Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AngMoh
Topic Author

AirAsia Group seeks to rename company as Capital A

Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:17 am

Malaysia's AirAsia seeks to rename company as Capital A subject to shareholder approval. The name has been approved by the Companies Commission of Malaysia.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/busines ... al-2412351

TokyoImperialPa

Re: Malaysia's AirAsia seeks to rename company as Capital A

Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:19 pm

Are they planning to consolidate their debts into one easily monthly payment through Capital One?

flee

Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:28 pm

TokyoImperialPa wrote:
Are they planning to consolidate their debts into one easily monthly payment through Capital One?

I think the change in name is to reflect the nature of Airasia Group Berhad - it is no longer just an airline. If you look at their corporate structure chart, you will see all sorts of companies in the Group. I guess that changing the name will tell investors that it is not an airline but a company with businesses in many parts of the economy.

xjetflyer2001

Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:29 pm

Sounds Terrible, hope they reconsider. Capital A sounds like an airline I've never heard of, thus one I would be weary of flying.

OzarkD9S

Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:59 pm

TokyoImperialPa wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

dalmit

Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:08 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but the name of the airline won't change...just the group that owns them?

2eng2efficient

Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:25 pm

They should call it Capital C, which is just about their credit rating.

flee

Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:31 pm

dalmit wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the name of the airline won't change...just the group that owns them?

Correct!

xjetflyer2001

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:58 pm

flee wrote:
dalmit wrote:

Correct!

That makes more sense, I missed that when I read the headline earlier.

TexasAirCorp

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:23 pm

Interesting to see AirAsia is taking Lion Air and it's subsidiary 'Super Air Jet' on in the battle of the worst airline name.

Can they even afford to change their name right now? The cost of a new office sign would probably throw them into bankruptcy.

mercure1

Re: AirAsia Group seeks to rename company as Capital A

Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 pm

Change is official.
AirAsia Group announced the holding company has become Capital A Berhad. The name change reflects the Group’s additional business strategy as a broader holding company with a portfolio of travel, logistics, finance and lifestyle businesses.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-01-28/

airportugal310

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:17 pm

Makes sense. Much like Allegiant is just one of the travel units under the parent company (Allegiant Travel Company), though their names are closely tied to one another. But they didn't have to be

lightsaber

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 pm

Is there a legal advantage to a name change of the controlling entiry during the bankruptcy?

Lightsaber

TravelQ

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:19 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
TokyoImperialPa wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Interesting, looks like they could be loading all of the debts into a holding company with a name with no emotional attachment. By seperating the different business groups and the holding company they can limit the damage to brands like AirAsia as they go through a restructuring.

I suspect AirAsia is now at a size where it's value will be based upon its ability to generate sustainable profits, not it's rate of growth.

As such, the original investors, who were probably more venture capitalists rather than airline managers will look to invest elsewhere.

It would be interesting to know how their partners who invested in resorts and hotels as part of the "developing a destination" strategy are fairing. It could be the case there are quite a few other seperate failed businesses associated with this entity.

jbs2886

Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 am

lightsaber wrote:
Is there a legal advantage to a name change of the controlling entiry during the bankruptcy?

Lightsaber

In the US, no. Name changes are not sufficient to remove any obligations/liabilities. I would imagine that's similar internationally because something as simple as a name change shouldn't be able to relieve the entity of obligations, etc.

S0Y

Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:26 am

its all about brand protection, all the nasty things that will happen during re-structuring are associated with a bland corporation rather than the airline itself. Similar tactic as Facebook creating Meta

flee

Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:12 am

S0Y wrote:
its all about brand protection, all the nasty things that will happen during re-structuring are associated with a bland corporation rather than the airline itself. Similar tactic as Facebook creating Meta

Yes, I think Capital A (formerly Airasia Group) Berhad wants to rid itself of the bad press of Airasia and Airasia X. There are many non airline companies in the group and they don't really want to suffer the bad consequences of the restructuring of the airlines.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/ ... estyle-and

BAeRJ100

Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:22 am

TexasAirCorp wrote:
Interesting to see AirAsia is taking Lion Air and it's subsidiary 'Super Air Jet' on in the battle of the worst airline name.

Except the airlines within the group are retaining the AirAsia name. Capital A is purely the new name for the company that owns the airlines. It's like how Facebook (the company) rebranded to Meta last year, but Facebook (the social media platform) retained its name.

edealinfo

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:45 am

2eng2efficient wrote:
They should call it Capital C, which is just about their credit rating.

ha ha

lightsaber

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:42 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

In the US, no. Name changes are not sufficient to remove any obligations/liabilities. I would imagine that's similar internationally because something as simple as a name change shouldn't be able to relieve the entity of obligations, etc.

I was wondering if it reduces the number of future lawsuits against the company. I don't think it makes a difference, but does it reduce future legal expenses?

This is way to Capitol One a name. :rotfl:
The question is, are they making their monthly payments? ;)

Lightsaber

MIflyer12

Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:42 pm

It leaves the AirAsia name available as another corporate entity. (To Americans) think of how Comcast rebranded its internet service to Xfiniti, leaving the Comcast name as the parent company of the NBC networks, Universal studios, the cable TV services...

LAXintl

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:46 pm

While I don't love the name, the group compromises over 20 different products, services and brands in their portfolio.

There really is no reason to lump everything from grocery to restaurants, to digital or financial services under the airline name. A more neutral holding brand makes sense as most of the companies attached to the group have no real connections to passenger air transportation which AirAsia name is so well associated with. It simply becomes much cleaner for each venture.

jbs2886

Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:25 pm

lightsaber wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I was wondering if it reduces the number of future lawsuits against the company. I don't think it makes a difference, but does it reduce future legal expenses?

This is way to Capitol One a name. :rotfl:
The question is, are they making their monthly payments? ;)

Lightsaber

Nope no difference.

flee

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:57 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
It leaves the AirAsia name available as another corporate entity. (To Americans) think of how Comcast rebranded its internet service to Xfiniti, leaving the Comcast name as the parent company of the NBC networks, Universal studios, the cable TV services...

Airasia is still a subsidiary of the Capital A Group - it is the holding company that changed its name, not the airline company.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos