Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts
Topic Author

Top remaining contiguous U.S. markets without nonstop ULCC service to MIA/FLL market

Tue May 24, 2022 1:16 am

Here are the Q4 2021 PDEW's to MIA/FLL the top remaining contiguous U.S. markets without nonstop ULCC service to the MIA/FLL market:
SFO/OAK/SJC-MIA/FLL - 877
PHX/AZA-MIA/FLL - 594
SEA/PAE-MIA/FLL - 414
SLC-MIA/FLL - 367
SAN-MIA/FLL - 348
JAX-MIA/FLL - 285
SAT-MIA/FLL - 237
PDX-MIA/FLL - 177
CHS-MIA/FLL - 170
TLH-MIA/FLL - 147 (TLH not currently served by any ULCC's)
SMF-MIA/FLL - 114
PNS-MIA/FLL - 93
OMA-MIA/FLL - 89
OKC-MIA/FLL - 84
BHM-MIA/FLL - 82 (BHM not currently served by any ULCC's)
ELP-MIA/FLL - 74
ABQ-MIA/FLL - 74
GSO-MIA/FLL - 71
SAV-MIA/FLL - 71

A few of the above markets can probably support nonstop service to MIA/FLL on at least one of the ULCC's.

Some of the markets listed above such as SFO/OAK/SJC, PHX/AZA, SEA/PAE, SLC, SAN, JAX, PDX, and CHS already have nonstop service to the MIA/FLL market on airlines other than AA such as B6, DL, UA, or 3M.

A few of the destinations listed above such as SMF, ELP, and ABQ currently do not have any nonstop service to the MIA/FLL market.

Is F9, NK, G4, or XP likely to add nonstop service to the MIA/FLL market from any of the above markets? If so, which of the above markets are most likely to see nonstop service added to the MIA/FLL market by F9, NK, G4, or XP?

IADCA

Re: Top remaining contiguous U.S. markets without nonstop ULCC service to MIA/FLL market

Tue May 24, 2022 2:18 pm

A lot of those are long flights from places where the ULCC customer base isn't likely to be going to the Miami area if it costs too much, plus facing non-ULCC competition. And some do have some service: for example, NK flies OAK-FLL seasonally, and in season there are three other carriers operating SFO-FLL. Also, NK flies PNS-FLL, so I don't know why that's on the list. I didn't check them all.

But in summary, ULCCs are a segment, not a market completely unto themselves.

nkops

Re: Top remaining contiguous U.S. markets without nonstop ULCC service to MIA/FLL market

Tue May 24, 2022 3:23 pm

I could see NK or G4 doing the PHX/AZA to FLL

I believe JAX-FLL was tried by NK and did not work well

jplatts
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2022 3:45 pm

IADCA wrote:
And some do have some service: for example, NK flies OAK-FLL seasonally, and in season there are three other carriers operating SFO-FLL. Also, NK flies PNS-FLL, so I don't know why that's on the list. I didn't check them all.

While NK had previously operated FLL-OAK/PNS nonstop service, no nonstop flights to FLL from OAK or PNS are currently showing up in NK's flight schedules.

ATLgaUSA

Wed May 25, 2022 1:03 am

Did my post in this thread get deleted?

jplatts
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:11 pm

There are still some markets remaining in the contiguous U.S. without nonstop ULCC service to the MIA/FLL market that
(a) already have nonstop ULCC service to other Florida markets such as MCO/SFB, TPA/PIE, RSW/PGD, or VPS, and
(b) likely have stimulatable O&D demand to the MIA/FLL market.

The discussion was regarding which of the above markets in the contiguous U.S. are likely to see nonstop service added to MIA/FLL by G4, F9, or NK as G4, F9, and NK all still have opportunities to add nonstop service to additional domestic markets out of MIA/FLL.

luckyone

Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:07 pm

IADCA wrote:
A lot of those are long flights from places where the ULCC customer base isn't likely to be going to the Miami area if it costs too much, plus facing non-ULCC competition. And some do have some service: for example, NK flies OAK-FLL seasonally, and in season there are three other carriers operating SFO-FLL. Also, NK flies PNS-FLL, so I don't know why that's on the list. I didn't check them all.

But in summary, ULCCs are a segment, not a market completely unto themselves.

Agreed, their segment may be limited on some of these routes. Anecdotally speaking, when I lived in Seattle most people that I knew went to Hawaii for their sun break. West Coast to Florida is comparable in flight time to Hawaii -- assuming they're cost comparable, which they may not be depending on the destination or the activities intended. Cabo is closer. Cancun is the same, and both can be cheaper with their inclusive resorts. If you want Disney, well that's already there on the West Coast. And all that before the prospect of SIX HOURS in Spirit, Frontier, or Allegiant. Do they upsell a chiropractor?