Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fastmover

Re: JetBlue Makes Hostile Takeover Offer for Spirit

Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:05 pm

ChrisPBacon wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
B6 can very easily operate NK as a ULCC subsidiary (if the economy proves tough in the short-term), which would also allow it to strike at Frontier at its own game, if necessary, then just gradually fold it/retro-fit into B6 as appropriate markets get introduced as "New" jetBlue service.

No they cannot. This has been addressed multiple times here. The B6 pilot labor agreement alone won't allow anything but one brand, one senioirity list.

Correct. I wish people would remember this. To lose the merger they must have to joint contract between the pilots. Also JetBlue can’t operate a subsidiary airline again the pilot contract won’t allow it

santi319

Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:26 pm

fastmover wrote:
Correct. I wish people would remember this. To lose the merger they must have to joint contract between the pilots. Also JetBlue can’t operate a subsidiary airline again the pilot contract won’t allow it

Actually both pilots and FA have the same clause, a joint contract must be made within 6 months of a merger or acquisition.

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:55 pm

fastmover wrote:
tlecam wrote:
fastmover wrote:

But you think the JetBlue CEO and board are crazy enough to risk everything? I know you and I disagree but you don’t work at JetBlue.

I’m not a huge fan of management and some of the stuff they pull but I would bet my life they know exactly what they are doing and what they want from it. Obviously they have lined up financing so they were able to sell big banks on it as well.

We will see how it turns out but I do know everytime people say JetBlue can’t do this or that, they tend to defy the odds.

Maybe you will be right but I don’t think so.

Because B6 is lining up financing isn’t an indication of anything positive or negative about how the banks feel about the deal. The banks will evaluate the deal, its risks and will put forth terms and conditions that it’s comfortable with.

Yes and if it was a massive risk or they thought it wouldn’t work I’m sure the terms would not work for the deal.

We have no idea what the terms of the loans are, or what terms B6 would be comfortable with in order to consummate a deal. So this is pure speculation.

fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
B6 can very easily operate NK as a ULCC subsidiary (if the economy proves tough in the short-term), which would also allow it to strike at Frontier at its own game, if necessary, then just gradually fold it/retro-fit into B6 as appropriate markets get introduced as "New" jetBlue service.

No they can not "very easily" do that. The labor side alone would be a dumpster fire waiting to happen.....

Yes, some of the NK fleet will need to continue operating as NK, until the reconfiguration is complete (as with other mergers), but B6 has made it clear they do not want to operate NK as a subsidiary.

fastmover wrote:

But you think the JetBlue CEO and board are crazy enough to risk everything? I know you and I disagree but you don’t work at JetBlue.

I’m not a huge fan of management and some of the stuff they pull but I would bet my life they know exactly what they are doing and what they want from it. Obviously they have lined up financing so they were able to sell big banks on it as well.

We will see how it turns out but I do know everytime people say JetBlue can’t do this or that, they tend to defy the odds.

Maybe you will be right but I don’t think so.

What has B6 done in recent years that has "defied the odds?" As touched on earlier they've tried to pull off multiple expansion efforts in places outside of the Northeast and Florida and they have all largely failed.

Also, that's not how financing works.

We have no idea the terms the banks have offered B6 for these loans, which would determine how risky they believe the project is. Banks providing financing does not mean what it sounds like you think it means. For example, very distressed companies receive financing all the time(Not saying B6 is at all a very distressed company), but at very unfavorable terms.

So you think GS is just going to be like here is a bunch of money good luck? No

Mint and London/slots were two things on here and many “analysts” said no no no yet here we are with a very successful mint product that other airlines had to change to complete with and saved JetBlue transcon. Also JetBlue is now sitting here with permanent at heathrow.

Look it could be a total flop but again respectfully you don’t work at the company and what you actually see here is something that is very frustrating to employees. When JetBlue actually wants to do something they can, but many times they just accept “good enough” which is how we end up in an operational mess. That is a mentality that must change.

I’m am just telling you that after 10 years here the current elt would never ever stick their neck out this far unless they knew it would work. Heck not long ago many on here said JetBlue wouldn’t win this no chance yet here we are.

As for expansion yeah the RDU thing didn’t quite work but most of it was done during covid as an experiment. Currently with the NEA every airplane is spoken for and busy, hence buying spirit they need the planes and the staff to expand.

Like I said we will see but it’s certainly not doomed to failure.

I said in recent years.....Mint was introduced almost 10 years ago and B6 has only been around for just over 20 years.

A Northeast based carrier adding a couple JFK/BOS-LON flights is not "defying the odds." It's a move that analysts expected for a long time.

Counting RDU, SFO, PHL, e.t.c. as experiments is fine, but when they fail you can't just say those "experiments" didn't matter. Those competitive challenges they faced growing in these US3 markets are going to be the same if not worse in a post-covid environment.
Last edited by Midwestindy on Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B6twufa

Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:01 pm

santi319 wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Actually both pilots and FA have the same clause, a joint contract must be made within 6 months of a merger or acquisition.

Actually, that's not what the CBA says. 3.E.4 says 12 months.

JoseSalazar

Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:06 pm

santi319 wrote:
fastmover wrote:

I haven’t seen anything about a 6 month limit for the pilots. What then, forced arbitration?

USAirKid

Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 pm

ChrisPBacon wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

No they cannot. This has been addressed multiple times here. The B6 pilot labor agreement alone won't allow anything but one brand, one senioirity list.

I believe the contract language was posted earlier, and while it requires one seniority list and one contract, it doesn't say anything about multiple brands. (We go bogged down if an "alter ego" is a brand, but I'd argue an "alter ego" is a completely separate puppet airline controlled by a different airline.)

If/when this merger happens I expect the Spirit brand to be operated by JetBlue for 12-24 months. The onboard products are different enough that it behooves them to have a Southwest/Airtran style merger. (Southwest operated Airtran as its own carrier because the products were so different. They moved 3 or 4 737s a month into the WN operation, while moving the 717s to DL, properly adjusting the schedules as airplanes moved between brands.)

If JetBlue doesn't execute the merger in this way, they're going to make people expecting the JetBlue product very unhappy, the folks expecting the Spirit product pleasantly surprised, and confirm that management is not competent to run the place. Recall the complaints that happened a while ago when ad to take E190s out of service for maintenance, to keep the flights they were instead operated by another operator's house E145s. People howled that they didn't get the JetBlue product, and that was only a few lines of flying, not the whole operation.

B6FLL954

Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:34 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:
tlecam wrote:

Because B6 is lining up financing isn’t an indication of anything positive or negative about how the banks feel about the deal. The banks will evaluate the deal, its risks and will put forth terms and conditions that it’s comfortable with.

Yes and if it was a massive risk or they thought it wouldn’t work I’m sure the terms would not work for the deal.

We have no idea what the terms of the loans are, or what terms B6 would be comfortable with in order to consummate a deal. So this is pure speculation.

fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

No they can not "very easily" do that. The labor side alone would be a dumpster fire waiting to happen.....

Yes, some of the NK fleet will need to continue operating as NK, until the reconfiguration is complete (as with other mergers), but B6 has made it clear they do not want to operate NK as a subsidiary.

What has B6 done in recent years that has "defied the odds?" As touched on earlier they've tried to pull off multiple expansion efforts in places outside of the Northeast and Florida and they have all largely failed.

We have no idea the terms the banks have offered B6 for these loans, which would determine how risky they believe the project is. Banks providing financing does not mean what it sounds like you think it means. For example, very distressed companies receive financing all the time(Not saying B6 is at all a very distressed company), but at very unfavorable terms.

Mint and London/slots were two things on here and many “analysts” said no no no yet here we are with a very successful mint product that other airlines had to change to complete with and saved JetBlue transcon. Also JetBlue is now sitting here with permanent at heathrow.

Look it could be a total flop but again respectfully you don’t work at the company and what you actually see here is something that is very frustrating to employees. When JetBlue actually wants to do something they can, but many times they just accept “good enough” which is how we end up in an operational mess. That is a mentality that must change.

I’m am just telling you that after 10 years here the current elt would never ever stick their neck out this far unless they knew it would work. Heck not long ago many on here said JetBlue wouldn’t win this no chance yet here we are.

As for expansion yeah the RDU thing didn’t quite work but most of it was done during covid as an experiment. Currently with the NEA every airplane is spoken for and busy, hence buying spirit they need the planes and the staff to expand.

I said in recent years.....Mint was introduced almost 10 years ago and B6 has only been around for just over 20 years.

A Northeast based carrier adding a couple JFK/BOS-LON flights is not "defying the odds." It's a move that analysts expected for a long time.

Counting RDU, SFO, PHL, e.t.c. as experiments is fine, but when they fail you can't just say those "experiments" didn't matter. Those competitive challenges they faced growing in these US3 markets are going to be the same if not worse in a post-covid environment.

All the more reason smaller carriers like B6 should be allowed to merge. The Big 3 + WN have a dominant position in the US aviation market and nearly unlimited resources to compete. Delta for instance, with nearly 900 airplanes has put an all out blitz on BOS and SEA without even breaking a sweat. DL and UA dominate the New York market, but an AA/B6 regional partnership is the problem?

A JetBlue/Spirit combination creates a broader network, allowing B6 to better compete and play some offense finally with an expanded fleet. Not overpaying for VX was understandable, but it would be a mistake for B6 to sit this one out! This is finally one situation where I agree with Robin and the ELT.

cledaybuck

Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:43 pm

B6FLL954 wrote:

All the more reason smaller carriers like B6 should be allowed to merge. The Big 3 + WN have a dominant position in the US aviation market and nearly unlimited resources to compete. Delta for instance, with nearly 900 airplanes has put an all out blitz on BOS and SEA without even breaking a sweat. DL and UA dominate the New York market, but an AA/B6 regional partnership is the problem?

How can you complain about the Big three plus WN having a dominant position and nearly unlimited resources and then advocate for the NEA?

santi319

Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm

B6FLL954 wrote:
A JetBlue/Spirit combination creates a broader network, allowing B6 to better compete and play some offense finally with an expanded fleet. Not overpaying for VX was understandable, but it would be a mistake for B6 to sit this one out! This is finally one situation where I agree with Robin and the ELT.

This!

And also most do not understand how dangerous Indigo Partners is for labor relationships in aviation. If they were to become the 5th largest airline, airline workers in the US can start to say goodbye to livable wages and basic rights and benefits (most of their airlines’ catalogue do not even have flight benefits for their own workers including cabin crew).

If Indigo wins this one, the US aviation panorama for workers takes a huge step back, and slowly becomes that of Europe, where longevity and benefits take a second step.

strfyr51

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm

Seeing as JBLU now has permanent LHR slots? they'll need to maximize their Domestic fleet to offer said service to the USA nationwide to make said slots worth the time and expense the have laid out. since Mint is the main deal to LHR and LGW? They'll need to gain domestic traction to get to the next level without being Jacked by any similar sized Major looking to expand, Like? Alaska.. Since they also have Airbus Airplanes in their Fleet, OR? Hawaiian, Since they not only have Airbus airplanes But larger Boeings and combined/. would make them a truly worldwide airline. So? there is darn GOOD reason for B6 to Pursue NK. They're in Shark infested Waters!!

a

strfyr51

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:34 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
HunterATL wrote:
tphuang wrote:

i've discussed this subject with someone quite extensively actually. It's hard to imagine NK being this politically connected to get a DOJ lawsuit against NEA. The only logical conclusion is that DL/UA (especially DL) has been pushing hard on disband NEA narrative in their conversation with politicians.

I still think it doesn't make sense for them to give up NEA in a merger with NK. However, if that means they don't give up any assets outside of a few gates at FLL, I could see a situation where this would work out.

That is not a logical conclusion; it's an evidence-free conspiracy theory and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the historical animosity between DOT and DOJ's antitrust division regarding airline JVs. For more than 2 decades, the antitrust division at DOJ has publicly stated on multiple occasions that DOT does not engage in a proper analysis when evaluating foreign JVs before grating antitrust immunity. Although DOT cannot grant antitrust immunity to domestic JVs, it must approve them before they can take effect. DOJ, under Trump, was livid that Chao granted approval to the NEA (then immediately resigned) before DOJ could review it for compliance with the antitrust laws. Even in the waning days of the Trump administration, DOJ began reviewing the NEA, and the staff quickly began preparing litigation even before the new political appointees could be confirmed. Heaven forbid DOJ reach its own conclusion that this is anticompetitive and violates the antitrust laws. This notion that the staff in the antitrust division could not reach their own independent decision without some unidentified political or economic pressure is simply preposterous and maligns their integrity, especially in light of DOJ's position for more than 2 decades that DOT gets antitrust wrong.

Also, I would love to know how the conspiracy theory goes regarding how DL or anybody else got the attorneys general in Arizona, California, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and DC (a combination of both Republicans and Democrats) to all join and sue AA and B6. B6 and AA are major employers in FL (they employ significantly more than DL), but FL sued. AA is a major employer in AZ, CA, PA, and DC (AA employees more than DL is all states but CA), but they all sued. B6 is a major employer in MA (B6 employs more than DL), but MA sued. Are you seriously contending that DL, NK, or anybody else convinced all these different states with different political views to sue? And do you really think that the antitrust divisions in all of these states are essentially for sale to the highest bidder and bring actions only because some competitor convinces them?

At its core, this conspiracy theory maligns the integrity and the intelligence of the civil and political staff at DOJ's antitrust division and those of the participating states. Some might disagree with their decision to sue, but to claim, without evidence, that this was motivated by AA's and B6's competitors is ridiculous.

Well put. I will also add imo I find it rather surprising that through the pandemic and the pandemic aftermath Delta and United have had to put up with the illegality of competing against this. Rhetorically, I wonder if they will have any basis to sue the DOT based on a DOJ outcome that finds NEA anticompetitive to the extent of seeking remedies/damages themselves!

the real Question might BE? Seeing that Logan can't just get any Larger? There is no remedy for United nor Delta to get anything Past the breakup of the NEA itself.
with the logic of? Since we can't do it also? then AA needs to fly their OWN damn flights like UA and DL have to. Other than that? It was actually a darn good Idea for what they get out of it.

tlecam

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 pm

B6FLL954 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:

fastmover wrote:

I don’t have an issue with the B6/NK acquisition nor do I have a conceptual issue with the NEA. However, the competitive landscape in BOS and NYC prior to the NEA was hardly that DL was running a mini-ATL out of BOS and that DL and UA owned the NYC market while AA and B6 were after-thoughts.

In BOS, DL just (and barely) took the market share lead from B6 with it’s recent expansion. B6 and DL were of comparable size and AA was not far behind them in terms of marketshare. Combined, B6 and AA are quite a bit larger, have more gates, seats and flights by a comfortable margin.

The same is true to a lessor extent in NYC. While AA’s ops at JFK are a shadow of their former selves, they still have a very robust operation at LGA and B6 has a huge hub at JFK.

In BOS in particular, I wonder whether the NEA is really in the best interests of consumers.

tphuang

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:27 pm

tlecam wrote:
B6FLL954 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I don’t have an issue with the B6/NK acquisition nor do I have a conceptual issue with the NEA. However, the competitive landscape in BOS and NYC prior to the NEA was hardly that DL was running a mini-ATL out of BOS and that DL and UA owned the NYC market while AA and B6 were after-thoughts.

In BOS, DL just (and barely) took the market share lead from B6 with it’s recent expansion. B6 and DL were of comparable size and AA was not far behind them in terms of marketshare. Combined, B6 and AA are quite a bit larger, have more gates, seats and flights by a comfortable margin.

The same is true to a lessor extent in NYC. While AA’s ops at JFK are a shadow of their former selves, they still have a very robust operation at LGA and B6 has a huge hub at JFK.

In BOS in particular, I wonder whether the NEA is really in the best interests of consumers.

I think DL did NEA a great favor with its recent BOS expansion. It actually allows B6/AA to make the case that they are not overly dominant in BOS. I heard through the grapevine that B6 execs were very happy about what happened. If NK merger closes, I think you will see them at full expansion mode at BOS.

Imo, the only possible anti-competitive part of NEA was the 55 to 60% local market share (by revenue) of combined B6/AA presence at BOS. I think we may not be able to fully judge this for a few years.

The other parts of NEA, like putting a competitor to UA/DL in NYC and having a viable competitor to UA at EWR, are all good things for NY area travelers imo. I live in NJ and end up having to fly *A pretty much every time, because there is no real alternative to UA at EWR right now. And having a more competitive AA TATL hub in JFK and B6 TATL hub in BOS are generally going to make TATL travel more competitive in the future.

tlecam

Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:22 pm

tphuang wrote:
tlecam wrote:
B6FLL954 wrote:

I think DL did NEA a great favor with its recent BOS expansion. It actually allows B6/AA to make the case that they are not overly dominant in BOS. I heard through the grapevine that B6 execs were very happy about what happened. If NK merger closes, I think you will see them at full expansion mode at BOS.

Imo, the only possible anti-competitive part of NEA was the 55 to 60% local market share (by revenue) of combined B6/AA presence at BOS. I think we may not be able to fully judge this for a few years.

The other parts of NEA, like putting a competitor to UA/DL in NYC and having a viable competitor to UA at EWR, are all good things for NY area travelers imo. I live in NJ and end up having to fly *A pretty much every time, because there is no real alternative to UA at EWR right now. And having a more competitive AA TATL hub in JFK and B6 TATL hub in BOS are generally going to make TATL travel more competitive in the future.

Agreed with just about everything you wrote; you were the one who kept reminding me (us) about the strength of both B6 and AA in BOS when Dl was starting its expansion.

I have to imagine that your grapevine sources are right about B6 being happy; DL’s expansion weakens a case against the NEA being anti-competitive.

fastmover

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:50 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:
tlecam wrote:

fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

So basically it won’t matter what examples I give you, you will just blow them off.

What I gave you were two examples where many people said that won’t work. London and mint, yet it does.

I don’t know what you are getting at with PHL it’s not like it would be a focus city we grew some flight we shrank some flights it also happens to be the hub of our NEA partner. As for the others every airline will grow or shrink at different places that does not mean much.

But you are actually making my point for me. You are correct JetBlue elt is slow and deliberate they go with what they know and rarely go outside the box. Which is why I keep telling you if they didn’t think this merger would work they would never do it. After David N almost killed the airline with hyper growth we have now in our DNA a very cautious leadership team.

It’s either they know it will work or they are all crazy and are risking the future of JetBlue here. I don’t think they are that dumb (again for the record I’m not even a fan of the ELT)

fastmover

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:53 pm

USAirKid wrote:
ChrisPBacon wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

I believe the contract language was posted earlier, and while it requires one seniority list and one contract, it doesn't say anything about multiple brands. (We go bogged down if an "alter ego" is a brand, but I'd argue an "alter ego" is a completely separate puppet airline controlled by a different airline.)

If/when this merger happens I expect the Spirit brand to be operated by JetBlue for 12-24 months. The onboard products are different enough that it behooves them to have a Southwest/Airtran style merger. (Southwest operated Airtran as its own carrier because the products were so different. They moved 3 or 4 737s a month into the WN operation, while moving the 717s to DL, properly adjusting the schedules as airplanes moved between brands.)

If JetBlue doesn't execute the merger in this way, they're going to make people expecting the JetBlue product very unhappy, the folks expecting the Spirit product pleasantly surprised, and confirm that management is not competent to run the place. Recall the complaints that happened a while ago when ad to take E190s out of service for maintenance, to keep the flights they were instead operated by another operator's house E145s. People howled that they didn't get the JetBlue product, and that was only a few lines of flying, not the whole operation.

Totally agree. That’s about the only way they can do it.

fastmover

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:55 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Well put. I will also add imo I find it rather surprising that through the pandemic and the pandemic aftermath Delta and United have had to put up with the illegality of competing against this. Rhetorically, I wonder if they will have any basis to sue the DOT based on a DOJ outcome that finds NEA anticompetitive to the extent of seeking remedies/damages themselves!

the real Question might BE? Seeing that Logan can't just get any Larger? There is no remedy for United nor Delta to get anything Past the breakup of the NEA itself.
with the logic of? Since we can't do it also? then AA needs to fly their OWN damn flights like UA and DL have to. Other than that? It was actually a darn good Idea for what they get out of it.

NEA is a great idea, but I think it is flawed at the core as an "alliance" when it clearly has merger benefits. Basically the DOJ will have to decide/pick market-place winners by agreeing whether a legacy carrier (AA) can harness the lower costs of its competitor (B6) to thrust overnight into a enormous amount of routes at the detriment of incumbent carriers in the market. jetBlue may be able to operate there with fares at a certain level, but Delta and the excellent service it provides NYC may not be able to for the long-term. People say B6 has an ally in Schumer, but I highly doubt Schumer has any detailed knowledge of how airlines got to the point they got and what it takes to have a level-playing field as independent players in the highly contested waters of NYC. JetBlue certainly brings a good competitive dynamic to NY. But Delta has been NY's hometown airline long before jetBlue.

And Chuck Schumer is the Senator from,……….

cledaybuck

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:18 pm

fastmover wrote:
It’s either they know it will work or they are all crazy and are risking the future of JetBlue here. I don’t think they are that dumb (again for the record I’m not even a fan of the ELT)

There's quite a bit of space in between these two.

sxf24

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:21 pm

santi319 wrote:
B6FLL954 wrote:

This!

And also most do not understand how dangerous Indigo Partners is for labor relationships in aviation. If they were to become the 5th largest airline, airline workers in the US can start to say goodbye to livable wages and basic rights and benefits (most of their airlines’ catalogue do not even have flight benefits for their own workers including cabin crew).

If Indigo wins this one, the US aviation panorama for workers takes a huge step back, and slowly becomes that of Europe, where longevity and benefits take a second step.

You’re trying to create a boogie man that doesn’t exist - perhaps a new JetBlue talking point?

First, Indigo Partners does not operate airlines. It is an investor focused on the ULCC model. One way these airlines keep costs low is by trying to be at the bottom of the market for wages. The key word here is market - any airline has to pay the going wage if they’re going to attract and retain employees. F9 is still able to hire and offers competitive wages and benefits.

usairways85

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:25 pm

There is no way B6 profitably operates the major NK stations outside of FLL and maybe one or two others. I cannot imagine B6 wants to fly the current NK routes... PHL-ATL, CUN, DFW, MSY, IAH, LAS, DTW, MYR, etc.

TYWoolman

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:05 pm

fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:

I don’t know what you are getting at with PHL it’s not like it would be a focus city we grew some flight we shrank some flights it also happens to be the hub of our NEA partner.

Wondering what the significance happens to be to bring up the fact that PHL "happens to be the hub of our NEA partner." (?) I can only wonder if B6 going forward shrinks or doesn't initiate service altogether in AA strongholds. I am not saying that you are supporting this position per se -maybe I don't have the true context of the other poster - but that kind of reference to the NEA is case-in-point on DOJ anti-competitive concerns that B6 will not be incentivized to compete with AA in markets outside Boston and NYC. Any AA market outside Boston and NYC should be irrelevant to B6 whatsoever as a market of it's "NEA partner." B6 has been touting the NK merger as a means to expand. Let's see if they expand in AA strongholds, the true litmus test. PHL sure could use some "jetBlue effect," as would Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago and Charlotte, could it not?

tphuang

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:35 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I don’t know what you are getting at with PHL it’s not like it would be a focus city we grew some flight we shrank some flights it also happens to be the hub of our NEA partner.

Wondering what the significance happens to be to bring up the fact that PHL "happens to be the hub of our NEA partner." (?) I can only wonder if B6 going forward shrinks or doesn't initiate service altogether in AA strongholds. I am not saying that you are supporting this position per se -maybe I don't have the true context of the other poster - but that kind of reference to the NEA is case-in-point on DOJ anti-competitive concerns that B6 will not be incentivized to compete with AA in markets outside Boston and NYC. Any AA market outside Boston and NYC should be irrelevant to B6 whatsoever as a market of it's "NEA partner." B6 has been touting the NK merger as a means to expand. Let's see if they expand in AA strongholds, the true litmus test. PHL sure could use some "jetBlue effect," as would Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago and Charlotte, could it not?

They cannot even staff enough block hours to fly their pre covid Boston and fll schedule. And you want them to expand into aa fortress hubs? That makes no sense.

TYWoolman

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:43 pm

tphuang wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
fastmover wrote:

They cannot even staff enough block hours to fly their pre covid Boston and fll schedule. And you want them to expand into aa fortress hubs? That makes no sense.

True, that wouldn't make sense from that perspective as well as for its "NEA partner's" perspective. My point was that B6 probably will never have an interest in AA fortress hubs (that also happen to be metropolitan areas ripe for low fares allowing it to better compete with the US3 - the famous merger claim) so long as the NEA is in place.

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:06 pm

fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:

fastmover wrote:

So basically it won’t matter what examples I give you, you will just blow them off.

What I gave you were two examples where many people said that won’t work. London and mint, yet it does.

I don’t know what you are getting at with PHL it’s not like it would be a focus city we grew some flight we shrank some flights it also happens to be the hub of our NEA partner. As for the others every airline will grow or shrink at different places that does not mean much.

But you are actually making my point for me. You are correct JetBlue elt is slow and deliberate they go with what they know and rarely go outside the box. Which is why I keep telling you if they didn’t think this merger would work they would never do it. After David N almost killed the airline with hyper growth we have now in our DNA a very cautious leadership team.

Yes, I will blow them off if they are bad examples. Mint was 10 years ago (Half the life of the airline ago) with also a somewhat different leadership team.

If Mint and flying a couple daily flights to the largest international market from their two largest hubs NYC/BOS are recent examples of "defying the odds" for you, then you are proving my point.

What I am getting at with PHL and the other examples, is B6 has not proven it can successfully expand its business model outside of the Northeast and Florida.

I'm really not making a complicated point here.

TYWoolman wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

B6 shrinking or not initiating service in AA strongholds would prove the DOJs point that the NEA is a noncompetitive agreement (a position I disagree with btw) & it even disincentives B6 from competiting with AA in non-NEA markets (ie PHL).

If I were a B6 person in favor of the NEA, I would be very careful on the wording.....

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:15 pm

Frontier Airlines (ULCC) upgraded to outperform by Raymond James, F9 faces "a longer runway of growth opportunities amidst a potential JetBlue-Spirit merger"

https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-stock- ... line-stock

Flflyer83

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:

You forgot the failed focus cities at AUS and ORD. And the failed hub at LGB.

SoCalFlyer

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:31 pm

We should be hearing something any minute on the new update with the offers. My instinct is telling me F9 will walk away, and would rather pick up the divestitures. I honestly think the Spirit C suite execs are now negotiating their parachutes to exit. They’ll walk away rich!

airportugal310

Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:

I wouldn't call LGB a failed hub. They moved their flying to an arguable more lucrative airport up the freeway (LAX), while leaving behind a toxic relationship at LGB

jplatts

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:29 pm

It probably makes sense for B6 to retain its FF program partnership with AA, even if there are codesharing restrictions between AA and B6 imposed as a result of a B6-NK merger, as some of B6 FF's do travel to domestic destinations that do not currently have B6 or NK service such as AGS, BHM, CHO, CHA, CVG, CAE, DSM, VPS, ELP, XNA, FAT, GRR, GSO, GSP, JAN, TYS, LIT, MSN, MFE, OKC, OMA, ORF, ECP, TLH, TUL, TUS, and ILM.

The DOJ would likely impose some restrictions on codesharing between B6 and AA if the B6-NK merger gets approved, similar to the restrictions on codesharing that were imposed between AS and AA as a result of the AS-VX merger.

Flflyer83

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:33 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I wouldn't call LGB a failed hub. They moved their flying to an arguable more lucrative airport up the freeway (LAX), while leaving behind a toxic relationship at LGB

And stopped flying to many cities in the west that they once served from LGB…

TWFlyGuy

Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:46 pm

fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:

fastmover wrote:

I think everyone is likely giving the B6 leaders more credit than they deserve. As has been noted, B6 & NK share many major investors. It's not unheard of or far fetched that those investors drove this to protect their B6 investment believing a stronger F9 is a strategic threat to B6 long term. And given that, it wouldn't be shocking if they helped line up the financing as well. It's possible the leadership approached those investors to warn of the threat but just as likely those investors are looking out for themselves and identified the response.

phluser

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:00 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
PHL sure could use some "jetBlue effect," as would Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago and Charlotte, could it not?

DTW is one major market that gets most screwed from a JetBlue-Spirit carrier, over those markets, as Spirit has been the second largest carrier at DTW, and DTW has a lot less Frontier or Southwest. Southwest has been more reluctant to expand at DTW against DL's hub, and Frontier is small and has to build up more, to be ready to backfill. It doesn't serve DTW-MCO daily it appears.

NK has served DTW-LGA for many years, and since JetBlue has announced it will give up LGA slots held by NK, that nulls out DTW-LGA.

jplatts

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:37 pm

phluser wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
PHL sure could use some "jetBlue effect," as would Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago and Charlotte, could it not?

DTW is one major market that gets most screwed from a JetBlue-Spirit carrier, over those markets, as Spirit has been the second largest carrier at DTW, and DTW has a lot less Frontier or Southwest. Southwest has been more reluctant to expand at DTW against DL's hub, and Frontier is small and has to build up more, to be ready to backfill. It doesn't serve DTW-MCO daily it appears.

DTW can support the return of daily nonstop service to LAS on WN with WN having load factors of over 90% on LAS-DTW prior to reducing DTW-LAS nonstop service from daily to Saturday-only in June 2019. WN was also facing nonstop competition from NK on LAS-CMH/PIT routes 3 1/2 years ago, and it was not just simply ULCC competition that led WN to reduce DTW-LAS nonstop service to Saturday-only in June 2019 as the yields that WN was getting on DTW-LAS were likely similar to the yields that WN was getting on DTW-CMH/PIT 3 1/2 years ago.

ATL, DAL, HOU, and PHX can likely support the return of daily nonstop service out of DTW on WN, especially if DTW-ATL/DFW/IAH/PHX gets dropped by B6/NK as a result of a B6-NK merger.

B6 might still hold onto DTW-LAX nonstop service if the B6-NK merger happens with B6 having a focus city at LAX and with DL being the only airline other than NK that currently serves LAX nonstop from DTW. B6 also already has nonstop service out of LAX to some destinations apart from JFK/EWR/BOS/MCO/FLL such as BUF, CUN, CHS, BDL, JAX, LAS, LIR, RNO, SLC, SFO, and SJD.

WN is also connecting some passengers from DTW to some destinations that don't currently have any nonstop service from DTW such as LIT, OKC, SMF, TUL, and ICT.

AA would still continue to serve DFW/PHL/PHX nonstop from DTW, and UA would still continue to serve IAH nonstop from DTW.

The routes that would be most at risk of losing nonstop competition in the event of a B6-NK merger would be routes such as DTW-MSP/MSY, but SY adding DTW-MSP nonstop service might be a possibility if DTW-MSP nonstop service gets dropped by NK.

phluser wrote:
NK has served DTW-LGA for many years, and since JetBlue has announced it will give up LGA slots held by NK, that nulls out DTW-LGA.

B6 would likely continue to serve JFK nonstop from DTW with B6 already serving JFK nonstop from DTW.

fastmover

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:20 am

Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yes, I will blow them off if they are bad examples. Mint was 10 years ago (Half the life of the airline ago) with also a somewhat different leadership team.

If Mint and flying a couple daily flights to the largest international market from their two largest hubs NYC/BOS are recent examples of "defying the odds" for you, then you are proving my point.

What I am getting at with PHL and the other examples, is B6 has not proven it can successfully expand its business model outside of the Northeast and Florida.

I'm really not making a complicated point here.

TYWoolman wrote:
fastmover wrote:

B6 shrinking or not initiating service in AA strongholds would prove the DOJs point that the NEA is a noncompetitive agreement (a position I disagree with btw) & it even disincentives B6 from competiting with AA in non-NEA markets (ie PHL).

If I were a B6 person in favor of the NEA, I would be very careful on the wording.....

And neither is my point you just don’t think it’s valid. I agree this coukd blow up in their face. BUT my argument with you is I think they have a really good idea if it will work or not. Otherwise they just wouldn’t go down this road.

As for the two examples it’s just two where people said it wouldn’t work and yet it did or has so the experts can be wrong.

As for different leadership I’m sure you know that mint was pretty much our current CEOs idea along with London and a few other things so no leadership is quite that different.

fastmover

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:24 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Do me a favor and show me where JetBlue ever built AUS or ORD up as a focus city or even tried? You can’t fail at something you don’t do. Might want to research a bit.

Yeah lgb is gone it was a change in strategy from point to point to cal to more mint focus. So what name an airline that has not shrunk or left a “hub” ever. That does not mean much. SWA pulled out of EWR are they a failure?

TVNWZ

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:26 am

If anet was around back in the day everyone on here would swear Fred Smith’s sophomoric college paper idea was stupid and never work.

fastmover

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:27 am

TYWoolman wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

We have never had a major operation in any of those airports even prior to the NEA.

rj777

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:28 am

Well, we're a week away from the shareholders' vote.... any leaks, predictions on how it's gonna go?

Wneast

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:30 am

rj777 wrote:
Well, we're a week away from the shareholders' vote.... any leaks, predictions on how it's gonna go?

Obviously we know JetBlue is going to win…. My prediction they announce a agreement with JetBlue and cancel the shareholder vote.

fastmover

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:31 am

I think the overall point is JetBlue knows it can either go after spirit and grow fast or it can become the ALK of the east (and less profitable) stuck in an area and not overly relevant to the rest of the country.

planecane

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:54 am

Wneast wrote:
rj777 wrote:

Obviously we know JetBlue is going to win…. My prediction they announce a agreement with JetBlue and cancel the shareholder vote.

They still need a shareholder vote to approve the agreement they make with JetBlue (if they made one).

TVNWZ

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:55 am

Wneast wrote:
rj777 wrote:

Lol. Shareholders still have to vote. But will vote for B6.

Midwestindy

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:33 am

fastmover wrote:
I think the overall point is JetBlue knows it can either go after spirit and grow fast or it can become the ALK of the east (and less profitable) stuck in an area and not overly relevant to the rest of the country.

The goal of a business is profit, not market share.

I can't stress this enough.

Yes they are technically gaining a larger share of the US marketplace, but it is coming from fractions of each individual market.

ALK has proven that you can be a "regional" carrier and still be very profitable, they are projected to have double digit margins this quarter (only surpassed by DL).

hiflyeras

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:51 am

VS4ever wrote:

Nada, he's trying to invoke Alaskan airlines as ALK unlike AS as most of us know it. But I'm trusting you knew that :)

Now who’s the one that needs a little talking to? Alaskan?

heretothere

Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:29 pm

Wow, NK just announced an updated merger agreement with F9:

https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/C ... 4878f.html

Looks like they’re gonna try to ram this thing through next week. Will be interesting, that’s for sure.

Press release:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spirit-a ... 00861.html

FlyinRabbit88

Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:59 pm

Guess Ted Christie and the rest of the Spirit BOD want those Frontier BOD spots. Get the popcorn ready, going to be an interesting week to the shareholders meeting.

santi319

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:27 pm

So theyre saying wait for 2024 and your shares will be $50 based on market demand and hopefully nothing happens.. looool Indigo is definetly on crack.

av8tiongeek

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:34 pm

I'll be so happy when it's all over.

SoCalFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:42 pm

Ted Christie went to Frontier begging! LoL! But in all seriousness, I wonder how JetBlue responds, and 2024 is the timeframe they want the investors to wait, and possibly get $50 per share. That’s crazy!

CRJ200flyer

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 pm

If I’m doing my math correctly (probably not), based on last closing price, and cash add-ons, they offered $26.50 or so per share in value. So that’s still inferior to JetBlue with the excuse being in 2024 it will double!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos