Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

capejet
Topic Author

Seasonal flights between US and Europe winter only

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:20 am

I am curious about something. I know there is a lot of extra service between the US and Europe in summer months. Many airlines operate nonstop flights between points A and B that may only operate for 3 or 4 summer months. Are there any flights like that in the winter only? If so, I would think it would be from the UK or Germany or other northern European countries to Florida or Arizona, but I am not sure if any US or European airlines operate any flights like that.

davidjohnson6

Re: Seasonal flights between US and Europe winter only

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:29 am

In previous years, there have been special charters to take people living in some European cities to NYC in December for Xmas shopping. Possibly also some winter ski charters to Colorado. Arizona may see many people from North America in the winter... but Europeans seeking winter sun tend to aim for other places

USAirALB

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:53 am

I believe Thomas Cook was going to start seasonal LGW-RNO service over the Winter season but never did because of FIS constraints at RNO.

asuflyer

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:56 am

Demand between US-Europe both business and leisure travel has been historically lower in the winter months, and falls off especially after New Year's from January through March/April. While some affluent Europeans and Americans take ski trips to the French/Swiss and Austrian alps and vice versa Europeans to Colorado/Utah, the numbers are quite low. Examples I can think of are Norwegian briefly operated to LGW to SJU and CPH to STX in the winter. Jet2 has operated shopping charters from NCL, LBA, to EWR with 757's, A330's. Before that I believe FlyGlobespan did as well. As for sun destinations in the US winter, lots of service on European airlines to MIA has been converted to year round.

capejet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:03 am

That is really interesting. I can see how MIA service to Europe would be year round. What about Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and Orlando? I am surprised there is not more service to those cities, but like previous poster wrote most northern Europeans seek the Sun elsewhere. Probably Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece.

N292UX

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:24 am

Didn't KLM operate AMS-MIA on a winter only basis in the 2010s?

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:56 am

Y'all are forgetting a rather famous one:

Concorde flew scheduled winter-seasonal service on LHR-BGI from December through April (varies), all the way until its retirement in 2003.

maps4ltd

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:39 am

Finnair currently flies Helsinki and Stockholm to Miami on a winter seasonal basis.

sfojvjets

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:56 am

LAX772LR wrote:

Concorde flew scheduled winter-seasonal service on LHR-BGI from December through April (varies), all the way until its retirement in 2003.

Isn't Bridgetown in Barbados?

I think AY's new ARN-MIA ends in May so that could count as winter seasonal.

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:03 am

sfojvjets wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Isn't Bridgetown in Barbados?

True. I guess I had "Americas" in mind when I typed it, as opposed to "US" specifically.

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:20 am

I'd love a seasonal service to the major ski spots in Europe. That'd be awesome!

runway23

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:33 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I'd love a seasonal service to the major ski spots in Europe. That'd be awesome!

Many airports near to the main ski resorts are either too small or limited operationally (INN, CMF, SIR, BRN), have no market (GNB, SZG, TRN), wouldn't work outside of summer operations or by virtue of other nearby airports (LYS) already have year round service (GVA, MXP) or are hubs but are located further from the ski resorts than the other airports (ZRH, MUC, VIE).

lightmac

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:54 am

Air Berlin flew Düsseldorf to Ft, Myers in winter, I believe

jetskipper

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:03 am

lightmac wrote:

Went back to the LTU L-1011 days.

lesfalls

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:21 pm

jetskipper wrote:
lightmac wrote:

Some years it started to operate year-around and then was made fully year-around in 2012/2014 I believe.

EW continues to maintain the same schedule.

SASViking

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:29 pm

SAS operate CPH/ARN/OSL-MIA as a winter seasonal route only

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:41 pm

capejet wrote:
That is really interesting. I can see how MIA service to Europe would be year round. What about Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and Orlando? I am surprised there is not more service to those cities, but like previous poster wrote most northern Europeans seek the Sun elsewhere. Probably Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece.

Italy and Greece have more sunshine than Helsinki in February, sure, but you're not going to get reliable warmth and sun. February's avg daily high in Rome is about 55F/13C. See the definition of a winter Mediteranean climate. (Orlando isn't reliably warm, either.)

FRA and LHR have Orlando and Miami flights. There's CGD-MIA and AMS-MIA. Tampa simply isn't in the same leagure for international traveler counts. It doesn't see a tenth of what Orlando or Miami do.

ContinentalEWR

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:49 pm

capejet wrote:
I am curious about something. I know there is a lot of extra service between the US and Europe in summer months. Many airlines operate nonstop flights between points A and B that may only operate for 3 or 4 summer months. Are there any flights like that in the winter only? If so, I would think it would be from the UK or Germany or other northern European countries to Florida or Arizona, but I am not sure if any US or European airlines operate any flights like that.

Apart from some added capacity in a handful (and really one) market in Florida (MIA), you're not going to see much more supply than what is traditionally already provided in the market. As to Arizona, there just isn't that kind of demand. It's not a huge destination for Europeans.

Toinou

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:04 pm

runway23 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Many airports near to the main ski resorts are either too small or limited operationally (INN, CMF, SIR, BRN), have no market (GNB, SZG, TRN), wouldn't work outside of summer operations or by virtue of other nearby airports (LYS) already have year round service (GVA, MXP) or are hubs but are located further from the ski resorts than the other airports (ZRH, MUC, VIE).

You can add that many of the airports you mentioned as having a service anyway are very well connected to the ski areas, at least it's the case for GVA and ZRH, so the not-that-large number of interested passengers can easily use those links.

airbazar

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:06 pm

runway23 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I go to Austria (from Boston), almost every year because my wife is from there. Just spent last week there. At one point years ago I too wondered why such thing doesn't exist. SZG where I flew into has a 9,000ft runway. Pre-Pandemic SZG used to get 747 charters. Those ski resorts however are ot well known to Americans. But I think the real reason is simply because they don't need to. European ski resorts are pretty crowded as they are because they are easily accessible by all Europeans, either by car, plane, or train. Most network carriers already fly into major airports like ZRH, MUC, and MXP, all of which are much cheaper to fly into than the smaller airports. I speak from experience. Almost always we fly into MUC rather than SZG because flights are much cheaper to MUC and car rental is significantly cheaper. I can easily save $1000 between the 3 of us by flying into MUC rather than SZG and then drive for 2 hours. This time we flew into SZG because the Pandemic has turned the airline industry upside down and for the first time in 15 years it was cheaper to fly into SZG rather than MUC. In par because BA has decided to fly there from LHR thus enabling connections from the U.S.

davidjohnson6

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:09 pm

Just to clarify... if people living in northern Europe want winter sun, the default place for the masses is the Canary Islands off the coast of north Africa - eg Tenerife. Take a look at TFS, LPA, ACE or FUE airports on FR24 and you will see the huge number of flights these airports handle
Otherwise, Dubai and Red Sea resorts in Egypt are popular for Europeans. Or if you have plenty of money, Carribean Islands

The Mediterranean is not a winter sun destination. Many Greek island airports are extremely busy in July, but see maybe just a couple of prop flights to Athens as lifeline routes in January

Apologies for going off topic a bit, but thought it would be helpful to give some more info on the outbound winter leisure market from Europe.

capejet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:35 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Just to clarify... if people living in northern Europe want winter sun, the default place for the masses is the Canary Islands off the coast of north Africa - eg Tenerife. Take a look at TFS, LPA, ACE or FUE airports on FR24 and you will see the huge number of flights these airports handle
Otherwise, Dubai and Red Sea resorts in Egypt are popular for Europeans. Or if you have plenty of money, Carribean Islands

The Mediterranean is not a winter sun destination. Many Greek island airports are extremely busy in July, but see maybe just a couple of prop flights to Athens as lifeline routes in January

Apologies for going off topic a bit, but thought it would be helpful to give some more info on the outbound winter leisure market from Europe.

This is interesting. I guess the Greek Islands might be a fun place to visit in the winter if you do not mind it not being warm enough for sun bathing. But you will have fewer tourists to deal with.

airbazar

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:46 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

There's a lot that I think is wrong here. Europeans don't really travel en mass to the Canary Islands or North Africa in the Winter. Those are Summer destinations predominantly, for obvious reasons. It's 68F/20C in TNF right now. Pre-Pandemic the go-to places were indeed the Caribbean, Mexico, Southeast Asia, Dubai, Florida. Dominican Republic and Cuba are/were huge Winter time destinations for Europeans. Thailand and Vietnam were/are also hugely popular.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:46 pm

Jet2 have operated a small number of seasonal charters from various UK points to New York with the 757, marketed as 'Christmas Shopping Flights'

jetsetter629

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:15 pm

Azores Airlines (or I maybe it's TAP) is running a 1x weekly JFK-FNC flight this winter. This is clearly targeting the ex-USA traveler bu it's not even that warm in Maderia in the winter

USAirALB

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:39 pm

jetskipper wrote:
lightmac wrote:

LTU also served DAB-DUS back in the day as well IIRC.

lesfalls

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:11 pm

USAirALB wrote:
jetskipper wrote:
lightmac wrote:

What happened to that service?

USAirALB

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:43 pm

lesfalls wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
jetskipper wrote:

What happened to that service?

I believe they attempted DAB a couple of times in the 90s...once DAB-DUS nonstop with a 763, another as a tag-on to MIA with a 763, and another as a stopover to ADZ with a L-1011.

guillermohs

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm

airbazar wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

There's a lot that I think is wrong here. Europeans don't really travel en mass to the Canary Islands or North Africa in the Winter. Those are Summer destinations predominantly, for obvious reasons. It's 68F/20C in TNF right now. Pre-Pandemic the go-to places were indeed the Caribbean, Mexico, Southeast Asia, Dubai, Florida. Dominican Republic and Cuba are/were huge Winter time destinations for Europeans. Thailand and Vietnam were/are also hugely popular.

The Canary Islands are a predominant winter season destination in Europe for medium-low income tourists from the UK, Germany, Scandinavia and more recently France and Italy. Only in 2019 more than 13 million foreigners visited the islands. Overall they record mild temperatures (22ºC) all year around, with the southern part of the islands being significantly warmer due to terrain.

The Caribbean, Dubai or Southeast Asia are definitely popular tourist destinations for Europeans, but for rather less price sensitive tourists.

MareBorealis

Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:36 am

airbazar wrote:
There's a lot that I think is wrong here. Europeans don't really travel en mass to the Canary Islands or North Africa in the Winter. Those are Summer destinations predominantly, for obvious reasons. It's 68F/20C in TNF right now.

At least for Finns summer is the least popular time to visit the Canary Islands. Talking about package holidays, the islands have been the number one winter destination for Finns for decades. I believe it's the same around the Nordic region, 68F/20C sounds just fine in January :)

robleroy121721

Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:58 am

asuflyer wrote:
Demand between US-Europe both business and leisure travel has been historically lower in the winter months, and falls off especially after New Year's from January through March/April. While some affluent Europeans and Americans take ski trips to the French/Swiss and Austrian alps and vice versa Europeans to Colorado/Utah, the numbers are quite low. Examples I can think of are Norwegian briefly operated to LGW to SJU and CPH to STX in the winter. Jet2 has operated shopping charters from NCL, LBA, to EWR with 757's, A330's. Before that I believe FlyGlobespan did as well. As for sun destinations in the US winter, lots of service on European airlines to MIA has been converted to year round.

Norwegian brought us LGW/CPH/OSL/ARN-SJU, all Seasonal. The trip to Copenhagen had a stop at STX, though I'm not sure whether it was on the incoming leg or on the returning leg of the trip. It was nice getting those 787's while it lasted. They're not a common sight here anymore.

I recall a fair few others flying to SJU as well, such as BA, Alitalia, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, Air Europa, et al.

Nowadays we have Condor and Iberia.

fessor

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:15 am

airbazar wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

For Scandinavians the Canaria Islands is top in winter followed by Egypt and Thailand under normal circumstances.

rutankrd

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:08 pm

capejet wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

This is interesting. I guess the Greek Islands might be a fun place to visit in the winter if you do not mind it not being warm enough for sun bathing. But you will have fewer tourists to deal with.

Its bloody cold and NOTHING is open , indeed the eastern islands mountains have snow including Cyprus !

Need sun and a bit of warmth continental Europe ain't providing it !

The Canaries are the major European winter sun head-to destinations and have been for decades - Indeed the many smaller North European airports flights to Tenerife is the prime holiday route and when its volcano isn't bubbling La Palma in particular is a winter route !

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:37 pm

guillermohs wrote:
The Canary Islands are a predominant winter season destination in Europe for medium-low income tourists from the UK, Germany, Scandinavia and more recently France and Italy. Only in 2019 more than 13 million foreigners visited the islands. Overall they record mild temperatures (22ºC) all year around, with the southern part of the islands being significantly warmer due to terrain.

The Caribbean, Dubai or Southeast Asia are definitely popular tourist destinations for Europeans, but for rather less price sensitive tourists.

Don't forget about Cape Verde, which is an upcoming holiday destination as well. It's a bit further than the Canaries and while the Canaries can get a bit chilly during the winter at times, Cape Verde stays comfortably warm. It's called the land of the eternal summer.

Sure Cape Verde doesn't yet have the number of tourists that the Canary islands have but like I said, it's upcoming.

Europeans got plenty of options for a holiday in the sun during the winter, no need to go to the USA for that. When it comes to the Americas, the Caribbean are warmer and more popular.

By the way, didn't TUI recently launch a new route from Gatwick to Los Cabos in Mexico? I believe that was a winter seasonal route as well, not sure about it. Anyway, it was launched just before COVID-19 broke loose and for that reason put on hold. Not sure if they'll ever continue it.

flyjay123

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:47 pm

I remember many years ago around late 1980's early 90's, Caledonian Airways operated a weekly winter charter on the Tristar to either Colorado or Calgary for winter skiing, I can't remember which one.

Some of the main winter sun destinations from the UK/Europe (pre pandemic), where there's a series of seasonal winter flights are: Goa, Egypt, Thailand, Banjul, Azores, Ovda/Eilat, Aqaba/Jordan Carribean, Mexico, Mombasa, and even Australia on Britannia, Airtours and Condor back in the day. Cape Town was also tried.

The Canaries are of course popular during winter - but more so during summer. Other less popular winter sun locations are: Cyprus, Madeira, Agadir/Morocco etc etc....

So, seasonal US/Europe winter flights have never really been a big thing.....as most those services are year round anyway and well served by scheduled carriers.

IAD380DCA

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:04 pm

It might have been as far back the late 80s to the early 90s but Austrian Airlines had a weekly flight SZG-JFK-SZG that lasted just one winter. It never returned. On the day they had that flight, they did not have the VIE-JFK flight.

David_itl

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:37 pm

Back in the day when AA actually served MAN 3 daily, we had ORD and JFK daily, with BOS summer only and MIA winter only. 1st season MIA was dally and 2nd season in was 3 weekly (Fri/Sat/Sun)