Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ajs123uk
Topic Author

Confirmed Oman Air to join oneworld.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:42 pm

It’s been confirmed today that Oman Air will join oneworld. Qatar Airways will be the sponsor airline and date of joining is expected to be in 2024.
That will make 3 Middle East based airlines in the alliance.
Nice catch. They look like a good quality airline.

Source oneworld website
Last edited by ajs123uk on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myki

Re: Oman Air to join oneworld.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:59 pm

Yes WY lose the bling out of the Middle East and would be one of those "quiet achiever" airlines. Quality product, doesnt want to take over the world, does a good job without ranting and raving about it.

Nice pickup for oneworld.

cathay747

Re: Confirmed Oman Air to join oneworld.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:05 pm

This makes zero sense to me. I see no benefit for OW onboarding another airline from the same exact area as QR, with RJ also only spitting-distance away; nor do I see any benefit for WY what with much bigger QR so close. To me, this smacks of the overlap/redundancy of SQ/TG both being in Star.

VTCIE

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:08 pm

WY will be the fourth Arab-world airline in Oneworld after QR, Royal Jordanian and Royal Air Maroc. Meanwhile the Star Alliance has only EgyptAir, though ET, TK and AI also cover the Middle East well. SkyTeam is poorer off, with only Saudia and Middle East Airlines to speak of. But I do think Oneworld is the best choice for Oman Air, from its collaboration with QR (including the blockade years) to the class-leading 787/A330 hard product to the mileage opportunities: it’s doing a far better job than Royal Jordanian anyway.

It seems Oneworld is okay with letting go of the whole of Latin America in favour of getting more Middle Eastern partners. At this point, the Star Alliance would do well to pick up Gulf Air, whose premium product is so good as to be on par with WY, but gets much less attention. All those talks of Etihad and United/Star are baseless to me, as it needs to merge with its cross-country rival EK to counter Oneworld’s increasing dominance in the Middle East.

BangersAndMash

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:29 pm

For Oneworld loyalists, this is excellent news. One more quality airline to choose from, especially seeing QR prices at the moment.

So AAB wants to grow the alliance. If that means more carriers like WY, hell yes!

And if we're doing requests, Starlux next, please. :D

usflyer msp

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 pm

Not a terrible addition but OW has higher strategic needs, namely a Latin American and a Subsaharan African member.

BrianDromey

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:06 pm

An interesting addition to the alliance - I thought they were going out of fashion these days? Is this part of QR realigning the alliance in its own image?

usflyer msp wrote:
Not a terrible addition but OW has higher strategic needs, namely a Latin American and a Subsaharan African member.

Historically oneworld had great coverage in the region. But once LATAM left and partnered with Delta, that was the end of that. The coverage was not just strong within Latin America itself, but also to Madrid (Iberia), Miami (AA) and New York (AA), huge markets for almost all Latin American Airlines. There were also good links with QF. I don't think SkyTeam comes close to replicating this and clearly LATAM don't either. They haven't joined skyTeam. QR Investments has just spent $900 million for 10%, so they might be back. You never know.

The small presence oneworld had in southern Africa with Comair (the BA franchisee) is in liquidation, so even that is gone. Im not sure there are many, if any viable options?

Byrdluvs747

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:51 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
An interesting addition to the alliance - I thought they were going out of fashion these days? Is this part of QR realigning the alliance in its own image?

I dreamed of a new EU carrier since IAG cant seem to get their act together.

BrianDromey wrote:
The small presence oneworld had in southern Africa with Comair (the BA franchisee) is in liquidation, so even that is gone. Im not sure there are many, if any viable options?

I was hoping that QR would make an attempt for KQ, but I think QR like EK are still stuck in the mindset that they can serve Africa best.

SCQ83

Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:48 pm

I guess they will launch MCT-MAD. Madrid is any way the largest airport in Europe (and Spain the largest air market) with no flights to Oman.

MCT-CMN might also be another possibility.

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 pm

BrianDromey wrote:

I think aviation fans said alliances were going out of fashion because there were no airlines joining them. When it comes to customers and their frequent flyer programmes, you'll find most people are very sticky. If that wasn't the case, and if alliances were not worth the money, they would have unravelled a long time ago.

ahj2000

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:22 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

I think aviation fans said alliances were going out of fashion because there were no airlines joining them. When it comes to customers and their frequent flyer programmes, you'll find most people are very sticky. If that wasn't the case, and if alliances were not worth the money, they would have unravelled a long time ago.

I certainly have found that people--especially the higher paying travel for business/J/F segments are very loyal to their alliances. The exception seems to be when they travel enough that it makes sense to start collecting a couple. It wouldn't surprise me at all if alliances form a very important part of the proposition that airlines put out to these very high paying travelers, who, as we've found out, make up a huge portion of the revenue of airlines (at least here in the US, I'd imagine most other places too.)
Bargain hunters, like myself these days, do seem to be caring less and less about loyalty. I get far more miles from CC spend (and it's not that much...sigh) than flying because I can't afford to fly as often with all that is going on in the world and my own life. Flights get less miles and redeeming miles costs more nowadays, so it's a bit harder to decide to take that 150$ hit to stay loyal to your historically "preferred" carrier. (American's international fares during covid were atrocious. Delta, Alitalia (just before they closed forever), and United all offered better fares at different points, so the "loyalty" is less. However, we make up less of the revenue for these airlines.
That being said, as an AA guy, at least theoretically, it is nice to have another option. This makes more sense for EU-based travelers than US-based travelers, for example, but there is still a good amount of additional capacity that is available to the OW network. Now to watch more carriers start codeshares...

CLJFlyer

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:59 pm

I looked at MCT, and I do see Oman Air connecting to FRA, CDG, LHR...but my questions is, how does Oman Air joining OW help American flyers out?

One would have to connect through Europe to utilize Oman Air in the Middle East, or one could connect through Doha or Amman as a one stop straight from the US.

onwFan

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:24 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
I looked at MCT, and I do see Oman Air connecting to FRA, CDG, LHR...but my questions is, how does Oman Air joining OW help American flyers out?

One would have to connect through Europe to utilize Oman Air in the Middle East, or one could connect through Doha or Amman as a one stop straight from the US.

Is there any rule that an airline joining an alliance must offer non-stop flights to the US (or) must benefit travelers in the US in a particular way? Either way, from an AAdvantage point if view, I get an extra airline serving my hometown, which is a huge plus when Qatar and SriLankan don’t have award availability most of the time, and Etihad has stopped service.

NameOmitted

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:27 pm

Sort of a tangent here, but are there any rumors about WestJet joining an alliance? They have several dance partners across the alliances, but so did Alaska.

mercure1

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:34 pm

With the close links between Qatar Airways, not surprised to see this happen.

Congrats to all.

tullamarine

Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:22 pm

This does nothing to address Oneworld;s obvious coverage weaknesses such as no hubs in continental Central Europe, South America and Africa.

smi0006

Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:13 pm

mercure1 wrote:

Congrats to all.

I think the close link with QR is the basis for all of this. Otherwise Oman Air wins, not so much rest of one world.

China, South America, and Southern Africa are big voids for OneWorld. But who knows LA maybe back - did EI leave and come back? MU is another one world should go after, CZ and MU seem a lot in skyteam.

In saying all of this looking at QF as an example (only because I am more familiar with them) carriers will set up alliances that fill their needs. QF has or had agreements or alliances with - SA, CZ,MU,EK - all JVs. KL,AF,LY,WS all codeshare and frequent flyer agreements. From a pax perspective close to an alliance. I still feel alliances are a bit legacy- but QR, AAB loves them, and in fairness their adoption of Avios is unique and could be telling of the future.

onwFan

Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:03 am

smi0006 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Congrats to all.

I think the close link with QR is the basis for all of this. Otherwise Oman Air wins, not so much rest of one world.

China, South America, and Southern Africa are big voids for OneWorld. But who knows LA maybe back - did EI leave and come back? MU is another one world should go after, CZ and MU seem a lot in skyteam.

In saying all of this looking at QF as an example (only because I am more familiar with them) carriers will set up alliances that fill their needs. QF has or had agreements or alliances with - SA, CZ,MU,EK - all JVs. KL,AF,LY,WS all codeshare and frequent flyer agreements. From a pax perspective close to an alliance. I still feel alliances are a bit legacy- but QR, AAB loves them, and in fairness their adoption of Avios is unique and could be telling of the future.

CZ already left SkyTeam to partner with AA and have a JV with BA (their JV with AF/KL ended last year). CZ (and MF) will end up in oneworld sooner or later whether CX likes it or not.

Actually 10 of the oneworld members still have bilateral partnerships with LA, so most carriers do not even see that Latam hole. later. SkyTeam has a big hole in Latin America too, unless LA decided to join. Other than Colombia & Ecuador, Star has a big hole in Latin America too. Whether AV/G3 end up with AA/IAG or UA/LH will shift the landscape once again. If one were to look back in history, Latin American partnerships have barely lasted 10 years. Let’s see what happens this time.

Southern Africa will be a big hole for all alliances- SA is just a shadow of what it was.

aa1818

Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 pm

smi0006 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Congrats to all.

CZ left SkyTeam in 2018.
I think oneworld has some big holes to fill, but adding niche carriers like Oman Air and Royal Jordanian, while not plugging holes, can only enhance the alliance as they seem to co-operate well with the big game QR.
Similar (though different) to adding AS and (maybe) B6, which overlap with AA, but given their close cooperation with AA enhance, don't (won't) detract from the alliance.
oneworld might do well to bring in some "connect partners", here's my wish list:
Asia- Vistara (yes they're owned by SQ and Tata (who now own AI) but Vistara and AI in Star would be overkill.
Africa- Rwandair and Air Senegal to give better continental coverage
South America- GOL, JetSmart Chile

My wish-list of future members would be:
Hawaiian
Air Tahiti Nui
Aer Lingus
Air Serbia
AirLink (South Africa)
Philippine Airways
China Southern
Porter Airlines
Jet Blue

I know i'm reaching there, but it's a wish-list.
Cheers,
AA1818

deltatrav

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:17 pm

Anyone have thoughts as to what this might mean for Gulf Air, Etihad (with new terminal) and Kuwait Airways (with new terminal)? Only mentioning the terminals because before they were certainly not a place for an int'l alliance to want to feed connections.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos