Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YEGFlyer

Re: Canada Jetlines News and Discussion Thread 2022

Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:28 am

I actually think it would be kind of cool to have 5-6 major airlines in Canada. It would certainly change the landscape, might result in some new hubs in unexpected places, a lot of creativity perhaps in flight offerings. I actually hope all of the new entrants survive. Best of luck.

Acey

Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:37 am

Sure it'd be kind of cool, but you're asking for the same number of major airlines as a country to the south with 10x the population. It's just not viable.

YEGFlyer

Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:44 am

Well, we wouldn't be able to support 200-300 frame fleets at all of those carriers, but maybe 40-80 frame fleets is doable if Canada's population keeps growing quickly and low fares continue to crate significant market stimulation...

casperCA

Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:38 am

YEGFlyer wrote:
I actually think it would be kind of cool to have 5-6 major airlines in Canada. It would certainly change the landscape, might result in some new hubs in unexpected places, a lot of creativity perhaps in flight offerings. I actually hope all of the new entrants survive. Best of luck.

I think hub is the wrong the term. These ultra low cost airlines are not operating connecting hubs. Nearly everything is point to point flying.

So for example on Swoop, from Victoria the only places I can fly to is Edmonton or Toronto. But only at most once per day. From Victoria I can fly from Victoria to only Edmonton, Kelowna or Ottawa but only on certain days.

The ultra low cost model is broken when it comes to meeting the needs of business travelers in the smaller cities in Canada.

IndianicWorld

Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:59 am

To me looking from afar, the Canadian market will struggle to sustain this level of airline service.

There are only limit opportunities available before the airlines start flying the same routes. This is not Europe or the US with many cities and alternative airports to tap into, but becomes more about competing for the same slice of the cake .

It’s great to see more competition and different airline liveries to spot but ultimately there becomes a point that there really is only limited scope to grow.

Acey

Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:23 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
There are only limit opportunities available before the airlines start flying the same routes.

The slice of cake shrinks even smaller with the near universal commitment to the 7M8 which really hampers the ability to serve smaller markets. Flair just tried YEG-YQQ on 7M8 and failed miserably.

IceCream

Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:16 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
To me looking from afar, the Canadian market will struggle to sustain this level of airline service.

There are only limit opportunities available before the airlines start flying the same routes. This is not Europe or the US with many cities and alternative airports to tap into, but becomes more about competing for the same slice of the cake .

It’s great to see more competition and different airline liveries to spot but ultimately there becomes a point that there really is only limited scope to grow.

At the end of the day I can only see one or maybe two new entrants surviving. WS/AC have the network, frequencies and codeshares to survive and keep their market share.

Dominion301

Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Acey wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
There are only limit opportunities available before the airlines start flying the same routes.

The slice of cake shrinks even smaller with the near universal commitment to the 7M8 which really hampers the ability to serve smaller markets. Flair just tried YEG-YQQ on 7M8 and failed miserably.

Good example of how PD is well-positioned to be “EastJet” for lack of a better term with far fewer seats to fill per flight. Plus a +15 year reputation behind them.

Flair need more YKF-type markets to exploit. There are a few such as YXU, YQG and even YQB that has yet to land an ULCC. YHM also has plenty of room to grow. I wonder if anyone will ever try and push to develop St. Catharine’s small airport into an ULCC gateway to Niagara? Would need a 500 m runway extension to handle 7M8s though. It could handle A220s already though.

9252fly

Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:35 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Acey wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

Good example of how PD is well-positioned to be “EastJet” for lack of a better term with far fewer seats to fill per flight. Plus a +15 year reputation behind them.

Yup, WS will have created a vacuum and an opening for PD. Who knows, maybe WS and PD will codeshare with each other in future, each agreeing to having their own backyard. TS already codeshares with both, so good for them too. I often watch the ongoing subtle changes in Canadian aviation, everything from regional flying to domestic, transborder and international, always intrigued and fascinated by the evolution.

Dominion301

Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:10 pm

9252fly wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Acey wrote:

Yup, WS will have created a vacuum and an opening for PD. Who knows, maybe WS and PD will codeshare with each other in future, each agreeing to having their own backyard. TS already codeshares with both, so good for them too. I often watch the ongoing subtle changes in Canadian aviation, everything from regional flying to domestic, transborder and international, always intrigued and fascinated by the evolution.

It’s no coincidence that PD announced the exercising of 20 options just days after WS eastern pullback.

rj777

Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:38 am

any pics of the outside of the planes?

casperCA

Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:27 am

rj777 wrote:
any pics of the outside of the planes?

Some clips in this video.... (Includes the actual version as well as the various previous mockups)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtrTdBZXtfI

skymiler

Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:41 pm

I grew up 12 km from YHM and I used to fly in and out on Nordair to YUL and PIT. I am in Hamilton every few weeks and have watched the Golden Horseshoe expand dramatically. I use either YYZ or BUF and each has its drawbacks not only for me but many others. For YYZ there is the choking traffic on the QEW and 403. I use the GO bus but even it can be delayed. YYZ Terminal 3 for the US destinations is 3rd world at best. For BUF a rental car is needed.
If you draw line west from Burlington ONT all the way to London and follow the South shore of the lake there is a large catchment area that I suspect would love solid service at YHM
YHM is a great freight airport but really lacks in passenger service. WestJet was great -- until they bailed out for YYZ
Is this a case of "build it and they will come"?

Skywatcher

Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:12 am

skymiler wrote:
I grew up 12 km from YHM and I used to fly in and out on Nordair to YUL and PIT. I am in Hamilton every few weeks and have watched the Golden Horseshoe expand dramatically. I use either YYZ or BUF and each has its drawbacks not only for me but many others. For YYZ there is the choking traffic on the QEW and 403. I use the GO bus but even it can be delayed. YYZ Terminal 3 for the US destinations is 3rd world at best. For BUF a rental car is needed.
If you draw line west from Burlington ONT all the way to London and follow the South shore of the lake there is a large catchment area that I suspect would love solid service at YHM
YHM is a great freight airport but really lacks in passenger service. WestJet was great -- until they bailed out for YYZ

It's one of the great mysteries of Canadian air transport why YHM just can't thrive.I feel that Lethbridge AB, Sherbrooke QC, Brandon MB, Niagra Falls ON and 3 Rivers QC are other examples of under served markets.

YEGFlyer

Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:09 am

Flair states that they prefer to partner with airports and are looking for deals that reward volume (source: https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... phen-jones), Could it be that those airports just don't want to enter into airline partnerships?

Hockeyfan125

Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:51 am

Skywatcher wrote:
skymiler wrote:

It's one of the great mysteries of Canadian air transport why YHM just can't thrive.I feel that Lethbridge AB, Sherbrooke QC, Brandon MB, Niagra Falls ON and 3 Rivers QC are other examples of under served markets.

Because Hamilton YHM is located close to Toronto YYZ & Montreal YUL, Eastern Canada’s Busiest Airports is huge reason. Plus with Airlines consolidating through their hubs mostly & YYZ/YUL in the East benefits from it.

Basically YHM is in same situation as Ottawa YOW, & other smaller / less busier airports having a tough time attracting routes with exceptions mostly on Swoop, Flair or Lynx last several years as good examples making them happy!

Dominion301

Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:55 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
skymiler wrote:

The two Quebec airports and Niagara need real terminals before service can be contemplated…at least beyond FlyGTA’s YTZ shuttle in the case of the latter. I remember YSC had J31 service on weekdays to YYZ for a number of years. Did Quebecair ever serve Trois-Rivières?

I am puzzled as to why WS has never offered a summer seasonal YBR-YYZ to serve all eastern points. Didn’t PW have a daily YYZ-YBR-YYC back in the day?

CrewBunk

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:19 am

Dominion301 wrote:
I am puzzled as to why WS has never offered a summer seasonal YBR-YYZ to serve all eastern points. Didn’t PW have a daily YYZ-YBR-YYC back in the day?

WS did fly YYZ-YBR, it ended a couple years before Covid.

PW flew a daily 737 YYC-YBR-YYZ-YBR-YYC, but those were the days before deregulation. As they were not allowed YYZ-YYC/YEG with their new 767s, they were given the route through YBR. It was never intended to carry local YBR passengers, as the vast majority were flying YYZ-YYC. The route was then routed through YQT, (YYC-YBR-YQT-YYZ) then cancelled.

IceCream

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:33 am

CrewBunk wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

WS did fly YYZ-YBR, it ended a couple years before Covid.

PW flew a daily 737 YYC-YBR-YYZ-YBR-YYC, but those were the days before deregulation. As they were not allowed YYZ-YYC/YEG with their new 767s, they were given the route through YBR. It was never intended to carry local YBR passengers, as the vast majority were flying YYZ-YYC. The route was then routed through YQT, (YYC-YBR-YQT-YYZ) then cancelled.

After the YYC-YBR success I thought YYZ-YBR was going to do well, but the 737 turned out to be too much.

9252fly

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:35 am

Dominion301 wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
skymiler wrote:

WS did indeed operate seasonal summer service between YBR - YYZ, it was 2016 two, or three times a week. Yes, PW did operate YVR - YLW - YYC -YBR - YQT - YYZ 6 times a week in the mid 1980s.

Dominion301

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:33 am

9252fly wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

WS did indeed operate seasonal summer service between YBR - YYZ, it was 2016 two, or three times a week. Yes, PW did operate YVR - YLW - YYC -YBR - YQT - YYZ 6 times a week in the mid 1980s.

Oh right. Lasted just the one summer I believe and it wasn’t a thru from YYC as AC & WS have abandoned those. Probably would have benefited from some YYC-YYZ thru pax with a corresponding decline in DH4 YYC departures.

Acey

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:02 pm

The YYC-YBR flights are still going strong on the Q4 and haven't really waivered in terms of loads; don't know if that bodes well for any additional service but they appear to be happy with the route as it currently stands.

Juju2004

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:47 pm

Looks like they cancelled YQM and YWG plans to go forward with an inaugural flight to YYC sept 22nd. Their only destination now appears to be YYC?

jimbo737

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:27 pm

JetLines massive uphill battle to last beyond Cdn Thanksgiving is evidenced by its public announcement of their having closed a 2 year c$1m / us$772,000 loan at 7% that included a seat on their board and 50,000 In dilutive founders stock.

C$1m is a rounding error in the airline business.

Having to give up shares and a board seat for that sort of tiny loan does not bode well.

Pre launch, WS’s original investors who put up $7.5m of paid-in equity had one seat on the WS BoD.

OTP, who put in $10m equity got one seat on the BoD

A BoD seat for a 7% $1m loan that barely covers 2 months leasing cost of an A320 and the associated maintenance reserve payments per block hour that frame should be flying per month is as clear a piece of evidence there is as to the woes facing this 10 year old startup who have yet to generate an asm.

Note dateline of story below……

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... del-142422

Will they break Roots Air’s 32 day record Of futility as the fastest Cdn new entrant to Implode after launch?

I’d take the under, but if I win, do I get a Jetlines BoD seat too?
Last edited by jimbo737 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YEGFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:27 pm

Maybe they want to be in a market they know Swoop won't touch.

Skywatcher

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:53 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
JetLines massive uphill battle to last beyond Cdn Thanksgiving is evidenced by its public announcement of their having closed a 2 year c$1m / us$772,000 loan at 7% that included a seat on their board and 50,000 In dilutive founders stock.

Having to give up shares and a board seat for that sort of tiny loan does not bode well.

Pre launch, WS’s original investors who put up $7.5m of paid-in equity had one seat on the WS BoD.

A BoD seat for a 7% $1m loan that barely covers 2 months leasing cost of an A320 and the associated maintenance reserve payments per block hour that frame should be flying per month is as clear a piece of evidence there is as to the woes facing this 10 year old startup who have yet to generate an asm.

Will they break Roots Air’s 32 day record Of futility as the fastest Cdn new entrant to Implode after launch?

I suspect the loan is unsecured. With inflation at 8% I would never make such a risky unsecured loan at 7% interest.
The upcoming recession will knock these guys out.

YEGFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:28 pm

jimbo737 wrote:

I am afraid your track record on predicting airline failure isn't so great at the present moment.

That being said I agree that this will be a hard slog for Canada Jetlines.

I wonder if, despite the new entrants in the market, there is undercapacity on trunk routes driven by AC/WS duopoly (witness recent retrenchment by WS). We'll see how they do on YYC. Would like to see them start YEG too, I am sure it isn't far behind.

Acey

Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:30 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:
I wonder if, despite the new entrants in the market, there is undercapacity on trunk routes driven by AC/WS duopoly

Not on Tuesdays and Saturdays there isn't. :lol:

We'll see how she goes.

YEGFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:05 pm

I did some dummy bookings, seat maps are currently 100% open on this route. Not a single seat has been selected yet that I could see.

Dominion301

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:29 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
I did some dummy bookings, seat maps are currently 100% open on this route. Not a single seat has been selected yet that I could see.

Is it any surprise? Cancelling your originally announced cities and going somewhere completely unrelated.

Man this outfit is a still a joke. @Jimbo, I think I'm finally on board with your jetballs references. I actually thought for a minute they knew what they were doing this time (i.e., I thought they wanted to copy Sunwing with weekly sun packages).

Hockeyfan125

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:41 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:

I am afraid your track record on predicting airline failure isn't so great at the present moment.

I wonder if, despite the new entrants in the market, there is undercapacity on trunk routes driven by AC/WS duopoly (witness recent retrenchment by WS). We'll see how they do on YYC. Would like to see them start YEG too, I am sure it isn't far behind.

Canada Jetlines should do okay in on Calgary YYC- Toronto YYZ route as 2-3x weekly on Airbus A320. As YYC has 1 of the larger Domestic passenger demand year round in Canada.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/c ... 92.article

Canada Jetlines next destination in Western Canada after YYC is likely Vancouver YVR, before Edmonton YEG.

Juju2004

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:56 pm

2x weekly with 1 plane.. lets hope it's a pay by the hour lease for now

YEGFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:05 pm

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
YEGFlyer wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:

Canada Jetlines should do okay in on Calgary YYC- Toronto YYZ route as 2-3x weekly on Airbus A320. As YYC has 1 of the larger Domestic passenger demand year round in Canada.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/c ... 92.article

Canada Jetlines next destination in Western Canada after YYC is likely Vancouver YVR, before Edmonton YEG.

I knew this was coming.

Thanks for the great analysis of how wonderful YYC is once again!

TexasAirCorp

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:13 pm

Was their website built for their original 2013 launch? It's absolutely dreadful, doesn't give the impression that these guys are serious contenders in the industry. Looks like a dodgy package holiday company from 2008.

AWNP

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:20 pm

So Air Canada, WestJet, Transat, Lynx, Flair, Jetlines and likely Porter on this route. Seems sustainable.

rampbro

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:22 pm

jimbo737 wrote:

Push!

Acey

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Hockeyfan125 wrote:

This, like all of your assessments of route launches, is the equivalent of saying:

If I open a restaurant in Calgary it will do well. I know this because people in Calgary eat food.

God forbid you consider fares, amenities, route timings, the economic disadvantage of their frame vs the competition, brand recognition, lack of connections, and the multitude of other factors besides "large domestic passenger demand year round".

Dominion301

Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Jetlines are making it up on the fly. Originally Monday-to-Friday to YWG and YQM out of YYZ, then a reduction and sporadic schedule to both places and now twice weekly to YYC. They'll be lucky to make it to Christmas with so little revenue coming in. Even a "power-by-the-hour" contract on their 320 will leave them losing buckets of cash...unless the C-suite is run by volunteers. :P

9252fly

Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:51 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Jetlines are making it up on the fly. Originally Monday-to-Friday to YWG and YQM out of YYZ, then a reduction and sporadic schedule to both places and now twice weekly to YYC. They'll be lucky to make it to Christmas with so little revenue coming in. Even a "power-by-the-hour" contract on their 320 will leave them losing buckets of cash...unless the C-suite is run by volunteers. :P

They now have their AOC, they'll burn as little capital as possible to maintain the certificate, which is Canada Jetlines most valuable asset. The question everyone should be asking is, what's the plot? I think they have a plan, it's just not apparent yet.

Hockeyfan125

Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:06 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Yes & actually Calgary YYC - Toronto YYZ route on Canada Jetlines is up to 4x weekly from October 13. But it 2x weekly to start off in September 2022.

Dominion301

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:59 pm

9252fly wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

They now have their AOC, they'll burn as little capital as possible to maintain the certificate, which is Canada Jetlines most valuable asset. The question everyone should be asking is, what's the plot? I think they have a plan, it's just not apparent yet.

If announcing and dropping 2/3 of your destinations before a single revenue flight to throw off the competition is a strategy then they must have a genius running the show. I’ll be astounded if these guys make it last more than a year.

jimbo737

Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:12 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:

Assessing the economic viability of airlines is easy.

What’s difficult is predicting the appetite of others to continue to fund losing causes.

wjv04

Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:11 am

CrewBunk wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

6500 foot runway attached to a population (at the time) of less then 40,000. Doesn't really tick the boxes for a profitable operation, not with a jet.

alo2yyz

Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:01 am

wjv04 wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

6500 foot runway attached to a population (at the time) of less then 40,000. Doesn't really tick the boxes for a profitable operation, not with a jet.

It's also not --that-- far (in Prairie ideas of distance) from YWG. It's barely 2.5 hours. Go west to the SK border and you're again about 2.5 hours from YQR. You'd have to get to a place like Dauphin or Melita before the drive to either Regina or Winnipeg becomes a burden - and it's not like those are, ah, chock full of potential passengers.

TexasAirCorp

Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:47 am

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Yes & actually Calgary YYC - Toronto YYZ route on Canada Jetlines is up to 4x weekly from October 13. But it 2x weekly to start off in September 2022.

Ooooo that's quite something. I'm sure AC/WJ, even Flair and Lynx will be terrified.

They could save a lot of time by calling in the bankruptcy attorney now.

IceCream

Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:59 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

I wonder if their first flight even launches.

YEGFlyer

Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:05 pm

Boy what a happy bunch we have here.

I still would like to see them succeed, we need diversity in the industry for many reasons. Who knows, they could grow up to do something great. I daresay that "Canada Jetlines" is a better sounding name for an airline than many of the other recent launches.

IceCream

Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:17 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
Boy what a happy bunch we have here.

I still would like to see them succeed, we need diversity in the industry for many reasons. Who knows, they could grow up to do something great. I daresay that "Canada Jetlines" is a better sounding name for an airline than many of the other recent launches.

The name is a lot better than some of the new entrants. But who are we kidding this airline has been in the works since 2013. It's pretty much been ten years and they're still so unorganized.

Acey

Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:22 pm

I quite like the Lynx Air name, and they could have at least leaned a bit into the nature aspect of branding like Frontier... but instead they're just called Lynx and pretend the cat they named it after doesn't actually exist.

YEGFlyer

Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:14 pm

Lynx doesn't appeal to me personally. I think they were going with the idea of "linking" together cities. If that's the case why spell it like the animal. As you say there's no reference to the animal in the branding.

Flair Airlines also doesn't really roll off the tongue. I think the company started as F.L. Air. I don't know what the F and L stand for.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos