Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WkndWanderer

Re: Boeing moving HQ to DC

Fri May 06, 2022 1:00 am

ElroyJetson wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:
william wrote:
What company is MOVING to high cost Seattle?

I mean WA state has no corporate income tax, and Boeing was largely exempted under state law from B&O tax until they asked not to be anymore during their WTO spat with Airbus. DC-Nova is very expensive in it's own right. I think as others have said, almost every major defense contractor is headquartered in the DC metro, this makes more sense than Chicago ever did.

Washington's effective tax rate is ranked 37th in the nation at 12.2% Virginia is quite a bit less expensive.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-st ... payer/2416

The article you're citing is for personal and household effective tax rates, WA's overall business tax climate is better than VA's. WA is ranked 10 spots higher in business tax climate by the Tax Foundation.

https://taxfoundation.org/2021-state-bu ... ate-index/
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Fri May 06, 2022 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

D L X

Fri May 06, 2022 1:01 am

IADCA wrote:
For those unfamiliar with Arlington, Boeing's campus there is pretty much a stone's throw from the Pentagon, and it's also tucked up against the new Amazon HQ2 developments in Crystal City. There's already a huge Boeing presence there, and the Arlington County Board has been handing out local real estate tax breaks like candy to fill a glut of vacant office space.

BUT… they’re doing it smartly. They lured Boeing in a few years ago with choice land next to the airport, and the county made them develop some parks and a really nice public aquatic center as well.

LMP737

Fri May 06, 2022 1:10 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Boeing said to be moving HQ from Chicago to DC area likely Arlington

Surprised it took such a short time to jump ship from Chicago.

- Want to be closer to decision makers in Washington

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/152 ... RVKOMvyDMQ
https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-pla ... os1&page=1

Boeing would move the HQ to hell if they thought it would give them influence with satan.

ElroyJetson

Fri May 06, 2022 1:28 am

WkndWanderer wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:

I mean WA state has no corporate income tax, and Boeing was largely exempted under state law from B&O tax until they asked not to be anymore during their WTO spat with Airbus. DC-Nova is very expensive in it's own right. I think as others have said, almost every major defense contractor is headquartered in the DC metro, this makes more sense than Chicago ever did.

Washington's effective tax rate is ranked 37th in the nation at 12.2% Virginia is quite a bit less expensive.

The article you're citing is for personal and household effective tax rates, WA's overall business tax climate is better than VA's. WA is ranked 10 spots higher in business tax climate by the Tax Foundation.

Except the move is from Illinois to Virginia, not Washington, and Virigina has a vastly better tax environment. Also, taxes overall are much higher in Illinois and Washington than Virigina. For Boeing employees their effective tax rate in Illinois is the worst in the Nation. Virginia ranks 25th, Washington ranks 37th, and Illinois ranks 51st.

WkndWanderer

Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 am

ElroyJetson wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

Except the move is from Illinois to Virginia, not Washington, and Virigina has a vastly better tax environment. Also, taxes overall are much higher in Illinois and Washington than Virigina. For Boeing employees their effective tax rate in Illinois is the worst in the Nation. Virginia ranks 25th, Washington ranks 37th, and Illinois ranks 51st.

I was responding specifically to a post indicating that business taxes were higher in WA than in VA. You are continuing to cite information on household effective tax rates and not business and employer paid taxes (e.g. UI taxes).
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Fri May 06, 2022 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Asiaflyer

Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 am

What a joke Boeing has become. They screwed everything up themselves and now expect taxpayers money to save them!

aemoreira1981

Fri May 06, 2022 1:43 am

IFlyOff wrote:
Very much the trend in the USA for corporations to move from high tax/high regulation states (California, Illinois, New York, etc.) to lower tax/less regulatory bureaucracy states in the south including Florida and Texas.

Washington State has no state income tax though. The issue there is that the McDonnell Douglas culture has permeated over the legacy Boeing culture.

DFW17L

Fri May 06, 2022 2:21 am

They can always go back to building Hydrofoils, herding cattle or cutting lumber. Bill Boeing would be so proud.

4engines4short

Fri May 06, 2022 2:39 am

Does anyone know who Boeing uses for business travel? I am guessing either UA or AA and UA would probably be their only real option in DC and is this something that is potentially used in order negotiations.

amtravels

Fri May 06, 2022 3:16 am

sxf24 wrote:
amtravels wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Tom Gentile does not walk the floor at Spirit every morning.

The CEO of Boeing hires CEOs at BCA and BDS to run those businesses. I think there’s a warped view of what CEOs do. They should listen and talk to many different types of workers, but their job is to focus on big, strategic issues and hiring/developing the right people. At a Fortune 100 company, a CEO should rarely be at HQ - they’re on the road visiting company sites, meeting with customers and seeing investors 80% of the time. Dave Calhoun actually lives in South Carolina!

Tom walks the floor near daily. If not daily, then absolutely weekly. He's there at 5:30am. Now, a move for BCA back to Seattle, combined with a shift in corporate culture to engage with the folks on the ground would be positive for Boeing. However, a move back to Seattle without that culture shift is useless.

Walking the floor weekly is nice and certainly helps with culture.

Since Dave Calhoun lives in South Carolina, I don’t think moving HQ to Seattle will get him on the factory floor of Everett any more than he already visits. Besides, that’s Stan Deal’s job.

Granted this is a civil aviation site, but people act like 7-series are the only products Boeing makes.

You make a good point about Calhoun. Anyway, back to my original question. How long until Boeing spins off BCA or BDS? seems like it’s only a matter of time at this point.

sxf24

Fri May 06, 2022 3:37 am

amtravels wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
amtravels wrote:

Tom walks the floor near daily. If not daily, then absolutely weekly. He's there at 5:30am. Now, a move for BCA back to Seattle, combined with a shift in corporate culture to engage with the folks on the ground would be positive for Boeing. However, a move back to Seattle without that culture shift is useless.

Walking the floor weekly is nice and certainly helps with culture.

Since Dave Calhoun lives in South Carolina, I don’t think moving HQ to Seattle will get him on the factory floor of Everett any more than he already visits. Besides, that’s Stan Deal’s job.

Granted this is a civil aviation site, but people act like 7-series are the only products Boeing makes.

You make a good point about Calhoun. Anyway, back to my original question. How long until Boeing spins off BCA or BDS? seems like it’s only a matter of time at this point.

I don’t see it happening. There’s less value to investors separately than together. Unlike conglomerates, there are actually synergies is aerospace.

atcsundevil

Re: Boeing moving HQ to Arlington, VA

Fri May 06, 2022 3:43 am

A lot of people seem very focused on this move being related to the defense contract side of the business as well as lobbying. While that is undoubtedly a component, there are other very relevant reasons. Boeing already has a large presence in Northern Virginia, as does a fast growing tech sector in the Reston/Loudoun area. Roughly 80% of the world's internet traffic passes through Loudoun County, and it has quickly become one of the largest data storage locations on the planet. Collaborating with other companies in the aerospace and tech sector is going to be important to Boeing's future. Having a location in Chicago really doesn't do much of anything strategically for the company without significant tax incentives. The State of Virginia is not offering tax incentives, so clearly the other reasons for relocation were more compelling. It also doesn't hurt that Senator Mark Warner has been pushing the move for some time, and he has undeniably become an influential congressman. While moving headquarters is without question the least of Boeing's concerns right now, there are plenty of valid reasons for this decision.

ElroyJetson

Fri May 06, 2022 3:58 am

atcsundevil wrote:
A lot of people seem very focused on this move being related to the defense contract side of the business as well as lobbying. While that is undoubtedly a component, there are other very relevant reasons. Boeing already has a large presence in Northern Virginia, as does a fast growing tech sector in the Reston/Loudoun area. Roughly 80% of the world's internet traffic passes through Loudoun County, and it has quickly become one of the largest data storage locations on the planet. Collaborating with other companies in the aerospace and tech sector is going to be important to Boeing's future. Having a location in Chicago really doesn't do much of anything strategically for the company without significant tax incentives. The State of Virginia is not offering tax incentives, so clearly the other reasons for relocation were more compelling. It also doesn't hurt that Senator Mark Warner has been pushing the move for some time, and he has undeniably become an influential congressman. While moving headquarters is without question the least of Boeing's concerns right now, there are plenty of valid reasons for this decision.

I too am very familiar with the Northern Virginia area. And yes, it is a major technology and aerospace hub. A partial listing of Fortune 500 companies in the Northern Virginia and Virginia area. With all due respect to Chicago, I think this move makes a lot of sense for a variety of reasons.

https://patch.com/virginia/mclean/fortu ... -2020-list

Canuck600

Fri May 06, 2022 4:01 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boeing Commercial Aircraft is still headquartered in Washington state & it's only the Boeing Corporation that moved to Chicago & now Virginia? Boeing Commercial Aircraft needs a good house cleaning.

I really get a feeling that a lot of posters really don't know much about corporate structure.

Edit to add more info It's actually Stanley Deal that is responsible for the overall commercial aircraft division & he reports to Calhoun. The Boeing Corporation could relocate to the Artic & it wouldn't have an effect on what goes on at Boeing Commercial Aircraft.

ScottB

Fri May 06, 2022 4:26 am

sxf24 wrote:
Northrop and Raytheon also moved HQs to DC area.

No, Raytheon is still headquartered in the Boston suburbs (Waltham, specifically). Raytheon's HQ location was chosen for the company resulting from the merger of United Technologies and Raytheon.

ElroyJetson

Fri May 06, 2022 4:36 am

ScottB wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
Northrop and Raytheon also moved HQs to DC area.

No, Raytheon is still headquartered in the Boston suburbs (Waltham, specifically). Raytheon's HQ location was chosen for the company resulting from the merger of United Technologies and Raytheon.

The aerospace companies in Northern Virginia are General Dynamics and Northrup Grumman. As you said, not Raytheon.
Last edited by ElroyJetson on Fri May 06, 2022 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElroyJetson

Fri May 06, 2022 4:43 am

Something being missed is Boeing is also building out and expanding a research and technology hub in Virginia at their new Corporate Headquarters. Per Reuters.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/boei ... 11185.html

Key Quote: Boeing also plans to develop a research and technology hub in the Arlington area, home to the Pentagon and across the Potomac River from the U.S. capital.

Senator Mark Warner of Virginia told Reuters in an interview the headquarters move "is great for bragging rights -- what maybe a long-term bigger boost to (Virginia) may be the research and development center."

WkndWanderer

Fri May 06, 2022 4:47 am

Canuck600 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Boeing Commercial Aircraft is still headquartered in Washington state & it's only the Boeing Corporation that moved to Chicago & now Virginia? Boeing Commercial Aircraft needs a good house cleaning.

I really get a feeling that a lot of posters really don't know much about corporate structure.

Edit to add more info It's actually Stanley Deal that is responsible for the overall commercial aircraft division & he reports to Calhoun. The Boeing Corporation could relocate to the Artic & it wouldn't have an effect on what goes on at Boeing Commercial Aircraft.

They sold the WA headquarters of BCA last year. They're now just scattered at BFI, PAE, CHS, or Renton, not including the ones who are mostly working from home now. They technically no longer have a HQ building, Stan Deal's office is at the Boeing Field delivery center.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/boe ... s-for-100m

IADCA

Fri May 06, 2022 12:59 pm

D L X wrote:
IADCA wrote:
For those unfamiliar with Arlington, Boeing's campus there is pretty much a stone's throw from the Pentagon, and it's also tucked up against the new Amazon HQ2 developments in Crystal City. There's already a huge Boeing presence there, and the Arlington County Board has been handing out local real estate tax breaks like candy to fill a glut of vacant office space.

BUT… they’re doing it smartly. They lured Boeing in a few years ago with choice land next to the airport, and the county made them develop some parks and a really nice public aquatic center as well.

This is rather an aside, but the Arlington taxpayers are on the hook a fair bit for the aquatic center as well, especially via ongoing operating funding. Place ain't cheap, and a lot of the whining is that the location is really inconvenient to the areas of the county that tend to fill the pools. I don't have a ton of sympathy there - land in Arlington isn't exactly easy to find - but it is a bit of a pain to get to. As for Boeing, that location made more sense pre-Amazon; I think if you asked the Board today, they'd prefer Boeing to have landed in Rosslyn or Ballston these days. Not that they'll turn this down.

sxf24

Fri May 06, 2022 1:54 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
Canuck600 wrote:

They sold the WA headquarters of BCA last year. They're now just scattered at BFI, PAE, CHS, or Renton, not including the ones who are mostly working from home now. They technically no longer have a HQ building, Stan Deal's office is at the Boeing Field delivery center.

So they put company leadership at production and delivery sites instead of an isolated corporate campus?

WkndWanderer

Fri May 06, 2022 2:10 pm

sxf24 wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:
Canuck600 wrote:

So they put company leadership at production and delivery sites instead of an isolated corporate campus?

Sort of, sounds like they’re a bit nomadic now and have people working from home. BFI is probably about 5-10 minutes further from the Renton factory.

“We are going to be more flexible in where and how people work,” Chun said. “People will not be tied to large offices but when they need to be, they will be closer to where production and delivery occurs.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... e-seattle/

Metchalus

Fri May 06, 2022 2:27 pm

amtravels wrote:
Sooo… how long until BCA and the rest of Boeing split? Boeing gov’t and defense stay in DC, BCA sets up shop elsewhere.

And I disagree with the broad based assumption above that good management can work from anywhere. Sure, but there’s something to be gained from management walking the factory floor, talking to mechanics and supervisors on a regular basis.

Sources say that the CEO of Spirit AeroSystems (fka Boeing) walks the shop floor every morning at shift start so that he knows what’s going on within his business. Gives him valuable insight and probably earns him a little goodwill among the hourlies, too. This is how it should be done at Boeing itself.

Why would they split if defence products are being produced in commercial facilities.

zakuivcustom

Fri May 06, 2022 5:21 pm

Metchalus wrote:
Why would they split if defence products are being produced in commercial facilities.

Adding on - how will KC-46 production work if they really split...

ElroyJetson wrote:
Senator Mark Warner of Virginia told Reuters in an interview the headquarters move "is great for bragging rights -- what maybe a long-term bigger boost to (Virginia) may be the research and development center."

The message is somewhat vague...will this be in parallel with the VT Innovation Center in Alexandria, or in addition to? Boeing did commit 50M to the former back when Amazon announced HQ2.

Either way, this should definitely increase Boeing's presence in the DMV region. LMT especially have a much larger presence, as is Northrop and also General Dynamics or even BAE Systems and Raytheon.

Lootess

Fri May 06, 2022 5:24 pm

atcsundevil wrote:

It's kind of how the status quo has been, HQ moves to a location already existing. Oracle already had a presence in Austin, TX, and a lot of the executives still live around SFO or are based in Redwood Shores.

Tesla had the Austin Gigafactory already built as they did not have the capacity to make another line of vehicles in Fremont, CA. Obviously Elon had the spat with CA during the pandemic, Boeing was losing the Chicago incentive, and Oracle has a presence in many states. HP probably stands out because they built net-new campus near Houston.

A lot of companies are also attracted to Reston area because of recruiting and talent as well, stone throw away from several top universities in the country. Area is very attractive for suburban life over having to commute to Chicago Loop. Aside from government presence, and needing to foster a better relationship. There really isn't anything positive points for Chicago anymore. Old brass used the line it's far enough from Seattle but between the coasts.

zakuivcustom

Fri May 06, 2022 5:40 pm

Lootess wrote:
HP probably stands out because they built net-new campus near Houston.

(Getting off topic) But HP already have a large presence in Houston area that dates way back to its merger with Compaq. They're building the new campus bc their old campus (aka former Compaq campus) was damaged by flood during Harvey.

Ultimately, like many already said - the only thing that makes no sense was the fact that Boeing had its global HQ in Chicago.

Lootess

Fri May 06, 2022 5:50 pm

This was the criteria compiled by the Harvard Business Review back when they did the story on Boeing was moving out of Seattle in 2001, and ultimately landed in Chicago:

Arlington checks all those boxes today too, and can simply just add regulator presence to it.

EBiafore99

Fri May 06, 2022 6:17 pm

Boeing needs to stop playing this game. Moving headquarters, no matter the "business" reason, takes resources, and Boeing needs all of their resources dedicated to actually fixing the problems in their product portfolio.

jbs2886

Fri May 06, 2022 6:19 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

I too am very familiar with the Northern Virginia area. And yes, it is a major technology and aerospace hub. A partial listing of Fortune 500 companies in the Northern Virginia and Virginia area. With all due respect to Chicago, I think this move makes a lot of sense for a variety of reasons.

https://patch.com/virginia/mclean/fortu ... -2020-list

Both great posts. Consistent with your points, Boeing also indicated its opening a research and technology hub in Virginia. https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2022-05-05 ... nology-Hub

jbs2886

Fri May 06, 2022 6:24 pm

EBiafore99 wrote:
Boeing needs to stop playing this game. Moving headquarters, no matter the "business" reason, takes resources, and Boeing needs all of their resources dedicated to actually fixing the problems in their product portfolio.

There are so many of these unnecessary negative posts. Yes, Boeing has major problems to fix. I think we all know that and they know that. But this type of narrow thinking isn't the solution. It takes a lot of actions, even those symbolic and long-term structural to fix Boeing's problems - it isn't just getting the current product line approved and delivered. If you took a minute to read what is happening, you'd understand there are not a ton of resources dedicated to this as you suggest. Its basically execs moving to existing Boeing office space close to its largest customer and commercial aviation regulators and opening a research and technology hub.

zakuivcustom

Fri May 06, 2022 6:42 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:

There are so many of these unnecessary negative posts. Yes, Boeing has major problems to fix. I think we all know that and they know that. But this type of narrow thinking isn't the solution. It takes a lot of actions, even those symbolic and long-term structural to fix Boeing's problems - it isn't just getting the current product line approved and delivered. If you took a minute to read what is happening, you'd understand there are not a ton of resources dedicated to this as you suggest. Its basically execs moving to existing Boeing office space close to its largest customer and commercial aviation regulators and opening a research and technology hub.

Adding on...it actually save cost in the long run. Boeing no longer has to have that relatively unused office space in Chicago and now have their global HQ in the same building (AFAIK) as one of their large business unit (BDS). Less overhead on operation = more money (on paper) for R&D.

MIflyer12

Fri May 06, 2022 7:14 pm

EBiafore99 wrote:

The location of execs is really not material. (They got Chicago's incentives by talking abut 2,000 employees working there. It quickly became apparent the number was around 1,000. A recent source put it at just 500.) Those 500 could work on the moon given good internet.

Beoing execs aren't going to meet with legislators and regulators routinely. They've got lobbyists and Corp. Communications people for that -- who they can readily terminate if they mess up.

WkndWanderer

Fri May 06, 2022 7:33 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:

Right, this seems more like a change of address and consolidation to an existing facility more than anything. Boeing’s own announcement basically says that remote work means it doesn’t really matter so much where they plant their flag. A lot of the people affected probably won’t even have to move if they don’t want to.

“Over the past two years, Boeing has implemented flexible and virtual solutions that have enabled the company to reduce its office space needs.”

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2022-05-05 ... nology-Hub

Ertro

Fri May 06, 2022 7:41 pm

Lootess wrote:
This was the criteria compiled by the Harvard Business Review back when they did the story on Boeing was moving out of Seattle in 2001, and ultimately landed in Chicago:

That picture is very loud in what is NOT included.
Basically everything that people in this discussion have raised as important things are totally non-factor at all.

Consider issue like "communication within company" and search for it in the picture and compare importance to things that really are mentioned as criteria.
I guess "Proximity to restaurants" is a major problem in big US cities so that it needs to be raised as major criteria. Or is it?

EBiafore99

Fri May 06, 2022 7:48 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:

The location of execs is really not material. (They got Chicago's incentives by talking abut 2,000 employees working there. It quickly became apparent the number was around 1,000. A recent source put it at just 500.) Those 500 could work on the moon given good internet.

Beoing execs aren't going to meet with legislators and regulators routinely. They've got lobbyists and Corp. Communications people for that -- who they can readily terminate if they mess up.

From my perspective, it's not necessarily about location of the execs. It's about timing. Boeing's 787 line is down. The 777X is delayed. Regardless of who is moving, it's a distraction from the operation of the business and take resources that could be allocated elsewhere. Of the issues needing attention, moving should be at the bottom of the list.

CowAnon

Fri May 06, 2022 7:49 pm

At least this time Boeing didn't put the siting process up for a humiliating public beauty pageant, like with its original move to Chicago and in the FAL competitions for the 787 and 777X.

IADCA wrote:

As a Puget Sound resident, I find it hilarious how Boeing went from being the longtime top dog in Seattle, to being forced to share its local corporate dominance with tech companies like Microsoft and Amazon, to now having its world headquarters being in the shadow of Amazon's secondary/tertiary offices.

PepeTheFrog

Fri May 06, 2022 8:45 pm

Eventually Everett (and perhaps even Renton) will be a dead end. The new HQ will be closer to the South Carolina factory:

- 787 production already moved to Charleston
- 747 production is coming to an end
- 777X will be the final iteration of the 777, so any successor can be assembled elsewhere
- Years ago Boeing purchased additional land in Charleston and have options to buy more in the future
- So then can even build the 737 successor in Charleston
- And Boeing management doesn't like union states

DLPMMM

Fri May 06, 2022 9:28 pm

Looks like moving around the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Pythagoras

Fri May 06, 2022 11:26 pm

Bird80 wrote:
The move does seem to make some sense from a couple of perspectives. The MAX crashes caused huge relationship damage with the FAA, when the events made it appear as though Boeing had deliberately hidden the existence and function of MCAS from their regulator. This damage has cost Boeing immensely. There is the appearance of zero trust between the two. For example, I cannot understand why it took such a long period of time (almost a year!) for Boeing to even submit their 787 certification plan. I mean, nearly a year to just submit a plan, while you're sitting on and still accumulating tens of billions of dollars worth of 787 inventory??? On top of that, the removal of Delegated Authority for certification of new aircraft, which will only further complicate and slow the delivery of all those aircraft.

Justifications aside, I have to say that I think the reactions from the investors would have been more positive had the HQ been moved back to Seattle. They need better integration and alignment between their top executives, and the leadership that best understand their true core product in commercial aircraft. It feels to me like their top brass are still hanging on to the some of the motivations that put them in Chicago in the first place, a desire to be disconnected (and not overwhelmed by) the engineering community in Seattle.

Boeing negotiates certification plans with the local FAA office in Seattle, not the FAA headquarters in DC.

FCOTSTW

Sat May 07, 2022 12:01 am

ScottB wrote:
Probably makes sense if the company views its future as being more closely tied to defense contracts than commercial aviation. There's also a bit of tax savings when they return to profitability since the corporate income tax rate in VA is lower than IL.

Correct. The subtitle of the WSJ says it all: "Aerospace giant’s move to Washington, D.C., area would bring senior executives closer to federal decision makers" one again reinforcing the concept that if you want government contracts, you must go to the government, as the government never comes to see you.

ORDfan

Sat May 07, 2022 12:16 am

LMP737 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Boeing said to be moving HQ from Chicago to DC area likely Arlington

Surprised it took such a short time to jump ship from Chicago.

- Want to be closer to decision makers in Washington

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/152 ... RVKOMvyDMQ
https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-pla ... os1&page=1

Boeing would move the HQ to hell if they thought it would give them influence with satan.

:biggrin: ^^ Best reply I've seen so far... truth!!

KarlB737

Sat May 07, 2022 12:18 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Boeing said to be moving HQ from Chicago to DC area likely Arlington. Want to be closer to decision makers in Washington......

Courtesy: Fox Business Channel
Boeing moves headquarters to Washington, DC, area from Chicago

"The Arlington, Virginia, headquarters, which will be focused on Boeing's defense, space and security division, will establish a research and technology hub to attract engineering talent and develop innovations in cybersecurity, autonomous operations, quantum sciences and software, and systems engineering."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/boeing-headquarters-arlington-virginia-chicago

ScottB

Sat May 07, 2022 12:43 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Lootess wrote:

(Getting off topic) But HP already have a large presence in Houston area that dates way back to its merger with Compaq. They're building the new campus bc their old campus (aka former Compaq campus) was damaged by flood during Harvey.

That's not quite accurate; HP had already sold off much of the former Compaq campus to a local community college system nearly a decade before Harvey. The new HPE campus (this is the HP successor company which moved to the Houston area) is maybe a 15 minute drive to IAH; that's a big advantage of the location.

Ertro wrote:
I guess "Proximity to restaurants" is a major problem in big US cities so that it needs to be raised as major criteria. Or is it?

I think it was relevant in the context of the HQ move from Puget Sound to Chicago; at the time, I imagine dining options in the Seattle suburbs were a bit limited if you wanted something nicer than the Olive Garden or Chili's. It's a reason you'd choose a HQ in an urban core rather than out in the suburbs. And there are going to be certain customers who care if you wine and dine them at a restaurant with a Michelin star or three.

LCDFlight

Sat May 07, 2022 2:47 am

Lootess wrote:

Arlington checks all those boxes today too, and can simply just add regulator presence to it.

The only factors that really matter are educated workforce, tax environment and proximity to the government. Arlington has a spectacular (at this point) workforce, including and particularly in Boeing’s most strategic areas. The tax environment is ok. Proximity to the government allows endless glad-handing, back-slapping, revolving door arrangements, special understandings, etc with an entity that emits trillions of dollars annually and floods earth and space with flying objects, much of it weaponized. Arlington wasn’t the easiest or cheapest option - it was the only option.

gunsontheroof

Sat May 07, 2022 3:50 am

ScottB wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Lootess wrote:

I think it was relevant in the context of the HQ move from Puget Sound to Chicago; at the time, I imagine dining options in the Seattle suburbs were a bit limited if you wanted something nicer than the Olive Garden or Chili's. It's a reason you'd choose a HQ in an urban core rather than out in the suburbs. And there are going to be certain customers who care if you wine and dine them at a restaurant with a Michelin star or three.

Not to nitpick too hard on what I think is a pretty minor point , but the Seattle HQ was across the street from BFI, not in suburban Seattle. Not exactly downtown, but I suppose that’s a reflection of a period when Boeing valued having management adjacent to core operations.

Noshow

Sat May 07, 2022 4:31 am

Does the leadership not feel that it has to move back closer to where the products are made? Boeing doesn't need more orders they need better execution.

A320FlyGuy

Sat May 07, 2022 4:36 am

Maybe they chose to move to VA to save on FedEx costs when shipping the political bribe money...they are in such desperate financial straits that every penny saved is a penny earned....

D L X

Sat May 07, 2022 7:11 am

IADCA wrote:
D L X wrote:
IADCA wrote:

This is rather an aside, but the Arlington taxpayers are on the hook a fair bit for the aquatic center as well, especially via ongoing operating funding. Place ain't cheap, and a lot of the whining is that the location is really inconvenient to the areas of the county that tend to fill the pools. I don't have a ton of sympathy there - land in Arlington isn't exactly easy to find - but it is a bit of a pain to get to. As for Boeing, that location made more sense pre-Amazon; I think if you asked the Board today, they'd prefer Boeing to have landed in Rosslyn or Ballston these days. Not that they'll turn this down.

As an Arlington taxpayer whose kids use that facility, I think we're doing alright. Them and HQ2 coming is really great for our taxbase, keeping our property taxes from going up.

Lootess

Sat May 07, 2022 8:17 am

Did people forget that US Airways HQ used to be in the Crystal City, Arlington, VA before moving out to Tempe?

ScottB wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Lootess wrote:

That's not quite accurate; HP had already sold off much of the former Compaq campus to a local community college system nearly a decade before Harvey. The new HPE campus (this is the HP successor company which moved to the Houston area) is maybe a 15 minute drive to IAH; that's a big advantage of the location.

Ertro wrote:

Renton is okay, it has some of its own higher end flavor like Bellevue. But still a bit of a drive to Downtown Seattle depending on time of day.

Boeing customers can just stay in Crystal City, and the executives can easily take them to Metro Center for fine dining.

Breathe

Sat May 07, 2022 12:59 pm

The forthcoming breakup of GE is probably the best thing for the company after 20 years of swaying from one major crisis to the next. Which makes you wonder if this is possibly the path for Boeing. This article in The Times speculates it might be a good idea:

https://archive.ph/T8WVg

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/has- ... -69gntbm8d - link to original paywall article.

It obviously wouldn't be something that would be fixed overnight, but perhaps the demerger of Boeing Defense, Space & Security (Washington DC based) and Boeing Commercial Airplanes (Seattle based) would over time help refocus both companies on their core products.

washingtonflyer

Sat May 07, 2022 1:19 pm

Corporate headquarters in the DC area (including NoVa and suburban Maryland):

Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics AND Lockheed Martin (mentioned in passing by one person).

Not to mention: CACI, SAIC, Amazon, Intelsat, Iridium, etc.

Rolls Royce NA is headquartered in Reston; Airbus NA is headquartered in Herndon.

The sturm and drang from posters in this thread is breathtaking. There is absolutely no reason for Boeing to NOT join the club. Indeed, one could reasonably ask - what took you so long?

Boeing had about 500 workers in a 285,000 square foot building on 12 or 13 floors of a leased building on the Chicago waterfront. Thats a tremendous amount of leased space for 500 workers. Boeing has a purpose built space in Arlington that can easily accommodate the corporate workforce. Lets also remember that post COVID most corporate HQ staff do not work in-office 5 days a week. You simply do not need 285,000 square feet 1) for 500 workers pre-COVID, or 2) for 500 wokers post-COVID.
Last edited by washingtonflyer on Sat May 07, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos