Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAmie2k9

Re: Irish 6/22: Brought to you by the letter "Q"

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:58 am

DalRiada wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
EISG1129 wrote:
Just to add to EI320's observations regarding recent LH flights into/out of DUB. I was on the LH983 to FRA this morning at 05:55. I received a quite courteous email from LH on Thursday, indicating there have been delays in some areas of Dublin Airport recently, stating bag drop will be open from 2.30am and that they looked forward to welcoming me even at such an early hour. I arrived at 2.30am, was asked which airline I was flying with and if I had a bag to drop off, before being permitted straight into the building. FR passengers with bags to drop off appeared to be getting asked to queue in covered barriered lanes outside the building.

I joined the LH queue at the check in desks at area 9. It took until 4.30am to drop off the check in bag. A staff member from the handling agent didn't surface until 3.15am and opened up the business class desk, before then being joined by 2 colleagues a while later. The 4 machines for self service tagging of bags were activated at 3.15am but kept acting up and rejecting bags so people had to join the queue to see a person.

From a customer perspective, it's not unreasonable that if LH send an email saying that desks will open at 2.30am that their handling agent actually open them then, and that it's not 3.15am when a staff member opens a desk. The flight was full so sufficient desks should be opened.

Perhaps it's indicative of the handling agent having insufficient staff at the moment or a particularly high absence rate, I can only speculate in that regard. However, if it had been my first time flying with LH, it would not have been a good first impression of the airline to be asked to show up at 2.30am, only to be left standing there until 3.15am without explanation before somebody came out and opened a desk, and for it to take 2 hours to drop off a bag.

T1 security, while busy, was moving. I was through in 25 minutes. Staff were proactive in reminding people to get liquids out of bags, use multiple trays if necessary and were impeccably polite.

Not sure the handling agent is at fault here...

Check-in from 03:15 opened on time and showing up at 02.30 goes against daa advise. Had LH asked for 02:30 they woud probally get it as LH would be one of there largest clients even with staffing issues.

If your airline instructs you to turn up at 02:30 then the least you can expect is that their handling agents are ready to go at 02.30.

LH probably asked daa for dispensation for their pax seeing as they were let into the terminal that early whereas FR pax were asked to wait outside.

Not disagreeing but its always opened at 03:15. Its poor communication from LH and they should review the advise.

You were let into the airport because it was close to opening.

OA260

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:45 am

DalRiada wrote:

If your airline instructs you to turn up at 02:30 then the least you can expect is that their handling agents are ready to go at 02.30.

Indeed if LH send out emails instructing passengers to be at check in at 02:30 then they would rightfully expect the desks to be open. Especially premium passengers. Anything else is nonsense.

Eirules

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:12 am

I had similar experience flying LH to FRA in April as part of a connection to DEN. Check in opened at 3.15 but J check in was very slow & fast track was closed. Flight took off about 45 mins late due to delayed boarding

EI320

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:17 am

OA260 wrote:
DalRiada wrote:

Indeed if LH send out emails instructing passengers to be at check in at 02:30 then they would rightfully expect the desks to be open. Especially premium passengers. Anything else is nonsense.

Spot on.

On this forum we make a distinction between the airline and their third-party handling agent, but this distinction is irrelevant to the passenger. The passenger’s contract is with the airline. The handling agent is the airline.

As such, if LH advises that check-in opens at 02:30, it is their responsibility to staff the desks from 02:30.

Following my recent experience, I’ve opted to switch business over to BA for a while. While DUB was bad, FRA was no less of a s***show but there’s no point going into that on this thread.

dstc47

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:41 am

Given the number of electronic display screens in Dublin Airport, it should not be impossible for the signs to display "Check in opens at XX.XX" for each flight.

It would also assist staff being asked repetitive questions about when check-in opens. I have seen this work in other airports and it is neither difficult nor technologically challenging.

OA260

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:57 am

EI320 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
DalRiada wrote:

Spot on.

On this forum we make a distinction between the airline and their third-party handling agent, but this distinction is irrelevant to the passenger. The passenger’s contract is with the airline. The handling agent is the airline.

As such, if LH advises that check-in opens at 02:30, it is their responsibility to staff the desks from 02:30.

Following my recent experience, I’ve opted to switch business over to BA for a while. While DUB was bad, FRA was no less of a s***show but there’s no point going into that on this thread.

100% correct the buck stops with the company you sign the T&C's with .

Regarding LH I rarely look at them these days from DUB. I see they just lost their fake 5* Sky-fix rating!

Flew back ACE - LGW the other day with BA CE . Was expecting issues and at LGW but to my surprise everything went smoothly . E Gates all open on arrival and through in 2 mins then bags off in 10 mins. Place was spotlessly clean despite the renovation works.

Then the next day flew back LHR - DUB on the A330
in Aer Space . T2 LHR a breeze . I notice a recent change at EI check in there where you are greeted by a agent at the entrance podium then if you need a BP they print one. You then proceed to un staffed check in desk which has been converted to a self tag screen.
Not as well designed as DUB EI SSK. There is an agent
hanging around should you need assistance but I cant quite see how it improves the experience . In fact it takes a bit longer .

The arrival into DUB was hassle free . As the door was opened a crew member gave the air bridge operator a bag of sweets and thanked them for being there so quickly to meet the aircraft !

Phen

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
There is an agent hanging around should you need assistance but I cant quite see how it improves the experience . In fact it takes a bit longer.

Maybe I'm too cynical and I suppose its just stating the obvious really but its likely more about less cost (in terms of staff on duty) than trying to improve passenger experience. A lot of things EI have done recently are not for the passenger's benefit. EI seems to go through cycles of cost (and thus) service reduction and then months and years later come around again to trying to innovate and improve their offering and then the bubble bursts and back to cost reduction again. I'd say we are still firmly in the cost reduction phase right now whereas the introduction of AerSpace and the talk pre-covid of offering a glass of wine with dinner in Y class on TA flights was the earlier part of the cycle before covid struck.

bennett123

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:47 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
DalRiada wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Not sure the handling agent is at fault here...

Check-in from 03:15 opened on time and showing up at 02.30 goes against daa advise. Had LH asked for 02:30 they woud probally get it as LH would be one of there largest clients even with staffing issues.

LH probably asked daa for dispensation for their pax seeing as they were let into the terminal that early whereas FR pax were asked to wait outside.

Not disagreeing but its always opened at 03:15. Its poor communication from LH and they should review the advise.

Many airports are open 24 hours a day.

I have walked into both Heathrow and Gatwick in the early hours.

JAmie2k9

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:48 pm

bennett123 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
DalRiada wrote:

So is DUB, I was referring to crowd control measures currently in place outaide.

shamrocka330

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Lots of EI flights cancelled today due to lack of cockpit crew. The EI rep manning the Twitter account is having a challenging day, lots of very frustrated passengers.

eidvm

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:14 pm

shamrocka330 wrote:
Lots of EI flights cancelled today due to lack of cockpit crew. The EI rep manning the Twitter account is having a challenging day, lots of very frustrated passengers.

At Dublin airport waiting for a flight and overheard the ground staff saying that over 12 flights have been cancelled today as pilots called in sick and there’s no sickness cover planned in and other pilots are all refusing to come in on their days off in an unofficial work to rule until their COVID pay cut is reversed.

According to the ground staff the pilots are all super peeved with the airline and are passively trying to sabotage the operation until their pay is restored from what I could overhear, no one coming in on their days off when asked. The staff sounded quite bemused and supportive of the whole thing.

Apart from that, total cluster at the airport with angry passengers everywhere, security quite quick though, busy but got through in about 20-25 minutes despite this. Inside the terminal is filthy, clearly all the cleaning staff are being redeployed to help coordinate the security queues, awful last impression of the country for any tourists leaving.

shamrocka330

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:27 pm

eidvm wrote:
shamrocka330 wrote:

At Dublin airport waiting for a flight and overheard the ground staff saying that over 12 flights have been cancelled today as pilots called in sick and there’s no sickness cover planned in and other pilots are all refusing to come in on their days off in an unofficial work to rule until their COVID pay cut is reversed.

According to the ground staff the pilots are all super peeved with the airline and are passively trying to sabotage the operation until their pay is restored from what I could overhear, no one coming in on their days off when asked. The staff sounded quite bemused and supportive of the whole thing.

Apart from that, total cluster at the airport with angry passengers everywhere, security quite quick though, busy but got through in about 20-25 minutes despite this. Inside the terminal is filthy, clearly all the cleaning staff are being redeployed to help coordinate the security queues, awful last impression of the country for any tourists leaving.

I had heard that about the pilots today as well - a lot of absence today, whether intentional or otherwise is debatable. Ballot held two weeks ago by the pilots who voted 98% in favour of industrial action - rumour from within EI is that this is planned for the August BH weekend (this is what I’ve heard so please don’t attack!).

Back to today, and it’s apparent that pilots are being militant and are not volunteering for extra flights when needed and are basically doing the bare minimum, it’s a complete mess. Be interesting to see how this one plays out because it is seriously impacting the operation.

Wonder will EI give in and restore pay to pre covid levels. I’m sure the pilots are arguing that passenger and cargo numbers are back to pre covid numbers, the new aircraft arriving next month and the bringing back of the -200’s will strengthen their case.

JAmie2k9

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:28 pm

shamrocka330 wrote:

Is it just crew issues or did the schedule down 2 A320s today have any impact?

LAXffDUB

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:06 pm

bennett123 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
DalRiada wrote:

That reminds me of a general PA announcement I heard the other day at LAX. They stressed quite pointedly that "the airport is closed to the general public". They go on to say that "the only persons who should be on the premises are those travelling, anyone assisting them and employees". It was made several times while I was waiting for my flight.

Aside from wondering how that could be enforced, I'm guessing it's a legal remedy for the airport authority to keep transients from taking up residence.

shamrocka330

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
shamrocka330 wrote:

Are they down 2 A320s? Ouch, that won’t be helping things.

ClassicLover

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:28 pm

OA260 wrote:
Then the next day flew back LHR - DUB on the A330 in Aer Space .

Any top tips for AerSpace?

With the current pricing, sometimes less than Saver (!!) and often only €10 or €20 more, it's been a no brainer booking into AerSpace. I have three flights booked so far, London to Dublin next month, Dublin to London in August, and Madrid to Dublin in April next year. Two A321neos and a standard 320 on the Madrid.

Just wondering if the one item of food and one drink from the Bia menu is enforced or if they give you more. Can you use business class check-in at Dublin?

JAmie2k9

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:03 pm

shamrocka330 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
shamrocka330 wrote:

Are they down 2 A320s? Ouch, that won’t be helping things.

Not sure how much slack they have this in the schedule but two didn't return to base.

A320 in Izmir and returned to DUB at 17:00 today. The crew timed out because of a delay on the outbound. Another one in Malaga and arrived back at 20:00. There there was some French cancellations for ATC.

Pilots could be not working extra hours but this is Aer Lingus so they havn't always had enough resoures pre Covid. I see they are claiming crew illness for some of the disruption wihch could be true considering the surge in Covid cases again.

TUI also claim crew illness impacted them in recent days at DUB.
_____

On a sperate note, security had some issues today at times. Rostering on Sundays seems to be a recurring problem though they still said were on tack for 900 staff by end of this month and adding a further 100 in July.

Handling is the main issue now, some servious delays because of staffing problems.

Eagleboy

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:02 pm

Phen wrote:
OA260 wrote:
There is an agent hanging around should you need assistance but I cant quite see how it improves the experience . In fact it takes a bit longer.

Maybe I'm too cynical and I suppose its just stating the obvious really but its likely more about less cost (in terms of staff on duty) than trying to improve passenger experience. A lot of things EI have done recently are not for the passenger's benefit. EI seems to go through cycles of cost (and thus) service reduction and then months and years later come around again to trying to innovate and improve their offering and then the bubble bursts and back to cost reduction again. I'd say we are still firmly in the cost reduction phase right now whereas the introduction of AerSpace and the talk pre-covid of offering a glass of wine with dinner in Y class on TA flights was the earlier part of the cycle before covid struck.

100% on this

eidvm wrote:
shamrocka330 wrote:
.....At Dublin airport waiting for a flight and overheard the ground staff saying that over 12 flights have been cancelled today as pilots called in sick and there’s no sickness cover planned in and other pilots are all refusing to come in on their days off in an unofficial work to rule until their COVID pay cut is reversed. ........

any operation that assumes/relies on staff volunteering to work extra shifts is a badly planned/resourced operation.

OA260

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:39 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

With the current pricing, sometimes less than Saver (!!) and often only €10 or €20 more, it's been a no brainer booking into AerSpace. I have three flights booked so far, London to Dublin next month, Dublin to London in August, and Madrid to Dublin in April next year. Two A321neos and a standard 320 on the Madrid.

Just wondering if the one item of food and one drink from the Bia menu is enforced or if they give you more. Can you use business class check-in at Dublin?

Some fantastic fares on majority of Euro routes. It certainly pays to take AerSpace just for the flexibility.
I have noticed September fares have been slashed in
most fare types. Lead fares to BCN €89 return and AMS HAM €59. AerSpace to BCN is very cheap . I am hearing that after the kids go back there will be a drop from early September more then usual which may account
for the trend in slashing fares so early. There are signs
that the Irish will have their Summer trips but then
tighten their belts as global issues cause deeper pain for households. High energy costs going into Autumn and other pressures will impact those extra trips.
Talks of a possible recession also cause people to think.

Regarding free food I have rarely had issues asking for drink - sandwich - choc bar . The other day I actually ate before at Shan Shui next to the Aer Lingus lounge which I highly recommend. I just asked for
a soft drink and Taytos onboard . Others were ordering
various alcohol and snacks etc ..

Three more trips and Im Concierge ! Never thought that would happen this year . Hoping to use the free upgrades after my TATL QM2 cruise to fly back from JFK .

FatCat

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:21 am

EI432, A320-214 EI-EDP DUB-LIN is squawking 7700 right now, steep descent from FL35, now cruising FL12 over Lyon, I bet pressurization issues.

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:39 am

OA260 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Some fantastic fares on majority of Euro routes. It certainly pays to take AerSpace just for the flexibility. I have noticed September fares have been slashed in most fare types. Lead fares to BCN €89 return and AMS HAM €59. AerSpace to BCN is very cheap . I am hearing that after the kids go back there will be a drop from early September more then usual which may account for the trend in slashing fares so early. There are signs that the Irish will have their Summer trips but then tighten their belts as global issues cause deeper pain for households. High energy costs going into Autumn and other pressures will impact those extra trips. Talks of a possible recession also cause people to think.

Regarding free food I have rarely had issues asking for drink - sandwich - choc bar . The other day I actually ate before at Shan Shui next to the Aer Lingus lounge which I highly recommend. I just asked for a soft drink and Taytos onboard . Others were ordering various alcohol and snacks etc ..

Three more trips and Im Concierge ! Never thought that would happen this year . Hoping to use the free upgrades after my TATL QM2 cruise to fly back from JFK .

Some excellent prices there, it'll be interesting to see how things pan out as the year goes on.

Thanks for the advice and the recommendation for Shan Shui - I'll have enough time on at least one of my trips through LHR, so I'll give it a whirl.

Jealous you're going on the QM2! I've only done Cunard once on the QE2 back in 2008 and really should get on the QM2 for another transatlantic... maybe westbound his time, as I did the other from New York to Southampton.

EIEIDW

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:23 am

According to Cardiff Airport Twitter, Emerald launching 5x weekly BHD-CWL from 7th July 2022

EIEIDW

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 am

Phen

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:53 am

FatCat wrote:
EI432, A320-214 EI-EDP DUB-LIN is squawking 7700 right now, steep descent from FL35, now cruising FL12 over Lyon, I bet pressurization issues.

I see from FR24 that they only spent just over an hour on the ground before departing for LIN again. I'd be very surprised if they sorted out a serious pressurisation issue so quickly, given the likely technical issues which would have led such an issue in the first place probably needing more than 1 hour on the ground to sort out. They crossed the Alps no problem at FL230 on the second leg. Also you're dealing with a 3rd party maintenance team who again would be slower to sort out something serious like that than your own mx at home base. More likely is a medical diversion although I don't think squawking 7700 would be routine in a medical emergency, so I cant explain that (unless FR24 is incorrect on the squawk).

OA260

Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:12 am

EIEIDW wrote:

Its fantastic news the SOU was badly needed by a reliable operator . Would love to see DUB also.

https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news ... on-Flights

BrianDromey

Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 am

OA260 wrote:

It’s great to see Emerald doing well at BHD. I saw a pair of EIR ATRs at Manchester yesterday while waiting for my FR to Cork. I noticed Eastern had cancelled Sunday and Mondays flights to SOU, so can see why EI might be doing well against them.
Are these flights filling gaps in the schedules or have other routes been reduced?

T3 at MAN is as cramped and busy as ever in the central area. Oddly the gate areas are relatively spacious. It could be a decent experience if MAN could find a way to reduce the number of check-in desks and repurpose the space airside. FR had 2 desks open for 8 or so flights! On a more positive note MAN have turned the old BA lounge into an additional seating area - worth noting if posters are travelling through MAN and don’t have lounge access.

BDKLEZ

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:38 pm

So, a quote from the article...."In addition, we will continue to add more routes and increase frequencies over the coming months.”

So any ideas what are we likely to see in terms of new routes?

nickya340

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 pm

BDKLEZ wrote:
So, a quote from the article...."In addition, we will continue to add more routes and increase frequencies over the coming months.”

So any ideas what are we likely to see in terms of new routes?

Possibly DSA as a non served route that would be viable, after that they would be going up against EasyJet (maybe LPL?) and Loganair and Flybe on Scottish routes like INV and ABZ.

A60Stock

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Even though I don’t live near there anymore, I always thought NWI would have been a large enough population centre to support a few ATR-72’s per week to DUB to compete against the only other hub connection at AMS. If I were a marketing man putting ads in the local press and ITV Anglia, I’d frame it like “Why head east when you’re trying to go west?”

EIEIDW

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:44 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Are these flights filling gaps in the schedules or have other routes been reduced?

It looks as though additional rotations to Manchester and Glasgow have been added on some days of the week effective 7 July so another ATR will be required. Crazy to see these flights being added just over a week before commencement!

OA260

Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:43 pm

The operator of Dublin and Cork Airports, daa, made a loss of €103 million in 2021 and a cumulative loss of €387 million during Covid, according to its annual report, published today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0 ... s-in-2021/

Latest stats from daa

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 pm

OA260 wrote:
The operator of Dublin and Cork Airports, daa, made a loss of €103 million in 2021 and a cumulative loss of €387 million during Covid, according to its annual report, published today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0 ... s-in-2021/

Latest stats from daa

I have little doubt they'll be back in profit soon enough!

OA260

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:29 pm

Some more cancellations this evening :

More Aer Lingus flights cancelled at Dublin Airport

This evening the Aer Lingus flights from Dublin Airport which were cancelled were the 6.45pm to Brussels and the 6.35pm to Frankfurt. Return flights from those cities at 10.50pm and 9.45pm were also cancelled this evening. A London Gatwick to Dublin flight, which was due at 9.35pm, was also cancelled.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/new ... 95724.html

opticalilyushin

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 pm

EIEIDW wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

It looks as though additional rotations to Manchester and Glasgow have been added on some days of the week effective 7 July so another ATR will be required. Crazy to see these flights being added just over a week before commencement!

More ATRs to arrive at BHD shortly, and combined with Flybe's increase in activities, the airport is becoming so busy they're having to look at additional remote parking options. The big question is Which will survive there? Purple or Green? I know who I'd have my money on..

OA260

Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:06 pm

The army is on stand by to be deployed to DUB

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/06 ... port-army/

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:39 pm

OA260 wrote:
The army is on stand by to be deployed to DUB

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/06 ... port-army/

The really good take-aways from this are -

1. 91% of the 50,000 to 55,000 passengers that departed Dublin Airport each day cleared security screening in less than 45 minutes.

2. during the first three weeks of June, saw 93% of all passengers spend 45 minutes or less queuing at Dublin Airport's security screening areas, while 77% of passengers queued for 30 minutes or less.

.3. He said the period between 6 July and 15 August is when he says the airport "might need standby".

(and that last point is only if people are out due to Covid)

Better stats than you might be led to believe really.... though it doesn't say what the longest waiting time was for the 9% over 45 minutes for example.

LH982

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm

I'd take any stats from the DAA with a large pinch of salt. The wait times showing in the terminals, regularly proved to be nonsense.

iRISH251

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm

LH982 wrote:
I'd take any stats from the DAA with a large pinch of salt. The wait times showing in the terminals, regularly proved to be nonsense.

I am not defending the DAA, but that's a completely different type of measurement and it is not the generation of statistics. Estimating what is going to happen for people joining the screening queue in real time is by its nature imprecise, whereas I would expect a public body to do its best to produce accurate statistics after the event. The provision of knowingly inaccurate information to Ministers and the Government would be a serious matter and not something I would expect a public body to risk doing. Of course, they may select which stats to publish and choose those that put the organisation in a relatively good light.

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:37 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
LH982 wrote:

I am not defending the DAA, but that's a completely different type of measurement and it is not the generation of statistics. Estimating what is going to happen for people joining the screening queue in real time is by its nature imprecise, whereas I would expect a public body to do its best to produce accurate statistics after the event. The provision of knowingly inaccurate information to Ministers and the Government would be a serious matter and not something I would expect a public body to risk doing. Of course, they may select which stats to publish and choose those that put the organisation in a relatively good light.

In fairness to the DAA, they have specifically said that the wait times displayed at the queues are based on how long its taken people in the last 10 minutes to get through, so it does vary. If 300 people arrive at once, the 30 minute wait on screen might turn out to be 45. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, I guess!

LH982

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:49 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
LH982 wrote:

As far as I'm aware, they've never explained how they calculate the statistics. It cannot be automatic, as they've no scan when you join the queue, and also no scan when you exit security. That's more than enough wiggle room to present anything you want, as long as it's not obvious lies.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:01 pm

LH982 wrote:
iRISH251 wrote:
LH982 wrote:

As far as I'm aware, they've never explained how they calculate the statistics. It cannot be automatic, as they've no scan when you join the queue, and also no scan when you exit security. That's more than enough wiggle room to present anything you want, as long as it's not obvious lies.

I think its based on bluetooth/wifi data.

Also below on the website:

The security queue times displayed are not fully real-time, they represent the median queue time that it took passengers to complete the Security screening process in the previous 15 minutes. This means individual passengers can experience queue times that can be either longer or shorter than the time displayed. However, showing this median time can give an indication of the queue time that passengers can expect.

In Terminal 1, the queue time shown is measured from Check-in Area 7, i.e. it covers extended queuing within the departures floor. However, if the queue goes beyond this point, that part of the queue time is not captured.

In Terminal 2, the queue time shown is measured from the top of the escalators on the Level 2, i.e. it covers queuing across that area. However, if the queue goes beyond this point, that part of the queue time is not captured.

LH982

Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:09 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
iRISH251 wrote:
LH982 wrote:

In fairness to the DAA, they have specifically said that the wait times displayed at the queues are based on how long its taken people in the last 10 minutes to get through, so it does vary. If 300 people arrive at once, the 30 minute wait on screen might turn out to be 45. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, I guess!

Just give estimated wait times, based on where you are in the queue. You can change the positions based on how many scanners you have open.

I've joined a queue that said 35 minutes, then changed to 45 minutes 10-15 minutes later, and actually took 65 minutes. Looking at the queue I knew that it was never going to be 35 minutes, but most people didn't. Why do this to people?

LH982

Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:12 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
LH982 wrote:
iRISH251 wrote:

I think its based on bluetooth/wifi data.

Also below on the website:

The security queue times displayed are not fully real-time, they represent the median queue time that it took passengers to complete the Security screening process in the previous 15 minutes. This means individual passengers can experience queue times that can be either longer or shorter than the time displayed. However, showing this median time can give an indication of the queue time that passengers can expect.

In Terminal 1, the queue time shown is measured from Check-in Area 7, i.e. it covers extended queuing within the departures floor. However, if the queue goes beyond this point, that part of the queue time is not captured.

In Terminal 2, the queue time shown is measured from the top of the escalators on the Level 2, i.e. it covers queuing across that area. However, if the queue goes beyond this point, that part of the queue time is not captured.

Thanks for the information. It would be interesting to know the queuing times to when you go out of the captured areas, and if they are allowing for this in the statistics

LH982

Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm

Duplicate post

cc47

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:17 pm

Hello All,
I was booked on EI725 LHR-ORK on 23rd July, and unfortunately this has been cancelled and I've been rebooked onto EI723, which won't suit. I've booked myself onto EI183 to DUB. I have a few questions:
1) How long do EI take to process refunds? I should be entitled according to their website as my rescheduled flight was more than 2hrs earlier.
2) Having applied for this refund, will they leave my outbound leg intact (EI710 the day before) or is the whole booking refunded. I hope it's the former.
3) Is it always an A320 on EI183 on Saturdays, I'd love if I got an A330 for a change, the A320neo would be nice aswell if this is going to be on the route.
Thanks lads.

Eagleboy

Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:55 pm

cc47 wrote:
Hello All,
I was booked on EI725 LHR-ORK on 23rd July, and unfortunately this has been cancelled and I've been rebooked onto EI723, which won't suit. I've booked myself onto EI183 to DUB. I have a few questions:
1) How long do EI take to process refunds? I should be entitled according to their website as my rescheduled flight was more than 2hrs earlier.
2) Having applied for this refund, will they leave my outbound leg intact (EI710 the day before) or is the whole booking refunded. I hope it's the former.
3) Is it always an A320 on EI183 on Saturdays, I'd love if I got an A330 for a change, the A320neo would be nice aswell if this is going to be on the route.
Thanks lads.

3)The later DUB-LHR_DUB is an A330, I think 186/189?
The A320neo wont be in operation for 3-4 weeks.

ClassicLover

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:31 am

cc47 wrote:
Hello All,
Thanks lads.

1) Refunds can take some time, it all depends how much they have in the queue.

2) You are going to have to telephone Aer Lingus to ask this question. Usually if you apply for a refund, it will apply to the entire booking. Irish number is (01) 761 7834.

3) It's set as an A320 now and it's highly unlikely it will change, so it'll be an A320 on your flight.

Good luck!!

iRISH251

Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:59 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
cc47 wrote:
Hello All,
Thanks lads.

3)The later DUB-LHR_DUB is an A330, I think 186/189?
The A320neo wont be in operation for 3-4 weeks.

AFAIK, currently EI182/3 is operated by an A330 several days a week and is the carrier's last LHR departure to DUB, bar on Fridays when EI185 (A320) departs at 2230.

OA260

Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm

Flights cancelled
Aer Lingus has had to cancel 12 further flights today as a result of a spike in Covid cases. The airline has also said it will work to assist passengers “as efficiently as possible” if there are further cancellations in the coming days.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/12- ... 01556.html?

It seems today was the most amount of flights so far
to be cancelled .

ClassicLover

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:36 pm

OA260 wrote:
It seems today was the most amount of flights so far to be cancelled .

Love the Ryanair quote at the end, which is basically, "All good here, we planned for this demand" :) Fair play!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos