Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
720B
Topic Author
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 am

KLM halted ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport (27 May)

Fri May 27, 2022 2:25 pm

KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday, due to staff shortages.


https://airwaysmag.com/klm-halts-ticket ... EfX-n2vX28
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17374
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 2:33 pm

I feel sorry for the staff that are on the front face here that will endure the frustrations of passengers waiting for hours. Totally preventable and predictable situation, I hope passengers are smart enough to point the finger at the correct party responsible for the mess.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 13021
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 2:33 pm

KLM is indeed experiencing staff shortages due to a lack of personnel and personnel who are sick.

And the second factor is staff shortages at Schiphol.

KLM isn't halting all ticket sales, just limiting them (especially the lower segment). {url=https://www.nu.nl/economie/6203047/minder-tickets-voor-klm-vluchten-vanaf-schiphol-luchthaven-komt-met-actieplan.html[/url]The halting of all sales was erroneous.

It is quite amazing to me that Schiphol and KLM aren't prepared for this and they have to limit their sales. That should cost quite a bit.
 
DALCE
Posts: 2091
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 2:39 pm

I have flown through AMS twice in the past 2 weeks, but it's a scandal. The CEO of the airport has no right to stay in his position, this is mismanagement and arrogance. Don't forget that Mr. Benschop has substantially raised the airport fees to the airlines quite recently. This id**t.....errrr.....manager is completely and way past his expiry date. I wonder where all the money is going at Schiphol Group.....definately not into there core business.......SERVICE DELIVERY
 
TW870
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 3:34 pm

DALCE wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:
I’m somehow missing the connection between the airport managers role in an airline staffing shortage story…?


the shortage is mostly with the airport security and forces airlines to give back slots and/or reduce ticket sales.
People are in line for security up to 6hrs........


I'm going through there next Wednesday morning. I have to transit from International to Schengen to catch a KLM flight to Madrid. How bad have those connecting lines been?
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 3:39 pm

"Staff shortage" just means companies won't take a hit on their profits to make an enticing offer. I feel for the current staff and for pax, but that's capitalism for you.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10813
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 4:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:
It is quite amazing to me that Schiphol and KLM aren't prepared for this and they have to limit their sales. That should cost quite a bit.

The only thing that's amazing to me is that there are still people who buy tickets at the airport :D
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 3091
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 4:32 pm

There is something I don't get here.

Are they stopping sales in hope to reduce the number of travelers between now and Monday? But the vast majority of those have already been sold, and they will have to honor them.
Or are they saying they don't have enough people to handle the volume of ticket sales? Isn't the vast majority of ticket sold online, hence requiring ZERO staff intervention?

Something doesn't add up.
 
reality
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:01 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 4:35 pm

720B wrote:
KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday, due to staff shortages.


https://airwaysmag.com/klm-halts-ticket ... EfX-n2vX28


It is not clear to me what this article is trying to say. Can someone please clarify?
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 13021
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 4:39 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
There is something I don't get here.

Are they stopping sales in hope to reduce the number of travelers between now and Monday? But the vast majority of those have already been sold, and they will have to honor them.
Or are they saying they don't have enough people to handle the volume of ticket sales? Isn't the vast majority of ticket sold online, hence requiring ZERO staff intervention?

Something doesn't add up.


My thoughts exactly. Although the number of passengers will be lower, that requires less staff land side of the airport. KLM will probably have an arrangement with Schiphol for compensation and they experience a staff shortage themselve. So perhaps losing those low ref passengers isn't too bad. This is all speculation on my part, though.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 13021
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 4:42 pm

TW870 wrote:
DALCE wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:
I’m somehow missing the connection between the airport managers role in an airline staffing shortage story…?


the shortage is mostly with the airport security and forces airlines to give back slots and/or reduce ticket sales.
People are in line for security up to 6hrs........


I'm going through there next Wednesday morning. I have to transit from International to Schengen to catch a KLM flight to Madrid. How bad have those connecting lines been?


If you have a connecting flight, you probably will be ok. I would tell the staff on board though, perhaps they will have a way to make sure you catch your flight to Madrid. If you don't they also have a problem. Have a nice flight, and next time stay a little bit longer in the Netherlands ;-)
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 13021
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 4:44 pm

DALCE wrote:
This id**t.....errrr.....manager is completely and way past his expiry date. I wonder where all the money is going at Schiphol Group.....definately not into there core business.......SERVICE DELIVERY


Ah, a common mistake that the core business of Schiphol is passangiers. The core business of the Schiphol group is real estate, they are a real estate company which happens to handle aircraft to get traffic ;-).
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 8796
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 5:36 pm

Seems that AMS is experiencing the same problems as LHR LGW MAN, lack of security cleared staff to prevent the delays.
 
FGITD
Posts: 2131
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 5:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
DALCE wrote:
This id**t.....errrr.....manager is completely and way past his expiry date. I wonder where all the money is going at Schiphol Group.....definately not into there core business.......SERVICE DELIVERY


Ah, a common mistake that the core business of Schiphol is passangiers. The core business of the Schiphol group is real estate, they are a real estate company which happens to handle aircraft to get traffic ;-).



It’s a complicated situation because generally the airport authority (taking more US) only has so much power. They run the airport but not the staffing for their contractors. KLM has huge lines at check in and ramp staff shortage. What exactly can Schipol management do? Force KLM to pay a higher wage to attract more staff? Same goes for security screening, etc.

In the End most airport authorities provide the facilities and will assist, but things like handling problems or staff shortages are out of their realm
 
TW870
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
TW870 wrote:
DALCE wrote:

the shortage is mostly with the airport security and forces airlines to give back slots and/or reduce ticket sales.
People are in line for security up to 6hrs........


I'm going through there next Wednesday morning. I have to transit from International to Schengen to catch a KLM flight to Madrid. How bad have those connecting lines been?


If you have a connecting flight, you probably will be ok. I would tell the staff on board though, perhaps they will have a way to make sure you catch your flight to Madrid. If you don't they also have a problem. Have a nice flight, and next time stay a little bit longer in the Netherlands ;-)


I would love to stay - and I will soon! I will ask the purser on our flight if they have any work arounds. I am flying Delta in from Minneapolis, and the MSP-based flight crews go to Amsterdam all the time. My guess is they will have some information about the situation that they have heard from their passengers.
 
FlyingHonu001
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 pm

Staff shortages at AMS are caused by the rebound in passenger traffic now coming through the airport post-pandemic. Normally all the companies and airlines based here have enough staff to handle the overcrowding. But the pandemic forced them to cut a huge portion of staff in order to stay afloat. Services across the board are affected, ranging from security, passport control, cleaning (terminal aswell as aircraft cabin) , passenger assistance, bagage handling, check-in etc

When most countries finally restarted air travel, the Netherlands were one of the last countries to relax their measurements. The companies had to comply and are now scrambling to get their original jobs filled before peak S22. But from the looks of it, its already way too late... Its not looking good from a passenger service experience POV

I wish everyone travelling through AMS all the best this S22
 
airbazar
Posts: 10813
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 6:19 pm

Something doesn't add-up in this story. Most people buy tickets well in advance of their travels, like months in advance. A few business travelers may buy last minute tickets. I can't imaging that stopping ticket sales for a couple of days will have much of an immediate impact on the flow of passengers coming thru the airport. Moreover, other airlines aren't stopping ticket sales so they'll probably absorb whatever passengers KLM isn't taking. And it's not like KLM controls staffing in places like security and immigration, where most of the problems are reported to be.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4599
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 6:42 pm

airbazar wrote:
Something doesn't add-up in this story. Most people buy tickets well in advance of their travels, like months in advance. A few business travelers may buy last minute tickets. I can't imaging that stopping ticket sales for a couple of days will have much of an immediate impact on the flow of passengers coming thru the airport.

I think it is a face-saving operation. They know it won’t help, but at least they can now have a PR guy on the news saying they are taking drastic steps.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 13021
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 6:43 pm

FGITD wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
DALCE wrote:
This id**t.....errrr.....manager is completely and way past his expiry date. I wonder where all the money is going at Schiphol Group.....definately not into there core business.......SERVICE DELIVERY


Ah, a common mistake that the core business of Schiphol is passangiers. The core business of the Schiphol group is real estate, they are a real estate company which happens to handle aircraft to get traffic ;-).



It’s a complicated situation because generally the airport authority (taking more US) only has so much power. They run the airport but not the staffing for their contractors. KLM has huge lines at check in and ramp staff shortage. What exactly can Schipol management do? Force KLM to pay a higher wage to attract more staff? Same goes for security screening, etc.

In the End most airport authorities provide the facilities and will assist, but things like handling problems or staff shortages are out of their realm


It seems to be security which is the domain of Schiphol. Baggage handling, ground staff, ramp staff is the domain of the airline's.
 
FlyingHonu001
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 6:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
It seems to be security which is the domain of Schiphol. Baggage handling, ground staff, ramp staff is the domain of the airline's.


Schiphol has also long time outsourced all their security tasks to a bunch of private security companies, some of them are not well organised...so yeah its real mess down here
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 5004
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 7:25 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
"Staff shortage" just means companies won't take a hit on their profits to make an enticing offer.


:checkmark:
The company can blame staff sickness (ie omicron) all they like, but the reality is that these issues have far more to do with companies that laid of many people due to the pandemic trying to get away with lean staffing as long as they possibly can.

My favorite is still BHX management handing out job application forms to passengers stranded in the long lines trying to get through security. ;)
 
lhrnue
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 7:31 pm

It is 2022 and people still buy tickets at the airport?
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2310
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 7:36 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
"Staff shortage" just means companies won't take a hit on their profits to make an enticing offer. I feel for the current staff and for pax, but that's capitalism for you.


I really don't consider the airport experience or service better in the communist countries I've visited. Just sayin. Airlines are marginally profitable in good times. They took massive losses during COVID. Personally, I'd prefer they stay in business (without government bailouts), but to each their own.
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2310
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 7:36 pm

lhrnue wrote:
It is 2022 and people still buy tickets at the airport?


Exactly what I was thinking. :D
 
ltbewr
Posts: 16241
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 7:47 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
lhrnue wrote:
It is 2022 and people still buy tickets at the airport?

Exactly what I was thinking. :D

There could be certain destinations, certain multi-stop flights, if a passenger is making a last minute flight change or from certain countries (like Russia), where a in-person purchase of a ticket may be necessary. It may be small numbers but with the limited staffing they have, they have to prioritize workers. As noted airlines, airports and government agencies that handle customs, border controls all laid off staff during the pandemic have been slow to restaff, returning or new staff likely facing long times to process background security and other checks, need training/retraining, may be trying to minimize staffing to make profits or recover from huge losses from pandemic travel limits. You may also have some parents of children that don't want to work anymore or until their children are older, those who want a job with more regular hours, less stressful, closer to home, better pay and other factors. .
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 13021
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
It seems to be security which is the domain of Schiphol. Baggage handling, ground staff, ramp staff is the domain of the airline's.


Schiphol has also long time outsourced all their security tasks to a bunch of private security companies, some of them are not well organised...so yeah its real mess down here


You can outsource what you want, it still makes Schiphol responsable.
 
sabby
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 9:44 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Services across the board are affected, ranging from security, passport control, ...


I was under the impression that Passport control is operated by CBP so that shouldn't be affected.
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2310
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 pm

ltbewr wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
lhrnue wrote:
It is 2022 and people still buy tickets at the airport?

Exactly what I was thinking. :D

There could be certain destinations, certain multi-stop flights, if a passenger is making a last minute flight change or from certain countries (like Russia), where a in-person purchase of a ticket may be necessary. It may be small numbers but with the limited staffing they have, they have to prioritize workers. As noted airlines, airports and government agencies that handle customs, border controls all laid off staff during the pandemic have been slow to restaff, returning or new staff likely facing long times to process background security and other checks, need training/retraining, may be trying to minimize staffing to make profits or recover from huge losses from pandemic travel limits. You may also have some parents of children that don't want to work anymore or until their children are older, those who want a job with more regular hours, less stressful, closer to home, better pay and other factors. .


Yes, I get there are corner cases, but seriously how many agents service these few requests nowadays? Less than 10 I’m guessing? Hardly newsworthy IMO.
 
User avatar
usdcaguy
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 pm

sabby wrote:
FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Services across the board are affected, ranging from security, passport control, ...


I was under the impression that Passport control is operated by CBP so that shouldn't be affected.


The question then becomes whether the Netherlands border control agency (it’s the police, I believe) furloughed people during COVID and whether they brought them back. They always had lines in the past anyway.
 
User avatar
alberchico
Posts: 3673
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Fri May 27, 2022 10:51 pm

Not to get off topic, but the same thing happened at Heathrow when traffic came roaring back. Customs was short staffed, leading to massive delays.
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 am

airbazar wrote:
Something doesn't add-up in this story. Most people buy tickets well in advance of their travels, like months in advance. A few business travelers may buy last minute tickets. I can't imaging that stopping ticket sales for a couple of days will have much of an immediate impact on the flow of passengers coming thru the airport. Moreover, other airlines aren't stopping ticket sales so they'll probably absorb whatever passengers KLM isn't taking. And it's not like KLM controls staffing in places like security and immigration, where most of the problems are reported to be.


What I read in the news is that the main reasons for not selling last minute tickets is that due to the mess, too many pax have missed their flights and there is a lot of rebooking going on. The halting of sales is also to have more seats available to rebook pax who have missed their flights due to the airport mess.
 
Tartarus
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 3:15 am

Covid was just the excuse that aviation companies needed to accelerate their long race to the bottom of the barrel. They saw it as an opportunity to cut jobs, pay and conditions to their wildest dreams.
Now it is coming back to bite them, and they will try and blame everything and everyone except those actually responsible, their inept management teams. Managers who only come in, cut costs to the bone, proudly announce what a great job they've done to the bottom line, then leave a complete mess behind them when they move on.

People in this industry been treated horrendously for the last 20 years, and the last 2 was the final nail in the coffin for many of them.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 8:22 am

RDUDDJI wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
"Staff shortage" just means companies won't take a hit on their profits to make an enticing offer. I feel for the current staff and for pax, but that's capitalism for you.


I really don't consider the airport experience or service better in the communist countries I've visited. Just sayin. Airlines are marginally profitable in good times. They took massive losses during COVID. Personally, I'd prefer they stay in business (without government bailouts), but to each their own.


Completely agree, but not a great argument for capitalism when "airport experience in communist countries" is no better than privately owned airports/airlines in the world's richest countries. If demand asks for increased work force then they need to stay competitive, including benefits and salaries. Can't afford to offer reliable service, then maybe they're failing at adapting.

If they can't come up with a way to be profitable than the market has spoken and they either adapt or accept that they can't compete. Why should passangers accept that they should endure subpar service? Sounds like the business model no longer makes sense. If competition is the driving force then be competitive one way or close up shop and invest elsewhere.
 
sabby
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 12:33 pm

Tartarus wrote:
Covid was just the excuse that aviation companies needed to accelerate their long race to the bottom of the barrel. They saw it as an opportunity to cut jobs, pay and conditions to their wildest dreams.


I despise most Airlines but that statement reeks of ignorance and/or blind hatred.
 
sabby
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 12:35 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
"Staff shortage" just means companies won't take a hit on their profits to make an enticing offer. I feel for the current staff and for pax, but that's capitalism for you.


I really don't consider the airport experience or service better in the communist countries I've visited. Just sayin. Airlines are marginally profitable in good times. They took massive losses during COVID. Personally, I'd prefer they stay in business (without government bailouts), but to each their own.


Completely agree, but not a great argument for capitalism when "airport experience in communist countries" is no better than privately owned airports/airlines in the world's richest countries. If demand asks for increased work force then they need to stay competitive, including benefits and salaries. Can't afford to offer reliable service, then maybe they're failing at adapting.

If they can't come up with a way to be profitable than the market has spoken and they either adapt or accept that they can't compete. Why should passangers accept that they should endure subpar service? Sounds like the business model no longer makes sense. If competition is the driving force then be competitive one way or close up shop and invest elsewhere.


The problem is with neither capitalism nor communism. That's just what the different spectrums of politicians like to blame to shoulder off responsibilities and most people fall for it. The problem is the people who are in charge, regardless if it is in a Capilalist economy or in a communist regime.
 
jpiddink
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 5:36 pm

lhrnue wrote:
It is 2022 and people still buy tickets at the airport?

KL forced me to buy a new ticket at the airport, when my secretary had booked a flight under my call name instead of my first name as shown in my passport.
 
jpiddink
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Staff shortages at AMS are caused by the rebound in passenger traffic now coming through the airport post-pandemic. Normally all the companies and airlines based here have enough staff to handle the overcrowding. But the pandemic forced them to cut a huge portion of staff in order to stay afloat.

Interesting that you say that COVID forced the airport to lay off staff.
When Russia invaded Ukrain, many western companies closed down their stores in Russia but continued to pay their wages. To me, laying off more staff than you can rehire/retrain is a management decision, not external force. Especially for a government owned infrastructure manager like the airport.
 
User avatar
CrimsonNL
Posts: 2239
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sat May 28, 2022 10:48 pm

sabby wrote:
Tartarus wrote:
Covid was just the excuse that aviation companies needed to accelerate their long race to the bottom of the barrel. They saw it as an opportunity to cut jobs, pay and conditions to their wildest dreams.


I despise most Airlines but that statement reeks of ignorance and/or blind hatred.


Sadly I think Tartarus is spot on. Don't forget that staff levels at AMS (and elsewhere) were already abysmal pre-Covid. Even during record breaking summers of 2018/2019

Now airlines say that they can't find staff willing to work for minimum wage (after firing the staff themselves). But Covid!

No more complimentary drinks and sandwich on board, also because of Covid.

No more customer service desk in the airport? Covid!

No more agents to talk to in a callcenter, or 3 hour wait times on the phone? Covid!

Flight cancelations without rebooking options? Covid.

No response on your email inquiries for a ticket refund? That sucks, but we can't help it, because of Covid.
 
Tartarus
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 3:29 am

sabby wrote:
I despise most Airlines but that statement reeks of ignorance and/or blind hatred.


Ignorance?
I've worked at the frontline of the aviation industry through the dotcom bust, 9/11, Iraq war, Afghanistan war, the 2008 financial crash. All of these had major impacts on aviation where management used it as an excuse to cost cut ad infinitum. But they all paled in comparison to the attempts during Covid-19.

Blind hatred?
No, just my eyes open to reality.
 
User avatar
adambrau
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 6:11 am

airbazar wrote:
Something doesn't add-up in this story. Most people buy tickets well in advance of their travels, like months in advance. A few business travelers may buy last minute tickets. I can't imaging that stopping ticket sales for a couple of days will have much of an immediate impact on the flow of passengers coming thru the airport. Moreover, other airlines aren't stopping ticket sales so they'll probably absorb whatever passengers KLM isn't taking. And it's not like KLM controls staffing in places like security and immigration, where most of the problems are reported to be.


Ticket sales includes many miscellaneous items like same day upgrades, extra / overweight bag fees, UM fees, infant tickets , reissuing tickets, revalidating tickets, cash purchases, etc. Some people do buy tickets at the airport for same day or future travel and it can be be a little time consuming. So if they are short of staff maybe it's best to let the sales agents sell ancillary items which bring in lots of income and reserve the right to sell new tickets which as many have said can be done online. But if you can't change your ticket online, or you are on a DL codeshare, good luck finding a live voice to help you out. So many people, out of desperation, just come to the airport to do it. That's the way it is in the land of ticketing!
 
factsonly
Posts: 3309
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 6:28 am

jpiddink wrote:

KL forced me to buy a new ticket at the airport, when my secretary had booked a flight under my call name instead of my first name as shown in my passport.


This is an international security requirement in today's sensitive terrorism world, nothing to do with the airlines.
 
AeroVega
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 7:47 am

In my observation, the cause for long lines at security is the time it takes to screen the luggage images by security personel. The rest is pretty fast now since you do not need to take your electronics and liquids out anymore. Schiphol would be better advised to invest in AI technology for screening luggage images than trying to hire more security personel.
 
Flanker7
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 8:15 am

AeroVega wrote:
In my observation, the cause for long lines at security is the time it takes to screen the luggage images by security personel. The rest is pretty fast now since you do not need to take your electronics and liquids out anymore. Schiphol would be better advised to invest in AI technology for screening luggage images than trying to hire more security personel.




The are actually looking in to that but having such technology implemented takes a long time and won't solve any of today's issues.
 
KL868
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 9:56 am

Biggest issue for KLM was staff shortages at security causing people to miss their flights en had to be rebooked, to allow that they stopped selling discount tickets, they continued to sell the expensive tickets (example E3000 for a trip to New York in economy).
With a long holiday weekend in the Netherlands (most offices closed Thursday and Friday) the amount of sales was probably already very low and announcing this publicly (and typically wrong reported in the press) is in my view mostly for show.

The staff issues at the Marechaussee (border control), already an issue before covid, and at KLM itself (especially baggage handling) are not causing any real issues at the moment.
 
jpiddink
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 10:26 am

factsonly wrote:
jpiddink wrote:

KL forced me to buy a new ticket at the airport, when my secretary had booked a flight under my call name instead of my first name as shown in my passport.


This is an international security requirement in today's sensitive terrorism world, nothing to do with the airlines.


Could you enlighten me what, from a security point of view, would make a new, last second ticket sale significantly more safe than a name change to an existing ticket?
 
FlyingHonu001
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 12:13 pm

KL868 wrote:
The staff issues at the Marechaussee (border control), already an issue before covid, and at KLM itself (especially baggage handling) are not causing any real issues at the moment.


There are most definitely staff shortages especially at apron/ground handling. On time performance for short turnarounds on longhaul widebodies run at least with 20 minutes to half hour delays
 
airbazar
Posts: 10813
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 12:34 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
lhrnue wrote:
It is 2022 and people still buy tickets at the airport?


Exactly what I was thinking. :D


It's a poorly worded title. You need to read the article to understand. I thought the same thing when I read the title.
KLM is stopping sales for flights FROM Schiphol, not AT Schiphol.
 
md94
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:23 am

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 12:52 pm

I flew out of AMS a couple times at the beginning of May and it was a zoo from the curb to customs. Never seen it like that before and it was rough, not what you expect there. Usually it’s a fairly pleasant experience at AMS. I could not imagine how bad it is now if it was so congested a few weeks ago.

I hope they get it figured out asap, but I don’t expect it to change over night because it will require a lot more staff to fix it.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 4:03 pm

factsonly wrote:
jpiddink wrote:

KL forced me to buy a new ticket at the airport, when my secretary had booked a flight under my call name instead of my first name as shown in my passport.


This is an international security requirement in today's sensitive terrorism world, nothing to do with the airlines.


Airlines have taken advantage, something so trivial should have a manner of correction. It might require an airport to have a special desk staffed by appropriate people and a fee large enough to pay for that staffing. It is simply a matter of airline greed and not giving a damn as opposed to providing customer service. Does anyone really think that security and law enforcement does not have the ability to quickly online detect phony from authentic name variations. Have any airlines asked if this could be done?

ps - someone's trendy mom callled her psoozzy, and note the lower case 'p'. Pronounced of course Suzie.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 6623
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: KLM halting ticket sales at Amsterdam Airport between now and Monday

Sun May 29, 2022 5:14 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
"Staff shortage" just means companies won't take a hit on their profits to make an enticing offer. I feel for the current staff and for pax, but that's capitalism for you.

You sure that would be a hit on profit instead of hike in fare price if they do so?

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos