Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

codc10

Re: United Airlines Network Thread - 2022

Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:29 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
mah584jr wrote:
Air Wisconsin will exit its partnership with United Airlines by March of 2023 and will begin flying for AA.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-wisco ... -airlines/

I don't believe United ever got over ZW stabbing them in the back years ago. especially after they built the B concourse exeension at ORD hust for their use.
I'm not surprised. now, because they wanted to fly for American then. That mess was UGLY!

Can you explain the ZW stabbing UA in the back comment? As I recall, after UA declared bankruptcy they dropped ZW like an anvil. Maybe there’s more to the story than that?

United didn’t renew the CPA and ZW found a new dance partner in AA. Nothing much more than that.

CALMSP

Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:35 am

cosyr wrote:
Velocirapture wrote:
codc10 wrote:
And the 747s… the pilot domicile was GUM too?

Yes. For a time, there was a GUM 747 pilot base. At that time, it was the only 747 pilot base at CO.

codc10 wrote:
The only gap I have now is the brief moment 757s were flying in Micronesia in the late 90s. Was there a GUM 757 domicile then?

Yes. That base didn't last real long before the 757s were moved back to the mainland.

intotheair wrote:
Wasn't there a subfleet of GUM/HNL 764s? I thought there was a special configuration of maybe four frames?

Yes. IIRC - and my memory isn't great on this question - six of the 16 764s had a higher density cabin configuration for Hawaii flights. Those aircraft also served HNL-GUM. I don't recall if they flew NGO-HNL, though.

There were 4 764's with only 20 J seats, instead of the usual 35. There was a pilot group based in GUM for those.

the 767 pilots were out of IAH, the pairing was IAH-HNL-GUM-NRT-GUM-HNL-IAH.

RyanairGuru

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:43 am

[photoid][/photoid]
Planeboy17 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
mah584jr wrote:
Air Wisconsin will exit its partnership with United Airlines by March of 2023 and will begin flying for AA.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-wisco ... -airlines/

I don't believe United ever got over ZW stabbing them in the back years ago. especially after they built the B concourse exeension at ORD hust for their use.
I'm not surprised. now, because they wanted to fly for American then. That mess was UGLY!

Can you explain the ZW stabbing UA in the back comment? As I recall, after UA declared bankruptcy they dropped ZW like an anvil. Maybe there’s more to the story than that?

UAL terminated the ACA CPA during BK, Wisconsin was simply a case of not renewing the contract when it expired. Regardless, it was United’s decision that ZW did not continue as a United Express carrier, ZW definitely did not “stab them in the back.” More to the point, for-profit corporations don’t hold grudges 17 years after the fact.

fun2fly

Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:11 am

B6SpiritofEWR wrote:
Well I am thinking we should be hearing more about the TATL schedule within the next month or 2. From what I have heard so far is that UA is planning to return to MAN, having acquired the rights to do so already. BUD is also heavily rumored. PRG will finally be launching as well. As for new routes I’d expect to see 2-3 spots from EWR. Seville, Spain would perform well in my opinion and is probably being considered based off PMI success.

Would UA give EWR-ORY/LGW a shot? It seems to me as though there is not enough capacity on EWR-LHR. As for a fact, most of UA’s well established TATL routes came up short in terms of capacity this year. Many routes were completely sold out for days on end over the summer. Additional capacity on EWR-AMS/BCN/MAD/LIS/MXP/MUC is long over due in my opinion.

BUD + return to MAN/PRG would be great. CLE>LHR or FRA? Not sure about a slot for LHR. LGW - AC makes this work, why can't UA?

Simply use the 8 new 78J's to upgauge or launch new gateways?

CALMSP

Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:33 pm

fun2fly wrote:
B6SpiritofEWR wrote:
Well I am thinking we should be hearing more about the TATL schedule within the next month or 2. From what I have heard so far is that UA is planning to return to MAN, having acquired the rights to do so already. BUD is also heavily rumored. PRG will finally be launching as well. As for new routes I’d expect to see 2-3 spots from EWR. Seville, Spain would perform well in my opinion and is probably being considered based off PMI success.

Would UA give EWR-ORY/LGW a shot? It seems to me as though there is not enough capacity on EWR-LHR. As for a fact, most of UA’s well established TATL routes came up short in terms of capacity this year. Many routes were completely sold out for days on end over the summer. Additional capacity on EWR-AMS/BCN/MAD/LIS/MXP/MUC is long over due in my opinion.

BUD + return to MAN/PRG would be great. CLE>LHR or FRA? Not sure about a slot for LHR. LGW - AC makes this work, why can't UA?

I thought PRG was already announced as coming back next year.

agree on MAN, would like to see that come back. I'd like to see the UK market rebuilt with the new 321's coming onboard. I'd like for LGW to come back as well. I always thought it could have stuck around simply with a 757 after the entrance to LHR.

fun2fly

Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:54 pm

CALMSP wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
B6SpiritofEWR wrote:

I thought PRG was already announced as coming back next year.

agree on MAN, would like to see that come back. I'd like to see the UK market rebuilt with the new 321's coming onboard. I'd like for LGW to come back as well. I always thought it could have stuck around simply with a 757 after the entrance to LHR.

Just checked, PRG is bookable. Must start in late May/early June, don't see it on the dates I'd like to go in mid-May.

jetblastdubai

Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:34 pm

fun2fly wrote:

Or...UA could use this opportunity to finally beef up their domestic offerings which has been their weakness in past years. London, Budapest and Cape Town are cool destinations but if passengers need to build in 5-6 hour layovers because of a lack of frequency to a hub or they need to start the dream vacation they've been planning for years on a CR2 it's easy to see customers looking at competitors.

Is it better to put a 78J on the 7-8 hour flight from EWR/IAD to FRA or BRU or put them on a 10 1/2 hour EWR/IAD-Hawaii route? Those 767s, currently on EWR/IAD - Hawaii, would be great domestic/mainland planes that would also fit in more domestic gates (at ORD specifically) The 78J's sweet spot is definitely in the longer segments.

With some E175s already parked/stored due to lack of pilots, upgauging to substitute the departing CR2s from Air Wisc probably can't happen anytime soon. Mainline narrowbodies will need to be freed up.

airplanedriver6

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:22 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
With some E175s already parked/stored due to lack of pilots, upgauging to substitute the departing CR2s from Air Wisc probably can't happen anytime soon. Mainline narrowbodies will need to be freed up.

FWIW, UAL has about 40 new mainline aircraft arriving in the 2nd half of 2022 and another 100 in 2023 so the solution to this "problem" not only exists, but UAL told the world last year with "United Next" that the 50 seat CRJs were gonna go away with the shift to larger mainline jets.

Airlines often hold their cards close to their chests, but UAL shouted from the rooftops its fleet plan.

jetblastdubai

Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:03 pm

airplanedriver6 wrote:
FWIW, UAL has about 40 new mainline aircraft arriving in the 2nd half of 2022 and another 100 in 2023 so the solution to this "problem" not only exists, but UAL told the world last year with "United Next" that the 50 seat CRJs were gonna go away with the shift to larger mainline jets.

Airlines often hold their cards close to their chests, but UAL shouted from the rooftops its fleet plan.

To staff these new arriving aircraft, UA will need to hire more pilots from somewhere and it will more than likely be from the pool of regional pilots that are left which will further deplete the regional ranks. I was trying to convey the point that in the shorter-term UA cannot afford to let these smaller, domestic markets dry up due to a lack of aircraft or crews and it might be prudent to pump the brakes on International expansion and keep their resources on the domestic side of things for a while.

Manchester and Casablanca will always be there for the taking when UA wants it. If they start closing down domestic stations and allow a competitor to monopolize some of them, they've lost that business forever.

Just my opinion though. I don't live in a United hub anymore so I probably have a different perspective on things.

SBAer

Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:19 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
To staff these new arriving aircraft, UA will need to hire more pilots from somewhere and it will more than likely be from the pool of regional pilots that are left which will further deplete the regional ranks.

That's the pathway for the aviate program and why they invested in it. They want to push potential pilots through UAX partners so that the UAX pilots become UA ones.

jbs2886

Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:01 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
airplanedriver6 wrote:

To staff these new arriving aircraft, UA will need to hire more pilots from somewhere and it will more than likely be from the pool of regional pilots that are left which will further deplete the regional ranks. I was trying to convey the point that in the shorter-term UA cannot afford to let these smaller, domestic markets dry up due to a lack of aircraft or crews and it might be prudent to pump the brakes on International expansion and keep their resources on the domestic side of things for a while.

Manchester and Casablanca will always be there for the taking when UA wants it. If they start closing down domestic stations and allow a competitor to monopolize some of them, they've lost that business forever.

Just my opinion though. I don't live in a United hub anymore so I probably have a different perspective on things.

Huh? Your initial post was on using widebodies domestically and not internationally. But the stations closing are CRJ stations, which certainly won’t have UA wide body domestic service.

Closing stations sucks for those cities, but I think UA knows what passengers it will lose and the impact on its network. I don’t understand how posters think airlines don’t operate with data.

cosyr

Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

Or...UA could use this opportunity to finally beef up their domestic offerings which has been their weakness in past years. London, Budapest and Cape Town are cool destinations but if passengers need to build in 5-6 hour layovers because of a lack of frequency to a hub or they need to start the dream vacation they've been planning for years on a CR2 it's easy to see customers looking at competitors.

Is it better to put a 78J on the 7-8 hour flight from EWR/IAD to FRA or BRU or put them on a 10 1/2 hour EWR/IAD-Hawaii route? Those 767s, currently on EWR/IAD - Hawaii, would be great domestic/mainland planes that would also fit in more domestic gates (at ORD specifically) The 78J's sweet spot is definitely in the longer segments.

I'm not sure I follow the logic here. If they add 78J's to the domestic network instead of 738/9's, that would decrease frequency. How would that help 5-6 hour layovers? I'm not saying I don't think they should add widebodies to the domestic markets. It's crazy to me that on a continent almost as wide as the Atlantic, that the US can't justify more widebodies domestically.

strfyr51

Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:56 am

Velocirapture wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
After the Merger, United got the "Bright" idea to base 747-400's at IAH. they found out soon enough that IAH didn't have the experience nor the knowhow to maintain the 747-422 because they'd not sallowed any of the United mechanics to even Bid IAH. (mainly becaue of their senority) So IAH didn't kniw the airplane and seemingly didn't WANT to know the airplane. Threey pitched a fit about having the Airbus airplanes there as well but WHQ evidently told them to get over it. Even in Maintenance control the S/CO guys stayed well away from the 747. While the S/UA guys had to work all the fleets. Now that the 747's are gone? I'm sure the load is much more equitable as the 787 and 777's are common to both sides of the aisle. the A320 and A319's are still pretty segregated to the UA side though there is no CO side anymore.

Where did the 747s fly to from IAH? I don't have any memory of them, but I wasn't based there after early 2012.

I do recall when the Smisek regime sent Airbus' to IAH without any parts and only 3 sCO mechanics were trained on them. This was according to two sCO line mechanics.

That same first summer of cross-fleeting, Smisek, et al, sent 737s to DEN and ORD but didn't bother to send parts until very late July.

Penny wise and pound foolish seemed to rule the day then.

i thought they were there for about 9 months in total. the Mayor of Houston made the Big deal out of them being there. though basing them there and flying through there are 2 different things. the Co/Alpa group got one airplane painted with proudly operated Bu Continental airlines ALPA and even had the N number changed to N505MC I had to go out to SFO for systems training and the airplane was sitting on the ramp. we took a picture of it and showed it to the United flight duty managers. who were al UA/ALPA and pretty quickly after? the airplane came up "missing". Have no idea where it went but i remember it's nose number was 8182 which is the ACARS call sign as well. which we would need to render tech support in Maintenance control. we tech support by the nose numbers rather than the N-number.

SFOtoORD

Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:09 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Velocirapture wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
After the Merger, United got the "Bright" idea to base 747-400's at IAH. they found out soon enough that IAH didn't have the experience nor the knowhow to maintain the 747-422 because they'd not sallowed any of the United mechanics to even Bid IAH. (mainly becaue of their senority) So IAH didn't kniw the airplane and seemingly didn't WANT to know the airplane. Threey pitched a fit about having the Airbus airplanes there as well but WHQ evidently told them to get over it. Even in Maintenance control the S/CO guys stayed well away from the 747. While the S/UA guys had to work all the fleets. Now that the 747's are gone? I'm sure the load is much more equitable as the 787 and 777's are common to both sides of the aisle. the A320 and A319's are still pretty segregated to the UA side though there is no CO side anymore.

Where did the 747s fly to from IAH? I don't have any memory of them, but I wasn't based there after early 2012.

I do recall when the Smisek regime sent Airbus' to IAH without any parts and only 3 sCO mechanics were trained on them. This was according to two sCO line mechanics.

That same first summer of cross-fleeting, Smisek, et al, sent 737s to DEN and ORD but didn't bother to send parts until very late July.

i thought they were there for about 9 months in total. the Mayor of Houston made the Big deal out of them being there. though basing them there and flying through there are 2 different things. the Co/Alpa group got one airplane painted with proudly operated Bu Continental airlines ALPA and even had the N number changed to N505MC I had to go out to SFO for systems training and the airplane was sitting on the ramp. we took a picture of it and showed it to the United flight duty managers. who were al UA/ALPA and pretty quickly after? the airplane came up "missing". Have no idea where it went but i remember it's nose number was 8182 which is the ACARS call sign as well. which we would need to render tech support in Maintenance control. we tech support by the nose numbers rather than the N-number.

Was that a plane they subleased out for charters?

United1

Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:26 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Velocirapture wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

N505MC is a 742 formerly operated by Atlas and was never part of the UA fleet. You may be thinking of Atlas operating flights between IAH and Luanda. They did lease a 744 from UA N194UA (ship 8194).

None of UA's 744s were ever reregistered while in UA service and there was never a 744 with the nose number of 8182.

jplatts

Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:56 pm

Here are the Q1 2022 PDEW's out of SFO/OAK/SJC of the top contiguous U.S. markets traveled to from the San Francisco Bay Area that don't currently have UA nonstop service out of SFO:
SF Bay Area-MIA/FLL - 1213 (UA SFO-MIA nonstop service scheduled to resume on 10/16/2022)
SF Bay Area-MSP - 371 (UA SFO-MSP nonstop service scheduled to resume on 9/6/2022)
SF Bay Area-DTW - 318 (UA SFO-DTW nonstop service scheduled to resume on 1/4/2023)
SF Bay Area-CLT - 219
SF Bay Area-MCI - 147 (UA SFO-MCI nonstop service scheduled to resume on 9/6/2022)
SF Bay Area-STL - 143 (UA SFO-STL nonstop service scheduled to resume on 1/4/2023)
SF Bay Area-BDL - 102
SF Bay Area-RSW - 98 (UA SFO-RSW nonstop service scheduled to resume on 12/16/2022)
SF Bay Area-CVG - 92
SF Bay Area-JAX - 73
SF Bay Area-MKE - 68
SF Bay Area-ELP - 67
SF Bay Area-OMA - 64 (UA SFO-OMA nonstop service scheduled to resume on 9/6/2022)
SF Bay Area-OKC - 60 (UA SFO-OKC nonstop service scheduled to resume on 1/4/2023)
SF Bay Area-MEM - 57
SF Bay Area-BLI - 55 (BLI is not served by UA)
SF Bay Area-RIC - 54
SF Bay Area-CHS - 53
SF Bay Area-SDF - 48
SF Bay Area-ORF - 47

LAXdude1023

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:31 pm

Looks like IAH-YVR/YYC are out of the system effective November.

UA444

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:26 pm

United1 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Velocirapture wrote:

N505MC is a 742 formerly operated by Atlas and was never part of the UA fleet. You may be thinking of Atlas operating flights between IAH and Luanda. They did lease a 744 from UA N194UA (ship 8194).

None of UA's 744s were ever reregistered while in UA service and there was never a 744 with the nose number of 8182.

N182UA was 8182 before it and the rest of the 744s got IPTE

FlyingSicilian

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:44 pm

Back in the day one could get UA miles for flying the Houston Express to and from Luanda for Sonair; it was thrice weekly.

sfojvjets

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:55 pm

jplatts wrote:
Here are the Q1 2022 PDEW's out of SFO/OAK/SJC of the top contiguous U.S. markets traveled to from the San Francisco Bay Area that don't currently have UA nonstop service out of SFO:
SF Bay Area-MIA/FLL - 1213 (UA SFO-MIA nonstop service scheduled to resume on 10/16/2022)
SF Bay Area-MSP - 371 (UA SFO-MSP nonstop service scheduled to resume on 9/6/2022)
SF Bay Area-DTW - 318 (UA SFO-DTW nonstop service scheduled to resume on 1/4/2023)
SF Bay Area-CLT - 219
SF Bay Area-MCI - 147 (UA SFO-MCI nonstop service scheduled to resume on 9/6/2022)
SF Bay Area-STL - 143 (UA SFO-STL nonstop service scheduled to resume on 1/4/2023)
SF Bay Area-BDL - 102
SF Bay Area-RSW - 98 (UA SFO-RSW nonstop service scheduled to resume on 12/16/2022)
SF Bay Area-CVG - 92
SF Bay Area-JAX - 73
SF Bay Area-MKE - 68
SF Bay Area-ELP - 67
SF Bay Area-OMA - 64 (UA SFO-OMA nonstop service scheduled to resume on 9/6/2022)
SF Bay Area-OKC - 60 (UA SFO-OKC nonstop service scheduled to resume on 1/4/2023)
SF Bay Area-MEM - 57
SF Bay Area-BLI - 55 (BLI is not served by UA)
SF Bay Area-RIC - 54
SF Bay Area-CHS - 53
SF Bay Area-SDF - 48
SF Bay Area-ORF - 47

Just a correction, both RSW and MIA are served by UA from SFO. They just happen to be winter-seasonal. So those routes aren't resumptions as they already relaunched service in Q4 2021 (RSW was a new route that launched last year).

Generally the center of the country seems to be very underserved. Of course, some of this can be attributed to how weak Asia continues to be. Another part of it is just UA's inability to compete at competitor fortress hubs (DTW, MSP, etc). DFW is definitely a part of that list but I think UA resumed with Skywest 175s this summer.

UA Next should address a lot of these issues, eventually allowing UA to compete better in the shortcomings that I talked about above.

avi8

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:01 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

That’s odd. It seems like IAH has evolved into a bit of an awkward hub when it comes to retaining connectivity in North America. I personally love IAH and it’s my favorite UA hub due to its connectivity with Latin America, so I always root for it.

strfyr51

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:03 am

cnunn wrote:
N292UX wrote:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL200/history/20211231/2310Z/PGUM/PHNL
Interesting thing I saw today. UA 200 (773) took off from Guam on Jan. 1 2022, and landed in Honolulu on December 31, 2021.

Might have to put that one on the bucket list. Celebrate NYE in Guam, catch the morning flight over to HNL, then celebrate NYE again in Hawaii. Time zones (especially around the international date line) are wonky.

Heck ! if that's the case? Why not try it in 10 countries?

strfyr51

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:20 am

United1 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Velocirapture wrote:

I saw the airplane up close as I walked by it for the 2 weeks I was in 747-400 class. IT WAS 505mc ON the side and the former nose number was 8182, The ACARS was working and it has a sign big as day in it "proudly operated By CALPA pilots"! Except they Never got to fly a single revenue flight ON that airplane! One of the other Controller's and I took pictures with our Phones and brought them back to WHQ where we showed them to the Flight ops Duty managers. I guess the Flight ops duty managers took them to UA/Alpa because that airplane came up missing pretty damn quick and it wasn't a bad looking airplane either with that Purple tail.

Pi7472000

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:28 am

avi8 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

That’s odd. It seems like IAH has evolved into a bit of an awkward hub when it comes to retaining connectivity in North America. I personally love IAH and it’s my favorite UA hub due to its connectivity with Latin America, so I always root for it.

Not surprised to see more cuts to IAH.

strfyr51

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:32 am

strfyr51 wrote:
United1 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

I saw the airplane up close as I walked by it for the 2 weeks I was in 747-400 class. IT WAS 505mc ON the side and the former nose number was 8182, The ACARS was working and it has a sign big as day in it "proudly operated By CALPA pilots"! Except they Never got to fly a single revenue flight ON that airplane! One of the other Controller's and I took pictures with our Phones and brought them back to WHQ where we showed them to the Flight ops Duty managers. I guess the Flight ops duty managers took them to UA/Alpa because that airplane came up missing pretty damn quick and it wasn't a bad looking airplane either with that Purple tail.

We were also using the airplane to try and upload nav data updates over ACARS as they had been Manually uploaded up to that point. As every month we had to download Nav Data updates on floppies and install them in the airplanes on the overnight visits. When the 787's came about they found a way to do it without installing floppies. So Now? I guess they can do it without floppie disks, Or CD-Roms

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:34 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Pi7472000 wrote:
avi8 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Are you surprised by this?

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... rport.html

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:04 am

avi8 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

YYC-IAH is now quite crowded with WS and AC still flying it. Thats a big market and always be served by someone.

YVR-IAH is a sizable market and probably related to aircraft shortage. They probably figured the Latin American connections werent worth fighting for.

Its not so much something Im worried about as an IAH flyer. Domestic capacity is pretty high overall YOY but frequency is down just as it is at ORD and DEN. Markets that were a mix of regional and mainline from IAH are now all mainline.

Probably also have to keep those schedules with a grain of salt. ORD/LAX-PVG are showing as operating and there is zero percent chance of that.

jetskipper

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:20 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Pi7472000 wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Are you surprised by this?

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... rport.html

What cities were cut for those whom don’t have access.?

UA444

Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:00 am

strfyr51 wrote:
United1 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

I believe you wholeheartedly. It was probably N194UA which did fly in basic Atlas colors after it was leased to them for all of 2011.

FlyingSicilian

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:56 am

YYC has several flights a day including AC, YEG is back on the books for next summer for now and YUL and YYT are fine. I would presume YVR will back late next spring at some point from IAH. I would expect YYC back on UA metal also. UA had a good contract on the route for both pax and small cargo with an NOV subsidiary at one point recently. I need to check if it is gone but regardless I think it comes back on UA metal.

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:23 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
YYC has several flights a day including AC, YEG is back on the books for next summer for now and YUL and YYT are fine. I would presume YVR will back late next spring at some point from IAH. I would expect YYC back on UA metal also. UA had a good contract on the route for both pax and small cargo with an NOV subsidiary at one point recently. I need to check if it is gone but regardless I think it comes back on UA metal.

They are seasonal cuts. They come back in March. Looks like its November to March cut.

adamblang

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:21 pm

USAirALB

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:07 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
YYT are fine.

UA hasn't served YYT in years.

3D101CA

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:42 pm

With Nigeria holding funds from foreign carriers (EK is suspending service to LOS), could UA suspend IAD-LOS? Wonder how UA is being impacted on this issue.

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 pm

3D101CA wrote:
With Nigeria holding funds from foreign carriers (EK is suspending service to LOS), could UA suspend IAD-LOS? Wonder how UA is being impacted on this issue.

That was the primary reason IAH-LOS was canned.

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:31 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
3D101CA wrote:

I was surprised when UA launched IAD-LOS because of this reason.

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:58 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
3D101CA wrote:

I was surprised when UA launched IAD-LOS because of this reason.

I was too. Its not hard to fill a plane on O&D alone from NYC, DC, or Houston to Nigeria. But if you cant get money from it, whats the point? This is especially true for Houston where there is a huge component of Point of Sale from Nigeria.

lat41

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:04 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:
airplanedriver6 wrote:

Huh? Your initial post was on using widebodies domestically and not internationally. But the stations closing are CRJ stations, which certainly won’t have UA wide body domestic service.

Closing stations sucks for those cities, but I think UA knows what passengers it will lose and the impact on its network. I don’t understand how posters think airlines don’t operate with data.

Yes,closing stations sucks but by the time they close, dependability and frequency have sucked at those stations for a while, and the UA passengers have already been walking away when there is a choice. I use PVD (not on the cut list) as it is near me, but any one of a number of small/medium cities in the Eastern US endure the same problem. A few flakes of snow, a clap of thunder, winds the wrong way, or runway congestion and there goes our EWR flights. Forget the superb list of connections available there and lately the word is out. "UA is a gamble". IAD a bit better but does not offer the onward cities.

FlyingSicilian

Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:10 pm

USAirALB wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
YYT are fine.

UA hasn't served YYT in years.

Typo YYZ

Velocirapture

Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:24 pm

strfyr51 wrote:

N505MC was an Atlas Air aircraft (and a -200 to boot).

As a pilot from sCO, I can tell you that CO never operated N505MC. Never.

So I suspect that you're confusing a few things including the aircraft that Atlas did operate that did originate with UAL and the similarity of the blue Atlas tail and the legacy CO tail scheme.

Here's N505MC:

atcsundevil

Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:32 am

Just a reminder that this is the *Network* thread. There is a separate *Fleet* thread that exists for fleet related discussion. I don't want to have to remove any comments, so please be sure to post in the correct thread.

✈️ atcsundevil

MCIsundevil

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:29 pm

found something odd in trying to book MCI EWR the latter part of the month… for the week of Sept 19 only there are no nonstops - there are usually 3x/day exc Sat (2 mainline) - and they are back the following week - I’ve seen an early or late flight come or go at different times of the year but never all flights to a hub for just a week.

avi8

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:41 pm

MCIsundevil wrote:
found something odd in trying to book MCI EWR the latter part of the month… for the week of Sept 19 only there are no nonstops - there are usually 3x/day exc Sat (2 mainline) - and they are back the following week - I’ve seen an early or late flight come or go at different times of the year but never all flights to a hub for just a week.

UA is reducing the EWR schedule by almost half for part of September due to runway work if I'm not mistaken.

B6SpiritofEWR

Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:03 pm

avi8 wrote:
MCIsundevil wrote:

UA is reducing the EWR schedule by almost half for part of September due to runway work if I'm not mistaken.

Correct. UA made major cuts

N292UX

Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:13 pm

UA got permission to cut at least 50 domestic flights at EWR mainly due to congestion, but I think it was supposed to be temporary. Wouldn't be surprised if some of those CRJ-550 routes they moved to EWR from IAD (MDT, AVP, SCE, ITH) end up moving back to IAD eventually due to congestion.

B6SpiritofEWR

Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:20 pm

N292UX wrote:
UA got permission to cut at least 50 domestic flights at EWR mainly due to congestion, but I think it was supposed to be temporary. Wouldn't be surprised if some of those CRJ-550 routes they moved to EWR from IAD (MDT, AVP, SCE, ITH) end up moving back to IAD eventually due to congestion.

Yes that 50 number is separate from the September runway work though. Those CRJ-550 flights really gotta go.

codc10

Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:50 pm

B6SpiritofEWR wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Yes that 50 number is separate from the September runway work though. Those CRJ-550 flights really gotta go.

In practice, they go anyway. Generally speaking these are the first to be cut in any kind of ground delay program.

VC10er

Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:31 am

Hello all,

Quick question, with the A321XLR can UA fly to Deep South America nonstop from EWR? Or do you think they may add some interesting South America destinations from IAH? For example:
Brasília
Manaus
Congoinas, SP
Rio de Janeiro (Santos Dumont)
Cordoba, Argentina
The basic idea would be the same as secondary, tertiary cities in LATAM like the new secondary nonstop European destinations.

I’m not sure if CGH or SDU would require a narrow body AND can CGH & SDU manage International flights? WOW, (Nossa!) the time saved by landing downtown in either city!
-R

cosyr

Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:07 am

VC10er wrote:
Hello all,

Quick question, with the A321XLR can UA fly to Deep South America nonstop from EWR? Or do you think they may add some interesting South America destinations from IAH? For example:
Brasília
Manaus
Congoinas, SP
Rio de Janeiro (Santos Dumont)
Cordoba, Argentina
The basic idea would be the same as secondary, tertiary cities in LATAM like the new secondary nonstop European destinations.

I’m not sure if CGH or SDU would require a narrow body AND can CGH & SDU manage International flights? WOW, (Nossa!) the time saved by landing downtown in either city!
-R

EWR-SCL is 4433nm, EWR-EZE is 4597nm, both are just within the claimed 4700nm range of the XLR, and maybe that's not unreasonable either, if they have a big J section reducing the likely overall capacity. I think it is unlikely that they would want to fly those two routes with a sub 200 seat aircraft, but for sure anything north of Argentina is comfortably within range of EWR on the XLR, so perhaps it will open up a few new routes. I would love to see UA compete with AA a little more like CO did, and fly to more secondary cities in Peru and Colombia, and maybe Brazil too.

VC10er

Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:47 am

Brazil is probably one of the most unknown of gems. Northern Brazil is extremely fabulous, not that far and under served.
It seems there for UA to take even if it starts as thrice weekly?
What comes first the advertising, resort or nonstop air service? VARIG’s “air-pass” was amazing (5 cities one fare) so I wonder if United can set up something similar with Azul.
I agree re: AA. Things have finally changed and UA is enjoying being preferred over AA right now. So take advantage (no pun) of their marketplace position and start feeding GIG, SCL & EZE from EWR with one A321XLR each and potentially up-gage as the flier base grows. Oddly NOT ONE aircraft flies NYC-RIO nonstop- not even 3x a week. If UA brought back the old MVD tag it could possibly add more bodies?
Just sayin’!!!
I have not checked the UA route map, but I thought they already flew Santiago and Lima (or is it just from IAH?)
Thx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos