Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 pm

Hello!

Just noticed a Kenya Airways B737-800 5Y-CYD flying from GVA to NBO using flight number KQ7515. FR24 shows this flight being approx 6,200kms with a flight time totalling just over 8 hours!

Would this be the longest NG flight ever (non BBJ)? Presumably this has PAX on board as their 7xxx flight numbers are usually chartered flights as i recall.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:04 pm

If it had pax on board, likely longer than any normally scheduled B737NG flight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_f ... craft_type)
 
MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:13 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If it had pax on board, likely longer than any normally scheduled B737NG flight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_f ... craft_type)


No idea if it has any PAX onboard but considering what i believe is a charter flight number it might just be, and beats out a GOL flight by 10 mins, but might be shorter in terms of distance.
 
WorldFlier
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:22 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
If it had pax on board, likely longer than any normally scheduled B737NG flight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_f ... craft_type)


No idea if it has any PAX onboard but considering what i believe is a charter flight number it might just be, and beats out a GOL flight by 10 mins, but might be shorter in terms of distance.



I am guessing rich VIP and/or returning with vaccines or other high tech (but small) cargo.
 
SESGDL
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:25 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:28 pm

Not sure how this is different for passengers than a similar length flight on a 757 or 321LR/321XLR.

Jeremy
 
jetskipper
Posts: 645
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:50 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:39 pm

SESGDL wrote:
Not sure how this is different for passengers than a similar length flight on a 757 or 321LR/321XLR.

Jeremy


From their experience and point of view, I think they would be very similar. Just impressive for us aviation wonks.
 
fraspotter
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 8:12 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
Presumably this has PAX on board as their 7xxx flight numbers are usually chartered flights as i recall.


Could it be an all cargo charter?
 
smi0006
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:56 pm

Tough on cabin crew- not many places to rest or hide on a 737, surely they would get the last row of economy for rest? Tech crew would get a vacant J seat?
 
B757capt
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:11 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:57 pm

Davos economic forum is this week outside of GVA. World leaders and business folks from around the world are gathered.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 9184
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 9:57 pm

GVA to NBO sounds like a UN charter
 
HL300MUC
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:25 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 pm

Im surprised people think the type can do this with full passenger and payload. I guess it was very light.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3730
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 10:04 pm

HL300MUC wrote:
Im surprised people think the type can do this with full passenger and payload. I guess it was very light.


Who is suggesting this?
 
raylee67
Posts: 1055
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 10:09 pm

More amazing is that the 737-800 (5Y-CYD) actually flew Nairobi - Bern - Geneva - Nairobi
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/5y-cyd

Bern's runway is only 1730m. The 737 must have been pretty empty when departing from Bern.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5171
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 10:26 pm

B757capt wrote:
Davos economic forum is this week outside of GVA. World leaders and business folks from around the world are gathered.

I hate to be picky but Davos is NOT outside GVA! In fact it is about as far from GVA as you can get & still be in Switzerland, it is on the western watershed of the Inn valley, whose eastern watershed [more or less] is the Austrian border. In terms of airports you would have to go through Zurich city to get to GVA, ZRH is not far from the city.

Gemuser
 
tautliner
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 24, 2022 10:39 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 11:42 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
HL300MUC wrote:
Im surprised people think the type can do this with full passenger and payload. I guess it was very light.


Who is suggesting this?


Sectors like this are not that unusual, Virgin Australia regularly did Phuket-Perth with the 738 , often well over 7 hours with a full load of holidaymakers.
 
MoonC
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Tue May 24, 2022 11:54 pm

President Kenyatta on an official visit to Bern for the opening of an embassy, and Geneva for the World Health Assembly organised by the WHO.

These things can be Google'd, people.
 
B757capt
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:11 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 3:38 am

Gemuser wrote:
B757capt wrote:
Davos economic forum is this week outside of GVA. World leaders and business folks from around the world are gathered.

I hate to be picky but Davos is NOT outside GVA! In fact it is about as far from GVA as you can get & still be in Switzerland, it is on the western watershed of the Inn valley, whose eastern watershed [more or less] is the Austrian border. In terms of airports you would have to go through Zurich city to get to GVA, ZRH is not far from the city.

Gemuser

You are absolutely correct, I apologize. I meant to say Bern, based on the flight tracking. Appears they did a refueling leg stop at GVA.
 
MoonC
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 3:49 am

B757capt wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
B757capt wrote:
Davos economic forum is this week outside of GVA. World leaders and business folks from around the world are gathered.

I hate to be picky but Davos is NOT outside GVA! In fact it is about as far from GVA as you can get & still be in Switzerland, it is on the western watershed of the Inn valley, whose eastern watershed [more or less] is the Austrian border. In terms of airports you would have to go through Zurich city to get to GVA, ZRH is not far from the city.

Gemuser

You are absolutely correct, I apologize. I meant to say Bern, based on the flight tracking. Appears they did a refueling leg stop at GVA.


President Kenyatta went to the World Health Assembly organised by the WHO in GVA, as I said in my previous post.

And no, he did not go to the WEF. He was in Bern for the opening of an embassy.
 
DCA350
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 4:25 am

KQ has 787s.. I'm surprised the president or his team chose to fly that far on a 737..
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 3317
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 4:45 am

tautliner wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
HL300MUC wrote:
Im surprised people think the type can do this with full passenger and payload. I guess it was very light.


Who is suggesting this?


Sectors like this are not that unusual, Virgin Australia regularly did Phuket-Perth with the 738 , often well over 7 hours with a full load of holidaymakers.

IIRC this sector was only possible because the average baggage load was well under 20kg for a week on the beach.
 
ScottB
Posts: 7812
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 5:14 am

raylee67 wrote:
More amazing is that the 737-800 (5Y-CYD) actually flew Nairobi - Bern - Geneva - Nairobi
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/5y-cyd

Bern's runway is only 1730m. The 737 must have been pretty empty when departing from Bern.


You don't need a lot of fuel for the hop to Geneva, but BRN's runway is basically the same length as SNA's and it's only at an elevation of ~500m. Not really a problem for a 738 on a short hop.

DCA350 wrote:
KQ has 787s.. I'm surprised the president or his team chose to fly that far on a 737..


Might have wanted to fly into BRN and you're not doing that on a 787. It wouldn't shock me if the plane's interior had been reconfigured for this trip.
 
blandy62
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:14 am

raylee67 wrote:

Bern's runway is only 1730m. The 737 must have been pretty empty when departing from Bern.



not necessarily. UA operated some flights with 738 out of airporta like YAP, KSA... with similar runways and with a full load on much longer flight than that
 
mandargb
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:00 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 am

COPA has a regular scheduled flight PTY-SFO (typically 7 hours 10 minutes)
They use 739.
 
MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:19 am

DCA350 wrote:
KQ has 787s.. I'm surprised the president or his team chose to fly that far on a 737..


Cheaper to charter?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7227
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:43 am

raylee67 wrote:
Bern's runway is only 1730m. The 737 must have been pretty empty when departing from Bern.


Well since obviously it wasn't a regular flight, and also that it was a short hop of 24 minutes to GVA, weight must not have been a concern. UA operate scheduled services with 738s out of such runways in the Pacific.
 
SRGVA67
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:57 am

B757capt wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
B757capt wrote:
Davos economic forum is this week outside of GVA. World leaders and business folks from around the world are gathered.

I hate to be picky but Davos is NOT outside GVA! In fact it is about as far from GVA as you can get & still be in Switzerland, it is on the western watershed of the Inn valley, whose eastern watershed [more or less] is the Austrian border. In terms of airports you would have to go through Zurich city to get to GVA, ZRH is not far from the city.

Gemuser

You are absolutely correct, I apologize. I meant to say Bern, based on the flight tracking. Appears they did a refueling leg stop at GVA.

No, the aircraft dropped off the President at BRN and moved on straight to GVA to layover 3 days. More convenient all the more since the President finished his visit to Switzerland at WHO which is based in Geneva.
 
User avatar
BoatStuck
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:44 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 7:34 am

DCA350 wrote:
KQ has 787s.. I'm surprised the president or his team chose to fly that far on a 737..


Good for the government for Kenya for being responsible with public funds, since the 737 was sufficient and much more economical to operate than a 787.
 
MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 am

BoatStuck wrote:
DCA350 wrote:
KQ has 787s.. I'm surprised the president or his team chose to fly that far on a 737..


Good for the government for Kenya for being responsible with public funds, since the 737 was sufficient and much more economical to operate than a 787.


Oh you don’t really want to go there.
 
bchandl
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: KQ7515 GVA TO NBO, 8 hours in a 737NG!

Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm

ScottB wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
More amazing is that the 737-800 (5Y-CYD) actually flew Nairobi - Bern - Geneva - Nairobi
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/5y-cyd

Bern's runway is only 1730m. The 737 must have been pretty empty when departing from Bern.


You don't need a lot of fuel for the hop to Geneva, but BRN's runway is basically the same length as SNA's and it's only at an elevation of ~500m. Not really a problem for a 738 on a short hop.

DCA350 wrote:
KQ has 787s.. I'm surprised the president or his team chose to fly that far on a 737..


Might have wanted to fly into BRN and you're not doing that on a 787. It wouldn't shock me if the plane's interior had been reconfigured for this trip.


Interior was not reconfigured on account they sent this plane back into pax service 5 hours after landing back in Kenya.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ADL77W, AlpinaXB7, ASFlyer, B595, BA, Baidu [Spider], Blerg, dman87, fishbone, flyguy89, Google [Bot], hoons90, HowardDGA, justplanesmart, Kikko19, MavyWavyATR, MDGLongBeach, Melb94, MikeEm57, N312RC, tisr123, wolf0 and 177 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos