Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Gfgdfgv
Topic Author
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:21 am

Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am

Thought this was worthy of its own thread, BBC are reporting that a passenger with reduced mobility has died after deboarding. It’s been claimed that this was not due to staff shortages but it’s come to light that the gentleman decided not to wait any longer for ground staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-61837369

Thoughts with his family at this time. Is this finally a wake up call that significantly more needs doing for disabled passengers?
 
jomur
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:35 am

Gfgdfgv wrote:
Thought this was worthy of its own thread, BBC are reporting that a passenger with reduced mobility has died after deboarding. It’s been claimed that this was not due to staff shortages but it’s come to light that the gentleman decided not to wait any longer for ground staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-61837369

Thoughts with his family at this time. Is this finally a wake up call that significantly more needs doing for disabled passengers?


This wasn't really the fault of the airline or the airport. It seems the passenger decided they couldn't be bothered to wait a couple of minutes for someone from the assistance company to come and get them. They where probably told someone will be back shortly.
 
MDC862
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:54 am

"Wake up call?"
No, if passenger that immobile or requires extra assistance it is incumbant on them to have an aide travel with them or seek other modes of travel.

The airline performed their role, stop with the victim mentality.
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:54 am

jomur wrote:
Gfgdfgv wrote:
Thought this was worthy of its own thread, BBC are reporting that a passenger with reduced mobility has died after deboarding. It’s been claimed that this was not due to staff shortages but it’s come to light that the gentleman decided not to wait any longer for ground staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-61837369

Thoughts with his family at this time. Is this finally a wake up call that significantly more needs doing for disabled passengers?


This wasn't really the fault of the airline or the airport. It seems the passenger decided they couldn't be bothered to wait a couple of minutes for someone from the assistance company to come and get them. They where probably told someone will be back shortly.


This post is beyond reprehensible and void of compassion. A man died. A man living with a disability which means reliance on others for the simplest of things - a service which is owed to him within a reasonable period of time. The presence of a disability does not mean that a person must be a submissive vassal of gratitude to the airport for provision of this basic service. Failure to fulfil that service - in circumstance that you have, without evidence, described as 'a few minutes' - led him to take a decision that resulted in his horrific death.

Why are you so desperate to avoid human compassion for fear of what? The infallible airport will not give you brownie points for being their legal counsel. Saying that an airport royally screwed up in this instance, and many, many others when dealing with providing services to the disabled?

Were you there? Do you have information to suggest he 'just had to wait a few minutes'? I suspect you don't.
 
beachroad
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:26 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:56 am

A sad event. I have experience where passengers with reduced mobility are feeling good in the moment, so they try to do something, but find they can't. It's sad.
 
vrbarreto
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:22 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:47 am

Apparently there was someone there from the assistance company but they were helping one of 3 other passengers on the flight to get to the buggy.. It doesn't say how long they waited but presumably they would have been the last of the plane to make it easier to move them? A formal investigation has been started in any case. RIP to the deceased.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21085
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:19 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
Were you there? Do you have information to suggest he 'just had to wait a few minutes'? I suspect you don't.


I suspect you weren't there either. :roll:

The linked article states that ground staff were helping three other restricted mobility passenger off the same flight, including the dead man's partner. So it does seem he was somewhat impatient and took matters into his own hands.
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2453
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:25 pm

Escalators are horribly dangerous. Do a web search for ‘killed on escalator’…you’ll be shocked. They are only safe if you are standing upright, have no dangling shoe laces or scarves or items of clothing and enter-exit properly.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:31 pm

While I, like everyone else, is deeply saddened at the loss of life here, this case is going to depend on the state of mind of the decedent in this case, and what contractually the airline is and is not responsible for.

If this gentleman was unable to comprehend what he was doing, then he shouldn't have been traveling alone at all. Unless the airline has a very specific policy of transporting passengers not in full control of their faculties, I doubt they would accept a passenger onto their plane without a full-time personal assistant for that passenger. Imagine if that plane needed a full evacuation - who is going to help that person who has no idea where they are or what is going on?

That leads us to conclude that this person had situational awareness and knew where they were and where they were doing, and only needed mobility assistance at the airport. As such, if the person decides to leave the care of the personnel assigned to help, that is the individual's decision, and thus negating the airline's responsibility if anything should happen.

The last time I flew with my father (less than a year before he passed away) he was completely ambulatory and could follow my instructions, but he had absolutely no idea where to go once he was in the airport. He could walk (slowly, but without any pain), feed and dress himself, take care of bodily functions, and so on - but he needed someone to take him where he needed to go and show him what to do. All four of our segments went off without a hitch, but that was because he had a full-time assistant, that being me. Was full-time assistance even an option at that time? I doubt it - and I doubt EasyJet has an "unaccompanied senior" plan either.

It's a sad but tough call, but I don't think the airline or airport will be liable in this case.
 
jubaexpress
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:37 pm

scbriml wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
Were you there? Do you have information to suggest he 'just had to wait a few minutes'? I suspect you don't.


I suspect you weren't there either. :roll:

The linked article states that ground staff were helping three other restricted mobility passenger off the same flight, including the dead man's partner. So it does seem he was somewhat impatient and took matters into his own hands.


No, I wasn't. Neither were you. I simply suggested that without full knowledge, blaming the passenger entirely is premature.
 
Aegeanblue2
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:20 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:46 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
scbriml wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
Were you there? Do you have information to suggest he 'just had to wait a few minutes'? I suspect you don't.


I suspect you weren't there either. :roll:

The linked article states that ground staff were helping three other restricted mobility passenger off the same flight, including the dead man's partner. So it does seem he was somewhat impatient and took matters into his own hands.


No, I wasn't. Neither were you. I simply suggested that without full knowledge, blaming the passenger entirely is premature.



Yet you went full steam ahead and blamed and trashed the airline/aiport/country/world/OP ... Maybe take a deep breath and wait for more details like the rest of us do.
 
Gfgdfgv
Topic Author
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:21 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:11 pm

It's dissapointing how quickly this has desended into a sniping contest... as previously mentioned LGW and easyJet both have legal requirements in terms of supporting people with a disability which will differ from North American standards (I'm being presumptious here but I gather most people on here are from there). I think its also important to highlight the number of well published issues throughout the years where passengers have indeed been stranded without support - I can recall on a post a few months ago (about the "meltdown" across UK/European airports) that claimed that MAN only had one stair lift for the entire airport! I wonder if a situation like that contributed to this.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10945
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:21 pm

Gfgdfgv wrote:
Thought this was worthy of its own thread, BBC are reporting that a passenger with reduced mobility has died after deboarding. It’s been claimed that this was not due to staff shortages but it’s come to light that the gentleman decided not to wait any longer for ground staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-61837369

Thoughts with his family at this time. Is this finally a wake up call that significantly more needs doing for disabled passengers?


It is far too soon to take much away from this particular (highlighted) comment

I have made many dozens of flights with family members who were PRMs. Not to generalize, but often these are older individuals who really hate to been seen as making a fuss - the idea of being the only person holding up a flight from being turned around places a heap of pressure, shame and embarrassment on anyone. I have seen this first hand numerous times - I've held my breath as elderly relatives have insisted on walking down the integral airstairs of a 737, because the crew were clearly getting impatient and the lift was still several jobs away.

LGW is currently significantly short of staff in almost every area, so it would not surprise me if waits for PRM assistance were lengthy
 
User avatar
LX015
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:24 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
jomur wrote:
Gfgdfgv wrote:
Thought this was worthy of its own thread, BBC are reporting that a passenger with reduced mobility has died after deboarding. It’s been claimed that this was not due to staff shortages but it’s come to light that the gentleman decided not to wait any longer for ground staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-61837369

Thoughts with his family at this time. Is this finally a wake up call that significantly more needs doing for disabled passengers?


This wasn't really the fault of the airline or the airport. It seems the passenger decided they couldn't be bothered to wait a couple of minutes for someone from the assistance company to come and get them. They where probably told someone will be back shortly.


This post is beyond reprehensible and void of compassion. A man died. A man living with a disability which means reliance on others for the simplest of things - a service which is owed to him within a reasonable period of time. The presence of a disability does not mean that a person must be a submissive vassal of gratitude to the airport for provision of this basic service. Failure to fulfil that service - in circumstance that you have, without evidence, described as 'a few minutes' - led him to take a decision that resulted in his horrific death.

Why are you so desperate to avoid human compassion for fear of what? The infallible airport will not give you brownie points for being their legal counsel. Saying that an airport royally screwed up in this instance, and many, many others when dealing with providing services to the disabled?

Were you there? Do you have information to suggest he 'just had to wait a few minutes'? I suspect you don't.


Were you on site? Where is your proof that LGW failed in it's duty to this passenger? From what I read, this passenger chose to get up on his own and disembark. If he really needed the help, waiting shouldn't be that huge of an issue.
Last edited by LX015 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 2321
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:29 pm

There are hints elsewhere on the web that this happened on the escalators to the very high Skybridge at North terminal.... the escalators there are indeed very tall, being high enough to go in a single escalator ride over the tail of an A380

Is anyone able to confirm if this is or is not the location ? Do these escalators have adjacent lifts with access easily available to all (and not just PRM or airport passholders) ?
The escalators are indeed very high, and as an able bodied adult, I can fully understand why one might feel giddy while at the top and looking down.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21085
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:32 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
I simply suggested that without full knowledge, blaming the passenger entirely is premature.


You did the very thing you're accusing other of doing, but in reverse.

People are basing their opinions on the available information, while you seem to be assuming the opposite.
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4865
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:17 pm

One of my first jobs was a wheelchair attendant, before I moved up to skycap. Sometimes I would deplane about 5 disabled passengers off of one flight. Since I don't know all the circumstances in this, the article said the contract worker was busy helping 3 other passengers at the time. I get it, it's gotta be frustrating waiting for help in this situation. When my plane lands, I want off that plane. I couldn't imagine being restricted due to a disability, and my patience would run thin if I was in a similar situation. The only way to prevent something like this is more staffing to accommodate. But!! Then again, you could run into overstaffing issues, and cost problems.

I do feel so awful for this man's loved ones. I couldn't imagine.

As for the OP's question. There does need to be more done to accomodate passengers with disabilities. All airlines could offer better training for things like wheelchairs! I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed wheelchairs broken because ground staff didn't have proper understanding of how to handle a specialized wheelchair. I had a special wheelchair once that we had no idea how to handle. Sadly, it fell off of a beltloader and the wheelchair landed on its side. It was broken, and broken bad. This poor passenger had what was his only method of getting around, not working properly because of the fall. While this kind of brings on another topic, the answer to that question IMO is a definite yes.
 
bennett123
Posts: 11209
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:19 pm

'In a statement the company said: "The agent was at the gate within one minute of the aircraft parking on its stand, and the incident itself only happened 10 minutes after the aircraft landed'.

Assuming we take this at face value, is 10 minutes or less really too long to wait.
 
seansasLCY
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:31 pm

bennett123 wrote:
'In a statement the company said: "The agent was at the gate within one minute of the aircraft parking on its stand, and the incident itself only happened 10 minutes after the aircraft landed'.

Assuming we take this at face value, is 10 minutes or less really too long to wait.


It can depend. If the last times he travelled he had to wait an hour or more (like regularly reported by some disabled people) then maybe he gave up early on.

It can also be a case of some people think they are more capable than they actually are and don’t realise until it’s too late.
 
zuckie13
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:09 am

I think this is saying the aircraft was at a remote stand? - I don't know the airport but I'm interpreting something like "the passenger made a short walk to the escalator from the runway to the Skybridge, which takes passengers to the north terminal." to mean that (I certainly hope the plan was on a ramp and not the runway while they were disembarking....). That might mean they had to disembark them with a lift, which would take longer for each passenger than rolling a chair up a Jetway.

Also, does PRM legislation/regulations actually specify any level of service parameters - like how long is OK vs not OK?
 
Vicenza
Posts: 812
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:53 am

jubaexpress wrote:
jomur wrote:
Gfgdfgv wrote:
Thought this was worthy of its own thread, BBC are reporting that a passenger with reduced mobility has died after deboarding. It’s been claimed that this was not due to staff shortages but it’s come to light that the gentleman decided not to wait any longer for ground staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-61837369

Thoughts with his family at this time. Is this finally a wake up call that significantly more needs doing for disabled passengers?


This wasn't really the fault of the airline or the airport. It seems the passenger decided they couldn't be bothered to wait a couple of minutes for someone from the assistance company to come and get them. They where probably told someone will be back shortly.


This post is beyond reprehensible and void of compassion. A man died. A man living with a disability which means reliance on others for the simplest of things - a service which is owed to him within a reasonable period of time. The presence of a disability does not mean that a person must be a submissive vassal of gratitude to the airport for provision of this basic service. Failure to fulfil that service - in circumstance that you have, without evidence, described as 'a few minutes' - led him to take a decision that resulted in his horrific death.

Why are you so desperate to avoid human compassion for fear of what? The infallible airport will not give you brownie points for being their legal counsel. Saying that an airport royally screwed up in this instance, and many, many others when dealing with providing services to the disabled?

Were you there? Do you have information to suggest he 'just had to wait a few minutes'? I suspect you don't.


Were you there to then provide information to say different, but yet you go on a nonsensical rant to sound good? I see in no way were the airline, or airport at fault, nor is there the slightest evidence to meet your suggestion of he "must be a submissive vassel of gratitude", nor do you present any evidence whatsoever that the service was not fulfilled. It takes time to get several disabled passengers off an aircraft.......could you do them all simultanously
 
Vicenza
Posts: 812
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:59 am

zuckie13 wrote:
I think this is saying the aircraft was at a remote stand? - I don't know the airport but I'm interpreting something like "the passenger made a short walk to the escalator from the runway to the Skybridge, which takes passengers to the north terminal." to mean that (I certainly hope the plan was on a ramp and not the runway while they were disembarking....). That might mean they had to disembark them with a lift, which would take longer for each passenger than rolling a chair up a Jetway.

Also, does PRM legislation/regulations actually specify any level of service parameters - like how long is OK vs not OK?


At Gatwick it is very more than likely the aircraft could have been at a remote stand. The media wording is certainly incorrect as it most certainly not on the runway. However, even on a ramp how would there be an escalator involved?
 
HBJZA
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:34 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
While I, like everyone else, is deeply saddened at the loss of life here, this case is going to depend on the state of mind of the decedent in this case, and what contractually the airline is and is not responsible for.

If this gentleman was unable to comprehend what he was doing, then he shouldn't have been traveling alone at all. Unless the airline has a very specific policy of transporting passengers not in full control of their faculties, I doubt they would accept a passenger onto their plane without a full-time personal assistant for that passenger. Imagine if that plane needed a full evacuation - who is going to help that person who has no idea where they are or what is going on?

That leads us to conclude that this person had situational awareness and knew where they were and where they were doing, and only needed mobility assistance at the airport. As such, if the person decides to leave the care of the personnel assigned to help, that is the individual's decision, and thus negating the airline's responsibility if anything should happen.

The last time I flew with my father (less than a year before he passed away) he was completely ambulatory and could follow my instructions, but he had absolutely no idea where to go once he was in the airport. He could walk (slowly, but without any pain), feed and dress himself, take care of bodily functions, and so on - but he needed someone to take him where he needed to go and show him what to do. All four of our segments went off without a hitch, but that was because he had a full-time assistant, that being me. Was full-time assistance even an option at that time? I doubt it - and I doubt EasyJet has an "unaccompanied senior" plan either.

It's a sad but tough call, but I don't think the airline or airport will be liable in this case.


This is becoming endlessly ridiculous. I’m pretty sure that if the airline would have requested that this man would only be granted to travel with an accompaniant, some would have thrown the discrimination card and all the fuss that goes with it.
The final decision lies with each individual and PRM are now fully responsible of their decision to travel alone or not. They are told the rules such as : are you able to reach an emergency exit unaided, reach and fit a lifejacket, reach an oxy mask, etc. If they say yes, they can fly alone and under no occasion is anyone to challenge their decision as this would be seen as discriminatory.
Now it’s sad he died but it’s all based on his own judgement. Not airline, not airport, not assistance provider, HIS only…
 
beachroad
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:26 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Vicenza wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
I think this is saying the aircraft was at a remote stand? - I don't know the airport but I'm interpreting something like "the passenger made a short walk to the escalator from the runway to the Skybridge, which takes passengers to the north terminal." to mean that (I certainly hope the plan was on a ramp and not the runway while they were disembarking....). That might mean they had to disembark them with a lift, which would take longer for each passenger than rolling a chair up a Jetway.

Also, does PRM legislation/regulations actually specify any level of service parameters - like how long is OK vs not OK?


At Gatwick it is very more than likely the aircraft could have been at a remote stand. The media wording is certainly incorrect as it most certainly not on the runway. However, even on a ramp how would there be an escalator involved?


The days endemic remote stands at Gatwick are long gone.

PRM Assistance staff met the flight when it landed and the deceased wife was already being aided off the aircraft, which was at a Pier 6 jetbridge, to a buggy. The deceased decided not to wait for their turn, but walk with their adult son ahead and collect their bags. There was no delay with the PRM staff, who were waiting on the jetbridge.

People who request assistance sometimes feel OK in the moment and decide not to use assistance.

The Skybridge is a bridge walkway that links the North Terminal Satellite with the main building. The escalator from Pier 6 arrivals level to the Skybridge is huge, from memory about 9 stories. It's remarkable architecture, but quite a safety hazard with the amount of cabin baggage people bring today.
 
AviationLuver
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:25 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Sad deal to hesr the gentleman died. I’m not one to toss barbs in either direction at this point, not knowing the full facts of the case.

May he Rest In Peace.
 
johns624
Posts: 5524
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:54 pm

For those (like me) who didn't know what PRM stood for, it's People with Reduced Mobility. I just asked my wife, who has over 30 years with a nonprofit that specializes in helping disabled people and she didn't know what it meant, either.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15602
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:17 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Escalators are horribly dangerous. Do a web search for ‘killed on escalator’…you’ll be shocked. They are only safe if you are standing upright, have no dangling shoe laces or scarves or items of clothing and enter-exit properly.


I'm always squeamish in airports seeing people with bare feet in flip flops, knowing there are all these escalators to take...
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3549
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:33 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I think this is saying the aircraft was at a remote stand? - I don't know the airport but I'm interpreting something like "the passenger made a short walk to the escalator from the runway to the Skybridge, which takes passengers to the north terminal." to mean that (I certainly hope the plan was on a ramp and not the runway while they were disembarking....). That might mean they had to disembark them with a lift, which would take longer for each passenger than rolling a chair up a Jetway.

Also, does PRM legislation/regulations actually specify any level of service parameters - like how long is OK vs not OK?


I've never flown U2 from LGW, but have years ago from STN, at STN they wouldn't use the jetbridges evenr though every gate had one. LCC's in Europe prefer to not use jetbridges as they can then load/unload using stairs to both the front and back of the aircraft and save a few minutes
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3549
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:37 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I think this is saying the aircraft was at a remote stand? - I don't know the airport but I'm interpreting something like "the passenger made a short walk to the escalator from the runway to the Skybridge, which takes passengers to the north terminal." to mean that (I certainly hope the plan was on a ramp and not the runway while they were disembarking....). That might mean they had to disembark them with a lift, which would take longer for each passenger than rolling a chair up a Jetway.

Also, does PRM legislation/regulations actually specify any level of service parameters - like how long is OK vs not OK?


I've never flown U2 from LGW, but have years ago from STN, at STN they wouldn't use the jetbridges evenr though every gate had one. LCC's in Europe prefer to not use jetbridges as they can then load/unload using stairs to both the front and back of the aircraft and save a few minutes
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:08 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I think this is saying the aircraft was at a remote stand? - I don't know the airport but I'm interpreting something like "the passenger made a short walk to the escalator from the runway to the Skybridge, which takes passengers to the north terminal." to mean that (I certainly hope the plan was on a ramp and not the runway while they were disembarking....). That might mean they had to disembark them with a lift, which would take longer for each passenger than rolling a chair up a Jetway.

Also, does PRM legislation/regulations actually specify any level of service parameters - like how long is OK vs not OK?


I've remote stand boarded at LGW from that massive bridge before (I could be wrong it's been nearly ten years) but vaguely remember using an elevator ? Perhaps others will correct me ? I too have mobility issues, I only have one leg following an amputation and I tend to avoid escalators owing to associated balance issues. My sympathy goes out to this chap, although I suspect he would still be alive had he waited for the assistance. I've seen that assisted mobilty operation for myself at Gatwick and have had nothing but admiration for their courtesy and professionalism.
 
Q
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:29 am

Re: Passenger dies after leaving easyJet flight at LGW

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:34 am

A few months ago, my other side different family tree. I can't explain what I called my family. My cousin's family is from her mother's side family. Not related to me it is my mom's brother's wife's family side. Anyway, She was supposed to change planes at Denver Airport last January. She flew from Milwaukee to Phoenix stopping at Denver. She just arrived in Denver in the concourse while she was walking all of a sudden she pass out and fell on the floor. EMS came and went to the hospital. The doctor found she had bleeding in her brain and put ICU coma. Staff found her purse and called the emergency family. All her 3 children flew to Denver to see their mother in Hospital just 2 days later she died. They cremated her to bring the urn to Milwaukee back. It was very sad. The lady who died one of her son who was a retired Delta pilot. I haven't seen him for 30 years since he started Delta pilot. Until I finally met him at the funeral. That's all I have about the story.

Q

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos