Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

panam330
Topic Author

FedEx Requests Approval to Install Anti-Missile Laser Systems

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:11 pm

https://gizmodo.com/fedex-asks-faa-to-let-it-install-anti-missile-lasers-on-1848361044
https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2022-00505.pdf

FedEx has filed with the FAA to install anti-missile systems onboard A321-200 aircraft. But it doesn't have A321s, unless I missed an order for some P2Fs...
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

Newark727

Re: FedEx Asks the FAA to Install Anti-Missile Systems

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:13 pm

Installing systems for a third party perhaps?

GalaxyFlyer

Re: FedEx Asks the FAA to Install Anti-Missile Laser Systems

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:15 pm

All rather strange, FDX doesn’t own A320s, no apparent threat updates.

panam330
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:16 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s Gizmodo.

Yes, agreed, but there's an attached FAA filing in my post (also in the Gizmodo article) that repeatedly states A321s.

UPlog

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:25 pm

FedEx has been testing various IR anti-missle systems for more than a decade including deploying it on an MD-10

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northro ... n_Guardian

We've had discussions about it in previous threads over the years.

I would not read anything into the A321. Likely just want to get STC approval, same they did for the 747 which FedEx does not operate either.

MO11

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:38 pm

Newark727 wrote:

:checkmark: Yes.

majano

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:49 pm

MO11 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Would FedEx be the best party to install such a system? Either for themselves or a third party? Is it not better perhaps if a military systems integrator such Lockheed or even Boeing does the installation?

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm

IIRC didn't AA do a trial experimental anti missile system on a 767 around 2010?

32andBelow

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:59 pm

majano wrote:
MO11 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Would FedEx be the best party to install such a system? Either for themselves or a third party? Is it not better perhaps if a military systems integrator such Lockheed or even Boeing does the installation?

What’s the difference? Are the mechanics and engineers at FedEx worse?

WeatherPilot

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm

It’s likely FedEX wants them installed for potential use throughout other less civilized parts of the world but needs the FAA’s blessing in order for the planes to operate in the US when not in those otherwise less civilized parts.

wjcandee

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:29 pm

32andBelow wrote:
majano wrote:
MO11 wrote:

The difference is that a military integrator would charge 10 times as much, just because that's who they are. Nothing wrong with FedEx doing this as a side business.

SteelChair

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:36 pm

wjcandee wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
majano wrote:

The difference is that a military integrator would charge 10 times as much, just because that's who they are. Nothing wrong with FedEx doing this as a side business.

:checkmark:

And holding other contractors accountable.

GlobalAirways

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:15 pm

They should have it for flights that go into more hostile areas. I would feel safer knowing my plane had extra safety features for these types of threats. Makes me think of the DHL incident over Iraq.

TheZ

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 pm

Are they ill-tempered?

Fixinthe757

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:28 am

32andBelow wrote:
majano wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Talk about a can of worms youre opening there!! :rotfl:

AntonioMartin

Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:20 am

El Al has a similar system (if not the same actually)...If it wasn't so expensive, I would love to see more airlines add this to their airplanes...airlines from countries at war, for example...

JetBuddy

Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:46 am

A good Warzone article on this:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... ermeasures

I find it interesting that they've specifically chosen the A321-200, not an A320 or 737.

Gemuser

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:08 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
It’s likely FedEX wants them installed for potential use throughout other less civilized parts of the world but needs the FAA’s blessing in order for the planes to operate in the US when not in those otherwise less civilized parts.

This is incorrect. They need FAA approval to install the system on "N" registered aircraft, to operate in any part of the world [AFAIK all their aircraft are N registered]. Theoretically they could have installed it on an aircraft registered in another country, with the approval of the authority in that country, and operate that aircraft in US airspace PROVIDED it was engaged in "International Civil Aviation", not US domestic service. I certainly can not think of any reason why they would do so but it is possible.

Gemuser

sxf24

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:22 am

JetBuddy wrote:

I find it interesting that they've specifically chosen the A321-200, not an A320 or 737.

Especially since FX doesn’t have A321s?

32andBelow

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:44 am

JetBuddy wrote:

They prolly have a customer?

Spacepope

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:02 am

WeatherPilot wrote:

Yes, clearly for all the A321s that FX flies all over “those” places. Oh wait…

Some of us old timers on the site distinctly remember the “FedEx Hushkit” for the 727that they developed and installed all over the fleet 30 odd years ago. They are clearly applying to install their new protective technology on aircraft for a customer. Dollars to donuts not even a freight customer.

DL_Mech

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:09 am

UPlog wrote:

I would not read anything into the A321. Likely just want to get STC approval, same they did for the 747 which FedEx does not operate either.

From what I understand, once FedEx is the STC holder of this system they will get paid each time this system is installed on a A321 installed by an airline or MRO.

Spacepope wrote:

Some of us old timers on the site distinctly remember the “FedEx Hushkit” for the 727that they developed and installed all over the fleet 30 odd years ago. They are clearly applying to install their new protective technology on aircraft for a customer. Dollars to donuts not even a freight customer.

I remember when Delta traded all of their A310-200s to FedEx in exchange for 727 hushkits. It was a win-win for both companies.

JetBuddy

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:45 am

sxf24 wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

Obviously.

That's why I'm wondering who it's for.

Has FedEx done aircraft modifications for external customers since the 727 hushkits?

Francoflier

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:54 am

FX A321-200 P2F?
:duck:

astuteman

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:21 am

32andBelow wrote:
majano wrote:
MO11 wrote:

There are usually a lot of differences between Military Engineering and Commercial Engineering that are usually nothing to do with the "engineering" per se, but the uniqueness of the requirements and standards applied to Military hardware, that are fundamentally different to commercial standards, and amongst other things usually lead to a much more difficult and complex (arcane) supply chain and supply solutions.
For most commercial businesses, setting up a business architecture to cope with these differences for a niche, small volume business stream is prohibitively expensive. Which is why you typically get an "either-or" in the supply chain - either dedicated to military work, or dedicated to commercial work.

I would be wary of underplaying the complexities of a commercial firm playing in the military environment. That path is minefield

Rgds

USAirKid

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:16 am

astuteman wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
majano wrote:

There are usually a lot of differences between Military Engineering and Commercial Engineering that are usually nothing to do with the "engineering" per se, but the uniqueness of the requirements and standards applied to Military hardware, that are fundamentally different to commercial standards, and amongst other things usually lead to a much more difficult and complex (arcane) supply chain and supply solutions.
For most commercial businesses, setting up a business architecture to cope with these differences for a niche, small volume business stream is prohibitively expensive. Which is why you typically get an "either-or" in the supply chain - either dedicated to military work, or dedicated to commercial work.

I would be wary of underplaying the complexities of a commercial firm playing in the military environment. That path is minefield

Rgds

This is a good point. It's also shown in Boeing's civilian derived military planes. While the 737s and 767s are unique builds for the military, BCA first delivers the plane to Boeing's military arm, then Boeing military finishes outfitting the plane before it is delivered to the customer.

bluecrew

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:12 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

Obviously.

That's why I'm wondering who it's for.

Has FedEx done aircraft modifications for external customers since the 727 hushkits?

A321s that need missile defense.
Arkia jumps to mind here!

panam330
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:36 pm

bluecrew wrote:
A321s that need missile defense.
Arkia jumps to mind here!

Funny, I was thinking MEA myself, if indeed FedEx didn’t inadvertently reveal future fleet plans. Though with the financial state of Lebanon and the companies within, who knows about that one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos