Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Abeam79

Re: JetBlue Makes New Offer for Spirit

Tue May 17, 2022 6:41 pm

SWALUV wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts on that but it wasn't quite where I was trying to take this.

I was comparing DL fares per mile on a route without a ULCC (DTW-BOS, which at least has JetBlue), against a route with a ULCC (DTW-LAS with Spirit). I did cite DL Basic Economy fares on both routes.

I'm not calling B6 a ULCC. For what it's worth - and maybe for another thread - I call them a LCC along with AS and WN, all based on avg yields, not carrier costs.

I don't believe there's much chance that B6 will convert to Spirit's ULCC model. Instead they'll wind up reconfiguring aircraft to B6 standards -- and, importanly, move all Spirit employees to B6 wage scales and work rules (and unions in the relevant crafts). That would, IMHO, destroy the profitability that Spirit has built today. If B6 thought Spirit's Midwest-to-beach routes could get comparable B6 JFK-XXX and BOS-XXX yields, B6 would have been building out the route network that way for years. And yet we see clearly they have not.

(Yes, Spirit flies more than Midwest-to-beach.)

In large, I agree with a sentiment posted upthread. B6 is pursuing this not as a great deal, but its last chance for a deal.

I think B6 is large enough to skip this and grow organically but investment bankers and lawyers don't make $$$$ that way, so they push for deals.

I disagree. I think B6 wants to become a ULCC but has been unable to pull it off. I think that is the root of the operation issues, and also their motivating factor here. Let B6 die down to premium routes, and let Spirit take over some of the smaller and lower yielding routes B6 runs now. That is what appeals to the accountants and stock analysts, and that is what is driving decisions. Personally I don't think it will work, but that won't keep them from trying. If they really wanted the LLC business they would focus on improving service, but so far they haven't done anything to that effect. They see Neelman moving in with Breeze, and they know he will out perform them at their/his own game, aso they are trying to make moves now.

At the same time, I think there is going to be such negative reaction at this point publicly, whether you feel justified or not, any move to merge any Us airlines at this point won't get approval.

I think it’s been clearly covered and stated multiple times that the current B6 product is what will continue forward. B6 has shown a continued investment in the passenger experience that is unlike the traditional ULCC experience. From what has been said, that won’t change going forward.

Exactly, B6 isn't and clearly has no intention of being ULCC. Not sure where anyone can conclude this seeing the statements and market dynamics of where they operate to think they are moving to a ULCC>RH even said in the recent statement there are plenty of start up ULCC's entering the market with lots of growth planned in the coming years in that sector, IE Avelo, Breeze, Allegiant, etc, If anything they are clearly more hybrid carrier leaning more towards mimicking full service type carrier. Expanding to Europe with premium heavy product thats won awards beyond the legacy offering and going into LHR, with eyes sets for CDG and AMS is not the ULCC model at all. They have also stated in earnings reports in comments that they would like to have more Mint aircraft to expand the Mint product even more. I would surmise if they succeed with acquiring NK lots of those A321's will be reconfigured to mint.

Midwestindy

Re: JetBlue Makes Hostile Takeover Offer for Spirit

Tue May 17, 2022 6:43 pm

"Flight attendants’ union backs Spirit-Frontier merger, clearing labor hurdle"

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/17/flight- ... erger.html

To be expected, but does raise questions about the integration process should shareholders decide to go for a B6 deal

Midwestindy

Tue May 17, 2022 6:53 pm

Lootess wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Lootess wrote:

Forgetting the ULCC factor, the more slots they have the happier DOT and DOJ are. Worst kept secret in US aviation. You can look at previous slot mergers like UA/CO, also little overlap, and two legacies. Leased out EWR slots to a certain LCC.

NK/B6 already have such little overlap, and they'll likely unload NYC area slots considering the hub.

They can't unload any NYC area slots because of the commitments laid out in the NEA, I'm assuming that's partially why NK is opposed to this.

There is no way all NYC slots will stay in-tact when they merge with an airline that has LGA slots, they just might just have to shed a hair from the 195 JFK dailies, hardly a deal breaker.

I said above already, that B6 said that will get rid of any NK assets in NYC/BOS.

Outside of that they cannot give away any further assets per terms of the NEA, which they said they are committed to keeping in place:

They have contractual commitments within the NEA to meet growth targets each year, shedding slots would prevent them from reaching those targets, which would kick in additional divestitures

trueblew

Tue May 17, 2022 6:55 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

To be expected, but does raise questions about the integration process should shareholders decide to go for a B6 deal

Of course AFA are supportive of the Frontier deal; they don't want to have to provide in-flight service, much less two services per flight.

JoseSalazar

Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

I rode on spirit a couple weeks ago and was chatting with the FAs about the merger. They had no desire to become jetblue because they didn’t want to have to provide a free service (as opposed to now where only a few actually buy anything on them) nor clean the planes. They felt at home with frontier but like foreigners to jetblue. Then again I just had a brand new FA the other day at B6 who had just come from spirit. She also echoed the “I have to work a lot more at jetblue” sentiment, but apparently it was a better career for her to move. I don’t think spirit labor in general really wants to become JetBlue, except maybe a few pilots.

positiverate

Tue May 17, 2022 7:29 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

delusional?

No one is arguing that either merger doesn't mean less competition. B6 is quite simply much worse for competition.

Let's try this one more time.

BOTH mergers have the potential to raise prices, one(B6) more than the other.

Let's explain using your example:

Essentially pre any merger- NK has 10% market share at $50, F9 has 10% market share at $50, B6 has 10% market share at $100, every other airline has 70% market share at $150.
$5+5+10+105 = $125 average fare in that scenario

Scenario 1 NK+F9 merger: 20% total market share, and let's even say the combined airline raises prices by 50%. So they control 20% of the market at $75, B6 has 10% market share still at $100, and every other carrier has 70% market share at $150.
$15+10+105 = $130 average fare in that scenario

Scenario 2 NK+B6 merger: 20% total market share, let's even say B6 keeps fares flat at $100, F9 has 10% market share and raises prices by 50%, every other airline has 70% market share at $150
$20+7.5+105 = $132.5 average fare in that scenario

It's a rudimentary example, but a B6 merger is still more damaging to consumers.

We will see but as I said before people on here have said F9 wins either way because they will just grow into the gaps left by JetBlue. So if that’s true it looks like the consumer would be just fine.

"Consumer would be just fine"

Spirit flew 40 million seats last year, compared to F9's 28 million.....

How do you propose F9 "fill in the gaps," especially in airports that are gate constrained, many of which are some of NK's largest stations.

By using some of those 900 airplane Indigo orders to fill in the gaps that B6 says they’ll make when they divest in some of the markets to new entrants?

I mean that’s one way.

positiverate

Tue May 17, 2022 7:31 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Lootess wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Let's be explicit here, B6 said they were willing to give up NK's assets in BOS/NYC (which would have been a given), outside of that they have made no further definitive commitments.

And if we are to believe what B6 says, they want this merger in large part to gain access to NK's assets in these gate constrained airports (ATL and ORD were listed as examples). So if that is a core tenant of their investment reasoning, why would they be willing to let go of significant chunks of assets they were trying to gain?

My response was about the consumer not F9, because you said "the consumer would be just fine"

Forgetting the ULCC factor, the more slots they have the happier DOT and DOJ are. Worst kept secret in US aviation. You can look at previous slot mergers like UA/CO, also little overlap, and two legacies. Leased out EWR slots to a certain LCC.

NK/B6 already have such little overlap, and they'll likely unload NYC area slots considering the hub.

They can't unload any NYC area slots because of the commitments laid out in the NEA, I'm assuming that's partially why NK is opposed to this.

They can unload NK’s slots in the NYC area, certainly.

positiverate

Tue May 17, 2022 7:33 pm

fastmover wrote:
rdhnvegas wrote:
They both operate very different business models that typically tend to very different types of travelers. The only real thing they have in common is their love for FLL and the all Airbus fleet. So, what is the end goal of this take over? Would JetBlue just kill the Spirit brand, absorb the Airbus fleet, and just move along (like Delta/NW or AA/US)? Or do they intent to shift their business model to include ULCC operations?

It’s not a guess they told everyone. They need the planes the pilots and the real estate spirit has. They think this is a good option for a rapid size up in scale. It will all be the current JetBlue model spirt will only exist (in spirit) :)

Exactly. The contrived theories on this board amaze me. It’s pretty transparent. They’re buying the airplanes and the crews, and the gates.

Vicenza

Tue May 17, 2022 7:33 pm

[quote="MIflyer12"][quote="umichman"]

I'm not calling B6 a ULCC. For what it's worth - and maybe for another thread - I call them a LCC along with AS and WN, all based on avg yields, not carrier costs.

But an being an LCC is determined by carrier costs, not yields, average or otherwise.

panam330

Tue May 17, 2022 9:27 pm

Vicenza wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
umichman wrote:

But an being an LCC is determined by carrier costs, not yields, average or otherwise.

Indeed, it's in the acronym itself - Low Cost Carrier, as opposed to Low Fare Carrier.

Lootess

Tue May 17, 2022 11:16 pm

positiverate wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Lootess wrote:

Yes, the simplest solution is just unload LGA assets from NK.

Merger shouldn't affect the NEA standing with the DOT provided they don't "regain" slots they already divested.

GSPSPOT

Wed May 18, 2022 12:00 am

Can all this just be OVER WITH already??

FiscAutTecGarte

Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 am

you know.. I've never flown JetBlue, Frontier, nor Spirit.

But I see Frontier and Spirit as growing... and JetBlue as retracting. I've always wanted to try JetBlue.. .they were just never going anywhere I was going...

regardless of what happens... I suspect Frontier is the winner (either merges w/ Spirit or picks up all the pieces that JetBlue drops if they merge with Spirit.).

JoseSalazar

Wed May 18, 2022 12:14 am

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

But I see Frontier and Spirit as growing... and JetBlue as retracting. I've always wanted to try JetBlue.. .they were just never going anywhere I was going...

regardless of what happens... I suspect Frontier is the winner (either merges w/ Spirit or picks up all the pieces that JetBlue drops if they merge with Spirit.).

You see jetblue as retracting? Haven’t they grown more than any other carrier since covid? They have 4,500 pilots and are planning on hiring a total of over 1,000 this year alone. They’ve hired something like 5000-6000 employees this year alone. What am I missing?

Abeam79

Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

You see jetblue as retracting? Haven’t they grown more than any other carrier since covid? They have 4,500 pilots and are planning on hiring a total of over 1,000 this year alone. They’ve hired something like 5000-6000 employees this year alone. What am I missing?

Exactly, they are not "retracting" they will be at 2019 levels and grown since emerging from covid vs its peers are still below 2019 levels. That statement is a head scratcher.

FiscAutTecGarte

Wed May 18, 2022 2:25 am

Abeam79 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

Exactly, they are not "retracting" they will be at 2019 levels and grown since emerging from covid vs its peers are still below 2019 levels. That statement is a head scratcher.

Your opinions. I think they are just servicing pent-up demand after 2 years of no one flying... The North East was locked down allot more than the rest of the United States. So they are seeing surging demand. Evidence of such is I can't get a round trip ticket on Southwest into Albany NY at the end of June. Full-up.... So, it's what's happening in the East where JetBlue is strong. Like you said.. They will just be at 2019 levels.... They wont' grow much more...unless then succeed in acquiring someone else...

I've nver flown them becuase they aren't going where I wanted to go.... and just the 1 or 2 times they were, they were substantially higher. I would like to try their Mint product... they just have to be going from some place I am to some place I want to be. Hasnt' aligned just yet. They're far off to be taken too seriously beyond the niche they've carved out. They're a media darling but they've not had the financial results to earn it in some time.

RyanairGuru

Wed May 18, 2022 3:08 am

trueblew wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Of course AFA are supportive of the Frontier deal; they don't want to have to provide in-flight service, much less two services per flight.

Individual flight attendants might feel that way, but the AFA itself supports F9 because they (most likely) lose representation, and therefore members dues, if NK merges with TWU represented B6.

FlyingElvii

Wed May 18, 2022 3:09 am

cloudboy wrote:
Do you think they are desperate to get more space at FLL?

It is the PILOTS they are desperate for….

santi319

Wed May 18, 2022 3:33 am

I think its so funny how most here think B6 wants NK because of FLL or because of their pilots.

The truth is, its a combination of all of that plus their planes and workforce, with a side of ambition. Robyn’s letter to NK after the board declined their offer, specifically mentions B6 trying to get NK for a long time. NKs board did a poison pill in 2020, I suspect this has to do with B6. I also suspect Indigo and NK’s management have been in an agreement for a while now but everything got delayed because of covid.

We are just seeing the tip of the iceberg, but clearly a lot more has been going on behind the public’s eye. Even the newest FA contract of B6 shows a future “purser” program, why would they want to do that unless the airline plans to eventually become a full service carrier? Me thinks B6 is aiming to join the big 3 and give them a run for the money in the next 20 years. Buying NK will just speed that process.

B6FLL954

Wed May 18, 2022 4:26 am

santi319 wrote:
I think its so funny how most here think B6 wants NK because of FLL or because of their pilots.

The truth is, its a combination of all of that plus their planes and workforce, with a side of ambition. Robyn’s letter to NK after the board declined their offer, specifically mentions B6 trying to get NK for a long time. NKs board did a poison pill in 2020, I suspect this has to do with B6. I also suspect Indigo and NK’s management have been in an agreement for a while now but everything got delayed because of covid.

We are just seeing the tip of the iceberg, but clearly a lot more has been going on behind the public’s eye. Even the newest FA contract of B6 shows a future “purser” program, why would they want to do that unless the airline plans to eventually become a full service carrier? Me thinks B6 is aiming to join the big 3 and give them a run for the money in the next 20 years. Buying NK will just speed that process.

I couldn't agree with you more.

usflyer msp

Wed May 18, 2022 4:37 am

Abeam79 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

The preception that B6 is "retracting" is somewhat valid.
The problem is that they keep publishing ambitious future schedules that they cannot staff or otherwise maintain and then have to cull closer in - giving the perception that they are shrinking,
B6 can operate closer to 2019 numbers because they didn't retire any aircraft and have new NEA flying to make up for the stuff they did cut.

F9Animal

Wed May 18, 2022 4:53 am

I'm still just so confused. Spirit was kind of the ULCC darling if that is what you want to call it. Are they in financial trouble? Why the sudden interest in buying them?

Can Spirit still be successful on it's own?

Flap5

Wed May 18, 2022 10:01 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
Can all this just be OVER WITH already??

June 10th it will be known one way or another.

positiverate

Wed May 18, 2022 11:38 am

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

Your opinions.

Opinions? It’s actual data. You know this is all easily searchable right? Capacity, staffing…

positiverate

Wed May 18, 2022 11:41 am

santi319 wrote:

Where did it say “B6 trying to get NK for a long time.”

FlyinRabbit88

Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm

positiverate wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Was stated in one of the briefings that jetblue was looking at Spirit before Covid.

fastmover

Wed May 18, 2022 12:08 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

The problem is that they keep publishing ambitious future schedules that they cannot staff or otherwise maintain and then have to cull closer in - giving the perception that they are shrinking,
B6 can operate closer to 2019 numbers because they didn't retire any aircraft and have new NEA flying to make up for the stuff they did cut.

B6 is not the only airline to cut back schedules this year.

Blueknows

Wed May 18, 2022 12:27 pm

B6 cutting BDL-SJU

BA744PHX

Wed May 18, 2022 12:35 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

I’m with you on this statement, unless your flying into NYC, BOS or FLL from anywhere in the US, your destination options are extremely limited. Yes if you live in NE or Florida you have great options to fly to but everyone else it’s just NYC, BOS and FLL as your nonstop destinations. Yes I know they have mini operations in LAX but that’s it.

Midwestindy

Wed May 18, 2022 12:44 pm

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
positiverate wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Was stated in one of the briefings that jetblue was looking at Spirit before Covid.

Robin said yesterday they had not approached NK until this year. They had been doing Due Diligence however, as I'm sure every airline has.

The specific relations between each company are not secret, they are explicitly laid out by event, activity, date, e.t.c.

Lootess wrote:
positiverate wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yes, the simplest solution is just unload LGA assets from NK.

Merger shouldn't affect the NEA standing with the DOT provided they don't "regain" slots they already divested.

As I stated above they have already agreed to unload all of NK's assets in NYC/BOS, any further unloading would breach the NEA.

santi319

Wed May 18, 2022 1:32 pm

positiverate wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Acquiring Spirit has been a strategic objective of JetBlue for many years and, as such, we were
disappointed that the Spirit Board of Directors (the "Spirit Board") elected not to have any
discussions with us prior to the announcement of Sprit's transaction with Frontier Group Holdings,
Inc. ("Frontier"). This lack of engagement regrettably resulted in Spirit entering into a transaction
with Frontier that clearly does not maximize value for Spirit's stockholders.

While we would unquestionably prefer
to negotiate a transaction with you, if you continue to refuse to constructively engage with us so
that we can deliver this value to your stockholders, we are actively considering all other options
available to us.

Link:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-s ... der-offer/

sxf24

Wed May 18, 2022 3:44 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
trueblew wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Individual flight attendants might feel that way, but the AFA itself supports F9 because they (most likely) lose representation, and therefore members dues, if NK merges with TWU represented B6.

TWU opposes the B6 hostile bid, calling B6 a “hostile employer.” https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2022 ... -employer/

bluecrew

Wed May 18, 2022 4:02 pm

F9Animal wrote:
I'm still just so confused. Spirit was kind of the ULCC darling if that is what you want to call it. Are they in financial trouble? Why the sudden interest in buying them?

Can Spirit still be successful on it's own?
No company can realistically survive once two larger companies have put in bids to purchase them.

This was very common in the LBO craziness of the 1980s - once a bid went in the company was probably toast.

In this case you have an arranged marriage between two Indigo Partners airlines, with Bill Franke officiating the ceremony. Doesn't take a genius to read the statements from the NK board and realize it has been stacked with people sympathetic to the Frontier merger.

Before anyone exclaims with mock outrage that I dare insinuate that the board is "ignoring their fiduciary responsibility?!?!" :mad: :mad:, of course they are, we've seen this across industries since the dawn of time. They have an angle that they want to push, a preferred merger where they don't just go away, but have some levers of control over the new entity, and if it means the shareholders take a haircut, so be it. They either actually think they're better off pushing the money across the table and hoping they can make SuperFrontier work and make more money than JetBlue, or more likely, they're hoping shareholders and institutional investors will take the board's word for it, and stay long on the ULCC model.

It really is just that simple. The opportunities here are better for the board, so of course they'd brief for it, and against the buyout where they all lose their jobs, financial stakes in the company, and are just investors on the street again.

Midwestindy

Wed May 18, 2022 4:09 pm

sxf24 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
trueblew wrote:

TWU opposes the B6 hostile bid, calling B6 a “hostile employer.” https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2022 ... -employer/

My question is, with all things considered:

Why would the Department allow a merger between B6+NK with employee groups at both companies publicly stating the merger would be anti-competitive?

VS11

Wed May 18, 2022 4:18 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Why would the Department allow a merger between B6+NK with employee groups at both companies publicly stating the merger would be anti-competitive?

Because the employee groups can make a claim but that's what it is - just a claim.

Also, I do not remember the details of the transaction, but how is Southwest Airlines acquiring AirTran any different from B6 acquiring Spirit?

usflyer msp

Wed May 18, 2022 4:24 pm

fastmover wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:

B6 is not the only airline to cut back schedules this year.

I never said they were but B6 has done it more often and closer in than others. They are still making summer cuts now.

JoseSalazar

Wed May 18, 2022 4:26 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Because “the department” knows most FAs aren’t exactly experts in evaluating whether or not a business deal is anti-competitive. It doesn’t really matter what most employees think…be it flight attendants, pilots, mechanics, etc. It’s based first on the shareholder vote June 10th, then on the merits of leadership/lawyers’ arguments and how they are perceived. Jetblue makes a pretty compelling case why it isn’t anticompetitive (the main argument is that broader competition against the big 3 is more important than a larger ULCC airline for consumers, and whatever ULCC gaps exist after this merger can easily be filled by F9/G4/MX/SY/XP). Not sure why what a flight attendants union says matters. It’s like when a union puts out a vote of no confidence in leadership, it’s not like the feds come in and say “hey! He must go!”

santi319

Wed May 18, 2022 4:42 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Its very simple really, F9 + NK they stay AFA and AFA does not lose $$$ in union dues for their budget.

NK + B6 = NK and B6 FA have to vote whether they want to keep AFA (NK) or keep TWU (B6). Members will vote and one or the other will lose a workforce = lose member dues = lose budget.

Everybody is just looking out for their own interests and not for their members.

TYWoolman

Wed May 18, 2022 4:44 pm

Unions want the best leverage in negotiating a by-product of any transaction, so not surprised that a competing union workforce (as opposed to NK's) would voice its concern. But they did voice it with some hostility rather than constructively, at least that's the media slant.

sxf24

Wed May 18, 2022 5:03 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

It would be foolish for B6 management to try and proceed without the support of employee groups. At this point, they look to be incredibly arrogant and out of touch, bulldozing forward with no real support behind them except Goldman Sachs. Not good optics.

Brickell305

Wed May 18, 2022 5:52 pm

sxf24 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

It would be foolish for B6 management to try and proceed without the support of employee groups. At this point, they look to be incredibly arrogant and out of touch, bulldozing forward with no real support behind them except Goldman Sachs. Not good optics.

This entire thing is strange. From the initial offer while they are currently being sued by the department that will have to sign off on the agreement. Then there was the churlish response to NK’s initial rejection. This was followed by appealing to NK’s shareholders with a worse offer than they initially offered. If B6 really wanted to get this done, they’d up the completion risk fee to negate the single strongest point that NK’s board has. However, I’m of the opinion that they fully realize that there is major completion risk and are unwilling to increase that amount as a result because it’s likely that they will eventually have to pay. This truly has been handled ineptly.

usflyer msp

Wed May 18, 2022 6:17 pm

santi319 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Its very simple really, F9 + NK they stay AFA and AFA does not lose $$$ in union dues for their budget.

NK + B6 = NK and B6 FA have to vote whether they want to keep AFA (NK) or keep TWU (B6). Members will vote and one or the other will lose a workforce = lose member dues = lose budget.

Everybody is just looking out for their own interests and not for their members.

Yeah and B6 has more FAs so the odds are in the TWU's favor. This endorsement really doesn't mean much.

SoCalFlyer

Wed May 18, 2022 6:25 pm

This was sent by SPIRITS ALPA to their CEO. And, WOW! I think they are not thrilled about having to go back and work for Indigo.

Fellow Spirit ALPA Pilots,

This morning, I sent the following letter to Ted Christie on behalf of the MEC:

Ted,
In JetBlue’s Schedule 14A SEC filing dated May 16, 2022, it is stated that “on April 19, 2022, members of JetBlue leadership and Spirit’s senior management team, along with representatives from Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Barclays, held a conference call to discuss various financial due diligence items, including Spirit’s five-year plan, Spirit’s revenue and cost drivers, and Spirit’s order book growth and aircraft financing strategy. During the meeting, JetBlue and Spirit discussed Spirit’s financial projections underpinning the transaction with Frontier included in the Spirit Definitive Proxy Statement, focusing on Spirit’s unrealistic assumptions, especially with respect to costs associated with personnel attrition and wage inflation, which did not contemplate any wage increases for team members, including pilots, at a time of high attrition and an anticipated shortage of pilots.”
I am deeply troubled by this information as it appears that either Spirit is not being transparent with its shareholders, or it is not contemplating any wage increases for pilots as part of its financial projections.
Ted, I am requesting you please explain these statements. My MEC and my pilots deserve answers.
Sincerely,
Captain Ryan P. Muller

Your MEC wants to emphasize and reiterate that we are completely agnostic on whether Spirit Airlines pairs with JetBlue or Frontier or remains independent. Our obligation and focus is on serving the interests of the ALPA-represented pilots of Spirit Airlines. We have heard from many of you and know that you are in the process of evaluating your career choices. As you proceed in this endeavor you deserve to know what our management has publicly stated to the industry and its shareholders about the future of our pilot group. And, you deserve an explanation of these statements. If Spirit’s management team projects a future that does not contemplate the timely bargaining of an agreement to achieve significant, market-based compensation increases for our pilots we believe you deserve to know.

In Unity,

SPA MEC

SoCalFlyer

Wed May 18, 2022 6:32 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Let’s read between the lines. TWU is afraid of having to have a vote off with AFA to see which union stays. It would be an expensive campaign for them, and they have a huge risk of loosing out on millions of dollars a year if jetblue FAs decide to go with AFA. That’s the only reason his response was so hostile. And I can tell you that the FAs at jetblue ass PISSED at what John Samuelson said. Jetblue might have its issues, but their employees would never call the company “horrific”.

sxf24

Wed May 18, 2022 6:56 pm

SoCalFlyer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Let’s read between the lines. TWU is afraid of having to have a vote off with AFA to see which union stays. It would be an expensive campaign for them, and they have a huge risk of loosing out on millions of dollars a year if jetblue FAs decide to go with AFA. That’s the only reason his response was so hostile. And I can tell you that the FAs at jetblue ass PISSED at what John Samuelson said. Jetblue might have its issues, but their employees would never call the company “horrific”.

If there are individual FAs that disagree with their union’s statement, they need to take that up with TWU. The reality is that TWU was elected to represent the interests of their members and the presumption should be their statement is representative of those interest.

tb727

Wed May 18, 2022 7:08 pm

SoCalFlyer wrote:
This was sent by SPIRITS ALPA to their CEO. And, WOW! I think they are not thrilled about having to go back and work for Indigo.

I don't quite read it like that, but it is an interesting take. Without a JCBA nothing is going through. Pilots aren't going to vote for a combined contract with the current pay rates while everyone else is accelerating well past. Awaiting Ted's answers, if he even gives them to this.

GlobalAirways

Wed May 18, 2022 7:09 pm

SoCalFlyer wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
Talking about last act of desperation on B6, time to let it go….

JetBlue is conducting business. Plain and simple. They do not have to let anything go until a decision is made by the owners of Spirit. Your calling it a “act of desperation “ is a bit of a stretch.

Thank you for this!!! YOU'RE RIGHT!!! Business is business and it's smart to go directly to the shareholder (the true owners of Spirit) to allow them to make a decision.

usflyer msp

Wed May 18, 2022 7:16 pm

sxf24 wrote:
SoCalFlyer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

If there are individual FAs that disagree with their union’s statement, they need to take that up with TWU. The reality is that TWU was elected to represent the interests of their members and the presumption should be their statement is representative of those interest.

John Samuelson has a history of making ridiculous hyperbolic hostile public statements...and then losing. See his work with AA mechanics for several examples.

JFKalumni

Wed May 18, 2022 7:17 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Because “the department” knows most FAs aren’t exactly experts in evaluating whether or not a business deal is anti-competitive. It doesn’t really matter what most employees think…be it flight attendants, pilots, mechanics, etc. It’s based first on the shareholder vote June 10th, then on the merits of leadership/lawyers’ arguments and how they are perceived. Jetblue makes a pretty compelling case why it isn’t anticompetitive (the main argument is that broader competition against the big 3 is more important than a larger ULCC airline for consumers, and whatever ULCC gaps exist after this merger can easily be filled by F9/G4/MX/SY/XP). Not sure why what a flight attendants union says matters. It’s like when a union puts out a vote of no confidence in leadership, it’s not like the feds come in and say “hey! He must go!”

Yes you’re correct but remember this current administration is focusing on union protection. It’s probably safe to say members of the AFA and TWU lobbying group are already working behind the scenes to prevent B6/NK from happening. Especially after public outcry.

ObadiahPlainman

Wed May 18, 2022 7:25 pm

The saber rattling is growing louder. And it probably will remain so given the diametrically opposing forces (labor specifically) at play.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos