Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FiscAutTecGarte
Topic Author

JSX partners with SkyLink for inflight WiFi on their growing fleet.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:56 pm

The story is a month old, but I didn't see a specific mention of it here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/jet-company-jsx-kissed-frogs-spacex-starlink-wifi-deal-ceo-2022-4

What was fascinating to me was this mention:

"The aim is to have half of its fleet of 77 planes equipped with Starlink by December this year. The other half will be kitted out by the end of next year, Wilcox said. The deal between JSX and Starlink covers service on up to 100 planes."

I wasn't aware that StarLink had received FAA approval for the antenna yet. The article does mention needing to do a fair amount of testing.

I also had no idea the JSX fleet was that large now. I had no idea that had found and converted that many ERJ135,140, and 145s to their 30pax layout.

They used to have a link on their previous JetSuiteX site that described their fleet. The Wikepedia.org fleet info seems to be outdated.

MO11

Re: JSX partners with SkyLink for inflight WiFi on their growing fleet.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:18 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
"The aim is to have half of its fleet of 77 planes equipped with Starlink by December this year.

I also had no idea the JSX fleet was that large now. I had no idea that had found and converted that many ERJ135,140, and 145s to their 30pax layout.

It purchased 52 ERJ 145s from United in March. I don't think any of those are in service yet.

FiscAutTecGarte
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:49 pm

MO11 wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
"The aim is to have half of its fleet of 77 planes equipped with Starlink by December this year.

It purchased 52 ERJ 145s from United in March. I don't think any of those are in service yet.

Holy moly... How did I miss that detail? Wow.

I guess if I take 52 plus Plane's spotters active fleet of 24 and then the 1 out of service, that gives you 77... Wow.
Are the bulk of these ex WisconsinAir ERJ-145XRs that flew for United Express?

30 seats on a 145 definitely raises casm, but I guess with the increased legroom and side table, they'll deploy those on routes where they can fetch better fares for the increased comfort afforded over the 135s..

I noticed on the 145s that they've decided to keep the seats taller (on the 135s they cut the height down a wee bit to add the appearance of spaciousness to the cabin.)

adamblang

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:48 pm

MO11 wrote:

Is there any reporting on this you can point me to? I'd be curious to read more. Google's coming back with nothing.

MO11

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:01 pm

adamblang wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Is there any reporting on this you can point me to? I'd be curious to read more. Google's coming back with nothing.

No, it's not a secret, but not publicized. Most are former ExpressJet (or Trans States) ERJ 145LRs that were intended for Commutair but were not reactivated. A couple were actually flying for Commutair. About a half dozen have left Kingman. On the Planespotters list, N15910 is one of them.

Kilopond

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:22 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
[...] Wikepedia.org[...]

Wikipedia has only three articles on them (en. es. pt) which means they are not very relevant. My first guess had been JSX were some kind of Marshrutka Airlines. :lol:

FiscAutTecGarte
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:55 pm

Kilopond wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
[...] Wikepedia.org[...]

Wikipedia has only three articles on them (en. es. pt) which means they are not very relevant. My first guess had been JSX were some kind of Marshrutka Airlines. :lol:

Some of us AV fans here are fascinated by their business model and have watched them closely. The idea of bypassing security and tooling around with just 29 people onboard a 145 is appealing. Reliable free interent access with be another plus.

I wondered if any of them were ERJ145-XRs and where they would deploy those planes with their extra capability.

Anyway, back on topic, it will be neat to hear how the SpaceX (SkyLink) Wifi service performs for them (and HA too, the other airline that has ordered it). I know a few who are using it in Mexico in small pueblos where even DSL isn't available.

orlandocfi

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:27 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
Kilopond wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
[...] Wikepedia.org[...]

I wondered if any of them were ERJ145-XRs and where they would deploy those planes with their extra capability.

The XR has almost transcon range with only 30 pax. Would be exciting to see them maximize the full potential of that aircraft.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:03 pm

The also have a frequent flyer deal with UA where UA members can earn miles on JSX.

jholio

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:55 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
The also have a frequent flyer deal with UA where UA members can earn miles on JSX.

And the announced a partnership with United's Aviate program as well which is United's pilot development program.

https://www.flyingmag.com/jsx-partnersh ... e-program/

Feels like JSX and United tied up a pretty big deal recently.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:36 pm

jholio wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

And the announced a partnership with United's Aviate program as well which is United's pilot development program.

Seems to be. I posted a thread on it and of course it was disappeared...lol

JSX has their niche and I think it could work long term. I see them partnering with a Taos Air (Denver air) type operation possibly also as their name expands amongst the more well heeled crowds west of the Mississippi.

jholio

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:25 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
jholio wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

JSX has their niche and I think it could work long term. I see them partnering with a Taos Air (Denver air) type operation possibly also as their name expands amongst the more well heeled crowds west of the Mississippi.

And a bit of digging and here it is from United's Q1 22 10-q:

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/ed ... 220331.htm

Other Investments. United holds equity investments in a number of companies with emerging technologies and sustainable solutions. United also has equity investments in Avianca Group International Limited, a multinational airline holding company, and JetSuiteX, Inc., an independent air carrier doing business as JSX. None of these investments have readily determinable fair values. We account for these investments at cost less impairment, adjusted for observable price changes in orderly transactions for an identical or similar investment of the same issuer. As of March 31, 2022, the carrying value of these investments was $278 million.

That bit on JSX is not in the year end 10-k.

tsra

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:35 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
jholio wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

I would love to see JSX in Kansas City and operate from the Downtown Airport. Think of all the places a 30 seat 145 could take you from the center of the US!

jholio

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:59 pm

tsra wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:
jholio wrote:

I would love to see JSX in Kansas City and operate from the Downtown Airport. Think of all the places a 30 seat 145 could take you from the center of the US!

2,000 NM (assuming they are getting E-145XLR's), from Kansas City or Dallas Love covers the entire lower 48, all of lower Canada, and all of Mexico and Central America.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=2000nm%40MKC&MS=wls&DU=mi

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos