Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jhud922
Topic Author

Did they change SXM?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:26 pm

I remember hearing about this a few years ago, here's an article that mentions the changes - https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlin ... t-barriers

Just curious what happened and what its like now?

SuseJ772

Re: Did they change SXM?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:04 pm

I am curious how they are going to do that. There are homes to the south by Simpson Bay that’s road does not connect to the west (it dead ends at the beach. How are you going to get to everything that is past the Maho bar?

We stayed at one of the AirBNBs in Simpsons Bay back in 2013 and I can’t picture any other way in and out of there other than Jet Ski or helicopter.

DaveMetroD

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 pm

last google aerial image dated October 24, 2021 shows no change.

ORDJOE

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
I am curious how they are going to do that. There are homes to the south by Simpson Bay that’s road does not connect to the west (it dead ends at the beach. How are you going to get to everything that is past the Maho bar?

We stayed at one of the AirBNBs in Simpsons Bay back in 2013 and I can’t picture any other way in and out of there other than Jet Ski or helicopter.

They would have to extend Simpson bay road along the beach to connect to Fan corral road which seems possible looking at satalite until they do that thought that road has to stay open. Shame of all the 1000s that come to experience this they close it because 1 died and 1 knocked head on barrier over the span of 20 years? seems like a decent safety record to me.

jhud922
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:04 am

ORDJOE wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

They would have to extend Simpson bay road along the beach to connect to Fan corral road which seems possible looking at satalite until they do that thought that road has to stay open. Shame of all the 1000s that come to experience this they close it because 1 died and 1 knocked head on barrier over the span of 20 years? seems like a decent safety record to me.

the amount of tourism and buzz generated by the approach alone surely should justify its existence.

WeatherPilot

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:57 pm

Sounds like it was just a traffic and safety study that didn’t go anywhere.

MO11

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:04 pm

Possibly the island-wide destruction from Irma in 2017 shelved these plans.

ryan78

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:32 pm

I was there 3 weeks ago and I can confirm there has been no change. But I did notice that I was the only one actually hanging onto the fence for some departures. Everyone else seemed to stand on the beach, which wasn't the case in my previous 4 visits. I'm not sure if there was supposed to be enforcement keeping an eye on that and giving tickets but I never saw anything during my stay. In my opinion, holding on to the fence is safer (as long as you don't let go), it's a fixed anchor to hold on to instead of getting blown over and tumbling down the beach into the water. I did also notice all the widebodies AF, KLM, Air Caraibes A330's and Condor 767 all took off towards the beach during my week long stay. Not sure if that's performance related or if the airport has restricted widebody departures from RWY10.

DaveMetroD

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:41 pm

There is ample room there to put a jet blast deflector/fence.
Of course that would seriously reduce the tourist attracting feature.

TWA302

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:01 pm

DaveMetroD wrote:
There is ample room there to put a jet blast deflector/fence.
Of course that would seriously reduce the tourist attracting feature.

And the number of awesome YouTube videos, especially the dorks being blown backwards and into the ocean.

jhud922
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:52 pm

ryan78 wrote:
I was there 3 weeks ago and I can confirm there has been no change. But I did notice that I was the only one actually hanging onto the fence for some departures. Everyone else seemed to stand on the beach, which wasn't the case in my previous 4 visits. I'm not sure if there was supposed to be enforcement keeping an eye on that and giving tickets but I never saw anything during my stay. In my opinion, holding on to the fence is safer (as long as you don't let go), it's a fixed anchor to hold on to instead of getting blown over and tumbling down the beach into the water. I did also notice all the widebodies AF, KLM, Air Caraibes A330's and Condor 767 all took off towards the beach during my week long stay. Not sure if that's performance related or if the airport has restricted widebody departures from RWY10.

Thanks for letting us know! I might have to plan a pilgrimage down there while I still can. My few hours there in 2014 wasn't enough.

TC957

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:36 pm

Talking of SXM, I wonder if BA or VS could make a 2 -3 times a week LHR flight work there. Seems to be the gateway airport to the uber-luxury nearby islands and the sort of clientele these attract.

sierraxray1493

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:50 pm

Also speaking of SXM, did Copa push back the return of Panama City ?

caribny

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 pm

TC957 wrote:
Talking of SXM, I wonder if BA or VS could make a 2 -3 times a week LHR flight work there. Seems to be the gateway airport to the uber-luxury nearby islands and the sort of clientele these attract.

SXM tried to interest BA some time ago but at the time BA chose to service SKB instead. SBH has connections thru ANU with BA/VS to attract the UK market, plus people can also travel to SXM via PAR and AMS. There is also no VFR as there is with SKB.

af773atmsp

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:20 am

I made a New Year's resolution to go to SXM sometime this year, preferably in the spring. I've wanted to go there for 15 years but other travel plans always pushed it off. I want to experience it before they make any major changes to Maho Beach that could downgrade or ruin it.

I was hoping SY would resume MSP-SXM so I could fly non-stop, but they haven't.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos