Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VS11

Re: JetBlue Makes Hostile Takeover Offer for Spirit

Tue May 24, 2022 8:13 am

LAXintl wrote:
I am not sure there is anyone today that can with a straight face says we have "too much" capacity domestically to warrant the dismemberment of a strong competitor as JetBlue proposes.

I think there is a domestic overcapacity situation brewing in the US. In the next couple of years, it will be airlines catching up to their natural 1% of US GDP (per Doug Parker) but then there will be tons of new aircraft coming in to Breeze, Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, jetBlue, not to mention the big 4, which may decide to delay certain aircraft retirements/replacements.

Polot

Tue May 24, 2022 10:34 am

VS11 wrote:
janders wrote:
My $0.02

JetBlue acquisition will remove one of their stronger competitors and reduce marketplace competition.

A Frontier deal will create a much stonger and viable national ULCC.

Todays JetBlue is far from the darling a decade ago and has lost it way.
This proposal which has a ton of airline and finance experts shaking their head at is just the latest sign of how lost they are in my view.
They should focus and fix their own operation before dreaming of a merger that surely will run into roadblocks.

Of the 3 carriers - B6, NK, F9 - it is Frontier under the most competitive pressure. Hence, why they initiated the merger. You only need to look at the threads in this forum regarding their network/routes to see the eyebrow raising about their strategy.

JetBlue on the other hand has been hitting the sweet spot for decades - targeting overall affluent, middle to upper middle class customers with a value product. This strategy (made very successful by Virgin Atlantic Upper Class, subsequently copied by literally every long haul airline by expanding the business class offering at the expense of First Class, and of course the launch of Premium Economy) is now applied by JetBlue over the Atlantic and is largely copied by Delta in their massive premium product investments especially for the Boston market - it is no accident that Delta’s brand new A321 NEOs are based in Boston.

So, jetBlue has not lost its way. It knows where the money is and has been milking it for decades. Spirit is a good airline, well established in its niche, it is Frontier that has been challenged for decades even before Indigo came along. Frontier will be further pressured by Avelo, Breeze and Allegiant as these carriers appear to be focusing on underserved markets for now, something that Frontier was trying to do by the frequent launch and discontinuation of routes.

You are too focused on product and not financials. JetBlue certainly has not been “milking it for decades”. That’s not to say they have been doing horribly, but their financial performance has long been middle of the road at best.

Prior to Covid (and post ULCC transformation) F9 was routinely outperforming B6.

F9 may have publicly initiated the merger first but if you believe JetBlue they say they have been talking to Spirit about merging for years.

Mainland

Tue May 24, 2022 12:27 pm

santi319 wrote:
rj777 wrote:
So did anything substantial come out of that webcast?

I found this interesting:

Elsewhere, executives clarified that if the deal with Frontier is not consummated, the airline would revert to a standalone carrier.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3841988-s ... icited-bid

Is this normal? To have basically like a “either vote for what we want or lose it all” technique allowed? Can jetBlue and the shareholders do something with this sort of comments?

A board is always going to say "it's in the best interests of shareholders" to do/vote for any merger they endorse. Sprit here is just saying the converse "soft part" of that standpoint out loud here in "if you don't support, you get nothing and we go back to square one." However, the JetBlue tender offer for Spirit shares runs until June 30, so there's an immediate "fall back" option for Spirit shareholders if the vote fails and Frontier walks away.

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 12:38 pm

VS11 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
I am not sure there is anyone today that can with a straight face says we have "too much" capacity domestically to warrant the dismemberment of a strong competitor as JetBlue proposes.

I think there is a domestic overcapacity situation brewing in the US. In the next couple of years, it will be airlines catching up to their natural 1% of US GDP (per Doug Parker) but then there will be tons of new aircraft coming in to Breeze, Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, jetBlue, not to mention the big 4, which may decide to delay certain aircraft retirements/replacements.

Is your rationale a reason to remove ULCC capacity from the market and enable higher fares?

I think the DOJ cares more about perceived consumer financial benefit than avoiding overcapacity.

fastmover

Tue May 24, 2022 1:15 pm

LAXintl wrote:
fastmover wrote:
But what are they going to do with those assets?
They are going to dismember it but use that to grow across the country. There is a difference. And again you assume everywhere spirit and F9 overlap they will maintain the same “amount of seats”

According to Airline Weekly, just reconfiguring the current NK 320 and 321 fleets into B6 configurations and based on B6 rates of utilization would mean a loss of over 8mil annual seats from the U.S. marketplace. Add in the hundreds of aircraft Spirit has on order, the impact of B6 takeover becomes quite significant.

It’s not like JetBlue won’t use those planes to grow. Also I was told on here the F9 would be fine either way and grow into the areas that JetBlue might leave. Interesting how that works yet not.

santi319

Tue May 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Mainland wrote:
santi319 wrote:
rj777 wrote:
So did anything substantial come out of that webcast?

I found this interesting:

Elsewhere, executives clarified that if the deal with Frontier is not consummated, the airline would revert to a standalone carrier.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3841988-s ... icited-bid

Is this normal? To have basically like a “either vote for what we want or lose it all” technique allowed? Can jetBlue and the shareholders do something with this sort of comments?

A board is always going to say "it's in the best interests of shareholders" to do/vote for any merger they endorse. Sprit here is just saying the converse "soft part" of that standpoint out loud here in "if you don't support, you get nothing and we go back to square one." However, the JetBlue tender offer for Spirit shares runs until June 30, so there's an immediate "fall back" option for Spirit shareholders if the vote fails and Frontier walks away.

Thank you! This was the explanation I was seeking.

TYWoolman

Tue May 24, 2022 1:27 pm

Polot wrote:

F9 may have publicly initiated the merger first but if you believe JetBlue they say they have been talking to Spirit about merging for years.

But at same time throughout all those years they made a play for Virgin America and not Spirit? They low-balled/didn't do their homework and lost to Alaska. Evidence B6 might only be interested in scuttling mergers or not getting financials rights in regards to NK. The synergies of B6/Virgin America would have been stellar.

Polot

Tue May 24, 2022 1:30 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
Polot wrote:

But at same time throughout all those years they made a play for Virgin America and not Spirit? They low-balled/didn't do their homework and lost to Alaska. Evidence B6 might only be interested in scuttling mergers or not getting financials rights in regards to NK. The synergies of B6/Virgin America would have been stellar.

I don’t think B6 lowballed Virgin America. IMO Alaska overpaid to block a B6/VX merger, which indeed would have had great synergy and given B6 a good foothold in the west coast in competition to AS.

santi319

Tue May 24, 2022 1:31 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
Polot wrote:

Spirit of 2016 was not the same as now believe it or not. The synergies of a combined B6/NK will give the majors a run for the money.

Also even on a VX/B6 merger they would have to
retrofit etc just like with NK.

TYWoolman

Tue May 24, 2022 1:38 pm

Polot wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
Polot wrote:

I don’t think B6 lowballed Virgin America. IMO Alaska overpaid to block a B6/VX merger, which indeed would have had great synergy and given B6 a good foothold in the west coast in competition to AS.

Maybe. But either way "overpaying" would have been more digestable for B6 then Alaska given the synergies. And I think B6 should have went for it. Virgin America had a good brand with A320's. Easy migration to B6.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 1:40 pm

Polot wrote:
VS11 wrote:
janders wrote:
My $0.02

JetBlue acquisition will remove one of their stronger competitors and reduce marketplace competition.

A Frontier deal will create a much stonger and viable national ULCC.

Todays JetBlue is far from the darling a decade ago and has lost it way.
This proposal which has a ton of airline and finance experts shaking their head at is just the latest sign of how lost they are in my view.
They should focus and fix their own operation before dreaming of a merger that surely will run into roadblocks.

Of the 3 carriers - B6, NK, F9 - it is Frontier under the most competitive pressure. Hence, why they initiated the merger. You only need to look at the threads in this forum regarding their network/routes to see the eyebrow raising about their strategy.

JetBlue on the other hand has been hitting the sweet spot for decades - targeting overall affluent, middle to upper middle class customers with a value product. This strategy (made very successful by Virgin Atlantic Upper Class, subsequently copied by literally every long haul airline by expanding the business class offering at the expense of First Class, and of course the launch of Premium Economy) is now applied by JetBlue over the Atlantic and is largely copied by Delta in their massive premium product investments especially for the Boston market - it is no accident that Delta’s brand new A321 NEOs are based in Boston.

So, jetBlue has not lost its way. It knows where the money is and has been milking it for decades. Spirit is a good airline, well established in its niche, it is Frontier that has been challenged for decades even before Indigo came along. Frontier will be further pressured by Avelo, Breeze and Allegiant as these carriers appear to be focusing on underserved markets for now, something that Frontier was trying to do by the frequent launch and discontinuation of routes.

You are too focused on product and not financials. JetBlue certainly has not been “milking it for decades”. That’s not to say they have been doing horribly, but their financial performance has long been middle of the road at best.

Prior to Covid (and post ULCC transformation) F9 was routinely outperforming B6.

jetBlue has been a sustainable business for over 20 years. They have not been aggressive in their growth, which is probably why they are still around. When current Frontier will have been around for 20 years without bankruptcy we can take a look and compare financial performance. Until then it is a one trick pony riding a bull market driven by increased money supply, low interest rates and tax cuts. It ain't a unicorn, sorry.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 pm

sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Is your rationale a reason to remove ULCC capacity from the market and enable higher fares?

I think the DOJ cares more about perceived consumer financial benefit than avoiding overcapacity.

I don't think that ULCC capacity will be substantially reduced. There is no vacuum in the marketplace - those ULCC seats are offered by every airline on every flight. Fares will be rising one way or another due to inflation, increased demand and reduced supply per crew shortages.

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 2:39 pm

fastmover wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
fastmover wrote:
But what are they going to do with those assets?
They are going to dismember it but use that to grow across the country. There is a difference. And again you assume everywhere spirit and F9 overlap they will maintain the same “amount of seats”

According to Airline Weekly, just reconfiguring the current NK 320 and 321 fleets into B6 configurations and based on B6 rates of utilization would mean a loss of over 8mil annual seats from the U.S. marketplace. Add in the hundreds of aircraft Spirit has on order, the impact of B6 takeover becomes quite significant.

It’s not like JetBlue won’t use those planes to grow. Also I was told on here the F9 would be fine either way and grow into the areas that JetBlue might leave. Interesting how that works yet not.

JetBlue’s network may grow with the integration of the NK fleet, but the net number of seats in the market will shrink due to reconfiguration of airplanes and lower utilization.

VS11 wrote:
Polot wrote:
VS11 wrote:

jetBlue has been a sustainable business for over 20 years. They have not been aggressive in their growth, which is probably why they are still around. When current Frontier will have been around for 20 years without bankruptcy we can take a look and compare financial performance. Until then it is a one trick pony riding a bull market driven by increased money supply, low interest rates and tax cuts. It ain't a unicorn, sorry.

You’re correct that B6 has a longer track record than F9. However, the more recent growth and earnings trends show very different trajectories.

It’s also intellectually dishonest to attribute F9’s growth to the macro environment. While they certainly benefitted from attractive lease rates, it was in the same market that every other airline participated. As rates and fuel go up, F9’s exposure is no different than any other airline. In fact, there’s a pretty strong case to be made that ULCCs are better positioned to navigate a recession than higher cost airlines that are more dependent on achieving leading yields.

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

I don't think that ULCC capacity will be substantially reduced. There is no vacuum in the marketplace - those ULCC seats are offered by every airline on every flight. Fares will be rising one way or another due to inflation, increased demand and reduced supply per crew shortages.

Sure, that is possible but ULCC will be immediately removed with a merger and that’s what regulators focus on. They don’t know if Breeze, Avelo, Allegiant or other airlines will be successful and growing.

FiscAutTecGarte

Tue May 24, 2022 3:35 pm

VS11 wrote:

why should our access to affordable fares always come from the startups with limited route structure? why can't a mature ULCC like F9/NK be allowed to emerge and provide full affordable service nationwide?

now I've never flown them, becuase, well none of them alone have a route structure that permits me to start at my desired Pt A and get to my desired Pt B. A strong ULCC competitor to the Big4 might do that.

PA727

Tue May 24, 2022 4:02 pm

Somebody help me understand how NK merging with B6 is bad for the marketplace? Every time something comes up, people on both sides scream "THE END IS NIGH", when in the long run - at least in the U.S. aviation industry - the gloom and doom never comes to pass.

Now understand, my argument here is from the POV of the consumer, not employees, since assuming contracts are worked out, the consumer is the focus of the DOJ.

Should NK and B6 merge, we will have MORE competition between the majors, with AA, DL, UA and WN all facing a new challenger. Of course, that will also have the dual effect of speeding up the race to the bottom while on the other side, allowing for more innovation and better fares. Seems like the usual trade-off, and price-wise a win for the consumer. Long run, more competition and incremental change while fares are kept somewhat in check.

Now, let's move to the ULCC space, where there will be a giant void. Sure, it might be tough for the short-term as the existing ULCC's scramble to fill the markets abandoned and increase their footprints. But they surely won't sit static, the smart ones will seize the opportunity and grow. The great thing about the free market (since we routinely focus on the bad) is if there's money to be made, someone will fill the void. Whether it's an established player or investment groups just looking to burn cash on a startup.

I'm a pragmatic person by nature, but in my estimation, travel options for Americans have improved drastically over the years in terms of price, destinations, options and if you want to pay for them, luxurious amenities. Aside from the dips in the economy that happen everywhere, all the time, there has never been a better time to be an American traveler. This is mainly because of the free market, expansion and contraction.

I know our system isn't perfect and it's driven by greed, but in the end, it does work better than anything else. I see either merger having a positive effect in the long-term, I just happen to believe the NK/B6 merger offers more green space and disruption to the system, therefore I like it more. I don't claim to have all the answers, but that's my take based on history and logic.

Abeam79

Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 pm

PA727 wrote:
Somebody help me understand how NK merging with B6 is bad for the marketplace? Every time something comes up, people on both sides scream "THE END IS NIGH", when in the long run - at least in the U.S. aviation industry - the gloom and doom never comes to pass.

Now understand, my argument here is from the POV of the consumer, not employees, since assuming contracts are worked out, the consumer is the focus of the DOJ.

Should NK and B6 merge, we will have MORE competition between the majors, with AA, DL, UA and WN all facing a new challenger. Of course, that will also have the dual effect of speeding up the race to the bottom while on the other side, allowing for more innovation and better fares. Seems like the usual trade-off, and price-wise a win for the consumer. Long run, more competition and incremental change while fares are kept somewhat in check.

Now, let's move to the ULCC space, where there will be a giant void. Sure, it might be tough for the short-term as the existing ULCC's scramble to fill the markets abandoned and increase their footprints. But they surely won't sit static, the smart ones will seize the opportunity and grow. The great thing about the free market (since we routinely focus on the bad) is if there's money to be made, someone will fill the void. Whether it's an established player or investment groups just looking to burn cash on a startup.

I'm a pragmatic person by nature, but in my estimation, travel options for Americans have improved drastically over the years in terms of price, destinations, options and if you want to pay for them, luxurious amenities. Aside from the dips in the economy that happen everywhere, all the time, there has never been a better time to be an American traveler. This is mainly because of the free market, expansion and contraction.

I know our system isn't perfect and it's driven by greed, but in the end, it does work better than anything else. I see either merger having a positive effect in the long-term, I just happen to believe the NK/B6 merger offers more green space and disruption to the system, therefore I like it more. I don't claim to have all the answers, but that's my take based on history and logic.

I think your assessment hit the nail on the head, and thus why B6 is thinking it will be better as a bigger airline emerging out of NK/B6 rather than a smaller (Smaller combines F9/NK vs Nk/B6) will be better for the market overall. If we all truly believe in a free market, then let it play out its course. IF B6 acquires NK, the free market will evolve with more ULCC's to fill in the space. As was always done in the past. What the market really needs more of now is a true challenger to the legacies that control 80% of the market, rather than just a bigger ULCC.

airportugal310

Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm

PA727 wrote:

Your perspective cuts out the fanboyism and thus is likely fairly spot on

usflyer msp

Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 pm

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

I'm still confused as to why you think basic economy = ULCC seats. It is not the same thing. The other carriers only offer this in reaction to ULCC presence so I'd the ULCC presence is greatly diminished, why would the other carriers continue to have this offering?

Vicenza

Tue May 24, 2022 6:44 pm

[quote="VS11"those ULCC seats are offered by every airline on every flight. Fares will be rising one way or another due to inflation, increased demand and reduced supply per crew shortages.[/quote]

ULCC is being bandied about so much now that I wonder if some of you know what it actually is. What, in your opinion, is a 'ULCC seat'? Considering it designates a type of airline how are such seats offered by every airline on every flight?

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Abeam79 wrote:
PA727 wrote:

I think your assessment hit the nail on the head, and thus why B6 is thinking it will be better as a bigger airline emerging out of NK/B6 rather than a smaller (Smaller combines F9/NK vs Nk/B6) will be better for the market overall. If we all truly believe in a free market, then let it play out its course. IF B6 acquires NK, the free market will evolve with more ULCC's to fill in the space. As was always done in the past. What the market really needs more of now is a true challenger to the legacies that control 80% of the market, rather than just a bigger ULCC.

Free market would be NK’s board and shareholders getting to decide what they think is best for their interests, which may not be merging with B6.

Of course, commercial aviation is highly regulated and mergers are subject to anti-trust reviews. Thus, there are considerations beyond accepting the offer with the highest price and letting it play out.

luckyone

Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 pm

Vicenza wrote:
[quote="VS11"those ULCC seats are offered by every airline on every flight. Fares will be rising one way or another due to inflation, increased demand and reduced supply per crew shortages.

ULCC is being bandied about so much now that I wonder if some of you know what it actually is. What, in your opinion, is a 'ULCC seat'? Considering it designates a type of airline how are such seats offered by every airline on every flight?[/quote]
While the term could be better-defined, it's pretty clear that the poster is referencing the majors basic economy fares, which literally entitle the purchaser to a seat, and everything else has been unbundled in line with ULCC. The one thing an unbundled fare on a major would provide that an ULCC wouldn't is free entertainment.

tphuang

Tue May 24, 2022 7:17 pm

I'm surprised that no one has posted this, but at least some NK shareholders are not happy. We will see how the June 10th vote goes. If this vote does not go through, I don't see how NK board can stick around.
https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2022 ... -frontier/

Polot

Tue May 24, 2022 7:51 pm

tphuang wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has posted this, but at least some NK shareholders are not happy. We will see how the June 10th vote goes. If this vote does not go through, I don't see how NK board can stick around.

You will never find a situation where all the shareholders are happy, and mergers frequently bring out the lawsuits. It’s too hard to make a judgement about general shareholder opinion from a lawsuit from a small single individual shareholder.

Edit: Her attorney is purposely trying to find shareholders to sue NK (to get money). See: https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-r ... -SAVE.html

They were also courting shareholders looking to sue the LHC Group…: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... -SAVE.html

…which Miriam Nathan also gladly took up on: https://dockets.justia.com/docket/new-y ... 580214?amp

I doubt Miriam Nathan cares either way about what Spirit (or LHC Group) does: they are just hoping a little bit of cash gets thrown their way.
Last edited by Polot on Tue May 24, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 7:52 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I'm still confused as to why you think basic economy = ULCC seats. It is not the same thing. The other carriers only offer this in reaction to ULCC presence so I'd the ULCC presence is greatly diminished, why would the other carriers continue to have this offering?

It is the same thing. ULCC carriers simply have entire aircraft with basic fare seats, while the others have a limited number of such seats. As to the other question: because it appears there is demand for it. All of the airlines are now setup to offer it so why would they discontinue it if there is demand for it?

RyanairGuru

Tue May 24, 2022 8:05 pm

VS11 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

It is the same thing. ULCC carriers simply have entire aircraft with basic fare seats, while the others have a limited number of such seats. As to the other question: because it appears there is demand for it. All of the airlines are now setup to offer it so why would they discontinue it if there is demand for it?

Basic economics and profit maximisation.

If there is not a lower cost competitor why lower your price? If you could sell 180 tickets for $250 or more without a low fare competitor, nobody will offer 30 of those tickets for $110 just because they’re feeling generous.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 8:05 pm

luckyone wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
[quote="VS11] "those ULCC seats are offered by every airline on every flight. Fares will be rising one way or another due to inflation, increased demand and reduced supply per crew shortages.[/quote]

ULCC is being bandied about so much now that I wonder if some of you know what it actually is. What, in your opinion, is a 'ULCC seat'? Considering it designates a type of airline how are such seats offered by every airline on every flight?[/quote]

While the term could be better-defined, it's pretty clear that the poster is referencing the majors basic economy fares, which literally entitle the purchaser to a seat, and everything else has been unbundled in line with ULCC. The one thing an unbundled fare on a major would provide that an ULCC wouldn't is free entertainment.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

That's exactly right. The essence of the ULCC model is that everything is unbundled and you pay for what you need, even though you have different packages that provide savings, which are typically offered if you are member of a club for which you pay a fee. If you travel often, a club membership is beneficial.

ULCC carriers offer unbundled (basic economy) fares for the entire aircraft, the rest have a limited number of those.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 8:19 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
VS11 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Basic economics and profit maximisation.

If there is not a lower cost competitor why lower your price? If you could sell 180 tickets for $250 or more without a low fare competitor, nobody will offer 30 of those tickets for $110 just because they’re feeling generous.

You can rest assured that in your example the ULCC carriers will not be offering $110 tickets either if they know other carriers are getting $250. Nobody is a fool. The price discovery process of how much the market will bear has become very sophisticated and accurate. ULCC's are in the business of maximizing profit too and will not leave money on the table.

TYWoolman

Tue May 24, 2022 8:40 pm

PA727 wrote:

A great perspective on the entire system and brilliant analysis for sure and not to debunk that logic entirely but (imo):
1) a larger merged B6 will forever more resemble a ULCC in its lack of international breadth and scope and therefore could not achieve the most meaningful disruption to the legacies while still then forever denying 50% of a ULCC disruptor (NK) the organic opportunity to compete in the market across ALL spectrums. Competing for legacy frequent flyers (what legacy consumers have become) will need true incentives to jump ship to make any meaningful dent to the depth you hope a merged B6 would achieve, yet B6 will be lacking.
2) In order for B6 to achieve such depth it would have to succeed in forming an alliance with a legacy that has international reach (or a foreign partner alternative), yet I do not see how DOJ can approve that prerequisite step only to then justify a further merger on the premise of creating more competition for the legacies (unless it was a foreign partner, perhaps) because approving and almost condoning the alignment of two U.S. entities (one of which is already a legacy) in order to achieve more domestic competition (via subsequent NK merger approval) SHOULD BE DOJ's ULTIMATE CONUNDRUM (let alone wiping out a tried and true ULCC in the process.)
Therefore in this current environment:
3) A larger ULCC will truly be the game-changing disruptor because that model does not require any anti-competitive alliance approval to achieve meaningful legacy scale as it does not closely resemble the legacy model nor pretend to, and therefore will not be tempted to be too many things to too many customers that would make cost creep and higher fares inevitable.
4) Two large ULCC companies merging to form a larger ULCC network for more communities has not been done before and should be given that opportunity, further allowing and ensuring legacies will compete with a basic economy fare in more places, something not guaranteed with an enlarged B6 "intermediate" model.
Last edited by TYWoolman on Tue May 24, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 8:46 pm

tphuang wrote:

This was going to happen for sure. Moreover, jetBlue conveniently educated Spirit shareholders that they can have the Delaware court appoint an outside appraiser to come up with a "fair" share price, which will be paid to the dissenting shareholders post-merger 100% in cash. Section 262 of Delaware General Corporation Law.

usflyer msp

Tue May 24, 2022 8:50 pm

VS11 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
[quote="VS11] "those ULCC seats are offered by every airline on every flight. Fares will be rising one way or another due to inflation, increased demand and reduced supply per crew shortages.[/quote]

While the term could be better-defined, it's pretty clear that the poster is referencing the majors basic economy fares, which literally entitle the purchaser to a seat, and everything else has been unbundled in line with ULCC. The one thing an unbundled fare on a major would provide that an ULCC wouldn't is free entertainment.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

That's exactly right. The essence of the ULCC model is that everything is unbundled and you pay for what you need, even though you have different packages that provide savings, which are typically offered if you are member of a club for which you pay a fee. If you travel often, a club membership is beneficial.

ULCC carriers offer unbundled (basic economy) fares for the entire aircraft, the rest have a limited number of those.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

The essence of the ULCC model is low costs, which the major carriers do not have. They are not going to offer money losing fares for no reason.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 9:13 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
VS11 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

The essence of the ULCC model is low costs, which the major carriers do not have. They are not going to offer money losing fares for no reason.

Well, the motto of Spirit is "Home of the Bare Fare". Bare Fare = Basic Economy Fare.

And nobody is offering money-losing fares. It is very naive if you really believe that. If a market is consistently unprofitable it won't be served.

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 9:24 pm

VS11 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
VS11 wrote:

Well, the motto of Spirit is "Home of the Bare Fare". Bare Fare = Basic Economy Fare.

And nobody is offering money-losing fares. It is very naive if you really believe that. If a market is consistently unprofitable it won't be served.

All of the airlines have been unprofitable. Are the fares not money loosing? ;)

Think the basis of the ULCC argument is that they can profitably offer lower fares, e.g. F9 had an average fare of $53 and NK $55 in 2019, compared to $182 for B6.

F9 and NK can offer fares like this because their costs are 2/3rd of B6’s.

PA727

Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
PA727 wrote:

A great perspective on the entire system and brilliant analysis for sure and not to debunk that logic entirely but (imo):
1) a larger merged B6 will forever more resemble a ULCC in its lack of international breadth and scope and therefore could not achieve the most meaningful disruption to the legacies while still then forever denying 50% of a ULCC disruptor (NK) the organic opportunity to compete in the market across ALL spectrums. Competing for legacy frequent flyers (what legacy consumers have become) will need true incentives to jump ship to make any meaningful dent to the depth you hope a merged B6 would achieve, yet B6 will be lacking.
2) In order for B6 to achieve such depth it would have to succeed in forming an alliance with a legacy that has international reach (or a foreign partner alternative), yet I do not see how DOJ can approve that prerequisite step only to then justify a further merger on the premise of creating more competition for the legacies (unless it was a foreign partner, perhaps) because approving and almost condoning the alignment of two U.S. entities (one of which is already a legacy) in order to achieve more domestic competition (via subsequent NK merger approval) SHOULD BE DOJ's ULTIMATE CONUNDRUM (let alone wiping out a tried and true ULCC in the process.)
3) A larger ULCC will truly be the game-changing disruptor because that model does not require any anti-competitive alliance approval to achieve meaningful legacy scale as it does not closely resemble the legacy model nor pretend to, and therefore will not be tempted to be too many things to too many customers that would make cost creep and higher fares inevitable.
4) Two large ULCC companies merging to form a larger ULCC network for more communities has not been done before and should be given that opportunity, further allowing and ensuring legacies will compete with a basic economy fare in more places, something not guaranteed with an enlarged B6 "intermediate" model.

You raise several good points I didn't consider, which I appreciate. Again, I think this highlights the resiliency of the market, which was the basis of my point. There are always eager players happy to jump into whichever void is created and, in the end, all will be well. But again, definitely see the validity of your points.

travaz

Tue May 24, 2022 9:37 pm

If I was a stock holder of NK I would prefer the F9/NK merger. I think a B6 / NK merger will increase revenue for B6 incrementally gaining planes and pilots. I think NK/F9 would increase market share and revenue on a large scale. B6 will decimate NK but NK/F9 will be able to compete with all of the other airlines because their cost will remain low and gain scale, which wont happen at B6.

william

Tue May 24, 2022 9:39 pm

travaz wrote:
If I was a stock holder of NK I would prefer the F9/NK merger. I think a B6 / NK merger will increase revenue for B6 incrementally gaining planes and pilots. I think NK/F9 would increase market share and revenue on a large scale. B6 will decimate NK but NK/F9 will be able to compete with all of the other airlines because their cost will remain low which wont happen at B6.

Why would you care as long as you got paid as a stockholder? Whether Frontier or JetBlue pays.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 9:42 pm

sxf24 wrote:
Think the basis of the ULCC argument is that they can profitably offer lower fares, e.g. F9 had an average fare of $53 and NK $55 in 2019, compared to $182 for B6.

I doubt this is in the same market. If it is, then F9 and NK should fire their revenue managers as they would be able to charge more and still fill the planes. However, comparing "just" fares is misleading in this case. F9/NK fares do not include bags and other items so it is not really a true comparison. You will have to allocate all ancillary fees that F9/NK charge back to each ticket sold in order to have somewhat of a meaningful comparison. In other words, you will need to use the concept of "total cost of ownership" in order to see what it really costs a passenger to fly F9/NK.

In the end of the day, NK/F9 are trying to charge as much as they can get away with, just like the other carriers.

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 9:43 pm

william wrote:
travaz wrote:
If I was a stock holder of NK I would prefer the F9/NK merger. I think a B6 / NK merger will increase revenue for B6 incrementally gaining planes and pilots. I think NK/F9 would increase market share and revenue on a large scale. B6 will decimate NK but NK/F9 will be able to compete with all of the other airlines because their cost will remain low which wont happen at B6.

Why would you care as long as you got paid as a stockholder? Whether Frontier or JetBlue pays.

It’s an issue of HOW you are paid and WHETHER you are paid. Some stockholders may prefer the cash offer from B6, which NK claims has a lower probability of closing. Some stockholders may prefer to have the equity upside and cash that comes with the F9 merger, which NK claims has a higher probability of closing.

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 pm

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

I doubt this is in the same market. If it is, then F9 and NK should fire their revenue managers as they would be able to charge more and still fill the planes. However, comparing "just" fares is misleading in this case. F9/NK fares do not include bags and other items so it is not really a true comparison. You will have to allocate all ancillary fees that F9/NK charge back to each ticket sold in order to have somewhat of a meaningful comparison. In other words, you will need to use the concept of "total cost of ownership" in order to see what it really costs a passenger to fly F9/NK.

In the end of the day, NK/F9 are trying to charge as much as they can get away with, just like the other carriers.

These are average system fares. The entire premise of the ULCC business model is that you stimulate markets and/or pick up spill traffic with lower fares.

I would agree that ancillary revenue narrows the gap, but the cold, hard reality is that F9 and NK (plus G4) have significantly lower costs than B6 and other airlines which allows them to be profitable at lower fares.

TYWoolman

Tue May 24, 2022 9:58 pm

PA727 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
PA727 wrote:

You raise several good points I didn't consider, which I appreciate. Again, I think this highlights the resiliency of the market, which was the basis of my point. There are always eager players happy to jump into whichever void is created and, in the end, all will be well. But again, definitely see the validity of your points.

Airline industry is definitely resilient. And I will add that B6/NK wouldn't be bad for the marketplace per se, but in comparison to F9's easier regulatory hurdles, better overall synergies, ability to offer injection of unprecedented vitality in the ULCC space, and ability to challenge the legacies without an anti-trust lawsuit, it is inferior.

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 9:59 pm

sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

These are average system fares. The entire premise of the ULCC business model is that you stimulate markets and/or pick up spill traffic with lower fares.

I would agree that ancillary revenue narrows the gap, but the cold, hard reality is that F9 and NK (plus G4) have significantly lower costs than B6 and other airlines which allows them to be profitable at lower fares.

Their costs might be lower now but they will keep going up and up with each year. Especially, in the current labor environment, it is difficult to see how they will be able to hire and keep crews if they are not paying market rates. It is an employee market now and will be for some time. Who is going to fly all of the F9/NK 321 NEOs?

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 10:06 pm

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

Their costs might be lower now but they will keep going up and up with each year. Especially, in the current labor environment, it is difficult to see how they will be able to hire and keep crews if they are not paying market rates. It is an employee market now and will be for some time. Who is going to fly all of the F9/NK 321 NEOs?

You keep on introducing macroeconomic considerations like they’re only applicable to F9/NK, but B6/NK would some how be immune.

Is the labor market different for ULCCs?

VS11

Tue May 24, 2022 10:23 pm

sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

You keep on introducing macroeconomic considerations like they’re only applicable to F9/NK, but B6/NK would some how be immune.

No, it is not. I was talking about the diminishing competitive advantage of the ULCC carriers in a tough labor market when they have so many new planes coming in.

airplaneboy

Tue May 24, 2022 10:42 pm

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

No, it is not. I was talking about the diminishing competitive advantage of the ULCC carriers in a tough labor market when they have so many new planes coming in.

This is a significant factor to consider. The ULCC model in the US is a niche in my opinion. And with what airport real estate will all those new aircraft on order be parking at between NK and F9? Most gates are already spoken for at the majority of large and medium sized airports in the US…

usflyer msp

Tue May 24, 2022 10:44 pm

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

You say that as if labor is the only reason ULCC's have lower costs.

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 10:54 pm

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

Raising wages and providing ample advancement opportunities can help attract pilots. SY said it’s new pilot agreement added <$0.01 to its CASM.

B6 is also struggling to higher pilots and has lots of planes coming in. Why is this not an issue for them and their ability to compete on costs as a “value carrier” against the majors?

tphuang

Tue May 24, 2022 10:59 pm

sxf24 wrote:
william wrote:
travaz wrote:

It’s an issue of HOW you are paid and WHETHER you are paid. Some stockholders may prefer the cash offer from B6, which NK claims has a lower probability of closing. Some stockholders may prefer to have the equity upside and cash that comes with the F9 merger, which NK claims has a higher probability of closing.

No, that wasn't his argument.

His argument was not about probability of getting paid.

His argument for NK/F9 merger is due to his view that combined airline would be more successful. And he was rightfully called out for it.

sxf24

Tue May 24, 2022 11:31 pm

tphuang wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
william wrote:

No, that wasn't his argument.

His argument was not about probability of getting paid.

His argument for NK/F9 merger is due to his view that combined airline would be more successful. And he was rightfully called out for it.

I’m confused. If someone is saying shareholders shouldn’t care about the future as long as they get paid now, it is relevant to think about how you’re getting paid (all cash vs cash and stock) and the likelihood the offer is consummated.

If you are an investor that believes a successfully run ULCC a generates marketing leading returns, you would accept an offer that includes shares in the combined company even if the current value is less than the all stock offer. If you believe in the power of the JetBlue brand, in the capability of the JetBlue management team or have a different perspective on the airline industry as a whole, you would take the higher JetBlue cash offer.

fastmover

Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 am

sxf24 wrote:
fastmover wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

JetBlue’s network may grow with the integration of the NK fleet, but the net number of seats in the market will shrink due to reconfiguration of airplanes and lower utilization.

VS11 wrote:
Polot wrote:

You’re correct that B6 has a longer track record than F9. However, the more recent growth and earnings trends show very different trajectories.

It’s also intellectually dishonest to attribute F9’s growth to the macro environment. While they certainly benefitted from attractive lease rates, it was in the same market that every other airline participated. As rates and fuel go up, F9’s exposure is no different than any other airline. In fact, there’s a pretty strong case to be made that ULCCs are better positioned to navigate a recession than higher cost airlines that are more dependent on achieving leading yields.

VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Sure, that is possible but ULCC will be immediately removed with a merger and that’s what regulators focus on. They don’t know if Breeze, Avelo, Allegiant or other airlines will be successful and growing.

What is the utilization rate of planes between JetBlue and spirit because I know JetBlue loves loves redeyes they don’t let the fleet rest which tends to lead to other problems.

fastmover

Wed May 25, 2022 2:12 am

sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

All of the airlines have been unprofitable. Are the fares not money loosing? ;)

F9 and NK can offer fares like this because their costs are 2/3rd of B6’s.

Which is why spirit projecting 0 cost increases for all team members was fascinating

fastmover

Wed May 25, 2022 2:16 am

sxf24 wrote:
VS11 wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

The pilot contracts are. Right now blue has attrition but not on the level of spirit and F9

They will need to up the pay. The JetBlue ceo has admitted as much while spirit projects flat costs

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos