Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atrude777

Re: United States Essential Air Service (EAS) Thread

Fri May 20, 2022 1:20 am

BangersAndMash wrote:

I was looking under the Sioux City docket. They haven't filed it there (yet? although it's dated 3 days ago; how long can it take?). DOT seem a little out of the loop. :?

Oh well, Boutique, or sub-standard service with OO. Not a pleasant choice for sure.

I dunno, I fly into an EAS City with SkyWest from Chicago and it's never been substandard to me. Jet Service? Lavatory, ability to book on United and connect?

SkyWest has brought my family and I much closer between Chicago and our hometown, it is absolutely appreciated.

I would take 1 Daily Jet service to/from Chicago any day over Boutique, especially with their safety record over the last two years.

Alex

atrude777

Fri May 20, 2022 1:29 am

In addition to SUX deciding on the 7 weekly Service...

Johnstown, PA-JST is also having the same discussion...

Since then, however, SkyWest and the airport have been working to find a solution to keep SkyWest here. However, the airport has been looking at bids from other airlines to see if they would come here if SkyWest does pull out.

The U.S. Department of Transportation has been receiving proposals for the airport after SkyWest said in March they needed to pull out of 29 communities where they have EAS contracts, including Johnstown. Since then, airport manager Cory Cree said the airport authority and SkyWest have been looking for a solution to continue to keep SkyWest and their 50-seat jets in Johnstown, with some “scheduling flexibility”

“Our number one goal is to retain SkyWest and our second goal is to continue to have jet service here,” Cree said. “We’re still discussing with SkyWest in trying to look at any options to keep them here because the community is utilizing them and supporting that service.”

https://wjactv.com/news/local/johnstown ... ew-service

MKG-Muskegon Airport has said SkyWest also approached them about retaining service if MKG is willing to go down to 7 Weekly.

The airline had wanted to pull out by June 8, though it can’t until a new carrier is in place. Burgess told commissioners SkyWest has been pushing to drop to one flight per day out of Muskegon.

https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/202 ... rport.html

Alex

bval

Fri May 20, 2022 3:06 am

joeblow10 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
How is one daily jet service a big brand that offers connections and a code shares sub standard? The future of EAS might be 5-7 flights a week to a major hub. I think it’s either that or twice daily triangle routings when 2 cities are close together.

Agreed. If anything, I think these communities should be clamoring for the opportunity at once daily jet service over 2-3x daily prop service on a 9-19 seater. I have nothing against props, but there is undoubtedly a certain public stigma against them that certainly makes serving the community harder from the start

As a regular flyer on 9 seat EAS service I have to say I'll gladly take 2-3x daily service over once daily. EAS is the first/last stop of at least a one stop flight, maybe more. Having a morning and evening flight option are essential to folks being able to get somewhere or get home in one day. If every flight requires an extra overnight on one or both ends of the trip just to make the connection it can make the service unattractive all together.

The best outcome is cities retaining both jet service and multiple frequencies but where that's not possible multiple 9, 19, or 30 seaters is a close second. I could even see one jet a day and 1-2x smaller flights being a compromise but today few carriers can offer both. I think DAC might be the only one?

32andBelow

Fri May 20, 2022 3:34 am

bval wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
How is one daily jet service a big brand that offers connections and a code shares sub standard? The future of EAS might be 5-7 flights a week to a major hub. I think it’s either that or twice daily triangle routings when 2 cities are close together.

Agreed. If anything, I think these communities should be clamoring for the opportunity at once daily jet service over 2-3x daily prop service on a 9-19 seater. I have nothing against props, but there is undoubtedly a certain public stigma against them that certainly makes serving the community harder from the start

As a regular flyer on 9 seat EAS service I have to say I'll gladly take 2-3x daily service over once daily. EAS is the first/last stop of at least a one stop flight, maybe more. Having a morning and evening flight option are essential to folks being able to get somewhere or get home in one day. If every flight requires an extra overnight on one or both ends of the trip just to make the connection it can make the service unattractive all together.

The best outcome is cities retaining both jet service and multiple frequencies but where that's not possible multiple 9, 19, or 30 seaters is a close second. I could even see one jet a day and 1-2x smaller flights being a compromise but today few carriers can offer both. I think DAC might be the only one?

Maybe they should look into doing combined bids. There have been combined bids in Alaska with them splitting passengers and cargo

BangersAndMash

Fri May 20, 2022 7:26 am

32andBelow wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
atrude777 wrote:

I was looking under the Sioux City docket. They haven't filed it there (yet? although it's dated 3 days ago; how long can it take?). DOT seem a little out of the loop. :?

Oh well, Boutique, or sub-standard service with OO. Not a pleasant choice for sure.

Sub-standard in the sense that the purpose of EAS is supporting the local economy. There's a good reason DOT mandates at least 2 daily flights. It allows same day travel for business. Sure, one a day is better than nothing at all, but it adds cost and inconvenience for travellers.

If the future of EAS is 5-7 a week, it's simply going to die. It's just like public transit. If you offer people a service that doesn't fit their needs, they're simply not going to use it. The focus should be on encouraging reliable service with the right aircraft instead. The traffic figures in communities that have that speak for themselves. And it keeps overall subsidy level down. Win win.

32andBelow

Fri May 20, 2022 8:08 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Sub-standard in the sense that the purpose of EAS is supporting the local economy. There's a good reason DOT mandates at least 2 daily flights. It allows same day travel for business. Sure, one a day is better than nothing at all, but it adds cost and inconvenience for travellers.

If the future of EAS is 5-7 a week, it's simply going to die. It's just like public transit. If you offer people a service that doesn't fit their needs, they're simply not going to use it. The focus should be on encouraging reliable service with the right aircraft instead. The traffic figures in communities that have that speak for themselves. And it keeps overall subsidy level down. Win win.

Weird cus other small cities get 1 flight a day. Having actual connectivity on a major carrier is worth a lot. But as I said you could also start combining routes and do 2 triangles a day

bluecrew

Fri May 20, 2022 8:16 am

bval wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Who's gonna pay for this though?

We pump cash into subsidizing small, financially unstable carriers into serving communities with an effective footprint smaller than the smallest suburb of Boston. How many flights to the boonies do the taxpayers have to fund? I'd gladly take 2-3 daily flights over 1, but if you're looking to trim the DOT budget, this is low hanging fruit.

Perfect example here - Crescent City, CA. It's 2 hours from Medford, which has regular airline service it can sustain, and a total population of 7,000 people. That's a good sized, dense city block in NYC. Is a 2 hour drive to another city an undue burden? I would think not... the drive from the old home in Denver to the airport was an hour or more, and still in the same county.

US airlines can't make 50 seat regional affiliates work in the first place - how are they going to make it work on subsidies, flying airplanes with 9 people on them? It's not a matter of capacity, it's a matter of costs. Operating an RJ into a city is exponentially more expensive than Dave 'n Bud's Cornfield Caravan Crew, and I can't imagine all the Southern Airways Express C208s are full every day.

If it were me I would cut EAS to ribbons and create a means-testing model for determining if a community should warrant such a substantial subsidy (up to $800/seat as of 15 years ago per NYT). The problem is the government investment in keeping these carriers (Southern, Boutique, PenAir, Denver Air Connection, etc.) alive is probably substantially ameliorating the pilot shortage issue by providing a lot of pilots that want nothing more than to escape to driving a 50 seat RJ with a deferred APU in the summer.

Beggars can't be choosers, and EAS is just going to have to roll with the punches. There are less qualified pilots on the market than there were 10 years ago in relation to the number of jobs out there. If your business model is relying on government subsidy because you can't bring in enough ticket revenue to keep the employees on staff, and the whole business model is digging in on the subsidies, you can own the airplanes outright and pay nothing for parking, but it's not going to last in this hiring environment.

atrude777

Fri May 20, 2022 3:25 pm

Southern has WITHDRAWN their proposal for Eau Claire, WI-EAU

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0306-0049

Southern has submitted a proposal for Joplin, Missouri-JLN

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... 23932-0100

Offering flights to STL and DFW.

Alex

Chuska

Fri May 20, 2022 3:55 pm

atrude777 wrote:

Alex

Really? Southern Caravans at JLN, a city that is used to having jets? And Southern promised CDR a King Air a year ago, still hasn't happened. I'm sure most of the Joplin population already makes the one hour drive to SGF or XNA, now the rest will probably start doing so. I believe in EAS but this is where it fails.

MIflyer12

Fri May 20, 2022 4:33 pm

bluecrew wrote:
Who's gonna pay for this though?

It's a few hundred $million a year in Federal spending that has exceeded $4 Trillion a year since 2018 - yes, since before Covid. EAS does not rely on discretionary DOT spending - it's defined in law and so funded.

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/BUD ... AB/context

By definition, every eligible airport is in the district of some Congressman who's ready to argue that EAS to his airport(s) is essential, indeed. Eligible airports are also located very disproportionately in states of lower population, but every state gets two U.S. Senators. There are 67 EAS airports represented by a total of 70 senators, not including Alaska & Hawaii, in states with below-average population from the 2020 census, from the DOT's eligibility list as of 12/2021. Material modification of the relevant law isn't even possible given present politics - it just isn't worth the fight given the small scope of savings. Limited government spending is for other people.

Only the per-enplanement cap will restrain the program, and even that will be modified if a growing number of airports can't gain carriers.

BangersAndMash

Fri May 20, 2022 6:03 pm

Don't think it's been picked up yet but Cortez has been awarded.

DOT went with the community's recommendation in the end and picked the more expensive bid from DAC.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-1998-3508/document?postedDateFrom=2022-05-13&postedDateTo=2022-05-13

Service pattern will be 12x weekly each to DEN and PHX. And it'll be on the Metroliner. :biggrin:

knope2001

Fri May 20, 2022 6:44 pm

atrude777 wrote:

Alex

Well knock me over with a feather....the per-passenger subsidy of the Joplin bid is just under the $200 cap. Amazing how yet again the projected costs and projected traffic figures....plus the 5% profit margin....come out yet again to a per-passenger subsidy of just under the $200 cap. Such a coincidence time after time!

Briefly poking around documents I happened upon an EAS report for the 12 months ended 9/30/16 where Joplin's per-passenger subsidy for their RJ flights was $9 per passenger for the AA* RJ flights to Dallas at that time. There may be newer stats out there but not a whole lot newer since Joplin was off of EAS subsidy completely for a time. And now it's going to cost a cool $199 or $192 if this is selected and passenger traffic meets projections.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0061-0020

If I had time (sadly I doubt I will) I'd love to compare some of these proposals and see how glaringly inconsistent some things might be. With so many proposals from a number of airlines there are a lot of cases where perhaps we might find wildly different projected costs on the same airline for a 200-ish mile route in market AAA-BBB versus a different 200-ish mile proposal for market XXX-YYY. Or traffic projections for market AAA are 110% what that airport generate in 2019 while traffic projected for market BBB is 30% of what that airport generated in 2019. We've already seen some functionally impossible load factors in some Boutique proposals. For what it's worth a few years back some of the Skywest proposals seemed a little iffy in a similar way though seemingly less blatant. Certainly some things vary from market to market. Cost per trip into DEN versus STL versus MSP versus DFW versus BNA, for example, throw in a little variation. But the relentless parade of bids where per-passenger subsidy magically hits just a little under $200 seems like a combination of creative accounting and magical thinking. And destined to create Action News! features like how your tax dollars subsidized this family's trip to Florida equal to the monthly mortgage payment on their beautiful suburban home.

JBo

Fri May 20, 2022 6:48 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Well knock me over with a feather....the per-passenger subsidy of the Joplin bid is just under the $200 cap. Amazing how yet again the projected costs and projected traffic figures....plus the 5% profit margin....come out yet again to a per-passenger subsidy of just under the $200 cap. Such a coincidence time after time!

Since there is little to no competition bidding for EAS routes, there's really nothing stopping these carriers from pursuing the max subsidy amount.

stl07

Fri May 20, 2022 7:59 pm

knope2001 wrote:
atrude777 wrote:

Alex

Briefly poking around documents I happened upon an EAS report for the 12 months ended 9/30/16 where Joplin's per-passenger subsidy for their RJ flights was $9 per passenger for the AA* RJ flights to Dallas at that time. There may be newer stats out there but not a whole lot newer since Joplin was off of EAS subsidy completely for a time. And now it's going to cost a cool $199 or $192 if this is selected and passenger traffic meets projections.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0061-0020

If I had time (sadly I doubt I will) I'd love to compare some of these proposals and see how glaringly inconsistent some things might be. With so many proposals from a number of airlines there are a lot of cases where perhaps we might find wildly different projected costs on the same airline for a 200-ish mile route in market AAA-BBB versus a different 200-ish mile proposal for market XXX-YYY. Or traffic projections for market AAA are 110% what that airport generate in 2019 while traffic projected for market BBB is 30% of what that airport generated in 2019. We've already seen some functionally impossible load factors in some Boutique proposals. For what it's worth a few years back some of the Skywest proposals seemed a little iffy in a similar way though seemingly less blatant. Certainly some things vary from market to market. Cost per trip into DEN versus STL versus MSP versus DFW versus BNA, for example, throw in a little variation. But the relentless parade of bids where per-passenger subsidy magically hits just a little under $200 seems like a combination of creative accounting and magical thinking. And destined to create Action News! features like how your tax dollars subsidized this family's trip to Florida equal to the monthly mortgage payment on their beautiful suburban home.

Not to mention Springfield (and Branson too!) is only an hour away and is a massive airport for the rural MO/OK/AK area

sunking737

Fri May 20, 2022 10:59 pm

EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) -The proposal from Sun Country Airlines has been recommended to the U.S. Department of Transportation to serve Chippewa Valley Regional Airport for the next two years.
https://www.weau.com/2022/05/20/commiss ... l-airport/

usxguy

Fri May 20, 2022 11:29 pm

The reason everyone is bidding at the $199 subsidy/pax is because we don't know where the cost of fuel or labor is going to go. And if you are locked in for 2 years, well, thats not a good thing if the passenger numbers or revenue doesn't build the way you need it to.

BangersAndMash

Fri May 20, 2022 11:59 pm

sunking737 wrote:
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) -The proposal from Sun Country Airlines has been recommended to the U.S. Department of Transportation to serve Chippewa Valley Regional Airport for the next two years.

I thought that might have something to do with Southern withdrawing their proposal.

I presume they'll have to do it via an AEAS grant. Sun Country's bid is for 2x weekly flights to MSP which is not compliant with basic EAS requirements. Even counting the leisure flights in doesn't get you there.

It'll be interesting to see if they partner with Landline for additional bus service. SY hinted at it but it's not formally included in the proposal.

Jshank83

Sat May 21, 2022 3:48 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

I thought that might have something to do with Southern withdrawing their proposal.

I presume they'll have to do it via an AEAS grant. Sun Country's bid is for 2x weekly flights to MSP which is not compliant with basic EAS requirements. Even counting the leisure flights in doesn't get you there.

It'll be interesting to see if they partner with Landline for additional bus service. SY hinted at it but it's not formally included in the proposal.

I can’t see any way this gets accepted. Even AEAS. I’m going to guess DOT awards it to Boutique.

BangersAndMash

Sat May 21, 2022 10:30 am

Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

I can’t see any way this gets accepted. Even AEAS. I’m going to guess DOT awards it to Boutique.

There certainly are problems with that proposal. I could see it pass if they bring Landline into the application. They might need a nudge to steer it in the right direction and DOT can use its discretionary powers to make that happen.

The leisure routes are not necessarily a problem, I don't think. LAS/MCO/RSW all qualify as either large or medium-size hub airports. And it's not like DOT hasn't authorised stuff like this before. They allowed Boutique to serve PNS on EAS, and that's not even categorised as a medium-size hub so there is precedent.

The lack of interline/codeshare isn't really a problem either since SY has a decent network out of MSP.

Jshank83

Sat May 21, 2022 2:10 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

There certainly are problems with that proposal. I could see it pass if they bring Landline into the application. They might need a nudge to steer it in the right direction and DOT can use its discretionary powers to make that happen.

The leisure routes are not necessarily a problem, I don't think. LAS/MCO/RSW all qualify as either large or medium-size hub airports. And it's not like DOT hasn't authorised stuff like this before. They allowed Boutique to serve PNS on EAS, and that's not even categorised as a medium-size hub so there is precedent.

The lack of interline/codeshare isn't really a problem either since SY has a decent network out of MSP.

For me it’s lack of daily flights to MSP. If it had that then I would think it has a better shot. 2x a week to MSP is the issue to me.

atrude777

Sat May 21, 2022 4:27 pm

Articles coming out now as cities decide whether to...

A-Keep SkyWest at the reduced 7 Weekly

B-Decline proposals due to not meeting EAS Minimums

Jamestown, ND-JMS

https://www.jamestownsun.com/news/propo ... quirements

JAMESTOWN – The U.S. Department of Transportation received two proposals from two airlines to serve the Jamestown Regional Airport, but they do not meet the minimum requirements for the Essential Air Service contract, according to Katie Hemmer, airport director.

“Both of them proposed a nine-seat PC 12 aircraft to serve us with 24 round-trip flights per week and Minneapolis as the destination,” she said. “Both of those do not meet the minimum requirements of a two-engine, two-pilot aircraft for the Essential Air Service contract.”

Paducah, KY-PAH

https://www.paducahsun.com/news/barkley ... 436b1.html

Barkley Regional Airport recently received three bid proposals for Essential Air Service with a June 10 deadline.

Dennis Rouleau, airport executive director, said several factors have to be considered, such as “twin-engine service, where they’re flying to, the capacity they have and their overall reputation for service.

“There’s a lot of other things like airfare, what the average fare is going to be, marketing and of course, access to the national air transportation system,” Rouleau told The Sun.

“A lot of things to consider: What’s going to be best for the community, short- and long-term, as we continue to grow.”

Alex

illinoisman

Sat May 21, 2022 6:08 pm

sunking737 wrote:

These were all bad options for business travelers. Those near EAU that are excited by the prospect of mainline service might want to consider a scenario where you are at your destination and then your twice weekly flight gets canceled and now you are stuck there for another 3-5 days. Remember, Sun Country has had nothing but problems over the past year or two. The other option with the 9 seat, 2 engine prop planes would also be bad. Loud planes, extremely small cabin, and weight and balance is a much larger issue. If I lived near EAU I would now be driving to MSP to fly UA.

atrude777

Sun May 22, 2022 7:27 pm

Scottsbluff-BFF has rejected both Southern Airways and Boutique's Proposal claiming single engine operations.

Kearney and North Platte will be discussing the proposals Monday, May 23rd.

In the article it is mentioned, Kearney and North Platte have to both agree on Ravn's Q400 bid for the proposal to be accepted.

Source: https://nptelegraph.com/news/airport-au ... b3fb1.html

Scottsbluff's Rejection:
Western Nebraska Regional Airport board members Wednesday rejected EAS bids from both Boutique and Southern, Scottsbluff radio station KNEB-AM reported. They were the only ones the Scottsbluff airport received for a successor to SkyWest.

North Platte's Meeting:
The North Platte Airport Authority board will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday to review proposals by Northern Pacific Airways, which would fly 50-seat turbo-prop aircraft, and Boutique Air and Southern Airways Express, both offering to fly small turbo-props of less than 10 passengers.

A lot of communities will be rejecting Southern Airways Express and Boutique due to the Single Engine Operator concerns. Many communities share the concern, once they go to single engine operations, they don't believe they will go back to dual engine.

Alex

sprxUSA

Sun May 22, 2022 8:14 pm

Heck Southern ought to be bidding saying they'll use a King Air. Win bid, then never use it LOL.

BangersAndMash

Sun May 22, 2022 9:19 pm

atrude777 wrote:

In the article it is mentioned, Kearney and North Platte have to both agree on Ravn's Q400 bid for the proposal to be accepted.

Well I guess that's dead then! I can't see how Kearney would go for turboprops when 30/50 seater jets are on the table.

Maybe Ravn can be persuaded to drop that requirement. Or if they absolutely need 2 communities on board, poor Liberal got no proposals.

usxguy

Sun May 22, 2022 10:21 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Heck Southern ought to be bidding saying they'll use a King Air. Win bid, then never use it LOL.

You still have yet to answer my question - why the obsession? At least 9X has been operating CDR at a 100% completion rate!

(and you haven't even questioned why they are late.... and the company *COUGH* is willing to answer that question, publicy).

maps4ltd

Sun May 22, 2022 10:56 pm

Does anyone have a list of cities where SkyWest is proposing 7x weekly service to?

atrude777

Sun May 22, 2022 10:56 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
atrude777 wrote:

Well I guess that's dead then! I can't see how Kearney would go for turboprops when 30/50 seater jets are on the table.

Maybe Ravn can be persuaded to drop that requirement. Or if they absolutely need 2 communities on board, poor Liberal got no proposals.

You'd think so...

However MWA-Marion had SkyWest CRJ on the table in 2019, and they still went for Incumbent Cape Air instead of SkyWest while CGI, UIN, DEC all went to SkyWest previously...

*sighs*

I'm not bitter about it :) LOL

Alex

atrude777

Sun May 22, 2022 10:59 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Does anyone have a list of cities where SkyWest is proposing 7x weekly service to?

I have a feeling that's originally what SkyWest needed to happen.

That they approached the 29 communities and said "hey we're in a real bind, can we have you drop down to 7 weekly or we will have to pull out"...

Cities called SkyWest's bluff, SkyWest said "copy that, I am filing to pull out"

Now the cities "Ok, Ok, we believe you, let's reduce 7 weekly".

I am betting SkyWest already proposed it to all 29 communities, and so far 5 have said in the Media they will reduce to 7 Weekly...

DVL, JMS, JST, SUX, and MCW.

PAH and MKG also said they were approached about going down to 7 Weekly, but haven't agreed to it yet.

Alex

boacvc10

Mon May 23, 2022 12:37 am

For EAS origin (not destination) pax, is travel time of essence, or days in a week? What size aircraft are common? I (might be wrong here) read earlier in this thread 9-seat or 50-seat, any middle range?

Would a transition to all air side bus service as discussed elsewhere be cheaper per pax given extensive road network with 65-75 mph plus freeways in those areas I think?

32andBelow

Mon May 23, 2022 12:38 am

atrude777 wrote:
Scottsbluff-BFF has rejected both Southern Airways and Boutique's Proposal claiming single engine operations.

Source: https://nptelegraph.com/news/airport-au ... b3fb1.html

Scottsbluff's Rejection:
Western Nebraska Regional Airport board members Wednesday rejected EAS bids from both Boutique and Southern, Scottsbluff radio station KNEB-AM reported. They were the only ones the Scottsbluff airport received for a successor to SkyWest.

North Platte's Meeting:
The North Platte Airport Authority board will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday to review proposals by Northern Pacific Airways, which would fly 50-seat turbo-prop aircraft, and Boutique Air and Southern Airways Express, both offering to fly small turbo-props of less than 10 passengers.

A lot of communities will be rejecting Southern Airways Express and Boutique due to the Single Engine Operator concerns. Many communities share the concern, once they go to single engine operations, they don't believe they will go back to dual engine.

Alex

It’s not a q400 bid it’s a dash 8-300 bid which is a type they only have 1 of so they would need to buy more.

boacvc10

Mon May 23, 2022 12:38 am

For EAS origin (not destination) pax, is travel time of essence, or days in a week? What size aircraft are common? I (might be wrong here) read earlier in this thread 9-seat or 50-seat, any middle range?

Would a transition to all air side bus service as discussed elsewhere be cheaper per pax given extensive road network with 65-75 mph plus freeways in those areas I think?

JBo

Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 am

boacvc10 wrote:

Once upon a time, most of these EAS routes were operated with 19-35 seat turboprops (Beech 1900s, Saab 340s, Dash 8s, EMB-120s, etc). Those aircraft have largely been retired from service in the U.S. market, leaving only either 50-seat RJs or smaller, 9-seat props to fill the market.

As for the travel time question, it really depends on the type of traveler. Leisure travelers might have more flexibility on time, but business travelers usually want/need early out and late in type of schedules for business travel.

atrude777 wrote:
PAH and MKG also said they were approached about going down to 7 Weekly, but haven't agreed to it yet.

There's a local news article where the MKG airport manager expresses enthusiasm about Southern's added frequency despite the downgauge to smaller aircraft.

It's too bad they couldn't do a split/shared bid for some of these cities where OO operates 1x daily, late in/early out, with Southern operating a couple midday turns for added frequency.

atrude777

Mon May 23, 2022 2:18 am

32andBelow wrote:
It’s not a q400 bid it’s a dash 8-300 bid which is a type they only have 1 of so they would need to buy more.

Thanks!

I caught the error before but it wouldn't let me edit...

Correct: Dash 8-300!

Alex

atrude777

Mon May 23, 2022 2:21 am

JBo wrote:

It's too bad they couldn't do a split/shared bid for some of these cities where OO operates 1x daily, late in/early out, with Southern operating a couple midday turns for added frequency.

Paducah, KY-PAH is trying to do this now with SkyWest and Southern...

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/barkley ... 669d4.html

The letter to DOT lays out the proposal. SkyWest would keep running one round trip flight to Chicago. In addition, Southern Airways would be brought in to run two round trip flights from Paducah to Nashville. Barkley Airport Authority Board Chair Jay Matheny detailed how people that use the airport regularly would benefit.

"This one is a little bit of a different feel to it definitely, but to me I think there's definitely some appeal to being able to book a flight from Paducah," Matheny said. "You know if it's Paducah to Chicago and Chicago to wherever, or Paducah Nashville and Nashville to wherever and it's still, you're still on essentially the same airline."

Alex

sprxUSA

Mon May 23, 2022 2:46 am

About 9X and the Beech, I feel they bait-and-switched by bidding King Airs, only to actually fly with Caravans. And the difference flying thru plains summer heat and storms is a bit different in a CNA and a BEC. I'd rather be higher than most bumps than in their midsts.

Jshank83

Mon May 23, 2022 4:20 am

atrude777 wrote:
JBo wrote:

The letter to DOT lays out the proposal. SkyWest would keep running one round trip flight to Chicago. In addition, Southern Airways would be brought in to run two round trip flights from Paducah to Nashville. Barkley Airport Authority Board Chair Jay Matheny detailed how people that use the airport regularly would benefit.

"This one is a little bit of a different feel to it definitely, but to me I think there's definitely some appeal to being able to book a flight from Paducah," Matheny said. "You know if it's Paducah to Chicago and Chicago to wherever, or Paducah Nashville and Nashville to wherever and it's still, you're still on essentially the same airline."

Alex

I thought DOT already told them no

BangersAndMash

Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 am

boacvc10 wrote:

Contour and Denver Air Connection fly 30 seaters (ERJ135/145 configured with 30 seats or Dornier 328 respectively). The Metroliner is technically a 19-seat aircraft but DAC configure them as 9 seaters.

Bus service is a potential solution for some markets, but not for all. Some of these places are pretty isolated. Also, it's going to be politically difficult to implement. EAS communities tend to be very attached to their air service.

On service patterns, EAS is supposed to be an economic development tool. Minimum EAS requirements state 2x daily (2x daily weekdays, 1x daily weekends is common) to a large or medium categorised hub airport to allow same day businesss trips. Markets served by small turboprops typically see more frequencies than that.

atrude777

Mon May 23, 2022 3:29 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
atrude777 wrote:
JBo wrote:

Alex

I thought DOT already told them no

I had thought so too..this article says as of three days ago it's still on the table...

https://www.paducahsun.com/news/barkley ... 436b1.html

In early May, Barkley proposed twice-daily flights to Nashville and once-daily to Chicago with SkyWest Airlines. The deal is yet to be confirmed.

Alex

atrude777

Mon May 23, 2022 7:36 pm

https://airlinegeeks.com/2022/05/23/the ... s-leaving/

I was going to try and put together a summary but everything kept changing!

This article has a good summary of the cities, the bids, proposals, and a little route map too!

Alex

dalmit

Mon May 23, 2022 9:20 pm

Boutique submitted proposals for 21 cities. What if they are awarded all of them or even 50% of them? I can't imagine they have that many planes and crews and they are spread out all over the country.

Here is a link to the gcmap of all the cities Boutique bid on. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bna-cgi/pa ... ct-iah/dfw

BangersAndMash

Mon May 23, 2022 10:00 pm

dalmit wrote:
Boutique submitted proposals for 21 cities. What if they are awarded all of them or even 50% of them? I can't imagine they have that many planes and crews and they are spread out all over the country.

Here is a link to the gcmap of all the cities Boutique bid on. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bna-cgi/pa ... ct-iah/dfw

They won't get nowhere near 50%. Actually, they may well not get any at all! Boutique's strategy is to apply for as many markets as they can in the hope that one of them sticks.

Anything Contour or DAC applied for will go to them. These communities simply won't pass up jet service with a dependable carrier. And among turboprop operators, Boutique are at a disadvantage against Southern due to their unreliability. Besides, many communities will rather accept reduced jet service on OO than go for turboprops.

atrude777

Wed May 25, 2022 6:42 pm

Kearney's Time to Comment...

https://kearneyhub.com/news/local/big-c ... c64fa.html

Morgan said Kearney has asked DOT to extend the time to review the proposals beyond June 10. Under its federal contact, SkyWest must continue serving Kearney until June 10, but the federal extension would temporarily prevent SkyWest from discontinuing its service from Kearney.

Morgan said it’s possible that SkyWest might decide against dropping its Kearney service and rescind its notice to discontinue flying from Kearney. Since the Utah-based commuter airline began serving Kearney, SkyWest has achieve record passenger volume month after month.

Hays, Kansas has a very good article here...Hays is rejecting Boutique's Bid as well.

https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-05-23/ho ... al-economy

Hays’ airport just held a 60-day application period to see if any other airlines are interested in coming to town. But it received just one proposal. That came from a boutique commuter air service company in California whose airplanes only have room for about 10 people.

Now that Hays’ passenger traffic has ticked back up toward what it was in pre-pandemic times, Salter said, those small planes wouldn’t cut it. SkyWest’s planes hold around 50 people.

“We don't have any intention of recommending to go with the bid that we received,” Salter said. “The capacity just doesn't meet our needs.”

As the week progresses we may see more rejections going further...

Most airports don't want...

*8-9 Seater Aircraft
*Single Engine Operation
*Reduction down to 8-9 and waiving the 15-30 Seat Aircraft

Alex

BangersAndMash

Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Sounds like some of these airport managers are day-dreaming. It won't be pretty when the bubble bursts. Some hard choices will have to be made.

Kearney will be fine either way. Hays, and many smaller markets like it, on the other hand, may have to swallow that pride. Or accept lower frequencies from OO for God knows how long.

atrude777

Wed May 25, 2022 8:35 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Sounds like some of these airport managers are day-dreaming. It won't be pretty when the bubble bursts. Some hard choices will have to be made.

Kearney will be fine either way. Hays, and many smaller markets like it, on the other hand, may have to swallow that pride. Or accept lower frequencies from OO for God knows how long.

That's what they are willing to do, accept the SkyWest reduction to 7 weekly until the end of the contract.

Most of these contracts were just renewed, so they will have SkyWest for 2-3 more years depending.

One daily 50 seat even without frequency is STILL more seats then 4 daily 8-10 Seat Aircraft.

Alex

Jshank83

Wed May 25, 2022 8:43 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

I still don't see why so many are accepting the lower frequencies, especially if they have never had single engine before.

The way I understand it is Skywest has to stay until someone else suitable is found. If a community has never signed a waiver to allow single engine, I am pretty sure DOT can't force single engine on them since EAS requires 2 without a waiver.

So if they don't sign a waiver, no dual engine airline bids, they reject all one engine bids due to it not being to EAS standards.... then DOT is going to make Skywest stay with the original contract.

DiamondFlyer

Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I still don't see why so many are accepting the lower frequencies, especially if they have never had single engine before.

The way I understand it is Skywest has to stay until someone else suitable is found. If a community has never signed a waiver to allow single engine, I am pretty sure DOT can't force single engine on them since EAS requires 2 without a waiver.

So if they don't sign a waiver, no dual engine airline bids, they reject all one engine bids due to it not being to EAS standards.... then DOT is going to make Skywest stay with the original contract.

That may well be the case, but then don't be surprised when Skywest cancels 75% of that EAS flying because they don't have the crews.

atrude777

Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

That may well be the case, but then don't be surprised when Skywest cancels 75% of that EAS flying because they don't have the crews.

Many communities as been posted above (I am counting 5-7 so far) are agreeing to waive the 12-14 Weekly requirements and go down to 7 Weekly so that SkyWest doesn't have to face cancellations for pilot shortage.

That's the communities response to keep SkyWest and also reduce the frequency so that SkyWest isn't having to resort to that.

Alex

DiamondFlyer

Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 pm

atrude777 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Many communities as been posted above (I am counting 5-7 so far) are agreeing to waive the 12-14 Weekly requirements and go down to 7 Weekly so that SkyWest doesn't have to face cancellations for pilot shortage.

That's the communities response to keep SkyWest and also reduce the frequency so that SkyWest isn't having to resort to that.

Alex

The way things are going, these communities are going to be lucky to get 7 flights a week from Skywest. All of the regionals are falling apart, and they're going to prioritize 70 & 76 seat flying, and dump the 50 seat flying.

DakotaFlyer

Wed May 25, 2022 9:27 pm

I wonder what the immediate future holds for "larger" EAS flights with the pilot shortage? My home airport BJI is still being served twice daily to MSP, but I wonder how long that will be sustainable? There are also places like Ironwood, Sidney, and Mason City that problem just made the first round cut.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos