Surprised there hasn’t been one of these yet, figured I ought to do my part

32andBelow

Re: United States Essential Air Service (EAS) Thread

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:56 am

There’s like 100

WA707atMSP

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:00 pm

Good idea, SYR. I think this should be a thread for EAS topics that don't merit a separate thread.

Also, please do NOT turn this into a discussion of whether or not the government should fund EAS. The issue of government funding for EAS has been discussed far too much on this website, and further arguments pro / con won't add any value to this thread.

I'll get the thread started with my first question: When will Advanced Air be moving to PHX T 3? I'm planning a trip on them in May ABQ-SVC-PHX, to log them and SVC, and I'd prefer to relax post flight at the FBO rather than at T3.

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:05 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Good idea, SYR. I think this should be a thread for EAS topics that don't merit a separate thread.

Also, please do NOT turn this into a discussion of whether or not the government should fund EAS. The issue of government funding for EAS has been discussed far too much on this website, and further arguments pro / con won't add any value to this thread.

I'll get the thread started with my first question: When will Advanced Air be moving to PHX T 3? I'm planning a trip on them in May ABQ-SVC-PHX, to log them and SVC, and I'd prefer to relax post flight at the FBO rather than at T3.

I’m surprised they would move to T3 as a big draw for them is using the FBO and not needing TSA screening. That would take away the carriers biggest perk.

gdavis003

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:28 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:

The proposal for Show Low, AZ from January states that they would have moved to T3 at PHX by the time that they start service to Show Low (date TBD), so I presume that they are in the process of undergoing the shift currently, which really goes against their marketed business model. See the second paragraph on page 4 of the proposal: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -4409-0146

drdisque

Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:03 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

The proposal for Show Low, AZ from January states that they would have moved to T3 at PHX by the time that they start service to Show Low (date TBD), so I presume that they are in the process of undergoing the shift currently, which really goes against their marketed business model. See the second paragraph on page 4 of the proposal: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -4409-0146

When the airport built their expansion to T3, they built a special area for EAS/Commuter Carriers. It's likely that PHX is pushing them to start using that area instead of the FBO and giving them a good deal on the rent in order to do so.

mga707

Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:20 pm

drdisque wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
When the airport built their expansion to T3, they built a special area for EAS/Commuter Carriers. It's likely that PHX is pushing them to start using that area instead of the FBO and giving them a good deal on the rent in order to do so.

Sounds like the old 'Commuter ghetto' that was on the west end of T-1 prior to 1990 and that terminal's demise. Remember Cochise, Havasu, Sky West. Sun Aire, Sun West, and probably other long-forgotten (except for Sky West) 'Commuter' carriers operating from that area in the 1970s and 80s. Long before TSA, so the security situation was of course far different.

MD8090orDRIVE

Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Great idea for a thread. I long remember service to many city's that no longer get EAS service as they have been removed from being EAS for one reason or another. I do feel for city's that Great Lakes either took out of EAS and no longer can come back (Farmington NM a great example) Other EAS city's have become profitable and no longer in need of a subsidy. The bottom line in almost every EAS city is if an airline can deliver on time service with a dispatch percentage, more people fly on the flights. Sadly there are bad apples like Great Lakes and others that make booking a flight from smaller city's like playing Russian roulette. I know we are trying to avoid a debate over the merit of should the government subsidize air service but I am a supporter of EAS to many of the city's that get it. Some not so much but I have always found it fascinating and have done years of research and flown to many of the airports that are EAS.

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:45 pm

MD8090orDRIVE wrote:
Great idea for a thread. I long remember service to many city's that no longer get EAS service as they have been removed from being EAS for one reason or another. I do feel for city's that Great Lakes either took out of EAS and no longer can come back (Farmington NM a great example) Other EAS city's have become profitable and no longer in need of a subsidy. The bottom line in almost every EAS city is if an airline can deliver on time service with a dispatch percentage, more people fly on the flights. Sadly there are bad apples like Great Lakes and others that make booking a flight from smaller city's like playing Russian roulette. I know we are trying to avoid a debate over the merit of should the government subsidize air service but I am a supporter of EAS to many of the city's that get it. Some not so much but I have always found it fascinating and have done years of research and flown to many of the airports that are EAS.

Yeah, unfortunately Great Lakes made several cities in Wyoming, New Mexico, and Arizona Unable to partake in the EAS program. Farmington has been trying to get service back for years.

In the northeast two cities couldn’t qualify as they didn’t meet the minimum passenger cap, and Hagerstown cause it was too close to a bigger city.

drdisque

Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:51 pm

Other cities have lost EAS, Miles City, MT, Jamestown, NY Franklin/Oil City, PA Ely, NV because they didn't meet the minimum number of enplanements or exceeded the subsidy per enplanement cap for an extended period.

MD8090orDRIVE

Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:52 pm

Farmington NM is the poster child for What Great Lakes did wrong. I flew in there a few times (Pinion Hills is one of the best municipal golf courses in the nation) and there was usually 5 to 8 flights per day to Denver and and I know Mesa had up to 10 or 11 flights to Albuquerque at the same time. I know a Beech 1900 is no longer profitable but when a city has 15 to 20 flights per day (almost 400 seats) There has to be traffic out of there. The area has some boom and bust oil business in the four corners region but this is a city that should have air service. It is 3hrs to ABQ in a car, I know Durango is about 1hr and that is close to my drive to SLC airport but I still feel that Farmington should have commercial air service and has supported it in the past. My guess if it was back in the EAS with a good airline the subsidy would be very low.

sprxUSA

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:18 pm

Advanced Air uses Signature at LAX and LAS, yet if you look up LAX website, says they are at terminal 6. Email from Advanced states otherwise lol. Terrible to plan for xfers. Adding much more time. EAS stipulation should be use main terminal(s) and any added cost would just be added into the bids. Should be trying to sell seemingly "seemless" experience, not add to its inefficiencies. Also, if an airline states an aircraft type in bid, should be made to have it from day one. Still awaiting King Air to Chadron LOL. If airport is deficient, dont bid what you cant deliver. Is Southern Air giving money back due to cheaper plane used on their winning bid,

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:42 pm

MD8090orDRIVE wrote:
Farmington NM is the poster child for What Great Lakes did wrong. I flew in there a few times (Pinion Hills is one of the best municipal golf courses in the nation) and there was usually 5 to 8 flights per day to Denver and and I know Mesa had up to 10 or 11 flights to Albuquerque at the same time. I know a Beech 1900 is no longer profitable but when a city has 15 to 20 flights per day (almost 400 seats) There has to be traffic out of there. The area has some boom and bust oil business in the four corners region but this is a city that should have air service. It is 3hrs to ABQ in a car, I know Durango is about 1hr and that is close to my drive to SLC airport but I still feel that Farmington should have commercial air service and has supported it in the past. My guess if it was back in the EAS with a good airline the subsidy would be very low.

I absolutely agree that Farmington should have service. I know Skywest/United said they have intentions on starting service there but that was a long time ago and nothing has been heard from since. I’m sure some of those pax drive to Cortez, Colo. for flights as well.

The problem is there is plenty on what can get a city disqualified, but there is no set of rules to get a city re-entered into the program. Jamestown, NY has tried many times to get back in and failed each with each attempt

crjflyboy

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:51 pm

Jamestown has superior facilities over Bradford PA .. however the lake effect snow wreaked havoc in the colder months there

MO11

Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:25 am

sprxUSA wrote:
Also, if an airline states an aircraft type in bid, should be made to have it from day one. Still awaiting King Air to Chadron LOL. If airport is deficient, dont bid what you cant deliver. Is Southern Air giving money back due to cheaper plane used on their winning bid,

Southern has two King Airs on its certificate. It's ready. The FAA isn't. It won't let Southern fly with two pilots. Southern won't operate single pilot.

SLCLAXKIXKHH

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:12 am

A while back, I remember Skywest dropping Vernal and Moab from SLC because neither of those airports could handle the CRJ and Skywest was retiring the Embraer 120s. Yet Skywest later started those two destinations from DEN using the CRJ. What changed?

Wingtips56

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:18 am

SkyWest had dropped Crescent City/CEC (along with LMT and CIC) when they retired the Brasilias as well. Their story at CEC was the CRJ couldn't come in because of the hills on the glide slope with one runway heading (or some story like that). FAA held them to honor the balance of the EAS contract, but they thumbed their nose and ceased service anyway. That left no service for a while until PenAir came in, only to have them collapse leaving no service once again. However Contour is doing just fine with the E135.

TexasAirCorp

Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:59 pm

Somewhat old news, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on A.NET: Boutique has lost the contract for McCook, NE to Key Lime Air. 12x weekly Metroliner service to DEN will operate from June.

It seems McCook were satisfied with Boutique, and Key Lime's bid was similar in cost to Boutique's, however the city manager "talked with the airport manager at Alliance, Neb., that also switched to Denver Air, who said that they are extremely happy with their service"

https://www.mccookgazette.com/story/2928912.html

bomber996

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:04 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
Somewhat old news, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on A.NET: Boutique has lost the contract for McCook, NE to Key Lime Air. 12x weekly Metroliner service to DEN will operate from June.

It seems McCook were satisfied with Boutique, and Key Lime's bid was similar in cost to Boutique's, however the city manager "talked with the airport manager at Alliance, Neb., that also switched to Denver Air, who said that they are extremely happy with their service"

https://www.mccookgazette.com/story/2928912.html

What happened with Boutique? 5 years ago they seemed to be the future of what some of these small communities were getting with EAS and nearly everyone seemed pleased. Man have the tides turned.

Peace :box:

TexasAirCorp

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:13 pm

bomber996 wrote:
What happened with Boutique? 5 years ago they seemed to be the future of what some of these small communities were getting with EAS and nearly everyone seemed pleased. Man have the tides turned.

Seems to be a combination of pilot shortages and problematic aircraft. The amount of incidents they've had recently certainly doesn't help their cause.

TWA302

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:24 pm

Can someone please explain to me how Boutique is able to get Muscle Shoals (MSL) to Pensacola (PNS) as an EAS route?

TexasAirCorp

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:31 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Can someone please explain to me how Boutique is able to get Muscle Shoals (MSL) to Pensacola (PNS) as an EAS route?

I believe its a route that they operate on their own accord without EAS funding. They've lost the MSL contract anyway so it won't be around for much longer.

BangersAndMash

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:59 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

I believe its a route that they operate on their own accord without EAS funding. They've lost the MSL contract anyway so it won't be around for much longer.

No, it was covered by the EAS contract. That contract has seen quite the game of destination musical chairs, with ATL/BNA, then ATL alone, ATL/BNA again, and ATL/PNS being served in succession (BNA was also flown at risk after the ATL/PNS switch). That switch to PNS landed Boutique into hot water with other carriers trying to get them disqualified on account that PNS is not a hub airport but DOT let it slide. It's all ending March 1. Hopefully, MSL will find some stability with Contour.

You can have fun reading the filings! :biggrin:

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2000-7856/document?postedDateFrom=2019-12-01

BangersAndMash

Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:10 pm

TWA302 wrote:

Well that map is going to need some painful updating for Boutique!

They've already lost MSL and are no longer flying BOS-BTV (that was flown at risk). They've given notice at Show Low, and been asked to leave Jackson TN. And then Denver Air Connection has been recommended at Cortez and McCook.

Pendleton and Altoona are being re-tendered later this year, and Massena is due early next year. They could get completely wiped out. Although they have a shot at Ogdenburg where they've bid after OO has announced they're leaving.

TexasAirCorp

Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:52 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

No, it was covered by the EAS contract. That contract has seen quite the game of destination musical chairs, with ATL/BNA, then ATL alone, ATL/BNA again, and ATL/PNS being served in succession (BNA was also flown at risk after the ATL/PNS switch). That switch to PNS landed Boutique into hot water with other carriers trying to get them disqualified on account that PNS is not a hub airport but DOT let it slide. It's all ending March 1. Hopefully, MSL will find some stability with Contour.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2000-7856/document?postedDateFrom=2019-12-01

Ah, my mistake, I knew one of BNA/PNS was being flown at risk. LF should be a good match for them.

JBo

Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:56 pm

SLCLAXKIXKHH wrote:
A while back, I remember Skywest dropping Vernal and Moab from SLC because neither of those airports could handle the CRJ and Skywest was retiring the Embraer 120s. Yet Skywest later started those two destinations from DEN using the CRJ. What changed?

Are there differences in ARFF coverage requirements for the CRJ over the EM2?

TexasAirCorp

Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:57 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Pendleton and Altoona are being re-tendered later this year, and Massena is due early next year. They could get completely wiped out. Although they have a shot at Ogdenburg where they've bid after OO has announced they're leaving.

I'd be surprised if they keep Altoona/Massena, word on the street is that neither airport has been happy with Boutique's service (plus Boutique wants more money from Massena). Haven't heard any complaints from Pendleton, but it was rumoured that Contour were considering bidding, think a E135 or a PC12 is a pretty easy choice.

They've got a good shot at Ogdensburg, surprisingly the only other bidder is the mysterious Air Charter Express with a pretty lacklustre 11x weekly ALB service. Anyone know why Cape Air or Southern (or even Air Choice One & Contour) didn't bid?

FlyingElvii

Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:57 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

Ah, my mistake, I knew one of BNA/PNS was being flown at risk. LF should be a good match for them.

Going to Charlotte, and then tagging Greenville to DFW and back makes a lot of sense to me.
GLH- MSL-CLT-MSL-GLH-DFW-GLH-MSL-CLT-MSL-GLH

One aircraft, two crews, plenty of schedule slack for repos to Smyrna, and improved service for both cities.
So what am I missing?

RJNUT

Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:06 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Going to Charlotte, and then tagging Greenville to DFW and back makes a lot of sense to me.

One aircraft, two crews, plenty of schedule slack for repos to Smyrna, and improved service for both cities.
So what am I missing?

the missing piece is the communities themselves have input and what looks good and logical to "a netters" is overridden by irrational choices put forth by communities such as BNA over CLT because it sounds better to them without considering connectivity and pricing and such

sprxUSA

Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:20 pm

Plus I doubt they want to share a plane with another city. What good would it do for GLH to have 20 MSL pax going thru onto DFW? Company gets paid for each town seperately so each should reap their own flights. And since company is getting guaranteed amount, what do they care about common sense items? LOL

Chuska

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:07 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
MD8090orDRIVE wrote:

I absolutely agree that Farmington should have service. I know Skywest/United said they have intentions on starting service there but that was a long time ago and nothing has been heard from since. I’m sure some of those pax drive to Cortez, Colo. for flights as well.

The problem is there is plenty on what can get a city disqualified, but there is no set of rules to get a city re-entered into the program. Jamestown, NY has tried many times to get back in and failed each with each attempt

YES, FMN absolutely needs good air service. In addition to the service they once had listed above, they also saw Frontier 737's and Aspen/UA* BAe-146's in the 1980s. The 1990s saw United Express and America West Express (both Mesa) as well as American Eagle and Continental Express. The airport has recently upgraded the runways to allow CRJ operations (rules for jets changed since the 1980's) and has modified the terminal for a TSA holding room. The airport has a received a SCASD grant and SkyWest had announced a start date of Oct 15, 2020 but that got squashed by the pandemic. Doesn't look like FMN would fall into SkyWest's model anymore but I hope I'm wrong. Even though DRO is about a one hour drive away, much of it is on two-lane mountainous roads, no fun dodging deer and not to mention snow. FMN should definitely be on the EAS program and not have to worry about burning through SCASD grant money because of the pandemic downturn.

drdisque

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:22 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I'd be surprised if they keep Altoona/Massena, word on the street is that neither airport has been happy with Boutique's service (plus Boutique wants more money from Massena). Haven't heard any complaints from Pendleton, but it was rumoured that Contour were considering bidding, think a E135 or a PC12 is a pretty easy choice.

They've got a good shot at Ogdensburg, surprisingly the only other bidder is the mysterious Air Charter Express with a pretty lacklustre 11x weekly ALB service. Anyone know why Cape Air or Southern (or even Air Choice One & Contour) didn't bid?

Cape had OGS about a decade ago and had a falling out with the communities. At the time they held OGS, MSS, and ART.

ART really wanted a bigger aircraft and opted for AA. Cape was really only willing to fly these routes if they had the contract to all 3 as they're quite far from BOS so a stop in ALB was necessary and thus BOS-ALB had to be operated at-risk. However, they soldiered on. Then both communities selected OO for jet service. However, OO couldn't get FAA approval to operate the CRJ into MSS and MSS begged for 9K to come back. That's how they ended up with Boutique. 9K has basically been dicked around for so long by these 3 communities they don't want anything to do with them anymore.

BangersAndMash

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:23 pm

RJNUT wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

So what am I missing?

the missing piece is the communities themselves have input and what looks good and logical to "a netters" is overridden by irrational choices put forth by communities such as BNA over CLT because it sounds better to them without considering connectivity and pricing and such

A question of priorities as well. While MSL is a market that should quite easily support traffic to 2 hubs (it's got to be the biggest EAS-eligible MSA out there), their focus is understandably on getting under the $200 per passenger cap, something which Boutique has consistently failed to do. If they don't get that under control, it all becomes moot as they won't be getting any subsidies at all. They're in good hands with LF. Contour just needs a bit of time to build the market to where it should be, and then they can think of adding a second hub.

MSL's submission for the AEAS grant is actually a surprisingly good read. They seem reasonable in their expectations and have clearly done their homework. And there are some great nuggets on Contour's successes in other markets. What they've achieved in Tupelo is pretty amazing.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2000-7856-0242

Chuska

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:24 pm

PIR is an interesting case. DL* pulled out on 11/20/2011 leaving Great Lakes as the only carrier. By 2012, Great Lakes route maps distinguished EAS cities and non-EAS cities, PIR was listed as "non-EAS". So it looks like PIR was taken off the EAS program in the 2012 EAS reform but somehow they got back on it. PIR is definitely a city that needs to have EAS being as isolated as they are but does anyone have any insight on what happened here, how they went from non-EAS to EAS?

BangersAndMash

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:30 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Plus I doubt they want to share a plane with another city. What good would it do for GLH to have 20 MSL pax going thru onto DFW? Company gets paid for each town seperately so each should reap their own flights. And since company is getting guaranteed amount, what do they care about common sense items? LOL

Oh Contour is savvy enough there, don't you worry ;)

Those BNA-IND/GSP flights they're running are at least partially being paid for by feds money from the TUP and GLH EAS contracts. And good for them too.

BangersAndMash

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:54 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
Haven't heard any complaints from Pendleton, but it was rumoured that Contour were considering bidding, think a E135 or a PC12 is a pretty easy choice.

Coos Bay (OTH) applied for and won an SCASDP grant for service to PDX on Contour in 2019. Of course that timing wasn't great and it never started. But I gather the community is still keen and it would tie in very nicely with a Pendleton flight. They probably want/need an interline with AS though.

Chuska

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:59 am

TexasAirCorp wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I hope to see Contour get PDT with E135's from someone who remembers when UA ran 727-200's thru PDT.

sprxUSA

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:24 am

Would it be like pulling teeth to get TSA back into PDT? If they are going to fly a 135 into Pendleton, may as well have it go nonstop to OAK.....
I was amazed last time I was up there losing money, that they were building a motel right across the terminal parking lot. Never would have thought there'd ever be a need...

usxguy

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:33 am

Chuska wrote:
PIR is an interesting case. DL* pulled out on 11/20/2011 leaving Great Lakes as the only carrier. By 2012, Great Lakes route maps distinguished EAS cities and non-EAS cities, PIR was listed as "non-EAS". So it looks like PIR was taken off the EAS program in the 2012 EAS reform but somehow they got back on it. PIR is definitely a city that needs to have EAS being as isolated as they are but does anyone have any insight on what happened here, how they went from non-EAS to EAS?

You can have an EAS market without getting a subsidy or requiring a docket filing with bids. I believe ZK tried to fly their Brasilias to PIR 2x a day to DEN and should have done ok with those.

Cortez is going to be interesting to see -- $9 million for a Metro III in a 9 seat configuration for DAC vs a lower bid by Southern, which I know is hoping to use the King Airs for that market. Southern already has the PC-12 op specs from when they aquired Mokulele.

bval

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:28 am

drdisque wrote:
Cape had OGS about a decade ago and had a falling out with the communities. At the time they held OGS, MSS, and ART.

ART really wanted a bigger aircraft and opted for AA. Cape was really only willing to fly these routes if they had the contract to all 3 as they're quite far from BOS so a stop in ALB was necessary and thus BOS-ALB had to be operated at-risk. However, they soldiered on. Then both communities selected OO for jet service. However, OO couldn't get FAA approval to operate the CRJ into MSS and MSS begged for 9K to come back. That's how they ended up with Boutique. 9K has basically been dicked around for so long by these 3 communities they don't want anything to do with them anymore.

9K did keep their maintenance base at ALB despite only retaining SLK in upstate NY. Now they are the sole bidder to replace OO at PBG. PBG and SLK were also part of their operation in NY along with OGS, MSS, and ART, plus the ALB base flown at risk.

Recent public comments on the OO drawdown bids indicate the folks who ran the PenAir SF3s out have regrets. I'm starting to think the entire industry has big regrets about retiring the SF3, 1900D, Metroliner etc right about now.

SyracuseAvGeek

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:55 pm

bval wrote:
drdisque wrote:

9K did keep their maintenance base at ALB despite only retaining SLK in upstate NY. Now they are the sole bidder to replace OO at PBG. PBG and SLK were also part of their operation in NY along with OGS, MSS, and ART, plus the ALB base flown at risk.

Recent public comments on the OO drawdown bids indicate the folks who ran the PenAir SF3s out have regrets. I'm starting to think the entire industry has big regrets about retiring the SF3, 1900D, Metroliner etc right about now.

I find the entire thing with PBG pretty ironic, they had Cape Air back in 2008… and millions of dollars in terminal renovations later, they are going back to 8/9-seat prop planes with Cape :lol:

oosnowrat

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:10 pm

SLCLAXKIXKHH wrote:

CNY upgraded its facility to accommodate the CRJ.

https://www.moabsunnews.com/news/articl ... 5d0e6.html

WA707atMSP

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:30 pm

Chuska wrote:

PIR and HON are among the many cities who had their passenger counts severely depressed by ZK's unreliability. Although it's debatable, I think even HON should have EAS because of its remote location.

When I visited PIR in August, 2012, PIR was in the process of building a new jetway equipped terminal to accommodate RJs. I think if PIR had an airline as reliable as Mesaba or Western were, passenger traffic would recover to pre-ZK levels once passengers felt confident their flights wouldn't be cancelled.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:31 pm

I suspect a better criteria for essential air services could be revised:

1. Top tier medical including trauma care as well as at least a second tier national airport.
2. If possible an airport with some international service.

Criterium 1 almost automatically describes a city with major economic, cultural, and other big city opportunities. I also do not see why taxpayers should support more than this, perhaps only one round trip a day.

Chuska

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:49 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Chuska wrote:

PIR and HON are among the many cities who had their passenger counts severely depressed by ZK's unreliability. Although it's debatable, I think even HON should have EAS because of its remote location.

When I visited PIR in August, 2012, PIR was in the process of building a new jetway equipped terminal to accommodate RJs. I think if PIR had an airline as reliable as Mesaba or Western were, passenger traffic would recover to pre-ZK levels once passengers felt confident their flights wouldn't be cancelled.

Agreed on PIR and HON. I think HON lost EAS due to low passenger loads which could most likely be fixed with a dependable carrier.

As I understand, that EAS reform of ten years ago had no provision if the airline serving a city at no charge later goes out of business or simply pulls out which is what Great Lakes did to FMN, CYS, RIW, and SHR. Its unbelievable how that EAS rule didn't take that into consideration. Whats even worse is that EAS reform only applied to that time frame in 2011/2012. Now if a city goes independant, like JLN and SUX did, and something like a pandemic hits, those cities get to go back on EAS.

FlapOperator

Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:10 pm

Honestly, I think the answer to EAS in the current crewing crisis facing specifically regional airlines, the lack of new built aircraft with efficiencies to serve these and other factors is for the Federal Government to tie slotting at high demand/high revenue airports to service at the EAS cities. If a Legacy3 wants that slot bad enough, then ensuring service at the EAS is the price of doing business. Otherwise, EAS is a really hard problem.

FlapOperator

Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:13 pm

JBo wrote:
SLCLAXKIXKHH wrote:

Are there differences in ARFF coverage requirements for the CRJ over the EM2?

I believe so, as ARFF is determined by passenger seats and air carrier vs. non-air carrier operations.

RJNUT

Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:25 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
Honestly, I think the answer to EAS in the current crewing crisis facing specifically regional airlines, the lack of new built aircraft with efficiencies to serve these and other factors is for the Federal Government to tie slotting at high demand/high revenue airports to service at the EAS cities. If a Legacy3 wants that slot bad enough, then ensuring service at the EAS is the price of doing business. Otherwise, EAS is a really hard problem.

something needs to change as the current musical chairs is disruptive and not sustainable . Skywest seemed to bring some much-needed equipment upgrades and reliability and now creating quite the conundrum with their own ops problems

joeblow10

Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:34 pm

I could see the mainlines bidding a few (not all) of these EAS cities 1x daily with a small mainline jet like the 319 at a high subsidy in a few years time, especially as the staffing at 135s and regionals gets worse and worse

If the government subsidizes enough (whether that’s right or wrong is a different debate), I don’t see a reason why they wouldn’t just want guaranteed revenue. And you know the communities would clamor for the service.

32andBelow

Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:45 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I suspect a better criteria for essential air services could be revised:

1. Top tier medical including trauma care as well as at least a second tier national airport.
2. If possible an airport with some international service.

Criterium 1 almost automatically describes a city with major economic, cultural, and other big city opportunities. I also do not see why taxpayers should support more than this, perhaps only one round trip a day.

The number one thing you need for successful essential air service is a code share at a decent sized hub. Air service doesn’t work well if you have to buy 2 tickets. It doesn’t work at all if your are delayed and now your second ticket is void and the second airline won’t help you. This is what makes people wind up driving 5+ hours to a hub.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos