavy with a substantial upgrade. 51J seats and 32 Y+ while only seating 235 vs the current 285. Not official from AA but being reported by JonNYC and written up by one mile at a time. Could this replace the premium heavy AA 77W?

https://onemileatatime.com/news/america ... 7-premium/

AA has no choice but to reverse a weird decision it made shortly after it started deliveries of the 787 to reduce the Business Class cabin and expand the P/E cabin. It needs the 787 for more ultra-long haul missions it wants to fly and can't quite do it today. I don't think the 77W is going to be replaced, but its purpose in the fleet has shifted since the pandemic. It was used exclusively on LHR, HKG, NRT/HND, and GRU (with a MIA-EZE frequency as well). Not all LHR and GRU service was flown on the 77W but much of it was. HKG will likely never return and with the changes in international demand, the 77W is probably too much plane as currently configured for a lot of routes. I don't think AA will ditch the 77W but I think it will reconfigure them to remove First and just make the business class cabin a bit larger. My sense is the 77Es will start leaving the fleet before the 77W does, but one thing is interesting about the 77W at both AA and UA in that they are no longer exclusively used at either for the markets they were intended for and that is all attributable to the pandemic. At AA, the 77W will likely carry on as the mainstay of slot constricted airports (LHR, HND) and high capacity seasonal adjustments (India, of the services grow from the East Coast), plus GRU and EZE where demand is strong at particular times of the year.

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but since the 77Ws are approaching 8-10 years of service is it possible for AA order a fleet of 22 779s to replace the remaining 77Es and compliment the 77Ws as the fleet undergoes a midlife overhaul?

chonetsao

Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:55 am

UA857 wrote:
I’m sure this has been discussed before, but since the 77Ws are approaching 8-10 years of service is it possible for AA order a fleet of 22 779s to replace the remaining 77Es and compliment the 77Ws as the fleet undergoes a midlife overhaul?

Personally I really doubt it. There will be a lot of B77W coming off lease following Covid and some airlines won't renew due to demand changes (I think CX already did? And QR picked few?). If AA really wants add capacity, they could pick up some frames really cheaply.

Then if AA don't want to add capacity, but for renew the fleet, I guess you can have a look at B777-200ER fleet and how long they are lasting. I think AA will use the B77W to the end of the life cycle. So personally I don't see B779 for AA for a while yet.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:03 am

UA857 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
Well I stand corrected and it looks like future AA 789s are going to be premium heavy with a substantial upgrade. 51J seats and 32 Y+ while only seating 235 vs the current 285. Not official from AA but being reported by JonNYC and written up by one mile at a time. Could this replace the premium heavy AA 77W?

https://onemileatatime.com/news/america ... 7-premium/

AA has no choice but to reverse a weird decision it made shortly after it started deliveries of the 787 to reduce the Business Class cabin and expand the P/E cabin. It needs the 787 for more ultra-long haul missions it wants to fly and can't quite do it today. I don't think the 77W is going to be replaced, but its purpose in the fleet has shifted since the pandemic. It was used exclusively on LHR, HKG, NRT/HND, and GRU (with a MIA-EZE frequency as well). Not all LHR and GRU service was flown on the 77W but much of it was. HKG will likely never return and with the changes in international demand, the 77W is probably too much plane as currently configured for a lot of routes. I don't think AA will ditch the 77W but I think it will reconfigure them to remove First and just make the business class cabin a bit larger. My sense is the 77Es will start leaving the fleet before the 77W does, but one thing is interesting about the 77W at both AA and UA in that they are no longer exclusively used at either for the markets they were intended for and that is all attributable to the pandemic. At AA, the 77W will likely carry on as the mainstay of slot constricted airports (LHR, HND) and high capacity seasonal adjustments (India, of the services grow from the East Coast), plus GRU and EZE where demand is strong at particular times of the year.

There are no remaining 77E's in the fleet. AA has the full 47 in ordered in the 1990s (some were parked during the pandemic) but I believe all are back to active service. The oldest 77E was delivered in 1999 and the youngest, in 2002. They went through a full overhaul starting about 8 years ago, with First Class cabins ripped out. My sense is that the 77E replacement will be partly dictated by how quickly Boeing can resume 787 deliveries and just how much is baked into Boeing's compensation package for American Airlines for the delivery delays. I see the 787-10 as the more likely 77E replacement, as it is a better capacity match than the 789 and can operate all the 77E missions AA flies today. The -10 is also a good cargo hauler. If Boeing's problems persist, then I see AA turning to Airbus and putting the 359 back into play even though AA cancelled the legacy US order.

I don't see the 77W going anywhere. AA has a legacy of operating its wide bodies for a long time, with few exceptions, like the MD11.

UA857

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:02 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
UA857 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

There are no remaining 77E's in the fleet. AA has the full 47 in ordered in the 1990s (some were parked during the pandemic) but I believe all are back to active service. The oldest 77E was delivered in 1999 and the youngest, in 2002. They went through a full overhaul starting about 8 years ago, with First Class cabins ripped out. My sense is that the 77E replacement will be partly dictated by how quickly Boeing can resume 787 deliveries and just how much is baked into Boeing's compensation package for American Airlines for the delivery delays. I see the 787-10 as the more likely 77E replacement, as it is a better capacity match than the 789 and can operate all the 77E missions AA flies today. The -10 is also a good cargo hauler. If Boeing's problems persist, then I see AA turning to Airbus and putting the 359 back into play even though AA cancelled the legacy US order.

I don't see the 77W going anywhere. AA has a legacy of operating its wide bodies for a long time, with few exceptions, like the MD11.

AA should replace the 77E fleet with 25 789 and 22 779s. The 779 could upguage existing 77W routes while the 77W can be used to replace the 77E.

chonetsao

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:11 pm

UA857 wrote:
AA should replace the 77E fleet with 25 789 and 22 779s. The 779 could upguage existing 77W routes while the 77W can be used to replace the 77E.

Should and will are very different thing.

AA has A321XLR coming which will provide headroom for wb fleet.

So any planes that will replace B77E won't be on one-on-one bases.

AA already have trouble to fill B77E from certain hubs. Those hubs going forward will be A321XLR, B788 going forward. That releases B77E and B789. AA no boudt will use B789 to replace all current B77E route. The rumoured 51J B789 will accelerate the process of B77E being replaced by B789 one day. AA may have a top up order of B789 when B77E start it's retirement process, or order B787-10s. But B789 is not going to happen. There are only a handful or routes AA can profitablely use B77W on. So forget B779, it is not for AA at current state. Maybe smother 5 years when market changes we can see AA reevaluate the prospect of B779. But now, it is not going to happen.

UA857

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:29 pm

chonetsao wrote:
UA857 wrote:

Should and will are very different thing.

AA has A321XLR coming which will provide headroom for wb fleet.

So any planes that will replace B77E won't be on one-on-one bases.

AA already have trouble to fill B77E from certain hubs. Those hubs going forward will be A321XLR, B788 going forward. That releases B77E and B789. AA no boudt will use B789 to replace all current B77E route. The rumoured 51J B789 will accelerate the process of B77E being replaced by B789 one day. AA may have a top up order of B789 when B77E start it's retirement process, or order B787-10s. But B789 is not going to happen. There are only a handful or routes AA can profitablely use B77W on. So forget B779, it is not for AA at current state. Maybe smother 5 years when market changes we can see AA reevaluate the prospect of B779. But now, it is not going to happen.

Could AA and UA order the 779 around 2024 with deliveries starting in 2027?

ContinentalEWR

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:59 pm

UA857 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
UA857 wrote:

Unless Boeing gives them a discount, the 779 will be a pricey acquisition. The 77W made its way into the UA and AA fleets because Boeing was trying to fill the gap between the end of production of the 777-300ER before shifting to the NG 777s. The 787-10 and more 787-9s are a more logical fit for the AA fleet.

chonetsao

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:48 pm

UA857 wrote:

Sorry for my last reply. I was using my phone and some typos.

I can't speak of UA. But for AA, in my opinion, you may have to wait for 2025-2026 for any talks of the next order. I think once AA have received all current B787 orders and A321XLR started to arrive, the market would slowly going back to track (provided no more disturbance in geopolitics and economic shocks), it then might be a natural point of consideration of reorganisation of widebody fleet going forwards to 2030s. But the order may not happen until 2027-2028. I think we are still too early to see if AA would be order new fleet type. However, I understand AA still have B787 options that it can top up as needed.

RMTAviation

Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:00 pm

chonetsao wrote:
UA857 wrote:

I can't speak of UA. But for AA, in my opinion, you may have to wait for 2025-2026 for any talks of the next order. I think once AA have received all current B787 orders and A321XLR started to arrive, the market would slowly going back to track (provided no more disturbance in geopolitics and economic shocks), it then might be a natural point of consideration of reorganisation of widebody fleet going forwards to 2030s. But the order may not happen until 2027-2028. I think we are still too early to see if AA would be order new fleet type. However, I understand AA still have B787 options that it can top up as needed.

I agree. Unlike United, who are just starting a 500-600 Plane retrofit and another 600-700 airplanes on order throughout the next decade, American's fleet, as far as the next decade goes, is pretty much sorted. They have streamlined as much as they can, and other than the rest of the 737 MAX/A321neo's, 737-800 Restoration, and maybe some A319/A320/A321T Oasis Retrofit, I can't see them do anything else until 2030. They poured billions over the last 10 years, from the US Airways Merger, to get to a spot where they are now.

As far as their heavy fleet goes, I think that the majority of the 772E's will be flying until around 2030, and some newer frames maybe a bit longer as well. I doubt American will go to Airbus, and with the delivery issues of the 787, I doubt they will get many soon. In addition, AA is short many widebody's at the moment, and a good amount of the 787's will be used for expansion and replacement of their A330's/767's (retired by the pandemic), rather than replacing the 772E's like originally intended. I think AA will do something about the 772E replacement around 2025-2027 with maybe 50-70 Boeing 779/789ER/78JER (Maybe something like 20 779, 25 789ER and 20 78JER), for delivery in the early 2030's. Although, I do think that the 77W's, as well as the 772E/788's with the Zodiac seats will be retrofitted with the new business cabin with doors in a few years. Especially the 77W's, and remove first class with that as well.

AA's 50 A321XLR's with Lie Flat Business and 2-2 Premium Economy will be a great asset in expanding their Europe and South America network, with thinner routes. I can see MIA-South America, as well as CLT-MIA-JFK to smaller European Cities be flying on the AA A321XLR.

UA857

Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:08 pm

RMTAviation wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
UA857 wrote:

I agree. Unlike United, who are just starting a 500-600 Plane retrofit and another 600-700 airplanes on order throughout the next decade, American's fleet, as far as the next decade goes, is pretty much sorted. They have streamlined as much as they can, and other than the rest of the 737 MAX/A321neo's, 737-800 Restoration, and maybe some A319/A320/A321T Oasis Retrofit, I can't see them do anything else until 2030. They poured billions over the last 10 years, from the US Airways Merger, to get to a spot where they are now.

As far as their heavy fleet goes, I think that the majority of the 772E's will be flying until around 2030, and some newer frames maybe a bit longer as well. I doubt American will go to Airbus, and with the delivery issues of the 787, I doubt they will get many soon. In addition, AA is short many widebody's at the moment, and a good amount of the 787's will be used for expansion and replacement of their A330's/767's (retired by the pandemic), rather than replacing the 772E's like originally intended. I think AA will do something about the 772E replacement around 2025-2027 with maybe 50-70 Boeing 779/789ER/78JER (Maybe something like 20 779, 25 789ER and 20 78JER), for delivery in the early 2030's. Although, I do think that the 77W's, as well as the 772E/788's with the Zodiac seats will be retrofitted with the new business cabin with doors in a few years. Especially the 77W's, and remove first class with that as well.

AA's 50 A321XLR's with Lie Flat Business and 2-2 Premium Economy will be a great asset in expanding their Europe and South America network, with thinner routes. I can see MIA-South America, as well as CLT-MIA-JFK to smaller European Cities be flying on the AA A321XLR.

If the current 787 order is meant to replace the 767/A330 fleet then around 2024 AA could place an order of 25 787-10ERs and 20 777-9s to replace the 777-200ER and compliment the 777-300ER with deliveries beginning 2027.

bval

Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:25 pm

RMTAviation wrote:
Although, I do think that the 77W's, as well as the 772E/788's with the Zodiac seats will be retrofitted with the new business cabin with doors in a few years. Especially the 77W's, and remove first class with that as well.

I hope you're right about the refit but I also expect some small F cabin to remain. AIUI the F cabins are a requirement of a number of corporate contracts especially with the entertainment business.

RMTAviation

Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:31 pm

bval wrote:
RMTAviation wrote:
Although, I do think that the 77W's, as well as the 772E/788's with the Zodiac seats will be retrofitted with the new business cabin with doors in a few years. Especially the 77W's, and remove first class with that as well.

I hope you're right about the refit but I also expect some small F cabin to remain. AIUI the F cabins are a requirement of a number of corporate contracts especially with the entertainment business.

I thought those F contracts were for the A321T from JFK-LAX? I am not sure about how many corporate destinations there are on the current AA 77W routes.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:22 am

RMTAviation wrote:
bval wrote:
RMTAviation wrote:

I thought those F contracts were for the A321T from JFK-LAX? I am not sure about how many corporate destinations there are on the current AA 77W routes.

The 77W's original route network pre-pandemic was focused around LHR, NRT/HND, HKG, GRU, SYD*, and EZE*, with some hub to hub positioning in between.

SYD* launched on the 77W and was changed to the 787-9 not that long after it originally launched.
EZE service on the 77W was generally limited to one of the MIA frequencies.

A lot has changed. The 77W's international long haul network now consists of LHR, DEL, DOH (if it launches), a more limited number flying to GRU, EZE (from MIA). Do these markets require a first class cabin? Probably not, outside of maybe LHR. The 321T First Class cabin was there not so much for general corporate contracts, but for Hollywood, Media, and Entertainment contracts that wanted the extra privacy it offers.

American's Flagship First cabin is dated, nothing truly special food or beverage wise (yes, some enhancements over Flagship Business) but nothing extraordinary. If AA moves ahead with upgrades to Flagship Business as has been announced and speculated (doors, more seats on the 789 etc...) my sense is that First Class will be removed from the 77W as the planes go through overhauls and eventually, when the 321T's get a next gen business class seat (perhaps what will end up on the 321XLR) First Class on those planes will also eventually be removed. It will be a slow process but I think the future of Flagship First is cloudy at best.

bval

Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:17 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
American's Flagship First cabin is dated, nothing truly special food or beverage wise (yes, some enhancements over Flagship Business) but nothing extraordinary. If AA moves ahead with upgrades to Flagship Business as has been announced and speculated (doors, more seats on the 789 etc...) my sense is that First Class will be removed from the 77W as the planes go through overhauls and eventually, when the 321T's get a next gen business class seat (perhaps what will end up on the 321XLR) First Class on those planes will also eventually be removed. It will be a slow process but I think the future of Flagship First is cloudy at best.

I do agree it's dated and not really up to par. Especially given the competition from the ME3 and the Asian airlines. I do think it can be a money maker on transcons and in the London market. It will be interesting when 321XLRs are on property with vastly improved J cabins. I wonder if the 321T will see a refit then and what will become of the F cabin. B6 new Mint suite at the bulkhead shows a potential way to differentiate a few J seats. Maybe the future of F looks more like a specialized mini cabin of slightly tweaked J hard product with a refreshed soft product? Seems to me if you can keep costs down like a way to get a few extra bucks from mini cabins already present due to galley and lav layouts.

IFLYUA767

Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Boeing is planning on resuming 787 deliveries in the second half of this year. Looks like AA is planning on taking 7 788’s after this summer and 6 in 2023. Hopefully this doesn’t change.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/3081 ... ter-summer

Rookie87

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:27 pm

IFLYUA767 wrote:
Boeing is planning on resuming 787 deliveries in the second half of this year. Looks like AA is planning on taking 7 788’s after this summer and 6 in 2023. Hopefully this doesn’t change.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/3081 ... ter-summer

Finally some good news

ckfred

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:27 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

A friend of mine is a 737 captain. One of his biggest complaints about the new livery was the solid paint on the winglets, compared to the old livery that had "AA.com" on the winglets. His problems is that with the split winglet on the MAX, the lower portion could be damaged by ground vehicles, especially at night or in foggy conditions. I'll have to ask him about this, but having something other than solid silver/gray might be a safety improvement.

gdavis003

Wed May 04, 2022 6:16 pm

N233NN lost a winglet in severe turbulence last night en route from CHS to DFW. Landed safely at BHM, and an E175 that was scheduled to fly BHM-DFW in the morning took the diverted passengers to DFW last night, while a replacement aircraft for the morning flight was flown in over night.
https://avherald.com/h?article=4f84e603&opt=0

IFLYUA767

Sat May 07, 2022 1:45 pm

Just saw that AA37 MAD-DFW is diverting to JFK. Don’t know why. Only about two hours into the flight. It’s a 789 and registration is N839AA. I guess this will be the first time an AA 787 is at JFK.

Qantas59

Sat May 14, 2022 1:29 am

Has AA completed retrofit of A321 acft. to Oasis / Kodiak standard?

ContinentalEWR

Sat May 14, 2022 11:24 am

IFLYUA767 wrote:
Just saw that AA37 MAD-DFW is diverting to JFK. Don’t know why. Only about two hours into the flight. It’s a 789 and registration is N839AA. I guess this will be the first time an AA 787 is at JFK.

Not the first time AA has operated the 787 into JFK, no. In 2020 and for part of 2021, they were running cargo only flights out of JFK and were using 787s for some of those. But there has not been any passenger scheduled 787 service at JFK with AA just yet.

UpNAWAy

Sat May 14, 2022 2:24 pm

Qantas59 wrote:

Yes they are all done at least as far as Oasis. Last one finished up this week. I am not sure about the Kodiak status.

Qantas59

Sat May 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Thanks for the info about the A321 refurbishment. Do you know the N # of the last aircraft that was reconfigured?

miaami

Sat May 14, 2022 7:41 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
Thanks for the info about the A321 refurbishment. Do you know the N # of the last aircraft that was reconfigured?

N990AU/990

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9796

jfk777

Sun May 15, 2022 1:24 pm

If AA needs more 77W they could call their friends in Hong Kong at Cathay and lease some, they have similar configurations since the AA 77W has the same Business Class seat. While sure they are some minor differences they are very similar. Imagine ex- Cathay 77W flying for AA with that Cathay First Class.

Detroit313

Sun May 15, 2022 3:42 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Qantas59 wrote:

Yes they are all done at least as far as Oasis. Last one finished up this week. I am not sure about the Kodiak status.

I believe Kodiak must be 100% completed too.

SXDFC

Mon May 16, 2022 2:24 am

What’s the difference between Oasis and Kodiak conversions?

JohanTally

Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 am

SXDFC wrote:
What’s the difference between Oasis and Kodiak conversions?

It's mostly modifications to first class including better seat padding, increased under seat storage and a partial divider between first and coach.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-air ... ct-kodiak/

RMTAviation

Mon May 23, 2022 6:40 pm

Are all 304 American 737-800's Kodiac, or are the few 1999ish builds still with the older interior?

Are there any differences at all in anything from the 737 MAX 8 or the 737-800? Lavs, Paneling, Mood lighting, etc?

Also, do the A321 Oasis have the Airspace XL Bins with all the different color mood lighting as the A321neo?

itripreport

Mon May 23, 2022 7:07 pm

RMTAviation wrote:
Are all 304 American 737-800's Kodiac, or are the few 1999ish builds still with the older interior?

The ones that get reactivated go directly into kodiak retrofit.

RMTAviation wrote:
Are there any differences at all in anything from the 737 MAX 8 or the 737-800? Lavs, Paneling, Mood lighting, etc?

The pre sky interior 738s (N866NN and older) have the older 737-style side panels, and no mood lighting, while the sky interior 738s (N867NN and newer) have mood lighting, and the newer side panels. Both do have the same types of overhead bins, seating configuration, and lavatories.

RMTAviation wrote:
Also, do the A321 Oasis have the Airspace XL Bins with all the different color mood lighting as the A321neo?

They have the XL bins, but just like with the oasis retrofits, AA cheapened out and chose not to install mood lighting on the A321s, and even some of them don't have the light strip under the bins activated.

SXDFC

Tue May 24, 2022 7:23 am

Apologies if it’s mentioned earlier. Is there any plans to refresh or refurbish the A321T fleet? Perhaps switch this service to an A321neo?

UpNAWAy

Tue May 24, 2022 12:58 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Apologies if it’s mentioned earlier. Is there any plans to refresh or refurbish the A321T fleet? Perhaps switch this service to an A321neo?

Nothing formally announced although the assumption is yes eventually they will get Oasis and be replaced with a new premium heavy NB (presumably the 321XLR but those deliveries are now delayed). They also could have some brand new NEOs delivered as premium heavy. If the B787 deliveries were not an issue, I could have envisioned more of them flying those routes in winter allowing the retrofits to start to occur. Right now the issue is to few and uncertain new aircraft deliveries.

UA444

Tue May 24, 2022 6:14 pm

Will the Retro Jets be up for paint soon? They were painted around 2014-2015

JoseSalazar

Tue May 24, 2022 11:33 pm

SXDFC wrote:

Someone who is a low level manager at AA told me it is his belief that the A321Ts go away (ie become Oasis-ified) and they will replace it with something like the 148 seat Delta One configured NEOs.

PHLspecial

Wed May 25, 2022 1:34 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

Someone who is a low level manager at AA told me it is his belief that the A321Ts go away (ie become Oasis-ified) and they will replace it with something like the 148 seat Delta One configured NEOs.

How come it's a bunch of low capacity planes? Why not a widebody like the 772 or maybe the 789 one day. DL and UA flies wb from the NYC area to lax/sfo

USAirKid

Wed May 25, 2022 1:59 am

PHLspecial wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

How come it's a bunch of low capacity planes? Why not a widebody like the 772 or maybe the 789 one day. DL and UA flies wb from the NYC area to lax/sfo

Frequency. It’s the same number of passengers, but your high value fliers want more possible times to fly.

amtravels

Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:21 pm

Just flew N830NN and was surprised by a few things. It’s a 2010 delivery with BSI but it didn’t have the touchscreen in the galley for lighting control like most BSI-equipped 737s do.
1. Was it delivered this way with no touchscreen or was this retrofitted out when they Oasis’d these planes?
2. Does AA not have full spectrum LED (multi color) mood lighting on their BSI 737s? Seemed to be only white and blue
3. I noticed a series of dials used to control the lights and a placard for the crew instructing them how to set the lighting dials for different phases of flight. I’ve never seen this before. Is this an AA thing or an option (instead of touchscreen)?

Mood lighting seems like a surprising place to cheap out but nothing with AA surprises me anymore.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos