Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ContinentalEWR

Re: Tristar at BA - cabin & config & long-haul routes

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:29 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
mats wrote:
I remember flying BA from Nairobi to London/Heathrow in 1986. I believe that was BA 55 (Johannesburg-Nairobi-London; maybe sometimes with a stop in Harare.)

I was disappointed when we got to the gate in Nairobi. A 747 was waiting for us.
At least once a week, the flight was on an L1011 with an additional stop in Larnaca.

I also recall that our BA flight parked next to a Saudia L1011.

In retrospect, I do not think I was missing much. The L1011 flight was at least 24 hours late. And I imagine that the 10-across seating was not terribly comfortable. (To be fair, United, Pan Am, and Hawaiian all flew with 10-across on their L1011s.) As much as I love the L1011, that seems like it would have been a bit too cozy.

I do confirm that the TriStar was used to Nairobi. Just last night a former school friend was saying they flew down to Nairobi on one some-time around 1983/84. Not sure about the LCA stop though.
I do not think that the long-haul BA TriStars had ten-across in Y. At least initially (and then on for many years), 10-across was reserved for the short-haul fleet, and for the KT charter birds.
PA instead had 10 abreast on their L15 right from the onset.

Pan Am ordered 15 L1011s in 1978. They were intended to replace the 707. They took options on 14 more. In the end, they took delivery of just 3, all in 1980. Believe the rest went to DL and the Royal Air Force.

WA707atMSP

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:50 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
mats wrote:
I remember flying BA from Nairobi to London/Heathrow in 1986. I believe that was BA 55 (Johannesburg-Nairobi-London; maybe sometimes with a stop in Harare.)

IPan Am ordered 15 L1011s in 1978. They were intended to replace the 707. They took options on 14 more. In the end, they took delivery of just 3, all in 1980. Believe the rest went to DL and the Royal Air Force.

PA's original order was for 12 -500s, and they took delivery of all of them.

Six of PA's Tristars went to United as part of the Pacific route purchase; the rest went to DL and the Royal Air Force, as you said.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:11 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
A single BA L1011 was a common site at JFK, in the 1980s, and I believe it was the aircraft operating the JFK-MAN service.

Am I wrong in assuming that the TriStar was also briefly operated to JFK out of LHR?

And -more importantly for you, given your namesake- do you perhaps remember the BA TriStar ever operating into EWR? I know for a short while KT (British Airtours) operated 747s for BA out of LGW to EWR in the early '80s....

skipness1E

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:34 pm

They also flew out of LGW for time. GLA-JFK was launched at the worst possible time just as Gulf War 1 kicked off in Aug 90. So BA187 GLA-JFK x 3 weekly was consolidated with the BA173 LGW-JFK over the winter on some days. There's a few pics on the database of BA TriStars at Gatters at the North Terminal.

Gulf War 1 was also the reason they left the fleet almost overnight. I remember seeing G-BHBR at GLA stripped of titles in basic Landor still in service.

AngelsDecay

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:54 pm

One of my strangest but special memories about Speedbirds Tristars was to see one of them, (and not the shortest 500version), operating into/out of Gibraltar tiny lil'rwy around the beginnings of the 80's...some special flights regarding a Cruise ship event on the GIB docks. Still have some pics of it. (pardon me this lil offtopic, but imho interesting indeed). Cheers to all.

flyjay123

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:45 pm

What a great post, bought back some great childhood memories!

My first wide body flight 1986 was KT Tristar to Turin on a school ski trip. I remember it felt huge, seated 2nd row from the front I was fascinated with its unique door operation. It was high density 10 across. I flew one again a couple of years later in 1988, the first year of Caledonian Aiways. And several times later on IT charters,

I never got to fly a BA tristar, but I do remember them launching GLA - JFK in 1990. I was a Travel Agent by then.... and remember thinking it was a big bird for that route, at the start of an industry slow down - GW1.

capicua

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:02 pm

dcajet wrote:
Those were 2 -500 (G-BLUS/T) that BA had to lease from Sri Lankan in 1985 (I believe it was called Air Ceylon back then) for the Brazil routes as BA had ditched its own -500 in 1983.

It was called Airlanka at the time.

dcajet wrote:
I believe these 2 TriStar 500s were used to fly to CCS as well,

That is correct. Here is G-BLUT at CCS at some point in the mid '80s:

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:10 am

capicua wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Those were 2 -500 (G-BLUS/T) that BA had to lease from Sri Lankan in 1985 (I believe it was called Air Ceylon back then) for the Brazil routes as BA had ditched its own -500 in 1983.

It was called Airlanka at the time.

dcajet wrote:
I believe these 2 TriStar 500s were used to fly to CCS as well,

That is correct. Here is G-BLUT at CCS at some point in the mid '80s:

Wow. Just such a beautiful bird!!

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:13 am

AngelsDecay wrote:
One of my strangest but special memories about Speedbirds Tristars was to see one of them, (and not the shortest 500version), operating into/out of Gibraltar tiny lil'rwy around the beginnings of the 80's...some special flights regarding a Cruise ship event on the GIB docks. Still have some pics of it. (pardon me this lil offtopic, but imho interesting indeed). Cheers to all.

I confirm that the TriStar was operated into GIB at several times. In those years leisure and VFR traffic into Gibraltar was heavier than now, and the restrictions often in place with the Spanish authorities meant that occasionally either more flights, or bigger jets, had to be operated.

The TriStar was popular at many leisure destinations on the BA schedule. Another one (which has somewhat declined in popularity too) was Malta.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:14 am

skipness1E wrote:
They also flew out of LGW for time. GLA-JFK was launched at the worst possible time just as Gulf War 1 kicked off in Aug 90. So BA187 GLA-JFK x 3 weekly was consolidated with the BA173 LGW-JFK over the winter on some days. There's a few pics on the database of BA TriStars at Gatters at the North Terminal.

Gulf War 1 was also the reason they left the fleet almost overnight. I remember seeing G-BHBR at GLA stripped of titles in basic Landor still in service.

Thanks for confirming that the BA TriStar did indeed see (albeit brief) operations at Gatters. I did remember seeing the KT birds there often, but was unsure about the BA proper fleet..

DL_Mech

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:57 am

From: http://www.britishairways.com/cms/globa ... _79_15.jpg

Did the TriStar 200 have the centreline overheads installed or did they delete them like TWA did on their late deliveries?

Also, props to all those who referred to it as “TriStar” instead of “Tristar”. There are a lot of you on here!

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:30 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
A single BA L1011 was a common site at JFK, in the 1980s, and I believe it was the aircraft operating the JFK-MAN service.

Am I wrong in assuming that the TriStar was also briefly operated to JFK out of LHR?

And -more importantly for you, given your namesake- do you perhaps remember the BA TriStar ever operating into EWR? I know for a short while KT (British Airtours) operated 747s for BA out of LGW to EWR in the early '80s....

I don't know if BA operated the L1011 on JFK to LHR in the 1980s. From memory, I think BA operated two evening departures on JFK-LHR, plus the daylight service. Believe in the 1980s they were all 747s. It was morning departure, a 7:00pm departure and a 9:00pm departure and that was the schedule into the early 1990s. I think BA started adding more frequency shortly after the early 1990s with a further, later evening departure. After the BCAL acquisition, the JFK-LGW route was flown, I think with the DC10 and the 747. In the summer of 1989, the JFK-LGW operation on BA was a 747.

As to EWR, again, not sure, except that BA added a daylight service out of EWR in 2003 to LHR to complement the two evening departures. I flew BA on EWR-LHR a number of times in the mid-2000s and at that time, the service had switched around a bit from 772s to 763 and 772. I don't remember when BA added EWR as a station.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:51 pm

DL_Mech wrote:

Did the TriStar 200 have the centreline overheads installed or did they delete them like TWA did on their late deliveries?

Also, props to all those who referred to it as “TriStar” instead of “Tristar”. There are a lot of you on here!

Hi DL Mech,

I need to thank you for that truly magnificent photo!

What a stunning, colourful interior was!!
To this day I still think that there's no other wide-body aircraft (save perhaps the A380 and the 747) that exudes that SPACIOUS wide-body feel, like the TriStar does, especially without the central bins...those ceilings were SO damn HIGH!!!!

( I think the -200s had the central bins??)

On a separate note: who else is missing (like myself) those colourful, harlequin interiors?? Boy I HATE the sea of grey that airline cabins have become.... so drab and uninspiring... and so difficult to distinguish one airline from another..... sad.

DL_Mech

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:15 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
To this day I still think that there's no other wide-body aircraft (save perhaps the A380 and the 747) that exudes that SPACIOUS wide-body feel, like the TriStar does, especially without the central bins...those ceilings were SO damn HIGH!!!!

On a separate note: who else is missing (like myself) those colourful, harlequin interiors?? Boy I HATE the sea of grey that airline cabins have become.... so drab and uninspiring... and so difficult to distinguish one airline from another..... sad.

Someone mentioned up thread about the A350 without the center overhead lockers in first class. First time I saw it, I immediately thought of the TriStar. The TriStar had the best interior style bar none, especially compared to the DC-10.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:28 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Someone mentioned up thread about the A350 without the center overhead lockers in first class. First time I saw it, I immediately thought of the TriStar. The TriStar had the best interior style bar none, especially compared to the DC-10.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more! The DC-10 interior was basic to say the least. Lockeed were so far ahead of the game, the L-1011 cabin was so advanced and architecturally so advanced!

TUGMASTER

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:49 pm

IL96 has the missing centre bins also.
Very spacious

BOACJrJet

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:05 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

I don't know if BA operated the L1011 on JFK to LHR in the 1980s. From memory, I think BA operated two evening departures on JFK-LHR, plus the daylight service. Believe in the 1980s they were all 747s. It was morning departure, a 7:00pm departure and a 9:00pm departure and that was the schedule into the early 1990s. I think BA started adding more frequency shortly after the early 1990s with a further, later evening departure. After the BCAL acquisition, the JFK-LGW route was flown, I think with the DC10 and the 747. In the summer of 1989, the JFK-LGW operation on BA was a 747.

As to EWR, again, not sure, except that BA added a daylight service out of EWR in 2003 to LHR to complement the two evening departures. I flew BA on EWR-LHR a number of times in the mid-2000s and at that time, the service had switched around a bit from 772s to 763 and 772. I don't remember when BA added EWR as a station.

As someone who can remember when T5 (T7) opened at JFK, I do know that at one time you could fly from JFK to LGW, LHR, BHX, MAN and GLA plus the EWR flights. Now everything goes through London and if you are connecting up north you suffer double APT!

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:14 pm

BOACJrJet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

As someone who can remember when T5 (T7) opened at JFK, I do know that at one time you could fly from JFK to LGW, LHR, BHX, MAN and GLA plus the EWR flights. Now everything goes through London and if you are connecting up north you suffer double APT!

Indeed, BA operated to LHR, LGW, MAN, GLA, and BHX. The GLA/BHX flights I think for a time were among the very first 757 services across the Atlantic and one of them had a stopover in YYZ or BOS. I don't remember. JFK-BHX didn't last long and GLA was pulled down after a relatively short time as well, MAN was cut and then brought back before being cut again.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:25 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
IL96 has the missing centre bins also.
Very spacious

So did some DC-10s and some A-300s. Nothing uncommon back in the day.
It was a pretty common feature in the '70s and early '80s when cabin baggage was clearly not a "hot item"!!!

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:28 pm

BOACJrJet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

I know. Really rather unbelievable to see how cumbersome it has become to fly to the 'Regions'! You either go via DUB, or you have to back-track through the dire schlepp that LHR has become. Or else it's even a longer bac-track (but some might argue 'more tranquil') via AMS on KL.

Back in the day you'd have the 767 to MAN, and the 757 to BHX and GLA. Just lovely.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:32 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
BOACJrJet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Indeed, BA operated to LHR, LGW, MAN, GLA, and BHX. The GLA/BHX flights I think for a time were among the very first 757 services across the Atlantic and one of them had a stopover in YYZ or BOS. I don't remember. JFK-BHX didn't last long and GLA was pulled down after a relatively short time as well, MAN was cut and then brought back before being cut again.

I am still baffled that BA has all but pulled out almost completely (at least on 'heavy' metal) on such a large market like Manchester. It seems to me that beyond London (where btw they seem to continuously struggle with the duo-hub concept) BA should have the critical mass to possess multiple [smaller] hubs without too many worries....
Back in TriStar times MAN was a very profitable operation for BA.

BOACJrJet

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:35 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
BOACJrJet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

I did take the 757 to GLA more than a few times. It never had a stop. I do remember when the 767 started on the MAN route it needed to prove ETOPS and took a longer and more northerly route. Then one day I got on board and flight time was back to normal ! "Chatham Historic Dockyard" did a yeoman's job on that route for 15 years or so.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:31 pm

BOACJrJet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
BOACJrJet wrote:

I did take the 757 to GLA more than a few times. It never had a stop. I do remember when the 767 started on the MAN route it needed to prove ETOPS and took a longer and more northerly route. Then one day I got on board and flight time was back to normal ! "Chatham Historic Dockyard" did a yeoman's job on that route for 15 years or so.

Now of course, and quite rightly, we are moaning the departure of ANY BA L/h service to the regions, let alone on a lovely spanking-new RR-powered 767.... but boy, didn't the 767 seem a tad of a step back when first introduced as a TriStar replacement..... The cabin seemed so much narrower....not to mention cruising speed...

ojjunior

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:33 pm

DL_Mech wrote:

Now that's a spacious and colorful interior.
Look at the that height!
Thanks for sharing.

Hey Boeing interior design specialists, you awake?

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:54 pm

ojjunior wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:

Now that's a spacious and colorful interior.
Look at the that height!
Thanks for sharing.

Hey Boeing interior design specialists, you awake?

ha ha, I soooo agree with you my friend!!
It seems everybody is reinventing the wheel these days...and getting away with it!!
As much as I am biased, don't tell me an A350 cabin, or a 787 cabin, looks as sleek and inviting (and spacious!) as this TriStar cabin!

BOACJrJet

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:22 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
BOACJrJet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Now of course, and quite rightly, we are moaning the departure of ANY BA L/h service to the regions, let alone on a lovely spanking-new RR-powered 767.... but boy, didn't the 767 seem a tad of a step back when first introduced as a TriStar replacement..... The cabin seemed so much narrower....not to mention cruising speed...

The 2-3-2 seating on the 767 was a real plus - as long as you and your companion got the 2.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:24 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
BOACJrJet wrote:

I am still baffled that BA has all but pulled out almost completely (at least on 'heavy' metal) on such a large market like Manchester. It seems to me that beyond London (where btw they seem to continuously struggle with the duo-hub concept) BA should have the critical mass to possess multiple [smaller] hubs without too many worries....
Back in TriStar times MAN was a very profitable operation for BA.

It feels like the NYC-MAN market has struggled of late, even pre-pandemic. Not entirely sure what the reasons are behind it.

CrewBunk

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:32 pm

I’m old enough to remember when the L1011 was first introduced. Flying on Air Canada’s inaugural flight, economy was 2x2-2x2. Between the two pairs of economy seats was a small closet for carryon. The central overhead bins really weren’t necessary. The entry vestibules with the lowered ceiling with pot lights were exactly like the Electra. The effect was, in my opinion, one of the most attractive aircraft interiors designed.

I recall looking at BEA’s first proposed seat maps with 10 abreast and wondered how it was possible!

In the late 70s, the configuration changed to 2x5x2, but still with no central overhead racks. Where to put carryon became a real issue. When (in Canada) Air Transat, Worldways and Royal flew L1011s with 10 abreast, 29” seat pitch with the same small outboard overhead bins, I can’t imagine where carryon was put!

BA, like AC, took delivery of the -500s with central overhead racks already installed. With 9 abreast in economy, BA’s were 3x4x2, AC’s 2x5x2. Airlines, like Delta, that kept theirs longer, had larger outboard overhead bins installed, along with central bins, even in the -1s.

BealineV953

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:34 pm

skipness1E wrote:
They also flew out of LGW for time.
GLA-JFK was launched at the worst possible time just as Gulf War 1 kicked off in Aug 90. So BA187 GLA-JFK x 3 weekly was consolidated with the BA173 LGW-JFK over the winter on some days.
There's a few pics on the database of BA TriStars at Gatters at the North Terminal.

TriStar 200s were used on LGW-LOS. I flew the route on TriStars in September '89 and April '91.
Someone who knows how to use 'departed flights' could get the details.
Did BA TriStars ever operate the West Africa multi-stop 'coastal' service? I can't remember when that ex-BCal route stopped.

BealineV953

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:41 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
BOACJrJet wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Going way off topic, but....

In March ’93 three BA 767s were allocated to BA Regional (BAR). They were in a two class ClubWorld / WorldTraveller configuration.
They operated MAN-JFK, MAN-LAX and BHX-JFK (some via GLA).
MAN-LAX was dropped at the end of the S94 season.
In January ’95 two of the 767s were replaced by 757s. The remaining 767 was used on MAN-JFK.
The two B757s (G-BPEC & ‘EE) were with BAR from January ’95 to October ’98. They were configured with 18 ClubWorld and 138 WorldTraveller seats. By summer ’97 they were operating daily BHX-JFK-YYZ and GLA-JFK-BOS services.
The sectors from JFK to YYZ and BOS were flown largely because between their arrival times from the UK and departure times back to the UK BA had nowhere at or near Terminal 7 to park the two 757s.

skipness1E

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:45 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

Thanks for confirming that the BA TriStar did indeed see (albeit brief) operations at Gatters. I did remember seeing the KT birds there often, but was unsure about the BA proper fleet..

From memory, there was also a LGW-CAI on the TriStar for a while! I think!

ZuluTime

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:05 pm

The TriStars did operate the ex-BCAL West Africa bus service for a period of time. I'll be able to dig out details soon.

I don't recall LGW-CAI, I must say. LHR-CAI was a TriStar operation on the BA155 for quite a long time, and that used to continue south from Cairo to Khartoum or Addis Ababa on alternate days. Long after the KRT and ADD tags were removed and BA stopped flying to those destinations (well, before BMed came back!) the BA155 / 154 kept the same schedule with the late afternoon departure ex Heathrow and a return from Cairo next morning, which still worked for connections to the US West Coast despite poor aircraft utilisation.

ZuluTime

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:05 pm

Caledonian did operate LGW-MBA for a while with the TriStars and I think they used to use Cairo as a tech-stop on those given that it had BA engineering support?

readytotaxi

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:19 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
BA converted many of their Tristar 200 to remove the lower galley and extend the fwd freight hold in its place. The main deck galleys were made larger by removing the lifts. They must have made more money from freight than Y pax. Was this the Tristar 200F??

Was that galley not optional to airlines at the time of delivery, you just had to have it?

sjones1975

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:02 pm

MAS777 wrote:
I regularly flew to KUL on the Tristar 200s in the 1980s...
The Tristars were lovely planes to fly on…

The rear section (after of Door3) had 4-5 rows of Economy and in those days this was the Smoking section…This was also a semicircular corridor with 5 main toilets for Economy and the engine 3 intake was above this corridor - along with smaller ‘mini’ doors for doors 4L and 4R.. I seem to think these two were smaller right at the back!

Most full-length (non -500) L-1011s seem to have those mini-doors at the back. However, the British Airways L-1011s (at least the 200s) have bigger doors in back. Compare the rear doors of this BA Tristar 200...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/British ... 9Dcw%3D%3D

...with the rear doors on these TWA and Gulf Air Tristar 200s:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-W ... AO/BPqU%3D

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Gulf-Ai ... AO/BPqU%3D

Anyone know the story behind the wider BA rear doors? Were the BA Tristar higher-density than normal, therefore needing bigger doors to meet emergency egress requirements?

As a matter of 'looks', the smaller 4L/4R doors look better because the rear doors aren't separated by that much length from the 3L/R doors. Having two full-size (or almost full-size) sets of of doors so close to each other looks kinda funny. Just commenting on an aspect of the aesthetics of the beautiful L-1011, as many others have in previous threads...I realize that looks/aesthetics play no role in the actual design decisions.

JohnJ

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:06 pm

shankly wrote:
The other was flying LGW-ATL with Delta in '96 and so looking forward to flying the L1011-500 and finding a bloody MD11 was on duty!

I have a similar “disappointment,” flying Delta LGW-ATL in around ‘92 with an L-1011 scheduled and finding a bloody A310 on duty! Hindsight is wonderful; I flew on many DL L-1011s over the years but that was my one and only A310 flight.

skipness1E

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:15 pm

sjones1975 wrote:
MAS777 wrote:
I regularly flew to KUL on the Tristar 200s in the 1980s...
The Tristars were lovely planes to fly on…

The rear section (after of Door3) had 4-5 rows of Economy and in those days this was the Smoking section…This was also a semicircular corridor with 5 main toilets for Economy and the engine 3 intake was above this corridor - along with smaller ‘mini’ doors for doors 4L and 4R.. I seem to think these two were smaller right at the back!

Most full-length (non -500) L-1011s seem to have those mini-doors at the back. However, the British Airways L-1011s (at least the 200s) have bigger doors in back. Compare the rear doors of this BA Tristar 200...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/British ... 9Dcw%3D%3D

...with the rear doors on these TWA and Gulf Air Tristar 200s:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-W ... AO/BPqU%3D

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Gulf-Ai ... AO/BPqU%3D

Anyone know the story behind the wider BA rear doors? Were the BA Tristar higher-density than normal, therefore needing bigger doors to meet emergency egress requirements?

As a matter of 'looks', the smaller 4L/4R doors look better because the rear doors aren't separated by that much length from the 3L/R doors. Having two full-size (or almost full-size) sets of of doors so close to each other looks kinda funny. Just commenting on an aspect of the aesthetics of the beautiful L-1011, as many others have in previous threads...I realize that looks/aesthetics play no role in the actual design decisions.

Yup, the CAA insisted on them. The two Court Line TriStars had to have them as well. Remember BA were the second British operator, not the first.

DL_Mech

Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:27 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Tristarsteve wrote:
BA converted many of their Tristar 200 to remove the lower galley and extend the fwd freight hold in its place. The main deck galleys were made larger by removing the lifts. They must have made more money from freight than Y pax. Was this the Tristar 200F??

Was that galley not optional to airlines at the time of delivery, you just had to have it?

Every long body TriStar was built with a lower galley. Some people assume that the PSA planes had the lounge down there, but the lounge was located in the forward cargo compartment with a movable wall between the two.

From: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2fRm4diKqKY/T ... -12+04.png

BawliBooch

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:23 am

oldannyboy wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Dont think BA operated LHR-JFK with L15. A Caribbean airline operated the route with L15. LHR-JFK-xxx

rutankrd

Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:26 am

BawliBooch wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Dont think BA operated LHR-JFK with L15. A Caribbean airline operated the route with L15. LHR-JFK-xxx

BWIA didn't operate their scheduled Heathrow - Caribbean Tristar flights via NYC , through much earlier charters using 707-200s into Gatwick stoped in the North East Seaboard due range limitations.

ClassicLover

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:21 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
Tristarsteve wrote:

Every long body TriStar was built with a lower galley. Some people assume that the PSA planes had the lounge down there, but the lounge was located in the forward cargo compartment with a movable wall between the two.

That lounge looks pretty funky - very 1970s chic - https://travelupdate.com/psa-lockheed-tristar-lounge/

Shame they were in service such a short time with PSA. Hardly anyone would have got to experience it really. They built five aircraft in that configuration and they were difficult to sell on. I can't work out whether the airline that took them kept the lounge in use or not. That's AeroPerú, Worldways Canada and LTU. Be curious to know if they did.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:38 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

BWIA did fly L1011s to JFK, but back to the OP, BA did fly JFK to MAN on the L1011 in the 80s.

fjhc

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:57 pm

The very first flight I can remember was a Caledonian TriStar, Gatwick-Athens-Mombassa and back. I'm fairly rusty on it, as I was 6 years old at the time, but I remember them messing up the seat assignments and my mother (who hates flying) getting all panicky about dad being in another row and her being stuck with 2 small children, until some kind soul switched with him. I also remember the cabin crew handing out sweets to us all pre-departure. I guess it must have been in a 10-abrest configuration, as the 4 of us were together in the centre of the plane.

I also remember the toilets at the back, and holding my breath walking through the smoking section!

rutankrd

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:15 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

BWIA did fly L1011s to JFK, but back to the OP, BA did fly JFK to MAN on the L1011 in the 80s.

BWIA in a changed name continues to fly to JFK from the Caribbean today ! The error from ContinentalEWR was an assumption they flew London - JFK sectors with the Tristar - They didn't .

BA operated the L1011 at various times from Manchester to JFK, LAX, GLA-JFK and here's the interesting one Manchester- Munich- Bahrain- Bangkok - Hong Kong with the G- BHB 200 series!

I have said this before !

Last edited by rutankrd on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlyCaledonian

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:16 pm

Looking at the Winter timetable for 1986/87 the seat maps show the following:
  • TriStar -1 - Club rows 1-15 (9-abreast) 132 seats / L2/R2 / Club rows 16-24 (9-abreast) 74 seats; Economy rows 25-33 (10-abreast) 89 seats / L3/R3 / Economy rows 34-41 (9-abreast) 57 seats
  • TriStar -50/-200 - First Class rows 1-4 (6-abreast) 22 seats; Club/SuperClub rows 10-14 (6-abreast) 30 seats / L2/R2 / Club/SuperClub rows 15-24 (6-abreast) 52 seats; Economy rows 25-30 (10-abreast) 59 seats / L3/R3 / Economy rows 32-37 (9-abreast) 45 seats + 3 crew-rest seats (37 D/E/G)
  • TriStar -500 - First Class rows 1-2 (6-abreast) 12 seats; Club/SuperClub rows 8-12 (6-abreast) 26 seats / L2/R2 / Economy rows 13-33 (10-abreast) 210 seats + 4 crew-rest seats (32 A/B + 33 A/B)

The -1, -50 and -200 layouts still show the mid-aircraft lifts for the hold galley; the -500 only has cabin galleys.

By the Winter timetable for 1988/89 the seat maps have been updated to reflect the removal of the hold galleys on the -200s. I think this was when BA's longhaul fleet were all re-equipped with new Atlas Galleys because all layouts were updated by this time, with new galley layouts on the seat maps. The -50s and -500s are no longer shown as operated.
  • TriStar -1 (6 in fleet) - Club rows 1-14 (9-abreast) 123 seats / L2/R2 / Club rows 16-24 (9-abreast) 74 seats; Economy rows 25-32 (10-abreast) 79 seats / L3/R3 / Economy rows 34-41 (9-abreast) 57 seats
  • TriStar -200 (8 in fleet) - First Class rows 1-3 (6-abreast) 18 seats; Club World rows 10-14 (7-abreast) 35 seats / L2/R2 / Economy rows 15-30 (10-abreast) 154 seats / L3/R3 / Economy rows 32-37 (9-abreast) 36 seats + 3 crew-rest seats (37 D/E/G)

FlyCaledonian

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:33 pm

In terms of destinations served I'll try look through old timetables, but Summer 1989 has (* - shorthaul):

From/To London Gatwick:
  • Abidjan
  • Accra
  • Amman
  • Athens*
  • Baghdad
  • Banjul
  • Bermuda
  • Cairo
  • Freetown
  • Kano
  • Khartoum.
  • Lagos
  • Larnaca*
  • Malaga*
  • Monrovia
  • Tampa/St. Petersburg

From/To London Heathrow:
  • Abu Dhabi
  • Athens*
  • Bahrain
  • Bangkok
  • Delhi
  • Detroit
  • Doha
  • Jeddah
  • Karachi
  • Kuala Lumpur
  • Kuwait
  • Madras
  • Manila
  • Montreal
  • Muscat
  • Paris (CDG)*
  • Riyadh

From/To Manchester
  • New York (JFK)

Just to add, in my previous post I reference the seat maps from the 1988/89 timetable referencing 6 TriStar -1s and 8 TriStar -200s in the fleet, but no mention of the 3 TriStar 50s. I think that in fact there were only 3 TriStar 1s in the BA shorthaul fleet by this time (G-BBAF/G/H), with 3 (G-BBAE/I/J) having transferred to KT (Caledonian Airways, the rebranded British Airtours following the BCal acquisition). The photo library shows that 1 -50 (G-BEAL) was also with KT by this time and I believe the 2 remaining -50s (G-BEAK/M) were with BA. Looking at the mix of shorthaul/longhaul routes being operated my hunch is that the two -50s were also in longhaul configuration still, giving 3 shorthaul aircraft (-1s) and 10 longhaul aircraft (-50s/-200s).

Three shorthaul aircraft would fit with the schedules as well:
  • 1 aircraft operating LHR-CDG (remaining flights all 757s)
  • 1 aircraft operating LHR-ATH-LGW-ATH-LHR on a 'W' pattern 5 days a week (Tue and Sat the ATH-LGW-ATH sector wasn't operated, so a long overnight for the aircraft in ATH)
  • 1 aircraft operating LGW-AGP and LGW-LCA

Obviously no spare aircraft unless one of the -50s was in shorthaul config, but it's still not an intense schedule for thee aircraft.

PAA25

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:03 pm

BA also flew L1011s to Dhahran during the 1980s (with occasional sensation of services), but eventually switched to a 767 by the 90s. I flew BA129 from LHR-DHA in the summer of 1983, and recall having a bratty gate-side conversation with an adult (I was a kid) who insisted we were flying a Trident!

FlyCaledonian

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:19 pm

I can't see that mention has been made of the aircraft names. When delivered all the TriStars were named after British rose varieties. However, once the Landor scheme was launched in 1984 as aircarft were repainted the names were changed to bays around the British Isles. The six ordered -500s had left the fleet by this time, so only ever carried the rose names. The two -500s leased from AirLanka only had a bay name. The last two -200s were delivered to British Airtours (KT/BKT) and were thus named after birds of prey rather than varieties of roses.

TriStar -1s:
G-BBAE - The Stargazer Rose / Torbay
G-BBAF - The Coronation Rose / Babbacombe Bay
G-BBAG - The Caroline Davison Rose / Bridgewater Bay
G-BBAH - The Sunsilk Rose / Lyme Bay
G-BBAI - The Molly McCreedy Rose / St Brides Bay
G-BBAJ - The Elizabeth Harkness Rose / Holyhead Bay

TriStar -1s converted to -50s for use on longhaul flights:
G-BEAK - The Northern Lights Rose / Carmarthen Bay
G-BEAL - The Red Devil Rose / Cardigan Bay
G-BEAM - The Silver Jubilee Rose / Swansea Bay

TriStar -200s:
G-BGBB - The Lakeland Rose / Bridlington Bay
G-BGBC - The Short Silk Rose / St Andrews Bay
G-BHBL - The Red Ensign Rose / Largo Bay
G-BHBM - The Piccadilly Rose / Poole Bay
G-BHBN - The Fragrant Star Rose / Bideford Bay
G-BHBO - The Morning Jewel Rose / St Magnus Bay
G-BHBP - Osprey / Whitsand Bay
G-BHBR - Golden Eagle / Bude Bay

TriStar -500s:
G-BFCA - The Princess Margaret Rose
G-BFCB - The Harry Wheatcroft Rose
G-BFCC - The English Mist Rose
G-BFCD - The Astral Rose
G-BFCE - The Gay Gordons Rose
G-BFCF - The Elizabeth of Glamis Rose
G-BLUS - Laggan Bay
G-BLUT - Dunnet Bay

Aicraft transferred to Caledonian Airways (KT/CKT) were named after Scottish Lochs:
G-BBAE - Loch Earn
G-BBAF - Loch Fyne
G-BBAH - Loch Avon
G-BBAI - Loch Inver
G-BBAJ - Loch Rannoch
G-BEAK - Loch Moy

FlyCaledonian

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:31 pm

PAA25 wrote:
BA also flew L1011s to Dhahran during the 1980s (with occasional sensation of services), but eventually switched to a 767 by the 90s. I flew BA129 from LHR-DHA in the summer of 1983, and recall having a bratty gate-side conversation with an adult (I was a kid) who insisted we were flying a Trident!

Dhahran went to British Caledonian in 1985 (along with Jeddah) as part of the route swap that saw BCal's South American licences handed to BA in return for BCal being the sole carrier to Saudi Arabia (it had launched Riyadh itself). After the BCal acquisition the routes to Riyadh and Jeddah were quickly transferred to LHR by BA (using the L10), but Dhahran remained at LGW and in Summer 1989 was still being operated by the DC-10. I think it was the route consolidation after the first Gulf War (that also saw off the TriStar fleet at BA) that saw Dhahran move to LHR and as you say it then became a 767-336ER route along with every other Gulf destination.

As mentioned further up in the thread, it was the acquisition of the BCal South American route licences that saw BA lease the two TriStar -500s from AirLanka because it didn't have enough 747-236Bs to operate the LHR-GIG-GRU service. However, I also suspect the -500 was the right-sized aircraft for that route given that for BCal the South American routes had supposedly been loss making.

SunsetLimited

Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:02 pm

My grandparents flew MSY-LHR on a BA L15 back in 1982. The flight originated in MEX at the time. Thrice weekly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos