Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Eviation Alice prototype prepares for maiden flight (pics)

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:31 am

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... ome-images

I've been following this project for several years now, and am excited it's finally going to begin test flights. I still have my doubts about the potential market for this aircraft but I am optimistic. Also, the CEO of the company seems to have stepped down from his role just before the first flight.

https://www.geekwire.com/2022/electric- ... -eviation/

https://www.globalaviationresource.com/ ... st-flight/

Metchalus

Re: Eviation Alice prototype prepares for maiden flight (pics)

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:06 am

Well it's a good looking bird I'll give them that. It's very different from the original tri-motor taildragger with motors on the wing tips.

It's concerning that they ever seriously considered a design with such obvious drawbacks. But this looks very good and hopefuly it will have a successful flight.

FlyingElvii

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:26 am

Metchalus wrote:
Well it's a good looking bird I'll give them that. It's very different from the original tri-motor taildragger with motors on the wing tips.

It's concerning that they ever seriously considered a design with such obvious drawbacks. But this looks very good and hopefuly it will have a successful flight.

I saw that mock-up at the 2019 Paris Air Show up close. The short-comings were pretty obvious. A little gust of cross wind looks like a prop strike and inspection. The engineer seemed quite unhappy when it was pointed out to him, over, and over, and over....

Nice to see they took the effort to do a redesign. It is pretty cool looking for a coal-powered airplane.

sethd18

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:39 am

I'm just happy to see someone take some real strides to innovate. I know they're still only a startup, but the fact that they made a point to get an actual prototype ready to fly show's that they realize talk is cheap. The past 20 years have seen a lot of startups with big words and crazy concepts raise millions of dollars in development costs over 10+ years only to fold long before they think about constructing any actual hardware (Aerion is a good example). I realize a few companies did succeed in bringing a product to market, among them ICON and Cirrus Aviation, but, by introducing electric propulsion to a commercial market, Eviation is innovating in ways that even these organizations didn't.

Plus, the fact that it's looking to break into the airliner market (and I'd say the orders from DHL really give it a shot) may eventually lead to a product that's finally able to break the Boeing/Airbus duopoly and the design funk that those companies have cornered the industry into. New airplanes these days are, for the most part, merely iterations of airplanes from the 1960s - more efficient versions of the 707/DC-8 design template. I'd love to see somebody come along to shake that up. Eviation is obviously not ready for that yet, but if their current product succeeds, I could see them being able to step up to the plate in about 10 to 15 years with a full-sized electric airliner.

N14AZ

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:24 am

Very exciting! Thanks for starting this thread including the pictures.

alberchico wrote:
Also, the CEO of the company seems to have stepped down from his role just before the first flight.

Strange moment to do so, isn’t it? Wonder what happened…

Leej

Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:39 am

N14AZ wrote:

alberchico wrote:
Also, the CEO of the company seems to have stepped down from his role just before the first flight.

Sold his shares, got his money before maiden flight? Not suspicious lol.

alberchico
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:35 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Metchalus wrote:

I saw that mock-up at the 2019 Paris Air Show up close. The short-comings were pretty obvious. A little gust of cross wind looks like a prop strike and inspection. The engineer seemed quite unhappy when it was pointed out to him, over, and over, and over....

Nice to see they took the effort to do a redesign. It is pretty cool looking for a coal-powered airplane.

I believe that the aircraft that was shown in Paris was an actual airworthy prototype, it unfortunately caught fire while preparing for flight testing in Arizona and was damaged beyond repair. However, it was not the aircraft's batteries that caught fire, but rather a generator that it was hooked up to that then spread to the fuselage. That, combined with the pandemic, was what caused the whole project to be delayed. It appears that during this time they realized the original design was not viable and opted for en entire redesign. But you're right. The fact that they chose to develop such an impractical design for so long raises some serious red flags about their design team. Any experienced engineer would have known that the original design would never have passed muster with the relevant regulatory agencies.

This link has some good images of their first prototype.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/eviation- ... lane-tour/

Pythagoras

Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 pm

N14AZ wrote:

alberchico wrote:

The configuration has a number of questionable design issues—
1) deep stall characteristics due to interaction between engine pylon and t-tail
2) susceptibility and fail-safety of thrown prop blade
3) vertical stabilizer appears undersize
4) vertical stabilizer may be flutter sensitive due to small torque cell and t-tail configuration.
NOTE: this was an issue for Honda’s first effort to design a jet aircraft.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_MH02

It could be that the airplane is not certifiable.

Noshow

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:57 am

IIRC the first Paris configuration intended to use the outside mounted props to provide active rudder support with differential power. This way the small tail was meant to be enough. Now they moved the engines inbound but still have a small tail however not a V-tail anymore but T-tail.

alberchico
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:10 am

https://www.globalaviationresource.com/ ... xi-trials/

Quick update: Taxi tests continue but the lousy winter weather is slowing things down. The link has a video of the taxi runs if you want to hear what this aircraft sounds like.

DenverTed

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:39 am

It's a flying AMC Pacer. I like the contours of this aircraft. I'm curious as to the wide fuselage bottom, and if that is a contributor to lift like a flying body aircraft.

alberchico
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:53 am

DenverTed wrote:
It's a flying AMC Pacer. I like the contours of this aircraft. I'm curious as to the wide fuselage bottom, and if that is a contributor to lift like a flying body aircraft.

I believe the shape had to be optimized in this way as a result of the whopping 8,200 pounds of large and flat battery packs that the aircraft will be hauling under the passenger compartment.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airframers ... 76.article

Cape Air has a large provisional order for this aircraft, but I just don't know how they're going to make the economics work for short commuter hops. This aircraft, with its advanced fly by wire controls, all composite fuselage, pressurization and unique powerplants, will no doubt be more expensive to operate and maintain than a Tecnam P2012. Fun fact, DHL has also placed an order for 12 aircraft.

https://www.dhl.com/global-en/home/abou ... skies.html

Flflyer83

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:14 am

Does one crawl to their seat? Doesn’t look like you can stand up in the cabin…

Metchalus

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:22 am

alberchico wrote:
https://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2022/01/23/aviation-event-eviation-alice-taxi-trials/

Quick update: Taxi tests continue but the lousy winter weather is slowing things down. The link has a video of the taxi runs if you want to hear what this aircraft sounds like.

It has a high pitched whining sound, similar to the Piaggio Avanti.

XT6Wagon

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:23 am

How much cabin height does this have? It looks like I'd have to crawl to my seat from the photo which makes it look like the plane is no taller than a pickup. Its my personal feeling that the more you have to bend to walk to you seat the less interested people will be in spending big money.

alberchico
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:37 am

XT6Wagon wrote:
How much cabin height does this have? It looks like I'd have to crawl to my seat from the photo which makes it look like the plane is no taller than a pickup. Its my personal feeling that the more you have to bend to walk to you seat the less interested people will be in spending big money.

These images from the first prototype show what the cabin looks like. Keep in mind the massive windows will help suppress any feelings of claustrophobia.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/eviation- ... lane-tour/

This image shows what the interior of the freighter version is expected to look like:

https://www.scmp.com/business/companies ... ir-courier

EBT

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 am

alberchico wrote:
Cape Air has a large provisional order for this aircraft, but I just don't know how they're going to make the economics work for short commuter hops. This aircraft, with its advanced fly by wire controls, all composite fuselage, pressurization and unique powerplants, will no doubt be more expensive to operate and maintain than a Tecnam P2012.

If you believe what they say, Eviation reckons that the Alice will reduce operating costs by 80-90% over piston-powered aircraft. Consider that this will not use petroleum and if you can get cheap (preferably renewable) power, you will knock out a huge amount of cost in fuel burned. This is especially so on small routes where you burn a larger proportion of fuel in the take-off and climb. Then there are other savings around the electric powerplants as they are much simpler than an internal combustion engine.

FlyingElvii

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:15 am

EBT wrote:
alberchico wrote:
Cape Air has a large provisional order for this aircraft, but I just don't know how they're going to make the economics work for short commuter hops. This aircraft, with its advanced fly by wire controls, all composite fuselage, pressurization and unique powerplants, will no doubt be more expensive to operate and maintain than a Tecnam P2012.

If you believe what they say, Eviation reckons that the Alice will reduce operating costs by 80-90% over piston-powered aircraft. Consider that this will not use petroleum and if you can get cheap (preferably renewable) power, you will knock out a huge amount of cost in fuel burned. This is especially so on small routes where you burn a larger proportion of fuel in the take-off and climb. Then there are other savings around the electric powerplants as they are much simpler than an internal combustion engine.

Ask someone driving an electric car in Germany how “cheap” electricity is this winter.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:03 pm

With charging times, how many legs a day will Cape Air fly per tail? ASMs will drive the costs. They’ll have to get 8 flights a day or more for it to start being reasonable.

alberchico
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:15 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
With charging times, how many legs a day will Cape Air fly per tail? ASMs will drive the costs. They’ll have to get 8 flights a day or more for it to start being reasonable.

The company is claiming a 30 minute charging time. Also, on some very short hops like Boston to Martha's Vineyard it might not be necessary to charge up after each flight, which would allow more legs to be flown during the busy summer season.

alberchico
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:41 pm

Taxi trials have resumed after an unspecified delay. First flight should be soon. This local news article offers a glimpse into the construction of the prototype.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/constr ... utType=amp

Here's a clip from Eviation's Youtube channel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMT6koTSOY0

Dominion301

Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:59 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
EBT wrote:
alberchico wrote:

Ask someone driving an electric car in Germany how “cheap” electricity is this winter.

Still way cheaper than a tank of gas.

WayexTDI

Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:07 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
EBT wrote:

Still way cheaper than a tank of gas.

A lot of "public" charging stations charge as much as, or even more than, a tank of gas; they baited users to turn electric by having cheap or free charging stations and now start charging (pun intended) a lot.

EBT

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:17 am

WayexTDI wrote:
A lot of "public" charging stations charge as much as, or even more than, a tank of gas; they baited users to turn electric by having cheap or free charging stations and now start charging (pun intended) a lot.

I expect that in most cases the airlines operating Alice or other electric aircraft will have their own chargers and agreements with energy providers that will effectively allow them to control a large part of their operating costs. In my context in Australia, airlines will invest in large solar arrays, perhaps linked to large storage batteries and even with that investment they will still make oodles of savings compared to pumping gas into their aircraft.

ReverseFlow

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:25 am

alberchico wrote:
Taxi trials have resumed after an unspecified delay. First flight should be soon. This local news article offers a glimpse into the construction of the prototype.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/constr ... utType=amp

Here's a clip from Eviation's Youtube channel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMT6koTSOY0
The clip is from Jan - on their website und the media section there is this from Feb 14th "“Eviation expects to make the first flight of Alice in the upcoming weeks"

So still no news or sign/date of a first flight?

se210

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:15 pm

N882EV movement data for flight testing can be monitored at ADS-B Exchange - AWO (Arlington Municipal Airport,WA) assuming they turn on their Mode S Transponder. Click on History and the previous button to see previous days when the aircraft was on the move at AWO and the Mode S Transponder was on.

The last taxi activity as of 3/31/2022 looks like it was on:
03/25/2022 - Looks like it got up to 41kt at 20:04:27Z (if you zoom in)
03/10/2022 - Looks like it got up to 61kt at 20:59:56Z

Source: ADS-B Exchange Website

WayexTDI

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:29 pm

EBT wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

I expect that in most cases the airlines operating Alice or other electric aircraft will have their own chargers and agreements with energy providers that will effectively allow them to control a large part of their operating costs. In my context in Australia, airlines will invest in large solar arrays, perhaps linked to large storage batteries and even with that investment they will still make oodles of savings compared to pumping gas into their aircraft.

It all started with the discussion about electric cars.
Charging your EV at home is usually very cheap, doing so at a public station not so much.

But, yes, airlines will invest in what's needed to support their electric planes

alberchico
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:35 am

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 26355.html

Cape Air just made a big commitment to the Eviation Alice. If it all works out we'll see a lot of this aircraft in the Northeast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z8XsS ... nnel=TODAY

The bad news is that according to NBC flight tests will not begin until summer, despite taxi tests having begun in early December. I wonder if they ran into some technical issues with the prototype. :confused:

ikolkyo

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:06 pm

First flight should be today, the aircraft just taxied from takeoff position on the runway back to the ramp so I’m not sure what’s going on. https://youtu.be/_HzIvWcm0ig

ikolkyo

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 pm

Aircraft is taxiing back out to the runway.

ikolkyo

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:15 pm

Aircraft is airborne! Video and FR24 link below. Appears to be an issue getting the Data from the aircraft on FR24
https://twitter.com/dominicgates/status ... 1XrKfj3S_Q
https://www.flightradar24.com/NA/2da07a60

ikolkyo

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:24 pm

Short flight as the aircraft is already back, https://twitter.com/dominicgates/status ... qXA_5D-cUg

Western727

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:52 pm

Congrats to them!

MWH, though?? I thought it was supposed to be from KAWO (Arlington, WA). What did I miss?

floridaflyboy

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:40 pm

How cool. Congrats to everyone involved. Did it seem to anyone else like it was a particularly long takeoff roll for an aircraft that size? Probably just point of view of the video.

Noshow

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:55 pm

Good to see it fly now.

iamlucky13

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:12 pm

Congratulations to the Eviation and MagniX teams!

The flight looked very smooth. The takeoff and landing speeds seemed a little higher than I expected, but perhaps that was just perception or them maintaining lots of margin for the first flight, but it did make me wonder if they designed around a higher takeoff and landing speed in order to optimize the wing a little better for climb and cruise.

spantax

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:20 pm

Wonderful machine. Congratulations to Eviation and all involved. I wish them a great success.
I was wondering. Now the batteries account for +/- 50 % of the MTOW of the plane. What would happen in the case of a larger model, let’s assume an Alice for 19 pax? I mean, would this 50% remain or would be improved? (with range unchanged).
Another aspect that surprised me, but negatively, was the relatively “loud” noise at take-off. Maybe it was a thing of the recording or whatever, but I was hoping a quieter maneuver. Noise is one ot the important selling points of E-planes, I presume.
Regards,
: