Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usairways85

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2022

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:31 pm

No surprise with BQN...it hasn't operated in months. RSW and TPA are bit of a surprise.

It is so annoying for MCO to be the only airport with a good deal of options. Even PHL-PBI is 2x at the holidays with a 8am/6pm departures which don't work for me so MCO it was....also since AA hasn't brought back the PHL-MLB flight.

PHLspecial

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:53 pm

With Brightline opening the Orlando station soon I can see Melbourne station being purposed soon. I feel like it would be much cheaper to fly into MCO and eventually connect to Brightline then to MLB, PBI etc... Depending on the season and current airfares.

aerace

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:57 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
From today 11/7/2022 Ailevon Pacific post I see that Spirit airlines have removed the following routes from all future schedules
BQN
RSW
TPA

OAK service will be cancelled Jan-April

The good news out of all of this is that ATL will go up to 2x from Jan-April

If memory serves me right weren't the above always seasonals? I would presume with the Ian impacts that demand has dropped somewhat for that area for the time being as they get back on their feet.

Bigant0408

Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:38 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
From today 11/7/2022 Ailevon Pacific post I see that Spirit airlines have removed the following routes from all future schedules
BQN
RSW
TPA

If memory serves me right weren't the above always seasonals? I would presume with the Ian impacts that demand has dropped somewhat for that area for the time being as they get back on their feet.

TPA and RSW were indeed always seasonal. BQN originally wasn't but then they made it season as I did dummy bookings a few days ago and were going to bring back that route next year

PHLspecial

Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:35 pm

Philadelphia will be creating a department of aviation from the ballet measure passing last night. This will supposedly give the airports more control on budgeting, staffing, and more direct say in hearings.

https://billypenn.com/2022/11/08/philad ... -aviation/

BangersAndMash

Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:47 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
BQN
RSW
TPA

MSY seems to be gone as well.

Aeroroutes gives PUJ as gone for good too. It is still in the GDS, but just for a couple of weeks in January as of today.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221109-nknw22cxld

Bigant0408

Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:57 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
BQN
RSW
TPA

Aeroroutes gives PUJ as gone for good too. It is still in the GDS, but just for a couple of weeks in January as of today.

Yea I saw the other day. I'm sure between demand and competition didn't help as some of those routes were seasonal and/or new

BangersAndMash

Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:12 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
BQN
RSW
TPA

Yea I saw the other day. I'm sure between demand and competition didn't help as some of those routes were seasonal and/or new

Couldn't help noticing Philly and MIA saw some of the biggest cuts. They probably thought they were gonna pull a Southwest, circa 2008, waltz into legacy hubs and have a party. But this ain't 2008, it's 2022.

aerace

Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:28 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Couldn't help noticing Philly and MIA saw some of the biggest cuts. They probably thought they were gonna pull a Southwest, circa 2008, waltz into legacy hubs and have a party. But this ain't 2008, it's 2022.

Well the inroads that F9 has made at PHL and MIA kinda buck this thought process. Side note, PUJ and MBJ are still bookable in parts of January and February in 2023.

PHLspecial

Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:40 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I thought F9 and NK are reducing service because of staffing shortages. It seemed like both carriers had good foothold in PHL.

BangersAndMash

Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:54 am

aerace wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Well the inroads that F9 has made at PHL and MIA kinda buck this thought process. Side note, PUJ and MBJ are still bookable in parts of January and February in 2023.

Not really. Still early days. This is F9 we're talking about. Let's revisit in 3 months time. ;)

BangersAndMash

Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:05 am

PHLspecial wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I thought F9 and NK are reducing service because of staffing shortages. It seemed like both carriers had good foothold in PHL.

They do, although NK a little less now after these cuts. NK's latest financials weren't exactly stellar so can't help thinking staff shortages are a convenient excuse.

F9 has more destinations, but it tends to run less frequencies, so it looks more impressive on paper than in reality. Not exactly apples to apples either when comparing with NK.

Looks to me they thought AA was an easy prey and it turns out there's still some life in the old dog.

aerace

Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:47 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Speaking to the above shortages, pulled from The Points Guy article:
"...these adjustments aren't necessarily permanent. The airline expects to reenter most, if not all, of these routes in the coming months, as confirmed by a carrier spokesperson."

usairways85

Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:11 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

They do, although NK a little less now after these cuts. NK's latest financials weren't exactly stellar so can't help thinking staff shortages are a convenient excuse.

F9 has more destinations, but it tends to run less frequencies, so it looks more impressive on paper than in reality. Not exactly apples to apples either when comparing with NK.

Looks to me they thought AA was an easy prey and it turns out there's still some life in the old dog.

F9 does lean towards less than daily flights. But they also have a decent number of daily/multi-daily destinations from PHL (ATL, TPA, MCO, DEN, CLT, SJU)

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:32 pm

From the Eastern Airlines Thread, it's posted from the flight tracking website of them flying one of there boeing 772 from KCI as it landed 2hrs late to PHL. It possible a proving run but not entirely sure.

PHLspecial

Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
From the Eastern Airlines Thread, it's posted from the flight tracking website of them flying one of there boeing 772 from KCI as it landed 2hrs late to PHL. It possible a proving run but not entirely sure.

After reading some comments from an Eastern Airlines article, how is this airline even functional

Bigant0408

Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:35 am

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

After reading some comments from an Eastern Airlines article, how is this airline even functional

My thoughts exactly and to think I thought about apply for a position with them. There sign is still up outside of Terminal A-East but the terminal signage was removed. Obviously see what happen if anything

Bigant0408

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:35 pm

Awesome News. The airport will be getting a Chase Sapphire Lounge

https://phl.org/newsroom/phl-chase-sapphire-lounge

aerace

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:17 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

Been praying for this to happen. Super excited that PHL will finally have a lounge that's not airline or Amex.

Bigant0408

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:46 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Been praying for this to happen. Super excited that PHL will finally have a lounge that's not airline or Amex.

I'm not going to lie I had no faith of any new lounges being added in the near future. Glad I was wrong. I'll be curious as to what stores if any will be occupied. D/E connect is pretty filled with stores to knowledge

PHLspecial

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:55 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I'm not going to lie I had no faith of any new lounges being added in the near future. Glad I was wrong. I'll be curious as to what stores if any will be occupied. D/E connect is pretty filled with stores to knowledge

TIL that Chase has a lounge. I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Probably need to upgrade to the Reserve card to get in. This is fantastic news. I'm hoping the space is the same size or bigger than the Amex lounge.

aerace

Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:12 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

TIL that Chase has a lounge. I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Probably need to upgrade to the Reserve card to get in. This is fantastic news. I'm hoping the space is the same size or bigger than the Amex lounge.

After a basic search from what I found, this one at 20K sf looks to be the largest by 8K (next is BOS at 12K). I wonder if it's going to take over the space that sits over top the connector food and shops? I don't often fly through D-E as an AA elite, but I noticed there's an elevator/escalator behind the Dunkin...wonder if it's going to be up there?

aerace

Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:13 am

In the recent schedule update, AA is sending the 788 3x daily to LAX and 2x daily to PHX and LAS through til March. Major seat increase on these routes since frequency remains static.

usflyer msp

Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:33 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

All the concessions in the D/E connector put together is probably not 20K sq ft so I'm guessing it is going in some former office space above the D/E connector.

usairways85

Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:14 pm

aerace wrote:
In the recent schedule update, AA is sending the 788 3x daily to LAX and 2x daily to PHX and LAS through til March. Major seat increase on these routes since frequency remains static.

Great to see.

PHL-LAX loses a flight 6>5x. I don't see the 2nd PHX 788 until Feb. It looks like the recently delivered 788 are entering the schedule. I believe Dec was always the target.

Awesome about the Chase lounge. I always thought that the 3rd floor of the D/E connector would be a good spot for a lounge. It is a distance from the international flights and A/B AA flights but gives PHL AMEX/Chase lounges on different ends of the airport.

I would prefer to see a specific opening date just given how much of an issue lounge construction/renovation has been at PHL (something that would give everyone a deadline). It seems like this could be a ways off...S23 or W23.

aerace

Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:30 pm

usairways85 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Great to see.

PHL-LAX loses a flight 6>5x. I don't see the 2nd PHX 788 until Feb. It looks like the recently delivered 788 are entering the schedule. I believe Dec was always the target.

Awesome about the Chase lounge. I always thought that the 3rd floor of the D/E connector would be a good spot for a lounge. It is a distance from the international flights and A/B AA flights but gives PHL AMEX/Chase lounges on different ends of the airport.

I would prefer to see a specific opening date just given how much of an issue lounge construction/renovation has been at PHL (something that would give everyone a deadline). It seems like this could be a ways off...S23 or W23.

Ah ok, I was looking personally for 2/10 which shows the 6 flights. Yeah this the from the most recent extension which covered mid-Feb through March.

PHLspecial

Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:01 pm

usairways85 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Great to see.

Speaking of lounges, did American ever open the Flagship business lounge?

Hopefully the Chase lounge is built because in this area there are quite a few Chase card users. Me included.

Hopefully all the 787s will have the update business class for those AA elites.

Bigant0408

Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:56 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Great to see.

Hopefully the Chase lounge is built because in this area there are quite a few Chase card users. Me included.

Flag Ship Lounge is still under construction. AA just recently reopen the Admiral lounge in Terminal A-East

usflyer msp

Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:22 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
Great to see.

Flag Ship Lounge is still under construction. AA just recently reopen the Admiral lounge in Terminal A-East

AA really needs to get Flagship lounge done ASAP. They should have used the downtime during the pandemic to accelerate it.
PHL's crappy lounges are the #1 reason I try to avoid it on long haul flights.

Bigant0408

Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:35 pm

My brother flew in from Phoenix a couple days ago on Frontier nonstop. He mentioned the seats were a tight fit but was a full flight. The flight did arrive on time. I know a full flight doesn't determine profitability, but it was nice to know that it was full. If F9 continues to serve this route I hope they will provide a better schedule. None the less glad they brought competition on the route

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:34 pm

This has been mentioned in the Denver and Raleigh Thread from what I saw but Mexican airport Morelia International Airport MLM wish list is to start services to a few US cities including Philadelphia. I highly doubt this will happen but to play with the idea Volaris does serve the airport and they have a codeshare with Frontier.

GerRodriguez

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:22 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
This has been mentioned in the Denver and Raleigh Thread from what I saw but Mexican airport Morelia International Airport MLM wish list is to start services to a few US cities including Philadelphia. I highly doubt this will happen but to play with the idea Volaris does serve the airport and they have a codeshare with Frontier.

from that list, 3 routes are already assigned to VOLARIS, from/to MLM to Sacramento, Portland and Seattle, just waiting for the approval of the FAA

Bigant0408

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:47 pm

GerRodriguez wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

from that list, 3 routes are already assigned to VOLARIS, from/to MLM to Sacramento, Portland and Seattle, just waiting for the approval of the FAA

Well In general that is good to know

Zbogart757

Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:01 pm

Looks like AA will have some more domestic widebody flying in January. LAX, DFW, PHX and LAS. All B788.

https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/sched ... le2023.pdf

aerace

Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:57 pm

Eurowings Discover will be sticking around for the forseeable future with an extension through S23...

https://newsroom.eurowings-discover.com ... er-3222233

PHLspecial

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:07 pm

aerace wrote:
Eurowings Discover will be sticking around for the forseeable future with an extension through S23...

Does that mean Lufthansa is not coming back? Probably an upgrade over what we have been getting. Would be awesome if they kept the A350

aerace

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:13 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:

Does that mean Lufthansa is not coming back? Probably an upgrade over what we have been getting. Would be awesome if they kept the A350

I can imagine they will continue to send their wet leased Finnair A350s, but no mention in the release above on aircraft. I guess LH isn't seeing the premium traffic it had pre-pandemic to warrant sending their planes?

PHLspecial

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:18 pm

aerace wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:

I can imagine they will continue to send their wet leased Finnair A350s, but no mention in the release above on aircraft. I guess LH isn't seeing the premium traffic it had pre-pandemic to warrant sending their planes?

Hasn't LH been criticized for offering poor service? Regardless I would like to fly when I visit Europe soon but the fares out of PHL is expensive...

Bigant0408

Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:22 pm

Zbogart757 wrote:
Looks like AA will have some more domestic widebody flying in January. LAX, DFW, PHX and LAS. All B788.

https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/sched ... le2023.pdf

Thats good to see. I'm a bit surprised the aren't flying to San Francisco on a widebody but I guess traffic isn't enough to warrant it

Bigant0408

Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Hasn't LH been criticized for offering poor service? Regardless I would like to fly when I visit Europe soon but the fares out of PHL is expensive...

I wonder how long their wet-lease is for with Finnair? Also, I agree fares are normally high flying to Europe at least for non stop. Aer Lingus I believe has the best fares with a layover

aerace

Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:31 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:

I wonder how long their wet-lease is for with Finnair? Also, I agree fares are normally high flying to Europe at least for non stop. Aer Lingus I believe has the best fares with a layover

Seems like it's going to be operated by a Eurowings A333 so sadly losing the flashy Finnair A350.

PHLspecial

Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:21 pm

Since a user mentioned in the AA thread that AA is not planning for a expansion for a bit at least until the XLRs come. What's next for PHL?

Bigant0408

Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:46 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Seems like it's going to be operated by a Eurowings A333 so sadly losing the flashy Finnair A350.

Confirmed on Aeroroutes

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221210-4yns23mcophl

I'll be at the airport tomorrow so I'm going to try and see the Finnair plane as long as it's not delayed

Bigant0408

Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:53 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Since a user mentioned in the AA thread that AA is not planning for a expansion for a bit at least until the XLRs come. What's next for PHL?

IMO PHL has been slow especially on the airline front. Seems like every other airport big or small has received more attention for the most part. Only thing I can think of is Connect Airlines whenever they are supposed to start. Eastern Airlines ran a proving run flight to PHL with there 772 a few weeks ago but I'm not holding my breath on them. Other than that hard to say outside of getting the Chase lounge. On the French Bee thread someone mentioned the CEO mention PHL as possible new destination but I highly doubt that would every happen. Also possibly Arajet within the next 2-3 years

aerace

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:32 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

IMO PHL has been slow especially on the airline front. Seems like every other airport big or small has received more attention for the most part. Only thing I can think of is Connect Airlines whenever they are supposed to start. Eastern Airlines ran a proving run flight to PHL with there 772 a few weeks ago but I'm not holding my breath on them. Other than that hard to say outside of getting the Chase lounge. On the French Bee thread someone mentioned the CEO mention PHL as possible new destination but I highly doubt that would every happen. Also possibly Arajet within the next 2-3 years

I actually was down FDR today and saw Connect doing circles overhead. Shame it’s taking so long to get them going. I don’t know what it is, but I feel like PHL is scarred: too big to get the new startups like
Avelo and Breeze and too small/close to NYC to land the major international carriers. Rumors of IB, EK and TK never materialized. When we do land new carriers like Connect and Eastern, things don’t go according to plan. It just feels very appropriately Philly.

aerace

Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:00 am

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

I actually was down FDR today and saw Connect doing circles overhead. Shame it’s taking so long to get them going. I don’t know what it is, but I feel like PHL is scarred: too big to get the new startups like
Avelo and Breeze and too small/close to NYC to land the major international carriers. Rumors of IB, EK and TK never materialized. When we do land new carriers like Connect and Eastern, things don’t go according to plan. It just feels very appropriately Philly.

Oh and completely forgot to mention how we lost international carriers like FI, LH (on their flag), AF, etc over the last several years so there’s that salt in the wound.

PHLspecial

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:19 pm

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221211-aans23inc

PHL-ATH
Will start Jun 1st instead of May 1st, ouch

PHL-LIS
789 replace 788

PHL-FCO
789 replace 788

PHLspecial

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:24 pm

aerace wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Oh and completely forgot to mention how we lost international carriers like FI, LH (on their flag), AF, etc over the last several years so there’s that salt in the wound.

It's very disappointing that PHL made such a big deal about having incentives to start service at PHL and no airline has taken up that offer.
Philadelphia is not that known internationally, one would think. I'm not sure what else Philly needs to do to attract more service. The NY airports just keep adding gates removing us the ability to complete. BOS a smaller but wealthier city has double or triple the international market we have.

aerace

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:34 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:
aerace wrote:

It's very disappointing that PHL made such a big deal about having incentives to start service at PHL and no airline has taken up that offer.
Philadelphia is not that known internationally, one would think. I'm not sure what else Philly needs to do to attract more service. The NY airports just keep adding gates removing us the ability to complete. BOS a smaller but wealthier city has double or triple the international market we have.

And it doesn't help that stronghold AA has been decreasing frequencies and destinations out of PHL while we also saw NK, F9, WN, and B6 all take a hack to PHL. It's just a lame situation right now that I am not sure when/if it will ever recover.

B6SpiritofEWR

Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:15 pm

AA bumping PHL-LIS/FCO up to the 787-9 which is a good sign for next summer. I gotta think once the XLRS come in LIS will be year round.

Reading through the thread a lil bit and everyone seems to be wanting to point fingers as to why PHL is so underserved. One main part that I think is definitely overlooked is how awful the infrastructure is. Terminals B and C are literally quite comparable to shoe boxes. How is AA supposed to run a full hub when the space isn’t there?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos