Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JohanTally

Re: China Eastern 737-800 crashes in Guangxi, southern China

Sun May 08, 2022 2:20 pm

Weirdly ABC News is pretending this is a new story about the crash but the data is a month old. The silence is deafening among the media.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... s-84532141

WNbob

Mon May 09, 2022 5:30 am

Well they promised 30 days, and FAA is not saying anything either.

JohanTally

Mon May 09, 2022 11:41 am

WNbob wrote:

My understanding is whether the FAA has likely theories or even hard evidence it's not their place to announce it to the world. The oddest part is no real announcements regarding the black boxes reconstruction or whether they were unable to capture usable data. One would think by now it is abundantly clear what picture the black box data paints or doesn't paint if unrecoverable.

bnatraveler

Mon May 09, 2022 1:15 pm

JohanTally wrote:
WNbob wrote:

My understanding is whether the FAA has likely theories or even hard evidence it's not their place to announce it to the world. The oddest part is no real announcements regarding the black boxes reconstruction or whether they were unable to capture usable data. One would think by now it is abundantly clear what picture the black box data paints or doesn't paint if unrecoverable.

Minor, but important, correction: NTSB not FAA.

JohanTally

Mon May 09, 2022 2:48 pm

bnatraveler wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
WNbob wrote:

Minor, but important, correction: NTSB not FAA.

My mistake I meant NTSB and with reports of the black boxes being severely damaged Honeywell may have been first to read the data if it was recoverable but with NTSB officials looking over their shoulder.

ltbewr

Mon May 09, 2022 5:52 pm

There may not be an obvious issue with this crash that early investigations show or need immediate attention for. It may take much more analysis of recovered parts, deep analysis of he data and voice recorders. One has to also consider the Covid-19 lockdowns in cities and regions of China is significantly slowing down their investigation. Patience please. It is better it be done right, not too quickly with mistakes made, fail to find the real causes and cause political upset, put blame in the wrong place and fail to find a flaw that needs correction.

majano

Tue May 17, 2022 4:41 pm

Wall Street Journal reporting that US sources state that someone in the cockpit intentionally crashed the plane. WSJ is unfortunately for subscribers only.

ikolkyo

Tue May 17, 2022 4:42 pm

This does not surprise me, it's something I've always suspected.

32andBelow

Tue May 17, 2022 4:47 pm

So everyone speculating the first week was right. I’m always amazed at how accurate of an assessment some of the members of this site can make with limited data

Western727

Tue May 17, 2022 4:58 pm

32andBelow wrote:
So everyone speculating the first week was right. I’m always amazed at how accurate of an assessment some of the members of this site can make with limited data

Indeed. It's sad that we seem to have another Germanwings on our hands, though...

obenyehuda

China Eastern Crash: black box points to intentional nosedive

Tue May 17, 2022 5:40 pm

Just published by Wall Street Journal
https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-east ... _lead_pos2

BEG2IAH

Tue May 17, 2022 5:44 pm

This is a little bit I could read from it... Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/new ... ampaign=yh

According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, flight data from the downed airliner indicates that someone in the cockpit manipulated the controls to push the plane into its deadly nosedive.

The report cites unnamed sources said to be familiar with U.S. officials’ preliminary investigation into the crash that includes data from one of the black boxes recovered from the crash.

AvgWhiteGuy

Tue May 17, 2022 5:46 pm

Very sad. And also sad that certain members of our forum will be disappointed that it wasn't Boeing's fault.
I hope all the families are supporting each other and finding their way through the immeasureable grief.

maddogjt8d

Re: China Eastern Crash: black box points to intentional nosedive

Tue May 17, 2022 5:46 pm

How terribly sad if true, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of all affected.

But it just makes me angry at how preventable an accident like this could be. How many of these types of incidents do we need to see before mental health is taken seriously? This started more than 20 years ago with EgyptAir 990 (a very high profile crash when I was growing up), and now between Germanwings and this disaster, how have we not developed solutions to mitigate this yet? Just terrible.

4engines4short

Tue May 17, 2022 5:52 pm

maddogjt8d wrote:
How terribly sad if true, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of all affected.

But it just makes me angry at how preventable an accident like this could be. How many of these types of incidents do we need to see before mental health is taken seriously? This started more than 20 years ago with EgyptAir 990 (a very high profile crash when I was growing up), and now between Germanwings and this disaster, how have we not developed solutions to mitigate this yet? Just terrible.

Unfortunately the FAA is probably only going to make it more draconian. There needs to be a way for pilots to get help without gronding them permanently.

JohanTally

Tue May 17, 2022 6:06 pm

4engines4short wrote:
maddogjt8d wrote:

Unfortunately the FAA is probably only going to make it more draconian. There needs to be a way for pilots to get help without gronding them permanently.

This crash happened in the CCP and most of these more recent horrific events involving intentionally crashing the aircraft are with foreign airlines and typically in other countries. MS990 did occur off the East coast but was a foreign crew and airline. All regulators could probably do a better job but the FAA seems to doing more than others regarding mental well-being of flight crews.

Murdoughnut

Tue May 17, 2022 6:29 pm

JohanTally wrote:
4engines4short wrote:
maddogjt8d wrote:

This crash happened in the CCP and most of these more recent horrific events involving intentionally crashing the aircraft are with foreign airlines and typically in other countries. MS990 did occur off the East coast but was a foreign crew and airline. All regulators could probably do a better job but the FAA seems to doing more than others regarding mental well-being of flight crews.

No, they're not.

The FAA threw a bone to pilots by allowing three antidepressants a few years back, but the stipulations tied to that are still very restrictive. I highly doubt many FAA licensed commercial pilots who felt that they would benefit from an antidepressant would risk going through the process as it is. I say that as a commercially licensed pilot who takes one of these drugs (I do not fly for a commercial operator or for hire).

And your generalization here suffers from a "small n" problem - that is, there aren't enough cases of pilot suicide to even make statistical inference from. If you move beyond Part 121 to general aviation flying, you'll find U.S. cases as well. Not to mention historical cases or attempts (i.e. Auburn Calloway), or pilots who commit suicide at home or in places other than in the air. Still, it's too rare an event to claim that the U.S. has a better record.

Chemist

Tue May 17, 2022 6:42 pm

Also summaried here, not behind a paywall: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 6.html?amp

Tue May 17, 2022 6:56 pm

Putting aside the actual root cause, someone from the NTSB leaked this? This coming just weeks after the Supreme Court leak... :o

4engines4short

Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 pm

Murdoughnut wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
4engines4short wrote:

No, they're not.

The FAA threw a bone to pilots by allowing three antidepressants a few years back, but the stipulations tied to that are still very restrictive. I highly doubt many FAA licensed commercial pilots who felt that they would benefit from an antidepressant would risk going through the process as it is. I say that as a commercially licensed pilot who takes one of these drugs (I do not fly for a commercial operator or for hire).

And your generalization here suffers from a "small n" problem - that is, there aren't enough cases of pilot suicide to even make statistical inference from. If you move beyond Part 121 to general aviation flying, you'll find U.S. cases as well. Not to mention historical cases or attempts (i.e. Auburn Calloway), or pilots who commit suicide at home or in places other than in the air. Still, it's too rare an event to claim that the U.S. has a better record.

Case in point was the UND student suicide a few moths ago. That poor kid knew he had ishues and wanted help but he knew he wold neverfly again and coud not live with that. https://abc7chicago.com/university-of-north-dakota-und-plane-crash-suicide/11514599/

tkyang99

Tue May 17, 2022 7:25 pm

889091 wrote:
Putting aside the actual root cause, someone from the NTSB leaked this? This coming just weeks after the Supreme Court leak... :o

Yeah a lot of us here already expected this, but the fact that it leaked at all is still a shock. Theres obviously going to be huge political consequences. Looks like this is going to be Egyptair 990 all over again.

Brianpr3

Tue May 17, 2022 7:49 pm

tkyang99 wrote:
889091 wrote:

Yeah a lot of us here already expected this, but the fact that it leaked at all is still a shock. Theres obviously going to be huge political consequences. Looks like this is going to be Egyptair 990 all over again.

on Egypt 990 why is it that their investigators say it was a mechanical failure while us investigators say it was intentionally crashed into the ocean

giosue61

Tue May 17, 2022 8:26 pm

Brianpr3 wrote:
tkyang99 wrote:
889091 wrote:

on Egypt 990 why is it that their investigators say it was a mechanical failure while us investigators say it was intentionally crashed into the ocean

Because Egypt is Egypt.

flybucky

Tue May 17, 2022 8:30 pm

Another article referencing the WSJ article:

Data recovered from the black box suggests that someone in the cockpit input controls that sent the plane into its deadly descent, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with US officials’ preliminary assessment of the incident. US officials involved in the investigation have focused on the actions of a pilot, though it is possible someone else on the plane could have broken into the cockpit and caused the crash, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. The officials believe their conclusion is backed up by the fact that Chinese investigators have so far not indicated any problems with the aircraft or flight controls that could have caused the crash and would need to be addressed in future flights, the newspaper said.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... -us-report

Duality

Tue May 17, 2022 8:33 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Yes...and a broken clock is spot on twice a day.

Nomadd

Tue May 17, 2022 8:48 pm

There's a difference between a depressed person who ends his life and a mass murderer.

GSPSPOT

Tue May 17, 2022 9:53 pm

Definitely, Nomadd.

Tue May 17, 2022 10:16 pm

If the US leaked this ahead of the Chinese determination, CAAC will not be very happy with the NTSB. It is rather shocking, and may have implications for the future.

Stitch

Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 pm

On the one hand, if this was a pilot-induced CFIT, I am comforted that the 737NG does not have an unidentified issue that could cause a catastrophic loss of control like what happened with UA 525 and US 427 and the rudder hard-overs. On the other hand, I am not comforted that yet another person decided to take a group of innocents with them (SilkAir Flight 185 coming to mind most-strongly).

Strato2

Tue May 17, 2022 10:22 pm

Was this like the Germanwings flight in so that the other pilot left the cockpit and the other was then able to do his murderous deeds?

32andBelow

Tue May 17, 2022 10:22 pm

If the US leaked this ahead of the Chinese determination, CAAC will not be very happy with the NTSB. It is rather shocking, and may have implications for the future.

What are they going to say? They probably would have never released if

par13del

Tue May 17, 2022 10:37 pm

Do we need to make a distinction of whether this leak was done by the FAA or the NTSB?

Metchalus

Tue May 17, 2022 10:44 pm

Whilst MH370 is a massive question mark.

This makes 3 such incidents in 10 years, 4 if you count MH370.
By commercial aviation standards this frequency is alarming high.

More passengers have been killed by pilots crashing their own planes than by terrorists.

Add to this the US Bangla case which wasn't suicide but the PIC had a complete mental breakdown.

Tue May 17, 2022 10:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:

The only justifiable reason I could think of is if CAAC had decided not to release the information at all. But I think it may be too soon to have made that determination.

Don't know whether this was FAA or NTSB, but NTSB was entrusted with the recorders, so it would ultimately come back to them.

tkyang99

Tue May 17, 2022 10:55 pm

Yeah so much on the line right now for China and US relations...covid, Ukraine, etc...they will not be happy at all this leaked. But what can China do at this point? They havent released any info themselves so just continuing to deny and cover up at this point wont help much.

ElroyJetson

Tue May 17, 2022 10:58 pm

ABC News is also reporting it appears to be a pilot suicide.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/chinese-plane ... 55700.html

32andBelow

Tue May 17, 2022 11:05 pm

32andBelow wrote:

The only justifiable reason I could think of is if CAAC had decided not to release the information at all. But I think it may be too soon to have made that determination.

Don't know whether this was FAA or NTSB, but NTSB was entrusted with the recorders, so it would ultimately come back to them.

How long did they need. It was probably obvious within 1 minute if listening to the tapes or looking at the control inputs

ltbewr

Tue May 17, 2022 11:52 pm

We have seen in the USA several GA pilots do suicide flights of small airplanes into buildings. We have seen to our view, investigations or not enough data to explain several commercial airline crashes so suicide become a plausible explanation. Calling a plane crash was or most likely caused by a deliberate act of suicide of a pilot has a very serious moral, cultural, economic and political implications. A leak of an internal USA government agency of consideration of suicide will likely lead to China and other countries not to trust US government in participation in future aircraft crash investigations, possible loss of business as here for Boeing and not able to get an unbiased and accurate explanation also makes it more difficult to find ways to prevent future crashes by any cause.

ABpositive

Wed May 18, 2022 12:01 am

I'm not a pilot, so only speculating here - is it possible to override with an autopilot some of the maneuvers which are deemed suicidal? I'm aware it's not fool-proof, but at least preventing an outright dive might buy additional time for those on-board to act.

Cubsrule

Wed May 18, 2022 12:04 am

A U.S. person =\= “the U.S.” Is there any evidence of a government leak?

CMA727

Wed May 18, 2022 12:13 am

Let me share with you the following articles (sorry in spanish) on the issue of pilot suicide:
http://t21.com.mx/opinion/vuelo/2014/01 ... ida-piloto
http://34.207.76.28/opinion/vuelo/2015/ ... ermanwings

Etheereal

Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 am

Brianpr3 wrote:
tkyang99 wrote:
889091 wrote:

For the same reason AF was blaming the pitot tubes instead of their improper training on AF447.

tkyang99

Wed May 18, 2022 12:27 am

ltbewr wrote:
We have seen in the USA several GA pilots do suicide flights of small airplanes into buildings. We have seen to our view, investigations or not enough data to explain several commercial airline crashes so suicide become a plausible explanation. Calling a plane crash was or most likely caused by a deliberate act of suicide of a pilot has a very serious moral, cultural, economic and political implications. A leak of an internal USA government agency of consideration of suicide will likely lead to China and other countries not to trust US government in participation in future aircraft crash investigations, possible loss of business as here for Boeing and not able to get an unbiased and accurate explanation also makes it more difficult to find ways to prevent future crashes by any cause.

But isn't it the obligation of a moral government to let the public know the truth as early as possible on what caused a tragedy such as this?
China claims that they care about "human rights" and the mental welfare of their people, why not let the families of the victims know as soon as possible the truth.

JohanTally

Wed May 18, 2022 12:28 am

Etheereal wrote:
Brianpr3 wrote:
tkyang99 wrote:

For the same reason AF was blaming the pitot tubes instead of their improper training on AF447.

AF447 was primarily poor airmanship but there was a massive effort to replace the pitot tubes on A330 and A340s immediately after the crash two years before having the black boxes.

http://www.airsafenews.com/2009/09/faa- ... s.html?m=1

lightsaber

Wed May 18, 2022 12:31 am

ElroyJetson wrote:
ABC News is also reporting it appears to be a pilot suicide.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/chinese-plane ... 55700.html

That was a hard link to read (I muted the video by choice). I'm sad to hear this. RIP to the passengers. That is not an easy conclusion to come to.

Lightsaber

AngMoh

Wed May 18, 2022 12:54 am

Metchalus wrote:
Whilst MH370 is a massive question mark.

This makes 3 such incidents in 10 years, 4 if you count MH370.
By commercial aviation standards this frequency is alarming high.

More passengers have been killed by pilots crashing their own planes than by terrorists.

Add to this the US Bangla case which wasn't suicide but the PIC had a complete mental breakdown.

There was also TM470 in 2013.

zeke

Wed May 18, 2022 1:14 am

lightsaber wrote:
That was a hard link to read (I muted the video by choice). I'm sad to hear this. RIP to the passengers. That is not an easy conclusion to come to.

Lightsaber

The video I get when I open that link is very old, they are talking about just discovering one of the black boxes and citing “intelligence sources” that it was intentional because of the high rate of descent, not the actual data retrieved.

ABC contacted the NTSB, the NTSB did not confirm any of the details, the only officials that would have access to the FDR/CVR are with the NTSB.

In reply 1076 above the SCMP is quoted

“ Data recovered from the black box suggests that someone in the cockpit input controls that sent the plane into its deadly descent, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with US officials’ preliminary assessment of the incident. ”

I would suggest the exact same words could be used to describe Atlas Air Flight 3591, it was the pilot control inputs that resulted in the near vertical descent.

Wed May 18, 2022 1:55 am

Cubsrule wrote:

All the articles are quoting anonymous "US officials". So who else would it be if not the government?

slvrblt

Wed May 18, 2022 1:58 am

Yeah..........if they leaked it without the Chinese knowing But the facts in one's face pretty much already spelled it out even from China......Chinese 737's grounded, then they weren't......reports of steps being taken about well being of Chinese crews and personal or family issues; 2+2 always equals 4.

It's not a China thing; it's a human thing. People have issues - sometimes people need help with them.

Cubsrule

Wed May 18, 2022 2:29 am

Cubsrule wrote:

All the articles are quoting anonymous "US officials". So who else would it be if not the government?

A government official without authorization doesn’t speak for the government. It’s no different from the fact that (for instance) a UA employee criticizing AA on a.net doesn’t mean that UA as a company is critical of AA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos