Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
mercure1
Topic Author
Posts: 5627
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 1:09 am

Possible runway excursion, a Tibet Airlines A319 on fire with passengers fleeing.

Video
https://twitter.com/i/status/1524556644222660609
 
zuckie13
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 1:37 am

Not on it's wheels. Belly landing for whatever reason or excursion that removed the gear maybe?
 
User avatar
LAXdenizen
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 1:39 am

What's going on with the evac?!?! I only see one door open and slide extended on the right side in the rear of the aircraft. People look like they are emerging from the left side of the plane just ahead of the flames.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3730
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 1:40 am

Pretty sure this happened on takeoff, very interested to hear how this happened. You would think this was a landing incident on first glance.
 
Aurantiaco
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 1:57 am

Yoinks. That looks like a write off.

Hope everyone is alright.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 2:03 am

Reportedly the aircraft rejected the takeoff at a very high speed. All 113 pax and crew evacuated as of now.

Image

https://twitter.com/search?q=Tibet%20Ai ... ery&f=live
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 3122
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 2:13 am

asuflyer wrote:
Reportedly the aircraft rejected the takeoff at a very high speed. All 113 pax and crew evacuated as of now.

Image

https://twitter.com/search?q=Tibet%20Ai ... ery&f=live


Very crispy A319!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15612
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 2:19 am

That'll buff right out !
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 12467
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 3:20 am

Here’s a better photo of the damage

Image

https://twitter.com/chinaavreview/statu ... LwLgIDWyvg
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3730
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 am

Some serious damage to the upper fuselage, quite the RTO.
 
whiplash
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 3:36 am

Time to pull out the spit and shine
 
Spetsnaz55
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 3:51 am

Glad everyone survived. Must have been some G's to split the rear fuesalage like that
 
User avatar
AirlineCritic
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 4:47 am

The rear fuselage holes and split are interesting. How did that happen, even on a high speed excursion?
 
Halophila
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:44 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 4:50 am

Thats quite a lot of speed tape
 
User avatar
a36001
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 5:26 am

ummm where are the engines?
 
holczakker
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 5:47 am

AirlineCritic wrote:
The rear fuselage holes and split are interesting. How did that happen, even on a high speed excursion?

I guess they ran through an embankment or bumped through a lower level area with high speed. That's why they (seemengly) lost both engines somehwhere too. Per the satellite pictures there are 16 taxiways (and/or service roads) to the left of this runway. They might have ran through at least 3-4 of those.
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 6:29 am

It is actually amazing how intact that aircraft still is for the fact that it lost the gears and engines and then slid on for some more. These A320 are very sturdy. Something serious must have happened in the rear section because the hole underneath the crack looks like it was blown out. Also the hole underneath the rear door.

Something still holds the fuselage together though, the tail never dipped down even though there is a crack that seems to go around the upper fuselage.

This could have caused serious harm (even deaths) if it would have broken appart at higher speeds. because the seats in the tail would have been rolling instead of sliding and right where it would have broken they could have been ejected.
 
MaksFly
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:50 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 6:38 am

Actually surprised a.net is behind the news versus other news sites.

From reports so far the aircraft rejected takeoff due to an "abnormality".... it caught on fire after losing an engine in an embankment.
 
seb76
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 6:47 am

It looks like the fire brigade did a good job at putting out that fire. When you see the flames on the video, you expect that the outcome would be a completely burned plane with just a (tipped) tail remaining.
 
SEAorPWM
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 7:06 am

FluidFlow wrote:
It is actually amazing how intact that aircraft still is for the fact that it lost the gears and engines and then slid on for some more. These A320 are very sturdy. Something serious must have happened in the rear section because the hole underneath the crack looks like it was blown out. Also the hole underneath the rear door.

Something still holds the fuselage together though, the tail never dipped down even though there is a crack that seems to go around the upper fuselage.

This could have caused serious harm (even deaths) if it would have broken appart at higher speeds. because the seats in the tail would have been rolling instead of sliding and right where it would have broken they could have been ejected.


Makes me wonder if a longer fuselage like an A321 would have behaved similarly. That DHL 752 from 1999 fell apart while it was going rather slow.
 
User avatar
JerseyFlyer
Posts: 2080
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 7:59 am

The 'abnormality' must have been a very significant one for the pilot to deliberately abort at high speed, or so significant that he or she had no option.
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 8:05 am

SEAorPWM wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:
It is actually amazing how intact that aircraft still is for the fact that it lost the gears and engines and then slid on for some more. These A320 are very sturdy. Something serious must have happened in the rear section because the hole underneath the crack looks like it was blown out. Also the hole underneath the rear door.

Something still holds the fuselage together though, the tail never dipped down even though there is a crack that seems to go around the upper fuselage.

This could have caused serious harm (even deaths) if it would have broken appart at higher speeds. because the seats in the tail would have been rolling instead of sliding and right where it would have broken they could have been ejected.


Makes me wonder if a longer fuselage like an A321 would have behaved similarly. That DHL 752 from 1999 fell apart while it was going rather slow.


Hard to say, probably? The damage before the crack looks like pressure was applied, hence the dent. Extension would not have dented it like that. This would mean that the Tail hit something and there was Force applied upwards, shortening the upper fuselage. On an A321 that would have been even more pronounced due to the longer moment arm, but as long as the floor is able to take the hit the cabin should stay intact.

Its hard to say why the DHL one did crumble, but if there were extensional forces on the floow + heavy cargo on it, it might break easier.
 
KingOrGod
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 8:07 am

Guess they can skip the part of the checklist where they mention shutting down the engines...
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 8:34 am

KingOrGod wrote:
Guess they can skip the part of the checklist where they mention shutting down the engines...


Are the engines out? No they are off!
 
trnswrld
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat May 22, 1999 2:19 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 12:06 pm

Ouffff, that must have been a rough experience. To be on an aircraft that had both engines and gear ripped off, rear section of fuselage cracked and crumbled, then to top it off throw some fire in there.
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 12:10 pm

Surprised to see the left overwing exit & slides used. I presume then the fire had not started yet when the evacuation occurred?
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 12:22 pm

AirlineCritic wrote:
The rear fuselage holes and split are interesting. How did that happen, even on a high speed excursion?

The side damage to the rear fuselage appear to have been done by the main gear: it look somewhat circular with some black marks, must have been the tire.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 12:25 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
KingOrGod wrote:
Guess they can skip the part of the checklist where they mention shutting down the engines...


Are the engines out? No they are off!

FO: Captain, we lost the engines.
Captain: Try restarting procedure.
FO: Ain't gonna work, they are a few hundred feet behind us.

OK, I'll see myself out.
 
santi319
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 1:26 pm

These Airbuses are rock solid!
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5464
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 1:39 pm

It is always interesting reading a post mortum on the evacuations: what went right (about everything in this case), but also what went wrong. The later because it can be instructive for crew training throughout the aviation world.
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 2:01 pm

Would/could the landing gear have ruptured the fuel tanks and into the cabin? That is always a (ridiculous and irrational) fear of mine from a hard landing.
 
IADCA
Posts: 2596
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 2:13 pm

Something's actually gone pretty right for an airplane with presumably a fair bit of fuel on board to have a high-enough speed excursion and impact that it ripped off the gears and engines and yet have (relatively) little fire and no deaths.
 
ukoverlander
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 4:05 pm

Aesma wrote:
That'll buff right out !


....said nobody before ever in the world when a plane experienced damage.
 
Avatar2go
Posts: 1009
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:41 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 4:21 pm

Looks like the aircraft spun and departed the runway at a fairly sharp angle. Then dropped down into the drainage depression and stripped off engines and landing gear, resulting in a belly slide for some distance. Fuselage cracked in the rear but did not separate. Fuel spill and fire likely from damage to the center tank.
 
User avatar
Erau82
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 4:22 pm

The landing gear is built with fuse points that are designed to fail at a given high load and prevent the landing gear from puncturing upward/forward into a fuel tank. Normally, they are to fail aft and lodge into the flaps which prevents the puncturing of the fuselage behind the wing.
 
accentra
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:35 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 5:40 pm

The quick actions of the fire service looks to have saved the day here. With a left overwing exit open, plus the forward left main door, and fire raging around the left wing, things could have gone badly in the cabin. Can only guess they started the evac on the left side before they realised it was on fire there. But that doesn't completely tally with some eye witness reports. Guess it's also possible the pax opened doors/emergency exits on the left side, not the crew. Remain shocked though that people continue to evacuate burning airliners with their carry ons. It's absolute madness.
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 5:49 pm

Glad everyone survived.
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4868
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 6:54 pm

Anyone else thinking of the DHL 757 a few weeks ago? I suspect they went off the runway and hit an embankment, shearing off the gears and engines. Regardless, thankful everyone is okay!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 13017
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 7:18 pm

ukoverlander wrote:
Aesma wrote:
That'll buff right out !


....said nobody before ever in the world when a plane experienced damage.


oh com'on, thjat's the running gag here. So kudos Aesma! It needed to be done :lol:
 
a2b7
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 8:06 pm

accentra wrote:
The quick actions of the fire service looks to have saved the day here. With a left overwing exit open, plus the forward left main door, and fire raging around the left wing, things could have gone badly in the cabin. Can only guess they started the evac on the left side before they realised it was on fire there. But that doesn't completely tally with some eye witness reports. Guess it's also possible the pax opened doors/emergency exits on the left side, not the crew. Remain shocked though that people continue to evacuate burning airliners with their carry ons. It's absolute madness.

Note that there are some videos for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrV3ZjBltlA where I get the impression that the fire only started raging when the evacuation over the left overwing exit was already ongoing
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3730
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 8:51 pm

Looks like the evac slide might have caught fire
 
accentra
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:35 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 pm

a2b7 wrote:
accentra wrote:
The quick actions of the fire service looks to have saved the day here. With a left overwing exit open, plus the forward left main door, and fire raging around the left wing, things could have gone badly in the cabin. Can only guess they started the evac on the left side before they realised it was on fire there. But that doesn't completely tally with some eye witness reports. Guess it's also possible the pax opened doors/emergency exits on the left side, not the crew. Remain shocked though that people continue to evacuate burning airliners with their carry ons. It's absolute madness.

Note that there are some videos for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrV3ZjBltlA where I get the impression that the fire only started raging when the evacuation over the left overwing exit was already ongoing


Yes, could well be. Could imagine it might not be easy or indeed possible, but I wonder whether there'd be any possibility of shutting opened exits on the side of the aircraft on fire? Could buy extra time for those in the cabin.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 11:42 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
Looks like the evac slide might have caught fire

Indeed.
And it's weird cause the fabric is supposed to be flame-retardant (or flame-resistant, not sure).
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3730
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Thu May 12, 2022 11:49 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Looks like the evac slide might have caught fire

Indeed.
And it's weird cause the fabric is supposed to be flame-retardant (or flame-resistant, not sure).


That's what I thought as well, maybe grass or something else caught fire and the combination of heat/fire made that null and void? Interesting nonetheless.
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 959
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Fri May 13, 2022 3:53 am

accentra wrote:
The quick actions of the fire service looks to have saved the day here. With a left overwing exit open, plus the forward left main door, and fire raging around the left wing, things could have gone badly in the cabin. Can only guess they started the evac on the left side before they realised it was on fire there. But that doesn't completely tally with some eye witness reports. Guess it's also possible the pax opened doors/emergency exits on the left side, not the crew. Remain shocked though that people continue to evacuate burning airliners with their carry ons. It's absolute madness.


http://news.cnhubei.com/content/2022-05/13/content_14743887.html

Based on a passenger's representation (who was sitting near the L1 and was the 2nd person escaped via L1),
the door was opened by the FA and when he hit the ground, oil was already leaking and fire was presented.

ikolkyo wrote:
Looks like the evac slide might have caught fire

yes
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Fri May 13, 2022 5:55 am

accentra wrote:
Remain shocked though that people continue to evacuate burning airliners with their carry ons. It's absolute madness.

No matter how many times the crew orders "in the unlikely event of an evacuation leave all luggage behind", people will still try to save their belongings. It's completely normal human behaviour.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3730
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Mon May 30, 2022 11:06 am

Any updates?
 
pugman211
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Tibet Airlines A319 on fire at Chongqing

Mon May 30, 2022 5:26 pm

I haven't seen any on here nor other sources.

I'd love to know what happened though because that it quite an incident

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos