Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 7/22: Sunshine and Neos

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:05 pm

Good morning everyone and welcome to our latest thread. Hope you're all enjoying a nice summer - and not all of it spent queuing!

Here's a few highlights from a fairly busy month:
- IAA returns to profit
- Vueling adds SNN-ORY
- FR adds ORK-NCL and FCO, as well as Dublin-Leipzig and Asturias (both from November)
- Aer Lingus announces imminent introduction of A320 Neos; 186 seats!
- New EIR routes from BHD to CWL and SOU
- Large number of missing bags at DUB earlier this month (up to 500); has situation improved?
- Association of north American airlines criticises DUB on several fronts, including facilities for VIP and disabled pax, as well as delays.
- Concourse road in front of DUB terminal 1 closed; pax drop off moved to in front of parking garage
- New €4.9m contract for Aran Islands air services
- Two A332s returning to EI in early 2023; 'GEY will not return
- DUB Airport VIP service closed until further notice
- US lifts remaining restrictions on travel to US (e.g. need for PCR tests).
- Norse Atlantic gets slots at DUB
- Strikes thretened by FR's Spanish/Italian/Belgian based crews (to date nothing has materialised)
- Increasing number of EI cancellations due to staff illness, as a result of Covid
- New ATC tower opens at DUB
- EK delaying relaunch of second daily service due to handling agent issues

Things do appear to be improving at DUB, which is great and it's also good to see that traffic does seem to be coming close to 2019 levels. We're now approaching, if not in, the peak of the summer schedule, so let's hope DUB's ability to handle the increasing numbers is satisfactory.

Hope you all continue to enjoy this threat; I certainly do, and it's great to see that the enthusiasm endures!

Eirules

Re: Irish 7/22: Sunshine and Neos

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm

Just a note about Platinum services at Dublin. Though it was announced it was temporarily closing, it still hasn’t!! No new bookings are being accepted but all booking up to September are being honoured and they were already 80% fully booked when the announcement was made. Seems like a PR exercise and nothing more

LH982

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:41 pm

Lost bags are still a mess, and it now appears you have to fill in a form for customs, before the handler can deliver your bag.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the last thread, but Cargolux are now operating a weekly scheduled LAX-SEA-SNN-LUX service.

arcticcruiser

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:50 pm

kaitak wrote:
Good morning everyone and welcome to our latest thread. Hope you're all enjoying a nice summer - and not all of it spent queuing!

Here's a few highlights from a fairly busy month:
- IAA returns to profit

Em, so the Irish Aviation Regulator is a “for profit” organization?

BTW, the picture you paint of the situation at DUB is not that rosy for my operator (nor it appears for EK).

IFlyVeryLittle

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:55 pm

Flew round-trip through Dublin in early and mid-June, and was well aware of the horror stories but experienced none. Early AM arrival from USA (5 am), and was in the cab heading into town by 615 am. Arrived 3.5 hours before 930 am flight to USA and waited for AA desk to open at 7 (at which time they only accepted passengers for ORD flight, which was first of the day), moved through airport security in 20 minutes, waited for USA preclearance to open, moved through that in maybe 20 minutes and boarded flight without incident and pushed back on time. I get the airport has been the focus of a lot of angst, but it's not all a s---show. Apparently there are plenty of times it all works fine.

factsonly

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:

Em, so the Irish Aviation Regulator is a “for profit” organization?

The IAA consists of three sections, supposedly with a Chinese wall in between them:

1. The aviation regulator = fullfills the state aviation oversight role.
2. Aviation security oversight - fullfills a state function.
3. The operational section = provides national and oceanic ATM and support services.

The operational arm is permitted to recover all of its costs, including the cost of capital - this is seen as a commercial business and can report a 'profit'.

https://www.iaa.ie/who-we-are/about-the ... -authority

OA260

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:47 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Flew round-trip through Dublin in early and mid-June, and was well aware of the horror stories but experienced none. Early AM arrival from USA (5 am), and was in the cab heading into town by 615 am. Arrived 3.5 hours before 930 am flight to USA and waited for AA desk to open at 7 (at which time they only accepted passengers for ORD flight, which was first of the day), moved through airport security in 20 minutes, waited for USA preclearance to open, moved through that in maybe 20 minutes and boarded flight without incident and pushed back on time. I get the airport has been the focus of a lot of angst, but it's not all a s---show. Apparently there are plenty of times it all works fine.

Using DUB weekly I have to say 90% of my experiences have been ok . Then again I have been deliberately choosing off peak days and times and have fast track ( when open ) and business class check in . Had I not had those the experience would have been somewhat different. I know loads of people who have plenty of
very stressful experiences so it depends on the day / time and staffing situation .

--

I notice the FR AGP - DUB due in at 0925 is now due at
1655 . The FR IBZ - DUB due at 12:05 now due at 16:05

EI321

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:49 pm

Doesn't the majority of Europe to North America traffic pass through Irish air space, I'd imagine that's a lot of Business.

OA260

Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:08 pm

Looks like schedules are starting to be chopped and changed. I see BCN - DUB for this Saturday has been changed twice in the last few days and today by 2 hours . Now EI 563 is 13:25 / 15:20 .

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:53 pm

Flight cancellations are hitting again. I'm on the BA827 at 10:45am tomorrow... well, I was. Just checked my app and I see it's been cancelled. No e-mail notification, no nothing. It said to call a number and then it instructs you to e-mail the Duty Office at BA Holidays.

All the Aer Lingus flights are listed as sold out, so I'll be interested to see what they end up doing with me.

Good times!

OA260

Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:55 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Flight cancellations are hitting again. I'm on the BA827 at 10:45am tomorrow... well, I was. Just checked my app and I see it's been cancelled. No e-mail notification, no nothing. It said to call a number and then it instructs you to e-mail the Duty Office at BA Holidays.

All the Aer Lingus flights are listed as sold out, so I'll be interested to see what they end up doing with me.

Good times!

A couple of Aer Lingus flights to LGW have been axed too for tomorrow so the London airports are fully booked due to rebooks . BHD - LHR is £410 oneway !

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 pm

OA260 wrote:
A couple of Aer Lingus flights to LGW have been axed too for tomorrow so the London airports are fully booked due to rebooks . BHD - LHR is £410 oneway !

Yes, there's not even seats on Ryanair - everything to LON today 1 July with FR is also fully booked.

BrianDromey

Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:19 pm

Flew on a FR 8200 yesterday (EI-HGW, ORK-MAN).
The flight was delayed 2 hours in the end between delays picked up thought the day and a ground hold at ORK and waiting for busses at MAN. The crew were pretty disinterested and it seemed like it had been a long day for them, I think they went to ALC before the MAN-ORK-MAN turn and a few of Corks finest weren’t really doing much to improve their mood. The captain made an announcement that there was nothing available for sale as the bars had run out due to busy flights earlier in the day. Never known that to happen on FR before.
Legroom is pretty tight in the standard rows - I was at row 14, which has no window. So it would have been pretty clusterphobic on a full flight.
On the plus side the overhead bins are huge and the cabin is very quiet, overall I quite like the MAX, but I would choose an extra legroom seat (2A is probably one of the best, as 1A doesn’t exist)

Overall I think FR are doing a pretty decent job given the operational disasters they have to deal with. From crewing, ground handling, PRM, catering, ATC delays, security queues, the whole ground infrastructure is a disaster for every airline. Its clear that ramping an industry from 15% to 90% in the space of 5-6 months is going to be very difficult and its a wonder things aren’t even worse, quite honestly.

cc47

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:34 pm

Following on from my post about a week ago regarding my EI725 cancellation, I'm delighted to say Aer Lingus processed the refund, and they only did it for the return leg. My outbound leg remains, exactly as I requested. Thanks everyone on here for the help.

ClassicLover

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:57 pm

cc47 wrote:
Following on from my post about a week ago regarding my EI725 cancellation, I'm delighted to say Aer Lingus processed the refund, and they only did it for the return leg. My outbound leg remains, exactly as I requested. Thanks everyone on here for the help.

Great to have an update from you on that and I'm glad it all worked out swiftly and correctly, that's great news.

Meanwhile, since my last post about BA827 being cancelled, I've had major dramas. My itinerary was DUB-LHR-HND-SYD, so with the DUB-LHR cancelled, I received a reply to my e-mail at 2am with the offer of rebooking onto DUB-GLA-LHR on Aer Lingus Regional and BA. The EI flight was over an hour delayed that meant I missed my connection.

Ended up having no help at the airport or the first person I spoke to at BA Holidays. Second person reserved a seat for me on the GLA-LHR the following day and sent a high priority note to the Duty Office to get in touch as I was in transit and had no alternatives provided. Ended up overnighting in Glasgow, and tonight overnighting at Gatwick with my onward flight tomorrow morning.

My bag? Last tagged in Dublin and nobody knows where it is, and I've been advised not to put in a claim until I get to Sydney. While I was at the desk at GLA yesterday various people were coming up asking what to do due to cancellations. It's bedlam! When I got to GLA this morning, huge queues again. It's really extremely busy.

Today the BA flight was 2 hours late GLA-LHR and there were lots of Americans connecting. Some got good news that their MIA flight had been delayed, so they'd still make it, while others were off to find out from the staff. Crazy all round!

OA260

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:23 am

Apple Air Tags are great for seeing where your luggage is .

--

New public opinion poll out regarding the issues at DUB :

A large majority of people believe the Army should be drafted in to help at Dublin Airport, according to a Sunday Independent/Ireland Thinks opinion poll, as cancelled flights, missing baggage and long delays caused further significant disruption at the airport this weekend.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/n ... 09166.html

OA260

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:53 am

Aer Lingus cancels family’s €370 flight and then tells them they can fly three days later – for €1,400

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ ... 10685.html

What happened to the rules about being re protected ?

--

Government made needless descent into Dublin Airport DAA mayhem

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/gove ... 09160.html

Interesting read from Shane Ross

PhilipBass

Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:04 am

When I see a flight with a ticket price in the very high hundreds or thousands for a destination in Europe I assume the airline wants to discourage it being booked so that they can cancel the flight if the need arises. I don't see it as profiteering in the conventional sense. Although with high occupancy at the moment there may just be very few seats left on that plane

Vicenza

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:32 am

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus cancels family’s €370 flight and then tells them they can fly three days later – for €1,400

--

Except that Michael O'Leary couldn't give a damn about passengers, and never has. He is only concerned about profits above all else, and if passengers are an 'inconvenience' to that aim, he'll walk over and discard, them without a second thought when it suits.

PhilipBass

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:49 am

Where in that report are Ryanair failing to deliver a service. Are they the whipping boy of the Irish Skies. Aer Lingus are at fault here.

Vicenza

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:21 pm

PhilipBass wrote:
Where in that report are Ryanair failing to deliver a service. Are they the whipping boy of the Irish Skies. Aer Lingus are at fault here.

What are you talking about? I never mentioned Ryanair failing to deliver a service. My post was related to the article by Shane Ross, so how did you confuse that?

PhilipBass

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:22 pm

Does M O'L work for Aer Lingus?

Vicenza

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:04 pm

PhilipBass wrote:
Does M O'L work for Aer Lingus?

What on earth are you actually about, or some fixation regarding Aer Lingus?
An article link was posted regarding the DAA and which I commented on. It had nothing whatsoever to do with Aer Lingus, or Ryanir for that matter so I fail to understand your issue. Have you even read the article?

BrianDromey

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:13 pm

As I said in an earlier post, across the skies of Europe Ryanair are running the most stable and robust operation.
That’s not to say they are immune from delays - they are not. But in terms of cancellations, baggage issues and widespread disruption the rants on Social Media are notable by their absence - and we know how SM loves a Ryanair based rant!
Today easyJet parted company with their COO, EI and BA are having a torrid time, LH Group is no better, possibly worse. AMS is in meltdown and effecting KLM.
The question is why are Ryanair able to operate a 2019 scale schedule while their competitors are melting down?

PhilipBass

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:13 pm

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/ry ... 29471.html

Ryanair Load factor up to 95%, carried 16.5 million passengers in a month which is the best it has ever achieved and impact from strikes was and will be minimal.

PhilipBass

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:17 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
As I said in an earlier post, across the skies of Europe Ryanair are running the most stable and robust operation.
That’s not to say they are immune from delays - they are not. But in terms of cancellations, baggage issues and widespread disruption the rants on Social Media are notable by their absence - and we know how SM loves a Ryanair based rant!
Today easyJet parted company with their COO, EI and BA are having a torrid time, LH Group is no better, possibly worse. AMS is in meltdown and effecting KLM.
The question is why are Ryanair able to operate a 2019 scale schedule while their competitors are melting down?

To hazard a guess in answer to your question I'd say lack of transfer traffic and they have their passengers well trained at this stage along with a number of AOCs to keep their staff under the thumb.

DublinPaul

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:55 pm

Aer Lingus returns to the Dublin - Seattle route on this Thursday.
I think that just leaves Minneapolis and Baltimore as the only two outstanding pre-covid trans Atlantic routes?

fokker100sim

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 pm

Today we were supposed to fly ORK AMS on the aftenoon aer lingus flight.
Yesterday I looked at the Amsterdam airport site for arrivals today and saw that the aelingus flight was cancelled. Then I checked the Cork Airport site for departures today and that didn't even mention the EI flight anymore. No call, or sms or email that our flight was cancelled.
Only after calling aer lingus they confirmed it was indeed cancelled.
We have been quite happy with EI for many years, but not notifying that your flight is cancelled ??
Anyone with the same experience?

EIDL

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:03 pm

DublinPaul wrote:
Aer Lingus returns to the Dublin - Seattle route on this Thursday.
I think that just leaves Minneapolis and Baltimore as the only two outstanding pre-covid trans Atlantic routes?

Hartford

DublinPaul

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:09 pm

Oops - senior moment there on my part - thanks for that correction EIDL.

EI320

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:09 pm

BrianDromey wrote:

By and large FR did not let staff go during Covid like many of their competitors did.

Also, much of the disruption has been centered around Europe’s larger hubs (LHR, LGW, DUB, AMS, FRA etc) where FR have minimal or no presence (bar DUB of course).

These are the main factors that explain FR’s outperformance I believe.

BrianDromey

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:45 pm

EI320 wrote:
By and large FR did not let staff go during Covid like many of their competitors did.

Also, much of the disruption has been centered around Europe’s larger hubs (LHR, LGW, DUB, AMS, FRA etc) where FR have minimal or no presence (bar DUB of course.

How did FR manage to keep so many of their staff / contract crew compared to other airlines? Did the big groups just use it as an excuse to thin the ranks of higher paid, legacy crew? Did they simply fly more of their planned 2020/21 schedule than others?

Overall I fell their operational resilience is quite a bit better than their rivals. They have big operations at the likes of MAN, which can be an utter disaster. The multiple day disruption that TUI seem to suffer doesn’t happen at FR, for example. They haven’t closed bases like WizzAir have at DSA. STN is enormous yet seems much less problematic than Gatwick or Heathrow. Is is coincidence that the biggest STN operators self-handle? Jet2 truly self handle and Ryanair use their Blue Handling JV.
I noticed some Blue Handling baggage tugs at MAN last week - although I think Swissport still handle FR, maybe not for much longer?

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:09 pm

OA260 wrote:

--

I don't have the subscription but suspect it's a sensational headline.

EI320

Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 am

BrianDromey wrote:
EI320 wrote:

Also, much of the disruption has been centered around Europe’s larger hubs (LHR, LGW, DUB, AMS, FRA etc) where FR have minimal or no presence (bar DUB of course.

How did FR manage to keep so many of their staff / contract crew compared to other airlines? Did the big groups just use it as an excuse to thin the ranks of higher paid, legacy crew? Did they simply fly more of their planned 2020/21 schedule than others?

Overall I fell their operational resilience is quite a bit better than their rivals. They have big operations at the likes of MAN, which can be an utter disaster. The multiple day disruption that TUI seem to suffer doesn’t happen at FR, for example. They haven’t closed bases like WizzAir have at DSA. STN is enormous yet seems much less problematic than Gatwick or Heathrow. Is is coincidence that the biggest STN operators self-handle? Jet2 truly self handle and Ryanair use their Blue Handling JV.
I noticed some Blue Handling baggage tugs at MAN last week - although I think Swissport still handle FR, maybe not for much longer?

FR negotiated working time and pay reductions while keeping redundancies to a minimum. BA, LH, TUI, EZY on the other hand placed more emphasis on redundancies. Airport operators took the same approach. In some cases (notably BA) redundancies were used as a means of shedding legacy contracts.

While I don’t have the data to hand, I think another contributing factor to FR’s resilience was their decision to restore capacity ahead of competitors which allowed them time to iron out operational kinks before travel came roaring back. Recall our complaints on this forum earlier this year about EI’s snail-paced approach to restoring capacity. While EI sauntered along in sleep mode, FR was busy gearing up for a bumper summer travel season.

In hindsight, FR managed the pandemic better than most carriers and they are now reaping the rewards. They took a bet that demand would bounce back fast and it paid off. They probably don’t get sufficient credit for it.

EI320

Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:30 am

On the issue of self-handling - I’m sure it’s a factor. Many people are attracted to airline roles for the travel benefits they offer. For this reason, airlines surely find it easier to recruit for in-house ground roles than third-party agencies do.

OA260

Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:02 am

Metro linking Dublin Airport to city centre estimated to cost €9.5bn

Construction is expected to begin in 2025 and the route is expected to be completed between 2031-2034

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/202 ... cost-95bn/

Will we really ever see it happen thats the question .

LH982

Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:20 am

T2 bar/restaurant reopens on Thursday.

Enjoying the wonders of Gate 335

ClassicLover

Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:40 am

EI320 wrote:
FR negotiated working time and pay reductions while keeping redundancies to a minimum. BA, LH, TUI, EZY on the other hand placed more emphasis on redundancies. Airport operators took the same approach. In some cases (notably BA) redundancies were used as a means of shedding legacy contracts.

While I don’t have the data to hand, I think another contributing factor to FR’s resilience was their decision to restore capacity ahead of competitors which allowed them time to iron out operational kinks before travel came roaring back. Recall our complaints on this forum earlier this year about EI’s snail-paced approach to restoring capacity. While EI sauntered along in sleep mode, FR was busy gearing up for a bumper summer travel season.

In hindsight, FR managed the pandemic better than most carriers and they are now reaping the rewards. They took a bet that demand would bounce back fast and it paid off. They probably don’t get sufficient credit for it.

Ryanair do deserve the credit for managing the pandemic well and that comes down to the fact the airline is well managed and has good leadership. They don't make the money they do and have the on time performance, safety and reliability that they do without that being well managed. All credit to them and it's great to see an Irish business so well managed and such a household name throughout Europe.

In my view, they were also able to put people on reduced working time and pay reductions partly because they are in the main not unionised, their employment contracts and the fact they have kept employment costs low.

The older airlines are unionised and have legacy contracts, so for them, it is likely redundancies were the only way out. It was a win for them to shed legacy contracts, but also what option did they have? Any move to radically alter pay and conditions would likely have resulted in union resistance, and so they were, to an extent tied to the solutions they made due to historical factors in their organisation.

Either way, Ryanair is an extremely well run airline. They generally stick to what they know best, getting passengers from A to B with a minimum of fuss, while maximising the amount of money they extract from people. It's what all airlines should be doing, yet some really don't manage it all that well, when really it's business 101.

PhilipBass

Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:18 am

OA260 wrote:

Construction is expected to begin in 2025 and the route is expected to be completed between 2031-2034

I went to the public consultation for Metro West in Blanch Libraries nearly 20 years ago.

metro still won't feed passengers from Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo, Westport lines to the city centre or airport and my adventure with Dublin Express a few weeks ago didn't inspire confidence.
It is an awful lot of money for the limited utility it will provide.
Still have to wait until 2023 for scooters to be legalized at earliest.
another 3.5km out to st. vincents and U.C.D. would be nice but won't happen.

Clydenairways

Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:44 am

PhilipBass wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I went to the public consultation for Metro West in Blanch Libraries nearly 20 years ago.

metro still won't feed passengers from Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo, Westport lines to the city centre or airport and my adventure with Dublin Express a few weeks ago didn't inspire confidence.
It is an awful lot of money for the limited utility it will provide.
Still have to wait until 2023 for scooters to be legalized at earliest.
another 3.5km out to st. vincents and U.C.D. would be nice but won't happen.

Yeah, it really needed to be combined with stalled other projects such as Dart Underground to be fully integrated. However the problem for Metro North on its own is that it gets portrayed by the media headlines as a city center to airport link, but it is really badly needed public transport for a whole commuter corridor of Dublin, Swords, Balymun, Glasnevin etc.

Clydenairways

Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:01 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
EI320 wrote:

Ryanair do deserve the credit for managing the pandemic well and that comes down to the fact the airline is well managed and has good leadership. They don't make the money they do and have the on time performance, safety and reliability that they do without that being well managed. All credit to them and it's great to see an Irish business so well managed and such a household name throughout Europe.

In my view, they were also able to put people on reduced working time and pay reductions partly because they are in the main not unionised, their employment contracts and the fact they have kept employment costs low.

The older airlines are unionised and have legacy contracts, so for them, it is likely redundancies were the only way out. It was a win for them to shed legacy contracts, but also what option did they have? Any move to radically alter pay and conditions would likely have resulted in union resistance, and so they were, to an extent tied to the solutions they made due to historical factors in their organisation.

Either way, Ryanair is an extremely well run airline. They generally stick to what they know best, getting passengers from A to B with a minimum of fuss, while maximising the amount of money they extract from people. It's what all airlines should be doing, yet some really don't manage it all that well, when really it's business 101.

Fully agree with everything said here. I say Ryanair did use the wage subsidy scheme a lot and also put some people on temporary layoff. They also flew around empty aeroplanes during lockdown just to try and keep activity to keep crews going. But Im sure Easyjet and many others could have had similar opportunities so i wouldn't say that FR had any significant advantages.

But ultimately Ryanair just proved it is a very well run organisation and got its strategic planning and return to travel excecution much better than everybody else. No mean feat for such a massive company spanning across so many jurisdictions with different rules.

FluidFlow

Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:12 pm

OA260 wrote:

Let's just hope the tunnel height is right....

dstc47

Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:55 pm

"Yeah, it really needed to be combined with stalled other projects such as Dart Underground to be fully integrated. However the problem for Metro North on its own is that it gets portrayed by the media headlines as a city center to airport link, but it is really badly needed public transport for a whole commuter corridor of Dublin, Swords, Balymun, Glasnevin etc.[/quote]"

Anybody have a clue where the airport station will be eventually, and probably inconveniently, be located, given the number of changes in the area originally foreseen as the airport stop?
Did this Metro not have a "relaunch" as recently as 2015 with a 2027 completion? Dont give up your place in the queue for the Aircoach.

Nice to see that the Ballymun New Town, created 1966, just might have a rail link to the city by 2036.

Lesquin

Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:17 pm

Anybody have a clue where the airport station will be eventually,

On the Metrolink website, there are artist's impressions of some of the possible stations for the route, including the one at Dublin airport.

https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloa ... 4_0419.pdf

This seems to suggest that it would be where the T2 surface car park is at the moment.

LH982

Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:29 pm

Fully agree with everything said above. It's both terribly late and poorly integrated, if they ever actually build it.

BDKLEZ

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:53 am

PhilipBass wrote:
When I see a flight with a ticket price in the very high hundreds or thousands for a destination in Europe I assume the airline wants to discourage it being booked so that they can cancel the flight if the need arises. I don't see it as profiteering in the conventional sense. Although with high occupancy at the moment there may just be very few seats left on that plane

Indeed, the Revenue Management teams will simply have been instructed to remove all lower fares from sale. This is two-pronged. Firstly as you say, those seeking something cheap and cheerful simply won’t be interested and the discouragement tactic will have worked. Secondly, the top-line fares being sold (mostly speaking) are fully flexible/refundable as part of the fare conditions of sale. Therefore, if the flight is cancelled, those who have purchased the higher fare will be rebooked/refunded without any further discussion having to be entered into.

Either way, bookings will be kept to as minimum as possible as a result, therefore allowing the airline in question more flexibility when it comes to the event of having to cancel/combine certain sectors.

An unfortunate, but clever way to help to contribute to the easing of the ever-present backlog and Europe wide airport chaos by reducing passenger numbers by default. It buys some extra time to work on a more firm resolution, regardless of how the situation has come about or who’s fault it was in the first place.

OA260

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:09 am

The following departing flights have been affected by the cancellations:

EI352 to Munich
EI166 to London LHR
EI178 to London LHR
Additionally, the KL934 Klm Royal Dutch Airlines to Amsterdam and SK4604 Sas to Oslo have also been cancelled. The following Aer Lingus flights scheduled to fly to Dublin Airport have been cancelled:

EI693 from Dusseldorf
EI383 from Hamburg
EI353 from Munich
EI167 from London LHR
EI179 from London LHR

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... 410300.amp

OA260

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:21 am

Prime Time reporting from DUB regarding the lost luggage issues .

"At Dublin Airport on Tuesday, some passengers looked tired, lost and more than a little fed up. But these weren't passengers who had just arrived on planes. Instead, they had come back to the terminal in a desperate effort to trace lost luggage."

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/ ... n-airport/

Eirules

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:35 am

OA260 wrote:
Prime Time reporting from DUB regarding the lost luggage issues .

"At Dublin Airport on Tuesday, some passengers looked tired, lost and more than a little fed up. But these weren't passengers who had just arrived on planes. Instead, they had come back to the terminal in a desperate effort to trace lost luggage."

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/ ... n-airport/

Prime Time have some nerve. They were amongst the loudest voices vilifying people for travelling in the previous two years

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos