Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 26705
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:26 am

FAA head Steve Dickson has announced he will be leaving his post effective March 31st.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... pping-down

While he was appointed 3-years ago following the MAX fallout to much fanfare, it's probably time a new head is brought in to build back confidence in the embattled agency after a string of issues including the recent 5G debacle.
 
sxf24
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:21 am

I wonder if the lack of leadership at the top will further paralyze the FAA.
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:57 am

WOW!! I can’t blame him…. Dealt with a lot and everyone wants to enjoy retirement and not work forever. I wonder who is on the horizon as this is only 2 weeks notice
 
Dreamflight767
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:16 am

LOL. Typical. Another lame dud. It's just a revolving door at the FAA. Holding the administrators position is merely a selfish, political career step toward wanting something more. Worst part, none of these people are held accountable for their weak, expensive, useless performance. He'll just get a job as an FAA consultant, aviation lobbyist, or some head position at a company he's awarded a contract to while administrator. Either way, he'll get big money where ever he goes.

I'll always have that corny PR imagine of him waving out of the MAX cockpit window in his blue personalized jacket. His operational people were so pissed at him for the way he was handling COVID and here is just joy riding and advertising the MAX for Boeing. Makes me sick. He should be ashamed of himself but of course the FAA is going to write a kind appreciation farewell letter listing all his "accomplishments" and the "SAFETY" he's overseen/brought to the flying public.
Last edited by Dreamflight767 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
WkndWanderer
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:18 am

Would not be surprised if the pending IG investigation into accountability for the MAX and the FAA’s role in the 5G debacle factored into his decision.
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Scotron12
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:19 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
WOW!! I can’t blame him…. Dealt with a lot and everyone wants to enjoy retirement and not work forever. I wonder who is on the horizon as this is only 2 weeks notice


I think you mean months. But, I do hope they have a replacement soonest. Last time it took a while IIRC?
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21506
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:54 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
I wonder who is on the horizon as this is only 2 weeks notice


I have no idea who may replace Dickson, but you definitely need a new calendar! :wink2:
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:32 pm

Good riddance. Law passed new minimum rest rules in 2019 and they are STILL not implemented.

Useless bureaucrats.
 
travaz
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:37 pm

According to Glass Door it is between 138 K to 197K
 
Karlsands
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:49 pm

Now let’s lower that ATP requirement
 
sxf24
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:25 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
Would not be surprised if the pending IG investigation into accountability for the MAX and the FAA’s role in the 5G debacle factored into his decision.


I’ve heard lawmakers calling for investigations, but nothing on the IG actually digging into these topics again.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5657
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:35 pm

travaz wrote:
According to Glass Door it is between 138 K to 197K


Not enough to live comfortably in any 'high rent' city.
 
IAHFLYR
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:56 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:46 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Not enough to live comfortably in any 'high rent' city.


Exactly, or in even a mid level rent city.
 
JoseSalazar
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:57 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Good riddance. Law passed new minimum rest rules in 2019 and they are STILL not implemented.

Useless bureaucrats.

I’m sure amidst covid, MAX, 5G, and several other issues, flight attendant rest rules are right at the top of the list of things to do.
 
Sancho99504
Posts: 871
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:44 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:17 pm

It's easy to lay all the blame on Dickinson but has anyone put much thought into the people he was tasked with managing? They're the same people previous administrators had to deal with and you can't fire them like you can private sector employees unless you're Ronald Reagan.

Also, if you took the time to read what he said, he said "I'm done, it's time to go." Maybe it's something more, but I took that to mean that he can't do anything because the FAA is just another bloated, overweight and shortsighted government bureaucracy.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 11605
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:41 pm

Dreamflight767 wrote:
I'll always have that corny PR imagine of him waving out of the MAX cockpit window in his blue personalized jacket. His operational people were so pissed at him for the way he was handling COVID and here is just joy riding and advertising the MAX for Boeing.

So the whole MAX saga and the current delays Boeing has dealing with FAA certification including the 787 is him helping Boeing?
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:30 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
Good riddance. Law passed new minimum rest rules in 2019 and they are STILL not implemented.

Useless bureaucrats.

I’m sure amidst covid, MAX, 5G, and several other issues, flight attendant rest rules are right at the top of the list of things to do.


Get over yourself. Workers rights are human rights. It should not take three years to enact a simple rule that we the people, through our legislators, passed into law.
 
JRL3289
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:25 am

IAHFLYR wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
Not enough to live comfortably in any 'high rent' city.


Exactly, or in even a mid level rent city.


Define "comfortably".
 
JoseSalazar
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:37 am

CobaltScar wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
Good riddance. Law passed new minimum rest rules in 2019 and they are STILL not implemented.

Useless bureaucrats.

I’m sure amidst covid, MAX, 5G, and several other issues, flight attendant rest rules are right at the top of the list of things to do.


Get over yourself. Workers rights are human rights. It should not take three years to enact a simple rule that we the people, through our legislators, passed into law.

No need to get over myself. I just understand how it works. Flight attendant duty/rest restrictions just don’t garner the attention of other issues that actually impact the airline industry and flight safety. When planes crashed because of pilot rest issues, that’s when change happened. I don’t foresee planes crashing because FAs are tired, so I don’t see it getting a ton of attention. Not when issues like 5G, MAX, and other stuff that can cause crashes is taking up FAA resources. And a unionized FA in the US complaining about human rights? Seriously?
 
32andBelow
Posts: 6359
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:05 am

Airlines have the option to run the same rules for flight attendants. Maybe people should pressure the airline.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11637
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:43 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:
LOL. Typical. Another lame dud. It's just a revolving door at the FAA. Holding the administrators position is merely a selfish, political career step toward wanting something more. Worst part, none of these people are held accountable for their weak, expensive, useless performance. He'll just get a job as an FAA consultant, aviation lobbyist, or some head position at a company he's awarded a contract to while administrator. Either way, he'll get big money where ever he goes.

I'll always have that corny PR imagine of him waving out of the MAX cockpit window in his blue personalized jacket. His operational people were so pissed at him for the way he was handling COVID and here is just joy riding and advertising the MAX for Boeing. Makes me sick. He should be ashamed of himself but of course the FAA is going to write a kind appreciation farewell letter listing all his "accomplishments" and the "SAFETY" he's overseen/brought to the flying public.


Well, the guy was a senior executive at DL, he's a high-time ATP with a lot of ratings. He hand-flew the MAX personally after the changes were made. He's going home to Atlanta to hang with his family. I don't disagree with your characterizations of the Swamp, but I'm not sure this guy is that guy.

Dave Hinson was a similar-background FAA administrator, except he had founded and operated an airline as well.

Pretty-sure Biden will find somebody without those credentials but who fit his view of what a government administrator should look like.
 
reltney
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:38 am

Geeze…. He was released from Delta and resigns from the FAA……. Leadership at its best..

I had a sim flight with him and was not impressed. The iPad/tablet failure and the enormous issues with the 350 really set the tone of his abilities and decision making.

Hope he enjoys retirement. As we said…Good riddance
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5657
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:36 pm

Isn't the FAA doing better now than it was doing before the MAX debacle? He inherited leadership in an almost morally bankrupt FAA, and a lot of improvements have occurred under or during his leadership. I think people on line here often do not appreciate the difficulty of change in a bureaucracy, dealing with congress, and dealing with airlines and their employees. They all have their agendas, which often do not align.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 13821
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:40 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Isn't the FAA doing better now than it was doing before the MAX debacle? He inherited leadership in an almost morally bankrupt FAA, and a lot of improvements have occurred under or during his leadership. I think people on line here often do not appreciate the difficulty of change in a bureaucracy, dealing with congress, and dealing with airlines and their employees. They all have their agendas, which often do not align.

The whole 5G debacle has shown that FAA still needs a lot of work and reflects very poorly on them. Things like that are beginning to make people in industry wonder if things like slow Max 7 certification and getting 787 deliveries started to again are more because of FAA issues than Boeing issues…
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5657
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:07 pm

There is no doubt that 2019 showed that the FAA needed a lot of work. I merely assert things have significantly moved forward.
 
IADCA
Posts: 2724
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:31 pm

JRL3289 wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
Not enough to live comfortably in any 'high rent' city.


Exactly, or in even a mid level rent city.


Define "comfortably".


In this case, perhaps the approximate standard to which even a mid-level corporate executive would typically live. The pay for senior government positions is simply not commensurate with that, and DC is very expensive. For comparison, I made as much money as Dickson currently does when I was a 25-year-old first-year associate at the DC office of a major law firm, and that was well over a decade ago; such junior lawyers now make significantly more.
 
iamlucky13
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:03 pm

I can't speak to other criticisms of Dickson, but the following all fell apart for me when I actually dug into the background of the 5G issue:

LAXintl wrote:
...including the recent 5G debacle.


WkndWanderer wrote:
...and the FAA’s role in the 5G debacle factored into his decision.


Polot wrote:
The whole 5G debacle has shown that FAA still needs a lot of work and reflects very poorly on them.


It was a frustrating and major inconvenience for some, but hardly debacle level. They started evaluating the concern at least back in 2020. When it was clear that certification of older altimeters would not complete in time for the spectrum handover, the FCC started working on the alternative means ahead of time, and negotiated with the wireless carriers for additional time to implement that effort. When that ran out, they made the unpopular decision to be conservative for the sake of safety and put the approach restrictions in place.

I'm sure the FAA could have moved faster to stay ahead of this one, and that they have no shortage of other problems, but why does everyone keep ignoring the FCC's role in this? Why is it Steve Dickson's fault that Ajit Pai from the FCC unilaterally cut the time frame for the C-band changover from 42 months down to 18 months?

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 4655A1.pdf

Mind you, Pai's decision was not an unbiased one. It pulled ahead $70 billion in net spectrum auction revenue, which was no small political feather in his cap. Safety concerns were another agency's problem, not his.
 
kalvado
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:15 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
I can't speak to other criticisms of Dickson, but the following all fell apart for me when I actually dug into the background of the 5G issue:

LAXintl wrote:
...including the recent 5G debacle.


WkndWanderer wrote:
...and the FAA’s role in the 5G debacle factored into his decision.


Polot wrote:
The whole 5G debacle has shown that FAA still needs a lot of work and reflects very poorly on them.


It was a frustrating and major inconvenience for some, but hardly debacle level. They started evaluating the concern at least back in 2020. When it was clear that certification of older altimeters would not complete in time for the spectrum handover, the FCC started working on the alternative means ahead of time, and negotiated with the wireless carriers for additional time to implement that effort. When that ran out, they made the unpopular decision to be conservative for the sake of safety and put the approach restrictions in place.

I'm sure the FAA could have moved faster to stay ahead of this one, and that they have no shortage of other problems, but why does everyone keep ignoring the FCC's role in this? Why is it Steve Dickson's fault that Ajit Pai from the FCC unilaterally cut the time frame for the C-band changover from 42 months down to 18 months?

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 4655A1.pdf

Mind you, Pai's decision was not an unbiased one. It pulled ahead $70 billion in net spectrum auction revenue, which was no small political feather in his cap. Safety concerns were another agency's problem, not his.

I have a large bridge on the major interstate I need to sell ASAP. Are you interested?

5G was as bad as it could be. I wonder if Dickson was actually resigned before last 2 week postponement once things got moving a bit.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 13821
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:37 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
I can't speak to other criticisms of Dickson, but the following all fell apart for me when I actually dug into the background of the 5G issue:

LAXintl wrote:
...including the recent 5G debacle.


WkndWanderer wrote:
...and the FAA’s role in the 5G debacle factored into his decision.


Polot wrote:
The whole 5G debacle has shown that FAA still needs a lot of work and reflects very poorly on them.


It was a frustrating and major inconvenience for some, but hardly debacle level. They started evaluating the concern at least back in 2020. When it was clear that certification of older altimeters would not complete in time for the spectrum handover, the FCC started working on the alternative means ahead of time, and negotiated with the wireless carriers for additional time to implement that effort. When that ran out, they made the unpopular decision to be conservative for the sake of safety and put the approach restrictions in place.

I'm sure the FAA could have moved faster to stay ahead of this one, and that they have no shortage of other problems, but why does everyone keep ignoring the FCC's role in this? Why is it Steve Dickson's fault that Ajit Pai from the FCC unilaterally cut the time frame for the C-band changover from 42 months down to 18 months?

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 4655A1.pdf

Mind you, Pai's decision was not an unbiased one. It pulled ahead $70 billion in net spectrum auction revenue, which was no small political feather in his cap. Safety concerns were another agency's problem, not his.

The speed at which planes were suddenly approved after the deadline is what raises eyebrows.

It suggests that FAA suddenly rushed after deadline, in which there is greater chance for safety error, or that FAA were dragging their feet beforehand and approval should not have been difficult/taken so long to get.

To be effective you need to strike a balance between not kowtowing to industry while still acting in reasonable and effective timespans so the industry is not brought to a crippling halt waiting for you.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 2125
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:53 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:
LOL. Typical. Another lame dud. It's just a revolving door at the FAA. Holding the administrators position is merely a selfish, political career step toward wanting something more. Worst part, none of these people are held accountable for their weak, expensive, useless performance. He'll just get a job as an FAA consultant, aviation lobbyist, or some head position at a company he's awarded a contract to while administrator. Either way, he'll get big money where ever he goes.

I'll always have that corny PR imagine of him waving out of the MAX cockpit window in his blue personalized jacket. His operational people were so pissed at him for the way he was handling COVID and here is just joy riding and advertising the MAX for Boeing. Makes me sick. He should be ashamed of himself but of course the FAA is going to write a kind appreciation farewell letter listing all his "accomplishments" and the "SAFETY" he's overseen/brought to the flying public.


Well, the guy was a senior executive at DL, he's a high-time ATP with a lot of ratings. He hand-flew the MAX personally after the changes were made. He's going home to Atlanta to hang with his family. I don't disagree with your characterizations of the Swamp, but I'm not sure this guy is that guy.

Dave Hinson was a similar-background FAA administrator, except he had founded and operated an airline as well.

Pretty-sure Biden will find somebody without those credentials but who fit his view of what a government administrator should look like.

Is that a bad thing? I'm not sure how knowing how to fly a plane really helps to manage the FAA. Seems to me that knowing how to manage a large organization with a strong political influence would be most appropriate.
 
kalvado
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:56 pm

Polot wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
I can't speak to other criticisms of Dickson, but the following all fell apart for me when I actually dug into the background of the 5G issue:

LAXintl wrote:
...including the recent 5G debacle.


WkndWanderer wrote:
...and the FAA’s role in the 5G debacle factored into his decision.


Polot wrote:
The whole 5G debacle has shown that FAA still needs a lot of work and reflects very poorly on them.


It was a frustrating and major inconvenience for some, but hardly debacle level. They started evaluating the concern at least back in 2020. When it was clear that certification of older altimeters would not complete in time for the spectrum handover, the FCC started working on the alternative means ahead of time, and negotiated with the wireless carriers for additional time to implement that effort. When that ran out, they made the unpopular decision to be conservative for the sake of safety and put the approach restrictions in place.

I'm sure the FAA could have moved faster to stay ahead of this one, and that they have no shortage of other problems, but why does everyone keep ignoring the FCC's role in this? Why is it Steve Dickson's fault that Ajit Pai from the FCC unilaterally cut the time frame for the C-band changover from 42 months down to 18 months?

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 4655A1.pdf

Mind you, Pai's decision was not an unbiased one. It pulled ahead $70 billion in net spectrum auction revenue, which was no small political feather in his cap. Safety concerns were another agency's problem, not his.

The speed at which planes were suddenly approved after the deadline is what raises eyebrows.

It suggests that FAA suddenly rushed after deadline, in which there is greater chance for safety error, or that FAA were dragging their feet beforehand and approval should not have been difficult/taken so long to get.

To be effective you need to strike a balance between not kowtowing to industry while still acting in reasonable and effective timespans so the industry is not brought to a crippling halt waiting for you.

Looks like there was a total lack of leadership and enforcement on behalf of FAA.
There is an official frantic letter from 5G consortium saying that they cannot get information from radalt manufacturers to decide where to go.
I suspect that at some point Honeywell just told FAA and FCC to go and have an intercourse with themselves - and FAA sobbed, but took out their toy.
My impression that at some point someone else took control at some point - likely when last 2 week delay was granted - and I would expect that someone to become the next faa administrator.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 3258
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:05 pm

reltney wrote:
Geeze…. He was released from Delta and resigns from the FAA……. Leadership at its best..

I had a sim flight with him and was not impressed. The iPad/tablet failure and the enormous issues with the 350 really set the tone of his abilities and decision making.

Hope he enjoys retirement. As we said…Good riddance

Enormous issues with the 350??? What are you talking about?
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:23 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
I’m sure amidst covid, MAX, 5G, and several other issues, flight attendant rest rules are right at the top of the list of things to do.


Get over yourself. Workers rights are human rights. It should not take three years to enact a simple rule that we the people, through our legislators, passed into law.

No need to get over myself. I just understand how it works. Flight attendant duty/rest restrictions just don’t garner the attention of other issues that actually impact the airline industry and flight safety. When planes crashed because of pilot rest issues, that’s when change happened. I don’t foresee planes crashing because FAs are tired, so I don’t see it getting a ton of attention. Not when issues like 5G, MAX, and other stuff that can cause crashes is taking up FAA resources. And a unionized FA in the US complaining about human rights? Seriously?


This thread is full of nothing but distain at the incompetence of the FAA, including phrases such as "morally bankrupt", so stop making excuses for them for not honoring the will of the people as expressed into law. Word already got out that Delta pressured/bullied them into dragging their feet on the rest rule for profits sake and the morally bankrupt leadership of the FAA was too weak willed to resist them. What grabs attention should have nothing to do with enforcing lawfully passed laws.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11637
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:29 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:
LOL. Typical. Another lame dud. It's just a revolving door at the FAA. Holding the administrators position is merely a selfish, political career step toward wanting something more. Worst part, none of these people are held accountable for their weak, expensive, useless performance. He'll just get a job as an FAA consultant, aviation lobbyist, or some head position at a company he's awarded a contract to while administrator. Either way, he'll get big money where ever he goes.

I'll always have that corny PR imagine of him waving out of the MAX cockpit window in his blue personalized jacket. His operational people were so pissed at him for the way he was handling COVID and here is just joy riding and advertising the MAX for Boeing. Makes me sick. He should be ashamed of himself but of course the FAA is going to write a kind appreciation farewell letter listing all his "accomplishments" and the "SAFETY" he's overseen/brought to the flying public.


Well, the guy was a senior executive at DL, he's a high-time ATP with a lot of ratings. He hand-flew the MAX personally after the changes were made. He's going home to Atlanta to hang with his family. I don't disagree with your characterizations of the Swamp, but I'm not sure this guy is that guy.

Dave Hinson was a similar-background FAA administrator, except he had founded and operated an airline as well.

Pretty-sure Biden will find somebody without those credentials but who fit his view of what a government administrator should look like.

Is that a bad thing? I'm not sure how knowing how to fly a plane really helps to manage the FAA. Seems to me that knowing how to manage a large organization with a strong political influence would be most appropriate.


You mean like Delta?
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:30 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Airlines have the option to run the same rules for flight attendants. Maybe people should pressure the airline.



Then why did we bother voting in officials to pass laws in the first place if rule by public coercion supposedly works better?

People should demand and expect their government to work for them and not take three years to enforce a very simple rule.
 
reltney
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:48 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
reltney wrote:
Geeze…. He was released from Delta and resigns from the FAA……. Leadership at its best..

I had a sim flight with him and was not impressed. The iPad/tablet failure and the enormous issues with the 350 really set the tone of his abilities and decision making.

Hope he enjoys retirement. As we said…Good riddance

Enormous issues with the 350??? What are you talking about?



OMG it was horrible. All mainly due to Delta. The plane is fine. They could not crew the plane due to big training issues. The overtime the rated pilots got went over 1 Mil yearly pay for many Capt’s. The interface with the tablet then IPad was monstrous. They put the plane on the same routes as the 747 and would have to leave 30 -40 seats empty . Enormous is the wrong word…horrendous is better word. Most have been solved. All were Dickson errors.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 11612
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:48 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Airlines have the option to run the same rules for flight attendants. Maybe people should pressure the airline.



Then why did we bother voting in officials to pass laws in the first place if rule by public coercion supposedly works better?

People should demand and expect their government to work for them and not take three years to enforce a very simple rule.


That's going well off-topic, and shows a lack of familiarity with the Administrative Procedure Act, as amended.

It's necessary to recognize the role of the FAA Administrator (a political appointee expected to carry out the executive will of the President) and the career employees of the FAA tasked with promulgating rules and doing enforcement. It's not a question of leadership - career employees of all executive agencies are expected to perform on auto-pilot (pun intended), completing necessary duties under the law irrespective of the current occupant of the White House. It gets back to the establishment of a profesional civil service ~150 years ago.

In Dickson, Trump did not get a charismatic, high-communicating character with a record of executive achievement. Trump's list of losers is too long to count. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... cketology/
 
USAirKid
Posts: 1445
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:34 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
It was a frustrating and major inconvenience for some, but hardly debacle level. They started evaluating the concern at least back in 2020. When it was clear that certification of older altimeters would not complete in time for the spectrum handover, the FCC started working on the alternative means ahead of time, and negotiated with the wireless carriers for additional time to implement that effort. When that ran out, they made the unpopular decision to be conservative for the sake of safety and put the approach restrictions in place.

I'm sure the FAA could have moved faster to stay ahead of this one, and that they have no shortage of other problems, but why does everyone keep ignoring the FCC's role in this? Why is it Steve Dickson's fault that Ajit Pai from the FCC unilaterally cut the time frame for the C-band changeover from 42 months down to 18 months?


Because the FAA should have gotten out ahead of this. They had those 18 months, and it appears they mostly did nothing until the final months, and much of that was complaining instead of actually addressing the problem. When they got to addressing the problem, it was bandaided in about a month, with the potential for future work to be done.
 
dynamo12
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:07 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:21 pm

The FAA stuff (under DOT and Buttigeg as well BTW) with 5G was appalling.

This is stuff years in planning. The aircraft equipment never had a right to spectrum outside the altimeter band.

The guard bands were huge anyways.

If anything FAA should have been breathing down equipment makers necks to either certify or update. Instead we got this last minute baloney that the telecoms rightfully pushed back on.

So so disappointing, both with head of FAA but also buttigeg. Then they just were spinning in circiles.

Hey, why not fly 20 flights over 5G test sites and see what happens with radar altimeters?

I looked into some of their "studies" embarrassing - and this undermined confidence in their warnings I think from others (FCC / Telecoms).
 
airplaneboy
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:59 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:08 am

dynamo12 wrote:
The FAA stuff (under DOT and Buttigeg as well BTW) with 5G was appalling.

This is stuff years in planning. The aircraft equipment never had a right to spectrum outside the altimeter band.

The guard bands were huge anyways.

If anything FAA should have been breathing down equipment makers necks to either certify or update. Instead we got this last minute baloney that the telecoms rightfully pushed back on.

So so disappointing, both with head of FAA but also buttigeg. Then they just were spinning in circiles.

Hey, why not fly 20 flights over 5G test sites and see what happens with radar altimeters?

I looked into some of their "studies" embarrassing - and this undermined confidence in their warnings I think from others (FCC / Telecoms).


It’s amazing how lobbying is legal in the US which jeopardizes the safety of Americans.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 5343
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:25 am

travaz wrote:
According to Glass Door it is between 138 K to 197K

I don't know that I've seen the published pay for the administrator, but top tier FAA management was capped right around 191k for 2021. Most upper management at headquarters earns at least 180k. Since the administrator is appointed rather than career, I would expect the salary to be closer to 200k, if not slightly more.

To put that into perspective, many controllers at level 12 facilities easily earn in excess of 200k with overtime, and earning upwards of 225k at some facilities is relatively common.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 13821
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:01 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
travaz wrote:
According to Glass Door it is between 138 K to 197K

I don't know that I've seen the published pay for the administrator, but top tier FAA management was capped right around 191k for 2021. Most upper management at headquarters earns at least 180k. Since the administrator is appointed rather than career, I would expect the salary to be closer to 200k, if not slightly more.

To put that into perspective, many controllers at level 12 facilities easily earn in excess of 200k with overtime, and earning upwards of 225k at some facilities is relatively common.


Federal employee wages are a matter of public record, whether that employee works at the very top of an organization or is just a low level peon. There are plenty of websites devoted to this information that will tell you how much a specific employee made. Wages are set by Congress with locality adjustments, it doesn’t matter if you are appointed or career.

In 2020 Stephen M Dickson made $183,100 from his job at the FAA. That number would probably be higher in 2021 due to standard step increases, cost of living adjustments, etc.

Important to remember that many administrators (no matter agency) are already independently wealthy, and taking the job opens up a lot of doors and connections that ensure you are set up sitting pretty when you move on so you are never struggling.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 2125
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:19 pm

wjcandee wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Well, the guy was a senior executive at DL, he's a high-time ATP with a lot of ratings. He hand-flew the MAX personally after the changes were made. He's going home to Atlanta to hang with his family. I don't disagree with your characterizations of the Swamp, but I'm not sure this guy is that guy.

Dave Hinson was a similar-background FAA administrator, except he had founded and operated an airline as well.

Pretty-sure Biden will find somebody without those credentials but who fit his view of what a government administrator should look like.

Is that a bad thing? I'm not sure how knowing how to fly a plane really helps to manage the FAA. Seems to me that knowing how to manage a large organization with a strong political influence would be most appropriate.


You mean like Delta?

Maybe, but the politics at Delta are nothing like the actual politics in Washington. I'm not saying a high ranking airline manager can't do the job, just that the idea the good businessmen make good politicians has been proven to be crap many times over. Anyway, here is an article that mentions some of the possible replacements with a focus on John Boccieri, since it is a Cleveland source and he is an Ohio guy.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/02/ ... rator.html
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5657
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:22 pm

A side not, mostly on topic: Managing a bureaucracy, governing a country, directing foreign policy are seldom things which someone able to do and achieve all goals. A lot of times about the best that can be done is a C-minus, B-plus is likely better than can be achieved 90%(?) of the time.
 
JayinKitsap
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am

Re: FAA administrator Steve Dickson resigns

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:45 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
A side not, mostly on topic: Managing a bureaucracy, governing a country, directing foreign policy are seldom things which someone able to do and achieve all goals. A lot of times about the best that can be done is a C-minus, B-plus is likely better than can be achieved 90%(?) of the time.


Well said, someone coming in to head a bureaucracy can only change the course a bit with all of the inertia there. 90% of the time the empire remains unchanged. I think Dickson actually did a lot in 2.5 years, lifted the FAA from the very bottom with improvements starting, still a very long way to go.

There are aircraft still flying that were designed by slide rule with drawings on Mylar. To properly design &/or review an OEM's digital design takes a whole slew of information in digital form that likely doesn't exist unless a clean sheet. For like the 777, existing certified parts won't need to be re-certified, but a digital twin of this part needs to be created to insert into the digital design of the 77X, how else can one determine that pilot action will be easy in 2 seconds or take minutes to happen. Getting this process going is a good accomplishment for Dickson, but the changes at the FAA are far from over.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos