Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ObadiahPlainman
Topic Author

UA EWR employee assaulted

Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 pm

https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/23/united-a ... k-airport/

Despicable...

Airline employees on the front lines are so vulnerable, from agents to flight attendants, and I hate to see this. Absolutely the full brunt of the law should be applied here.

Coalways

Re: UA EWR employee assaulted

Mon May 23, 2022 4:59 pm

Looks more like a vendor employee for bag drops then a UA employee.... above wing doesn't wear black ties....

smokeybandit

Mon May 23, 2022 5:02 pm

There's more video out there that preceded that clip, but still doesn't seem to be the start of it

https://twitter.com/tigermelons/status/ ... gqLoyf_RMQ

Blerg

Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm

After watching the clip I think the title needs to be revised. From what I can see UA employee was the one who was provoking the passenger.

bluefrog

Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 pm

i've read about this elsewhere it seems the UA employee did start it but he's not with UA works for UGE who ever they are ,sorry i'm not up to date as to who works for who stateside ,anyway it also appears the other bloke is an ex NFL player

N1120A

Mon May 23, 2022 6:28 pm

bluefrog wrote:
i've read about this elsewhere it seems the UA employee did start it but he's not with UA works for UGE who ever they are ,sorry i'm not up to date as to who works for who stateside ,anyway it also appears the other bloke is an ex NFL player

UGE is United Ground Express and actually owned by United. They are paid garbage though, compared to ground employees actually employed by the airline.

tjerome

Mon May 23, 2022 6:36 pm

I'd be willing to wager that employee will be out of a job.

NLINK

Mon May 23, 2022 6:50 pm

This isn't the first time this has happened, it's just everyone has camera now. During my time at the airlines (people facing before moving up) I saw a coworker stabbed in the hand with scissors by a drunk guy over a lost bag, another coworker was punched my someone that showed up to late for a flight home and he did punch the guy back multiple times and I got hit in the head with a stapler for know reason by someone that missed a flight with another airlines and the person did get the return favor back to him.

I believe a Continental Airlines employee had permanent damage from being attacked in Newark but a mad person back in the early 2000's if I remember correctly.

Sorry for the employee.

cynlb

Mon May 23, 2022 8:26 pm

tjerome wrote:

Update: The employee has been fired by UA, according to TMZ

I think the passenger should be on a no-fly list

nine4nine

Mon May 23, 2022 9:37 pm

cynlb wrote:
tjerome wrote:

A real shame. I’ve seen the entire video and the pax started the physical altercation and initiated the first physical contact. What is the agent supposed to do not protect himself and take a beating until the cops come? I agree that you should always try to de-escalate but if that fails and you are being assaulted you have every right to defend yourself. All this guy did was try to enforce UA policy to someone trying to take advantage of it who then got heated when he got called out. I don’t agree with UA on the firing. They see how employees are berated, cursed at, assaulted on a weekly basis, they should have this agents back!

I agree on the no-fly list as a starter but I think it’s time to up the ante and to take the people who act like violent savages in this country and send them to the front lines in Ukraine.

chinaclipper

Mon May 23, 2022 10:20 pm

The fight and confrontation was despicable...but it started because the passenger was using a wheelchair to move luggage. Why do we insist on charging for luggage carts while foreign countries give them away for free?

dangle

Mon May 23, 2022 10:46 pm

And the passenger was ex-NFL player Brendan Langley:

"...the passenger, ex-NFL player Brendan Langley, was arrested and charged with simple assault. Langley was a third-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft out of Lamar University ... and is currently playing for the CFL's Calgary Stampeders."

Acey

Mon May 23, 2022 11:13 pm

ObadiahPlainman wrote:
Airline employees on the front lines are so vulnerable

Especially after they initiate physical confrontations with professional athletes.

ak

Mon May 23, 2022 11:13 pm

nine4nine wrote:
cynlb wrote:
tjerome wrote:

A real shame. I’ve seen the entire video and the pax started the physical altercation and initiated the first physical contact.

Link?

WayexTDI

Tue May 24, 2022 12:37 am

nine4nine wrote:
cynlb wrote:
tjerome wrote:

A real shame. I’ve seen the entire video and the pax started the physical altercation and initiated the first physical contact. What is the agent supposed to do not protect himself and take a beating until the cops come? I agree that you should always try to de-escalate but if that fails and you are being assaulted you have every right to defend yourself. All this guy did was try to enforce UA policy to someone trying to take advantage of it who then got heated when he got called out. I don’t agree with UA on the firing. They see how employees are berated, cursed at, assaulted on a weekly basis, they should have this agents back!

I agree on the no-fly list as a starter but I think it’s time to up the ante and to take the people who act like violent savages in this country and send them to the front lines in Ukraine.

Something did happen before that video, for sure. Who started it? I don't know and won't speculate.
What's 100% clear though is that the UA employee made ZERO attempt to de-escalate the situation, even coming back in front of the pax and restarting the altercation.
To me, both are at fault.

IFlyMGN

Tue May 24, 2022 12:48 am

I’ve said it many times before…there are many people who shouldn’t be allowed in an airport much less on a plane. There is no home training anymore to teach people civility and manners.

planecane

Tue May 24, 2022 2:24 am

ObadiahPlainman wrote:
https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/23/united-airlines-worker-punches-passenger-fight-newark-airport/

Despicable...

Airline employees on the front lines are so vulnerable, from agents to flight attendants, and I hate to see this. Absolutely the full brunt of the law should be applied here.

Why is an airline employee on the front lines any more vulnerable than any other front line employee in any industry? If anything, airport security should make them less vulnerable.

phatfarmlines

Tue May 24, 2022 2:43 am

Seems to me the passenger was in his right to stand his ground after the UA employee struck first, yet it's the passenger that gets arrested?

N62NA

Tue May 24, 2022 2:56 am

Hoping there's airport surveillance footage of the entire incident, because we're not seeing the entire incident here.

CB777

Tue May 24, 2022 4:23 am

This was not a UA employee but a vendor, a UGE employee who puts the bags on the belt. I wish the media would stop saying UA employee

hpff

Tue May 24, 2022 4:55 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
Seems to me the passenger was in his right to stand his ground after the UA employee struck first, yet it's the passenger that gets arrested?

We don't know how the incident started, we only know what we know from when the filming began.

stl07

Tue May 24, 2022 5:21 am

CB777 wrote:
This was not a UA employee but a vendor, a UGE employee who puts the bags on the belt. I wish the media would stop saying UA employee

And just who owns UGE? What do you think the U in UGE stands for?

bluecrew

Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 am

stl07 wrote:
CB777 wrote:

I mean according to the TMZ time stamps it appears they fired the employee within a few hours of the incident.

**Hardly** enough time to conduct even a cursory factual investigation.

Not defending what he did, he showed brutish conflict de-escalation by squaring off with a violent passenger, but there's absolutely no context as to where this whole conflict came from. Taken from a cell vid, appeared to be multiple pieces of an Instagram or Snapchat story, it clearly started getting filmed after something had piqued that person's interest.

So many variables to this story... and I can't imagine HR was doing an interview with that guy right after he clocked himself on the bag belt.

But also we just watched someone beat the **** out of someone inside the terminal. Not great. Been steadily escalating for years at this point, but now we're openly seeing punches being thrown, both on airplanes and in the airport. Hearing way too many of these stories to feel comfortable...

WayexTDI

Tue May 24, 2022 12:06 pm

CB777 wrote:

I'm sorry, but when an employee is on contract at UA (even if employed by a 3rd party), wears UA uniform and acts on behalf of UA, he represents UA and can legitimately can be considered a UA employee since UA can decided to have him replaced if underperforming.
In this case, he was employed by UGE, a fully owned subsidy of UA.

WayexTDI

Tue May 24, 2022 12:07 pm

bluecrew wrote:
stl07 wrote:
CB777 wrote:

I mean according to the TMZ time stamps it appears they fired the employee within a few hours of the incident.

**Hardly** enough time to conduct even a cursory factual investigation.

Not defending what he did, he showed brutish conflict de-escalation by squaring off with a violent passenger, but there's absolutely no context as to where this whole conflict came from. Taken from a cell vid, appeared to be multiple pieces of an Instagram or Snapchat story, it clearly started getting filmed after something had piqued that person's interest.

So many variables to this story... and I can't imagine HR was doing an interview with that guy right after he clocked himself on the bag belt.

But also we just watched someone beat the **** out of someone inside the terminal. Not great. Been steadily escalating for years at this point, but now we're openly seeing punches being thrown, both on airplanes and in the airport. Hearing way too many of these stories to feel comfortable...

Honestly, he made zero attempt to de-escalade the situation and even went for the customer after the latter stopped; that's enough for immediate dismissal based on the facts seen.

Vicenza

Tue May 24, 2022 2:41 pm

N1120A wrote:
They are paid garbage though, compared to ground employees actually employed by the airline.

How is that at all relevant to the thread?

Aptivaboy

Tue May 24, 2022 3:14 pm

Regardless If that video truly started mid-fight, it doesn't look good on that United employee at all seeming to escalate the situation by slapping homeboy in the head.

Agreed, and by walking out from behind the counter. NEVER leave your area of safety and your personal "red line." By leaving that protected space where pax are not allowed, the United employee made himself look the aggressor, with the slap adding to the mess. I'm a school teacher. I never leave my desk when confronted by a problem student because they'll claim that the teacher is aggressive and threatening towards them. In this day and age, you just can't take that chance. Obviously, there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye, but the United guy's behavior doesn't make him look good, not at all. Word yesterday was that he being terminated. Is there any confirmation on that?

N1120A

Tue May 24, 2022 5:49 pm

cynlb wrote:
tjerome wrote:

For defending himself? Come on.

Vicenza wrote:
N1120A wrote:
They are paid garbage though, compared to ground employees actually employed by the airline.

How is that at all relevant to the thread?

It is relevant in that better pay almost uniformly correlates to greater professionalism.

WayexTDI wrote:
CB777 wrote:

I'm sorry, but when an employee is on contract at UA (even if employed by a 3rd party), wears UA uniform and acts on behalf of UA, he represents UA and can legitimately can be considered a UA employee since UA can decided to have him replaced if underperforming.
In this case, he was employed by UGE, a fully owned subsidy of UA.

Exactly.

phatfarmlines wrote:

Exactly.

BoeingG

Tue May 24, 2022 5:56 pm

Despicable. Lifetime ban for the passenger. No excuse.

D L X

Tue May 24, 2022 6:37 pm

BoeingG wrote:

Self defense?

toobz

Tue May 24, 2022 7:13 pm

yeah…the UA guy in uniform should never act like that on the job. Doesn’t matter how stupid customers are or how bad they pull the “race card”. Common sense folks. How can someone piss you off so bad at work lol

United1

Tue May 24, 2022 7:17 pm

D L X wrote:
BoeingG wrote:

Self defense?

The passenger probably won’t qualify for protection under self defense laws. I’m not super familiar with Jersey law but generally you can only use a reasonable and proportionate amount of force to stop an attack. Also a lot of states require you to have made an attempt to escape the situation before being able to use force.

So a prosecutor is going to look at that case and need answers to the following questions:

Is it reasonable for a NFL player to fear bodily harm from a fairly overweight UA contractor?
Was the amount of force justifiable? ie: Was punching the employee into a counter a reasonable reaction to being slapped? Or was it excessive as a slap could have been blocked.
Did the NFL player have the ability to escape thereby removing himself from harm without escalating the situation?
What happened before the recording started. I don’t know what occurred but something did.

ObadiahPlainman
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2022 7:23 pm

I'm still cracking up watching the video of the UGE guy getting back up and coming back for more after having gotten his butt kicked. Dazed, wobbly, but goes back for more...

cynlb

Tue May 24, 2022 8:47 pm

Hope the passenger gets prosecuted to the fullest extent. Sadly incidents are not unusual these days

The Federal Aviation Administration has said the number of unruly passengers continues to fall, more than 1,300 incidents have been reported this year. -
https://www.local10.com/news/2022/05/24 ... es-worker/

WayexTDI

Tue May 24, 2022 10:15 pm

cynlb wrote:
Hope the passenger gets prosecuted to the fullest extent. Sadly incidents are not unusual these days

The Federal Aviation Administration has said the number of unruly passengers continues to fall, more than 1,300 incidents have been reported this year. -
https://www.local10.com/news/2022/05/24 ... es-worker/

Both needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law; both appear to be at fault.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos