Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2022

Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:44 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Update in regards to LH using Eurowings Discover aircraft for the winter season

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221009-ewnw22us

We will be getting Finnair aircraft

I need an excuse to fly to FRA now

Just Youtubed a video of the interior of this A359. Um, this seems to be a pretty sweet ride, especially up front.

Bigant0408

Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:57 pm

aerace wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Update in regards to LH using Eurowings Discover aircraft for the winter season

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221009-ewnw22us

We will be getting Finnair aircraft

I need an excuse to fly to FRA now

Just Youtubed a video of the interior of this A359. Um, this seems to be a pretty sweet ride, especially up front.

I got to check it out. I'll be curious what configuration of the 359 they'll be using

PHLspecial

Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:13 pm

Shout out to the person editing the Wikipedia page for PHL with the gate positions

aerace

Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:22 pm

Here we go again. More TATL rumblings this time for UA. Expecting routes out of EWR while we continue to hear crickets for PHL. AA has to give us something soon...

Bigant0408

Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:33 pm

aerace wrote:
Here we go again. More TATL rumblings this time for UA. Expecting routes out of EWR while we continue to hear crickets for PHL. AA has to give us something soon...

The 787 deliveries pretty much will play a factor for next year. I just think they will expand on much slower pace thank UA and DL. The 321XLRs can't come fast enough lol smh

PHLspecial

Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:10 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

The 787 deliveries pretty much will play a factor for next year. I just think they will expand on much slower pace thank UA and DL. The 321XLRs can't come fast enough lol smh

AA is suppose to receive 8 788 this winter? So I definitely see EDI and probably PRG starting next year.

Delta28L

Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:16 pm

Is there any good plane spotting locations that security won’t hassle you at PHL that are free and easy to access?

Zbogart757

Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:20 pm

Delta28L wrote:
Is there any good plane spotting locations that security won’t hassle you at PHL that are free and easy to access?

Hog Island Road is where most spotting happens, just make sure you park on non-airport side of the road.

crownvic

Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:09 am

Zbogart757 wrote:
Delta28L wrote:

Hog Island Road is where most spotting happens, just make sure you park on non-airport side of the road.

Make sure you stop by George's hot dog stand. He is usually right at the bend of Island Avenue and Enterprise Ave. His dad started coming here probably 30-40 years ago and now his son George has taken over the past 20 years. If you get hungry, they have everything you need (including Philly pretzels, Tastykakes, dogs, cheese steaks, YooHoo, etc.!)....

Breathe

Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:26 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

AA is suppose to receive 8 788 this winter? So I definitely see EDI and probably PRG starting next year.

It will be interesting to see if they restart next year with the 787 at EDI or wait until the 321XLRs come into service for S24.

PHLspecial

Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:59 am

Breathe wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

It will be interesting to see if they restart next year with the 787 at EDI or wait until the 321XLRs come into service for S24.

It's unlikely we will see the 321XLRs S24. Most likely S25. Certification won't be done until early 2024. Not enough time to onboard and train crews.

Bigant0408

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:25 pm

Lufthansa officially updated there reservation to reflect Eurowings Discover on the Finnair 359 as I did a dummy booking. I saw Finnair has 4 configurations of the 359 and the aircraft that is supposed to be used (based on seatguru) has a total of 336 seats which is more than the 279 total on the LH 340-300 currently being used.

usflyer msp

Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:55 pm

My friend just got appointed as the new PHL CEO. I'm so happy for him. PHL is in very good hands and should expect great things.

Bigant0408

Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:31 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
My friend just got appointed as the new PHL CEO. I'm so happy for him. PHL is in very good hands and should expect great things.

I heard about that today. Congrats to him. Hopefully I get to meet him in person while volunteering one day. Well deserved

PHLspecial

Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:56 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Congratulations to your friend! That's great to hear. I hope our airport do well in the future

B6SpiritofEWR

Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:17 am

F9 is eying TATL service!

aerace

Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:34 am

B6SpiritofEWR wrote:

Was this posted somewhere?

Bigant0408

Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:20 pm

aerace wrote:
B6SpiritofEWR wrote:

I read about it on Flight Global of possibly England and Ireland

https://www.flightglobal.com/fleets/fro ... 03.article

It's mentioned towards the end

aerace

Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:31 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
B6SpiritofEWR wrote:

ah ok. i was like where's this info because it's pretty big! i could see F9 potentially collaborating with easyjet and/or ryanair for onward connections into the continent as well.

Bigant0408

Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:19 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

ah ok. i was like where's this info because it's pretty big! i could see F9 potentially collaborating with easyjet and/or ryanair for onward connections into the continent as well.

Yea there could be other sources out there about it but that was the link I personally read about the possibilities. That would be awesome if TATL service was started by F9 and I could see them collaborating with one of those carries. It is interesting back in 2020 when F9 placed an order for the 321xlr they stated at the time they had no intentions of going TATL. Guess we shall see what happens going forward

PHLspecial

Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:51 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Yea there could be other sources out there about it but that was the link I personally read about the possibilities. That would be awesome if TATL service was started by F9 and I could see them collaborating with one of those carries. It is interesting back in 2020 when F9 placed an order for the 321xlr they stated at the time they had no intentions of going TATL. Guess we shall see what happens going forward

I'm getting far ahead of this but I'm curious what service is going to be like. I would imagine the service will be just basic economy and no meals. There partner would be WizzAir since it's part of Indigo Partners. Would be awesome if they worked out interlining so you don't have to worry about bags being transferred. Plus we have plenty of gates and space to work out at PHL.

aerace

Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:10 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

I'm getting far ahead of this but I'm curious what service is going to be like. I would imagine the service will be just basic economy and no meals. There partner would be WizzAir since it's part of Indigo Partners. Would be awesome if they worked out interlining so you don't have to worry about bags being transferred. Plus we have plenty of gates and space to work out at PHL.

Ah that makes total sense so WizzAir is hubbed at Luton, so I guess they would fly from PHL there. The onward opportunities aren't as great, but maybe that means that WizzAir might add more dots from LTN since I suspect they wouldn't want to fly PHL-BUD.

Bigant0408

Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:24 pm

Came across this more recent article about F9 transatlantic consideration

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... ideration/

2026 is long way away thought still will be interesting to see

PatrickZ80

Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:57 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

Slight problem is that Wizzair is a point-to-point airline, they don't even sell connections within their own network. Kind of like Allegiant in the US, they don't sell connections either. Of course you can self-connect but you don't need interline agreements for that, you can self-connect between any two airlines as long as they use the same airport. That being said, there's no reason why they can't sell each other's flights but I can't see any interlining agreement happening.

Bigant0408 wrote:

They seem to be hinting Shannon, which is a Ryanair base. Not their largest base but it opens up possibilities for self-connecting. If they can reach Shannon, then Dublin isn't out of the question and Dublin is one of the largest Ryanair bases with routes to all over Europe. Now we're talking.

I remember Norwegian was able to make US east coast routes work from Dublin. They also tried from other places in the UK and Ireland but were less successful with it, only Dublin was so successful that they even added a second daily flight. Perhaps the reason why Dublin was as successful as it was were the self-connecting opportunities, I bet a lot of those passengers only passed through Dublin. The other airports which they served had way less self-connecting opportunities. Unfortunately the grounding of the MAX put an end to these routes and they never returned afterwards.

If Norwegian could do it, then Frontier certainly can. With the A321XLR they're also not restricted to the British islands, they can reach mainland Europe as well. Cities like Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris are within reach. However given that they partner with Wizzair due to both of them being part of Indigo Partners, they could opt for Wizzair airports such as Eindhoven, Charleroi and Beauvais. They're more tailored to ULCCs and they allow Wizzair to pick up the self-transfer passengers.

Bigant0408

Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:07 pm

Uneventful news but figured I share. I was advised in the volunteer program I'm in for the airport that Frontier now has a customer service desk next to gate E9. I haven't seen it yet but I figured that's a good sign of Frontier is here to stay for the long haul

PHLspecial

Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:22 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Uneventful news but figured I share. I was advised in the volunteer program I'm in for the airport that Frontier now has a customer service desk next to gate E9. I haven't seen it yet but I figured that's a good sign of Frontier is here to stay for the long haul

Interesting that F9 would invest in customer service. Shot in the dark but they may have higher premium experience in the future. I agree Frontier is invested in PHL.

FlyingSicilian

Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:53 pm

Interesting on F9, I wonder if expansion at PHL would cannabilize TTN service or complent going forward.

Re the TATL service their was an a.net thread on it also and F9 is looking at deep SA service also per the rumours.

Spirit has poked at F9 a bit more on routes like IAH, DFW, and MSY. I suspect that will continue.

aerace

Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:34 pm

You know what's really interesting about PHL. It truly services so many different types of travelers from different walks of life. Someone who is an AA loyalist that does a boatload of business travel isn't necessarily going to fly F9 or NK, but there are loads of folks who don't care who they fly and just want the cheapest seat. As we all know, Philly is very much a price-conscious city, which leads me to believe there are enough travelers in the market that can sustain the growth in recent years from ULCCs and why TATL on F9 from PHL makes the most sense with a built-in clientele.

Bigant0408

Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:53 pm

https://www.connectairlines.com/newsroom

Connect Airlines has been quiet lately but here is there most recent update in regards to there certification status (click on the most recent article)

lowfareair

Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:25 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

2026 is long way away thought still will be interesting to see

One big thing F9 has going for it is they don't need the widebodies to pull this off, and they have enough route diversification that there are places outside of May-October where they can toss these aircraft. They probably will dip their toe into the TATL water at some point this decade, if only because the cost to them is so small, especially if they don't chase a premium product.

aerace

Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:09 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

Connect Airlines has been quiet lately but here is there most recent update in regards to there certification status (click on the most recent article)

Intriguing to see where else they wanna fly from PHL. I would presume with getting in bed with AA, we could see markets just too far outside operating the buses, like ISP, ELM, BWI, BGM, ERI, etc.

Bigant0408

Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:24 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Intriguing to see where else they wanna fly from PHL. I would presume with getting in bed with AA, we could see markets just too far outside operating the buses, like ISP, ELM, BWI, BGM, ERI, etc.

Yea I know in passing they originally talked about PHL to BOS but I know I saw last month they were flying to and from JAX a few times. Not sure if it was part of their proving runs or something else. I'm hopeful all goes well as I'm ready to hear an official announcement overall for them starting service

flyjoe

Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:48 am

Bigant0408 wrote:

I hope they're not basing their future PHL strategy on this line in the PR, "We know that there are a lot of regional jets flying out of Philadelphia, and given that our carbon footprint is 40% less with the Q400s than a 56-seater regional jet, we think there will be some good opportunities out of Philadelphia."

Consumer's aren't going to choose Connect over the mighty frequent flyer program because they have a lower carbon footprint.

Bigant0408

Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:51 am

flyjoe wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I hope they're not basing their future PHL strategy on this line in the PR, "We know that there are a lot of regional jets flying out of Philadelphia, and given that our carbon footprint is 40% less with the Q400s than a 56-seater regional jet, we think there will be some good opportunities out of Philadelphia."

Consumer's aren't going to choose Connect over the mighty frequent flyer program because they have a lower carbon footprint.

If it's still in the works they should have an interline agreement with AA in the works. Not sure if that would play a role in regards to where they would start service or not

aerace

Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:20 pm

Article dropped about F9 TATL expansion with a mention of PHL. Could see them filling that late evening bank of 9-11pm when most AA flights are 5-8pm..

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier- ... AE4744363C

usflyer msp

Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:05 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

I'm curious as the where they expect to get pilots from.

Bigant0408

Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:53 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I'm curious as the where they expect to get pilots from.

I follow them on Linkedin and I see they have hired a few thus far.

PHLspecial

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:08 pm

Slow news day, but the Qatar switched back to the A359 (I thought they still grounded them for "safety" reasons)
Eurowings operates it's first flight today with the Finnair A359. I might try to grab some photos today.

aerace

Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:45 pm

So here's a catch. For some reason, I thought F9 was off SAV and MYR but both are back Feb (3x) and March (1x) respectively to the end of the April schedule. Made no sense to me why these were deemed cuts if they were seasonals to begin with.

BangersAndMash

Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:17 pm

Contour could be adding another EAS market with MSS. Incumbent Boutique has filed a termination notice and bidding is underway.

They're offering 12x weekly, either all to PHL, or up to 6x weekly to BWI and the remainder to PHL, down to community preference.

All the other bidders are prop operators so there's a good chance they'll win.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2012-0163-0081

aerace

Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:17 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
Contour could be adding another EAS market with MSS. Incumbent Boutique has filed a termination notice and bidding is underway.

They're offering 12x weekly, either all to PHL, or up to 6x weekly to BWI and the remainder to PHL, down to community preference.

Great to see continued momentum at PHL with Contour. Between these guys and Connect, there will be a nice little regional network getting rebuilt for the AA loyalists to hop over to smaller towns (and vice versa).

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:10 pm

aerace wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Great to see continued momentum at PHL with Contour. Between these guys and Connect, there will be a nice little regional network getting rebuilt for the AA loyalists to hop over to smaller towns (and vice versa).

I agree with the Contour momentum. Hopefully they win the bid

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:11 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Slow news day, but the Qatar switched back to the A359 (I thought they still grounded them for "safety" reasons)
Eurowings operates it's first flight today with the Finnair A359. I might try to grab some photos today.

Any luck getting pics?

PHLspecial

Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:23 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Any luck getting pics?

Unfortunately work got in the way. Hopefully when it returns later in the week I can grab them.

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:13 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Any luck getting pics?

Unfortunately work got in the way. Hopefully when it returns later in the week I can grab them.

Got ya. Hope so to

Tesla

Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:15 pm

I was unexpectedly on the first EW Discover flight FRA-PHL operated by Finnair A350-900 on 31 Oct 2022, when my planned Lufthansa A340-300 flight was cancelled and replaced by EW Discover. The operating aircraft was OH-LWG. It was quite a nice flight and I am working on a trip report!

Boarding out of Gate C18 in FRA:

On approach to PHL:

We landed at 17:03. We had departed FRA 49 minutes behind schedule, but parked at Gate A17 only 12 minutes behind schedule, at 17:12. Parked beside Qatar A350-900 A7-ALY.

Bigant0408

Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:42 pm

Tesla wrote:
I was unexpectedly on the first EW Discover flight FRA-PHL operated by Finnair A350-900 on 31 Oct 2022, when my planned Lufthansa A340-300 flight was cancelled and replaced by EW Discover. The operating aircraft was OH-LWG. It was quite a nice flight and I am working on a trip report!

On approach to PHL:

We landed at 17:03. We had departed FRA 49 minutes behind schedule, but parked at Gate A17 only 12 minutes behind schedule, at 17:12. Parked beside Qatar A350-900 A7-ALY.

Thank you so much for sharing these pics. I hope you had an exciting flight. I'm curious about what the load factors looked like for your flight.

PHLspecial

Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:34 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Tesla wrote:

On approach to PHL:

Thank you so much for sharing these pics. I hope you had an exciting flight. I'm curious about what the load factors looked like for your flight.

Plus looks like some good cargo in the belly of the plane

aerace

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:28 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Tesla wrote:

On approach to PHL:

Plus looks like some good cargo in the belly of the plane

Saw this taxiing the other night when I flew in from PIT. Gotta say, it's pretty cool to see a Finnair A359 in the mix on the runway.

Bigant0408

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:05 pm

From today 11/7/2022 Ailevon Pacific post I see that Spirit airlines have removed the following routes from all future schedules
BQN
RSW
TPA

OAK service will be cancelled Jan-April

The good news out of all of this is that ATL will go up to 2x from Jan-April

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos