Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dstc47

Re: Irish 7/22: Sunshine and Neos

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:04 am

al2637 wrote:
https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/Report_on_Consultation_on_Emerging_Preferred_Route.pdf (page 35)

https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloa ... 4_0419.pdf

Thanks, seems to be the same inconvenient location, behind the Multi-Story car park and the Church, as previously proposed.
No suggestion of any underground passage way into either Terminal for safety and weather protection.

cc47

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:17 am

Anyone know why EI are playing musical chairs with the ORK-based aircraft so much lately. EI-DVJ is the latest to randomly have spent a night in DUB last night, before switching back to ORK this morning. Whatever they're doing is causing delays, as last night's Malaga flight left 2 hours late to accomodate EI-DVJ going back to DUB. EI-DVG had a similar episode last week.

dstc47

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:18 am

dstc47 wrote:
al2637 wrote:
https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/Report_on_Consultation_on_Emerging_Preferred_Route.pdf (page 35)

Thanks, seems to be the same inconvenient location, behind the Multi-Story car park and the Church, as previously proposed.
No suggestion of any underground passage way into either Terminal for safety and weather protection.

On re-examining the plans, one diagram seems to show access to the Metro Station in front of the car park
The other one shows it behind the car park and church.

Like much of our transport planning, it remains a mystery.

OA260

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:22 am

Interesting read from the Irish Times most we already know but she also touches on Dublin Airports recent Twitter "come back" but at a time when tempers are flared they may need to be a bit more contrite.

Róisín Ingle: At Dublin Airport, people age before my very eyes
I had occasion to pass through the sorry mess that is our main airport last weekend

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-style/p ... n-airport/

aviator2000

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:27 am

Aer Lingus have been using the A330 on the DUB-BCN route multiple times in the last few weeks. Does anyone know what might be the reason for this increase?

al2637

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:32 am

dstc47 wrote:
On re-examining the plans, one diagram seems to show access to the Metro Station in front of the car park
The other one shows it behind the car park and church.

I assume there will be multiple exit/entry points. The position of the underground station doesn't necessarily indicate the entry points. I'm assuming if it has tunneled under the runway and terminals it may be at quite a depth, so could be multiple escalators to ground level.

I'm not sure an underground passage would be that useful, you will need to come up eventually anyway. A covered or enclosed walkway to the terminals would be a lot more cost effective.

As for connectivity, I think this proposal does quite well.... connects with:
DART West and DART South West at Glasnevin
DART Coastal and Wexford line at Tara Street
Luas Green at Charlemont

As someone stated above, this shouldn't be thought of as an airport metro, it is a public transport solution for vast swathes of north Dublin currently unconnected to the rail network.

aerlingusa330

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:50 pm

dstc47 wrote:
al2637 wrote:

It's not shown in a design, but an underground passage to the terminal is documented on page 33 as a concern.

aerdingus

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:23 pm

aviator2000 wrote:
Aer Lingus have been using the A330 on the DUB-BCN route multiple times in the last few weeks. Does anyone know what might be the reason for this increase?

I spotted this too. Maybe to recover canx flights?

Speaking of EI A330s, I'm finally booked on one to AGP next month. Excited to finally fly on one!

BangersAndMash

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Flybe taking the axe at BHD.

Aberdeen, Inverness, and Newcastle dropped entirely. Service reductions on most other routes.

https://www.flybe.com/en/support/summer2022

OA260

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Flybe taking the axe at BHD.

Aberdeen, Inverness, and Newcastle dropped entirely. Service reductions on most other routes.

https://www.flybe.com/en/support/summer2022

Flymaybe 2.0 ! Thank god we have Aer Lingus at BHD .

BangersAndMash

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:12 pm

I don't think SOU is long for this world.

They want £289 for a return on the few days they will still fly it! Aer Lingus wants £74. Even Eastern, at £126 is a steal. They're clearly not in the business of selling tickets on that route.

CairnterriAIR

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:45 pm

DublinPaul wrote:
Aer Lingus returns to the Dublin - Seattle route on this Thursday.
I think that just leaves Minneapolis and Baltimore as the only two outstanding pre-covid trans Atlantic routes?

Still waiting for BDL (Hartford)

JAmie2k9

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:25 pm

EIEIDW

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:03 pm

Ryanair holding press conference tomorrow announcing new routes from Belfast

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busine ... 18983.html

OA260

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:39 pm

Sale of Dublin Airport car park cleared for take-off at €70m
Former Quickpark has 6,122 long-stay spaces and is only privately-owned car park permitted to serve the airport

https://www.irishtimes.com/property/com ... ff-at-70m/

Hopefully any buyer will reopen it asap unless any office development causes issues with it . Parking fully booked at DUB this weekend .

PhilipBass

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:13 pm

Let them develop offices so long as a massive multi-storey parkhouse is built too
This place near Frankfurt Airport has 2100 spaces on a very compact site which googlemaps tells me has a footprint of about 10,000 sq metres.
https://www.parkhausplatzhirsch.de/

Car won't be covered in dust or without alloys when you return either.

Vicenza

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:21 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

They want £289 for a return on the few days they will still fly it! Aer Lingus wants £74. Even Eastern, at £126 is a steal. They're clearly not in the business of selling tickets on that route.

It could also very much indicate that £289 tickets are all that is left, with the cheaper fares already booked

FLYKTPA

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:56 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
DublinPaul wrote:
I think that just leaves Minneapolis and Baltimore as the only two outstanding pre-covid trans Atlantic routes?

It’s only MSP and BDL. Aer Lingus never offered BWI

BangersAndMash

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:04 pm

Vicenza wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

It could also very much indicate that £289 tickets are all that is left, with the cheaper fares already booked

They've just trashed their entire schedule so I think not likely.

OA260

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:20 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

They used to be a decent well respected operation in the 90's. Jersey European / British European . It all went wrong when they tried to deviate from their core bread and butter and try to be something they could never achieve.

I remember them at the old Belfast Harbour Airport ( Old Terminal ) . The 146's to LGW they had business class and a hot breakfast . A decent lounge too with a small but fair FF program.

Flybe brings back memories of outrageous pricing even when aircraft were half empty . Missed connections and business meetings due to their unreliable operation and ripping of customers with tricky cabin bag rules designed to catch people out .

The new 2.0 is sadly living up to its previous relative. Im just hoping Aer Lingus stick with BHD - SOU for the long term as its badly needed a stable reliable service .

I heard DUB - SOU is on the cards with EI too which would be great news .

3D101CA

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:25 pm

Would UA reconsider SFO-DUB perhaps? The route was supposed to be launched, but was pulled from reservations. UA has resumed many routes with sizeable tech demand as of right now. Don't know how the tech market is, but just wondering how things are.

ClassicLover

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:18 am

OA260 wrote:
Prime Time reporting from DUB regarding the lost luggage issues .

"At Dublin Airport on Tuesday, some passengers looked tired, lost and more than a little fed up. But these weren't passengers who had just arrived on planes. Instead, they had come back to the terminal in a desperate effort to trace lost luggage."

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/ ... n-airport/

Same happened to me when I missed my connection in GLA last Friday. My bag is missing and I have no idea where it is, nor have I been given a tracking number when I reported it when I got to Sydney. There's no way I am going to see it again until I get back to Dublin.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:26 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
DublinPaul wrote:

A nugget of trivia: EI used to fly DUB-SNN-BWI in the early 2000s (initially launched in summer 2000 and was on and off until about 2004 when it was permanently cut). They used the same flight numbers as today's DUB-IAD (EI119/EI118).

https://www.independent.ie/business/oro ... 14146.html

Vicenza

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:06 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Perhaps 'not likely', but not definitive, and the cancellations are the result of non/late delivery of aircraft as expected.

Eirules

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:11 am

EIEIDW wrote:

12 new routes to be launched;
Alicante
Beauvais
Bergamo
East Midlands
Edinburgh
Faro
Gdansk
Girona
Krakow
London Stansted
Malaga
Manchester

Let’s see how long the latest Belfast foray lasts

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:47 am

Eirules wrote:
EIEIDW wrote:

I was thinking the same...they've had a rocky history in the North; can't seem to decide what Belfast airport they want, love making dramatic announcements about leaving NI (then a few weeks later adding back a few token routes from LDY) etc.

TUGMASTER

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:49 am

Thought BHD not BFS was the airport of choice.
And I’m sure all those routes are very capable of 737 ops without any penalty.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:30 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
Thought BHD not BFS was the airport of choice.
And I’m sure all those routes are very capable of 737 ops without any penalty.

They originally started at BHD but had weight limits to some Euro destinations due to the runway length so they moved to BFS. Then they pulled out altogether and last year they decided on a split operation between the two before leaving again.

Clydenairways

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:06 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Eirules wrote:
EIEIDW wrote:

I was thinking the same...they've had a rocky history in the North; can't seem to decide what Belfast airport they want, love making dramatic announcements about leaving NI (then a few weeks later adding back a few token routes from LDY) etc.

I wonder why Ryanair has not been successful in Belfast in the past, i would have thought that their model would have been perfect for the market.

Vicenza

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:51 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Eirules wrote:

I wonder why Ryanair has not been successful in Belfast in the past, i would have thought that their model would have been perfect for the market.

They have always been successful, in and of itself, in Belfast but, not unusually, keep demanding special treatment. I'm not altogether sure though what you mean by "perfect for the market"

OA260

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:48 pm

EI GPN operated the inaugural BHD - SOU today.
It landed 13 mins early .

BangersAndMash

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:08 pm

OA260 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

They used to be a decent well respected operation in the 90's. Jersey European / British European . It all went wrong when they tried to deviate from their core bread and butter and try to be something they could never achieve.

I remember them at the old Belfast Harbour Airport ( Old Terminal ) . The 146's to LGW they had business class and a hot breakfast . A decent lounge too with a small but fair FF program.

Flybe brings back memories of outrageous pricing even when aircraft were half empty . Missed connections and business meetings due to their unreliable operation and ripping of customers with tricky cabin bag rules designed to catch people out .

The new 2.0 is sadly living up to its previous relative. Im just hoping Aer Lingus stick with BHD - SOU for the long term as its badly needed a stable reliable service .

I heard DUB - SOU is on the cards with EI too which would be great news .

To be fair, independent regional is a tough, unforgiving business model at the best of times. There's not a lot of room for error.

I feel their problem is that the space has been occupied since the demise of old Flybe. They're just not needed any more. And they're not offering anything compelling to entice people to switch.

EA are not done with fleet growth so I'm sure we will see some more routes being added from them. DUB-SOU wouldn't surprise me one bit.

BangersAndMash

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:15 pm

Vicenza wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

Perhaps 'not likely', but not definitive, and the cancellations are the result of non/late delivery of aircraft as expected.

The 'let's blame the lessors' story just doesn't add up. While it might justify dropping the new routes due to start in August, I can't see how that would explain cutting back the existing UK regional network to the bone. Pretty much everything, apart from LHR, AMS, and the random summer seasonal routes to France has been gutted. They don't need any of these supposedly delayed aircraft to operate that.

Allanc1987

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:09 pm

A330-300, G-EIDY has gone back Aer Lingus and re-registered to EI-EDY,
I suspect G-EILA will go back Aer Lingues as EI-ELA
and possibly that A330-200 EI-DAA and EI-DUO will transfer to Aer Lingus UK

Vicenza

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

The 'let's blame the lessors' story just doesn't add up. While it might justify dropping the new routes due to start in August, I can't see how that would explain cutting back the existing UK regional network to the bone. Pretty much everything, apart from LHR, AMS, and the random summer seasonal routes to France has been gutted. They don't need any of these supposedly delayed aircraft to operate that.

Again, perhaps, but equally no story ever usually adds up on a.net....a.net being a.net and the abundance of armchair CEO's. They only view I honestly have on such things is I consider an airline to have more knowledge, and which they do not have to share. You may well be right indeed, or equally at this point, you may not.

IrishLessor

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:22 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

They have always been successful, in and of itself, in Belfast but, not unusually, keep demanding special treatment. I'm not altogether sure though what you mean by "perfect for the market"

I don't think Ryanair actually have had much success in the Belfast market. They had a golden opportunity to fly BFS LGW route when the slots were given to them as part of the approval of IAG takeover of EI. The domestic market sells late and Ryanair can't handle that, they want to sell well in advance and as a result discount incredible to fill seats early on and even up to the day before travel. There pricing model has never been satisfactory for their needs on routes like BFS/LGW, STN to EDI/GLA etc. Given the scarcity of LGW especially at that time, if the BFS LGW route was satisfactory they never would have axed it. My tuppence worth.

BHD is not suitable for a base due to the opening hours and the cost associated with poorer utilisation, equally huge car parking rates make it very difficult as a holiday airport. Belfast market is very seasonal. That all said they went for a different route makeup, with some secondary airports featuring.

Eagleboy

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:07 am

FLYKTPA wrote:

They did. Back in the early 2000s, maybe for 2 years?
Before they operated into IAD.

ELBOB

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:26 am

Vicenza wrote:

They only view I honestly have on such things is I consider an airline to have more knowledge, and which they do not have to share.

They certainly have more data, but whether they successfully transform that into information and knowledge is debatable.

KIRFlyer

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:57 am

Kerry Airport had 3 Boeing 737-500s on Monday/Tuesday this week from the USA. They were originally planned for Dublin. Does anyone have any information about who they were and how they wound up in Kerry? Seen the information on a FB post.

eicvd

Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:18 am

KIRFlyer wrote:
Kerry Airport had 3 Boeing 737-500s on Monday/Tuesday this week from the USA. They were originally planned for Dublin. Does anyone have any information about who they were and how they wound up in Kerry? Seen the information on a FB post.

They came from SOU with American cruise pax & were apparently originally destined for SNN but with the pro am golf SNN couldn’t handle them.

Vicenza

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 pm

ELBOB wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

They only view I honestly have on such things is I consider an airline to have more knowledge, and which they do not have to share.

They certainly have more data, but whether they successfully transform that into information and knowledge is debatable.

Yes, a valid enough point.....but information and knowledge to whom though?

OA260

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:42 pm

Seems some of the DUB-ACE-DUB flights are being re organised with Privilege Style taking over and some flights with 2 hours time changes. On some days the EI 779 will now operate
2220/0225.

Galwayman

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:26 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

I like the way FR have the organisational flexibility to enter and leave markets so quickly . It’s superb

I suspect they know EasyJets days are numbered so both them and Wizz will go for the kill over the next winter season . Once Easy are gone Wizz will keep out of NI and FR will own the market completely

BrianDromey

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Galwayman wrote:
I suspect they know EasyJets days are numbered so both them and Wizz will go for the kill over the next winter season . Once Easy are gone Wizz will keep out of NI and FR will own the market completely

I don't think there is a shred of evidence that easyJet's days are numbered? They have certainly had some challenges and haven't bounced back in the same way that FR and W6 have. But with such a huge part of their operation being UK-based, I dont think thats surprising.
Wizz might go for another attempt at easyJet, they are pretty undervalued at present, but thats about as dramatic as it would be. I doubt IAG, LH or AF/KL would get regulatory clearance to acquire easyJet either.

PhilipBass

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:40 pm

Easyjet are right up at the top of the charts with Flybe in the Angst-chart for passengers.
If you aren't offering quality then you have to offer reliability or Customers will look elsewhere.

Galwayman

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:48 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

I don't think there is a shred of evidence that easyJet's days are numbered? They have certainly had some challenges and haven't bounced back in the same way that FR and W6 have. But with such a huge part of their operation being UK-based, I dont think thats surprising.
Wizz might go for another attempt at easyJet, they are pretty undervalued at present, but thats about as dramatic as it would be. I doubt IAG, LH or AF/KL would get regulatory clearance to acquire easyJet either.

Nobody needs to buy EasyJet now . They’re essentially worthless . Just let them go under . Pick up the routes for free , the fleets not really worth bothering about and the crew will be looking for jobs . Waste of money to buy EasyJet

Galwayman

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:56 pm

And of course BA have lower costs than EasyJet at Gatwick now . EasyJet management really took their eye off the ball big time … I feel sorry for the staff

OA260

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:41 pm

Passengers demand to access their luggage with GPS tracker in bags

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/07 ... t-luggage/

So near but yet so far !

PhilipBass

Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:50 am

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/poli ... 13546.html
Risk of Taoiseach getting 'stuck' overseas due to 'intolerable' Government jet
I don't know how it is possible to get potentially stranded in Belguim since it is so well served from Dublin but OK.

iRISH251

Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:17 am

PhilipBass wrote:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40913546.html
Risk of Taoiseach getting 'stuck' overseas due to 'intolerable' Government jet
I don't know how it is possible to get potentially stranded in Belguim since it is so well served from Dublin but OK.

The establishment of reliable and flexible capacity for senior government members to travel internationally should not be an issue. Why is this even still being debated in Ireland, over 40 years since the Air Corps' first "government jet" entered service. https://flic.kr/p/22mi6wf

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos