Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

simonriat
Topic Author

Tui 763 squawking 7700 (TOM5GM)

Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:46 am

Hi

Anybody have info.

Flight left Man bound for BVC but appears to have been circling for approx 2 hours (south east of Manchester). I know that the code means general emergency but 2 hours seems a long time for an emergency.

Thanks
Si

simonriat
Topic Author

Re: Tui 763 squawking 7700 (TOM5GM)

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:15 pm

Well it looks like it landed safely.

sk736

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:10 pm

A friend of mine was on board. Engine failure after takeoff, circled for a couple of hours to burn fuel, then landed safely. Passengers being put up in hotels tonight and replacement flight expected to leave tomorrow.

Rajahdhani

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:23 pm

sk736 wrote:
A friend of mine was on board. Engine failure after takeoff, circled for a couple of hours to burn fuel, then landed safely. Passengers being put up in hotels tonight and replacement flight expected to leave tomorrow.

I get needing to burn off the fuel and/or work in the holding patterns to analyze/act on the engine emergency. That said, do not all 763 have the ability to 'dump' fuel? Not saying that it was called for in this case, however - normally - would that not have been the normal procedure (ascend to about FL100 to allow disspation, sit in a holding pattern, dump, prepare for a safe return)? For those that understand better, are there conditions under which a 'dump' would be unsafe/not advisable? Either way, job very well done by the crew, and here's to a glad resolution to what has become a 'hectic' day for these true professionals (and let's thank Goodness for a moment that we live in a World where these crisis are not only manageable, but our professionals capable and ready to handle it). Once more, not an easy task list - hurrah to the crew!

C133

Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:52 pm

Pretty sure 767s cannot dump fuel, but they can land at takeoff weight. They could have burned off fuel to avoid overweight landing inspections, but only they know.

Natflyer

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:23 pm

C133 wrote:
Pretty sure 767s cannot dump fuel, but they can land at takeoff weight. They could have burned off fuel to avoid overweight landing inspections, but only they know.

As usual here, plenty of erroneous info. Most B767-300ER can dump fuel. That said, an overweight landing inspection takes two mechanics 15-20 minutes. Why they would fly all those holdings before landing makes me think they were not on one engine. Something more to the story.

ADB1

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:48 pm

Hi everyone, I saw the plane as it came in over Stockport ( around 6 miles from touchdown) He was lined up for 23L which is only used for southwesterly landings in emergency situations I believe. Couldn't be sure but it didn't look like his flaps were extended. According to FR24 the 763 landed at close to 200 knots!! Is this likely? I'm no expert but I believe 150 would be more usual. What great skill these pilots have.

ReverseFlow

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Natflyer wrote:
C133 wrote:

As usual here, plenty of erroneous info. Most B767-300ER can dump fuel. That said, an overweight landing inspection takes two mechanics 15-20 minutes. Why they would fly all those holdings before landing makes me think they were not on one engine. Something more to the story.

Risk mitigation?
As if you find something during those inspections you'll have more on your plate than flying around to dump/burn fuel.

Perhaps the jettison is optional?
As I can't see an outlet on the wing here

https://www.airliners.net/photo/TUI-TUI ... lY1xfkXEJE

Natflyer

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:05 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
Natflyer wrote:
C133 wrote:

Risk mitigation?
As if you find something during those inspections you'll have more on your plate than flying around to dump/burn fuel.

Fuel dumping was optional. As were the installation of one or two pumps for dumping rate. The only 767 I flew without dump capability was a non-ER.
And the fuel dump outlet (like a male member) is very visible in this picture, between the outboard flap and the aileron.

deebee278

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:14 pm

Natflyer wrote:
C133 wrote:

I think you're right. 'My' airline had many early model 763s that couldn't dump. The newer ones did. Someone replied that the aircraft could land at max takeoff weight if needed. There are charts the crew can refer to to determine if the runway length is acceptable. No professional is going to fly in circles for over two hours on one engine. I think they encountered an abnormal that required the engine be left in idle. Therefore, there was no immediate need to land...My Guess

TC957

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:10 pm

The 767 suffered an engine failure - it's on Aviation Herald now.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:37 pm

Why do ifr airplanes on discrete codes squawk emergency in Europe?

DocLightning

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:54 am

ReverseFlow wrote:

Just outboard of the outboard flaps and just inboard of the outboard aileron is a small tube.

ReverseFlow

Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:32 am

Natflyer wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

Risk mitigation?

Fuel dumping was optional. As were the installation of one or two pumps for dumping rate. The only 767 I flew without dump capability was a non-ER.
And the fuel dump outlet (like a male member) is very visible in this picture, between the outboard flap and the aileron.
DocLightning wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

Just outboard of the outboard flaps and just inboard of the outboard aileron is a small tube.
Thanks, yes. My sh!tty resolution on my phone doesn't help!

LTU330

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:34 pm

Natflyer wrote:
C133 wrote:

If two Mechanics are doing an Overweight Landing check in 15 to 20 minutes, they aren't doing it correctly. There are many other criteria to also consider based on what the Pilot reported, but even the basic Overweight Landing check isn't done in effectively 0.6 Manhours.

sk736

Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:29 pm

Natflyer wrote:
C133 wrote:

I provided the answer earlier in the thread…did you read it? My friend is not hard of hearing and made no mistake with reporting what the Captain had told her and the other passengers - there was an engine failure after takeoff and they circled to burn fuel before landing. Quite why you think you know something different is a mystery.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos