Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

piedmontf284000
Topic Author

Covid testing requirements for international air travel into the USA ending

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:50 pm

The Biden administration will drop Covid testing requirements for international air travel into the United States

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/biden-a ... ravel.html

BWIAirport

Re: Covid testing requirements for international air travel into the USA ending

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:53 pm

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/ ... 6965540864

For all intents and purposes, flying is back to normal.

mah584jr

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:19 pm

Nice, perhaps just in time to book that last minute trip overseas? Do the airlines have the capacity to deal with the potential increase in demand?

alfa164

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:23 pm

mah584jr wrote:
Nice, perhaps just in time to book that last minute trip overseas? Do the airlines have the capacity to deal with the potential increase in demand?

I imagine most leisure travelers have already scheduled their vacations and have made their plans for the summer; this move may, however, open up more businesses to the possibility of increasing travel. Some have been concerned that sending employees overseas and then to have them test positive before returning might leave them stranded in another country for days - if not a week or longer.

LAX772LR

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:26 pm

FINALLY!

That requirement never made the slightest bit of sense, since they dropped testing at land and sea borders months ago.... I mean, not even the tiniest bit of sense.

But it went so far to inconvenience/ruin people's travels. In just the last month, I've had friends be stranded in both Belize and Costa Rica.

LAXintl

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:32 pm

Just means more infected people will travel and increase the chances of infecting their fellow travelers be it at the airport or onboard.

The testing was a barrier that at least let people know and made them wait until they could test negative.

sxf24

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:38 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Just means more infected people will travel and increase the chances of infecting their fellow travelers be it at the airport or onboard.

The testing was a barrier that at least let people know and made them wait until they could test negative.

While highly anecdotal, none of the people I know that tested positive and could travel to US exhibited anything more than minor symptoms and tested negative within 3 days. I know more people that got sick shortly after arriving. I wonder which group was more infectious.

Regardless, this helps the airlines and will reduce strain on ground staff in Europe.

SESGDL

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:39 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Even though there are tens of millions more domestic passengers traveling who weren’t being required to test?

Jeremy

UPlog

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:51 pm

Business and money wins over societal health after airlines cry enough about the policy.

Just from personal experience, I've known quite a few folks (such as crew members on personal travel) that thankfully were identified by the test and were able to remain isolating until well and avoid risk to others.

SESGDL wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Even though there are tens of millions more domestic passengers traveling who weren’t being required to test?
Jeremy

I would have totally supported domestic testing.

For sake of fellow man, keep the sick isolating as they should, not be out and about in society.

chrisinbrasil

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:26 pm

I travel Tuesday, GRU-IAH-MEM. This is great news!

ADent

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:51 pm

I saw some NHL teams were flying to the border, driving across, then flying to their final destination in the US.

Seems like a good idea to align the air and ground testing requirements.

Wednesdayite

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:07 pm

I travel to the UK in 10 days.

This news relieves so much anxiety (and potential cost) associated with the return to the U.S.
Last edited by Wednesdayite on Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madairdrie

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:08 pm

As someone who has recently travelled into the USA i at one sense recognise this as planes are relatively safe with regards air filters etc. however where is not safe is immigration halls that are crammed full of people for long periods of time with poor ventilation. I initially felt very uncomfortable in this space until I remembered that everyone should have been recently tested, now this safeguard has been removed.

madairdrie

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:10 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:

This news relieves so much anxiety (and potential cost) associated with the return to the U.S.

Having just come from there cost not all that much it’s £25 nothing required to go. But get you with regards the anxiety

BuildingMyBento

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:19 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
FINALLY!

That requirement never made the slightest bit of sense, since they dropped testing at land and sea borders months ago.... I mean, not even the tiniest bit of sense.

But it went so far to inconvenience/ruin people's travels. In just the last month, I've had friends be stranded in both Belize and Costa Rica.

Testing at land borders? Never thought the U.S. had that. Consequently, it was never a requirement to get tested to enter the country, rather just to board a plane to do it.

readytotaxi

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:31 pm

mah584jr wrote:

Yes they probably do but airports in Europe do not. Witness the terrible lines at security and missed flights due mainly to lack of security vetted staff.

JerseyFlyer

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:36 pm

If the prevalence of a virus is about the same in two countries, testing travellers between the two more thoroughly than non-travellers makes no sense.

EFHK

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:50 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Just means more infected people will travel and increase the chances of infecting their fellow travelers be it at the airport or on board.

Yes. Just like with any other disease in the world.

Diseases are part of human life, as unfortunate as it is. It is high time that we started treating COVID-19, an infection of which represents a minor nuisance for most, an inability to work for most of the rest, and a serious illness for a small minority, just like any other common colds or even influenza. When has anyone needed to test negative for any one of those before boarding a plane?

I'm all for mandating airlines, or any other service industry companies, to offer protective measures such as desinfectant gel and FFP2-masks to all the passengers who those wish to have (sometimes I am personally a part of this group). I'm all against restricting freedom of movement and travel.

I value freedom over risk-free safety.

I value quality of life over life.

Personally, this decision eliminates a big worry and cause for concern over flying to the US. Luckily, I have so far passed all of the three COVID tests that I've had to take before traveling across the pond, but each and every one of those trips has carried a substantial risk of failure and money loss due to the potential of an infection (most likely without symptoms).

I'm happy that this decision eliminates any risk and worry over my upcoming trip to SEA in the beginning of July! And lucky for AS that this decision didn't come three days earlier - otherwise they would have lost $25 of additional insurance money that I bought just in case I would never be able to board the flight to the US in the first place.

ScottB

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 pm

madairdrie wrote:
Wednesdayite wrote:

Having just come from there cost not all that much it’s £25 nothing required to go. But get you with regards the anxiety

The issue is not the cost of the test; it is the issue of an indefinite extended stay in a foreign country at one's own expense, as well as missed days of work.

LAX772LR wrote:

There was never a testing requirement at land borders because it would have violated international law; namely, the right of return. The U.S. government can't refuse entry to citizens at its border as long as they've demonstrated they are, indeed, citizens. They could have imposed quarantines but the optics of quarantine camps a la Hong Kong would have been extremely ugly. The testing requirement to board an international flight was always a weaselly way to get around the right of return. The government technically wasn't denying entry; they were just directing airlines to refuse you boarding. It's difficult to sue since you're in a foreign country and whom do you sue? The airline can claim the government directed them to refuse boarding, and the government will claim they didn't deny you entry.

LAXintl

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:07 pm

I've always said, never miss an opportunity to test. Both myself and wife test weekly for work, and my kid test twice weekly for school.

For example at LAX alone, 66 employees tested positive this week (up from 58 last week), which through testing can now remain home isolating till they are well.

Its part of a broader safety net including vaccines and masking helping protect broader society

Unfortunately many are not very conscientious about fellow man and are more worried about their own interest be it travel, or doing other things in public when potentially sick.

mercure1

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:13 pm

ScottB wrote:
The issue is not the cost of the test; it is the issue of an indefinite extended stay in a foreign country at one's own expense, as well as missed days of work.

Good reason to always have travel insurance. Not only do good policies cover cost of any nonrefundable tickets, they also provide for expenses like hotels and food if you are stuck overseas in addition to health care.

Would never travel without such coverage, not just for Covid, but anything could happen anywhere. There are many annual policies including ones for families, at quite affordable rates.

ScottB

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:42 pm

mercure1 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Good reason to always have travel insurance. Not only do good policies cover cost of any nonrefundable tickets, they also provide for expenses like hotels and food if you are stuck overseas in addition to health care.

But it still won't cover things like lost days of work... And not all travel insurance will cover being denied boarding due to a positive test.

mugler

Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:56 pm

The party is over for all those labs pocketing thousands of dollars for testing in foreign countries. I know of places in Cancun that would give out false positive results on purpose.

WorldFlier

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:00 pm

UPlog wrote:
Business and money wins over societal health after airlines cry enough about the policy.

Just from personal experience, I've known quite a few folks (such as crew members on personal travel) that thankfully were identified by the test and were able to remain isolating until well and avoid risk to others.

SESGDL wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Jeremy

I would have totally supported domestic testing.

For sake of fellow man, keep the sick isolating as they should, not be out and about in society.

Testing for exactly how many (and which exactly) diseases should we be constantly testing?

Vicenza

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:13 pm

WorldFlier wrote:

Testing for exactly how many (and which exactly) diseases should we be constantly testing?

Those that are easily spread and put innocent lives at risk. The Covid risk most certainly isn't over, and especially worth remembering it being the airlines that were largely responsible for it's spread.

DocLightning

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:38 pm

LAXintl wrote:

OK? But I didn't have to test when I flew SFO-PDX and back two weeks ago, or SFO-MIA and back in January. Moreover, because many countries require vaccination for foreigners to enter, we would expect that most or all passengers on international flights would be vaccinated. So really, this was a nonsensical policy.

UPlog wrote:

Personal experience is not a useful way to analyze the impacts. There are also lots of false negatives and given that the testing had to be done 24 hours prior, there were plenty of people who tested negative when they were tested who would have tested positive if they were swabbed at the aircraft door. This policy as written was never going to make a meaningful difference in transmission dynamics and risk.

9w748capt

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:51 pm

[url][/url]
mugler wrote:
The party is over for all those labs pocketing thousands of dollars for testing in foreign countries. I know of places in Cancun that would give out false positive results on purpose.

I mean everywhere. Do we really think anyone ever tested positive for COVID in India prior to a US flight? Or if they did, do we really think that the result couldn't be "fixed" for a small amount of baksheesh?

I think this made sense at first but now that we have effective vaccines, paxlovid, and much milder strains, it made no sense any longer.

smokeybandit

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:22 pm

This is just music to my ears as I fly home from yvr sunday

fastmover

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:25 pm

LAXintl wrote:
I've always said, never miss an opportunity to test. Both myself and wife test weekly for work, and my kid test twice weekly for school.

For example at LAX alone, 66 employees tested positive this week (up from 58 last week), which through testing can now remain home isolating till they are well.

Its part of a broader safety net including vaccines and masking helping protect broader society

Unfortunately many are not very conscientious about fellow man and are more worried about their own interest be it travel, or doing other things in public when potentially sick.

Respectfully that’s how you see it.
If there is no requirement for the millions flying domestically it’s hard to say you need it for international.

Most people are no longer worried about covid they have had the chance to get the shot and the boosters so they are ready to move on. It’s definitely not about not caring, and that’s a slippery slope anyway.

It’s just simply not needed, and probably wasn’t that helpful to start with.

This was like hey you all need to wear masks on a plane but you can take it off and on to eat. None of that made sense none of it. It’s either on or it isn’t pick one.
Last edited by fastmover on Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fastmover

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:27 pm

Vicenza wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:

Those that are easily spread and put innocent lives at risk. The Covid risk most certainly isn't over, and especially worth remembering it being the airlines that were largely responsible for it's spread.

Ok so add in the FLU.

Judge1310

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 pm

Personally, I'm happy that the testing mandate to enter the US will soon be over. However, I feel that a proper compromise would have been that if one is vaccinated, then no testing needed. Otherwise, one would have to take a test and obtain a negative result to permit travel.

LAX772LR

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:58 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
However, I feel that a proper compromise would have been that if one is vaccinated, then no testing needed. Otherwise, one would have to take a test and obtain a negative result to permit travel.

Why? Is it not more than clear at this point that the vaccine(s) don't do much to stop the spread, "only" to allay death.

What difference would that compromise make, from just dropping the testing requirement altogether?

travaz

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm

Now I will book my trip to Germany in OCT. The testing requirement to fly was long past time to end it. I just trashed 7 at home test that the US Govt keeps sending me for free. Somehow I got on thier list. No matter I will just keep trashing the made in China test.

Judge1310

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:10 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
However, I feel that a proper compromise would have been that if one is vaccinated, then no testing needed. Otherwise, one would have to take a test and obtain a negative result to permit travel.

Why? Is it not more than clear at this point that the vaccine(s) don't do much to stop the spread, "only" to allay death.

What difference would that compromise make, from just dropping the testing requirement altogether?

Standardisation in international requirements for travel. Customer and crew member perception. Most folks would be far more comfortable knowing that everyone travelling on board is either vaccinated or tested negative. That's the happy compromise.

LAX772LR

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:29 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Standardisation in international requirements for travel. Customer and crew member perception. Most folks would be far more comfortable knowing that everyone travelling on board is either vaccinated or tested negative. That's the happy compromise.

But ......again....... if we're to recognize the reality that the vaccines barely do anything to stop the spread of the variants, then what does that compromise accomplish, other than an exercise in comfort-by-denial?

Either everyone's tested, or they aren't. The vaccines don't provide a middle-ground, they just statistically keep you from outright dying.

Thus, why should someone have to risk thousands in extra costs due to stranding, because others want to be comfortable in illogical compromise?

Scarebus34

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:58 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Testing positive does not mean you are unwell.

sxf24

Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:07 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

But ......again....... if we're to recognize the reality that the vaccines barely do anything to stop the spread of the variants, then what does that compromise accomplish, other than an exercise in comfort-by-denial?

Either everyone's tested, or they aren't. The vaccines don't provide a middle-ground, they just statistically keep you from outright dying.

Thus, why should someone have to risk thousands in extra costs due to stranding, because others want to be comfortable in illogical compromise?

Vaccines do not prevent spread, but there is no statistical basis to say that they do or do not reduce spread of Omicron. Vaccines reduce severity of infection, which leads to the hypothesis infectiousness goes down. Tough to prove though.

VS4ever

Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:23 am

Could have done with this last week on my return from the UK to Boston, what a cluster… couldn’t check in, even though we both had negative tests, had to go to the airport the day before to get the test because it was the bank holiday.
Apparently the issue with the check in was they wanted to see our vaccination cards.

Utterly frustrating and thank goodness it’s going away. It’s completely pointless when sharing aircraft with those who had to do nothing.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:12 am

Finally! Time to book those held off visits to YYZ and PVR!

Cactusjuba

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:31 am

LAXintl wrote:

Kids still testing twice weekly for school? No wonder there has been net migration OUT of California. Folks, this is endemic. Living with the virus doesn't mean low risk factor people need to forever mask and test to enjoy societal freedoms. CDC estimates every American now has cellular (B cell) immunity to COVID. With essentially no one imunmo-näive, infections arent important measurements when the nearly all are mild reinfections or breakthroughs. Especially in young, healthy demographics like children. The mask mandates and testing requirements expiring ARE following the sceince. They just finally overcame the conservative public health inertia that all too often statifies risk in an effort to mold group behavior, while running rough shod over common sense at the individual health level.

BA777FO

Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:06 am

Any news on dropping the vaccine-mandate for non-US citizens to enter?

Not wanting a debate about the merits of it (it was already covered quite well above!) but there seems to be no news on that front unless this means all restrictions of any kind are dropped?

jomur

Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:31 am

BA777FO wrote:
Any news on dropping the vaccine-mandate for non-US citizens to enter?

Not wanting a debate about the merits of it (it was already covered quite well above!) but there seems to be no news on that front unless this means all restrictions of any kind are dropped?

Tbe CDC is more likely to introduce testing for those not vaccinated before dropping the requirememt to be vaccinated. Lots of other countries followed this route before dropping all entry requirements.

Aliqiout

Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:44 pm

mercure1 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Would never travel without such coverage, not just for Covid, but anything could happen anywhere. There are many annual policies including ones for families, at quite affordable rates.

Travel insurance is completely illogical. If you can't afford to lose the money you paid for a trip it is irresponsible to be traveling. The insurance companies are profitable. That means over a lifetime of traveling you will pay more to them then they pay to you, unless you are cheating.

Home insurance and medical insurance make sense because the financial loss could be life altering, but if an unexpected week in a hotel will ruin you, just stay home.

smokeybandit

Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:53 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Travel insurance is completely illogical. If you can't afford to lose the money you paid for a trip it is irresponsible to be traveling. The insurance companies are profitable. That means over a lifetime of traveling you will pay more to them then they pay to you, unless you are cheating.

Home insurance and medical insurance make sense because the financial loss could be life altering, but if an unexpected week in a hotel will ruin you, just stay home.

You really underestimate costs that can be accrued overseas. Medivac for one.

travaz

Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:17 am

If I am traveling over seas I buy travel insurance. The medical portion of the insurance is well worth if you need it. On my trip from PHX to LAS for 4 nights I am not going to buy travel insurance.

a340jamaica

Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:20 am

sxf24 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Vaccines do not prevent spread, but there is no statistical basis to say that they do or do not reduce spread of Omicron. Vaccines reduce severity of infection, which leads to the hypothesis infectiousness goes down. Tough to prove though.

Are we talking about the virus I am observing? Since late last year with Omicron and increasingly so as 2022 unfolds with Omicron sub-variants, none of the vaccines reduce the risk of transmission / infection or appreciably reduce the risk of death. This is so because Omicron is already an order of magnitude less virulent than Delta for example, so the risk of death was already miniscule to begin with. Time to get on with life and open up all travel and treat like we do the flu. COVID-19 is here to stay and is behaving as viruses typically behave getting more transmissible but less virulent. Trying to use vaccines against RNA viruses was an exercise in futility and was bound to eventually fail as we are currently observing. Note the poor performance of vaccines for the flu for example, often being less than 30% effective in a year. Coronaviruses are even more problematic and any immunity wanes even more quickly, now estimated to be measured in weeks.

NTLDaz

Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:41 am

Aliqiout wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Righto. So we can all afford the cost of ending up in a hospital whilst travelling.

Aliqiout

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:20 am

NTLDaz wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Righto. So we can all afford the cost of ending up in a hospital whilst travelling.

Most medical insurance will cover you in any country up to the amount the treatment would cost in the U.S. since almost every treatment in almost every country is cheaper than the U.S. it shouldn't be a problem. Read your policy.

If yours doesn't there are plenty of credit cards that offer $500,000 in medical travel insurance.

NTLDaz

Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:10 am

Aliqiout wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

Most medical insurance will cover you in any country up to the amount the treatment would cost in the U.S. since almost every treatment in almost every country is cheaper than the U.S. it shouldn't be a problem. Read your policy.

If yours doesn't there are plenty of credit cards that offer $500,000 in medical travel insurance.

Australian Health Insurance ( where I'm from ) will not cover health costs outside of Australia and not all CC's offer travel insurance.

Frankly, if I'm going to the expense of travelling overseas I'm paying the relatively small cost for travel insurance.

Dalmd88

Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:24 pm

I've never done the travel insurance thing, but I tend to stay domestic.

We are planing on a SXM vacation this summer which requires a IDP. Went to the AAA office and another guy was there for the same. The dropping of testing was a hot topic. He was very relived over the possibility of getting stuck overseas. Said finding travel insurance that covered a positive COVID test was impossible to find.

For my wife and I we are fully vaxed and have medical coverage that is good for overseas. My budget for this vacation is good for the days we are planning, but while we could afford an extended hotel stay, I would rather not take on that cost. Not to mention the anxiety of possibly making last minute accommodations for an extended stay.

As a airline employee I am very glad this has been lifted. International traffic now has a chance to rebound. The US was an outlier in this test requirement. Back in March of 2020 when we needed the test requirement to keep the virus tamped down we didn't have it. Now that we have better tools against it the need isn't there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos