Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 6/22: Brought to you by the letter "Q"

Tue May 31, 2022 4:02 pm

Greetings all and it's amazing to think we're already nearly half way through the year. Equally amazing to think that this time last year, we were waiting patiently for July the 19th, for our chance to travel again, And now look; the joy is unconfined.

Or not …

Throughout the last month, there have been issues with queuing and security checks, but the last few days have seen queues that wouldn't be out of place in a country that had seen a coup, with most of the population trying to escape; it's the fall of Saigon without the singing ...

Traffic is now closing in on 2019 figures, currently 14% behind; FR has seen traffic in April 1200% above the previous year, for obvious reasons.

There have been some positive developments this past month:

- FR announces €10m investment in maintenance facility at Shannon;
- Blue Islands and Aurigny sort out regulatory issues and finally start DUB services
- Westjet adds YYZ and YYC services to DUB
- EI back to LAX
- 3 new EIR routes from BHD, 3 "new" ATR72s added

I won't go into the negatives here, but you need hardly guess. It's sad that it has taken something of the kind we've seen over the past few days to get the government involved; again, we see reaction, not proactivity and as some observers have pointed, we need proactivity right across the board, from competition, to cleanliness, to ground access improvements. The minister's antipathy to aviation is well known and I do believe this is a factor, but what we need now is more than just a cosmetic "dressing down" of the DAA; we need long term planning. We need to consider, for example, if the DAA is best suited to running the pax side of an airport and maybe would be best suited to be an airport manager, with professional, experienced airport managers like Fraport, Zurich or Changi being invited to tender for management contracts. Do we need to consider whether the low cost model is sustainable, given the difficulty in attracting staff at the rates airport operators and ground handlers are willing to pay?

I guess the positive news is that the DAA will be under major pressure over the next few months to meet revised security targets and let's hope these new targets can be achieved and maintained.

And the title? Some of you, of a "certain" vintage, will recall Sesame Street, and introduction, brought to you by a particular letter and numbers. Any other similarity to muppets is purely coincidental. ;-)

Here's a link to the last thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1472477&start=200

OA260

Re: Irish 6/22: Brought to you by the letter "Q"

Tue May 31, 2022 4:55 pm

Thanks for a new thread .

I see EI3326 DUB - MAN declared an emergency this afternoon EI - HDH and returned to DUB.

LH982

Tue May 31, 2022 5:43 pm

Wanna buy an 8?

ClassicLover

Tue May 31, 2022 7:21 pm

Has anyone flown Loganair anywhere, by any chance?

I see they are flying both Aberdeen and Inverness from Dublin and I think I'd like to give them a whirl.

Clydenairways

Tue May 31, 2022 8:21 pm

kaitak wrote:
I won't go into the negatives here, but you need hardly guess. It's sad that it has taken something of the kind we've seen over the past few days to get the government involved; again, we see reaction, not proactivity and as some observers have pointed, we need proactivity right across the board, from competition, to cleanliness, to ground access improvements. The minister's antipathy to aviation is well known and I do believe this is a factor, but what we need now is more than just a cosmetic "dressing down" of the DAA; we need long term planning. We need to consider, for example, if the DAA is best suited to running the pax side of an airport and maybe would be best suited to be an airport manager, with professional, experienced airport managers like Fraport, Zurich or Changi being invited to tender for management contracts. Do we need to consider whether the low cost model is sustainable, given the difficulty in attracting staff at the rates airport operators and ground handlers are willing to pay?

I would have been interesting being a fly on the wall during that meeting, not sure i imagine the current minister having anyone quaking in their boots.

The last question about a sustainable low cost model has been around for a good while now, but it is still a very valid debate. There are pros and cons on both sides of the argument. I honestly cant see it changing though, Ryanair's business model totally depends on it.
With 2 years of no travel i would imagine Ryanair was maybe getting a bit worried that people would start to question the need to travel so often when the lockdowns were removed. And while they might of helped facilitate the recovery by restoring connections quickly, it seems they called it right and the public really wanted to get back travelling again.

EISG1129

Tue May 31, 2022 8:29 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Has anyone flown Loganair anywhere, by any chance?

I see they are flying both Aberdeen and Inverness from Dublin and I think I'd like to give them a whirl.

I've flown them a few times and have found them good to fly with them. I flew with them a few times while living on the Isle of Man on their Saab 340. The most recent time I flew them was DUB-INV on an Embraer ERJ145. At that stage (July 2019), they still gave a complimentary tea/coffee and biscuit service. I've always found the crews polite. Unless anything's changed since I last flew with them (which I appreciate is now a while), even their basic fare includes 15kg hold luggage.

Certainly no complaints from me.

OA260

Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:35 am

It seems it will be 12-18 months before DUB get the new scanners .

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/sca ... 08349.html

--

Irish Aviation Authority returned to profit last year

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0 ... last-year/

BrianDromey

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:00 am

OA260 wrote:
It seems it will be 12-18 months before DUB get the new scanners .

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/sca ... 08349.html

--

Irish Aviation Authority returned to profit last year

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0 ... last-year/

I travelled through Dublin this weekend and there are positives and negatives to report.
On the positive side there appear to be enough baggage and ground staff at both FR and EI to keep things moving - even when aircraft are off schedule due to handling delays elsewhere. This is especially bad on UK flights most UK airports are teetering on the brink of meltdown, LBA, LGW and MAN for sure.
Ground staff and security were efficient and friendly. Although queues were long there wasn’t a lot to complain about in terms of the attitudes of customer facing staff who were clearing working flat-out.

On the negative side, the airport is presented quite poorly. There is a lot of grime and rubbish in the Pier D arrivals corridor and the terrazzo flooring has clearly not been scrubbed and buffed in years. Its quite an achievement to have terrrazo flooring looking so bad and it has clearly not been claimed or maintained properly.
Security queues are around 90 minutes for the 0600 wave. Thats not a huge problem in itself. The issue is that people are coming at 0400 for 0900 flights. Baggage drop for EI at T2 was well over an hour. In the end we abandoned a few >100ml items and went hand luggage only. The messaging from EI is that baggage drop ones 2.5 hours before departure, while the DAA say to come at least 3 hours before departure. Its quite confusing and I would say 2.5 hours is nowhere near enough if you are planning on checking in luggage.
Obviously, there was no sign of DAA management or office staff being redeployed to manage queues at 0400. Everyone I saw was in Airport Police or Search Unit uniform.

Overall a pretty poor show from the DAA and I don’t think they are doing a lot to make things better. Its going to be a tough summer once things get going. We boarded from the remote boarding lounge area, relieved to hear that refreshments were available for purchase over there. Rejuvinated by the thought of a cuppa after 5 hours of queues, the Irish Mammy in front of me said said “They ought to be ashamed of themselves, they’re terrible, Gobsh**es, the whole lot of them”
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

OA260

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:40 am

Measures being proposed include restricting those arriving early . Outside covered waiting areas and toilets ! ( Hopefully with dedicated cleaners ) .

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/06 ... committee/

Eirules

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:34 am

OA260 wrote:
Measures being proposed include restricting those arriving early . Outside covered waiting areas and toilets ! ( Hopefully with dedicated cleaners ) .

Bring your own umbrella & bucket. Pathetic “plan”

Vicenza

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:05 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
With 2 years of no travel i would imagine Ryanair was maybe getting a bit worried that people would start to question the need to travel so often when the lockdowns were removed.

I have not seen (nor heard) of any evidence whatsoever of any such aspect from anywhere, and am quite curious how you possibly arrive at that.

Clydenairways

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
With 2 years of no travel i would imagine Ryanair was maybe getting a bit worried that people would start to question the need to travel so often when the lockdowns were removed.

I have not seen (nor heard) of any evidence whatsoever of any such aspect from anywhere, and am quite curious how you possibly arrive at that.

Second smart guy reply you have given me recently !

Not that i have to provide any evidence to you, but if you google there are plenty of online articles back in 2020 and 2021 speculating possible change in future travel habits.

shamrock350

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:28 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:

While we've yet to see any substantial evidence of this exactly, Ryanair and other airlines have felt it important to respond to similar arguments surrounding climate change so it's not hard to imagine the same questions were being asked when post pandemic travel trends were being discussed.

We saw the issue of travel being a right or privilege in a post pandemic world become one of the big talking points in the industry at the height of the crisis. There was a belief by some that even when travel reopened, the industry would see a rise of the so called conscious traveller, someone willing to travel less and consume less. This idea combined with the already building 'sustainable traveller' ethos in response to climate change and the expected reduction in frequent business travel certainly had some people thinking for a while.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/04/trav ... ravel.html

https://skift.com/2021/03/03/is-travel- ... discusses/

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021/05 ... ovid-world

Obviously these discussions took place at a time when things were much bleaker and the future of air travel wasn't clear. As we've seen this summer, we're a long way off people changing their travel habits and most of these theories have failed to materialise but it remains a talking point within the industry and the people at Ryanair are smart enough to keep their finger on the pulse.

LH982

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:08 pm

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:

€50 for access to the boutique waiting area.

Still 500+ bags piled up in T1 arrivals last night. Don't know if that's an improvement.

Are the customer satisfaction buttons still in use? I don't recall seeing them in the last few weeks.

DalRiada

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:09 pm

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:

What should they do that will sort the situation out between today and the weekend?

OA260

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:22 pm

DalRiada wrote:
Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:

What should they do that will sort the situation out between today and the weekend?

Ask operators to reduce / cancel a % of flights ? Seen it elsewhere and its taken the pressure off a bit . A figure of 1400 is currently being given of those who were stranded last week . The scenes of porto loos and tents is not desirable but just goes to show the mess we are in and emergency measures need taken. Triple pay for Summer for anyone willing to do overtime and government grants for the faster implementation of new scanners are just a few steps that could be taken. The scanners wont help solve Summer but they may ease October and Christmas .

AerTuras1987

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:50 pm

I'm surprised the DAA haven't hit the stop button on this and capped flight activity. I assume the operation will be audited to the high hilt by every single state agency with oversight during the June bank holiday weekend. It's a shame to see the reaction of people complaining about how the airport wasn't switched back on like a light switch, when not so long ago it was a criminal offence to go to an airport in this country. This was always going to happen after the last 2 years.

OA260

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:02 pm

From the article :

" The impact of this, was that the airport could not open six security lanes, three in each terminal. This led to a processing deficit of 1,200 passengers an hour. "

Are they saying they only planned on having 3 lanes in each Terminal ?

Going forward there should be a minimum of 6 lanes in each terminal at peak times even if there are times they are empty . We cant see scenes like last week . The new staff are now end of June .

al2637

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:05 pm

DalRiada wrote:

• Offer existing staff a bonus this weekend to ensure they turn up
  • Offer former staff big money to work the next weekend or 2. I'm sure they can encourage more than the 3-6 members from ORK they managed to "secure"
  • Move slots on a rolling basis to smooth out the peak departure times in the operation
    "peaks are expected on each day from Thursday to Monday in the morning, when “first waves” will see between 15,000-16,000 passengers arriving, followed by another three smaller waves of decreasing intensity, each consisting of between 8,000 and 14,000 passengers"
  • Ask the airlines to stop selling tickets for the next 7 days (as KLM did last week). Up to 10% of tickets are sold <7 days from departure

OA260

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:22 pm

Dublin Airport chief flew through VIP service last Saturday as passengers were faced with huge security queues

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ ... 09860.html

He will be running for office next !!

DalRiada

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:28 pm

al2637 wrote:
DalRiada wrote:

• Offer existing staff a bonus this weekend to ensure they turn up
  • Offer former staff big money to work the next weekend or 2. I'm sure they can encourage more than the 3-6 members from ORK they managed to "secure"
  • Move slots on a rolling basis to smooth out the peak departure times in the operation
    "peaks are expected on each day from Thursday to Monday in the morning, when “first waves” will see between 15,000-16,000 passengers arriving, followed by another three smaller waves of decreasing intensity, each consisting of between 8,000 and 14,000 passengers"
  • Ask the airlines to stop selling tickets for the next 7 days (as KLM did last week). Up to 10% of tickets are sold <7 days from departure

Point 1 is fair enough, though I understand security staff are on double or triple time when working off their typical roster. Former staff probably don’t have security clearance any more and you can’t ask airlines to move around flight timetables a week in advance - this isn’t your local taxi company coordinating a few pick ups at pub closing time.

It’s an issue happening all over Europe and the US to both airlines and airports. Staff levels should have been ramped up at the start of the year but I’m not sure how else they can clean up the mess in the next few days.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:38 pm

OA260 wrote:
From the article :

" The impact of this, was that the airport could not open six security lanes, three in each terminal. This led to a processing deficit of 1,200 passengers an hour. "

Are they saying they only planned on having 3 lanes in each Terminal ?

Going forward there should be a minimum of 6 lanes in each terminal at peak times even if there are times they are empty . We cant see scenes like last week . The new staff are now end of June .

6 lanes were closed Sunday because 20 staff didn't come to work for whatever reason. Then they say a further 17 should have been certified over the weekend that didn't happen.

The plan is 13 lanes in T1 from 4am Fri-Sun, 12 Mon and 12 lanes in T2 Fri-Sat and 11 Sun-Mon. Lets see if they manage it.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phen

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:52 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
the Irish Mammy in front of me said said “They ought to be ashamed of themselves, they’re terrible, Gobsh**es, the whole lot of them”
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Of course I agree with everyone here in saying the current situation is totally unacceptable and bordering on a national embarrassment, BUT, you could have heard that very same quote from that Irish mammy 18 months ago talking about people who were flying during the pandemic despite the restrictions/advice not to do so. I heard a snippet of Joe Duffy today and it seemed to have no shortage of people complaining about the situation in DUB. I would bet my bottom dollar some of the same people were on the show at the height of covid complaining about how it was a disgrace that the airport was still open, and flights still allowed in an out etc etc. A lot of people in Ireland wanted travel stopped outright, all flights cancelled etc. and they essentially got exactly what they wanted with the travel ban and army officers outside the terminals in Dublin. Now they are surprised that the primary airport of the country which decimated its own aviation industry with the strictest travel restrictions in Europe can't cope with the rebound in demand? Please. You reap what you sow.

AerTuras1987 wrote:
It's a shame to see the reaction of people complaining about how the airport wasn't switched back on like a light switch, when not so long ago it was a criminal offence to go to an airport in this country. This was always going to happen after the last 2 years.

Nail on the head.

Eirules

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:12 pm

DalRiada wrote:
Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Ask airlines to cancel / consolidate flights? Get staff in from other airports even at overtime rates? Close platinum services and move staff (which are all Garda vetted & security trained) to mainline duties?

DublinPaul

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:01 am

Vicenza wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:

I told you a while ago that I was cutting back on travel and switching to ships where possible because flying is a miserable experience.
My experience at Schiphol Airport on Monday of this week has only copper fastened that resolve. I can assure you I'm not alone.

The aviation industry is eating itself.

EI6901

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:51 am

Passed through the airport last Monday morning with LH business to MUC. I was at th airport 3 hours before the departure time. Even with "Fast-Track" it took 90 minutes for check-in and security. T1 particularly in the area around the 300 gates (arrival and departure) is dark, filthy and shoddy (for example stinking toilets with broken fixtures). Flight delayed by 45 minutes due to problems in T1. The DAA lounge had no seating available and practically no food. They shouldn't be allowing people to enter the lounge if it's full. People were sitting on the (dirty) window sills and were then told "you can't sit there". I will be avoiding the airport for the foreseeable future.

BrianDromey

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:53 am

Phen wrote:
Of course I agree with everyone here in saying the current situation is totally unacceptable and bordering on a national embarrassment, BUT, you could have heard that very same quote from that Irish mammy 18 months ago talking about people who were flying during the pandemic despite the restrictions/advice not to do so. I heard a snippet of Joe Duffy today and it seemed to have no shortage of people complaining about the situation in DUB. I would bet my bottom dollar some of the same people were on the show at the height of covid complaining about how it was a disgrace that the airport was still open, and flights still allowed in an out etc etc.

My point was more that a polite, patient and well dressed woman in her 60s was so exasperated by the queues that the thought of a cup of tea (decent or otherwise) pushed the end of her patience.
Its easy to blame the public, blame the government, blame the airlines, blame the media, blame social media, blame travellers (as MAN was doing at one point). The truth is that governments in the UK and Ireland spent millions on furlough schemes to keep the wheels on the economy and protect jobs. Airport operators and ground handlers have brought this on themselves by offering poor wages and poor working conditions. Everyone knew what airlines had on-sale for this summer, everyone knew the slot exemptions were being enforced and that thousands had left the industry.
In fairness no-one knew that there would be zero COVID restrictions in almost every market, which is the issue. Which scenario is more costly? Hiring staff you can’t use, or paying refunds/compensation to passengers you cant serve and the reputational damage?

AerTuras1987

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:19 am

BrianDromey wrote:
Airport operators and ground handlers have brought this on themselves by offering poor wages and poor working conditions.

Brian, how many years experience have you negotiating with airlines? Wages and conditions are determined by your customers requirements. Airlines won't pay a penny & demand the world.

It is no exaggeration to say pricing for service providers to airlines has at least halved in the last 20 years (adjusted for inflation). It is now a cut throat industry. The reason for this is business people 30 years ago realized that if you run an airline in a certain way you can make millions. Whether that is right or wrong the reality on the ground is countless services providers have gone bust or withdrawn from Dublin Airport over the years. For example airlines used to have in house ticket desks and ground handling, countless line maintenance providers have come and gone. This is a result of the race to the bottom and pushing the boundaries. The skillset needed is a limited pool and if you get into a wages race, which happens, your business will fold like a deck of cards. Whoever is to blame for last weekend is not airport operators or certainly not ground handling. You can't make an industry illegal for the guts of 2 years and then just roll it back out.

I am speaking from a direct aviation business view, let me tell you furlough did nothing for the bottom line when it's a negative result & the doors were closed.

dstc47

Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:20 pm

Inquest has today returned an accidental death verdicts for the crew of the lost Rescue 116 helicopter.
A sad reminded to us all that provision of air sea rescue is not without significant risk.

Vicenza

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:23 pm

AerTuras1987 wrote:
You can't make an industry illegal for the guts of 2 years and then just roll it back out.

Surely a strange comment and really pushing the boundaries of what 'illegal' is.

Vicenza

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:35 pm

DublinPaul wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:

I told you a while ago that I was cutting back on travel and switching to ships where possible because flying is a miserable experience.
My experience at Schiphol Airport on Monday of this week has only copper fastened that resolve. I can assure you I'm not alone.

The aviation industry is eating itself.

I personally have no interest in what way you choose to travel, and that is entirely up to you and your opinion. If you are switching to ships then you aren't particularly cutting travel.....indeed, using Schipol this week despite all your previous claims lol!! But, what exactly has your response got to do with my post to the member, and particularly as the delays are caused by so many people wishing to fly, and thus clearly shows you obviously do not speak for as many people as you seem to think.

shamrock350

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:39 pm

Vicenza wrote:
AerTuras1987 wrote:
You can't make an industry illegal for the guts of 2 years and then just roll it back out.

Surely a strange comment and really pushing the boundaries of what 'illegal' is.

April 2021

“For now, the message is no non-essential international travel. It’s against the law. And people should not be holidaying away from home.”

- Simon Coveney, Minister for Foreign Affairs

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-inter ... 4-Apr2021/

As a result of this policy, fines of up to €2000 were issued to hundreds, if not thousands of people who attempted to travel for so called non-essential reasons last summer.

Once again, this was well discussed at the time.
Last edited by shamrock350 on Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OA260

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:40 pm

Clydenairways

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:34 pm

Fairly sure i saw Egyptair on approach into DUB today, have they started scheduled ops ?

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:45 pm

Yes, SU-GFQ operated the first flight, arriving at about 1.40pm and parked at 311R. Great to see it and wish them success on the route. Don't know what the loads were like. I believe it's 4 weekly.

Eirules

Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:43 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
Fairly sure i saw Egyptair on approach into DUB today, have they started scheduled ops ?

Yeah I saw it on the departures board to “Kairo”. Never seen it spelled that way

Vicenza

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:09 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
April 2021

“For now, the message is no non-essential international travel. It’s against the law. And people should not be holidaying away from home.”

- Simon Coveney, Minister for Foreign Affairs

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-inter ... 4-Apr2021/

As a result of this policy, fines of up to €2000 were issued to hundreds, if not thousands of people who attempted to travel for so called non-essential reasons last summer.

Once again, this was well discussed at the time.

Yes indeed, but that specifically states, and correctly applies, to non-essential international travel. I am not questioning that, but stating in context that the aviation industry was illegal is completely incorrect and deliberately misleading. All travel was certainly not 'illegal' from Ireland and, indeed, as many on these boards can testify to by having done it.

Jambost

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:17 pm

For those interested I noticed on Google maps that the A380 was snapped prior to its scrapping. Thought it would be worth sharing.

https://goo.gl/maps/2Lh4Pt43uyuuzSDv6

DublinPaul

Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:26 pm

Vicenza wrote:

I personally have no interest in what way you choose to travel, and that is entirely up to you and your opinion. If you are switching to ships then you aren't particularly cutting travel.....indeed, using Schipol this week despite all your previous claims lol!! But, what exactly has your response got to do with my post to the member, and particularly as the delays are caused by so many people wishing to fly, and thus clearly shows you obviously do not speak for as many people as you seem to think.

Okay, a few things there need answering:

Somehow you conclude ..."you aren't particularly cutting air travel"
I used to travel 6-8 times a year, so far this year it's been 2, (one of which contains an Ireland-France journey by ship). I'd call that a big reduction.
Maybe you wouldn't?

Then there's this:
You said "...indeed, using Schipol this week despite all your previous claims lol!!..."
I see what you did there.
You slightly misrepresent my position by implying that I said I would never fly again, so you could undermine my credibility with your flippant response. Your "... lol!!.." at the end implies that you think you have scored some sort of a point and that is regrettable and sour.
My position remains that I will fly a lot less, with fewer trips and serious consideration given to alternative transport modes. What's not clear about that?

Next up you asked this incredible question: ..."But, what exactly has your response got to do with my post to the member"
Do you really need this spelled out?

The member said: "...Ryanair was maybe getting a bit worried that people would start to question the need to travel so often..."
You said: "...I have not seen (nor heard) of any evidence whatsoever of any such aspect from anywhere..."
I said : "...I told you a while ago that I was cutting back on travel and switching to ships where possible..."

That all seems to flow fairly sequentially and logically. What exactly is your difficulty?

And this: You said..."the delays are caused by so many people wishing to fly...
The delays are in fact caused by understaffing at the airport - the numbers flying are still below pre Covid times. It would seem to be self evident that the current chaos will cause some people to reduce their air travel - to what extent is unknowable at this time.

And this gem that you concluded with: "...and thus clearly shows you obviously do not speak for as many people as you seem to think."
I speak for myself.
There are many like minded people. Would you dispute that? I put no figure on it and you cannot know what I think if I don't express it.

What is clear is that logic and reason are not your strong point with a conclusion like that.

Just to reiterate, the aviation industry is eating itself.

OA260

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:40 pm

All eyes on Dublin Airport :

Dublin Airport: The Friday morning pinch points as 36 flights to depart in one hour
Departures Road at T1 has been closed this evening
Construction underway on new holding pens for passengers
Queues expected to build from 3.30am on Friday
Aer Lingus advising passengers to drop bags tonight

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/n ... 14971.html

Clydenairways

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:16 pm

OA260 wrote:
All eyes on Dublin Airport :

Dublin Airport: The Friday morning pinch points as 36 flights to depart in one hour
Departures Road at T1 has been closed this evening
Construction underway on new holding pens for passengers
Queues expected to build from 3.30am on Friday

Is Ryanair allowing bags to be dropped the night before too?

veron

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:59 pm

Terrible queues for check-in and security north of the border at the moment as well.... at BFS anyway. It really is an awful airport, one that I have only used due to the decent route network and reasonable cost of flights with EZY. Fingers crossed things improve a lot before the schools finish in a few weeks.

In contrast to BFS, I've flown out of BHD 4 times in the past 6 weeks and I would estimate I was averaging landslide to airside transfer through security to be in the single figures. Well done BHD!

OA260

Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:02 am

Dublin Airport queues described as ‘quick and painless’ – here’s your hour-by-hour guide to how busy departures will be across the day
DAA say queue times now at 10 minutes in both terminals
No queues in holding area tents
‘We were panicked when we saw what happened last weekend’ – says passengers

This morning not too bad at 4:30am there were queues outside the marquee but reports it took around 45-60 mins from that point . There are two lines one for security and one for check in .

--

Hipster coffee and table tennis: Inside Dublin Airport operator’s plush open-plan HQ, with views of the queues
Losing €1m a day and making a third of their staff redundant during the pandemic, Dublin Airport bosses still found the funds to fit out a lavish new open-plan office for themselves .

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/dubl ... 15942.html

richcandy

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:30 am

veron wrote:
Terrible queues for check-in and security north of the border at the moment as well.... at BFS anyway. It really is an awful airport, one that I have only used due to the decent route network and reasonable cost of flights with EZY. Fingers crossed things improve a lot before the schools finish in a few weeks.

In contrast to BFS, I've flown out of BHD 4 times in the past 6 weeks and I would estimate I was averaging landslide to airside transfer through security to be in the single figures. Well done BHD!

I must of been lucky flew STN-BFS-STN on Wednesday. STN was crazy, just hundreds of people trying to get to the lines for security. It took about 50 mins. There were still seats in the departures area so not as bad as its been. BFS no queue, one person in front of me at security so very quick.

BFS really could do with some work. The metal seats on the corridor down towards gate 18 are scratched and look dreadful. There were glasses, paper cups and food wrappers sitting around and the toilets were not the cleanest. I always think it feels like its bit of a strange layout. There is that central core which feels small and crowded and then that big corridor. The staff in Starbucks and the two or three shops that I went to were all very friendly. There is a new shop called allster just sells things made in NI. Nice to see places that sell things that are local rather than plush leprechauns made in China.

Alex

ClassicLover

Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:51 am

Eirules wrote:
Yeah I saw it on the departures board to “Kairo”. Never seen it spelled that way

Nobody has. The education system in this country has a lot to answer for... or the work experience kid was at the departures board setup again! :)

(Or perhaps someone from a country where they do spell it with a K, if there is one?)

OA260 wrote:
Hipster coffee and table tennis: Inside Dublin Airport operator’s plush open-plan HQ, with views of the queues
Losing €1m a day and making a third of their staff redundant during the pandemic, Dublin Airport bosses still found the funds to fit out a lavish new open-plan office for themselves .

This article is written to provoke outrage, nothing more, nothing less. The way it's worded, everything about it. They built a new office so all functions could be under one roof... what were they supposed to do, use the worst of everything and make it a real hell hole for staff? C'mon now... any brand new corporate office is usually as up to date as possible, because they're expected to be used for years and years. Skimping on a fit out is only done if you have to, and if you're building a new office, that never happens.

dstc47

Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:13 am

Well, there is a willingness to suddenly find fault - often by those whose own organisational arrangements might leave something to desire.

I had the dubious pleasure to view some of the TV Coverage of the Oireachtas Transport Committee, reviewing the DAA handling of the Dublin Airport queue crisis during the week, - the standard of questioning was generally poor and repetitive, members not listening to earlier answers or not understanding the obvious. Of course the diversion of services to SNN factor was raised twice. The DAA performance was less than stellar also but some interesting, and perhaps unnoticed, factors emerged. In particular that the proprietary software, used for security scheduling had been compromised by a hacking incident (at the system supplier it was suggested), leading to use of manual procedures where potential rostering errors were less easily identified.

JAmie2k9

Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:15 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Nobody has. The education system in this country has a lot to answer for... or the work experience kid was at the departures board setup again! :)

(Or perhaps someone from a country where they do spell it with a K, if there is one?)

OA260 wrote:

This article is written to provoke outrage, nothing more, nothing less. The way it's worded, everything about it. They built a new office so all functions could be under one roof... what were they supposed to do, use the worst of everything and make it a real hell hole for staff? C'mon now... any brand new corporate office is usually as up to date as possible, because they're expected to be used for years and years. Skimping on a fit out is only done if you have to, and if you're building a new office, that never happens.

They should have added a pool table and table soccer like most modern offices!

OA260

Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:22 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Flüge von Frankfurt nach Kairo ab 371 € ( according to LH ) ;)

Eirules

Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:03 pm

OA260 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Flüge von Frankfurt nach Kairo ab 371 € ( according to LH ) ;)

Ah somehow I knew it’d be the Germans ;)

OA260

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:54 pm

Some facts and figures for tomorrow :

Dublin Airport queues Saturday: your hour-by-hour guide to the busiest departure times in Terminals 1 and 2

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ ... 18803.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos