Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - February 2022

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:48 am

NTLDaz wrote:
EK413 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

I tend to agree. There really is no reason for Qantas to be flying to Broken Hill. They've never shown interest before.

Have you seen how much ZL charge on the BHQ route. The airfares are ridiculous & they deserve competition to provide alternatives.

I've flown ZL plenty of times on plenty of routes. 34 passengers with 2 pilots and a flight attendant doesn't lead to cheap fares. Let's not pretend QF are a benevolent organisation helping the good folk of Broken Hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been to BHQ and opted to travel via rail as the airfare couldn’t be justified so yeah REX can suck it up.

LoganTheBogan

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2022

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:40 am

There is plenty of business travel out of WGA and surrounds to BNE and most at the moment fly the connection with QF for the points and business treatment, unlike ZL which doesn't offer that to frequent flyers/business travellers.

So with that said, QFs WGA-BNE flights next month are slated to be very successful in the long run, and I've see the bookings so far and they're absolutely fantastic - a money making route for sure.

The problem with all that is ZL has no way to compete as the SAABs don't have the guts to pull the route off, so QF will absolutely hike the prices up on their route once people are done jollying around with their current promotional prices.

ZL has the connection available onto the 737, however with no frequent flyer program, it is likely to become less and less attractive for people flying WGA/ABX and surrounds to BNE, who will benefit from the +90 time saving by flying direct.

BNEFlyer

Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:52 pm

LoganTheBogan wrote:
There is plenty of business travel out of WGA and surrounds to BNE and most at the moment fly the connection with QF for the points and business treatment, unlike ZL which doesn't offer that to frequent flyers/business travellers.

So with that said, QFs WGA-BNE flights next month are slated to be very successful in the long run, and I've see the bookings so far and they're absolutely fantastic - a money making route for sure.

The problem with all that is ZL has no way to compete as the SAABs don't have the guts to pull the route off, so QF will absolutely hike the prices up on their route once people are done jollying around with their current promotional prices.

ZL has the connection available onto the 737, however with no frequent flyer program, it is likely to become less and less attractive for people flying WGA/ABX and surrounds to BNE, who will benefit from the +90 time saving by flying direct.

QF already fly BNE-ABX, so them adding the WGA route shows how much demand there must be in the region.

LoganTheBogan

Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:24 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:

QF already fly BNE-ABX, so them adding the WGA route shows how much demand there must be in the region.

I worked at ABX a few weeks ago and saw how good their BNE flights were and the airport staff love them too, so I've come back to WGA feeling very excited to be working on these flights.

smi0006

Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:41 am

LoganTheBogan wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:

I worked at ABX a few weeks ago and saw how good their BNE flights were and the airport staff love them too, so I've come back to WGA feeling very excited to be working on these flights.

Shout out to your enthusiasm for WGA and the region. It’s refreshing :) as someone working in international, it’s nice to be hearing the good news and growth coming from the regions we aren’t anywhere close to that same space yet.

I’ve mentioned it before but very excited for the future of regional air travel here, going to be some players who come and go, along with routes - but I think a lot will stick!

As a separate sidenote - anyone have any intel on when QF could reopen award bookings on EK/QR or BA? I note VA have reopens them on SQ. 600k points for a trip to Europe in July is mad!

xwb777

Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:22 am

Emirates goes double A380s to Sydney starting from March 02.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... 1644465521

RyanairGuru

Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:08 am

smi0006 wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:

Shout out to your enthusiasm for WGA and the region. It’s refreshing :) as someone working in international, it’s nice to be hearing the good news and growth coming from the regions we aren’t anywhere close to that same space yet.

I’ve mentioned it before but very excited for the future of regional air travel here, going to be some players who come and go, along with routes - but I think a lot will stick!

As a separate sidenote - anyone have any intel on when QF could reopen award bookings on EK/QR or BA? I note VA have reopens them on SQ. 600k points for a trip to Europe in July is mad!

They’re open now, although you may have to call. If the partner airline has award availability then you should be able to book it.

In my experience the Qantas website is less than useless for finding partner award availability. I would strongly recommend signing up for BA Executive Club, use the BA website to search for flights, and then call Qantas to tell them what flights you want to book. Once signed into a BA account you can search for award flights even if you have 0 points. I’ve never once accrued a point to BA, but find it a very useful account to have to circumvent the deficiencies with the Qantas website.

zkncj

Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:18 am

For Melbourne spotters, ZK-OKQ (All Black 77W) is due into MEL late tomorrow morning as NZ1121.

Was meant to arrive today, but has been delayed by 24hrs.

Apart from OKQ test flight on Tuesday, it’s first trip in over 600 days having flown its last flight in March 2020 from MEL-AKL.

anstar

Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:55 am

RyanairGuru wrote:

In my experience the Qantas website is less than useless for finding partner award availability. I would strongly recommend signing up for BA Executive Club, use the BA website to search for flights, and then call Qantas to tell them what flights you want to book. Once signed into a BA account you can search for award flights even if you have 0 points. I’ve never once accrued a point to BA, but find it a very useful account to have to circumvent the deficiencies with the Qantas website.

Your being very generous! The QF website is rubbish for award searches. The only thing worse is the Cape Town call centre where they just love to cut you off if they cant deal with the request!

Chipmunk1973

Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:22 am

I was thinking about the QF order for the A321 and the A223.

The A321, in its various iterations, seems like a practicable fit for several routes. I would surmise that it could perform well within the BNE-SYD-MEL triangle, as well as on longer and thin international routes.

But the A223 seems like quite a capacity upgrade in terms of being a 717 replacement. The current 717 fleet operate in two configs that I am aware: (1) 12J+98Y [110], (2) 125Y [125]. According to Wikipedia (Yes I know, not the most reliable, but I think it's a fair reference), the A223 will seat 120-150pax.

So I guess my questions are:
A) Will A223 services be operated as QF, and not QFLink?
B) What routes would these jets most likely service? (Off the top of my head, I feel HBA may be a contender).
C) What is the chance of QF ordering the A221? Personally, I could see this happening.

Cheers.

kriskim

Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:33 am

QF won’t operate the A220, simply because mainline is too expensive. It’s a lot cheaper to let Eastern Airlines etc… to operate the flights. Same reason why Network will continue operating A320’s even when mainline will get their own A320 family planes.

NZ516

Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:41 pm

Air NZ will be back flying to Australia with 15 Tasman routes to return by July.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/300 ... nal-routes

zkncj

Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:41 pm

kriskim wrote:
QF won’t operate the A220, simply because mainline is too expensive. It’s a lot cheaper to let Eastern Airlines etc… to operate the flights. Same reason why Network will continue operating A320’s even when mainline will get their own A320 family planes.

That is assuming that the A321’s ordered for QF are operated by mainline, it’s still an little while off before first delivery.

They could still end up operated by Network etc, the unions won’t like it but wouldn’t say the door is completely closed.

I’m sure the accountants, would love it it network operated them.

EK413

Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:35 pm

zkncj wrote:
For Melbourne spotters, ZK-OKQ (All Black 77W) is due into MEL late tomorrow morning as NZ1121.

Was meant to arrive today, but has been delayed by 24hrs.

Apart from OKQ test flight on Tuesday, it’s first trip in over 600 days having flown its last flight in March 2020 from MEL-AKL.

Off tropics but read NZ are returning their moth balled fleet of B777’s to service due to their B789 paint flaking issues.

SCFlyer

Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:32 am

The Queensland Government in partnership with the 4 major airports (BNE, OOL, CNS and MCY) has teamed up to provide $200million towards the Aviation Interest Attraction Fund (AIAF), the airports will contribute $25 million each.

Those funds will be used to attract and/or partly subsidise international airlines starting up (or restarting) at any of the four Queensland airports.

Free Article (Similar articles are paywalled at the usual sources).
https://www.mygc.com.au/200-million-dea ... ts-to-qld/

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:14 am

Former VA 332 XFD has departed MEL today heading to MCT

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHXF ... /YMML/OOMS

tullamarine

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:18 am

SCFlyer wrote:
The Queensland Government in partnership with the 4 major airports (BNE, OOL, CNS and MCY) has teamed up to provide $200million towards the Aviation Interest Attraction Fund (AIAF), the airports will contribute $25 million each.

Those funds will be used to attract and/or partly subsidise international airlines starting up (or restarting) at any of the four Queensland airports.

Free Article (Similar articles are paywalled at the usual sources).
https://www.mygc.com.au/200-million-dea ... ts-to-qld/

$25M would be a lot for MCY compared with the financial impact it would have on BNE. To treat all the airports the same seems strange particularly as MCY really only can host flights from New Zealand anyway.

jrfspa320

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:34 am

qf789 wrote:

Are there any others still left, there is 1 still grounded in PER at least?

tullamarine

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:42 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I wonder if it is actually heading to Muscat or if that is just a refuel stop on the way to Europe somewhere, probably the latter.

Is the A332 in PER the one that is actually damaged following a heavy landing over 2 years ago with disagreement as to how it can be transported to an Airbus maintenance facility as it will need to fly with landing gear extended and CASA has knocked that request back?

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:51 am

tullamarine wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I wonder if it is actually heading to Muscat or if that is just a refuel stop on the way to Europe somewhere, probably the latter.

Is the A332 in PER the one that is actually damaged following a heavy landing over 2 years ago with disagreement as to how it can be transported to an Airbus maintenance facility as it will need to fly with landing gear extended and CASA has knocked that request back?

Yes XFE was the one with the landing gear damage

XFD will probably end up somewhere like Tereul so agree MCT is more a tech stop

tullamarine

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:02 am

qf789 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

XFD will probably end up somewhere like Tereul so agree MCT is more a tech stop

The lessor of XFE must be thrilled that it has a very expensive asset stranded in PER. Since the airline went into administration, it will have been paid nothing from VA but they can't get it repaired because ir needs to go to an Airbus maintenance facility, not sure if this is SIN or has to be back in Europe. The only saving grace is that the widebody lease market is stuffed so there is little chance it would have found a new lessee anyway.

BNEFlyer

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:41 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

The A321, in its various iterations, seems like a practicable fit for several routes. I would surmise that it could perform well within the BNE-SYD-MEL triangle, as well as on longer and thin international routes.

But the A223 seems like quite a capacity upgrade in terms of being a 717 replacement. The current 717 fleet operate in two configs that I am aware: (1) 12J+98Y [110], (2) 125Y [125]. According to Wikipedia (Yes I know, not the most reliable, but I think it's a fair reference), the A223 will seat 120-150pax.

B) What routes would these jets most likely service? (Off the top of my head, I feel HBA may be a contender).
C) What is the chance of QF ordering the A221? Personally, I could see this happening.

Cheers.

For comparison, AC's A223's have 12J/125Y and DL's have 12J/30Y+/88Y. AF has 148 Y/J seats, LX and Air Baltic have 145 Y/J, KE has 140 Y seats.

So the A223 would be a bit larger than the 717 for QF but not hugely.

RyanairGuru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:46 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:

Cheers.

For comparison, AC's A223's have 12J/125Y and DL's have 12J/30Y+/88Y. AF has 148 Y/J seats, LX and Air Baltic have 145 Y/J, KE has 140 Y seats.

So the A223 would be a bit larger than the 717 for QF but not hugely.

12/125 seems like a very good guide of what a hypothetical QF configuration would look like. These frames would be perfect for CBR, HBA and some thin transcons (I’m thinking the likes of BNE-BME, PER-HBA etc.)

AdvancedBikkie

Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:00 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

Cheers.

I've been talking to my only avgeek friend about this: it seems that, although not a perfect fit, the A223 will replace not just the 717, but also the 738's lower demand routes to a certain extent - the A321 is not just replacing the 738's higher demand routes, but creating an entirely different category for itself in the QF fleet (the lower end of the middle of the market).

Qantas has never had 757s, and I don't know why. I think they'd be perfect for QF's fleet, especially back in the 80s when QF could only go int'l. It would have perfectly served low-demand routes. Routes like KUL, routes like BKK, which have a decent, albeit relatively small, demand. I see the XLRs being used for this purpose.

I think that short, thin routes like PER-ADL, ADL-HBA, AKL-HBA, would be great for the A223, and it could even open up int'l routes
from ADL/PER when the border reopens, because QF, even pre-COVID, didn't realise that these cities had airports that were capable of international flights.

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Will A223 services be operated as QF, and not QFLink?

In the promotional materials, the A223s were in Qantas colours, not QantasLink. Now, that may not be the most accurate judgement, because that can change, but that's what I can find right now.

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

I can too. I think they'll be QantasLink aircraft, though.

AdvancedBikkie

Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:10 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
12/125 seems like a very good guide of what a hypothetical QF configuration would look like. These frames would be perfect for CBR, HBA and some thin transcons (I’m thinking the likes of BNE-BME, PER-HBA etc.)

I actually don't think that'll be what they go for. Remember, the 738 already only has 8J. The A223 would probably service the leisure market more than the business market. To use your examples, because they're pretty representative of the routes I think will end up being serviced, BNE-BME or PER-HBA aren't particularly big on business travel. It's being fed by only one end.

ben175

Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:37 am

AdvancedBikkie wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I actually don't think that'll be what they go for. Remember, the 738 already only has 8J. The A223 would probably service the leisure market more than the business market. To use your examples, because they're pretty representative of the routes I think will end up being serviced, BNE-BME or PER-HBA aren't particularly big on business travel. It's being fed by only one end.

QF has 12 J seats on all 738 aircraft. VA has 8.

AdvancedBikkie

Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:08 pm

ben175 wrote:
AdvancedBikkie wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

QF has 12 J seats on all 738 aircraft. VA has 8.

You're right. I got confused, sorry.

zeke

Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:51 pm

tullamarine wrote:

The lessor of XFE must be thrilled that it has a very expensive asset stranded in PER. Since the airline went into administration, it will have been paid nothing from VA but they can't get it repaired because ir needs to go to an Airbus maintenance facility, not sure if this is SIN or has to be back in Europe. The only saving grace is that the widebody lease market is stuffed so there is little chance it would have found a new lessee anyway.

Replacing gear is relatively simple, it can be taken off and overhauled and replaced, or an overhauled gear that came from another aircraft installed. Not sure why you say it needs to go to Airbus , should be able to be done in any hanger that has jacks large enough to support an A330.

rtav

Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:56 am

zeke wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Replacing gear is relatively simple, it can be taken off and overhauled and replaced, or an overhauled gear that came from another aircraft installed. Not sure why you say it needs to go to Airbus , should be able to be done in any hanger that has jacks large enough to support an A330.

Problem is, Perth has no such hangar to support an A330. Recently one of the engines was also removed so not sure what’s going on there with that.

zeke

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:34 am

rtav wrote:
Problem is, Perth has no such hangar to support an A330. Recently one of the engines was also removed so not sure what’s going on there with that.

The big blue one will be just fine

LTEN11

Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:00 am

zeke wrote:
rtav wrote:

Tell that to the owners, it's been there 2 years now so something must be up.

smi0006

Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:29 am

AdvancedBikkie wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:

Cheers.

I've been talking to my only avgeek friend about this: it seems that, although not a perfect fit, the A223 will replace not just the 717, but also the 738's lower demand routes to a certain extent - the A321 is not just replacing the 738's higher demand routes, but creating an entirely different category for itself in the QF fleet (the lower end of the middle of the market).

Qantas has never had 757s, and I don't know why. I think they'd be perfect for QF's fleet, especially back in the 80s when QF could only go int'l. It would have perfectly served low-demand routes. Routes like KUL, routes like BKK, which have a decent, albeit relatively small, demand. I see the XLRs being used for this purpose.

I think that short, thin routes like PER-ADL, ADL-HBA, AKL-HBA, would be great for the A223, and it could even open up int'l routes
from ADL/PER when the border reopens, because QF, even pre-COVID, didn't realise that these cities had airports that were capable of international flights.

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Will A223 services be operated as QF, and not QFLink?

In the promotional materials, the A223s were in Qantas colours, not QantasLink. Now, that may not be the most accurate judgement, because that can change, but that's what I can find right now.

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

I could see the A220 being quiet useful across the Tasman too; MEL/BNE-WLG,ZQN, ADL-AKL, CBR-AKL. Could the A220 make BNE-APW? Or DRW-SIN?

I could also see some exciting opportunities for the A220 out of some smaller ports where the 717 has never had the range. Maybe beef up frequency and connectivity out of NTL/OOL/MCY frequency maybe by the time they arrive demand will be there for PER?

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:21 am

qf789 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

XFD will probably end up somewhere like Teruel so agree MCT is more a tech stop

XFD now positioning to Teruel (TEV) from MCT for storage

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-xfd

AdvancedBikkie

Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:24 am

smi0006 wrote:
Could the A220 make BNE-APW? Or DRW-SIN?

Definitely. Just out of my home airport, PER, it can reach cities like CMB, HKG, and BKK.

smi0006 wrote:
I could also see some exciting opportunities for the A220 out of some smaller ports where the 717 has never had the range. Maybe beef up frequency and connectivity out of NTL/OOL/MCY frequency maybe by the time they arrive demand will be there for PER?

Yeah, and they could even compete with the VA BME partnership, making BME an international airport.

I think by Q3/Q4 22, when it comes to travel, Australia will be relatively similar to pre-COVID. Sure, there'll probably be a couple of restrictions, but apart from that, I think everything's going to be fine.

SIGWX

Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:02 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

I can too. I think they'll be QantasLink aircraft, though.[/quote]

Whoever operates the A223 will also operate the A221 if ordered, one pilot qualification allows operation of both types and while Qantas Group does separate employee workgroups across the same type (A320 across Jetstar, Network and Freight), they are different missions. The A220 family will be operating identical missions: point to point flying with a business class cabin.

I could see the A220 being quiet useful across the Tasman too; MEL/BNE-WLG,ZQN, ADL-AKL, CBR-AKL. Could the A220 make BNE-APW? Or DRW-SIN?

I could also see some exciting opportunities for the A220 out of some smaller ports where the 717 has never had the range. Maybe beef up frequency and connectivity out of NTL/OOL/MCY frequency maybe by the time they arrive demand will be there for PER?[/quote]

The A220 is capable of far longer flights with its quoted 3600nm range. Routes such as Sydney-Rarotonga, anywhere in Australia to anywhere in NZ subject to runway limits, Cairns to South Korea, Shanghai and most of Japan as well as Singapore. Darwin is reachable from any of the places mentioned for Cairns, as well as from Beijing and possibly Kolkata. Whether Qantas Group chooses to operate those routes is another question.

NTLDaz

Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:23 am

SIGWX wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:

Whoever operates the A223 will also operate the A221 if ordered, one pilot qualification allows operation of both types and while Qantas Group does separate employee workgroups across the same type (A320 across Jetstar, Network and Freight), they are different missions. The A220 family will be operating identical missions: point to point flying with a business class cabin.

I could also see some exciting opportunities for the A220 out of some smaller ports where the 717 has never had the range. Maybe beef up frequency and connectivity out of NTL/OOL/MCY frequency maybe by the time they arrive demand will be there for PER?[/quote]

The A220 is capable of far longer flights with its quoted 3600nm range. Routes such as Sydney-Rarotonga, anywhere in Australia to anywhere in NZ subject to runway limits, Cairns to South Korea, Shanghai and most of Japan as well as Singapore. Darwin is reachable from any of the places mentioned for Cairns, as well as from Beijing and possibly Kolkata. Whether Qantas Group chooses to operate those routes is another question.[/quote]

NTL could be of interest for something other than the normal destinations. Prior to everything going to hell in a handbasket JQ had started ( or were about to start - can't recall ) Cairns and QF are starting Adelaide next month. Also, there was the VA seasonal Auckland.

VHOGU

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:11 pm

LTEN11 wrote:
zeke wrote:
rtav wrote:

Tell that to the owners, it's been there 2 years now so something must be up.

There’s structural damage to this aircraft I heard. It’s not just a gear change it requires.

Sylus

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:42 am

Expect a big announcement tommorow for australian aviation regarding a new carrier

smi0006

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:52 am

Sylus wrote:
Expect a big announcement tommorow for australian aviation regarding a new carrier
[photoid][/photoid]

Ohh exciting! I assume a foreign carrier flying into AU? Surely not another AU start up... Or are we going to hear where Bonza is off too?

Don't suppose we get a hint?

VHVOZ

Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:19 am

smi0006 wrote:
Sylus wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]

Ohh exciting! I assume a foreign carrier flying into AU? Surely not another AU start up... Or are we going to hear where Bonza is off too?

Don't suppose we get a hint?

I was thinking perhaps this mob????

Koala Air

Formed on 23 April, 1970, the company celebrated its 50th Birthday in 2020. The Air Operator's Certificate (AOC) issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority is #CASA.TAAOC.0088.

An experienced management team has been appointed to implement the new business strategy. The AOC is being upgraded to a "High Capacity" Regular Public Transport (RPT) operation.

Tdan

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:35 am

Sylus wrote:

Has to be Bonza’s base. If so, my guess is MCY. Only real contested catchment in Australia with enough hotel rooms to stimulate traffic and fill a MAX.

SCFlyer

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:06 am

Tdan wrote:
Sylus wrote:

Has to be Bonza’s base. If so, my guess is MCY. Only real contested catchment in Australia with enough hotel rooms to stimulate traffic and fill a MAX.

On a side note: MCY had opened their new runway in mid 2020, which can now take widebodies of up to A330/B787s in case of emergencies or the occasional charters without payload penalties. Also has RNAV enabled on both 13 and 31.

Saying that, MCY also has a catchment area in the Moreton Bay region and the far northern suburbs of Brisbane as an alternative to MCY. Some more opportunities there for LCCs such as Bonza.

IndianicWorld

Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:03 pm

SCFlyer wrote:
Tdan wrote:
Sylus wrote:

On a side note: MCY had opened their new runway in mid 2020, which can now take widebodies of up to A330/B787s in case of emergencies or the occasional charters without payload penalties. Also has RNAV enabled on both 13 and 31.

Saying that, MCY also has a catchment area in the Moreton Bay region and the far northern suburbs of Brisbane as an alternative to MCY. Some more opportunities there for LCCs such as Bonza.

MCY makes some sense, but it still comes down to how many viable opportunities there are to tap into with a 737 sized aircraft.

MCY is a market that already has good connections to the major cities, with only Perth, Darwin and Hobart not having service. There are very limited opportunities with the ability to handle a 737, which creates barriers to entry in many cases where the model may have had some potential to work.

a320fan

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:33 pm

Media reports are coming out now that Bonza will be based in MCY with a second base in MEL. Planned destinations the airline will initially service in its ‘first stage’ are Avalon, Albury, Bundaberg, Cairns, Coffs Harbour, Gladstone, Mackay, Mildura, Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Townsville and Whitsunday Coast.

Routes will be operated 2-5x weekly with pricing comparable to JQ.

IndianicWorld

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:53 pm

I had thought AVV could well be on the radar for them, as their airport management have talked about new domestic routes on the horizon.

Given the track record of keeping services there it will be interesting to watch though (JQ have operated with a Vic govt deal at AVV, TT came and went quickly), but interesting that it appears that it will likely fly to both MEL and AVV based on the reports.

I must say I have significant doubts they can make this model work, but good luck to them on the journey ahead.

tsurumaru

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:56 pm

Some more detail about Bonza:

12 routes, 37 flights per week from MCY.
8 routes and 22 flights a week from MEL.

5 aircraft operational by October, flying a total of 25 routes.

https://amp.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 59w9v.html

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:05 pm

a320fan wrote:
Media reports are coming out now that Bonza will be based in MCY with a second base in MEL. Planned destinations the airline will initially service in its ‘first stage’ are Avalon, Albury, Bundaberg, Cairns, Coffs Harbour, Gladstone, Mackay, Mildura, Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Townsville and Whitsunday Coast.

Routes will be operated 2-5x weekly with pricing comparable to JQ.

Please provide a source in future

https://australianaviation.com.au/2022/ ... tinations/

According to this article first 737MAX will arrive in May and will have 5 by October, so taking around 1 a month

Routes include

MCY-ABX, 2 weekly
MCY-AVV, 3 weekly
MCY-CNS, 5 weekly
MCY-CFS, 2 weekly
MCY-MKY, 3 weekly
MCY-MEL, 4 weekly
MCY-MQL, 2 weekly
MCY-NTL, 4 weekly
MCY-PQQ, 2 weekly
MCY-ROK, 3 weekly
MCY-TSV, 4 weekly
MCY-PPP, 3 weekly
MEL-BDB, 2 weekly
MEL-GLT, 2 weekly
MEL-MKY, 2 weekly
MEL-MQL, 3 weekly
MEL-PQQ, 2 weekly
MEL-ROK, 3 weekly
MEL-WTB, 4 weekly
NTL-PPP, 2 weekly
PPP-WTB, 2 weekly
ROK-CNS, 4 weekly
ROK-TSV, 3 weekly
MKY-CNS, 2 weekly
TSB-WTB, 2 weekly

LoganTheBogan

Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:19 pm

ABX will be interesting. They have very tight ramp space there. When I was working there a few weeks ago they were discussing the difficulties accomodating a 737 that’s fully loaded with their current infrastructure so perhaps a work around was found or an agreement was met.

I know they approached my airport (WGA) but it was a polite decline as there’s no way we could take even a lightly loaded 737.

IndianicWorld

Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:25 pm

^^ Some very interesting routes there. I seem to recall TT also starting out with some similar routes out of MEL but quickly changed course.

They have seemingly also chosen a few extra routes that more than likely will fit into an operating pattern from aircraft from either of the 2 bases initially.

MEL-WTB 4 x weekly with a 737 when Air North has already been operating the route will be very interesting to watch.

Still find it interesting that they did choose to split its offering across MEL and AVV, but it does give the later a new destination at least. I was expecting more of a base at AVV instead, but MEL makes sense.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:30 pm

A bill was introduced in Federal parliament today proposing a curfew (2200-600) for BNE. The bill also includes a limit of 45 flights per hour

https://australianaviation.com.au/2022/ ... rt-curfew/

Limiting to 45 flights per hour seems low, SYD is at 80 per hour.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos