Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

melpax

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2022

Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:30 pm

LoganTheBogan wrote:
ZL6674 and ZL6681 was also delayed by multiple hours due to aircraft issues today too.

GFF also faced a 4.5 hour delay a couple of days ago because of Saab issues. They're piling up very quickly.

Not to mention the Rex bus shortage at SYD that has been causing strife with flights.

Sounds like a replacement for the Saab fleet can't come soon enough. Although the issue from previous discussions is what will they replace them with? Almost anything the next size up will mean full airport pax screening, which will be an issue for a lot of the smaller airports they service.

RyanairGuru

Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:56 pm

ben175 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
ben175 wrote:

Incredible to see this route get off the ground after 4? failed startup attempts due to border closures.

I truly believe the Southwest of WA around BQB is one of the most spectacular places on Earth. Will be a fantastic tourism boost to this area.

It is a beautiful place but I do have to question how many people will actually fly 3500kms from MEL to SW WA and not visit Perth 2.5 hours away. I guess you could arrive into one place and depart from the other but then you risk the perils of one-way car rental fees etc.

Flying into PER and out of BQB is something I will seriously consider as I have a family beach house in Dunsborough that I visit 2-3 times a year. Not having to drive back up to Perth to fly home will be a godsend.

Also, I’m sure there will be decent feed from nearby Bunbury, especially to fill an A320 thrice weekly.

I don’t think JQ would have persevered with this route so much had it not had very strong forward bookings. To be honest, this is the kind of route that has Bonza written all over it. Nice to see JQ experimenting with untapped markets. I would love to see them on SYD/MEL-BME next to bring down the astronomical fares on QF.

The problem with Broome is hotel capacity is so limited. There is little or no point adding additional flights as it just means more empty seats on the existing flights, the number of passengers is finite but now spread more thinly.

It will be interesting to see how Busselton works out, I hope it is a success. I’m intrigued that the route has always been planned to be served from only MEL, hopefully SYD is added in due course.

WA has some truly incredible and unique places that could definitely be better marketed on the East Coast, but unfortunately the capacity on the ground is often not there to absorb significant increases in visitor numbers, which feeds into a vicious cycle of prohibitive cost and poor accessibility for basically anyone not driving their own car from Perth.

RyanairGuru

Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:59 pm

eta unknown wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Airline ticketing hasn't moved far at all, even with the length of time that e-tickets have been around, there are still legacy terms/concepts like "plating" that are still used to this day.
When booking fares that involve multiple airlines, depending on the fare construction the agent has to determine which airline the ticket is plated to.
The easiest example of that being if you're booking a LH fare on the outbound flights and maybe LX or OS on the return, the agent determines which one of these airlines the entire ticket is essentially ticketed to.
The first 3 digits of the ticket number is the airlines plate, QF = 081, VA = 795

Most people don’t realise how archaic the process is. If you have an interline carrier (say EK on a QF 081 ticket) then the issuing carrier collects all of the revenue, and then when the passenger travels the operating airline ‘collects’ the ticket coupon and submits it to the issuing airline for reimbursement. The process is somewhat more automated with e-tickets, but the basic process has not changed since the 1950s.

Other anachronisms abound. You can still only have four segments (including surface sectors) on a ticket number, as that was the number of lines on a paper ticket, and a maximum of four ticket numbers issued in conjunction, meaning that you can still only book a maximum of 16 sectors.

You just triggered a memory! Years ago I was the airline representative in a NSW Consumer Claims Tribunal case. The ticket was plated on QF and we were the operating carrier on the 5th & 6th sectors that were never flown. I had to give the magistrate a crash course on how inter-airline payments work. I remember saying to him, "you might not like it, but that's how the system works- we only get paid when that coupon is pulled and later credited by the IATA clearing house, so if you decide to rule against us there is a problem- we can't reimburse the complainant because we were never paid... You need to adjoin QF to the case."

Thanks for the story, I genuinely got a chuckle out of that!

doge3322

Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:24 pm

Will the Jetstar A321LR only be used for International Routes, or will it also be used for domestic routes as well. Which domestic routes originating from Sydney will most likely get the A321LR?

Kent350787

Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 pm

melpax wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:
ZL6674 and ZL6681 was also delayed by multiple hours due to aircraft issues today too.

GFF also faced a 4.5 hour delay a couple of days ago because of Saab issues. They're piling up very quickly.

Not to mention the Rex bus shortage at SYD that has been causing strife with flights.

Sounds like a replacement for the Saab fleet can't come soon enough. Although the issue from previous discussions is what will they replace them with? Almost anything the next size up will mean full airport pax screening, which will be an issue for a lot of the smaller airports they service.

The reality is that the only 36 seat replacement for REX SAAB is another old SAAB. They are going have to bite the bullet on screening. ATR must still be the front runner.

qf2220

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:11 am

tullamarine wrote:
ben175 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
The inaugural JQ MEL-BQB (Busselton) service has started today with the flight landing at BQB about 15 minutes ago

As part of JQ’s 12 hour sale fare prices are in sale for $89 one way

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/travel ... -c-6351414

Incredible to see this route get off the ground after 4? failed startup attempts due to border closures.

I truly believe the Southwest of WA around BQB is one of the most spectacular places on Earth. Will be a fantastic tourism boost to this area.

It is a beautiful place but I do have to question how many people will actually fly 3500kms from MEL to SW WA and not visit Perth 2.5 hours away. I guess you could arrive into one place and depart from the other but then you risk the perils of one-way car rental fees etc.

The distance between Perth and Margaret River has actually been a turnoff for me to make a trip to the wine region. If I am like other travellers, then this flight will make it just that bit easier to get there.

But, I would also think there is a market for the premium QF product to BQB perhaps 2x per week from either SYD or MEL given the impression of Margaret River (that I have at least) is that it is more upmarket than say Hunter Valley.

qf2220

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:14 am

Kent350787 wrote:
melpax wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:

The reality is that the only 36 seat replacement for REX SAAB is another old SAAB. They are going have to bite the bullet on screening. ATR must still be the front runner.

Maintained right, a machine is reliable whatever age it is. Given the margins REX has id not be surprised if maintenance has been stretched. Not to say theyre unsafe, but perhaps for example theyre not holding as many parts to allow for fast repair and the parts have to be positioned in from further afield, impacting flight reliability.

CraigAnderson

Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:37 am

Qantas has been launching quite a few new international routes lately, any bets on what the next ones will be?

smi0006

Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:54 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas has been launching quite a few new international routes lately, any bets on what the next ones will be?

My wish list? the long rumoured PER-JNB, PER-DEL? Otherwise I feel Asia and South America demand is suppressed - although some form of connection could be of value to South America SYD-SCL not sure on yields with current fuel price. They have announced a fair bit of US expansion can’t see too much more being added there - maybe a stretch SYD-SEA, or BNE-ORD return of SFO, LAX-JFK tag on, on a 330 from BNE perhaps?

I would have said PER-CDG, but feel they have missed high seasons for EU summer and may not have the 789 frames.

tullamarine

Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:02 am

smi0006 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

My wish list? the long rumoured PER-JNB, PER-DEL? Otherwise I feel Asia and South America demand is suppressed - although some form of connection could be of value to South America SYD-SCL not sure on yields with current fuel price. They have announced a fair bit of US expansion can’t see too much more being added there - maybe a stretch SYD-SEA, or BNE-ORD return of SFO, LAX-JFK tag on, on a 330 from BNE perhaps?

I would have said PER-CDG, but feel they have missed high seasons for EU summer and may not have the 789 frames.

They are still bringing back some prior routes. In the past week both SYD-MNL and SYD-CGK have returned as well as BNE-SIN and BNE-LAX meaning the A332s are getting busier on international routes. The 789 fleet is pretty stretched and will probably remain that way for most of this year given the there is still no delivery date when the 3 currently parked in the desert can be handed over. The only thing releasing 789s currently is the gradual return of the A380s.

vhebb

Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:05 am

They need more widebody aircraft if they want to launch a heap of new routes.

If I had to pick my guess would be:

PER-JNB
SYD-ICN
???-HND - If they can get the VA slot

All the above can be done with A330s if some can be freed up??

smi0006

Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:14 am

vhebb wrote:

PER-JNB
SYD-ICN

How much work are the 330s doing domestically/Tasman, wonder if the JQ788 could take over domestic/Tasman for QF as the 321s are delivered - without the need for an expensive interior config change in the short term? In turn freeing up QF330s for international until there is time for an interior refurb?

SCFlyer

Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:51 am

vhebb wrote:

PER-JNB
SYD-ICN

QF have split their 2nd HND slot between MEL and BNE, they're assuming that VA's rights on the HND slot will lapse in October.
As it's probably unlikely VA will hand the HND slot back to the IASC earlier than September at the latest.

Assuming VA's rights on the HND slot lapses in October as currently scheduled, this would allow QF to increase MEL and BNE to daily after October

jrfspa320

Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:29 am

SCFlyer wrote:
vhebb wrote:

PER-JNB
SYD-ICN

QF have split their 2nd HND slot between MEL and BNE, they're assuming that VA's rights on the HND slot will lapse in October.
As it's probably unlikely VA will hand the HND slot back to the IASC earlier than September at the latest.

Assuming VA's rights on the HND slot lapses in October as currently scheduled, this would allow QF to increase MEL and BNE to daily after October

Thats assuming there is demand for 3 daily by then anyway. QF might well not want to ramp up capacity so quickly. Japan dont seem in a hurry to open for tourism.

NZ801

Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:07 am

Is it possible that QF could take some A330’s from domestic trans-con and use them elsewhere give they no longer have VA A330’s to compete with?

RyanairGuru

Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:56 am

NZ801 wrote:
Is it possible that QF could take some A330’s from domestic trans-con and use them elsewhere give they no longer have VA A330’s to compete with?

Definitely possible, indeed it’s happening. Majority of SYD-PER and MEL-PER flights are 737s, and the schedule seems to stay that way indefinitely.

tullamarine

Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:11 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

Definitely possible, indeed it’s happening. Majority of SYD-PER and MEL-PER flights are 737s, and the schedule seems to stay that way indefinitely.

As well as there being demand for A330s on the international network, demand for flights to PER is still way below where it was pre-COVID. Most of the domestic network has bounced back but WA is slower probably because it reopened so much later than everywhere else.

The A330s were also previously used for trans-continental freight but the arrival of the dedicated A321 freighters has meant this is not the issue it was. Between the reduced demand and the removal of any competitive pressure, with VA removing its A332s from its fleet, it is unlikely the A330s will fly trans-continentally too much going forward.

melpax

Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:54 am

tullamarine wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

As well as there being demand for A330s on the international network, demand for flights to PER is still way below where it was pre-COVID. Most of the domestic network has bounced back but WA is slower probably because it reopened so much later than everywhere else.

I suspect most of the FIFO workers who previously commuted to WA from the Eastern states became WA residents over the last couple of years to keep their jobs. Virtually impossible to commute interstate when WA was closed off from the rest of the country.

CraigAnderson

Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:55 pm

NZ801 wrote:

Yes, as RyanairGuru noted this is already happening. There's no reason for Qantas to run A330s east-west unless there's high enough demand to fill those larger aircraft, because as you say they no longer have to compete against Virgin's A330s, which is a good example of how competition really does raise the bar.

RyanairGuru

Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:54 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

Yes, as RyanairGuru noted this is already happening. There's no reason for Qantas to run A330s east-west unless there's high enough demand to fill those larger aircraft, because as you say they no longer have to compete against Virgin's A330s, which is a good example of how competition really does raise the bar.

As Tullamarine said, the A321 freighters will likely mean that the level of A330 capacity to Perth never recovers to pre-pandemic levels. With Virgin only operating 737s there’s no competitive need to offer a premium product, and cargo can increasingly be moved by dedicated freighters.

My personal prediction for the Perth market is that going forward there will only be one or two A330s per day to maintain a competitive edge, capacity discipline through the use of 737s will push up average Qantas fares, and then Jetstar increase frequency to 2 or 3 daily to pick up leisure passengers priced out of flying Qantas and to keep Virgin on their toes.

In some ways, I see this approach being replicated across the country. Until the next 3 787s are delivered, capacity growth is coming from adding QQ E90s and returning A380s to service. The E90s backfill for larger 717s, which replace 737s in some markets, freeing up 737s to take over domestic (and Tasman) flying previously operated by A330s, in turn allowing for some incremental international growth. Over all, Qantas reduce domestic capacity, leading to higher fares for people who will pay a premium to fly Qantas. Jetstar can be used to target the lower yield passengers pushed out.

smi0006

Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:03 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

As Tullamarine said, the A321 freighters will likely mean that the level of A330 capacity to Perth never recovers to pre-pandemic levels. With Virgin only operating 737s there’s no competitive need to offer a premium product, and cargo can increasingly be moved by dedicated freighters.

My personal prediction for the Perth market is that going forward there will only be one or two A330s per day to maintain a competitive edge, capacity discipline through the use of 737s will push up average Qantas fares, and then Jetstar increase frequency to 2 or 3 daily to pick up leisure passengers priced out of flying Qantas and to keep Virgin on their toes.

In some ways, I see this approach being replicated across the country. Until the next 3 787s are delivered, capacity growth is coming from adding QQ E90s and returning A380s to service. The E90s backfill for larger 717s, which replace 737s in some markets, freeing up 737s to take over domestic (and Tasman) flying previously operated by A330s, in turn allowing for some incremental international growth. Over all, Qantas reduce domestic capacity, leading to higher fares for people who will pay a premium to fly Qantas. Jetstar can be used to target the lower yield passengers pushed out.

And for those die hard premium J crowd they may try snap the domestic seats on the 789 SYD-PER-FCO and MEL-PER-LHR, wouldn’t surprise me if aBNE-PER-JNB is a 330 also.

CraigAnderson

Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:22 pm

Wow, this was expected - Qantas AND Jetstar will both fly Sydney-Seoul/Incheon, JQ from Nov and QF from Dec.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... outh-korea

bjwonline

Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:28 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Wow, this was expected - Qantas AND Jetstar will both fly Sydney-Seoul/Incheon, JQ from Nov and QF from Dec.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... outh-korea

Plus Bangalore also being added 4x weekly, starting 14th September. Non stop on 330
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-and-jetstar-expand-sydney-gateway-with-new-direct-flights-to-india-and-korea/

CraigAnderson

Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:01 am

Looks like Sydney-Bangalore is replacing Sydney-Delhi, which Qantas had always said would be 'seasonal' while Melbourne-Delhi was permanent.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ia-flights

ben175

Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:53 am

Anyone have the schedules for the new ICN and BLR services?

sand26391

Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:05 am

I had posted the news of BLR SYD a week back.
Glad to hear it's true a much needed connection to BLR & South India which is #5 on SYDs unserved city/route.

With 58 connections by 6E at BLR... It's a large market for connections for Qantas.

smi0006

Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:58 am

sand26391 wrote:
I had posted the news of BLR SYD a week back.
Glad to hear it's true a much needed connection to BLR & South India which is #5 on SYDs unserved city/route.

With 58 connections by 6E at BLR... It's a large market for connections for Qantas.

I confess when you posted I was skeptical - but very surprised, well played! Good source haha!

Interesting comment from AJ around their codeshare with Indigo reshaping the way people travel between India and AU - I think he’s clearly trying to take a swipe at a weakened MH, and TG and to a lesser degree SQ maybe some DXB traffic too and capture some of the market directly. 9W was a good partner but never quiet seemed to be at the right level of connectivity or focus.

ICN is a surprise also, JQ and QF makes sense with OZ soon to disappear leaving KE only.

Hopefully the out of the box international thinking continues! But they need the fleet to fly it all now ;)

smi0006

Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:59 am

Chaos at SYD today with the airport short staffed across all touch points - combination of Covid and the labour market. Only going to get worse over Easter! I don’t think the public appreciates how impossible it is to recruit and retain staff in the current environment, only way will be to pay more…. But that will have to be recovered through tickets and airport charges.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/3a7f9c ... 09d0cb90db

FromCDGtoSYD

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:41 am

ICN surprises me, especially after leaving the market to KE and OZ for so long. I guess the uncertainty behind OZ also contributes a bit, no more codeshare I reckon. Some much needed competition on the route, especially with Jetstar, hopefully will put pricing pressure on KE.

Is OOL-ICN making a comeback?
Last edited by FromCDGtoSYD on Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

atal17

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:43 am

Absolutely fantastic news from Qantas! I’m super punped as an Indian living in Melbourne that I can fly to Bengaluru!

Qantasman66

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:44 am

Does anyone know if Seoul and Bangalore will be all year round?, I’m assuming it would be as the articles didn’t mention seasonal.

Obzerva

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:52 am

I'm wondering if ICN goes well for them whether PUS might be a look in for a JQ A321XLR service in the future, even at a few days a week.

tullamarine

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:56 am

atal17 wrote:
Absolutely fantastic news from Qantas! I’m super punped as an Indian living in Melbourne that I can fly to Bengaluru!

It's great if your are heading to BLR but, as someone who occasionally has to go to BOM for work, I will continue to use SQ and connect in SIN. I actively avoid the chaos of domestic flights in India as much as possible. I used to use the combined QF/9W scissor hub in SIN which has never been successfully replaced.

atal17

Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:08 am

tullamarine wrote:
atal17 wrote:

It's great if your are heading to BLR but, as someone who occasionally has to go to BOM for work, I will continue to use SQ and connect in SIN. I actively avoid the chaos of domestic flights in India as much as possible. I used to use the combined QF/9W scissor hub in SIN which has never been successfully replaced.

I think Qantas also intends to codeshare 6E’s routes out of Singapore at the same time - so if 6E does resume Singapore-Mumbai, QF will have an option via SIN as well

tullamarine

Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:23 am

smi0006 wrote:
Chaos at SYD today with the airport short staffed across all touch points - combination of Covid and the labour market. Only going to get worse over Easter! I don’t think the public appreciates how impossible it is to recruit and retain staff in the current environment, only way will be to pay more…. But that will have to be recovered through tickets and airport charges.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/3a7f9c ... 09d0cb90db

With an average delay time on domestic departures of about 1 hour, I assume there will be major knock-ons with delays throughout the network by the time of this afternoon's peak.

Whilst the delays caused by COVID iso are unfortunate, I really question the wisdom of airports and airlines gaslighting passengers and implying the numerous delays plaguing the Australian domestic system currently are the passengers' fault because they chose to somehow "unexpectedly" use an advertised service.

We used to pride ourselves on a great domestic system and laugh at the chaos that so often afflicted the US domestic system. What has gone on this week tends to suggest we really are no better and any sense of superiority is now sadly misplaced.

moa999

Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:44 am

The codeshare is important given the number of Indian cities.
Interesting that IndiGo's systems also allow the elite FF benefits - not something many LCCs could do.

tullamarine

Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:51 am

atal17 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
atal17 wrote:

I think Qantas also intends to codeshare 6E’s routes out of Singapore at the same time - so if 6E does resume Singapore-Mumbai, QF will have an option via SIN as well

I don't know that I'm particularly excited about the option of connecting on to a LCC A320 for a 5 hour flight.

RyanairGuru

Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:20 am

The backlash again SACL and Qantas blaming, in part, the passengers for congestion at SYD is as vicious as it was predictable.

The comments on the SMH article are something else. Everything from irate passengers complaining about cancelled flights and call lines to Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister and ‘did you take advice from Scotty from Marketing?’ and/or ‘I don’t hold a (insert item)’ references. People are angry, and the language used by Sydney Airport and Qantas gave that anger an outlet.

Of course Virgin Australia and Rex are affected as well, but had the good sense to not return media enquires!

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/qan ... 5abyd.html

avier

Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:42 am

bjwonline wrote:

This seems more directed at smaller Indian cites with 6E codeshare along with BLR traffic. 6E has a massive presence at BLR, and will help connect many points in India which are inaccessible by many of the foreign airlines or even Air India.

But this definitely doesn't address the issue of connecting BOM or the other major Indian teir-1 cities with SYD.
What's the appeal of flying one-stop on a QF 332 + 6E 320, compared to say SQ 380 + SQ 350/789?

SQ's pricing has been brutal with the opening of int'l travel, and their fares are and will obviously be much lower than QF when serving major Indian cites.

Also BOM is #2 in list of top unserved int'l markets from SYD. So going for the #5 is interesting.

myki

Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:48 am

atal17 wrote:

How will the flight time difference on MEL-SYD-BLR compare with, say, MEL-SIN-BLR?

qf2220

Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:49 am

tullamarine wrote:
atal17 wrote:

Is there any data on Australia-India OD pairs? to show what the biggest markets are?

tullamarine

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:07 am

qf2220 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
atal17 wrote:

Is there any data on Australia-India OD pairs? to show what the biggest markets are?

I think the problem all along has been that it is quite a fractured market with many originating ports in Australia connecting to many destination ports in India. That is why the QF/9W scissor hub worked so well. Flights were timed from Australia to all arrive into SIN so you could connect onto your destination in India with about a 90 minute stopover and v.v. With SQ/Vistara/Scoot now dominating between SE Asia and India, they now pretty much own this connecting market.

atal17

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:21 am

myki wrote:
atal17 wrote:

How will the flight time difference on MEL-SYD-BLR compare with, say, MEL-SIN-BLR?

It’s relatively the same - there’s not much of a difference since Qantas has multiple flights to Sydney.

In fact, SQ has a longer connection time on the route so going via SYD is faster.

atal17

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:23 am

avier wrote:
bjwonline wrote:

This seems more directed at smaller Indian cites with 6E codeshare along with BLR traffic. 6E has a massive presence at BLR, and will help connect many points in India which are inaccessible by many of the foreign airlines or even Air India.

But this definitely doesn't address the issue of connecting BOM or the other major Indian teir-1 cities with SYD.
What's the appeal of flying one-stop on a QF 332 + 6E 320, compared to say SQ 380 + SQ 350/789?

SQ's pricing has been brutal with the opening of int'l travel, and their fares are and will obviously be much lower than QF when serving major Indian cites.

Also BOM is #2 in list of top unserved int'l markets from SYD. So going for the #5 is interesting.

To be honest, choices are limited in the FSC space considering AI in *A and UK with SQ. So, a lot of airlines are putting 6E’s LCC service aside for the massive connection opportunities it affords.

Right now, the new QF flight as well as the flight at Delhi seamlessly connects to a whole host of destinations that would pick up decent traffic.

QF would have a slight leg up in the arena thanks to the 6E codeshares.

tullamarine

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:24 am

atal17 wrote:
myki wrote:
atal17 wrote:

It’s relatively the same - there’s not much of a difference since Qantas has multiple flights to Sydney.

In fact, SQ has a longer connection time on the route so going via SYD is faster.

Except delays on T3 to T1 transfers now means that a minimum of 2 hours is required when connecting in SYD.

atal17

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:28 am

tullamarine wrote:
atal17 wrote:
myki wrote:

Except delays on T3 to T1 transfers now means that a minimum of 2 hours is required when connecting in SYD.

Someone better tell that to Qantas because they’re selling tickets with a connection of an 1 hour and 5 mins.

Chipmunk1973

Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:15 am

qf2220 wrote:
The distance between Perth and Margaret River has actually been a turnoff for me to make a trip to the wine region. If I am like other travellers, then this flight will make it just that bit easier to get there.

But, I would also think there is a market for the premium QF product to BQB perhaps 2x per week from either SYD or MEL given the impression of Margaret River (that I have at least) is that it is more upmarket than say Hunter Valley.

Apologies in advance, I'm not trying to derail the thread away from aviation, but I would like to answer your comments.

Initially I was a bit put off driving from Perth to Margaret River but in reality there is a lot to see and do if you don't mind taking your time and making some stops.

I wouldn't say that Margaret River is more upmarket than the Hunter or the Barossa. I think the region gets the reputation due to the fact that while it only grows about 8% of Australia's wine grapes, it makes up about 25-30% of the premium wines. My only major negative is that you really do need a car to do wine tours/tasting whereas South Australia has much more in the way of options where you can do it without a car.

Happy to provide more detail and suggestions in an appropriate place if you're interested.

But back to the actual topic, I agree that JQ (or even QF) should also offer a service to BQB from SYD.

Cheers.

a320fan

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:02 am

atal17 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
atal17 wrote:

Someone better tell that to Qantas because they’re selling tickets with a connection of an 1 hour and 5 mins.

With changing terminals with no airside connection and having to go through departure immigration that’s not going to happen.

Qantasman66

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:24 am

Does anyone know if the Seoul and Bangalore services will be all year round or seasonal?

atal17

Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:46 am

a320fan wrote:
atal17 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

With changing terminals with no airside connection and having to go through departure immigration that’s not going to happen.

I mean realistically, yes it’s not gonna happen. But if Qantas is legally selling tickets for two flights with an hour of connection time between them, are the passengers going to be entirely at fault?

Qantasman66 wrote:
Does anyone know if the Seoul and Bangalore services will be all year round or seasonal?

Bengaluru looks so far to be year-round. No idea on Seoul, but I’m presuming it’ll be year-round too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos