Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

YYZ closed to arrivals due to Snow-Ice

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 pm

The Greater Toronto Area has experienced blizzard and snow conditions for most of the day with few flights being able to depart. At YYZ hundreds of AC and WS flights were cancelled. The airport has closed to arrivals until 23:30 UTC.

CYYZ D0111/22 LDG ALL RWY NOT AUTH 17 JAN 20:06 UNTIL 17 JAN 23:30

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6317236
https://extranetapps.navcanada.ca/ois/ois.aspx

NLINK

Re: YYZ closed to arrivals due to Snow-Ice

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:46 pm

Wow must be bad snow wise for the Toronto airport to be closed. Rough day for everyone it seems.

Avgeek1991

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:36 pm

NLINK wrote:
Wow must be bad snow wise for the Toronto airport to be closed. Rough day for everyone it seems.

50-60 inches of snow reported. That's well over a foot of snow

AirKevin

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 pm

Avgeek1991 wrote:
NLINK wrote:

Inches or centimeters. If that's really in inches, that would be a bit of an understatement, as that would be between 4-5 feet.

ryan78

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Avgeek1991 wrote:
NLINK wrote:

Inches or centimeters. If that's really in inches, that would be a bit of an understatement, as that would be between 4-5 feet.

That's most likely centimeters. Some areas of the GTA easily got 2-3 feet of snow though (60-90cm). They closed down the 2 major highways into the city, the Gardiner and DVP, for a few hours yesterday just to clear stranded cars and plow everything without obstructions. The schools are closed again today because many roads are still un-plowed. It's the most snow I've seen in many years in the area, I measured 75cm of accumulation in my backyard and the snowbanks in my driveway are almost 6 feet tall! I can only imagine the chaos it brought to YYZ & YTZ. I'm just glad I wasn't working yesterday. :lol:

Dominion301

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:10 pm

Avgeek1991 wrote:
NLINK wrote:

That’s centimetres. YYZ got 34 cm but some parts of the GTA got 60. YOW also got hammered with 48 cm but some parts of the National Capital Region (NCR) got as low as 30, white other parts got over 50.

YOW actually managed to squeeze out 13 departures yesterday. Would have been more, but not a single flight departed to YYZ yesterday. The last time that happened was the days after September 11. Porter though did manage to get a couple of flights out to YTZ.

Windsor & Sarnia got no snow.

FlapOperator

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:44 pm

Its a weird dynamic. Windsor and Sarnia often seem dryer than other cities in Ontario. I wonder if that is true or just confirmation bias.

Yeah, it was solid snow storm by GTA standards.

Seat1F

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:05 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
Its a weird dynamic. Windsor and Sarnia often seem dryer than other cities in Ontario. I wonder if that is true or just confirmation bias.

In Michigan on the border here right across from Ontario. My house to Toronto is normally a 3.5 hour drive (providing no delay crossing the bridge). We got zero snow here from this storm...yet Toronto got 3 feet? Yikes!

32andBelow

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:14 pm

These 2 RKSI-YYZ flights diverted way early yesterday. They went to Vancouver

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA ... /RKSI/CYVR

Whiteguy

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm

32andBelow wrote:
These 2 RKSI-YYZ flights diverted way early yesterday. They went to Vancouver

One B77W also diverted to YYC.

IrishAyes

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 pm

I know that Air Canada was flying multiple ICNYYZ frequencies, which continue onto mainland China. Is that still the case?

CXH

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:47 am

IrishAyes wrote:
I know that Air Canada was flying multiple ICNYYZ frequencies, which continue onto mainland China. Is that still the case?

Yes. Look at the two links provided by 32andBelow just above, and scroll down to history. China to Toronto and Montreal cargo flights are done via ICN for crew changes, due to cleaning requirements upon arrival in China. And maybe other logistical requirements.

ACA72xx and 73xx flights are cargo flights (mostly on pax aircraft, some of which have all Y seats removed).

IrishAyes

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:29 am

CXH wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

Yes. Look at the two links provided by 32andBelow just above, and scroll down to history. China to Toronto and Montreal cargo flights are done via ICN for crew changes, due to cleaning requirements upon arrival in China. And maybe other logistical requirements.

ACA72xx and 73xx flights are cargo flights (mostly on pax aircraft, some of which have all Y seats removed).

Ahh, thanks. So, these are Cargo flights, assuming there are a few pax on-board?

crosscheckyyz

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:09 am

Cargo only flights, although there are also separate pax flight to PVG/HKG from Canada via ICN.

This site might interest you from Air Canada
https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/shipping/routes-network/

IrishAyes wrote:
CXH wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

Ahh, thanks. So, these are Cargo flights, assuming there are a few pax on-board?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos