Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AngelsDecay
Topic Author

Dubai close call..?

Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:37 pm

Things getting a lil bit rusty these days at EK...

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f30b5c8&opt=0

An Emirates Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EQA performing flight EK-524 from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) to Hyderabad (India), was accelerating for takeoff from Dubai's runway 30R when the crew was instructed to reject takeoff at high speed (above 100 knots over ground) due to a crossing aircraft. The aircraft slowed safely and vacated the runway via taxiway N4 behind the aircraft, that had crossed the runway.

An Emirates Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EBY performing flight EK-568 from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) to Bangalore (India), was taxiing for departure and was cleared to cross runway 30R from taxiway M5A to N4 and was entering the runway just when EK-524 began the takeoff roll.

According to information The Aviation Herald received from two independent sources, EK-524 began their takeoff roll without ATC clearance. Tower subsequently instructed EK-524 to stop. According to information EK-524 may have reached 130 KIAS when they rejected takeoff. According to ADS-B data transmitted by the aircraft's transponder EK-524 had reached 100 knots over ground about 790 meters/2600 feet down the runway and about 1700 meters/5700 feet short of taxiway N4.

EK-568 continued taxi and departed normally. EK-524 taxied back the holding point of runway 30R and departed about 30 minutes after the rejected takeoff.

Plane in red on the De-Cel while other 777 ahead crossing the active.
https://i.postimg.cc/FH8VDt8V/screensho ... b130f8.jpg

smi0006

Re: Dubai close call..?

Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 pm

Interesting to read the cause - it has been reported in AU media QF pilots are also making mistakes due to recency issues as many have been stood down for almost 2yrs, same with many airline staff. It’s a concern for the industry, outside of pilots many new staff joining the ranks and a lot of experience has been lost.

https://amp.sbs.com.au/eds/news/article ... f16f?amp=1

masonh2479

Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:02 pm

First the long takeoff and now the takeoff without clearance, what is going on inside Emirates' cockpits??

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:36 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
First the long takeoff and now the takeoff without clearance, what is going on inside Emirates' cockpits??

To be fair, situations like this happen all the time with airlines all over the world (not excusing it). The frequency of these events at a single airline can definitely raise red flags.

The long takeoff, however, was particularly egregious. Situations like that tend to happen a lot less often, and combined with some of EK's other incidents........ sounds like some things probably need to change at EK.

I sure hope it happens before their luck runs out (and yes, when you have close calls like this, luck is the only thing preventing catastrophe).

FlapOperator

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:00 am

masonh2479 wrote:

I think that its been discussed well in the other thread...highly experienced crew made redundant and repatriating home, an overall lower level of experience in the flight deck, aggressive rostering, a less than robust safety culture and punitive management team.

crownvic

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:37 am

And they have run out of fresh ideas for bashing the 737 Max :). EK is the feeding the sharks now until a new "event" garners attention.

zkojq

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:45 am

masonh2479 wrote:

Meanwhile, down the road in Sharjah.... to be clear, this one happened in 2018, with the final report just being published now. Makes you wonder, though...

DeltaMD90 wrote:
To be fair, situations like this happen all the time with airlines all over the world (not excusing it).

:checkmark: Very true. I'm sure that crew being overworked and highly fatigued doesn't help however. People make all sorts of basic errors that they otherwise wouldn't if they're fatigued.

Desertboki

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 am

https://youtu.be/SJGE7kRSbTU
Happened Emirates little sister a few month back too. Safety culture in the MIddle East is worse than ever. I would hate to be the insurer of these carriers.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:32 am

Desertboki wrote:
Happened Emirates little sister a few month back too. Safety culture in the MIddle East is worse than ever. I would hate to be the insurer of these carriers.

Not as complicated when you're a national carrier with endless government cover.

worldranger

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:36 am

FlapOperator wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:

I think that its been discussed well in the other thread...highly experienced crew made redundant and repatriating home, an overall lower level of experience in the flight deck, aggressive rostering, a less than robust safety culture and punitive management team.

Spot on.

Desertboki

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:25 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Desertboki wrote:

Not as complicated when you're a national carrier with endless government cover.

I do get your point. Remember flydubai is owned by the same government too and regulated by the same GCAA that allow these crazy Rostering and FTL practices.

acavpics

Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:50 am

Hopes are high that EK has taken these two incidents seriously enough to refresh pilots of their safety protocols and implement any new ones necessary.
After all, it's not like they've been immune to crashes (e.g. EK521 just 5 years ago). Even then, they were lucky in that nobody on board died that time. Like other said, they shouldn't wait for their luck to run out.
After all, just months before that crash, their partner airline Fly Dubai did have a completely fatal crash (FZ981).

acavpics

Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 am

Desertboki wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Desertboki wrote:

I do get your point. Remember flydubai is owned by the same government too and regulated by the same GCAA that allow these crazy Rostering and FTL practices.

Haven't they learned anything from BOTH 2016 crashes (EK521 & FZ981)?

FlapOperator

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:01 pm

acavpics wrote:
Even then, they were lucky in that nobody on board died that time. Like other said, they shouldn't wait for their luck to run out.

Frankly, having a foreigner to blame is the "luck" they need from what I've seen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos