Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MohawkWeekend
Topic Author

Airline Satisfaction Survey

Wed May 11, 2022 11:54 am

I'm having a hard time believing the rankings but interesting read.
Traveler satisfaction is down as planes fill up and airfare rises, survey finds
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/11/air-tra ... ction.html

910A

Re: Airline Satisfaction Survey

Wed May 11, 2022 1:06 pm

I too have a hard time believing the rankings. Alaska has the second best first class, I don't think so. jetBlue the best airline in North America? I guess it comes down to which passengers were surveyed.

Cory6188

Wed May 11, 2022 3:09 pm

For B6, if your flight operates on time (or at all), then it's a great experience. They've really struggled through on the operational front - I'm surprised this isn't coming through in the numbers.

MIflyer12

Wed May 11, 2022 3:27 pm

910A wrote:
I guess it comes down to which passengers were surveyed.

So you don't think 7,000 passengers presents a good data set? Come on... J.D. Power has been doing consumer surveys for fifty years, and North American airlines since 1999, IIRC. They know good survey methodology.

USAirALB

Wed May 11, 2022 3:48 pm

What constitutes as North America for J.D. Power? Geographically speaking, technically AM and CM are also North American carriers and I would have thought they would have been ranked as well.

I know in Canada and other countries in the Anglo-sphere (outside the US), it's common for the term "North America" to only include the US and Canada, so maybe that's what J.D. Power did.

In CNN's article on the rankings, they erroneously refer to both AC and WS as an "US airline".

Kno

Wed May 11, 2022 3:57 pm

I don’t think this survey reflects reality at all

AtlasRise

Wed May 11, 2022 4:07 pm

Interpreting the results is simple. It's based on expectations. B6 has the highest ranked F/J class because their customers generally expect less from an LCC. Meanwhile, DL premium customers, for example, expect more from a legacy carrier and will score them more strictly. Maybe JD power should include an "expectations ranking" so to speak.

MohawkWeekend
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2022 5:00 pm

Expectations must be why Allegiant scored higher than United, American, Alaska and Air Canada for economy passengers

lostsound

Wed May 11, 2022 6:08 pm

I find most the of the B6 bashing is localized to these forums. I've never had a single bad experience with them personally and I fly them several times a year. An hour/2hr delay doesn't mean anything to me after flying AC domestically through Canada in the winter all my life... The general public/pop culture still has a favorable view of B6, especially product wise. They deff have operational challenges they need to get a strong hold on but the hard product in both economy and business are absolutely the best products in the US market and for a decent value compared to the majors with similar products. (at least before the rise in fuel prices...) I don't think the rankings look too out of order given the consistency of WNs operations, low fares and everyone knows what to expect in their bare-ish bones cabins (which are still much more comfortable than Sprit and Frontier's) I see easily how the public would rank it at the top. The poor ranking for WS is inline with my last experience with them a few months ago. :stirthepot:

ElPistolero

Thu May 12, 2022 12:43 am

AtlasRise wrote:
Interpreting the results is simple. It's based on expectations. B6 has the highest ranked F/J class because their customers generally expect less from an LCC. Meanwhile, DL premium customers, for example, expect more from a legacy carrier and will score them more strictly. Maybe JD power should include an "expectations ranking" so to speak.

They’ve differentiated between LCCs and legacies in the past - see here: (https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study)

“Expectations” are based on price/value-for-money. While Allegiant may not have an objectively superior economy/basic economy hard product to WS (they’re probably very similar) the latter is paired with AC-level prices, not Allegiant prices. Consequently, despite having very similar products, one ends up “above average” and the other ends up rock bottom.

It’s largely down to the price paid for the product - a glass of lemonade at 50c is inevitably perceived more positively a better deal than the same glass of lemonade at $5.

880dc8707

Thu May 12, 2022 2:18 am

I havn't been flying much since covid. I do not find it hard to believe, flew AA first class PHL-SEA was worst flight, I.ve had better coach service often.

usdcaguy

Thu May 12, 2022 2:39 pm

lostsound wrote:
I find most the of the B6 bashing is localized to these forums. I've never had a single bad experience with them personally and I fly them several times a year. An hour/2hr delay doesn't mean anything to me after flying AC domestically through Canada in the winter all my life... The general public/pop culture still has a favorable view of B6, especially product wise. They deff have operational challenges they need to get a strong hold on but the hard product in both economy and business are absolutely the best products in the US market and for a decent value compared to the majors with similar products. (at least before the rise in fuel prices...) I don't think the rankings look too out of order given the consistency of WNs operations, low fares and everyone knows what to expect in their bare-ish bones cabins (which are still much more comfortable than Sprit and Frontier's) I see easily how the public would rank it at the top. The poor ranking for WS is inline with my last experience with them a few months ago. :stirthepot:

The only things I like about B6 are their IFE and snack selection. That sounds like a lot, but B6 has proven time and again that they cannot get me to my destination on time or at all. I much prefer flying WN, who will get me to my destination on time at least 40% of the time and rarely cancels. I also appreciate their flexible fare rules, free bags and open seating policy. The others have staff full of negativity and incredibly arcane rules around basic economy. WN is not a saint as their fares are often through the roof, but at least you don’t have to play games with them.

floridaflyboy

Thu May 12, 2022 2:58 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
lostsound wrote:

The only things I like about B6 are their IFE and snack selection. That sounds like a lot, but B6 has proven time and again that they cannot get me to my destination on time or at all. I much prefer flying WN, who will get me to my destination on time at least 40% of the time and rarely cancels. I also appreciate their flexible fare rules, free bags and open seating policy. The others have staff full of negativity and incredibly arcane rules around basic economy. WN is not a saint as their fares are often through the roof, but at least you don’t have to play games with them.

I actually think the both of you, combining your posts, hit the nail on the head. There's a reason WN and B6 are at the top. Different people value different things when traveling and these carriers provide options and flexibility and in JetBlue's case (IMO) a genuinely superior coach product versus the legacies all at a decent price (operational problems aside, which are extremely frustrating). For folks who check bags, WN obviously has incredible value. For others (like myself) who travel as lean as humanly possible, bags aren't much of an issue and I'm more interested in onboard product. I think what's notable to me is how low both AA and UA ranked in both categories. Again, purely my opinion, but I do think that the legacy product in the US has gotten incredibly stale and they'd be smart to get a little more creative in defining both perceived and actual value to their customers.

jetwet1

Thu May 12, 2022 4:28 pm

AtlasRise wrote:

Sorry but no. Mint is a far better product than DL/AA/UA first and is IMHO on par with the premium trans con offering.

After the last two years of service cuts up front, I generally expect very little from the legacy carriers.

AtlasRise

Fri May 13, 2022 2:08 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
AtlasRise wrote:

Sorry but no. Mint is a far better product than DL/AA/UA first and is IMHO on par with the premium trans con offering.

After the last two years of service cuts up front, I generally expect very little from the legacy carriers.

That's great that you have your opinion but I said "customers generally" meaning customers generally, not all including anet subscribers (eye roll)

dannynoble

Fri May 13, 2022 3:46 pm

i can not afford 1st or business so i can not comment on that. i fly main cabin (none of the basic economy nonsense) and i find Southwest/Delta/and Alaska (skywest e75) to be very comfortable in economy. let me tell you a little about my life. i am 50 yrs ol. i am 6ft 6 300 lbs and i do not live in a van by the river. LOL.

seriously as a big guy (i do not need seat belt extenders i am not that big) i try to stay on AS, DL, WN every chance i get cause i know i fit fine and i know my bags will arrive on time 99% of the time. it is hard for me when i go to Europe as they do not have economy set for tall people. i will be on the inaugural flight on UA between EWR and TFS. so i will see how UA is.. if they have 31 in pitch in economy i will be good and then i hope the route lasts year after year it would make getting to Tenerife much easier.

gonnagetbumpy

Fri May 13, 2022 3:47 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
AtlasRise wrote:

Evaluating AA/DL/UA domestic first to B6 Mint is a very poor comparison. A level evaluation would come from the transcon products of all airlines (which B6 does offer a solid product even comparing like for like products).

proudpilot94

Fri May 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Thought United was going to score higher. Honestly, IMHO United is up there with Delta and Alaska.

Ziyulu

Fri May 13, 2022 4:18 pm

I flew with Alaska and they did not provide any snacks. It's sad that it ranked so high.

jetwet1

Fri May 13, 2022 4:38 pm

gonnagetbumpy wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
AtlasRise wrote:

Evaluating AA/DL/UA domestic first to B6 Mint is a very poor comparison. A level evaluation would come from the transcon products of all airlines (which B6 does offer a solid product even comparing like for like products).

Why, B6 offers it from various airports, not just on trans con routes, it caused AA/DL/UA to step up their game out of Vegas (my home airport) by offering at least one flight a day with beds, though that was pre covid (no soda up front years for DL). And heck, my customers asked that we switch the comp flights from DL to B6, that's the telling part to me. Is B6 perfect, far from it, but I have 70 pax a week flying NYC-LAS who could ask for any airline and they are solidly taking B6 mint.

But, as rightly pointed out, we all have choices which is a good thing.

MohawkWeekend
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2022 4:49 pm

Haven't flown a ULCC but UA 737 coach seats are torture. (5'8", 185 lbs) Only seat worse imo is a window seat on CRJ with someone in the other seat. The tumblehome of the fuselage makes it a killer.

ozark1

Fri May 13, 2022 4:56 pm

Why is Air Canada even on the list?

Vicenza

Fri May 13, 2022 5:20 pm

910A wrote:
I too have a hard time believing the rankings. Alaska has the second best first class, I don't think so. jetBlue the best airline in North America? I guess it comes down to which passengers were surveyed.

No, it comes down to perception and personal experience by a lot of people. Because you (or anyone) does not like something, or have a different opinion, does not make others wrong. All things of this nature are entirely subjective.

Vicenza

Fri May 13, 2022 5:22 pm

ozark1 wrote:
Why is Air Canada even on the list?

Because it is a major North American airline, and which is the market the survey relates to.

AtlasRise

Fri May 13, 2022 6:31 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
gonnagetbumpy wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Why, B6 offers it from various airports, not just on trans con routes, it caused AA/DL/UA to step up their game out of Vegas (my home airport) by offering at least one flight a day with beds, though that was pre covid (no soda up front years for DL). And heck, my customers asked that we switch the comp flights from DL to B6, that's the telling part to me. Is B6 perfect, far from it, but I have 70 pax a week flying NYC-LAS who could ask for any airline and they are solidly taking B6 mint.

In the context of the topic discussion, comparing B6 mint to legacy F/J class is a poor comparison because of the availability component. The majority of B6 aircraft are not configured with mint class and mint is available only on select routes. Meanwhile, almost all of the legacy carriers' aircraft are configured with F/J including medium and large RJs.

IceCream

Fri May 13, 2022 10:29 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
AtlasRise wrote:

They’ve differentiated between LCCs and legacies in the past - see here: (https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study)

“Expectations” are based on price/value-for-money. While Allegiant may not have an objectively superior economy/basic economy hard product to WS (they’re probably very similar) the latter is paired with AC-level prices, not Allegiant prices. Consequently, despite having very similar products, one ends up “above average” and the other ends up rock bottom.

It’s largely down to the price paid for the product - a glass of lemonade at 50c is inevitably perceived more positively a better deal than the same glass of lemonade at $5.

Allegiant and Westjet definitely do not have very similar products. I have no idea where you're getting that from...

tlecam

Fri May 13, 2022 10:53 pm

AtlasRise wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
gonnagetbumpy wrote:

In the context of the topic discussion, comparing B6 mint to legacy F/J class is a poor comparison because of the availability component. The majority of B6 aircraft are not configured with mint class and mint is available only on select routes. Meanwhile, almost all of the legacy carriers' aircraft are configured with F/J including medium and large RJs.

The other piece that’s missed is that at least in the markets I’ve flown (BOS and JFK to SFO/SEA and occasionally LAX), AA (from NYC) and DL fly planes with int’l business seats. Lay flats, service similar to int’l flights etc…. I’ve done the red eye home from SFO and arrived refreshed after 5 hours in a lay flat.AA may have lay flats from BOS as well, I do not fly them often so not sure.

I like B6 a lot but due to operational issues, I really only use them for leisure when they fly direct to someplace DL does not. That’s a lot of places from Boston, especially smaller cities.

d8s

Sat May 14, 2022 5:22 am

910A wrote:

I flew both AS and DL first class last week and there is no comparison. DL’s product was far superior than AS.

ElPistolero

Sat May 14, 2022 11:14 am

IceCream wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
AtlasRise wrote:

Allegiant and Westjet definitely do not have very similar products. I have no idea where you're getting that from...

The differences between LCCs and ULCCs are largely on the cost-to-airline front, not the customer-facing front. To the extent that they’re on the customer-facing front, they’re too minute to be offset by the identical ULCC seating configuration - they’re both crammed in at 30” - which is the main touch point for both of their clients (physical comfort being a long-standing element of the human experience with any product), and endless nickel-and-diming for Y/basic Y pax.

While WS may be adding a premium product up front, that has no bearing on the back (which makes up the vast majority of its client base). This, in turn, is reflected in the survey.

frmrCapCadet

Sat May 14, 2022 2:58 pm

In the olden day on this site, people would complain about this or that. The insiders would tell us to shut up, only duty of airline is to get you from point A to point B, admittedly somewhat in a timely manner. Now we know that we shouldn't complain, and that getting at all from point A to point B is also an unreasonable expectation. As my kid told me, don't complain about bad experiences to a corporation - they already know how bad they are. I suspect that when possible flying on an airline with ratings on the top half greatly reduces the chances of really bad experiences. I've gone from an occasional flyer to a 'rarely' flyer. Vacations have been a lot more enjoyable. And last flight was with Delta - it was great.

IceCream

Sat May 14, 2022 4:23 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
IceCream wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:

The differences between LCCs and ULCCs are largely on the cost-to-airline front, not the customer-facing front. To the extent that they’re on the customer-facing front, they’re too minute to be offset by the identical ULCC seating configuration - they’re both crammed in at 30” - which is the main touch point for both of their clients (physical comfort being a long-standing element of the human experience with any product), and endless nickel-and-diming for Y/basic Y pax.

While WS may be adding a premium product up front, that has no bearing on the back (which makes up the vast majority of its client base). This, in turn, is reflected in the survey.

Compared to AC, WS economy seat Pitch is roughly the same (and this doesn't take into account Rouge which is booked through the main Air Canada website, with its flights not being cheaper than other AC flights even though the seat pitch is lower).

ElPistolero

Sat May 14, 2022 4:43 pm

IceCream wrote:
Compared to AC, WS economy seat Pitch is roughly the same (and this doesn't take into account Rouge which is booked through the main Air Canada website, with its flights not being cheaper than other AC flights even though the seat pitch is lower).

Which explains why AC has traditionally fared very poorly on these customer satisfaction ratings. I don’t think it’s consistently been below average for the last 6 years (even on long haul).

AC even got lumped in the “the rest” category in 2019 for TATL; the only other carrier ranked that low was Norwegian (DY), a ULCC.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

IceCream

Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
IceCream wrote:

Which explains why AC has traditionally fared very poorly on these customer satisfaction ratings. I don’t think it’s consistently been below average for the last 6 years (even on long haul).

AC even got lumped in the “the rest” category in 2019 for TATL; the only other carrier ranked that low was Norwegian (DY), a ULCC.

So it seems like an AC/WS problem that Flair/Lynx are trying to capitalize on then. Interesting, we'll see if they're successful!

ElPistolero

Sat May 14, 2022 7:19 pm

IceCream wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
IceCream wrote:

So it seems like an AC/WS problem that Flair/Lynx are trying to capitalize on then. Interesting, we'll see if they're successful!

Well yes, that’s been a big part of F8’s media campaign - that Canadian prices are way too high given the quality of the products.

“We are absolutely focused on rescuing Canadians from the bloated prices they have long suffered in flying”
https://media.flyflair.com/flair-airlin ... mmer-2022/

The survey results correspond with that. To the extent that there’s a difference, AC has a functioning FFP that probably helps inflate its JD Powers scores somewhat, while WS doesn’t. That also makes WS an easier carrier to pry pax off.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos