Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZK-NBT

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2022

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:39 am

smi0006 wrote:
tayser wrote:
MEL-LAX now 8x weekly too.

Vic Gov media release: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/new-us-r ... s-victoria

"Flights to Dallas Fort Worth will start in December, with four services a week on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. This is the first time a flight has connected the U.S. state of Texas with Victoria.

In a further boost, starting today, Qantas will increase its flagship Los Angeles to Melbourne service from four to eight flights per week."

Have QF announced if they will relaunch MEL-SFO?

Surely we must be getting closer to a 789 top up? I wonder if a 350k would be too big for some of these thinner routes.

Be amazing to see UA respond with IAH-MEL.

Pretty sure QF intend to restart MEL-SFO, they did announce BNE but have pushed it back and added additional BNE-LAX at SFO expense. I would see MEL-SFO again at some stage.

Who knows you would think they will order more 789s, the A35K will be atleast late 2024 I think with the possibility to start in early 2025 on PS routes.

IAH-MEL, hmm it does depend imo on how IAH-SYD does here, I know some aren’t in favour but how about beating QF to BNE-SFO this time around?

SCFlyer

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:47 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

Pretty sure QF intend to restart MEL-SFO, they did announce BNE but have pushed it back and added additional BNE-LAX at SFO expense. I would see MEL-SFO again at some stage.

Who knows you would think they will order more 789s, the A35K will be atleast late 2024 I think with the possibility to start in early 2025 on PS routes.

IAH-MEL, hmm it does depend imo on how IAH-SYD does here, I know some aren’t in favour but how about beating QF to BNE-SFO this time around?

Co-incidentally, News Corp paywall article talks about Tourism Queensland (Queensland Government) and BAC approaching other airlines about more services to the USA.

Air Canada to YVR being the only confirmed lock at this tage, and Qantas resuming to SFO being mooted.

Only a brief mention of VA/UA with only preliminary discussions about the 'potential' to start BNE-SFO, which likely probably would mean they are still yet (if at all) to negotiate with Tourism Queensland and the Queensland Government.

Headline is "More Qld international flights to US on the radar"
Last edited by SCFlyer on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

IndianicWorld

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:47 am

kriskim wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
ZK-NBT wrote:
kriskim wrote:

Looking into 2023,

- MEL-LAX daily will probably revert to an A380 by then, freeing up 2 to use for BNE/MEL-SFO if those 2 are to return.
- SYD-PER-FCO will also depend on this upcoming season being successful, so might also eat up a frame mid next year.

If we get a little creative, maybe JQ can transfer 4 788 over to QF and they can be based in BNE to operate Nth America. Unless the A330’s work, then QF will just continue flying A330’s from BNE to Nth America.

Yes MEL-LAX will go A380 again freeing up 2 789s. Looks like likely 3 weekly by the end of this year will go A380, I think 6 are back by the end of this year.

FCO is winter seasonal so they can probably free up a frame somewhere for that.

JQ 788s are an interesting one aye, it seems unlikely JQ need that many of them and they wouldn’t be worth much to sell, who would buy them? So transferring to QF seems the most likely, given they have more range than the A332, using them BNE-LAX/SFO makes sense to me.

I was thinking that the JQ 788 can also be redeployed to India too, open up MEL-BOM while they are at it.

I am surprised that JQ hasn’t been utilised to fly to India. A Mumbai or Bangaluru route could well be a something that could well work.

LTEN11

Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:23 am

smi0006 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
What's going on with Qantas to Norfolk Island?

All the aviation articles I can see say they're contracted through to 30 June 2022 for the services. However, all the flights beyond that date are on sale. Air New Zealand don't seem to appear to be taking over, as there is no availability on their website at all.

Presumably Qantas is going to continue on longer. Does anyone know anything about it?

Depends when the contract is back up for tender. I’d say if QF looses the tender future bookings would move back to NZ, that’s what happened when NZ couldn’t fly any more due to border restrictions.

I’ve seen a QF 717 parked at SYD international, is this what they use to NLK?

QF use the 737 to NLK. Personally I've never seen a 717 at the international in SYD, not sure why one would be there.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:10 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
kriskim wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

I have noticed 8 weekly loaded on MEL-LAX, not sure when that starts though? MEL-DFW is 4 weekly to start, I think it reasonable that MEL-LAX is 10 weekly over NW therefore using 2 789s.

789 routes
MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-LAX/DFW daily 4 aircraft
MEL-LAX daily 2
SYD-SFO daily 2
SYD-YVR 3 weekly 1
SYD-SCL daily 1.5
SYD-JNB daily 1.5
SYD-DFW daily 2

That would use 14 from December.

Looking into 2023,

- MEL-LAX daily will probably revert to an A380 by then, freeing up 2 to use for BNE/MEL-SFO if those 2 are to return.
- SYD-PER-FCO will also depend on this upcoming season being successful, so might also eat up a frame mid next year.

If we get a little creative, maybe JQ can transfer 4 788 over to QF and they can be based in BNE to operate Nth America. Unless the A330’s work, then QF will just continue flying A330’s from BNE to Nth America.

Yes MEL-LAX will go A380 again freeing up 2 789s. Looks like likely 3 weekly by the end of this year will go A380, I think 6 are back by the end of this year.

JQ 788s are an interesting one aye, it seems unlikely JQ need that many of them and they wouldn’t be worth much to sell, who would buy them? So transferring to QF seems the most likely, given they have more range than the A332, using them BNE-LAX/SFO makes sense to me.

Its unclear how many days A388 will operate MEL-LAX as that has not been confirmed yet, it wont be daily and looking at the MEL-DFW schedule I would probably say it will be 4 weekly to start with.

The new DFW service does not fit in with a MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-US service. The schedule is apparently as follows

QF21 MEL1400-1245 DFW
QF22 DFW 1910-545+2 MEL

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/150 ... tkNc_61zCg

This suggests to me that some of the QF93/94 will see A380, 4 weekly I think to allow for MEL-DFW to take place. Operating it on a later service through the PER-LHR aircraft would cut out all the connection opportunities DFW offers which defeats the purpose of operating it.

Also this allows MEL-SFO to return through its normal pre COVID late evening departure ex MEL

Regarding the A380's even with 6 in the fleet by the end of this year SYD-SIN-LHR will take 2.5 frames and SYD-LAX takes 2 so that also states the case that MEL will see the A388 about a frequency of 4 weekly

sand26391

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:02 pm

I heard some rumors that Qantas will also soon announce (by the end of this month or so..) MEL-BLR. Probably a rumour only... but just wanted to put it up here.

ClassicLover

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:31 pm

sand26391 wrote:
I heard some rumors that Qantas will also soon announce (by the end of this month or so..) MEL-BLR. Probably a rumour only... but just wanted to put it up here.

Oh? And where did you hear these rumours?

sand26391

Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:16 pm

From a couple of (South Asian) staff who work in the airline. There's some noise made, but not sure if i would believe it, just yet.

NZ801

Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Air Asia back on DPS - PER from mid May.

https://thewest.com.au/news/travel/pert ... -c-6219388

Chipmunk1973

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:32 am

aerokiwi wrote:
Gosh the 787s are really getting busy. With just 14 in the fleet does this raise the prospect of an order soon?

On the QF fleet, I was thinking about the new Western Sydney Airport and Qantas's plans there. I'm fairly certain they've said they will operate mainline services from there albeit on trunk routes only, so is it possible we could see some of the 737s transferred there as the 321s start deliveries to upgauge SYD in capacity? So SYD will gradually become a 321 base and Western Sydney a 737 base. Some of the Boeings are reasonable young and could operate into the 2030s. Just a thought.

Even if QF ordered more 787s, I'm not sure how soon they'd get them with the kerfuffle surrounding current deliveries.

Also, if fuel prices remain high, I wouldn't expect QF to be holding onto the 737s. I see the A220-300 doing a lot of routes to and from SWZ.

Cheers.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:59 am

Virgin 738 VH-VUW currently positioning MLE-PER after maintenance at AUH, flight is about 8hrs

smi0006

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:11 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
Gosh the 787s are really getting busy. With just 14 in the fleet does this raise the prospect of an order soon?

On the QF fleet, I was thinking about the new Western Sydney Airport and Qantas's plans there. I'm fairly certain they've said they will operate mainline services from there albeit on trunk routes only, so is it possible we could see some of the 737s transferred there as the 321s start deliveries to upgauge SYD in capacity? So SYD will gradually become a 321 base and Western Sydney a 737 base. Some of the Boeings are reasonable young and could operate into the 2030s. Just a thought.

Even if QF ordered more 787s, I'm not sure how soon they'd get them with the kerfuffle surrounding current deliveries.

Also, if fuel prices remain high, I wouldn't expect QF to be holding onto the 737s. I see the A220-300 doing a lot of routes to and from SWZ.

Cheers.

Be interesting see how cargo plays out to and if SWZ becomes a cargo hub with flow on impact to below wing cargo space.

321XLR would make sense for some incremental SIN, NAN flying, and maybe A220 for AKL also? Maybe JQ to DPS, BKK?

zkncj

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:22 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

Cheers.

If QF needed additional wide body capacity in the short-term there is now plenty of A330s on the second hand lease market, looking for homes. While say QF waits for additional 789s etc to be delivered, there are plenty of used 777s out there too but probably unlikely as it would require them to add a additional type.

The bigger issue, will be staff and replacing all the staff there do not want to return.

EK413

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 am

The resumption of BA UK-OZ services well on its way due in Tuesday morning.

Flight BA15 from London to Singapore
https://fr24.com/BAW15/2b4abeec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZK-NBT

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:04 am

zkncj wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

Cheers.

If QF needed additional wide body capacity in the short-term there is now plenty of A330s on the second hand lease market, looking for homes. While say QF waits for additional 789s etc to be delivered, there are plenty of used 777s out there too but probably unlikely as it would require them to add a additional type.

The bigger issue, will be staff and replacing all the staff there do not want to return.

The problem is widebodies with trans pacific range at least, hence A332s on BNE-LAX which is the shortest mainland US run. 2 A332s are going for freighter conversion in 2023 so I don’t think they want more of those. Not sure I can see them adding any second hand wide bodies even at current prices given other than A330s they have A380s which they certainly don’t want anymore, and 789s which will be snapped up by others and I am not sure QF again would go second hand there anyway? As for another type like the 777 very unlikely new or used.

anstar

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:31 am

IndianicWorld wrote:

I was thinking that the JQ 788 can also be redeployed to India too, open up MEL-BOM while they are at it.

I am surprised that JQ hasn’t been utilised to fly to India. A Mumbai or Bangaluru route could well be a something that could well work.[/quote]

I think the Indian market is better served by JQ but I don't think they would be able to operate them without proper crew rest for the pilots as the duty would be pushing their hours?

tullamarine

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:00 am

fI QF needed additional wide body capacity in the short-term there is now plenty of A330s on the second hand lease market, looking for homes. While say QF waits for additional 789s etc to be delivered, there are plenty of used 777s out there too but probably unlikely as it would require them to add a additional type.

There is zero chance of a 777 ever in QF colors; a white-tail 789 even RR engined would make more sense but probably also just as unlikely.

QF are, like many other airlines, waiting for clarity on the delivery of 789s which are consistently being pushed back due to the FAA/Boeing stand-off. QF does have the option of reactivating its remaining A380s earlier than planned were demand to return quicker than currently forecast. For example, an A380 could return to the daily MEL-SIN-MEL rotation freeing up an A332 which could then be directed onto a new Indian route or a new PER-JNB service. QF may also choose to maintain more trans-continental services on 737s rather than returning to A330s. They have no competitive pressure to do otherwise particularly if the A330s can be better used elsewhere.

ZK-NBT

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:44 am

qf789 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
kriskim wrote:

Looking into 2023,

Its unclear how many days A388 will operate MEL-LAX as that has not been confirmed yet, it wont be daily and looking at the MEL-DFW schedule I would probably say it will be 4 weekly to start with.

The new DFW service does not fit in with a MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-US service. The schedule is apparently as follows

QF21 MEL1400-1245 DFW
QF22 DFW 1910-545+2 MEL

This suggests to me that some of the QF93/94 will see A380, 4 weekly I think to allow for MEL-DFW to take place. Operating it on a later service through the PER-LHR aircraft would cut out all the connection opportunities DFW offers which defeats the purpose of operating it.

Also this allows MEL-SFO to return through its normal pre COVID late evening departure ex MEL

Regarding the A380's even with 6 in the fleet by the end of this year SYD-SIN-LHR will take 2.5 frames and SYD-LAX takes 2 so that also states the case that MEL will see the A388 about a frequency of 4 weekly

Interesting times, QF could actually run MEL-LAX daily with 6 aircraft temporarily I’d they ran it as SYD-LAX-MEL-LAX-SYD with LAX-MEL as a daylight run then an evening departure ex MEL. It seems unlikely. My take would be 3 weekly with the 6th aircraft, but with some creative scheduling you could run a 4th weekly, if 1 flight was a daylight LAX-MEL.

eta unknown

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:03 am

The premium yields aren't there for daylight southbound flights plus you have all the weather related missed inbound connections in winter. Even if there's a fleet shortage I doubt QF would do it again. NZ also stopped the daylight flights before QF.

melpax

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:22 am

sand26391 wrote:

There would be a fair amount of corporate demand, some of the banks have IT hubs set up in BLR, among others.

johnnyRotten

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:49 am

qf789 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
kriskim wrote:

Looking into 2023,

QF21 MEL1400-1245 DFW
QF22 DFW 1910-545+2 MEL

so when read about MEL/DFW & more MEL/LAX flights, thought I'd have a look at fares. $3480 to fly week before Xmas to LAX & back after NY ? WTF ?

LoganTheBogan

Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:10 am

Q-Link re-launched WGA-MEL flights today with the Q300. Fantastic loads and enthusiastic crew!

As for the all-new WGA-BNE Q400 flights, they kicked off today with the local media at the airport capturing its arrival. Fantastic moment for Wagga Wagga Airport which is now seeing all RPT bays in use and plenty of action during the day now that QF and ZL have increased their schedules.

19 flights total across the two airlines today with even more expected to flow in. Glad to be busy again :)

Chipmunk1973

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:02 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
The problem is widebodies with trans pacific range at least, hence A332s on BNE-LAX which is the shortest mainland US run. 2 A332s are going for freighter conversion in 2023 so I don’t think they want more of those. Not sure I can see them adding any second hand wide bodies even at current prices given other than A330s they have A380s which they certainly don’t want anymore, and 789s which will be snapped up by others and I am not sure QF again would go second hand there anyway? As for another type like the 777 very unlikely new or used.

I think a B777 appearing at QF is as likely as a snowball in hell.

Personally I foresee the majority of existing A332 trans-con' work being replaced by the A321neo/XLR. AJ has already stated that there would be a cabin refresh when the new jets enter service. I wouldn't be surprised to see 16J seats in the A321.

When 2022 rolled around and people were offering predictions, I rated a variety of things as Highly Probable, Possible and Remote, or approximately that. In the last category I put in QF purchasing the A359. As a betting man, I'd be inclined to shift that to "Possible" out of "Remote".

Cheers.

SCFlyer

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:14 pm

There's a better chance of at least 4 of JQ's 788 being transferred to QF and the CapEx spent to reconfigure the 788s for BNE-USA services as opposed to QF introducing the 777.

melpax

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:47 pm

The chances of seeing a 777 in QF livery are almost zero. As above, the most likely option is for some of the JQ 788 fleet to come across to Mainline. If they were able to get some 789's or A359's on the cheap, they may bite, but again as above, you wouldn't bet on it. At least any potential used A359's would have some commonality with the proposed Sunrise fleet, and would be useful for routes such as HND where the A380's can't be used, and the capacity would be useful.

Actually wouldn't be suprised if Airbus is shopping A359 whitetails/production slots that were meant for SU, etc to QF. As I said in the Ukraine CivAv thread, similar circumstances to how QF got their initial batch of 738's when AA cancelled some orders after 9/11.

a320fan

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:37 pm

johnnyRotten wrote:
qf789 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

QF21 MEL1400-1245 DFW
QF22 DFW 1910-545+2 MEL

so when read about MEL/DFW & more MEL/LAX flights, thought I'd have a look at fares. $3480 to fly week before Xmas to LAX & back after NY ? WTF ?

Part of your issue is the Christmas/NY period. One of the peak travel periods as people are off work and jet around the world to see family and friends over the holidays. It’s always going to be a more expensive time to travel. QF showing $1500 return in early November which is not too different to pre covid fares.

sand26391

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:42 pm

melpax wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

There would be a fair amount of corporate demand, some of the banks have IT hubs set up in BLR, among others.

Just heard this from some of my South Asian colleagues in the airline. So just wanted to share it here, even though I would take it in, with a pinch of salt ofcourse. Probably 2x or 3x weekly.

ZK-NBT

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:58 pm

eta unknown wrote:
The premium yields aren't there for daylight southbound flights plus you have all the weather related missed inbound connections in winter. Even if there's a fleet shortage I doubt QF would do it again. NZ also stopped the daylight flights before QF.

For sure, they could do it, 1 of the 2 LAX-BNE services is doing this whenever it starts, granted BNE isn’t MEL or SYD.

NZ had a daylight flight briefly in around 1999/01 or so. QF had 1 for a number of years LAX-SYD.

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:47 pm

A report from Bloomberg on US airlines hiring Aussie pilots

Breeze Airways, the upstart carrier founded by aviation entrepreneur David Neeleman, hired eight pilots after having received 275 applications from Australia since January, and the first should be flying by mid-June. SkyWest Inc.’s airline unit has restarted a recruiting effort in the country that was closed during the pandemic.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -australia

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:05 pm

Just in, SQ Boeing 737 MAX coming to Cairns as of April 11

https://www.executivetraveller.com/sing ... -to-cairns

RyanairGuru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:51 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:

Breeze Airways, the upstart carrier founded by aviation entrepreneur David Neeleman, hired eight pilots after having received 275 applications from Australia since January, and the first should be flying by mid-June. SkyWest Inc.’s airline unit has restarted a recruiting effort in the country that was closed during the pandemic.

I’m not sure how or why, but Australian pilots receive favourable visa treatment in the US not available to pilots from other countries (including Canada). Given that pilot pay in US is very generous by global standards, even at LCCs, I can understand why pilots are attracted to work there.

smi0006

Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:35 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Nice! Wonder if they would ever look to OOL for a premium offering to compliment Scoot.

tullamarine

Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:44 am

smi0006 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Nice! Wonder if they would ever look to OOL for a premium offering to compliment Scoot.

Given OOL is only an hour's drive from the already well served BNE, I doubt it would be a high priority.

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:27 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Given OOL is only an hour's drive from the already well served BNE, I doubt it would be a high priority.

In addition to that, BNE is back to 3x daily with SQ (2x regional 359 and 1x long haul 359). Who knows if the 4th daily (pre-COVID) gets brought back though, and I can't see the 4th BNE frequency going to OOL either, chances of that would be close to zero.

qf2220

Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:35 am

SCFlyer wrote:
3x daily with SQ (2x regional 359 and 1x long haul 359). .

Is this a fleet availability decision or does the long haul configured plane cater for a different market out of BNE vs the regional config?

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:44 am

qf2220 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Is this a fleet availability decision or does the long haul configured plane cater for a different market out of BNE vs the regional config?

If I recall correctly, multiple factors play into it. Although from what I read, and don't take my word for it, supposedly (also anecdotal) most of the long haul customers catch the redeye for the onward morning departures to Europe, thus the long-haul config 359 is used for the 2350 redeye ex-BNE.

tullamarine

Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:04 am

qf2220 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Not sure why some are long-haul whilst others are the regional fleet. The biggest issue currently with the mixed fleet is that Premium Economy is not available on the regional fleet. The same issue occurs in MEL which is currently split half regional A350s and half long-haul 77Ws. The regional fleet has a different J class but it is still quite good unlike when the A330s were regional, they had a noticeably inferior J product.

I assume as demand comes back, some of the regional services will be replaced by the long-haul fleet including A380s.

kriskim

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:25 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Not sure why some are long-haul whilst others are the regional fleet. The biggest issue currently with the mixed fleet is that Premium Economy is not available on the regional fleet. The same issue occurs in MEL which is currently split half regional A350s and half long-haul 77Ws. The regional fleet has a different J class but it is still quite good unlike when the A330s were regional, they had a noticeably inferior J product.

I assume as demand comes back, some of the regional services will be replaced by the long-haul fleet including A380s.

Hopefully it changes soon, MEL and SYD both use to have only long haul planes flying in, with the exception of the flights that continued onto WLG and CBR(?)

mrkerr7474

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:29 am

kriskim wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Hopefully it changes soon, MEL and SYD both use to have only long haul planes flying in, with the exception of the flights that continued onto WLG and CBR(?)

The flight that continued onto WLG was changed to a long haul configured A359 in Nov 2019 and of course only lasting a few months before covid hit. Prior to that it was the 772 which of course had a very interior product to it as it was the old regional config

ZK-NBT

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:40 am

kriskim wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

CBR was a regional 772 when it was combined with WLG then a 77W when via SYD. SYD and MEL were all long haul product right before covid.

Singapore 777

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:59 am

kriskim wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

I suspect it probably has something to do with a lack of long-haul birds at the moment. The long-haul A350 fleet is clearly stretched, and although they do have some 77Ws parked, I don't know how many of them can be activated at short notice as three of them are parked for long-term storage at ASP.

ZK-NBT

Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:19 am

Singapore 777 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

I suspect it probably has something to do with a lack of long-haul birds at the moment. The long-haul A350 fleet is clearly stretched, and although they do have some 77Ws parked, I don't know how many of them can be activated at short notice as three of them are parked for long-term storage at ASP.

BNE had 1 long haul and 3 regional A359s a day pre covid. With several 77Ws still parked they don’t have enough long haul 359s, not that it makes a difference to BNE but I would think SYD/MEL/AKL will all go 77W or A380 as they return and Loads increase freeing up long haul A359s for other routes.

tullamarine

Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:12 pm

. Although from what I read, and don't take my word for it, supposedly (also anecdotal) most of the long haul customers catch the redeye for the onward morning departures to Europe, thus the long-haul config 359 is used for the 2350 redeye ex-BNE.

Except the 2335 MEL-SIN departure is currently a regional A350 so maybe there is no pattern. Prior to COVID, the flight was an A380 so hopefully it goes back to one as demand comes back.

Obzerva

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:30 am

Speaking of SQ, there’s currently an A350 SQ244 flying SIN-WTB before continuing on to CNS, would this be freight or a charter?

LTEN11

Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:36 am

Obzerva wrote:
Speaking of SQ, there’s currently an A350 SQ244 flying SIN-WTB before continuing on to CNS, would this be freight or a charter?

Freight, it's been operating at least weekly for a while now.

evanb

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:33 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I’m not sure how or why, but Australian pilots receive favourable visa treatment in the US not available to pilots from other countries (including Canada). Given that pilot pay in US is very generous by global standards, even at LCCs, I can understand why pilots are attracted to work there.

Yes, it's the E-3 visa that is an offshoot from the Australia–United States Free Trade Agreement.

beachroad

Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:53 pm

SCFlyer wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

If I recall correctly, multiple factors play into it. Although from what I read, and don't take my word for it, supposedly (also anecdotal) most of the long haul customers catch the redeye for the onward morning departures to Europe, thus the long-haul config 359 is used for the 2350 redeye ex-BNE.

When I lived in Singapore I'd take that flight back after visiting friends and fam. It was a weird flight that used to arrive into Terminal 2 at SIN, and only a dozen or so people would be at the belt collecting baggage. I guess by process of elimination everybody else transferred. but I've no idea where to.

qf2048

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:49 pm

Link Airways have announced on their Facebook page they are going to start flying TMW-SYD from 27th June with 28 return services per week. Nice little surprise!

aschachter

Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:57 am

Bonza Airlines are recruiting 200 staff

https://australianaviation.com.au/2022/ ... y0K2rcLSHI

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:14 pm

Please continue discussion in Australian Aviation Thread - April 2022

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1471639

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos