Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Chuska

Re: United States Essential Air Service (EAS) Thread

Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:34 am

Based on Alex's last update (#624), Contour is recommended at six more cities (CGI, CKB, TBN, LWB, PAH, and SHD) plus they've already been awarded OGS and PBG. That's a lot of expansion for LF, hope they can handle it.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:10 am

Chuska wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Altoona wants to go with Contour. Looks like Boutique will be going down to just 3 EAS contracts and 5 total routes

That came a bit out of left field! That being said, Altoona is arguably a healthier market than Johnstown (population wise anyway). So good for them.

Boutique has Pendleton coming up soon and I reckon they'll have a fight to keep that one. They serve PDX, and Southern is in growth mode and has an interline with AS. Boutique doesn't.

If Boutique loses PDT, that leaves only CNM and MSS. MSS comes up next Mar 31 but CNM got royally suckered into a four-year contract last year. And CNM seems to take all of 4B's delays and cancellations in stride, I've never seen a community so unconcerned about their air service. They may be the only contract 4B gets to stay alive.

Being the devil's advocate here, but if Boutique can get their act together operationally, it's not necessarily a bad option. The PC12 is a great aircraft. I'd rather fly that than a Cessna, it's a much nicer experience. We'll see if Southern offers it at PDT.

I would have thought they have a decent shot at keeping MSS. The airport is not certified for jets so that reduces the number of carriers who can apply and levels the playing field. Probably the only wildcard is if Cape Air comes in and offers JFK. That could be a game changer.

CNM, I can't help thinking come 2025, the jet operators will be sniffing around. That's a market ripe for an upgrade. The population has exploded between the censuses and it's showing no sign of slowing down. There will come a point when it can support a small jet, if it doesn't already.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:38 am

Chuska wrote:
Based on Alex's last update (#624), Contour is recommended at six more cities (CGI, CKB, TBN, LWB, PAH, and SHD) plus they've already been awarded OGS and PBG. That's a lot of expansion for LF, hope they can handle it.

You can add AOO to that list.

They have a significant charter operation so, unlike some of the other carriers, they're not a one trick EAS pony. That gives them a degree of flexibility most of the others don't have. Consolidating operations at 3 hubs (PHL, CLT, and BNA) will also help them scale up.

Gulfstream500

Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:52 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Chuska wrote:

They have a significant charter operation so, unlike some of the other carriers, they're not a one trick EAS pony. That gives them a degree of flexibility most of the others don't have. Consolidating operations at 3 hubs (PHL, CLT, and BNA) will also help them scale up.

This is purely speculation, but one thing I am wondering based on their route map is whether they will continue to serve MCN though BWI, or if they’ll start flying MCN-CLT instead. Since they will be serving several EAS routes out of CLT, it doesn’t make much sense for them to overfly CLT. Or, maybe they could do 5x weekly to BWI, and 7x weekly to CLT for some variety.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:31 pm

I never understood MCN-BWI in the first place.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:47 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Chuska wrote:

This is purely speculation, but one thing I am wondering based on their route map is whether they will continue to serve MCN though BWI, or if they’ll start flying MCN-CLT instead. Since they will be serving several EAS routes out of CLT, it doesn’t make much sense for them to overfly CLT. Or, maybe they could do 5x weekly to BWI, and 7x weekly to CLT for some variety.

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
I never understood MCN-BWI in the first place.

I gather local businesses are keen on a direct link to DC. So I don't think BWI is going away, not in the short term anyway.

But yeah, I guess a second hub is always possible. CLT would give them access to DCA, which is arguably worth the trade-off of a non-stop. They'd probably want to wait until the market is fully recovered from Covid before they try that out though. They don't want to overstretch themselves.

FlyingElvii

Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:16 am

Macon is largely a government to DC market. LF is running nearly full everyday, and has been for quite a while.
There was some chatter about moving it to IAD, instead of BWI before Covid. If anything, they’re would want to run a third, but that would require a second daily crew.

Chuska

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:39 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
Chuska wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

That came a bit out of left field! That being said, Altoona is arguably a healthier market than Johnstown (population wise anyway). So good for them.

Boutique has Pendleton coming up soon and I reckon they'll have a fight to keep that one. They serve PDX, and Southern is in growth mode and has an interline with AS. Boutique doesn't.

If Boutique loses PDT, that leaves only CNM and MSS. MSS comes up next Mar 31 but CNM got royally suckered into a four-year contract last year. And CNM seems to take all of 4B's delays and cancellations in stride, I've never seen a community so unconcerned about their air service. They may be the only contract 4B gets to stay alive.

Being the devil's advocate here, but if Boutique can get their act together operationally, it's not necessarily a bad option. The PC12 is a great aircraft. I'd rather fly that than a Cessna, it's a much nicer experience. We'll see if Southern offers it at PDT.

I would have thought they have a decent shot at keeping MSS. The airport is not certified for jets so that reduces the number of carriers who can apply and levels the playing field. Probably the only wildcard is if Cape Air comes in and offers JFK. That could be a game changer.

CNM, I can't help thinking come 2025, the jet operators will be sniffing around. That's a market ripe for an upgrade. The population has exploded between the censuses and it's showing no sign of slowing down. There will come a point when it can support a small jet, if it doesn't already.

CNM already did have DAC court them last year with jets at about the same subsidy that 4B gets. Can't understand for the life of me why CNM stuck with 4B. Ironically, DAC has been running an APA-CNM-APA charter every Tuesday morning and another company, Swiflite?, runs IAH-MAF-CNM r/t with an E175 (N1920T) usually twice per week. I'm sure that's all oil related but it really tells something about CNM.

BangersAndMash

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:04 am

Chuska wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Chuska wrote:

CNM already did have DAC court them last year with jets at about the same subsidy that 4B gets. Can't understand for the life of me why CNM stuck with 4B. Ironically, DAC has been running an APA-CNM-APA charter every Tuesday morning and another company, Swiflite?, runs IAH-MAF-CNM r/t with an E175 (N1920T) usually twice per week. I'm sure that's all oil related but it really tells something about CNM.

Well 4B may not get to the end of their 4-year contract, of course. They don't seem very good at budgeting! If oil prices stay where they are, it could push them over the edge. If that happens, they're toast. CNM isn't going to stick with them then.

WA707atMSP

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:37 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Chuska wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Well 4B may not get to the end of their 4-year contract, of course. They don't seem very good at budgeting! If oil prices stay where they are, it could push them over the edge. If that happens, they're toast. CNM isn't going to stick with them then.

If Boutique Air does go Tango Uniform before the end of the contract, I think CNM would be a natural addition for Advanced Air, because Advanced Air already has a presence at ABQ.

It won't happen, but wouldn't it be nice if Advanced Air got the contract, then scheduled a DFW-CNM-ABQ-SVC-PHX-HHR through flight? That would be a FUN flight to take!

FlyingElvii

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 am

Cardude2 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

Delta still would have the E175s, CRJ900s, and a handful of CRJ700s, and I haven’t seen any official news of DL dumping OO entirely.

Maybe OO could bid 1x daily on a CRJ900 or CRJ700, considering that it would offer more than double the capacity of their part 135 flights, but is still under the capacity of two regularly configured CRJ200s. If I were in an EAS city, I’d take a lower frequency in exchange for a DL or UA brand.

Nor has DL even said anything since early in COVID about dumping the 200's like they planned. Just like how the 717 is magically back in numbers way higher than announced. If they can find the pilots, the 200 will be around long after 2023 at DL...

And that's a big thing "If they can find the pilots". Either way, they have been greatly reducing their CRJ 200 fleet as of late and the Skywest crj 200s (which is what I was talking about not OO as a whole with delta) operating for delta are (last I checked) on at-risk unlike any other at Delta Connection. They have gone back on their plans of 763, 752, and 717 retirements but have yet to go back in their CR2 retirement plans, it's just most likely been delayed to 2025. There was a theory in the delta forums that the 717 re-activation was to retire the CR2, although that's a theory. MY guess is delta will probably do the trickle down way that united is going to retire their CR2 with there A321NEO's and the rumored MAX 10 order.

The last CR2’s were built in 2007, much of the fleet is over 20 years old. The fleet is getting OLD, and good engines are getting scarce.
They cost a lot to maintain due to a number of issues, including the lack of manufacturers support.

Compare that to the EMB 145…
Last built in 2017, still has Manufacturer engineering support and parts flow. Engines, while not plentiful, are widely available, even for short-term rental, and can still be bought new. Several modern upgrade packages available and a bunch have already been converted to VIP.

The line still exists, and Embrear will happily build more, if someone wants them. Cheaper to maintain than the CRJ, a large part of that is the way manufacturers service bulletins are classified.

Cardude2

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:51 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Nor has DL even said anything since early in COVID about dumping the 200's like they planned. Just like how the 717 is magically back in numbers way higher than announced. If they can find the pilots, the 200 will be around long after 2023 at DL...

And that's a big thing "If they can find the pilots". Either way, they have been greatly reducing their CRJ 200 fleet as of late and the Skywest crj 200s (which is what I was talking about not OO as a whole with delta) operating for delta are (last I checked) on at-risk unlike any other at Delta Connection. They have gone back on their plans of 763, 752, and 717 retirements but have yet to go back in their CR2 retirement plans, it's just most likely been delayed to 2025. There was a theory in the delta forums that the 717 re-activation was to retire the CR2, although that's a theory. MY guess is delta will probably do the trickle down way that united is going to retire their CR2 with there A321NEO's and the rumored MAX 10 order.

The last CR2’s were built in 2007, much of the fleet is over 20 years old. The fleet is getting OLD, and good engines are getting scarce.
They cost a lot to maintain due to a number of issues, including the lack of manufacturers support.

Compare that to the EMB 145…
Last built in 2017, still has Manufacturer engineering support and parts flow. Engines, while not plentiful, are widely available, even for short-term rental, and can still be bought new. Several modern upgrade packages available and a bunch have already been converted to VIP.

The line still exists, and Embrear will happily build more, if someone wants them. Cheaper to maintain than the CRJ, a large part of that is the way manufacturers service bulletins are classified.

yeah but don't they have weight an balance issues limiting them to 40 seats which hurts there operating cost since there not as efficient and every seat counts?

theAviationGeek

Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 am

Update: Scottsbluff, NE (BFF)
Skywest has proposed their new 135 service to BFF and the airport seems willing to bend over backwards to retain any CRJ service they can get.

https://starherald.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/skywest-airlines-proposes-new-charter-service-between-scottsbluff-denver/article_d542ff34-f665-11ec-b5c3-6b79cc216b92.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

bomber996

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:55 am

How will these OO 135 flights work? Schedule one 135 flight a day and fill in the 2nd daily flight with a 121 CRJ?

Peace :box:

atrude777

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:41 pm

• Johnstown, Pennsylvania (JST)

Submitted Bids: Southern Airways | Boutique Air | Contour Airlines | COOL Air

Action: None Taken Yet

Update: Filed Letter of Support for SkyWest’s Part 135 Proposal

SkyWest has officially filed with DOT to rescind the Termination Notice for JST.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... 11451-0195

Alex

BangersAndMash

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:50 pm

theAviationGeek wrote:
Update: Scottsbluff, NE (BFF)
Skywest has proposed their new 135 service to BFF and the airport seems willing to bend over backwards to retain any CRJ service they can get.

https://starherald.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/skywest-airlines-proposes-new-charter-service-between-scottsbluff-denver/article_d542ff34-f665-11ec-b5c3-6b79cc216b92.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

At least Scottsbluff has the excuse of being caught between a rock and a hard place. No good choices there.

The people in charge in Johnstown, on the other hand (and Salina sounds like it's going the same way) frankly need their head examined. They have excellent proposals on the table from Contour and DAC respectively, delivering everything they could possibly want, and yet they're still bending over backwards for OO!

I guess you get the EAS carrier you deserve :? In the case of Johnstown, I hope neighbouring Altoona, who is likely to switch to LF, beats JST on pax. Now that would be funny! :lol:

BangersAndMash

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 pm

And there we have it. Skywest has withdrawn its termination notice at Salina.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2002-11376/document?postedDateFrom=2022-06-28&postedDateTo=2022-06-28

atrude777

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:44 pm

Some Southern Airways Express Updates...

Southern Airways has submitted a proposal for Augusta Maine (Currently Served by Cape Air)

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2784-0209

Southern Airways has also submitted a proposal for Rockland Maine (Currently served by Cape Air)

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2784-0210

Southern also filed to change the ACO Code in Jonesboro, Arkansas to the Southern Code

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2935-0430

****************************************************************************************************

Cape Air also has filed a proposal for both cities too (Augusta and Rockland).

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2784-0213

If you'll recall, Cape Air filed to terminate in Burlington, Iowa and Quincy, Illinois.

Proposals will be due by July 1st.

Alex

BangersAndMash

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:57 pm

Proposals are in for Laramie and Alpena. We somehow missed that in the mayhem last week. Skywest and Boutique in both cases. I think we know how this will be going.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-1997-2958/document?postedDateFrom=2022-06-23&postedDateTo=2022-06-23

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2009-0300/document?postedDateFrom=2022-06-23&postedDateTo=2022-06-23

BangersAndMash

Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:01 pm

atrude777 wrote:
Some Southern Airways Express Updates...

Southern Airways has submitted a proposal for Augusta Maine (Currently Served by Cape Air)

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2784-0209

Southern Airways has also submitted a proposal for Rockland Maine (Currently served by Cape Air)

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2784-0210

Southern also filed to change the ACO Code in Jonesboro, Arkansas to the Southern Code

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2935-0430

****************************************************************************************************

Cape Air also has filed a proposal for both cities too (Augusta and Rockland).

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2784-0213

If you'll recall, Cape Air filed to terminate in Burlington, Iowa and Quincy, Illinois.

Proposals will be due by July 1st.

Alex

Boutique also bid at both Augusta and Rockland.

atrude777

Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Proposals are in for Laramie and Alpena. We somehow missed that in the mayhem last week. Skywest and Boutique in both cases. I think we know how this will be going.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-1997-2958/document?postedDateFrom=2022-06-23&postedDateTo=2022-06-23

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2009-0300/document?postedDateFrom=2022-06-23&postedDateTo=2022-06-23

I posted this 5 days ago...

Post 627..you even replied to it hahaha

atrude777 wrote:
Even through all this, SkyWest continues to bid on other EAS Cities that are not part of the 29 Cities.

Next up is Laramie, Wyoming.

Docket: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2958-0109

From the document..."As directed by the RFP, we will offer 12 round-trip flights per week for a two-year term utilizing 30 or 50-seat CRJ200’s. Service will continue with 50-seat jets until 30-seat jet service is available with our subsidiary SkyWest Charters. 30-seat service will be provided under 14 CFR Part 380 public charters. SkyWest will work closely with USDOT and Laramie on necessary waivers and applications when 30-seat service becomes available"

Reading further, makes no mention of the United Brand and Codeshare, of which right now SkyWest is flying as. Is there a potential now of LAR losing United Express Service?

Next is Alpena, Michigan.

Docket: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0300-0147

From the Docket: "As directed by the RFP, we would expect to offer 12 round-trip flights per week for a two-year term utilizing 50-seat CRJ200’s branded as Delta Connection. If necessary, during the contract period, SkyWest may work with an affiliate to provide 30-seat CRJ200 jet service under 14 CFR Part 380 public charters. In the event this affiliate jet service becomes available, SkyWest will closely coordinate with Alpena and USDOT on necessary waivers and applications. A transition of service will be subject to USDOT and community approval."

Currently bidding as Delta Connection but with flexibility to switch to Part 135 Ops, potentially losing the Delta Brand?

Alex

Alex

BangersAndMash

Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 pm

atrude777 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I posted this 5 days ago...

Post 627..you even replied to it hahaha

atrude777 wrote:
Even through all this, SkyWest continues to bid on other EAS Cities that are not part of the 29 Cities.

Next up is Laramie, Wyoming.

Docket: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -2958-0109

From the document..."As directed by the RFP, we will offer 12 round-trip flights per week for a two-year term utilizing 30 or 50-seat CRJ200’s. Service will continue with 50-seat jets until 30-seat jet service is available with our subsidiary SkyWest Charters. 30-seat service will be provided under 14 CFR Part 380 public charters. SkyWest will work closely with USDOT and Laramie on necessary waivers and applications when 30-seat service becomes available"

Reading further, makes no mention of the United Brand and Codeshare, of which right now SkyWest is flying as. Is there a potential now of LAR losing United Express Service?

Next is Alpena, Michigan.

Docket: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0300-0147

From the Docket: "As directed by the RFP, we would expect to offer 12 round-trip flights per week for a two-year term utilizing 50-seat CRJ200’s branded as Delta Connection. If necessary, during the contract period, SkyWest may work with an affiliate to provide 30-seat CRJ200 jet service under 14 CFR Part 380 public charters. In the event this affiliate jet service becomes available, SkyWest will closely coordinate with Alpena and USDOT on necessary waivers and applications. A transition of service will be subject to USDOT and community approval."

Currently bidding as Delta Connection but with flexibility to switch to Part 135 Ops, potentially losing the Delta Brand?

Alex

Alex

Oh well, what can I say! :oops:

FlyingElvii

Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:29 am

bomber996 wrote:
How will these OO 135 flights work? Schedule one 135 flight a day and fill in the 2nd daily flight with a 121 CRJ?

Peace :box:

Skywest pilots are making a big stink about this….

BangersAndMash

Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:31 pm

The contract for Manistee has been published. Cape Air retained as EAS carrier for a 2 year term to end of September 2024.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-1996-1711-0180

atrude777

Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:54 am

Skywest Airlines and Joplin, Missouri have reached an agreement.

SkyWest Airlines will continue to serve Joplin until end of 2022.

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/skywes ... 91052.html

Flights at the Joplin Regional Airport will continue until the end of the year with SkyWest Airlines, operated by United Express.

The airline will extend dual-hub airline service to Chicago and Denver until then, the city said in a statement Wednesday.

A daily nonstop flight to and from Chicago will be offered. Flights to and from Denver will be available five days a week with nonstop service Thursday through Monday.

Alex

Chuska

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:29 am

atrude777 wrote:

Flights at the Joplin Regional Airport will continue until the end of the year with SkyWest Airlines, operated by United Express.

The airline will extend dual-hub airline service to Chicago and Denver until then, the city said in a statement Wednesday.

A daily nonstop flight to and from Chicago will be offered. Flights to and from Denver will be available five days a week with nonstop service Thursday through Monday.

Alex

Thanks for that update. SkyWest has a three-year contract to serve JLN which doesn't end until May 31, 2024. Wonder what will happen come the end of this year which is only 6 months away.

BangersAndMash

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:55 am

Chuska wrote:
atrude777 wrote:

Alex

Thanks for that update. SkyWest has a three-year contract to serve JLN which doesn't end until May 31, 2024. Wonder what will happen come the end of this year which is only 6 months away.

I don't think Skywest know themselves. They just make it up as they go along. But eh, they got a largely captive audience. A lot of these communities are like junkies waiting for a fix. :?

The markets like CGI and PAH that pushed for a clear answer from OO got none. Interestingly, I don't think this is over. Quite a few communities will come up for renewal as soon as next January (BFF, CMX, DDC, LBF, LBL). If Skywest hasn't figured it out by then, we could see more markets giving them the boot.

atrude777

Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:47 pm

Denver Airport submits support for SkyWest's Part 135 Proposal.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0071-0002

Interesting Comment...DEN seems to think this Part 135 will have UA Code Share?

"Denver International Airport (DEN) currently ranks the largest airport for SkyWest Airlines, providing facilities to support
the operation of more than 180 daily flights to more than 60 destinations. DEN values SkyWest as an integral partner in
providing reliable jet service to regional communities. SWC’s proposal to operate a FAR Part 135 entity as scheduled
charter service utilizing jet aircraft will allow SkyWest jet service to remain in more than 15 markets currently served by
SkyWest from DEN, including 13 Essential Air Service (EAS) markets. The service provided by SkyWest to these markets
falls under the United Express brand, supported by a codeshare agreement with DEN’s largest carrier, United Airlines.
"

Salina submits support for SkyWest's Part 135 Proposal.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... 11376-0218

Again..Salina mentions a United Codeshare (along with AA and DL)....

"It has been Salina’s experience that the success of EAS Program service is dependent on the following
factors:
 Regional jet aircraft
 A minimum of two flights per day, seven days per week
 Service to large hubs such as DEN and ORD
 Branded and full code-share affiliation with either American, Delta or United
The application for authority to operate a FAR Part 135 by SkyWest Commuter, flying 30 seat regional
jets meets the four criteria listed above for successful EAS Program service."

These two know something we don't?!?!

Alex

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:54 pm

atrude777 wrote:
Denver Airport submits support for SkyWest's Part 135 Proposal.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0071-0002

Interesting Comment...DEN seems to think this Part 135 will have UA Code Share?

"Denver International Airport (DEN) currently ranks the largest airport for SkyWest Airlines, providing facilities to support
the operation of more than 180 daily flights to more than 60 destinations. DEN values SkyWest as an integral partner in
providing reliable jet service to regional communities. SWC’s proposal to operate a FAR Part 135 entity as scheduled
charter service utilizing jet aircraft will allow SkyWest jet service to remain in more than 15 markets currently served by
SkyWest from DEN, including 13 Essential Air Service (EAS) markets. The service provided by SkyWest to these markets
falls under the United Express brand, supported by a codeshare agreement with DEN’s largest carrier, United Airlines.
"

Salina submits support for SkyWest's Part 135 Proposal.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... 11376-0218

Again..Salina mentions a United Codeshare (along with AA and DL)....

"It has been Salina’s experience that the success of EAS Program service is dependent on the following
factors:
 Regional jet aircraft
 A minimum of two flights per day, seven days per week
 Service to large hubs such as DEN and ORD
 Branded and full code-share affiliation with either American, Delta or United
The application for authority to operate a FAR Part 135 by SkyWest Commuter, flying 30 seat regional
jets meets the four criteria listed above for successful EAS Program service."

These two know something we don't?!?!

Alex

I just hope for their sake they haven't been bamboozled.

It seems odd that CGI and PAH asked these very questions a week ago and got no clear answers.

knope2001

Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:22 pm

Likely two possibilities

--The authors are assuming it's code-share just like classic Skywest and have no special knowledge
--It will be saleable as UA* but branded something different / lesser than classic United Express. Great Lakes was a United code-share in this way for a time.

It's also possible things are still changeable and in formation, of course. But it would surprise me if the the new Skywest Lite flying gets the full United Express credentials as regular Skywest.

sprxUSA

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:19 pm

I just noticed that Southern Airways Express does Imperial County, CA- Las Vegas, NV now along with the LAX service. Bet that's a bumpy ride in the summer.

atrude777

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 pm

Boutique Air to stay in Show Low for two more weeks...

Southern Airways was not able to start Show Low in time by July 1st.

Boutique Air will continue providing flights from Show Low Airport through July 16, according to the city of Show Low.

The city issued a press release on June 24 stating that Southern Airways has been postponed as the local carrier due to being “delayed in implementing the resources in Show Low and Phoenix.”

Southern Airways was originally set to take over all air services in Show Low beginning July 1.

Source: https://www.wmicentral.com/news/boutiqu ... fcd02.html

Alex

BangersAndMash

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:10 pm

More unhappiness with Skywest frequency reductions, this time from Eau Claire.

They don't sound too happy with DOT either, which is admittedly taking the leisure route. Maybe time to unleash your Senators, Eau Claire, to get things moving! :old:

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2009-0306-0054

atrude777

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:01 pm

Clarksburg, VA finally put in for Contour.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... 20736-0180

************************************************************************************

Proposals back out for Pueblo, CO. PUB declined the proposals.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -6589-0153

Alex

BangersAndMash

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:31 pm

atrude777 wrote:

Alex

Are they expecting a different outcome? :shakehead:

Jshank83

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:12 pm

Bids for Quincy, IL are in

Boutique
18 to STL
18 to ORD
https://downloads.regulations.gov/DOT-O ... ment_1.pdf

Southern
18 to STL
18 to ORD
Or
24 to STL
12 to ORD

BangersAndMash

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:16 pm

There is a Boutique proposal in for Burlington IA. Looks like they're the sole bidder. 12x to ORD + 12x to STL.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2001-8731/document?postedDateFrom=2022-07-05&postedDateTo=2022-07-07

BangersAndMash

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:19 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Boutique
18 to STL
18 to ORD

Southern
18 to STL
18 to ORD
Or
24 to STL
12 to ORD

Will we see Contour try BNA? They've got a spare aircraft going round now that JST is sticking with OO.

Jshank83

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:24 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Boutique
18 to STL
18 to ORD

Southern
18 to STL
18 to ORD
Or
24 to STL
12 to ORD

Will we see Contour try BNA? They've got a spare aircraft going round now that JST is sticking with OO.

I’m not convinced Quincy would go for it. They kicked SkyWest to the curb previously to go back to Cape. So they aren’t as likely to be as mesmerized by jet service as others. I think they actually like the STL/ORD split.

BangersAndMash

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:50 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Boutique
18 to STL
18 to ORD

Southern
18 to STL
18 to ORD
Or
24 to STL
12 to ORD

I’m not convinced Quincy would go for it. They kicked SkyWest to the curb previously to go back to Cape. So they aren’t as likely to be as mesmerized by jet service as others. I think they actually like the STL/ORD split.

I get a sense OO wasn't great at Quincy. It may have been more an OO rather than a jet service issue.

The thing is as well the terminal rejig at ORD is not great for EAS carriers, since they will be exiled to T5, with their main partners in other terminals. Changing terminals will be a royal PITA.

I think they could be swayed.

Jshank83

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:09 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I get a sense OO wasn't great at Quincy. It may have been more an OO rather than a jet service issue.

The thing is as well the terminal rejig at ORD is not great for EAS carriers, since they will be exiled to T5, with their main partners in other terminals. Changing terminals will be a royal PITA.

Just tough for me to see them go for BNA. If it’s a DFW or ORD maybe. I do know when they switched to SkyWest there were a lot of people upset about losing STL service. So that makes me think they prefer the split. Either way if Contour was interested I think they would have bid already like they did on others.

BangersAndMash

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:26 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Just tough for me to see them go for BNA. If it’s a DFW or ORD maybe. I do know when they switched to SkyWest there were a lot of people upset about losing STL service. So that makes me think they prefer the split. Either way if Contour was interested I think they would have bid already like they did on others.

Contour won't bid for EAS since they're not eligible, not with 30 seater jet service anyway.

What happened with the OO markets is highly unusual. DOT was prepared to offer waivers so the bidding process could happen all at once to expedite the whole thing. But this is typically not the way it goes. It's normally a 2-round exercise. If Contour has a foot in, the next step would be for Quincy to reject the submitted proposals and present a request for an AEAS grant.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough.

jcwr56

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:37 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

If these are replacements for Skywest then you could see UA voluntarily accommodating them on their preferential gates. Boutique's last run at ORD wasn't' that great, so that's something they'll keep an eye on. Cape's operating pretty well currently. The parking area for EAS area wasn't designed for more than 1, maybe two operators and any new carrier coming in seldoms do their due diligence on the operations portion.

Jshank83

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:38 pm

Apparently Southerns bid for Quincy might be on a 30 seat Saab.. so that changes things a bit if that actually is true since it’s twin engine.

The bid says C-208 though so I’m not sure why the disconnect. Either the paper got it wrong or they are talking behind the scenes on the Saab also?

https://www.wgem.com/2022/07/07/two-air ... utType=amp

atrude777

Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:07 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
atrude777 wrote:

Alex

https://www.chieftain.com/story/busines ... 367994007/

Per This: After announcing plans to pull daily flights from Pueblo Memorial Airport earlier this year, SkyWest Airlines is likely to keep servicing Pueblo with a new agreement in the works.

The airline announced in March it would have to discontinue Pueblo flights this year because of a pilot shortage, however, “SkyWest has indicated they have reached out to the U.S. Department of Transportation to rescind their notice to terminate service in Pueblo,” said Greg Pedroza, director of aviation at the airport.

Sounds like PUB is also entertaining the SkyWest Charter...

Alex

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:20 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

If these are replacements for Skywest then you could see UA voluntarily accommodating them on their preferential gates. Boutique's last run at ORD wasn't' that great, so that's something they'll keep an eye on. Cape's operating pretty well currently. The parking area for EAS area wasn't designed for more than 1, maybe two operators and any new carrier coming in seldoms do their due diligence on the operations portion.

That's just not going to happen. Why would UA do that? Out of the goodness of its heart? These flights would not be UA codeshares like Skywest was. UA will simply not give up precious gates for small aircraft flown by someone who, for all intent and purposes, is nobody to them. I'm sure UA can find far better uses for them.
Last edited by BangersAndMash on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:24 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Apparently Southerns bid for Quincy might be on a 30 seat Saab.. so that changes things a bit if that actually is true since it’s twin engine.

The bid says C-208 though so I’m not sure why the disconnect. Either the paper got it wrong or they are talking behind the scenes on the Saab also?

They do have a handful of them so it's not impossible, although I thought the Saabs were earmarked for Hawaii inter island. Not exactly their MO either. And then there is the state of what passes off as journalism these days! :?

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:27 pm

atrude777 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
atrude777 wrote:

Alex

https://www.chieftain.com/story/busines ... 367994007/

Per This: After announcing plans to pull daily flights from Pueblo Memorial Airport earlier this year, SkyWest Airlines is likely to keep servicing Pueblo with a new agreement in the works.

The airline announced in March it would have to discontinue Pueblo flights this year because of a pilot shortage, however, “SkyWest has indicated they have reached out to the U.S. Department of Transportation to rescind their notice to terminate service in Pueblo,” said Greg Pedroza, director of aviation at the airport.

Sounds like PUB is also entertaining the SkyWest Charter...

Alex

They're gonna need to be quick. The contract expires end of November. And OO doesn't look anywhere near ready to show something.

Chuska

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:28 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

They do have a handful of them so it's not impossible, although I thought the Saabs were earmarked for Hawaii inter island. Not exactly their MO either. And then there is the state of what passes off as journalism these days! :?

More than a year later an Southern still does not have the King Air flying into CDR like they promised. And now they're talking Saabs in their system? Lets get real here.

sprxUSA

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:53 pm

At least they are not promising then not delivering this time lol.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos