Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SlashingAx
Topic Author

Air India transfer to Tata complete

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:53 pm

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 156616.cms

Looks like ownership of Air India is transferring 100% from the Government of India to Tata Sons.

69 years after being nationalized, it's back to Tata ownership. Let's see what they do with it - it's going to be a tough road to recovery.

SXDFC

Re: Air India transfer to Tata complete

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:44 pm

I hope this also means a new livery is coming.. Definitely not a fan of the current one.

Breathe

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:12 pm

SlashingAx wrote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/air-india-officially-handed-over-to-tata-sons/articleshow/89156616.cms

Looks like ownership of Air India is transferring 100% from the Government of India to Tata Sons.

69 years after being nationalized, it's back to Tata ownership. Let's see what they do with it - it's going to be a tough road to recovery.

If Tata are truly allowed free reign without interference from the Government, then they could really breathe new life into the airline.

What will be interesting is to see if some form of integration of Vistara and Air India dependent with agreement with fellow Vistara shareholder Singapore Airlines. The A320neo/A321neo and 787 mainline fleets both share the same engines which is always a good start The leased 737s could be moved to Air India Express if they wanted to keep them. Obviously the cabins would need to be changed, but otherwise other than getting the Unions on board with undoubted job losses at some scale, Tata could be onto a winner with a potential sleeping giant of an airline group.

freqflyer

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:21 pm

Breathe wrote:
SlashingAx wrote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/air-india-officially-handed-over-to-tata-sons/articleshow/89156616.cms

If Tata are truly allowed free reign without interference from the Government, then they could really breathe new life into the airline.

The govt is 100% out of running Air India.
Now the regulator will be the only contact with the GoI.
OTOH, AI will not be able to influence govt policy in its favour.

golfradio

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:22 pm

SXDFC wrote:
I hope this also means a new livery is coming.. Definitely not a fan of the current one.

I wish they bring back the classic Centaur livery in some form.

manny

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:42 pm

I recently traveled AI in business class and the soft product was atrocious. The catering was awful and their excuse was its C19 causing it. I am already hearing they are bringing in enhanced catering menu. So I am sure it would be an upgrade.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:31 pm

Vistara service with AI branding. Done :)

portola2727

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:32 pm

Maybe more routes will come out of privatization as AI hopefully will have money to get new planes.

macsog6

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:19 pm

The Tata Group can be a formidable competitor when they decide to compete. They have acquired a great many other concerns ranging from Tetley Tea to Jaguar/Land Rover, and the deciding factor about what they will be able to do with AI may be highly dependant on the amount of capital the Group as a whole can generate. In any event, as a former resident of India and pax on AI, I can't see service being worse under Tata than it was under GOI control.

DTWLAX

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:57 am

SXDFC wrote:

This is probably not the first thing on their mind. They have other important issues to tackle with AI. But eventually yes, would like to see a change.

climbing230

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:32 am

The existing livery of AI is superb. Much better than LH or any other carriers with blue and white in vogue. The Centaur livery scheme is equally unique. Besides livery other aspects could be worked upon.
- Thanks.

smi0006

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 am

Good luck to them - going to be a tough culture to reform at AI, improve employee engagement, productivity, reduced admin and beaucracy burden. Shift the weight of government legacy. May have been cheaper to let AI die and invest in Vistara…. I hope they pull it off and we see AI emerge as a slick efficient and well run airline, they have the brand and reach to be a serious force within the industry.

747WanSui

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:54 am

SXDFC wrote:

Remember that the last time AI radically changed their livery in 1989, it resulted in a huge backlash from both the flying public and its own employees that the new livery was dropped after a couple of years. It seems to me that AI isn’t willing to go beyond minor tweaks around the edges for its livery after that episode.

reynan

Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:47 am

747WanSui wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

Remember that the last time AI radically changed their livery in 1989, it resulted in a huge backlash from both the flying public and its own employees that the new livery was dropped after a couple of years. It seems to me that AI isn’t willing to go beyond minor tweaks around the edges for its livery after that episode.

That was because it changed from the classic Centaur livery to something very bland and meh. Bring back the Centaur livery and there will be no complaints!

Ellofiend

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:59 am

SXDFC wrote:

IIRC, the existing logos are required to be retained for the next 5 years, although I believe this refers to all 6 registered logos and I am not sure if they are interchangeable for branding and such and if this extends to the livery itself

Spiderguy252

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:23 am

It will take the better part of this decade for AI to emerge as a true private airline.

LifelinerOne

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:41 am

Hi there,

if I recall correctly, Tata is going to run three airlines for now:

* Air India
* Air India Express (merging AirAsia India into it)
* Vistara

So far there's been no plan to merge Vistara with Air India. Which is interesting as they will be competing companies. So, I do expect things to change later on when the clause of maintaining the Air India-brand for 5 years expires.

Anyway, I wish them good luck!

Cheers!

oceanvikram

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:21 am

macsog6 wrote:
The Tata Group can be a formidable competitor when they decide to compete. They have acquired a great many other concerns ranging from Tetley Tea to Jaguar/Land Rover, and the deciding factor about what they will be able to do with AI may be highly dependant on the amount of capital the Group as a whole can generate. In any event, as a former resident of India and pax on AI, I can't see service being worse under Tata than it was under GOI control.

I agree however Tetley Tea, Jaguar/Land Rover and Corus Group (now TATA Steel Europe), TATA Group have left the management to Europeans. This IMHO has been critical to their success. I have worked with Indian managers from India here in Australia and have noticed that with clients and customers they have over promised and undelivered. In addition with their own teams especially of Indian decent (like myself) have the attitude that we owe them since they gave us a job and the culture became very toxic.

It should be noted that UK, AI and IX, are Indian flagged carries ie Indian businesses. AI's turn around can not be said the same for the likes of Tetley Tea, Jaguar/Land Rover and Corus Group due to different operating conditions, that is the Indian factor.

I still don't understand how did SQ allow this to go ahead or even I5. It has been discussed in other forums to death, but I am still not convinced. The only way I can think this can work is if AI is sandwich (in terms of product) between UK and I5. That is:
UK for the discerning customers who are willing to pay - Provide the service levels like ME3, AF, BA, LH, LX, CX, SQ, QF, NH, JL
AI for those who are want the full service but are not willing to pay - Provide the service levels like NZ, EI, AY
IX - LCC

For TATA Group to succeed with the above strategy for AI, they should poach the entire leadership team from ET.
Last edited by oceanvikram on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sfojvjets

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:22 am

LifelinerOne wrote:
Hi there,

* Air India
* Vistara

So far there's been no plan to merge Vistara with Air India. Which is interesting as they will be competing companies. So, I do expect things to change later on when the clause of maintaining the Air India-brand for 5 years expires.

Cheers!

When Tata does finally merge AI and UK, I imagine that the AI brand will live on, and the UK brand will eventually be scrapped (unless SQ has some kind of veto power).

IMO, the Air India brand has so much more history and potential for future greatness, versus the relative obscurity of the Vistara brand outside of India, despite UK's efforts at making themselves into a premium airline. I think of it kinda like Alitalia versus ITA: one brand is instantly recognizable worldwide and has its name on $400 designer sweaters, and the other is known for nothing other than its oddly-coloured metallic-blue aircraft.

Think of all the promotion and campaigns they could do: "the new Air India," "the glory is back," "India reimagined," etc. Maybe it's just my soft spot for AI's Maharaja mascot and their other iconic branding ;)

oceanvikram

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:35 am

sfojvjets wrote:
LifelinerOne wrote:
Hi there,

* Air India
* Vistara

Cheers!

When Tata does finally merge AI and UK, I imagine that the AI brand will live on, and the UK brand will eventually be scrapped (unless SQ has some kind of veto power).

IMO, the Air India brand has so much more history and potential for future greatness, versus the relative obscurity of the Vistara brand outside of India, despite UK's efforts at making themselves into a premium airline. I think of it kinda like Alitalia versus ITA: one brand is instantly recognizable worldwide and has its name on $400 designer sweaters, and the other is known for nothing other than its oddly-coloured metallic-blue aircraft.

Think of all the promotion and campaigns they could do: "the new Air India," "the glory is back," "India reimagined," etc. Maybe it's just my soft spot for AI's Maharaja mascot and their other iconic branding ;)

Why not ... it has been done before, China Airlines and Korean Air come to mind. But this is all go to do with 2 (off) big ifs:
1) SQ will allow UK to merge with AI
2) This one is a major one ... when China Airlines and Korean Air changed their image, their country's economic growth started to significantly spread to the common person. However in India, the common person has yet to own a smart phone, let alone read and write.

sfojvjets

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:59 am

oceanvikram wrote:
Why not ... it has been done before, China Airlines and Korean Air come to mind. But this is all go to do with 2 (off) big ifs:
1) SQ will allow UK to merge with AI
2) This one is a major one ... when China Airlines and Korean Air changed their image, their country's economic growth started to significantly spread to the common person. However in India, the common person has yet to own a smart phone, let alone read and write.

I think this is where my understanding of "the new Air India" diverges from others' understanding of the concept.

Personally, I envision the new AI reducing its narrowbody fleet by transferring that to a LCC subsidiary/sister airline, and investing more into appealing to the premium, longer-haul business & VFR traffic.

Now inherently, that premium traffic does not include the average Indian. However, with regards to your last point there, a simple google search tells me that India's literacy rate is 74%, 80-something for men and 60-something for women, and 54% of Indians own a smartphone.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/122 ... %20million.

Anyways, I see the new AI trying to capture VFR demand from the wealthy US and British expats who prefer nonstop service, rather than trying to compete with Indigo and appeal to the common person. This is why the merged airline created by AI Express/AirAsia India will stick around after the UK/AI merger since they both will serve completely different market segments.

freqflyer

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 am

oceanvikram wrote:
However in India, the common person has yet to own a smart phone, let alone read and write.

many more smartphones than you think. 600 million a few months ago, growing rapidly. you seem to be stuck with an old image of India.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 275402.cms

DIJKKIJK

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:10 am

portola2727 wrote:
Maybe more routes will come out of privatization as AI hopefully will have money to get new planes.

New planes should be the last thing on their mind right now. Other than a few of their A319s, and their lone flying 744, most of AI's aircraft are in the perfectly acceptable age group of 10-15 years. Airlines all over the world are flying even older frames and making money out of them. I can't understand this silly obsession with fleet renewal.

The thing AI really need to do is to refurbish their dated product on board their planes and improve their customer experience.

DIJKKIJK

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:13 am

freqflyer wrote:
oceanvikram wrote:
However in India, the common person has yet to own a smart phone, let alone read and write.

many more smartphones than you think. 600 million a few months ago, growing rapidly. you seem to be stuck with an old image of India.

LOL, It is quite common even to see vegetable vendors and autorikshaw drivers in India use whatsapp nowadays. Can't get more 'common man' than that.

atal17

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:27 am

DIJKKIJK wrote:
portola2727 wrote:

New planes should be the last thing on their mind right now. Other than a few of their A319s, and their lone flying 744, most of AI's aircraft are in the perfectly acceptable age group of 10-15 years. Airlines all over the world are flying even older frames and making money out of them. I can't understand this silly obsession with fleet renewal.

The thing AI really need to do is to refurbish their dated product on board their planes and improve their customer experience.

I agree - first and foremost, AI should now have the capital needed to refurbish their A319s/A321s/B777s/B787s.

The only new planes I can see TATA acquiring are the Airbus A320neo family (either for just AI/UK or including IX/I5) or the B737 MAX family (if IX/I5 don’t want to go the Airbus way)

sibibom

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:46 am

How can one not wish for this to succeed. There has been no history of a successful takeover of an ailing airline in India, who better than a TATA owned Air India to script a new story. Best of luck Tatas, the nation for for once is unitedly rooting for you.

A hybrid livery with Air India original logo(flying centaur, not the maharaja, and may vistara colours (maybe a royal Maroon as a compromise between Air India's red and Vistara's purple.....one can always dream until they come with a euro white livery.

Vicenza

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:03 am

oceanvikram wrote:

I still don't understand how did SQ allow this to go ahead or even I5. It has been discussed in other forums to death, but I am still not convinced. The only way I can think this can work is if AI is sandwich (in terms of product) between UK and I5. That is:
UK for the discerning customers who are willing to pay - Provide the service levels like ME3, AF, BA, LH, LX, CX, SQ, QF, NH, JL
AI for those who are want the full service but are not willing to pay - Provide the service levels like NZ, EI, AY
IX - LCC

Surely you are indeed seriously joking by including NZ in your second group!!

Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:10 pm

I recall reading somewhere that the Govt has prepaid the remaining lease amounts (and pre-payment penalties, etc) on the 21 leased 787s, which means that now TATAs own ALL the 27 787s (as well as 16 777s and most 320 series aircraft of Air-India) ... anyone aware if this is correct and as per the RFP ??

Also, the Govt was supposed to keep the 4 747s with themselves, but seems that those too have been handed over as well (anyways their depreciated value was 0 probably)

Thanks

kaitak

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:03 pm

I wish AI all the best and I really hope it succeeds; AI should be a much better - and much larger - carrier than it is currently. But before thinking about hardware - new aircraft, new interiors, new livery etc, they need to focus on their people and their morale. It's fair to say that commercial aviation is littered with examples of airline that used a new livery as their first (and sometimes - so it seemed - only) step in the "new us", forgetting about their product, the morale - and consequently buy-in - of their people. They have had many false starts, They have suffered from terrible inconsistency, capable of being VERY good one day, and VERY bad the other. Their people need to believe in its future.

On a note of levity, I can't help wondering about AI's last message to the GOI before privatisation: TTFN?!!

JayinKitsap

Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Has TATA assumed operational control yet? I'm interested to see what changes they do, it will be tricky to get productivity and morale of the workforce up. I suppose getting the planes running on time will be a big thing for their customers.

freqflyer

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:03 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
Has TATA assumed operational control yet? I'm interested to see what changes they do, it will be tricky to get productivity and morale of the workforce up. I suppose getting the planes running on time will be a big thing for their customers.

Yes, Tata has already taken operational control. They have a lot of experience in working with unions and only the really bad apples will be let go after a year ( The agreement with the Govt mandates no firings for 1 year from date of handover). Their letter to all employees stressed the customer experience and on time performance over all else. Choice of hot meals too.Grooming standards to be enforced. No more sloppiness. No more cabin crew in-fighting too, I hope.

Cardude2

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:24 am

DIJKKIJK wrote:
portola2727 wrote:

Ok here’s what there actually going to do https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/tatas ... 066882.htm

“ Next, the Tatas will have to upgrade the Air India fleet of 141 aircraft, which is a mix of narrow and wide-body Airbus and Boeing aircraft. Of these, only 118 will be handed over to the Tatas in fly-worthy
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet faces a severe shortage of parts and engines that have led to some of them lying unused. Before the pandemic in 2019, Air India had leased six aircraft engines from GE for its Dreamliners. However, those engines were returned as the fleet was grounded due to the COVID-19 lockdown.
AI also did not sign the contract for overhauling the 787 fleet with Boeing due to the funds crunch. The agreement needs to be signed immediately so that the fleet’s landing gear can be overhauled.
Similarly, the Tatas will have to revisit the maintenance contracts of engines, some of which are extremely costly. For example, Air India pays around $8 million every month for GE’s ‘on-point’ programme for the 787 fleet. When the payment stopped for the programme, servicing on engines was also halted.
The Tata are also likely to invest in upgrading the cabins.
Of its 70 Airbus fleet, Air India will hand over 58 in fly-worthy condition to the Tatas. Similar overhauling of engines would be required for these aircraft.
“The Tatas will have to take a decision on whether to continue with the A319 and older A320 aircraft or phase them out. The new generation aircraft (A320 Neos) are relatively fuel-efficient and are used by group airlines,” the source said.”

Cardude2

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 am

LifelinerOne wrote:
Hi there,

* Air India
* Vistara

Cheers!

You forgot they own airasia India

Cardude2

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:31 am

I don’t think they’re gonna make any big aircraft orders but I could see them having the 747-400’s and 777-200lr’s bite the dust, especially since only one of the 747 is in flyable condition.

DIJKKIJK

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:48 am

Cardude2 wrote:
DIJKKIJK wrote:
portola2727 wrote:

Ok here’s what there actually going to do https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/tatas ... 066882.htm

“ Next, the Tatas will have to upgrade the Air India fleet of 141 aircraft, which is a mix of narrow and wide-body Airbus and Boeing aircraft. Of these, only 118 will be handed over to the Tatas in fly-worthy
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet faces a severe shortage of parts and engines that have led to some of them lying unused. Before the pandemic in 2019, Air India had leased six aircraft engines from GE for its Dreamliners. However, those engines were returned as the fleet was grounded due to the COVID-19 lockdown.
AI also did not sign the contract for overhauling the 787 fleet with Boeing due to the funds crunch. The agreement needs to be signed immediately so that the fleet’s landing gear can be overhauled.
Similarly, the Tatas will have to revisit the maintenance contracts of engines, some of which are extremely costly. For example, Air India pays around $8 million every month for GE’s ‘on-point’ programme for the 787 fleet. When the payment stopped for the programme, servicing on engines was also halted.
The Tata are also likely to invest in upgrading the cabins.
Of its 70 Airbus fleet, Air India will hand over 58 in fly-worthy condition to the Tatas. Similar overhauling of engines would be required for these aircraft.
“The Tatas will have to take a decision on whether to continue with the A319 and older A320 aircraft or phase them out. The new generation aircraft (A320 Neos) are relatively fuel-efficient and are used by group airlines,” the source said.”

From the same article, before what you have selectively quoted.
"The salt-to-software conglomerate will first have to refinance Air India’s existing debts, rewrite multiple business contracts with vendors and suppliers and finally upgrade the aircraft, the sources said.".

Clearly, while buying new aircraft is on their plans, it certainly is not their priority.

DIJKKIJK

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:50 am

Cardude2 wrote:
I don’t think they’re gonna make any big aircraft orders but I could see them having the 747-400’s and 777-200lr’s bite the dust, especially since only one of the 747 is in flyable condition.

The LRs are making good money doing US-India nonstops. No need for them to go anywhere for the next 4-5 years.

The 747 will probably be scrapped soon.

rutankrd

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:01 am

DIJKKIJK wrote:
freqflyer wrote:
oceanvikram wrote:

LOL, It is quite common even to see vegetable vendors and autorikshaw drivers in India use whatsapp nowadays. Can't get more 'common man' than that.

The question in relation to travel is discretionary and disposable income levels across the wider middle classes and indeed upper working classes .

sibibom

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:52 am

Former British Airways CEO Alex Cruz likely to be Air India ..

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst

Things are moving into motion slowly but surely. Interesting choice, I am sure Old BA fans might hate him for "cheapening" their product. For Air India cost control is a good place to start .

GCT64

Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:50 pm

sibibom wrote:
Read more at:
Things are moving into motion slowly but surely. Interesting choice, I am sure Old BA fans might hate him for "cheapening" their product. For Air India cost control is a good place to start .

I think we all know from experience (certainly UK business travellers and BA employees do) that you don't get Alex Cruz if you want to improve service and your soft product, you get him if you want to cut costs.

Cardude2

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:56 pm

GCT64 wrote:
sibibom wrote:
Read more at:

I think we all know from experience (certainly UK business travellers and BA employees do) that you don't get Alex Cruz if you want to improve service and your soft product, you get him if you want to cut costs.

well, that, unfortunately, needs to happen here, but the product will also be improved. I have a gut feeling Vistara will merge with Air India and make the face value look good, but not sp much for the internals.

edealinfo

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:41 am

Cardude2 wrote:

the 777-200s are minting money on the non -stop India- US route and you want to cancel it? what gives?

edealinfo

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:44 am

GCT64 wrote:
sibibom wrote:
Read more at:

"To be sure, AI inflight meals and cabin crew have always bee .."

what's the meaning of the phrase "to be sure". could the sentence have meant the same even without it?

edealinfo

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:48 am

sibibom wrote:

Read more at:

so expect service to be downgraded? he cheapened BA tremendously. Flew Premium Economy in BA and Virgin Atlantic long haul and the difference was night and day.

BA inflight service in business is inferior to Lufthansa.

edealinfo

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:50 am

GCT64 wrote:
sibibom wrote:
Read more at:

The should have selected:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Mueller

Cardude2

Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:00 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

the 777-200s are minting money on the non -stop India- US route and you want to cancel it? what gives?

fleet simplification/cost cutting and no I don't want to cancel it. I don't think they will keep all their long haul services freeing up some 300ers or 788's. And to top it all off there is the possibility through cost cutting to merge with vistara (although we will need to wait for singapore's blessing) which then they would inherit a few 789's

Cardude2

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:01 pm

courtesy of JerseyFlyer in the a350 production thread:

Speculation about a major A350 order from Air India:

"According to media information, the Airbus A350 is at the top of the list of candidates, ahead of additional Boeing 787s. "I think they're considering an order for up to 30 aircraft," Rolls-Royce Asia-Pacific manager Chris Davie told Bloomberg about a possible size."

The apparent quote from RR lends some credibility to this.

https://www.aero.de/news-42262/Air-Indi ... -A350.html

Also here with less detail:

https://www.airlinerwatch.com/2022/03/a ... -with.html

I wonder if Airbus is trying to offload ex-QR frames already in its production system.

avier

Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 am

Air India has appointed Campbell Wilson, the previous head of low-cost airline Scoot, as the new chief executive officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD).
https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 91171.html

Interesting pick. He has the mammoth task of replacing most of AI fleet and possibly integrate Air India with one or more of the other TATA airlines, while working alongside unions and aged employees.

mercure1

Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Spiderguy252

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:15 am

mercure1 wrote:

Very corporate language - needs to be deciphered in concrete terms by somebody who can read through this better than me!

rutankrd

Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:47 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Very corporate language - needs to be deciphered in concrete terms by somebody who can read through this better than me!

Negatives
Redundancies, larges scale out sourcing of ancillaries, sustainability (how to bride suppliers with knock backs) a few token trees and perhaps a sponsored education programme and lower salaries poorer T&C for new starters

Positives
Refurbished/New hard product up front and in business, naff all for the masses indeed likely fare debundling and Buy on Board , baggage allowance reductions etc…..

Route expansion a focus on how many more ways Bangalore-SFO achievable via Star partners

Conceivable Air India focus on Delhi and US for long haul , whilst Vistara operate much out of Mumbai

Less interest is political pressure/lobbying of regional international services where volume may be high but yields in the toilet.

Financials

TATA will demand greater cost control and set challenging and defined targets towards profitability.

Maintenance
TATA will expect massively improved maintenance standards including that of spare parts inventories. ( May drive some group business towards India if that helps in the mid term)

All above comments designed to impact and modify long standing poor performance.

Personal opinion expect some industrial disruption soon before things change

Air India will be very different in two years time

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos