Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Cuba's "Freedom Flights..on what airlines were they?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:53 pm

Hi I just read on Wikipedia about the Freedom Flights between Cuba and the US between 1965 and 1973 but Wikipedia doesnt say which airlinescarried these special flights....

Does anyone know?

Thanks and God bless you!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Cuba's "Freedom Flights..on what airlines were they???

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:13 am

EAL flew some of them.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
EAL flew some of them.

Interesting

I figure Pan Am and National too?

Thanks, God bless!

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:02 pm

PA, yes, I don’t think National.

dcajet

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

IIRC National operated some of the Peter Pan flights that flew unaccompanied minors out of Cuba, but I think that was a different program at a different point in time (1961-63).

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Yeah...i imagine some of the Florida based airlines since they figured, in the future at least some of the Cubans they carried would use them for other trips you know..also, well, since the Florida based airlines were, well..Florida based....

dcajet

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:20 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Yeah...i imagine some of the Florida based airlines since they figured, in the future at least some of the Cubans they carried would use them for other trips you know..also, well, since the Florida based airlines were, well..Florida based....

Not sure brand loyalty played a part here. Those poor Cubans were happy to leave on ANY airline.

CrewBunk

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:51 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Up until the end of the revolution, National flew to Cuba; TPA-HAV, MIA-HAV and even IDL-HAV nonstop. I’d be surprised therefore, if they weren’t used in moving people between the two countries.

Interesting that Eastern did fly to Cuba during this time. When HAV was a lucrative destination for PA and NA, for years, EA tried to gain rights, but were unsuccessful.

mga707

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:20 am

CrewBunk wrote:

Up until the end of the revolution, National flew to Cuba; TPA-HAV, MIA-HAV and even IDL-HAV nonstop. I’d be surprised therefore, if they weren’t used in moving people between the two countries.

Interesting that Eastern did fly to Cuba during this time. When HAV was a lucrative destination for PA and NA, for years, EA tried to gain rights, but were unsuccessful.

You left out the 'not' above (should read 'did not fly'), but your next sentence is correct. Delta and Braniff also served HAV in the 1950s. DL as a result of the Chicago and Southern merger in 1953, from New Orleans. Braniff also flew HAV-MIA, but were not allowed to carry local traffic on the route. Their flights either continued to/from Houston and Dallas (local MIA-Texas traffic was also prohibited), or to/from Washington and New York as an interchange service with Eastern.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:03 am

dcajet wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Not sure brand loyalty played a part here. Those poor Cubans were happy to leave on ANY airline.

Oh I bet...but for future reference to their kids and later grandkids...cause trust me, Hispanics do that...."x airline is a really good airline" cause i mean after all, at least some of those Cuban immigrants' children were going to have well paying jobs in Florida so....

dcajet

Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:02 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
dcajet wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

Oh I bet...but for future reference to their kids and later grandkids...cause trust me, Hispanics do that...."x airline is a really good airline" cause i mean after all, at least some of those Cuban immigrants' children were going to have well paying jobs in Florida so....

Well, in any case, it's a moot point. All the airlines we are talking about (Eastern, National and "la Pan American") are no longer of this world...

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:54 am

dcajet wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Well, in any case, it's a moot point. All the airlines we are talking about (Eastern, National and "la Pan American") are no longer of this world...

Actually "La Eastern, La National and La Pan American"....lol I remember as a kid, talking about "La Delta, La Mexicana, la Iberia, La Eastern, la ALM, la American, la Viasa, la Capitol" etc etc... :D

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos