Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PHLspecial

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2022

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:09 pm

crownvic wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
crownvic wrote:

While the proximity issue definitely has an impact, it is a problem that has existed for an eternity even back to the 60s. As international growth took off in the NYC, BOS and the D.C. area, it floundered at PHL. I have written this several times on this site over the past 20 years. Alitalia came and went, Swissair came and went and Air France came and went three times while the only long haul carrier to get any kind of foothold in PHL is BA. Although LH has been there since the 1960s, aside from dropping the BOS/Montreal stop and going nonstop, it has never developed more than a single daily nonstop and even that schedule seasonally adjusts. The only reason EI succeeds is because they're using a small aircraft.

As I have pointed out, something is just not right at PHL and if I could blame one common factor, it is the city. Perhaps, had the airport been privatized, it would have fared better? As I also mentioned, USAir/Airways had things going on the right track, but AA has picked it apart. The city has no worse of an identity crisis than any other big city in America. They all have the same problems, yet even cities with huge problems still have airports that thrive. I never thought I would say this because of all the delays this airport had when it was bursting at the seams, but the airport is now underutilized in both passenger and cargo service.

I think it’s a combination of factors.

The location between 2 major cities (NYC and DC) means that airlines choose to focus on higher demand from those airports instead.

PHL is also not a city that appears to have a lot of global reach in terms of companies based there, and tends to be more focused on domestic business from what I can see. Finding ways to strengthen this may help build the appeal for more service.

There you go. The airport is run by the city and city is run by the city. A common denominator as to why both have an identity crisis. Philly is a great city for those who know its positives (food, entertainment, sports, etc.), but it has been marred in corruption for many years especially during the 1960s/70s. I am trying not to be political, but it does have huge problems brought on by itself (like so many other American cities). The city has failed to capitalize on the positive things it can offer. The mentality of the city is, the status quo is good enough and they have not done a good job attracting tourists or businesses. Even their ports along the Delaware River with direct access to the Atlantic Ocean have been poorly developed. When Philly is in the news, it is rarely for a good reason anymore.

I'm usually a Philly doomer but the ports is one of the fastest growing shipping ports on the east coast. Even with it's small operation. The port is expanding. Now this fall the city will have a vote to separate the division of aviation from the chamber of commerces. In theory that should help PHL have more independence. These are small steps but we are slowly figuring out that the status quo is not good enough anymore.

leader1

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:09 pm

chrisnh wrote:
JL would be quite the get for PHL. In Boston, they were VERY reliable and consistent through the lean pandemic months. When other international airlines were acting like turtles, JAL kept sending its 789 to BOS practically every day. Japan is a pride-filled country and they’d be a great addition at PHL while AA seems fixated on European routes.

If JL were to happen, it would have been before the pandemic. The fact that they never did all this time after the AA merger speaks volumes. And Asia is opening up to a trickle now and it will continue to be slow for a while. The reason the BOS works is because of different demographics and a different local economy that caters more to international travel than Philadelphia’s.

B752OS wrote:
Does the proximity to EWR/JFK and BWI/IAD have a large impact on PHL in terms of international service? Philadelphia's metro area has a population of more than 6.2 million people, and yet there are only 4 international carriers that currently serve PHL. I understand that AA has a pretty good sized network to places like YYZ, YUL, FCO, MAD, MBJ, LHR, etc. Or is the makeup of the economy in the Philadelphia area not really prone to travel and that plays a role in this?

ATL is roughly the same sized metro area and they have 11 foreign carriers that serve the airport.

Maybe Philadelphia’s proximity to NYC and DC has something to do with it, but not all. Boston would be a good comparison because it’s a similar size and its airport has similar expansion and congestion issues (at least before the pandemic). Boston, as mentioned above, has much different demographics than Philadelphia, which generate international traffic. You have more Asians, but also stronger ethnic European communities - Italian, Greek, Portuguese, etc. - compared to Philadelphia. Boston’s economy is also much different. It is a richer city with more knowledge-based industries that support more international travel.

Philadelphia already has a lot of European service from AA, which is impressive in its own right. But that’s probably all it can support and foreign carriers adding more is overkill.

Also, ATL is the busiest airport in the world and the biggest hub in the Deep South. Of course it can support a lot of international traffic.

crownvic wrote:
There you go. The airport is run by the city and city is run by the city. A common denominator as to why both have an identity crisis. Philly is a great city for those who know its positives (food, entertainment, sports, etc.), but it has been marred in corruption for many years especially during the 1960s/70s. I am trying not to be political, but it does have huge problems brought on by itself (like so many other American cities). The city has failed to capitalize on the positive things it can offer. The mentality of the city is, the status quo is good enough and they have not done a good job attracting tourists or businesses. Even their ports along the Delaware River with direct access to the Atlantic Ocean have been poorly developed. When Philly is in the news, it is rarely for a good reason anymore.

Philadelphia’s political problems continue today. I thought the city was on the right track with Michael Nutter, who did a good job overall. Jim Kenny has been horrible. He’s essentially ceded control of the city to an incompetent city council and an even worse Larry Krasner, whom was inexplicably re-elected despite an abysmal record. If the city is receiving negative publicity, Larry Krasner deserves a lot the blame.

Zbogart757 wrote:
By the end of the year or early next year PHL should have a new master plan out, it’s gonna be interesting to see what ideas and concepts they will have incorporated in this. I think a complete overhaul like how LGA did might be necessary. And I know runway 8-26 is mostly used for GA aircraft but is it truly needed anymore? Where a terminal expansion could be placed there for a replacement for D/E and then reconstruct where the current ones are. Obviously this is all hypothetical but something needs to change or PHL is going to be consistently left flat footed.

8/26 is useless at this point. It is an inefficient runway because it’s too close and too staggered to 9L/27R. An ATC explained to me that there would be wake turbulence issues if it was used a lot and it couldn’t be used independently.

Bigant0408

Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:26 pm

Frontier is ending 3 routes in December: Houston, Kansas City, San Antonio

Paywall
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphi ... lphia.html

Not sure if this was mentioned as well but F9 just end service to Myrtle Beach and will end service next month to Savannah

gregarious119

Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:10 pm

Zbogart757 wrote:
By the end of the year or early next year PHL should have a new master plan out, it’s gonna be interesting to see what ideas and concepts they will have incorporated in this. I think a complete overhaul like how LGA did might be necessary. And I know runway 8-26 is mostly used for GA aircraft but is it truly needed anymore? Where a terminal expansion could be placed there for a replacement for D/E and then reconstruct where the current ones are. Obviously this is all hypothetical but something needs to change or PHL is going to be consistently left flat footed.

There's no doubt in my mind that that land would be far more effective as a terminal expansion area than what it's currently being used for. Make 17/35 the "primary" GA runway and be done with it.

usairways85

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Does anyone know what is going on with the new RON area they built next to FedEx? I thought I saw an article highlighting the completion. Departing from PHL last week it looked like it was pretty much completed but had a ton of gse blocking any use of it. I cannot imagine there is that much of a need given the reduced schedules from B6, DL, UA. I've seen F9 and NK use the old IAB area to park aircraft.

PHLspecial

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:22 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Does anyone know what is going on with the new RON area they built next to FedEx? I thought I saw an article highlighting the completion. Departing from PHL last week it looked like it was pretty much completed but had a ton of gse blocking any use of it. I cannot imagine there is that much of a need given the reduced schedules from B6, DL, UA. I've seen F9 and NK use the old IAB area to park aircraft.

Maybe the QR can be stored there during the day to make room for other aircraft. I agree it seems like a waste at this moment

aerace

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:35 pm

aerace wrote:
AA is yet again running a seasonal SLC schedule back for the December holiday break from 12/15-1/2. Can't seem to ever get consistent on this route.

Actually adds some dates around Thanksgiving as well..so much for this route being suspended...

ScottB

Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:14 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
crownvic wrote:
B752OS wrote:
Does the proximity to EWR/JFK and BWI/IAD have a large impact on PHL in terms of international service? Philadelphia's metro area has a population of more than 6.2 million people, and yet there are only 4 international carriers that currently serve PHL. I understand that AA has a pretty good sized network to places like YYZ, YUL, FCO, MAD, MBJ, LHR, etc. Or is the makeup of the economy in the Philadelphia area not really prone to travel and that plays a role in this?

ATL is roughly the same sized metro area and they have 11 foreign carriers that serve the airport.

While the proximity issue definitely has an impact, it is a problem that has existed for an eternity even back to the 60s. As international growth took off in the NYC, BOS and the D.C. area, it floundered at PHL. I have written this several times on this site over the past 20 years. Alitalia came and went, Swissair came and went and Air France came and went three times while the only long haul carrier to get any kind of foothold in PHL is BA. Although LH has been there since the 1960s, aside from dropping the BOS/Montreal stop and going nonstop, it has never developed more than a single daily nonstop and even that schedule seasonally adjusts. The only reason EI succeeds is because they're using a small aircraft.

As I have pointed out, something is just not right at PHL and if I could blame one common factor, it is the city. Perhaps, had the airport been privatized, it would have fared better? As I also mentioned, USAir/Airways had things going on the right track, but AA has picked it apart. The city has no worse of an identity crisis than any other big city in America. They all have the same problems, yet even cities with huge problems still have airports that thrive. I never thought I would say this because of all the delays this airport had when it was bursting at the seams, but the airport is now underutilized in both passenger and cargo service.

I think it’s a combination of factors.

The location between 2 major cities (NYC and DC) means that airlines choose to focus on higher demand from those airports instead.

PHL is also not a city that appears to have a lot of global reach in terms of companies based there, and tends to be more focused on domestic business from what I can see. Finding ways to strengthen this may help build the appeal for more service.

It's not so much an issue of being between NYC and DC, but rather how many East Coast gateways an airline needs. With only three large network carriers now, none of them really need a transatlantic gateway at PHL. DL has BOS & JFK. UA has EWR & IAD. AA has JFK, PHL, and to some degree, CLT. Strategically, the best option for AA, if they're allowed to cooperate with B6 to the NEA, is to operate transatlantic flights from JFK, since the O&D will be so much stronger.

It doesn't help that the Philadelphia metro area is relatively poor when compared to Boston, NYC, and D.C. Boston's per capita GDP is nearly 25% higher than Philadelphia's, while Washington (excluding Baltimore) is about 15% higher. NYC is 10% higher, but the market is also so much larger. Plus, as you mentioned, NYC/WAS/BOS all have greater global reach and recognition; all three are above PHL in the rankings of global cities (i.e. NYC is alpha++, Boston is alpha-, Washington is beta+, Philadephia is beta).

TheFlyGuy

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:15 pm

AA launching Landline bus service to/from LNS, expanding the recently launched service to/from ACY and ABE.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphi ... route.html

PHLspecial

Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:56 pm

TheFlyGuy wrote:
AA launching Landline bus service to/from LNS, expanding the recently launched service to/from ACY and ABE.

Have they figure the TSA issue yet or at least have a dedicated line to speed up check in at PHL?

aerace

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:02 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:

Have they figure the TSA issue yet or at least have a dedicated line to speed up check in at PHL?

Literally taking the bus from AC on Monday, was going to ask if anyone has heard anything but either way, can report back...

azo

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:43 pm

aerace wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:

Literally taking the bus from AC on Monday, was going to ask if anyone has heard anything but either way, can report back...

Please do. I am taking it to and from ACY in a couple weeks.

PHLspecial

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:47 pm

aerace wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:

How are the fares? I live in Philly so it makes no sense for me to any of the landline bus locations or Harrisburg unless it' much cheaper.

crj900lr

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:08 am

PHLspecial wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:

Dropped off Infront of F. Go inside to TSA, there is no dedicated line, get screened and go to your flight. Checked bags are picked up by a runner who meets the flight (bus) and brings the bags to TSA. Only valet bags are given back curbside. Bus leaves and goes to be inspected and then is allowed to enter the airside part and proceed to F8 for the return "flight." There is no airside to airside service with these buses yet and probably won't be for some time if ever. The set up that they have now might be what they have to deal with for the foreseeable future unless there is a change of the rules.

aerace

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:14 am

PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

How are the fares? I live in Philly so it makes no sense for me to any of the landline bus locations or Harrisburg unless it' much cheaper.

I'm down the shore for the summer and have to go to Detroit for a conference. From PHL, the fare for Mon-Thurs was around 550 (I booked 2 weeks ago) but AC was 615 so i said for the cost for the round trip Uber from my home in Philly, I would try out the bus from AC. I have an hour and change layover on each end. It's annoying they haven't figured out the TSA thing, but with Precheck it's kind of a non-factor.

BangersAndMash

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:04 pm

It's now official. Contour has won the EAS contract at Altoona and will be starting flights to PHL from Oct. 1. 12x weekly with either ERJ-135 or CRJ-200 jets configured with 30 seats.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2002-11446-0300

PHLspecial

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
It's now official. Contour has won the EAS contract at Altoona and will be starting flights to PHL from Oct. 1. 12x weekly with either ERJ-135 or CRJ-200 jets configured with 30 seats.

Glad to see Contour awarded this route. Glad to see more routes granted for this city.

Bigant0408

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. It' will be interesting as to what the scheduling will be

BangersAndMash

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:37 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. It' will be interesting as to what the scheduling will be

I'm expecting something very similar to what they're doing at PBG and OGS. Something like 8AM and 4PM departures from AOO and 11AM and 7PM departures from PHL.

Bigant0408

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:38 pm

dcd
Last edited by Bigant0408 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bigant0408

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:42 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I'm expecting something very similar to what they're doing at PBG and OGS. Something like 8AM and 4PM departures from AOO and 11AM and 7PM departures from PHL.

Understood. I know in the news info I view when I volunteer at the airport that Contour was designated Gates F5, 7 & 9 so that would make sense if the scheduling is similar

BangersAndMash

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:02 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Understood. I know in the news info I view when I volunteer at the airport that Contour was designated Gates F5, 7 & 9 so that would make sense if the scheduling is similar

Well it is a wild guess at this point, but it would be pretty consistent with what they typically do across their network.

PHLspecial

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm

I was super bored found an article about US airways starting direct flights from Philadelphia to Sao Paulo Brazil. This was suppose to start in October 2014.
Whatever happen to that flight?

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphi ... l?page=all

chepos

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:29 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
I was super bored found an article about US airways starting direct flights from Philadelphia to Sao Paulo Brazil. This was suppose to start in October 2014.

Back fhen the GRU routes had to be awarded, AA did not get the PHL route. Subsequently, the Brazilian economy crashed, so PHL even if awarded it would have been short lived. JFK soldiers on because there is healthy demand from NYC to Brazil, PHL does not have that demand.

sagechan

Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:47 am

PHLspecial wrote:

Merger in December 2013 and crash in Brazil it never launched, the briefly run CLT-Brazil flights were quickly discontinued as well.

PHLspecial

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:31 am

chepos wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Back fhen the GRU routes had to be awarded, AA did not get the PHL route. Subsequently, the Brazilian economy crashed, so PHL even if awarded it would have been short lived. JFK soldiers on because there is healthy demand from NYC to Brazil, PHL does not have that demand.

I feel like PHL never has international demand. Probably because it's domestic companies here not really international companies. Plus it's cheaper to fly out of EWR or JFK.
I will say the article made it seem like there was initial demand to PHL.

chepos

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:04 am

PHLspecial wrote:
chepos wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

I feel like PHL never has international demand. Probably because it's domestic companies here not really international companies. Plus it's cheaper to fly out of EWR or JFK.

There is international demand, just not to South America. As a hub it serves a purpose, it funnels traffic to large European markets. With a hub in Miami, AA does not need to serve South American cities from hub cities with little demand (like CLT or PHL).

crownvic

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 am

PHLspecial wrote:
chepos wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

There is plenty of international demand at PHL to the primary cities in Europe. The USAirways philosophy at PHL was never intended to be all O & D, but a major connecting hub from second and third tier cities all over the Northeast, Midwest and mid-Atlantic region, along with Caribbean and network connections going overseas. If you add that to PHL's O & D, you have the potential for a powerhouse transatlantic hub. USAirways did that and they did it successfully. They added Tel Aviv and were planning to add Cairo and other Middle East destinations along with some South American destinations, but then the merger/acquisition with AA happened followed by COVID. The problem PHL has is AA's domestic feed has weakened substantially as they have focused on CLT. The question is whether AA will build their domestic network back up at PHL. PHL used to have many flights feeding its international hub at PHL with 19, 30, 37 and 50 seaters. While that may not sound like much, if you multiply that by the sheer volume of those flights, they were quite a contribution to PHL's connecting hub. Those planes are all gone now along with many of the cities they served. I believe the smallest aircraft now feeding AA's system there is 70 seats (E-170/CR7). This alone has changed the dynamics at PHL and whether AA decides to rebuild PHL, time will tell.

chepos

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:53 am

crownvic wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
chepos wrote:

There is plenty of international demand at PHL to the primary cities in Europe. The USAirways philosophy at PHL was never intended to be all O & D, but a major connecting hub from second and third tier cities all over the Northeast, Midwest and mid-Atlantic region, along with Caribbean and network connections going overseas. If you add that to PHL's O & D, you have the potential for a powerhouse transatlantic hub. USAirways did that and they did it successfully. They added Tel Aviv and were planning to add Cairo and other Middle East destinations along with some South American destinations, but then the merger/acquisition with AA happened followed by COVID. The problem PHL has is AA's domestic feed has weakened substantially as they have focused on CLT. The question is whether AA will build their domestic network back up at PHL. PHL used to have many flights feeding its international hub at PHL with 19, 30, 37 and 50 seaters. While that may not sound like much, if you multiply that by the sheer volume of those flights, they were quite a contribution to PHL's connecting hub. Those planes are all gone now along with many of the cities they served. I believe the smallest aircraft now feeding AA's system there is 70 seats (E-170/CR7). This alone has changed the dynamics at PHL and whether AA decides to rebuild PHL, time will tell.

PHL still sees the Piedmont 145, as someone who worked at US I never heard of Cairo or any mideast destination other than TLV. People threw many rumors out there, employees do that (most of the time they are just a wish list of destinations). Istanbul was the favorite one for flight attendants, they would swear up and down that US was going to fly it from PHL. Most crew members or ground crew have little to ni insight on route planning.

aerace

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:36 pm

AA bringing WB service to PHX for the month of November. Hoping to see more of this return through winter…

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/220815-aanov22phlphx

Bigant0408

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:01 pm

aerace wrote:
AA bringing WB service to PHX for the month of November. Hoping to see more of this return through winter…

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/220815-aanov22phlphx

That's great to see. Wish they started this in late September as I going out to Phoenix for the week as that would have been nice. Still nice to see them bring back a widebody on domestic

Bigant0408

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:06 pm

On more route cancellations/suspension Delta has canceled there route to RDU and Jetblue will cancel there FLL route starting on Jan 3rd. IMO for Delta the RDU I believe was driven on business travelers and with AA and F9 on the route I'd assume it was tough to bring it back. As for B6 this route has been so inconsistent I'm not surprised they are cancelling again.

PHLspecial

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
On more route cancellations/suspension Delta has canceled there route to RDU and Jetblue will cancel there FLL route starting on Jan 3rd. IMO for Delta the RDU I believe was driven on business travelers and with AA and F9 on the route I'd assume it was tough to bring it back. As for B6 this route has been so inconsistent I'm not surprised they are cancelling again.

It's a shame that B6 can't have a good footing here. I think it would have been a good alternative to AA for better onboard products.
I'm not surprised about RDU either DL was running the CR2, no way they would have completed for business traffic.

usairways85

Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:08 pm

For clarity the PHL-PHX flight will be on the 788. The aeroroutes post lists both 788 and 789 on different lines. The PHL-MIA 788 rotation appears to drop off the schedule.

Bigant0408

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Eastern Airlines is having yet another PHL Flight Attendant Open house on Aug 23rd

https://fb.me/e/1WfqlsSL3

I know it was shared a while ago that there first open house in July was horrible with hardly anyone showing. Overall I looked at there job openings and they have a ton jobs available with majority of them in Wayne PA doesn't surprise me with there high turnover. I know this airline is not worth talking about much at the moment but figured I'd share

PHLspecial

Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:46 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Eastern Airlines is having yet another PHL Flight Attendant Open house on Aug 23rd

I know it was shared a while ago that there first open house in July was horrible with hardly anyone showing. Overall I looked at there job openings and they have a ton jobs available with majority of them in Wayne PA doesn't surprise me with there high turnover. I know this airline is not worth talking about much at the moment but figured I'd share

If you are going to recruit for jobs, why a FB event post? They should be paying for Indeed, LinkedIn, etc for job recruiting.

Bigant0408

Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:06 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

If you are going to recruit for jobs, why a FB event post? They should be paying for Indeed, LinkedIn, etc for job recruiting.

They actually did post on Linkedin that I can vouch. I follow them on there and they did post about it

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/eastern- ... esktop_web

Overall I've been trying to find any recent info on them good or bad but there's not much. Someone on the Eastern Thread did post that they are slowly recovering but still a train wreck

crownvic

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:55 am

usairways85 wrote:
For clarity the PHL-PHX flight will be on the 788. The aeroroutes post lists both 788 and 789 on different lines. The PHL-MIA 788 rotation appears to drop off the schedule.

Last year (or was it the year before), they did PHL-LAS with the 788. I guess this is not coming back.

crownvic

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:59 am

chepos wrote:
crownvic wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

PHL still sees the Piedmont 145, as someone who worked at US I never heard of Cairo or any mideast destination other than TLV. People threw many rumors out there, employees do that (most of the time they are just a wish list of destinations). Istanbul was the favorite one for flight attendants, they would swear up and down that US was going to fly it from PHL. Most crew members or ground crew have little to ni insight on route planning.

No Sir...I don't post comments of what airline employees say. These were documented comments out of US financial reports that also discussed Tokyo. Prior to AA, US was working on connecting many more cities to PHL, but it all went out the window once the AA discussions become solid.

Bigant0408

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:28 pm

Nothing we do not already know but Simple Flying posted about the Connect Airline proving runs

https://simpleflying.com/connect-airlin ... ng-flight/

usairways85

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:12 pm

Roam Fitness To Open at Philadelphia International Airport
https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/a ... al-airport

This is a nice amenity add for the airport. The article mentions it will open near Terminal F. That seems like a rather odd placement, especially as AA is cutting regional flying in favor of mainline aircraft.

PHLspecial

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:00 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Roam Fitness To Open at Philadelphia International Airport
https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/a ... al-airport

This is a nice amenity add for the airport. The article mentions it will open near Terminal F. That seems like a rather odd placement, especially as AA is cutting regional flying in favor of mainline aircraft.

I'm surprised that B, C or D didn't have space. Though terminal A would have been the most logical. Well it's a very nice addition especially for those long layovers.

I can see lots of regional flying is going to be reduced in the future, well at least flights that are under 200 miles. 50 seaters will be reduced more in the future at least here.

PHL1013

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:14 am

Apparently NK is using Gate A14 in the international terminal for a flight to FLL

phljjs

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:49 pm

PHL1013 wrote:
Apparently NK is using Gate A14 in the international terminal for a flight to FLL

That's a regular occurrence. They are also using A2 for flight 2168 to OAK today. The plane(s) likely come in from Mexico and have to arrive in Terminal A to clear CBP. It's cheaper and easier for NK to just leave the plane at an A gate than it is to have it moved to an E gate for the next departure. Sucks for the outbound passengers though. Check-in and Security at one end of the airport, then they have to walk (or run) through 3 or 4 terminals to get to their departure gate.

PHLspecial

Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:07 pm

News have been slow at PHL, a small update about the cargo expansion.

One small thing to share that PHL is funding part of the wetlands for FDR park. This is to suppose to help offset some of the flooding concerns from the cargo expansion program. As a FDR park user I welcome the funding for this project and all the park improvements.
https://www.phl.org/newsroom/FDR-wetlands-update

https://myphillypark.org/what-we-do/cap ... /fdr-park/

aerace

Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:10 pm

aerace wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:

Today was first time I've seen ML on a BHM roundtrip, baby bus out mid morning , back late evening.

And looking the baby bus is back on PHLIND every evening now.

I am wondering if some of these cuts have rendered upgauges in aircraft, since some of these destinations may be new to A319s...

SAV - 8/16 to 11/2
BUF - 8/16 to 9/6
BGR - 8/5 to 10/5
BDL - 8/5 to 11/2
MYR - 8/5 to 11/2

More mainline adds:
JAX - 10/5 through end of schedule (not sure if this was served before or not)
BTV - some dates in October and November

aerace

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:32 pm

F9 finally starting PHL-PHX after it didn't launch in 2020. Starts daily on 11/5 with an 838pm departure with a red-eye return at 1am.

Bigant0408

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:51 pm

aerace wrote:
F9 finally starting PHL-PHX after it didn't launch in 2020. Starts daily on 11/5 with an 838pm departure with a red-eye return at 1am.

Personally I'm happy to see this as I have family in Arizona and American has been price gauging this route for the longest time. I remember there original schedule back in 2020 was a morning departure with an afternoon return. Hopefully this route sticks around for long time

aerace

Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:07 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Personally I'm happy to see this as I have family in Arizona and American has been price gauging this route for the longest time. I remember there original schedule back in 2020 was a morning departure with an afternoon return. Hopefully this route sticks around for long time

Since WN made it seasonal, I feel this route has been a gap in the PHL network for a while. Happy to see a competitor back on it. I thought NK would've jumped in too since the west coast seems to be working from PHL for them with LAS, LAX, and OAK.

Bigant0408

Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:16 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Since WN made it seasonal, I feel this route has been a gap in the PHL network for a while. Happy to see a competitor back on it. I thought NK would've jumped in too since the west coast seems to be working from PHL for them with LAS, LAX, and OAK.

I swear I haven't seen WN run this route for years even with it being marked as seasonal. I too thought NK would have started this route due to there west coast success. Glad F9 is bringing the route back

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos