Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AerTuras1987

Re: Irish 5/22: Summer in the Sky

Wed May 25, 2022 8:16 am

LH982 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Agreed, the lack of a visible security presence throughout the airside part of the airport is glaring, especially compared to other European hubs. Any kind of terror related incident would be very slow to be dealt with

A question if I may. Are the Airport Police effectively just security guards, or do the have any of the same powers as the Gardai?

They definitely do not have the same "powers" as An Garda Síochána, as far as I recall under the airport bye laws they have power to detain you until a real Garda arrives. In general Ireland has a stand off approach to security at major public areas, it's just how it's always been. Is it going to change to a visible presence like LHR / FRA, no it isn't. Is it warranted because of those lads, no it isn't. Things happen sadly.

Eirules

Wed May 25, 2022 8:18 am

LH982 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Agreed, the lack of a visible security presence throughout the airside part of the airport is glaring, especially compared to other European hubs. Any kind of terror related incident would be very slow to be dealt with

A question if I may. Are the Airport Police effectively just security guards, or do the have any of the same powers as the Gardai?

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-ai ... lice-fines

Based on this, “full policing powers within the airport”

Eirules

Wed May 25, 2022 8:24 am

AerTuras1987 wrote:
LH982 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

They definitely do not have the same "powers" as An Garda Síochána, as far as I recall under the airport bye laws they have power to detain you until a real Garda arrives. In general Ireland has a stand off approach to security at major public areas, it's just how it's always been. Is it going to change to a visible presence like LHR / FRA, no it isn't. Is it warranted because of those lads, no it isn't. Things happen sadly.

Sorry but I don’t agree. Things happen because you give them opportunity to do so. While you’ll never 100% prevent crime, the levels of crime in Dublin streets are out of control. Violent underage gangs intimidating people, certain areas of the city as no go areas after dark, one suburb of the city at war, I could go on. Sentencing is a joke and the laissez faire attitude by those in power is appalling. If Dublin wants to be recognised as a true world capital we can no longer take the backwater approach, ah it’ll do, ah well it’s always been like that etc. Unfortunately the airport is just a reflection of a much wider problem

AerTuras1987

Wed May 25, 2022 8:26 am

@Eirules, dude this is an aviation forum....... I couldn't care less about wider society or Dublin becoming a world capital. Seriously, go over to the journal comments for this rubbish.

Eirules

Wed May 25, 2022 8:35 am

AerTuras1987 wrote:
@Eirules, dude this is an aviation forum....... I couldn't care less about wider society or Dublin becoming a world capital. Seriously, go over to the journal comments for this rubbish.

Well maybe if more people did care about wider society we’d live in a better one. Thanks for your telling response

Clydenairways

Wed May 25, 2022 9:14 am

Its a shame to see this in an airport but it's just part of a wider problem in society.. Nothing to do with the DAA. The police in general have a stand off approach when dealing with certain groups, so no surprises seeing no intervention.

PhilipBass

Wed May 25, 2022 9:22 am

richcandy wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:
Flew DFW-LHR-SNN and returned DUB-DFW last week.
Departing DUB was better than I had expected having followed this thread. Check-in just before noon was quick and easy. Security was busy but moved pretty fast - took about 10 mins. Pre-clearance was also quiet given I was on a 2.55pm departure on a Wednesday. 51st and green was relatively quiet, but untidy - especially the bathrooms. Food offerings were modest and staff friendly.
The overall DUB experience was adequate.
Other trip observations.
Major gripe from this trip was the cost of car rental (for a 3 year old car with very high mileage and many unrepaired dings from previous drivers).
Staff shortages not limited to DUB. Duty free at DFW currently closes at 7.30pm due to staffing issues.
EI LHR lounge was underwhelming. Found all seat options uncomfortable for a 5 hour layover. Food selection poor. Bathrooms dirty.
SNN is still a great arrival airport. Just a short few minutes from exiting the aircraft to sitting into my rented car and hitting the road.

You have my sympathy! I have just paid £117 to rent the smallest possible car (Corsa) at BFS. This is for a rental of 5 hrs 0900-1400.

Alex

For my last trip I had my friend lend their car to me and put me on their insurance for a weekend as I was looking at a €400 rental for less than 48 hours for the smallest class of car.
Next time I'll be taking bus and train despite the public transport options from the airport being very poor and infrequent. Cost of the Public transport is reasonable but it is just so inconvenient and turns the trip in to more of an ordeal.
The car rental companies could have ordered lower spec superminis which aren't affected by the chip shortage to any great degree and still be coining it on Car Rental this summer. They are gouging and competition authority and gardai should be raiding their offices but that doesn't happen in Ireland..

OA260

Wed May 25, 2022 1:55 pm

The Garda chief has defended the policing response to the violence that broke out in Dublin Airport yesterday afternoon.
One man was arrested and another hospitalised following a number of fights involving several men in Terminal 1.

"I do not know at this one time what our response was to the second incident.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/g ... 88099.html

Seems they were caught off guard !

ClassicLover

Wed May 25, 2022 3:06 pm

OA260 wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
PhilipBass wrote:
For my last trip I had my friend lend their car to me and put me on their insurance for a weekend as I was looking at a €400 rental for less than 48 hours for the smallest class of car.
Next time I'll be taking bus and train despite the public transport options from the airport being very poor and infrequent. Cost of the Public transport is reasonable but it is just so inconvenient and turns the trip in to more of an ordeal.
The car rental companies could have ordered lower spec superminis which aren't affected by the chip shortage to any great degree and still be coining it on Car Rental this summer. They are gouging and competition authority and gardai should be raiding their offices but that doesn't happen in Ireland..

Is car hire shortage a problem in other countries this year? or just Ireland.. I understood that they determine the amount of cars that they need in a location a year in advance.
If so we should be hearing similar stories from other countries.

Its everywhere during Covid many were sold off or leases terminated . Thats why you are seeing big price increases or difficulty even getting one at any price.

Yeah it's pretty bad. I have to go to a wedding in Cavan in July and want to hire a car for a day to drive up, overnight and drive back. They're pricing up at €350 for the day, which is unbelievable money. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to do it otherwise, because the wedding church and reception venue are half an hour from each other, deep in the country where there's hardly any public transport. Nightmare! I really feel for the tourists who want to do a driving holiday.

dstc47

Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 am

Back in DUB for first flight since Nov 2019, on Monday, heading to LHR.
T2 lines, mainly US passengers checking with EI , ran the run of the Terminal in multiple lanes, God knows how long it took them. Blocking access to bag drop by the depth of the lines and the amount of bags. Bag drop for echecked passengers was fairly quick, - were there some possible users in the queue which did not seem to have anyone advising them of easier option. (Remember the pink shirts of old?). Security took 30 minutes plus. Inside T2 was fairly dirty at the gates, Fridays Irish Independent was still on a seat!

Flight departed 30m late, nice careful crew. 30 minutes wait for bags at LHR.

Returning Wed, heard many meet and greets complaining that UK Immigration was taking 2 hours plus at LHR T2 for those unfortunate to have need of it.
Outward, no particular problems in security, pretty much usual time. Slightly less attentive crew on the return sector. No waiting at immigration but passport ereader did not work. Taxi queue 20 minutes long.

eidvm

Thu May 26, 2022 8:23 am

AerTuras1987 wrote:
The first A320 neo for EI will fly to paint today in Ostrava, delivery shouldn't be too far away. Seems the first two are EI-NSA and EI-NSB, NSB to paint today.

Any photos yet of the first A320 NEOs in the Aer Lingus colours?

AerTuras1987

Thu May 26, 2022 8:48 am

@eidvm , not yet, typically 5-6 days for an A320 re-livery. Early next week some photos might appear.

OA260

Thu May 26, 2022 10:30 am

Flew back last night BOJ - DUB . Just 20 passengers were onboard. Quite a lot of heavy turbulence an hour into the flight. Most people just slept . T2 was unusually busy for 2am and quite a lot sleeping in the closed cafes either side of arrivals.

First time I noticed the safety cards in a pouch attached to the top .

Avoation1091

Thu May 26, 2022 1:43 pm

DUB BOJ has just returned for the season so I’d say loads will pick up. Light loads the first week as I can’t imagine much pax originating in Bourgas. Lots of holiday makers.

OA260

Thu May 26, 2022 2:10 pm

Aer Lingus Regional adds two new routes from Belfast

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0 ... t-belfast/

Good news for EIR at BHD . Nice to see EXT

Vicenza

Thu May 26, 2022 3:59 pm

AerTuras1987 wrote:
LH982 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

They definitely do not have the same "powers" as An Garda Síochána, as far as I recall under the airport bye laws they have power to detain you until a real Garda arrives.

Your simplistic 'explanation' is largely incorrect and very misleading though. Dublin Airport Police have the powers to arrest, stop and search, demand biographical details, detain, and remove/issue banning orders. Their powers extend beyond merely airport by-laws.

OA260

Thu May 26, 2022 4:16 pm

Avoation1091 wrote:
DUB BOJ has just returned for the season so I’d say loads will pick up. Light loads the first week as I can’t imagine much pax originating in Bourgas. Lots of holiday makers.

Its actually very quiet down in resort. The locals are hoping it will pick up in the next few weeks. Many hotels are either closed or housing Ukrainian refugees. I met a few who booked Jet2 from Belfast and East Midlands who had their hotels changed at last minute due to this.

Aer Lingus were originally to start early May but suspended it . No Russians has left a lot of empty rooms. Hopefully Aer Lingus , TUI and Jet2 can help fill the void. Out of the 20 passengers onboard most were from NI it seems a lot more popular in the NI/ British market.

Vicenza

Thu May 26, 2022 4:39 pm

OA260 wrote:
Avoation1091 wrote:

Its actually very quiet down in resort. The locals are hoping it will pick up in the next few weeks. Many hotels are either closed or housing Ukrainian refugees. I met a few who booked Jet2 from Belfast and East Midlands who had their hotels changed at last minute due to this.

Aer Lingus were originally to start early May but suspended it . No Russians has left a lot of empty rooms. Hopefully Aer Lingus , TUI and Jet2 can help fill the void. Out of the 20 passengers onboard most were from NI it seems a lot more popular in the NI/ British market.

Bulgaria is a lovely, and very interesting country to visit and very welcoming. It is indeed a very popular market in NI, including for skiing.

EI320

Fri May 27, 2022 12:49 pm

EI website has been down all day. Amazing that they have no redundancy.

OA260

Fri May 27, 2022 12:57 pm

Yes its a major outage causing huge problems not to mention thousands of Euro in lost business .

EI320

Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Arguably the worst possible time of the week for an outage in terms of lost bookings and operational impact. Major questions to be answered.

OA260

Fri May 27, 2022 3:12 pm

Loganair started their DUB -INV service today.

shamrock321

Fri May 27, 2022 4:10 pm

The Aer Lingus website being doing is inconvenient but thankfully it was nothing on the scale of what Easyjet sufferered yesterday or BA in the past months

JAmie2k9

Sat May 28, 2022 6:41 pm

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ ... 97475.html

Dublin Airport is promising that passengers will get through security in 30 minutes or less from early June.

Airport chiefs have faced a barrage of criticism since the lifting of pandemic restrictions and a ramping up of air schedules in March. Critics have cited long queues, poor service, limited parking and a lack of taxis.

Travellers once again faced lengthy queues this morning as an estimated 50,000 (outbound( people are set to pass through Dublin Airport, including Liverpool and Leinster supporters on their way to France.

But in an interview with the Irish Independent, the DAA’s head of communications, Kevin Cullinane, said airport chiefs are days away from fixing some of the problems – although parking is likely to remain an issue for the summer.

“We’re mandated to have security queues of no more than 30 minutes by the Commission for Aviation Regulation. That’s where we want to get back to,” Mr Cullinane said.

In an effort to improve the situation, DAA will have:

l Hired 300 new security staff “by early June”, taking the total to 900

l Introduced new taxi permits and incentives to encourage taxi drivers to work unsociable hours

l Applied to Government for permission to open temporary parking spaces.

nu

Sun May 29, 2022 9:18 am

Does anyone know if EI Advantage fares still include fast track? It is advertised as such but am concerned the recent disruptions have enhanced this benefit away. Thanks

OA260

Sun May 29, 2022 10:28 am

nu wrote:
Does anyone know if EI Advantage fares still include fast track? It is advertised as such but am concerned the recent disruptions have enhanced this benefit away. Thanks

Yes it does when it is open .

Sadly today has turned into misery for passengers this morning its chaos at Dublin Airport . Just goes to show we cant believe anything being spun out by daa PR gurus !

"Due to significant queues inside the terminal for check-in, bag drop & security, passengers queueing outside the terminal may not make their flight & may need to contact their airline to rebook. We sincerely apologise for the obvious frustration and inconvenience this may cause."

https://twitter.com/dublinairport/statu ... 0D9MCmn5Ng

Its time for emergency action from the government .

AmricanShamrok

Sun May 29, 2022 11:04 am

OA260 wrote:

Sadly today has turned into misery for passengers this morning its chaos at Dublin Airport . Just goes to show we cant believe anything being spun out by daa PR gurus !

"Due to significant queues inside the terminal for check-in, bag drop & security, passengers queueing outside the terminal may not make their flight & may need to contact their airline to rebook. We sincerely apologise for the obvious frustration and inconvenience this may cause."

People in the greater Dublin area should start voting with their feet now and using other Irish airports where possible. It's about 2hrs, 30mins (give or take) by road from Dublin to ORK, SNN and NOC and would be well worth considering if the destination is served from them.

OA260

Sun May 29, 2022 11:21 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

People in the greater Dublin area should start voting with their feet now and using other Irish airports where possible. It's about 2hrs, 30mins (give or take) by road from Dublin to ORK, SNN and NOC and would be well worth considering if the destination is served from them.

Normally that idea would be for the birds but considering friends of mine were at DUB this morning at 4am and only made an 8 am flight by running to the gate WITH Fast Track that is right now a good alternative. Also BFS LDY BHD too if you are within a 2 hour drive.

Eirules

Sun May 29, 2022 11:22 am

OA260 wrote:
nu wrote:

Yes it does when it is open .

Absolute joke and our minister of transport is nowhere to be found

Clydenairways

Sun May 29, 2022 11:35 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

It's an opportunity for them but they need to try and get the message out there must better. Most people won't even be aware it's an alternative. They need to put it all over social media to beat the queues.

AmricanShamrok

Sun May 29, 2022 11:45 am

Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

It's an opportunity for them but they need to try and get the message out there must better. Most people won't even be aware it's an alternative. They need to put it all over social media to beat the queues.

100% - it's surprising the other airports aren't getting all over this. Even the security upgrades (i.e. removal of liquid restrictions) at SNN/KIR/CFN seem to have been given very little airtime and most people don't know about it. That alone probably wouldn't be enough to persuade people to fly from there as an alternative but all things considered as part of the bigger picture, it could.

ClassicLover

Sun May 29, 2022 12:08 pm

Flew LHR-DUB last night on EI179. First time at the LHR T2 lounge for quite some time, and it's the same as it always was, though a couple of pieces of furniture (the cloth green seats) need re-covering as they look dirty just through age. Food was cream of chicken soup, or you could have things like biscuits or pretzels or gluten free fruit cake. Not much on offer. No drinks in the large juice container things (no doubt they are full at breakfast), just a single big bottle of still and sparkling water in the fridge, plus all the usual cans of drinks, wine etc. Staff replenished items frequently and the lounge was pleasantly busy without being full.

The lady on reception was pretty cold, I thought. I'm quite smiley and friendly and she did not respond in kind, that's for sure. No smile was cracked. I imagine she's just not one of those types of people as she wasn't rude, but it was really off putting and not very welcoming. Either that or she was not having a good day, it happens, but I was quite taken aback as the EI staff are usually extremely friendly.

Flight was pretty full, didn't buy anything, and it was on time. We left 15 minutes late as it looks like they were waiting on the Menzies honey wagon to pump us out (judging from my seeing it arrive after boarding complete, various pumping type things happening and what not) but we landed on time. Or maybe it was filling potable water, I'm not sure which way things were going, but it gave me the impression of toilet servicing. We pushed back the second the thing was disconnected.

I was on EI-EDS and the seats are awful. They're not the EI seats, they're those slimline ones with zero padding which are hard under your bum. Certainly not the usual EI comfort, sadly.

OA260

Sun May 29, 2022 12:19 pm

ClassicLover wrote:

I was on EI-EDS and the seats are awful. They're not the EI seats, they're those slimline ones with zero padding which are hard under your bum. Certainly not the usual EI comfort, sadly.

That was my Reg to BOJ for nearly 4 hours last week .
The Ex Iberia .

ClassicLover

Sun May 29, 2022 12:56 pm

OA260 wrote:
That was my Reg to BOJ for nearly 4 hours last week .
The Ex Iberia .

I figured from some of the notices in Spanish. Sorry to hear you had four hours in those seats! The forward toilet sink and mirror - shockers too. The bottom of the mirror is sort of broken/worn away and the sink has a badly cracked look from wear and tear.

JAmie2k9

Sun May 29, 2022 1:14 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Except its not an opportunity, EI and FR are not going to shift there focus because of security delays at DUB. They will get compensation from the daa for the issues and people will move on.

Remember all those who said they would never fly into DUB because of the immigration issues, largely resolved.

OA260

Sun May 29, 2022 1:24 pm

CHAOS Dublin Airport 'to compensate passengers' who miss flights due to queues
Taoiseach Micheal Martin said the situation was ‘not satisfactory’

https://www.sundayworld.com/news/irish- ... 00627.html

EI320

Sun May 29, 2022 2:37 pm

Labour shortfalls have proven a challenge at many airports since the relaxation of travel restrictions, but the situation at DUB is significantly worse than most. On a relative basis, DUB has failed very badly.

In my view, it’s no longer acceptable for the current senior management team to remain in place. While a new management team clearly won’t solve these issues overnight, it’s inappropriate for a leadership team who have caused such damage and chaos to remain at the helm. The Minister for Transport must show some leadership and start holding management accountable for the significant damage done to Ireland’s reputation as a destination for tourism and business.

Dalton Philips (CEO) appears to have gone into hiding amidst the mess, presumably in an effort to preserve his reputation until he jumps ship post-summer. He has done nothing to deserve this shelter. He must be shown the door.

OA260

Sun May 29, 2022 2:54 pm

EI320 wrote:
In my view, it’s no longer acceptable for the current senior management team to remain in place. While a new management team clearly won’t solve these issues overnight, it’s inappropriate for a leadership team who have caused such damage and chaos to remain at the helm. The Minister for Transport must show some leadership and start holding management accountable for the significant damage done to Ireland’s reputation as a destination for tourism and business.

Agreed and this statement is laughable :

" Head of Communications at daa Kevin Cullinane said they are "deeply sorry" for the disruption caused to passengers who have faced long delays with some missing their flights.
Mr Cullinane said they did not have enough lanes open in security for the numbers that presented early this morning. "That caused a compounding effect throughout the morning", he said."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0529/13...ublin-airport/

Weekend at the end of May and they don't know how many lanes they need to process the expected number of passengers ? Are they having a laugh ! Total incompetence. They have lost control.

nickya340

Sun May 29, 2022 3:03 pm

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ ... 97475.html

They also said this the other day about queues.
“Early June” is next week!

EI320

Sun May 29, 2022 3:13 pm

OA260 wrote:
EI320 wrote:

Weekend at the end of May and they don't know how many lanes they need to process the expected number of passengers ? Are they having a laugh ! Total incompetence. They have lost control.

Did the people who actually know how to run an airport take redundancy during Covid? I don’t say that in jest, because it certainly feels that way.

I feel we’re unlikely to see a material improvement in the weeks ahead despite press reports to the contrary over the weekend. Traffic numbers will continue to step up through June, July and August while security screening will be staffed with hundreds of inexperienced personnel who could struggle to cope with the pressure of peak summer operations. I can see attrition being high and efficiency being low.

New recruits don’t need to put up with the s**** they’re facing each day at the airport. The labour market is tighter than ever and they can find easier jobs for similar money elsewhere. DAA have created a hole for themselves that they will struggle to climb out of.

I predict that a return to normalcy won’t be seen until September.

“Days away from fixing the problems” - utter BS and spin of the worst kind in an effort to create a good headline and deflect some of the heat.

dstc47

Sun May 29, 2022 4:23 pm

A hard seat on the "new" EI A320's will still come as welcome relief after the long queues at DUB.

The RTE website shows some photos of the airport fun today, enough to put you off flying for life.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0529/13018 ... n-airport/

AmricanShamrok

Sun May 29, 2022 4:49 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Except its not an opportunity, EI and FR are not going to shift there focus because of security delays at DUB. They will get compensation from the daa for the issues and people will move on.

Remember all those who said they would never fly into DUB because of the immigration issues, largely resolved.

I wasn't talking about EI and FR, I meant additional passengers for the other airports.

JAmie2k9

Sun May 29, 2022 5:25 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:

I wasn't talking about EI and FR, I meant additional passengers for the other airports.

Capacity should already be heavily sold over the summer. Its hard to see any noticeable impact at regional airports but airlines might be able to sell at a higher fare.

shamrock350

Sun May 29, 2022 5:45 pm

Any sudden shift in focus to the regional airports, enough to alleviate issues at Dublin, would rapidly overwhelm them and likely result in similar scenes.

In the longer term there could be an argument for more services from the regions but the problems at Dublin won’t change the economics enough for a notable change in strategy from airlines serving Ireland.

The airport needs to get its act together but I fear management are just holding out for the winter schedule.

OA260

Sun May 29, 2022 6:41 pm

Minister to meet airport operator over wait times

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0529/13018 ... s-flights/

This couple had a really bad series of events :

"We were here at 4.45am this morning, and our flight was meant to be 7.45am. We arrived at the closing gate at 7.40am, and our plane was outside, but they wouldn't let us through the gates. I counted 36 of us at the gate, and people looked very distressed," said Jerry.

"I don’t think we’re going to get to Naples now, simple as that, because we came back down to security where we picked up our luggage, we were told to re-queue again, which we did at 8.40am. Five hours we were queueing again, just to be told then that we had no flight to Naples.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0529/13018 ... d-flights/

Reading the recent comments from the daa "PR" dept its now 4.5 hours before for TATL if checking in a bag.

IrishTexan

Sun May 29, 2022 7:12 pm

From the perspective of a regular INBOUND visitor for over 30 years, the reputational damage keeps mounting.
How much will this year's pricing and availability of hotels, car hire, air fares and hospitality with the added Dublin airport "experience" impact inbound tourism?
How many of this year's inbound visitors will return, or recommend Ireland to others?
Even simple tasks like currency exchange are now challenging.
Hope things improve, but a lot of damage has been inflicted.

Vicenza

Sun May 29, 2022 7:23 pm

[quote="Clydenairways"
People in the greater Dublin area should start voting with their feet now and using other Irish airports where possible. It's about 2hrs, 30mins (give or take) by road from Dublin to ORK, SNN and NOC and would be well worth considering if the destination is served from them.[/quote]
It's an opportunity for them but they need to try and get the message out there must better. Most people won't even be aware it's an alternative. They need to put it all over social media to beat the queues.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but are you seriously portraying that "most people" in Ireland are so stupid not to know that there are three other airports within 2.5 hours drive from Dublin.....indeed 5 if you include BFS and BHD, which are even closer....and they need social media to be informed of this? Come on, get real!

ClassicLover

Sun May 29, 2022 7:47 pm

Vicenza wrote:
I'm sorry, but are you seriously portraying that "most people" in Ireland are so stupid not to know that there are three other airports within 2.5 hours drive from Dublin.....indeed 5 if you include BFS and BHD, which are even closer....and they need social media to be informed of this? Come on, get real!

I would be of the view that most people wouldn't even think to search ORK, SNN, NOC, BFS or BHD if they live in and around Dublin. Why would you? You would search the airport nearest to you and for the cheapest flight at that airport. It would be the rare person who would think, "Oh, Security queues at Dublin are bad - perhaps I could fly from Shannon instead."

One must remember that these queue blow outs seem to be intermittent issues, as it's not happening all the time, and it's usually not as bad as the ones currently being reported. This is one of the worst ones, but how many other times have we seen it like this? Three? Five? It's not actually all that many.

People can think it's going to cause Ireland reputational damage, but I really don't think it will. People will forget about it quickly enough. If DAA think they'll be on top of it by the end of June, there's no reason to disbelieve that. I'll be curious to see if we get any further reports after that though!

EI320

Sun May 29, 2022 8:22 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

I would be of the view that most people wouldn't even think to search ORK, SNN, NOC, BFS or BHD if they live in and around Dublin. Why would you? You would search the airport nearest to you and for the cheapest flight at that airport. It would be the rare person who would think, "Oh, Security queues at Dublin are bad - perhaps I could fly from Shannon instead."

One must remember that these queue blow outs seem to be intermittent issues, as it's not happening all the time, and it's usually not as bad as the ones currently being reported. This is one of the worst ones, but how many other times have we seen it like this? Three? Five? It's not actually all that many.

People can think it's going to cause Ireland reputational damage, but I really don't think it will. People will forget about it quickly enough. If DAA think they'll be on top of it by the end of June, there's no reason to disbelieve that. I'll be curious to see if we get any further reports after that though!

Let’s see how quickly tourists who miss their flights home after queuing for 3+ hours forget about it. To me it sounds like quite an unforgettable experience.

I would also add that there is every reason to disbelieve the rubbish being sprouted by DAA PR. DAA have been misleading the travelling public about queue times for weeks. A safer bet would be to assume that every statement from DAA is BS and then work back from there. Pardon my cynicism, but my view is that DAA or their management team deserve absolutely no leeway here.

ClassicLover

Sun May 29, 2022 8:30 pm

EI320 wrote:
I would also add that there is every reason to disbelieve the rubbish being sprouted by DAA PR. DAA have been misleading the travelling public about queue times for weeks. A safer bet would be to assume that every statement from DAA is BS and then work back from there. Pardon my cynicism, but my view is that DAA or their management team deserve absolutely no leeway here.

Have they though? Without any actual proof, there is no reason to disbelieve them. While I have only flown out of Dublin five times this year (January, March, April and twice in May), on none of those days was there any queue outside of the terminal and the most I waited inside was 30 minutes in T2 when the advertised wait time on the DAA's screen when I arrived was 40 minutes. Thousands of others are flying each day with no issue as well.

Yes, there have been issues, but again, it's only been reported in the press with people missing flights on a relatively small number of occasions. If it were happening on a daily basis, it would be being reported on a daily basis, but since it's not, the vast majority of people are getting away, like I have, without any hitch. Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first person to be screaming about a missed flight due to the airport, but making out it's happening all the time is just incorrect. Also, accusing DAA of rubbish PR and lying is not great, because in this day and age of social media, if they did lie, they'd be found out immediately. I've found most corporations I've worked for avoid lying because the fallout of being discovered if you do is 50 times worse (and it's also illegal in many cases).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos