Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dredgy

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2022

Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:54 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Bonza announces Tamworth to MEL and MCY as a late addition to the Bonza route map. Twice-weekly from both bases.

MEL has a good chance of working, but for MCY there are some questions whether that may work, IMO, despite MCY also having the North Brisbane (Moreton Bay) catchment alongside the Noosa and Gympie areas.

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article ... -tamworth/

A lot of the MCY routes will depend on pricing I think. Sunshine Coast is a good tourist destination and cheap tickets should stimulate demand. If the flights are $50 each way I think there's a lot to be said.

FL420FT

Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:03 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Was SIN part of the deal with PAPL to use T3/T4? If not does this mean prior restrictions have been removed? I assume FCO will operate 3/4 ?

PER-SIN was operated from T3 pre-Covid. The talk around the time JNB plans were shelved was that PAPL had agreed to SIN/AKL/LHR/CDG/FRA. Obviously I’ve never seen the contract, but I suspect it is SIN+AKL+Europe, and that CDG/FRA were media speculation rather than carved in stone, so FCO therefore complies.

I wonder if PAPL/QF have indeed come to an agreement regarding T3 as QF have only just recently confirmed permanent closure of the their T1 lounge suggesting they wont be returning there

Checked GDS today, it showed that the SIN, LHR (when it resumes) and FCO (when it commences) ex PER will be T4 departures. How accurate this is, anyones guess.

aerokiwi

Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:08 am

Obzerva wrote:
In case anyone missed it, today marked the start of Link doing VA's SYD-CBR flights after a few delayed start dates.

Finally! Does anyone know what the holdup was? The number of times I booked and had to get refunded (OK just twice but irritating).

I notice they board from gate 47 at T2 in SYD which means a bus transfer. Now if you don't get a 717 with Qantas - and they seem to focus on Dash's during some pretty key periods - it's potluck about how and where you board your QF dash. If it's from gates 1B or C in SYD, expect to stand in a dank old bus with almost no seating and the doors wide open for 10-15 minutes, sweating through your work getup in a wet n humid Sydney summer.

REX on the other hand have a much more pleasant system, boarding you onto the bus at the last possible minute, with air conditioning, plenty of seating and clear information and instruction from staff.

For QF to have such a ramshackle and messy boarding experience for Canberra flights where most travellers are dolled up for immediate meetings on arrival, is weird. And for the premium QF charges you get a really really poor experience. Return from CBR is fine but that's a much nicer terminal experience all round.

If Virgin can just be better than QF on the Sydney Airport experience (using Gate 31 - or is it 33, where the ATRs used to park - would be ideal), then I can see them doing just fine. I continue to be blown away at how ordinary QF is in a lot of its ops. Perhaps they need to blow away some COVID cobwebs and fix the small things to warrant their premium.

RyanairGuru

Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:38 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
In case anyone missed it, today marked the start of Link doing VA's SYD-CBR flights after a few delayed start dates.

Finally! Does anyone know what the holdup was? The number of times I booked and had to get refunded (OK just twice but irritating).

I notice they board from gate 47 at T2 in SYD which means a bus transfer. Now if you don't get a 717 with Qantas - and they seem to focus on Dash's during some pretty key periods - it's potluck about how and where you board your QF dash. If it's from gates 1B or C in SYD, expect to stand in a dank old bus with almost no seating and the doors wide open for 10-15 minutes, sweating through your work getup in a wet n humid Sydney summer.

REX on the other hand have a much more pleasant system, boarding you onto the bus at the last possible minute, with air conditioning, plenty of seating and clear information and instruction from staff.

For QF to have such a ramshackle and messy boarding experience for Canberra flights where most travellers are dolled up for immediate meetings on arrival, is weird. And for the premium QF charges you get a really really poor experience. Return from CBR is fine but that's a much nicer terminal experience all round.

If Virgin can just be better than QF on the Sydney Airport experience (using Gate 31 - or is it 33, where the ATRs used to park - would be ideal), then I can see them doing just fine. I continue to be blown away at how ordinary QF is in a lot of its ops. Perhaps they need to blow away some COVID cobwebs and fix the small things to warrant their premium.

Before the pandemic it was almost unheard of for CBR flights to use 1A, 1B, 1C. Qantas almost always parked them on contact stands, generally 16 and 17. Now, though, they are using the remote hardstands more often than not. There’s nothing specific about CBR that means it must use a contact stand per se, but the bussing won’t be popular with the clientele on that route. They didn’t make sure it parked on a contact stand for years just for fun, but these days Qantas just don’t care about providing quality service.

As for Virgin, they probably don’t have enough gates to park the Saabs at the terminal. Someone will have more knowledge, but they gave up gates during administration, and Rex (frequently) and Jetstar (occasionally) now use the Virgin pier. I’m not sure how many gates they gave up, but they would surely be getting stretched for gate space at SYD.

smi0006

Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:54 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Before the pandemic it was almost unheard of for CBR flights to use 1A, 1B, 1C. Qantas almost always parked them on contact stands, generally 16 and 17. Now, though, they are using the remote hardstands more often than not. There’s nothing specific about CBR that means it must use a contact stand per se, but the bussing won’t be popular with the clientele on that route. They didn’t make sure it parked on a contact stand for years just for fun, but these days Qantas just don’t care about providing quality service.

As for Virgin, they probably don’t have enough gates to park the Saabs at the terminal. Someone will have more knowledge, but they gave up gates during administration, and Rex (frequently) and Jetstar (occasionally) now use the Virgin pier. I’m not sure how many gates they gave up, but they would surely be getting stretched for gate space at SYD.

I wonder if also it has to do with QF handing back the lease on the terminal? I suspect SACL now run more more of the operations at the terminal, and are focused on efficiency of the asset not service ( built into their aeronautical pricing just like international) where as QF previously ran the show entirely and could run the entire operation themselves with less concern? Purely speculation, but there is more to this than QF simply not caring.

tullamarine

Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:35 pm

smi0006 wrote:
I wonder if also it has to do with QF handing back the lease on the terminal? I suspect SACL now run more more of the operations at the terminal, and are focused on efficiency of the asset not service ( built into their aeronautical pricing just like international) where as QF previously ran the show entirely and could run the entire operation themselves with less concern? Purely speculation, but there is more to this than QF simply not caring.

It is more about QF being cheap. They have cut costs to the wazoo and their service delivery is suffering. A combination of arrogance and bean-counter dominance has meant that their domestic operation, which was once world-leading, is now pretty average.

They have outsourced so much of the business on a lowest bid wins basis that standards have slipped. Swissport employs less baggage handlers so baggage delivery is slow, terminal transfer busses were outsourced to a bus company who can't use internal roads so that service is completely stuffed and many of the customer service officers in the terminals were retrenched so, if your flight is disrupted and you need to be rebooked or accommodated, you now rely on an app or a phone number that is never answered.

getluv

Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:51 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

It is more about QF being cheap. They have cut costs to the wazoo and their service delivery is suffering. A combination of arrogance and bean-counter dominance has meant that their domestic operation, which was once world-leading, is now pretty average.

They have outsourced so much of the business on a lowest bid wins basis that standards have slipped. Swissport employs less baggage handlers so baggage delivery is slow, terminal transfer busses were outsourced to a bus company who can't use internal roads so that service is completely stuffed and many of the customer service officers in the terminals were retrenched so, if your flight is disrupted and you need to be rebooked or accommodated, you now rely on an app or a phone number that is never answered.

And you can spot a publicly owned airline in the world with a healthier balance sheet, faster call centre times and non-outsourced baggage handling can’t you?

Fuling

Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:14 am

Just landed in HNL and (think) I saw a QF tail parked over by the FedEx/UPS area in the distance. Was I right that it was a QF plane? It also seemed pretty small, like a B737 but could have been an A330. Any info on this?

rtav

Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:32 am

FL420FT wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

PER-SIN was operated from T3 pre-Covid. The talk around the time JNB plans were shelved was that PAPL had agreed to SIN/AKL/LHR/CDG/FRA. Obviously I’ve never seen the contract, but I suspect it is SIN+AKL+Europe, and that CDG/FRA were media speculation rather than carved in stone, so FCO therefore complies.

I wonder if PAPL/QF have indeed come to an agreement regarding T3 as QF have only just recently confirmed permanent closure of the their T1 lounge suggesting they wont be returning there

Checked GDS today, it showed that the SIN, LHR (when it resumes) and FCO (when it commences) ex PER will be T4 departures. How accurate this is, anyones guess.

All QF Int’l ops out of PER should be out of T3, T4 doesn’t have the customs and immigration checkpoint that T3 has and as such is dedicated to domestic flights only.

tullamarine

Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:33 am

getluv wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

And you can spot a publicly owned airline in the world with a healthier balance sheet, faster call centre times and non-outsourced baggage handling can’t you?

Surely you aren't contending that QF has fast call centre performance??? Thousands would disagree.

As for baggage handling, pax do not care whether it is outsourced or not. What they do care about is that it performs well and they rightly blame any non-performance on the airline if it doesn't meet their expectations, exactly the same for terminal transfers.

SYD terminal transfers got a mention on Melbourne radio with a caller saying avoid QF in SYD at all costs. Coincidentally, our company issued an advice to staff today saying that terminal transfers in SYD are now very unreliable and staff are able to seek out other airlines if it avoids SYD even if more expensive. Staff have also been told to not accept the suggested terminal transfer times as per the Qantas website and allow at least 2.5 hours between flights for a transfer if they no alternative but to go via SYD.

qf2220

Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:52 am

Fuling wrote:
Just landed in HNL and (think) I saw a QF tail parked over by the FedEx/UPS area in the distance. Was I right that it was a QF plane? It also seemed pretty small, like a B737 but could have been an A330. Any info on this?

There was a post a week or so ago of one of the Alliance E190s they'd purchased from a Central American carrier (that are painted in QF livery) coming through an airport near San Diego (scroll upthread for a bit). Id suspect it might be that plane or one of its sisters on its way down to Australia on its ferry flight?

See link below for some imagery of what you might be seeing?
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-exp ... 0-100.html

jrfspa320

Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:35 am

rtav wrote:
FL420FT wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

All QF Int’l ops out of PER should be out of T3, T4 doesn’t have the customs and immigration checkpoint that T3 has and as such is dedicated to domestic flights only.

Check-in is actually done in T4 for QF intl. The gates and arrival is T3 but for all intense & purpose its all one terminal basically

EK413

Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:42 am

qf2220 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

There was a post a week or so ago of one of the Alliance E190s they'd purchased from a Central American carrier (that are painted in QF livery) coming through an airport near San Diego (scroll upthread for a bit). Id suspect it might be that plane or one of its sisters on its way down to Australia on its ferry flight?

I believe you meant QQ purchased as QF are only wet leasing the birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qf2220

Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:49 am

EK413 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

I think what youve said isnt inconsistent with what Ive said?

EK413

Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:03 am

qf2220 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Unless you edited it after I responded I read E190’s QF purchased…

qf2220

Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:36 am

EK413 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

I did after re-reading it, so its a timing issue between us both!

Fuling

Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:42 am

qf2220 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

That'll be it! For some reason I thought Flying Colours were doing those in TSV. Anyway, thanks for the response!

a320fan

Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:52 am

tullamarine wrote:
getluv wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Surely you aren't contending that QF has fast call centre performance??? Thousands would disagree.

As for baggage handling, pax do not care whether it is outsourced or not. What they do care about is that it performs well and they rightly blame any non-performance on the airline if it doesn't meet their expectations, exactly the same for terminal transfers.

SYD terminal transfers got a mention on Melbourne radio with a caller saying avoid QF in SYD at all costs. Coincidentally, our company issued an advice to staff today saying that terminal transfers in SYD are now very unreliable and staff are able to seek out other airlines if it avoids SYD even if more expensive. Staff have also been told to not accept the suggested terminal transfer times as per the Qantas website and allow at least 2.5 hours between flights for a transfer if they no alternative but to go via SYD.

Unless you’re a FF or flying on a corporate contract QF currently offers a very limited value proposition for domestic travel. Recently looking at a one way MEL-SYD on a week day about 10 days in advance of travel; JQ were under $60, VA and ZL under $70, QF a blanket $199 on every flight. Surely there’s not enough people willing to pay that much more on a one hour flight so I’m not sure how they are filling seats. Nothing QF offers justifies that price for any average consumer.

FromCDGtoSYD

Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:08 pm

On a slightly unrelated note, flew SYD-MEL with VA today. Security in SYD was absolute chock-a-block, MEL wasn’t any better. VA really needs to open up premium entry/exit because things are picking up big time on the domestic side of things.

ClassicLover

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:55 pm

What's going on with Qantas to Norfolk Island?

All the aviation articles I can see say they're contracted through to 30 June 2022 for the services. However, all the flights beyond that date are on sale. Air New Zealand don't seem to appear to be taking over, as there is no availability on their website at all.

Presumably Qantas is going to continue on longer. Does anyone know anything about it?

eta unknown

Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:23 pm

a320fan wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
getluv wrote:

Unless you’re a FF or flying on a corporate contract QF currently offers a very limited value proposition for domestic travel. Recently looking at a one way MEL-SYD on a week day about 10 days in advance of travel; JQ were under $60, VA and ZL under $70, QF a blanket $199 on every flight. Surely there’s not enough people willing to pay that much more on a one hour flight so I’m not sure how they are filling seats. Nothing QF offers justifies that price for any average consumer.

Probably supply and demand factors at work within the golden triangle routes with a combined population of 10 million. If others fill up, the QF is the last remaining and more expensive option.

SCFlyer

Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:40 am

eta unknown wrote:
a320fan wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Probably supply and demand factors at work within the golden triangle routes with a combined population of 10 million. If others fill up, the QF is the last remaining and more expensive option.

Reportedly a lot of QF's J domestic clients are also pre-booked by companies (not sure how true this is), which would likely leave the remainder with expensive fare buckets in J and/or redemption seats.

Chipmunk1973

Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:54 am

tullamarine wrote:

When I was able to do some travel in 2020/2021, I quite often had to contact the QF call centre to amend reservations as it wouldn't allow it online. As a red and silver FF member, the average wait time to get answered was about 40+ mins. When I got to gold it was a bit better at approx' 15-20 mins. Once I finally got to Platinum, I never had to wait. Not sure if that was a benefit of the status or just pure luck.

Cheers.

Chipmunk1973

Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:14 am

Apologies in advance if this may have been already discussed but I haven't been online much in the last month.

I was thinking about QF's narrow body fleet renewal and I think their choice of the A220/A32Xneo appears a sound decision. What puzzles me a little is the choice of the A321XLR.

In comments from Alan Joyce that I've seen from several websites, he has indicated the "flexibility" of the plane as it can serve the BNE-MEL-SYD Golden Triangle as well as thin routes to some overseas destination.

In terms of a medium-long and thin route, I see it as an almost perfect choice. But is it the most suitable plane for domestic ops? Yes it has the capacity, but isn't the XLR "heavy" compared to a standard A321neo? If I am correct, and please say if otherwise, that airport charges are based on weight, wouldn't the "standard" A321 be a more cost effective option?

Or is it that minimal that having a fleet of one type is almost as efficient?

Thanks in advance & Cheers.

SCFlyer

Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:31 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
In terms of a medium-long and thin route, I see it as an almost perfect choice. But is it the most suitable plane for domestic ops? Yes it has the capacity, but isn't the XLR "heavy" compared to a standard A321neo? If I am correct, and please say if otherwise, that airport charges are based on weight, wouldn't the "standard" A321 be a more cost effective option?

Or is it that minimal that having a fleet of one type is almost as efficient?

Could it also mean that QF are planning to use the XLRs on domestic rotations between international runs, or basically shuffling XLRs between hubs.
If that's the case that could also make sense, e.g doing a few SYD-ADL trips before being scheduled onto ADL-SIN & v.v

EK413

Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:44 pm

qf2220 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

I did after re-reading it, so its a timing issue between us both!

All good :)

& here’s the bird in question..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbJfXuiLcEg ... =copy_link

aerohottie

Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:05 pm

Anyone read the story in The Australian recently about Bains future plans for Virgin Australia?

I dont have a subscription, so couldn't read it, but suspect it was more info about an IPO?

SCFlyer

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:43 pm

aerohottie wrote:
Anyone read the story in The Australian recently about Bains future plans for Virgin Australia?

I dont have a subscription, so couldn't read it, but suspect it was more info about an IPO?

IIRC it was reported in the News Corp media that Bain is considering partially selling down their stake via IPO whilst maintaining majority control of VA.

Tdan

Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:16 pm

DFW-MEL on QF just announced through DFW’s twitter, starting in December. Awesome news!

CraigAnderson

Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:38 pm

Woah, did not expect this one: Qantas will begin non-stop flights between Melbourne and Dallas/Fort Worth in December

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... -worth-dfw

leftcoast8

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:10 am

smi0006 wrote:
a sidenote - I heard PIA put out a tender for ground handling agents in SYD, sounds like they maybe further along in their planning than expected…. Good luck to them!

Weekly KHI-SYD starts Friday, LHE-SYD starts 22nd April, 77L operating both flights: https://historyofpia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30716

I've heard nothing but awful things about PIA's longhaul product, especially out of YYZ here in Canada where they had quite a bit of service before COVID hit. Which makes me wonder if these are repatriation services or taking advantage of vaccinated travel lanes.

Nonetheless, these will be the first direct flights between Pakistan and Australia, two cricketing giants and longtime Kangaroo Route/Double Sunrise stops, in 50 years, ever since the Bangladeshi War of Independence. Hopefully the Taliban in neighbouring Afghanistan doesn't destabilize Pakistan to the point that international carriers pull out of the country again, like between 2008-2014.

EK413

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:26 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Woah, did not expect this one: Qantas will begin non-stop flights between Melbourne and Dallas/Fort Worth in December

Great news for Melbournians indeed. This is a clear sign QF A380 won’t be returning to the DFW route.

CraigAnderson

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:38 am

EK413 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Great news for Melbournians indeed. This is a clear sign QF A380 won’t be returning to the DFW route.

I also reckon it means we won't see the QF 789 returning to LAX-JFK either. DFW to JFK will become the preferred leg for many, especially if you're keen to avoid the migraine headache that is LAX.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:46 am

EK413 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Gotta say I thought they would need the A35K here. What is the frequency initially?

As for the A380, where else other than SYD/MEL-LAX and SYD-SIN-LHR which needs 7 frames for each to be daily, where else will the A380s go? They tried to get them into HND pre covid and couldn’t now with more HND slots not sure the A380 makes sense there anyway? MEL-SIN was operated so possible, only needs 1 frame, SFO I would imagine MEL/BNE-SFO will return so no need for an A380 ex SYD, JNB? PER-JNB has been mentioned again recently so unlikely an A380 would be needed ex SYD. I would still say SYD-DFW on the A380 is a chance myself.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:48 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
EK413 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I also reckon it means we won't see the QF 789 returning to LAX-JFK either. DFW to JFK will become the preferred leg for many, especially if you're keen to avoid the migraine headache that is LAX.

QF carry freight and also connect ex BNE, either they won’t return to JFK at all until PS, I would be surprised if they didn’t myself but not sure they would do it from anywhere other than LAX.

melpax

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:15 am

Also heard on the radio this morning that QF will increase MEL-LAX frequency from 4x weekly to 8x weekly

aerokiwi

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:19 am

Gosh the 787s are really getting busy. With just 14 in the fleet does this raise the prospect of an order soon?

On the QF fleet, I was thinking about the new Western Sydney Airport and Qantas's plans there. I'm fairly certain they've said they will operate mainline services from there albeit on trunk routes only, so is it possible we could see some of the 737s transferred there as the 321s start deliveries to upgauge SYD in capacity? So SYD will gradually become a 321 base and Western Sydney a 737 base. Some of the Boeings are reasonable young and could operate into the 2030s. Just a thought.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:28 am

melpax wrote:
Also heard on the radio this morning that QF will increase MEL-LAX frequency from 4x weekly to 8x weekly

I have noticed 8 weekly loaded on MEL-LAX, not sure when that starts though? MEL-DFW is 4 weekly to start, I think it reasonable that MEL-LAX is 10 weekly over NW therefore using 2 789s.

789 routes
MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-LAX/DFW daily 4 aircraft
MEL-LAX daily 2
SYD-SFO daily 2
SYD-YVR 3 weekly 1
SYD-SCL daily 1.5
SYD-JNB daily 1.5
SYD-DFW daily 2

That would use 14 from December.

SCFlyer

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:38 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
EK413 wrote:

QF carry freight and also connect ex BNE, either they won’t return to JFK at all until PS, I would be surprised if they didn’t myself but not sure they would do it from anywhere other than LAX.

Not sure if this is the case (or true for that matter) I did read somewhere else across the aviation social media groups that QF has a waiver on their JFK slot until October (similar to VA's HND waiver until October this year).

If that's the case, either QF doesn't return to JFK until October, or they'll let the slot lapse (and thus relinquished).

CraigAnderson

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:42 am

Another MEL announcement, A380s back onto MEL-LAX from December!

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... os-angeles

kriskim

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:43 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
melpax wrote:

I have noticed 8 weekly loaded on MEL-LAX, not sure when that starts though? MEL-DFW is 4 weekly to start, I think it reasonable that MEL-LAX is 10 weekly over NW therefore using 2 789s.

789 routes
MEL-LAX daily 2
SYD-SFO daily 2
SYD-YVR 3 weekly 1
SYD-SCL daily 1.5
SYD-JNB daily 1.5
SYD-DFW daily 2

Looking into 2023,

- MEL-LAX daily will probably revert to an A380 by then, freeing up 2 to use for BNE/MEL-SFO if those 2 are to return.
- SYD-PER-FCO will also depend on this upcoming season being successful, so might also eat up a frame mid next year.

If we get a little creative, maybe JQ can transfer 4 788 over to QF and they can be based in BNE to operate Nth America. Unless the A330’s work, then QF will just continue flying A330’s from BNE to Nth America.

tayser

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:44 am

MEL-LAX now 8x weekly too.

Vic Gov media release: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/new-us-r ... s-victoria

"Flights to Dallas Fort Worth will start in December, with four services a week on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. This is the first time a flight has connected the U.S. state of Texas with Victoria.

In a further boost, starting today, Qantas will increase its flagship Los Angeles to Melbourne service from four to eight flights per week."

melpax

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:47 am

I'm sure that if QF were able to run A380's on MEL/SYD-HND, then they would, even if it was a mixture of A330's/380's. There would be the demand to fill them once Japan opens back up. Remember that QF used to run 74's on some of the Tokyo routes pre-COVID.

With Western Sydney, the initial QF routes will most likely be Golden Triangle routes, there will be business demand from the start given the proximity to Parramatta & elsewhere in the Western Sydney area. JQ might end up moving a bunch of ops there as well.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:57 am

SCFlyer wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Not sure if this is the case (or true for that matter) I did read somewhere else across the aviation social media groups that QF has a waiver on their JFK slot until October (similar to VA's HND waiver until October this year).

If that's the case, either QF doesn't return to JFK until October, or they'll let the slot lapse (and thus relinquished).

JFK isn’t slot controlled, the airport maybe full or close to it but QF could find a ‘slot’. Completely different to HND where slots are issued by country and then have to be broken down by airline as well.

I’m no expert though so don’t know all the ins and outs so to speak.

smi0006

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:08 am

ClassicLover wrote:
What's going on with Qantas to Norfolk Island?

All the aviation articles I can see say they're contracted through to 30 June 2022 for the services. However, all the flights beyond that date are on sale. Air New Zealand don't seem to appear to be taking over, as there is no availability on their website at all.

Presumably Qantas is going to continue on longer. Does anyone know anything about it?

Depends when the contract is back up for tender. I’d say if QF looses the tender future bookings would move back to NZ, that’s what happened when NZ couldn’t fly any more due to border restrictions.

I’ve seen a QF 717 parked at SYD international, is this what they use to NLK?

smi0006

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:14 am

tayser wrote:

"Flights to Dallas Fort Worth will start in December, with four services a week on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. This is the first time a flight has connected the U.S. state of Texas with Victoria.

In a further boost, starting today, Qantas will increase its flagship Los Angeles to Melbourne service from four to eight flights per week."

Have QF announced if they will relaunch MEL-SFO?

Surely we must be getting closer to a 789 top up? I wonder if a 350k would be too big for some of these thinner routes.

Be amazing to see UA respond with IAH-MEL.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:16 am

kriskim wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
melpax wrote:

789 routes
MEL-LAX daily 2
SYD-SFO daily 2
SYD-YVR 3 weekly 1
SYD-SCL daily 1.5
SYD-JNB daily 1.5
SYD-DFW daily 2

Looking into 2023,

- MEL-LAX daily will probably revert to an A380 by then, freeing up 2 to use for BNE/MEL-SFO if those 2 are to return.
- SYD-PER-FCO will also depend on this upcoming season being successful, so might also eat up a frame mid next year.

If we get a little creative, maybe JQ can transfer 4 788 over to QF and they can be based in BNE to operate Nth America. Unless the A330’s work, then QF will just continue flying A330’s from BNE to Nth America.

Yes MEL-LAX will go A380 again freeing up 2 789s. Looks like likely 3 weekly by the end of this year will go A380, I think 6 are back by the end of this year.

FCO is winter seasonal so they can probably free up a frame somewhere for that.

JQ 788s are an interesting one aye, it seems unlikely JQ need that many of them and they wouldn’t be worth much to sell, who would buy them? So transferring to QF seems the most likely, given they have more range than the A332, using them BNE-LAX/SFO makes sense to me.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:18 am

melpax wrote:
I'm sure that if QF were able to run A380's on MEL/SYD-HND, then they would, even if it was a mixture of A330's/380's. There would be the demand to fill them once Japan opens back up. Remember that QF used to run 74's on some of the Tokyo routes pre-COVID.

With Western Sydney, the initial QF routes will most likely be Golden Triangle routes, there will be business demand from the start given the proximity to Parramatta & elsewhere in the Western Sydney area. JQ might end up moving a bunch of ops there as well.

SYD-HND was a 744 for most of the time it ran from 2015, I think a brief period of A330 ops?

kriskim

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:21 am

[twoid][/twoid]
ZK-NBT wrote:
kriskim wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

789 routes
MEL-LAX daily 2
SYD-SFO daily 2
SYD-YVR 3 weekly 1
SYD-SCL daily 1.5
SYD-JNB daily 1.5
SYD-DFW daily 2

Looking into 2023,

Yes MEL-LAX will go A380 again freeing up 2 789s. Looks like likely 3 weekly by the end of this year will go A380, I think 6 are back by the end of this year.

FCO is winter seasonal so they can probably free up a frame somewhere for that.

JQ 788s are an interesting one aye, it seems unlikely JQ need that many of them and they wouldn’t be worth much to sell, who would buy them? So transferring to QF seems the most likely, given they have more range than the A332, using them BNE-LAX/SFO makes sense to me.

I was thinking that the JQ 788 can also be redeployed to India too, open up MEL-BOM while they are at it.

SCFlyer

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:33 am

smi0006 wrote:
tayser wrote:

Have QF announced if they will relaunch MEL-SFO?

Surely we must be getting closer to a 789 top up? I wonder if a 350k would be too big for some of these thinner routes.

Be amazing to see UA respond with IAH-MEL.

I think UA will want to see how IAH-SYD will go first with the VA codeshare partnership before considering IAH-MEL, IMO.
IAH-SYD was the least performing of the 5 routes pre-COVID (and pre VA). There's no guarantee that the VA partnership will suddenly make IAH-SYD a star performer either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos