Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:54 am

Welcome to the Philadelphia Aviation Thread 2022. Please continue to post your news and your discussion below.

Link to previous thread:

Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2021

Bigant0408

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:24 pm

Happy New Year everyone. Hopefully 2022 will be a better year for PHL overall. Here are my predictions:

AA- Very few route announcements mainly domestic
DL- Nothing major except maybe some route increase in capacity
UA- Outside of the swap from IAD to EWR nothing else major
F9- More route announcements possibly to PHX and LAX
NK- Possibly one or two more route announcements
SY- Stagnant
El- Will actually resume flights this year
BA and QR- Will continue to provide daily service with the current aircraft they using
AC- Stagnant
B6- Stagnant as I don't see them doing much at all
LH- Will probably still stick to the 5 daily flights for the rest of the year
AS- Stagnant

New Airlines:

Finally get confirmation that Connect Airlines will start service to Toronto

PHLspecial

Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Happy New Year everyone. Hopefully 2022 will be a better year for PHL overall. Here are my predictions:

SY- Stagnant
BA and QR- Will continue to provide daily service with the current aircraft they using
AC- Stagnant
AS- Stagnant

New Airlines:

Happy New Years!

Love see a new airline start in PHL. Hopefully it will connect more to Canadian cities like Quebec and Halifax.

One thing I would love to see this year is F9 or NK push for 30 departures per day. Shame that B6 can't keep MCO and SJU year round.

Outside chance that TK will launch a flight? If so would be nice for a *A lounge.

The only area for growth I see is the cargo airlines as they try to get building hopefully by 2023. Would love to see more cargo airlines serve here, big bonus if we score an Asian cargo airline.

PHLspecial

Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:35 pm

Also dumb question but is PHL suppose to get a new TRACON facility?

jplatts

Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:53 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

AS- Stagnant

I had previously mentioned the possibility of AA or AS adding PHL-PDX nonstop service with the lack of PHL-PDX nonstop service being one of the biggest holes in both markets.

AA/AS would have AA's FF base in the Northeastern U.S. and AS's FF base in the Pacific Northwest to support PHL-PDX nonstop service on AA or AS.

There would also be some connecting opportunities to other destinations in the Northeast, Eastern Canada, and Europe from PDX through PHL if PHL-PDX nonstop service is added by either AA or AS.

aerace

Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:27 pm

Yeah this year I would presume is going to be flat. Next year is going to be the real one for PHL to be excited for with XLR deliveries to commence. I am just happy to see that (barring any more crazy variants) PHL is getting back to being more active across the pond. I just wish AA would be more competitive on pricing. People definitely drive up the turnpike to EWR for cheaper TATL (and will now be able to fly again on UA) so it would be nice to see AA adjust pricing for the tristate folks here to take advantage. EI will at least keep DUB pricing in check.

Bigant0408

Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:10 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

SY- Stagnant
AC- Stagnant
AS- Stagnant

New Airlines:

Happy New Years!

Love see a new airline start in PHL. Hopefully it will connect more to Canadian cities like Quebec and Halifax.

One thing I would love to see this year is F9 or NK push for 30 departures per day. Shame that B6 can't keep MCO and SJU year round.

Outside chance that TK will launch a flight? If so would be nice for a *A lounge.

The only area for growth I see is the cargo airlines as they try to get building hopefully by 2023. Would love to see more cargo airlines serve here, big bonus if we score an Asian cargo airline.

Based on Connect Airlines portfolio they are more focused on connecting passengers in PHL and ORD when they first start service so I doubt they'd expand to other Canadian cities at least for now. As for TK I doubt anything will be announce as they haven't even started or announce dates for Denver and Detroit yet.

Bigant0408

Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:11 pm

jplatts wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

AS- Stagnant

I had previously mentioned the possibility of AA or AS adding PHL-PDX nonstop service with the lack of PHL-PDX nonstop service being one of the biggest holes in both markets.

AA/AS would have AA's FF base in the Northeastern U.S. and AS's FF base in the Pacific Northwest to support PHL-PDX nonstop service on AA or AS.

There would also be some connecting opportunities to other destinations in the Northeast, Eastern Canada, and Europe from PDX through PHL if PHL-PDX nonstop service is added by either AA or AS.

Yea I agree it would make sense to bring the route back especially for connectivity

Bigant0408

Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:15 pm

aerace wrote:
Yeah this year I would presume is going to be flat. Next year is going to be the real one for PHL to be excited for with XLR deliveries to commence. I am just happy to see that (barring any more crazy variants) PHL is getting back to being more active across the pond. I just wish AA would be more competitive on pricing. People definitely drive up the turnpike to EWR for cheaper TATL (and will now be able to fly again on UA) so it would be nice to see AA adjust pricing for the tristate folks here to take advantage. EI will at least keep DUB pricing in check.

I was one of those people back in November drove up to EWR to fly to MCO cause pricing was much cheaper from the time of booking. I just think PHL needs more competition overall on TATL travel that's not OneWorld related but right now it's a pipe dream as all we have is LH basically

PHLspecial

Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:45 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

I was one of those people back in November drove up to EWR to fly to MCO cause pricing was much cheaper from the time of booking. I just think PHL needs more competition overall on TATL travel that's not OneWorld related but right now it's a pipe dream as all we have is LH basically

The best chance is AF giving the best connections besides LHR. KLM would be a pipe dream. TAP or Swiss would neat. Though that has not worked out in the past. Even with the XLR I don't think the pricing will be cheaper than EWR. We need more competition.

aerace

Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:40 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

The best chance is AF giving the best connections besides LHR. KLM would be a pipe dream. TAP or Swiss would neat. Though that has not worked out in the past. Even with the XLR I don't think the pricing will be cheaper than EWR. We need more competition.

Would love to see FI slide back in before AA comes back to launching that market (if they actually do). Loads of connection opps out of KEF which would could steal some traffic from OW. If CMN ever happens I would hope that RAM might step in and take over that route.

But yeah, slim pickings expected. Maybe more NK expansion? AS to PDX/SAN? Southern Airways Express to closer PA destinations? Nothing mind-blowing to say the least..

PITFlyer330

Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:31 pm

aerace wrote:

won’t XLR routes be announced late this year then?

Maybe KEF HEL SNN EDI BLQ DBV BUD PRG WAW OSL ARN NCE BHX MAN NAP PMO

usairways85

Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:28 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Which is crazy...one would think that of all routes PHL-MCO is one that you'd find competitive pricing given the 4 airlines (and two ULCC) on the route. But anecdotally those ULCC fares can be in line with legacies.

phllax

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:32 am

I would love to see either UA or DL bring back LAX or even better if B6 would start it!

PHLspecial

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:34 am

phllax wrote:
I would love to see either UA or DL bring back LAX or even better if B6 would start it!

Me too. UA would be the most realistic. B6 doesn't have enough aircraft. DL everything goes through ATL.

AC4500

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:03 pm

aerace wrote:
But yeah, slim pickings expected. Maybe more NK expansion? AS to PDX/SAN? Southern Airways Express to closer PA destinations? Nothing mind-blowing to say the least..

With AS now in one-world, it surprises me that neither AA nor AS could make PDX-PHL work...

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:10 pm

For those who are local to PHL, the airport has a volunteer program they I've been with for the last two month and I enjoy it thus far. I was able to watch passengers depart a QR flight one time and I believe the flight was full as tons of people departed the plane. The program is more about helping/assisting passengers but there are other benefits as well including free parking at the employee parking lot for personal travel.

PHLspecial

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:22 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
For those who are local to PHL, the airport has a volunteer program they I've been with for the last two month and I enjoy it thus far. I was able to watch passengers depart a QR flight one time and I believe the flight was full as tons of people departed the plane. The program is more about helping/assisting passengers but there are other benefits as well including free parking at the employee parking lot for personal travel.

Totally would do it if they gave me free Septa rides. I'm surprised that is not a paid job.

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:39 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Totally would do it if they gave me free Septa rides. I'm surprised that is not a paid job.

Yea septa rides are not free but discounted prices for septa are offered.

aerace

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:27 pm

phllax wrote:

Right?! It’s bananas that PHL had so many legacy carriers on LAX and now all it has is AA (and NK which good luck to those making that 6 hour flight). B6 should be on that route and would love to see it with Mint.

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:46 pm

aerace wrote:
phllax wrote:

Right?! It’s bananas that PHL had so many legacy carriers on LAX and now all it has is AA (and NK which good luck to those making that 6 hour flight). B6 should be on that route and would love to see it with Mint.

I remember F9 was going to start that route I believe last year or 2020 before covid hit but now they don't fly to LAX overall. Yea B6 would be awesome but seems unlikely (hope I'm wrong). I believe I remember hearing when AS left that route was partly because they were competing against AA (pre Oneworld) for premium traffic and NK offering dirt cheap prices. In general hope another airline gives it a shot

PHLspecial

Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:52 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
aerace wrote:

won’t XLR routes be announced late this year then?

Maybe KEF HEL SNN EDI BLQ DBV BUD PRG WAW OSL ARN NCE BHX MAN NAP PMO

I'm going to lean towards 2024. Only because we haven't seen a test flight for the XLR yet. I would think AA would go for the CFM leap-1A engines for commonality and not get the upgraded PW package. Even so we have no idea how long the certification will take plus potential delays.

PHLspecial

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:45 pm

Will PHL ever see a carrier fly to Asia?

Besides QR.

Bigant0408

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:12 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

Besides QR.

IMO I can only see Japan Airlines starting service but no time soon.

usairways85

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:18 pm

US to Asia seems unpredictable at best for a few years. I do not anticipate anything soon.

PHLspecial

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Besides QR.

IMO I can only see Japan Airlines starting service but no time soon.

Yeah COVID I think as lowered our chances even further. Hopefully I'm wrong

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:14 pm

B6 will be ending service to San Juan as part of a 17 route cut

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-b ... oute-cuts/

IMO I though this route would survive but obliviously the aircraft is needed elsewhere

aerace

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:05 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

IMO I though this route would survive but obliviously the aircraft is needed elsewhere

They should have gotten on this route years ago. Since then, F9 and NK not only came aboard, but now are both double daily. AA has shrunk since they used to throw AA330s on that route, but B6 came in too late to the party. Kinda not surprising so now B6 is back to just FLL and BOS.

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:28 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

They should have gotten on this route years ago. Since then, F9 and NK not only came aboard, but now are both double daily. AA has shrunk since they used to throw AA330s on that route, but B6 came in too late to the party. Kinda not surprising so now B6 is back to just FLL and BOS.

I thought the same thing as well. So with them now back to just two routes I'm curious as to how scheduling will go because I believe they use two gates in terminal E and with there current schedule they fly 4 times out of the day. Would it makes sense to just give up one gate to use just the one at this rate (They use gate E4 the entire day)?

PHLspecial

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:52 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I thought the same thing as well. So with them now back to just two routes I'm curious as to how scheduling will go because I believe they use two gates in terminal E and with there current schedule they fly 4 times out of the day. Would it makes sense to just give up one gate to use just the one at this rate (They use gate E4 the entire day)?

Currently I believe the E gates is not maxed out so they wouldn't have to give up one gate. If they were going to, would make sense for them to move to terminal D and have gate D1 and D3. That way F9 and NK would have their sides of the terminal.

Anyways I thought that SJU, MCO would have made it through. Shame that B6 is so small here. I thought it would complete better since it's branding was a bit more premium than AA on narrowbodies.

phllax

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:06 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
aerace wrote:

Currently I believe the E gates is not maxed out so they wouldn't have to give up one gate. If they were going to, would make sense for them to move to terminal D and have gate D1 and D3. That way F9 and NK would have their sides of the terminal.

Anyways I thought that SJU, MCO would have made it through. Shame that B6 is so small here. I thought it would complete better since it's branding was a bit more premium than AA on narrowbodies.

I think E is all CUTE, so it doesn't matter.

As for SJU, maybe if they stopped tinkering with the flight times it would have done better. First it was daylight, then a red-eye, then late night. It seems like they couldn't figure out who they were gearing the flight to!

usairways85

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:08 pm

Unfortunate but as mentioned I think B6 was late to the game on both MCO and SJU. Their priority currently is NYC/BOS and as a result do not have the resources to throw elbows around against 4 and 3 competitors respectively on PHL-MCO/SJU

PHLspecial

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 am

phllax wrote:
I think E is all CUTE, so it doesn't matter.

As for SJU, maybe if they stopped tinkering with the flight times it would have done better. First it was daylight, then a red-eye, then late night. It seems like they couldn't figure out who they were gearing the flight to!

I agree I like terminal E way more than terminal D. Terminal D might be the oldest building in the whole airport.

phljjs

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 pm

LH notified PHL stakeholders this week that they will be pausing PHL service again after LH427 departs on Saturday due to the pandemic. Service resumption is scheduled for March 28th with 5 flights weekly. I think Wednesday and Friday were the days without service.

PHLspecial

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:55 am

Not surprising LH will pause service. Hopefully this route will remain stable!

Does anyone know why TUI continues to fly cargo here?

usairways85

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:34 am

QR looks like they fly the 35K a few times a week this month. No idea if that is simply based on aircraft availability

PHLspecial

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:22 am

usairways85 wrote:
QR looks like they fly the 35K a few times a week this month. No idea if that is simply based on aircraft availability

It seems like it, it goes back and fourth between the A359 and A35K.

Bigant0408

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 pm

usairways85 wrote:

Nice. I see 35K will be here on Sunday when I'm volunteering at PHL so I'll it an effort to check it out.

PHLspecial

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

Nice. I see 35K will be here on Sunday when I'm volunteering at PHL so I'll it an effort to check it out.

If you can post a picture as well. I'm sure us avgeeks will enjoy it

Bigant0408

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:54 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

If you can post a picture as well. I'm sure us avgeeks will enjoy it

I'll try my best to get a decent pic or few of it for you guys

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:44 pm

I took a couple of pics of the Qatar 350K and one of a BA 789. I'm trying to post them here but having issues as I don't post pics on here much. They are jpg files. Any suggestions on how I can post. Thanks

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:43 pm

In other news Greenland is targeting major northeast cities including Philly for tourism connectivity. The fact that the city is even mentioned from Greenland is good news IMO

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... d-europe-/

Philly65

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:59 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

Besides QR.

I know this was discussed at length pre-Covid, and I recall the consensus would be NRT-PHL would launch first with either JAL or AA. I also heard from an aviation consultant that China was likely this decade but the Chinese officials thought it was part of metro NYC area...again pre-Covid. I don't think we will see that inflection back to pre-Covid traffic levels until next decade. I know the pundits stated 3-5 years but I find that unlikely. At this point, PHL-NRT is 50/50 at best for starting this decade.

Philly65

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
In other news Greenland is targeting major northeast cities including Philly for tourism connectivity. The fact that the city is even mentioned from Greenland is good news IMO

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... d-europe-/

That is interesting, but again you are talking a metro area of 5-6m people not chump change. The biggest obstacle PHL has is its close distance to NYC a mere 90 miles away. I always thought the airport management did a horrible job at promoting the airport and have seen very little evidence of any improvement. If it were private sector running the airport the people running it would be long gone. I hope that changes but for now I am afraid it is status quo...large AA focus city with some LCC penetration.

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:32 pm

Simply Flying posted about Frontiers top airports and top routes and MCO to PHL is there number on route and #4 airport

https://simpleflying.com/frontier-top-airlines-routes/

Bigant0408

Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm

With the big news about the F9 and NK merger I will be curious how this will affect PHL especially with the Oakland and Aguadilla routes. Would Allegiant maybe consider operating out the airport then. This will be interesting to say the least

aerace

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:28 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
With the big news about the F9 and NK merger I will be curious how this will affect PHL especially with the Oakland and Aguadilla routes. Would Allegiant maybe consider operating out the airport then. This will be interesting to say the least

I was thinking this. We have ~30 destinations from F9 and soon-to-be ~20 on NK. I also remember NK saying that they really see opportunity in PHL, so I would be curious to see if this makes PHL a front-runner for a major focus for the merged airline..

Bigant0408

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:52 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I was thinking this. We have ~30 destinations from F9 and soon-to-be ~20 on NK. I also remember NK saying that they really see opportunity in PHL, so I would be curious to see if this makes PHL a front-runner for a major focus for the merged airline..

And with Spirit taking on two new gates and expanding the check in counter gate space I wonder if this was part of the plan as well. Another big question at least for PHL is will F9 do more daily routes besides MCO and San Juan. Obviously all speculation but hopefully this will bring more routes especially towards the west coast

PHLspecial

Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:16 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

I think this is huge for PHL. Of course they will not maintain the current service levels that have for both F9 and NK. However I do see that PHL will be a major focus for them. Short term we will see some reduced frequencies. Long term I see them expanding into more markets. I see those two routes sticking around because NK does it's research for starting new routes. Combined I can see F9 and NK offer up to 40+ flights a day maybe even pushing 50.

Maybe I'm crazy but with this combined network PHL can be #3 or #4 largest hub in their network.

Zbogart757

Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:45 pm

I personally see this F9/NK merger as a big win for PHL, if you see the trend what F9 has done in the past and recently with NE markets such as EWR & IAD, they have scaled back drastically or have completely exited the market where at PHL both F9 and NK have expanded exponentially over the years. Now it makes sense why you never saw a F9 retaliation with the most recent NK expansion

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos